The time to say no to a level cap increase?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Stooperdale.3560

Stooperdale.3560

As far as I can tell, increasing the level cap will only add more grind to the game. New skills and skill points can be added without extra levels. New content and story can be added without extra levels. Content can scale already without extra levels. Cosmetics can be added without extra levels. It will however just make all the level 80 items substandard at the new level cap and make players gear up all over again.

Does anyone want a level cap increase or can the player base reject it, now and forever?

Posted by: Tom Gore.4035

Tom Gore.4035

I’d like a level cap increase now, with no ascended items at the new maximum cap, ever.

One – Piken Square

Posted by: marnick.4305

marnick.4305

Rejected unanimously by the GW1 veterans.

If I can’t play Guild Wars 2 at work, I won’t work in Guild Wars 2 either.
Delayed content is eventually good. Rushed content is eternally bad. ~ Shigeru Miyamoto

Posted by: Gandalf.5803

Gandalf.5803

You can’t speak for someone else. It’s bull.

On topic: i wouldn’t like a level cap increase

Posted by: TheDaiBish.9735

TheDaiBish.9735

No level cap increase would be rejected by GW1 vets? o.O

I’d have said they’d approve of it.

I personally can’t see the point of a level cap increase. Things like new skills, traits, trait points, trait-line expansion ect could easily be added as a level-cap activity, and the game would benefit more from it (providing it was done well), than some arbitrary 10 levels and gain them every time you level up.

Not only that, providing they don’t add anything above Ascended, they can easily balance content around the level 80, instead of continuously tweaking their scaling every time they add a new level cap so players don’t sneeze and kill everything in lower level zones.

Life is a journey.
Time is a river.
The door is ajar.

Posted by: Morrigan.2809

Morrigan.2809

oh please can we never never have a level cap increase? like ever.
None of the things they can add to game requires it and it just opens a can of worms that should really stay closed

Gunnar’s Hold

Posted by: Windu The Forbidden One.6045

Windu The Forbidden One.6045

Absolutely not, I would have to buy new gear for all my characters. Not to mention transmute it all, it would be a nightmare.

Dear A-net: Please nerf rock. Paper is fine
~Sincerely, Scissors

Posted by: marnick.4305

marnick.4305

They wouldn’t. Most GW1 veterans will claim that GW2 has 60 levels too many already.

I’ve yet to hear any GW1 player with either decent pvp rank or 50/50 and GWAMM to ask for more levels.

There’s no point to levels outside of pen and paper.

If I can’t play Guild Wars 2 at work, I won’t work in Guild Wars 2 either.
Delayed content is eventually good. Rushed content is eternally bad. ~ Shigeru Miyamoto

TheDaiBish.9735

They wouldn’t. Most GW1 veterans will claim that GW2 has 60 levels too many already.

I’ve yet to hear any GW1 player with either decent pvp rank or 50/50 and GWAMM to ask for more levels.

Wouldn’t it be a case, then, that they’d reject a level cap increase, as opposed to rejecting 80 being the level cap forever (thus no level cap increase)?

Life is a journey.
Time is a river.
The door is ajar.

Posted by: generalraccoon.3857

generalraccoon.3857

HELL NO to lvl cap increase! I can’t see it as anything other than a trick to keep ppl grinding for stuff.

Posted by: Fletch.3572

Fletch.3572

So much scaling of your level in this game, makes it kind of meaningless in the first place.
They had to make it appear more mmo like, that’s the only reason I can think of for their 80.

Posted by: ASB.4295

ASB.4295

It’s not about what’s a good idea or what enriches the game in the developers eyes. It’s about what makes the most money, preferably in the short term. Having a stagnating progression curve that fails to pressure or heavily encourage the majority of players to keep playing, increasing the time they’re being exposed to gem store offers, will result in a smaller average gem store revenue, making it harder for them to get permission to create new content, decreasing average player retention, which lowers the number of players exposed to the gem store and consequently the size of the revenue gained from it.

tl;dr if you are against a level cap increase, you are killing the game

TheDaiBish.9735

It’s not about what’s a good idea or what enriches the game in the developers eyes. It’s about what makes the most money, preferably in the short term. Having a stagnating progression curve that fails to pressure or heavily encourage the majority of players to keep playing, increasing the time they’re being exposed to gem store offers, will result in a smaller average gem store revenue, making it harder for them to get permission to create new content, decreasing average player retention, which lowers the number of players exposed to the gem store and consequently the size of the revenue gained from it.

What if I told you that there were other methods of progression other than leveling?

Life is a journey.
Time is a river.
The door is ajar.

No

A level cap increase is totally the only way to keep people playing, sure, totally, uhu….

~Sincerely, Scissors

Posted by: Justdeifyme.9387

Justdeifyme.9387

Level Cap increase means I’m gone.

Posted by: Wukunlin.8461

Wukunlin.8461

Level cap increase means time for RL for me

Oceanic [LOD]

Posted by: sweatycool.9624

sweatycool.9624

As far as I can tell, increasing the level cap will only add more grind to the game. New skills and skill points can be added without extra levels. New content and story can be added without extra levels. Content can scale already without extra levels. Cosmetics can be added without extra levels. It will however just make all the level 80 items substandard at the new level cap and make players gear up all over again.

Does anyone want a level cap increase or can the player base reject it, now and forever?

Where are you getting this information that there is a level cap increase?
My own word: Anet has already said on some post during November that they plan to increase the level cap higher some time later in gw2, but are they doing it is beyond me.

As what my mighty Norn says, EAT MORE BACON

- I Eat Bacon, from Ferguson’s Crossing.

Posted by: stemare.2578

stemare.2578

As a GW1 veteran, an increased level cap would really make me think to stop playing GW2, even if I liked the game so far (beside ascended).

Stemare ~ Guardian ~ lv80 ~ Far Shiverpeaks
Ci Assediamo Da Soli [SIGH] ~ Officier

Posted by: Beldin.5498

Beldin.5498

Not that i’m in favor for a level cap increase, but i just have the feeling that we will get it after everyone has at least a set of ascended armor, and all the MMO Locusts start again to cry that there is nothing to do.

Or of course we will get instanced raids, because so much people now want them as the lesser evil than having Tequatl in the open world, and the next can of gear progression will be opened with that.

EVERY MMO is awesome until it is released then its unfinished. A month after release it just sucks.
Best MMOs are the ones that never make it. Therefore Stargate Online wins.

Posted by: LordByron.8369

LordByron.8369

If there is one thing i learnt from this game is anet doesn t care of players opinion….

And this topic is unfortunately useless.

There was one of the longest threads i ever seen on a forum against ascended tier yet it was just deleted.

Only thing you can do is accept or leave.

GW2 balance:
A PvE player is supposed to avoid a 1-2 second 1 shotting aoe.
A WWW player is considered uncapable of avoiding a 5,75 second aoe for half his health.

Posted by: Copestetic.5174

Copestetic.5174

+1

Posted by: Junkpile.7439

Junkpile.7439

What kind of wannabe WoW this would be if you can’t grind more levels? We already can grind stats so level cap increase is next natural step.

Low quality trolling since launch
Seafarer’s Rest EotM grinch

What kind of wannabe WoW this would be

You are joking right?

~Sincerely, Scissors

Posted by: Justdeifyme.9387

Justdeifyme.9387

yeah that would be one of the dumbest posts I’ve read if it isn’t sarcasm

Posted by: LanfearShadowflame.3189

LanfearShadowflame.3189

As a GW1 vet, I do agree… no level cap increase please.

Although, I wouldn’t say it has 60 too many. I was fine when they said they were doing a higher level cap waaaaay back in the beginning. Although…I think they should have stopped at like 50… or 60, and then had a bunch of lvl 50-60 zones.

Don’t look at me like that. Whatever you’ve heard, it’s probably not true.

Posted by: TooBz.3065

TooBz.3065

The exponential grown in the level of grind required for each new item scares me so that I don’t want it. I’m not looking forward to the day when a legendary is the easy way to get max gear.

Anything I post is just the opinion of a very vocal minority of 1.

Posted by: colesy.8490

colesy.8490

level cap means power leveling through dungeons and then having to grind level whatever gear

Sanctum of Rall (NA) – [LOD] – PvE/Dungeon Phantasm Mesmer build
Morrï (Mesmer) | Serah Mahariel (Guardian) | Morrï Mahariel (Warrior)
“colesy’s on rampage today. Slaying casuals left, right and centre” – spoj

Posted by: Draco.2806

Draco.2806

HELL NO

15char

Posted by: carabidus.6214

carabidus.6214

I would be in favor of a level cap increase if and only if:

1) All currently held (soulbound) level 80 exotics are grandfathered into the BiS category

2) Complete removal or major overhaul of how ascended items are obtained. For instance, ascended items obtainable thorough extensive and tough quest chains.

3) The addition of several more end game PvE zones complete with new dungeons.

Well, I can dream, at least…

(edited by carabidus.6214)

Posted by: Beldin.5498

Beldin.5498

I would be in favor of a level cap increase if and only if:

1) All currently held (soulbound) level 80 exotics are grandfathered into the BiS category

But that would invalidate the reason why level caps exist. Having to play for new max gear is the only real reason.

EVERY MMO is awesome until it is released then its unfinished. A month after release it just sucks.
Best MMOs are the ones that never make it. Therefore Stargate Online wins.

Posted by: Astralporing.1957

Astralporing.1957

I’d like a level cap increase now, with no ascended items at the new maximum cap, ever.

The only reason they might increase the level cap is to invalidate the current equipment and force regear grind. You will never get one without the other.

Actions, not words.
Remember, remember, 15th of November

Posted by: carabidus.6214

carabidus.6214

But that would invalidate the reason why level caps exist. Having to play for new max gear is the only real reason.

Perhaps this is true in a game where the progression is gear based. I propose a more skill based progression from levels 80 to X. Personally, I would rather have access to more interesting skills and skills with more synergy than just boosting gear stats.

Posted by: Draknar.5748

Draknar.5748

The only reason they might increase the level cap is to invalidate the current equipment and force regear grind. You will never get one without the other.

Adding new tiers would accomplish the same thing. Level cap increase would serve absolutely no purpose. I spend most of my time in non-80 level areas anyway, what difference would it make to me if I was level 90 in a level 50 zone instead of 80 in a 50 zone? I’m downscaled to 50. In PvP and WvW you are upscaled to max level, so level increase makes no difference there either.

I won’t stop because I can’t stop.

It’s a medical condition, they say its terminal….

Posted by: Algreg.3629

Algreg.3629

with the level content scaling, it makes absolutely no sense to raise the level cap. If they do this, it would show they do not even understand their own game anymore.

Posted by: Xiroku.7604

Xiroku.7604

I’d prefer more weapon skills obtained via skill points or something then a level cap increase.

Might be just me, but I kinda dislike having to use certain weapons for different builds, I’d prefer to use the weapon I like with the build I like….

Posted by: spoj.9672

spoj.9672

No ty. I get bored enough lvling alts to 80. And making all my gear sub standard would be incredibly frustrating. Just give us more dungeons, elite dungeons and content for end game.

Posted by: Woodsman Silencio.9361

Woodsman Silencio.9361

The only moment that i would welcome a Level cap increase is when the day comes that they have done the math to totally drop the level cap. Untilll then they can add more variations to the game almost endlessly and have us go for the next set of armor/weapons/jewelry.

For instance: they could make a dragon stand up and undefeatable unless the majority has type x armor/weapon/jewelry. The math to make this happen doesn’t need a level cap increase.

As gw1 altoholic veteran i can honestly say that i got more then enough to do on my 8 characters for the coming 8 years at least and that’s without the upcoming ascended armor. That wil add another 4 years or so.

Co-founder and Co-leader of: Global Guild of Dark.

Posted by: Dual.8953

Dual.8953

The game isn’t even designed for Levels beyond 80, heck, it’s not even designed to use levelling as a means to prolong your experience. Removing levels all together would make more sense then upping the max level.
So no. No upping max level.
Before I don my tin foil hat. May I ask if a level cap increase has been annouced? Devs making statements to avert putting their feet in thier mouths don’t count.

Registered Altaholic
Part-time Kittenposter

Posted by: sinzer.4018

sinzer.4018

I don’t support arbitrarily increasing numbers so no i don’tr support increased level cap. Seems a bit pointless to me.

Posted by: IndigoSundown.5419

IndigoSundown.5419

The game isn’t even designed for Levels beyond 80, heck, it’s not even designed to use levelling as a means to prolong your experience. Removing levels all together would make more sense then upping the max level.
So no. No upping max level.
Before I don my tin foil hat. May I ask if a level cap increase has been annouced? Devs making statements to avert putting their feet in thier mouths don’t count.

They said there would likely be one at some point. That was a long time ago, in a galaxy far, far, away, though. Since then, Living Story became their update mechanism. They’ve said most anything might make it into Living Story, but I imagine a level cap increase would be last or close to last on their list.

And for the record, I would not want a level cap increase. As one wise soul said above, the only reason for a cap increase is more gear grind.

Posted by: Draco.2806

Draco.2806

Isn’t there a still-unused set of 10 or so Skill Points that aren’t awarded during your first few levels?

Really. Just put those back in if you want more skills in your game.

Posted by: Galen Grey.4709

Galen Grey.4709

+1 to no level cap increase.

I dont think it would add anything to the game.

Posted by: mojowalker.3798

mojowalker.3798

While I honestly don’t have a problem with the notion of increasing the level cap per se, since at face value it wouldn’t make that much of a difference, I wholeheartedly agree the only reason to do it would be to introduce a geargrind, which I most definitely have no interest in seeing added to the game.

But as someone else mentioned, the likelihood of it happening any time soon/at all, doesn’t seem particularly high, seeing that it would, conceivably, need to include level 80-85/80-90/90-100/100-x zones. Otherwise, what would be the point in obtaining the new gear? To go stomping through Orr at 20 levels above the critters in gear that makes you able to one-shot anything you run into? Or to hit the champ-train in Queensdale and one-shot everything along the track?

“If you can’t beat them, get a bigger stick.”
- Some random quote -
The Walkers and the Whispers, ANVIL ROCK

Posted by: Advent.6193

Advent.6193

Not a GW1 vet – hell, never played it. But I’m against a level-cap increase, myself.
Not needed, IMHO – we still have a crapton of wiggle-room, with potential skills/infusion types/eventual legendary trinkets, etc. And, more Traits’d just make for a balance-joke of nightmarish proportions.

Malegryne (Sylvari Mesmer), Lannka (Asura Thief) – Ferguson’s Crossing: [PRD/BRB/OMFG]
Other 80s: Any but Warrior

Posted by: Harper.4173

Harper.4173

Not that i’m in favor for a level cap increase, but i just have the feeling that we will get it after everyone has at least a set of ascended armor, and all the MMO Locusts start again to cry that there is nothing to do.

Or of course we will get instanced raids, because so much people now want them as the lesser evil than having Tequatl in the open world, and the next can of gear progression will be opened with that.

I’d have to say NO to a level lincrease.
If there will be nothing to do they have time now to GIVE us things to do, things to strive for and new and exciting challenges not necessarily through gear grind or level increase.

If they do increase the level it won’t be soon. New zones would have to be implemented.

Also – a level increase would nullify all balance of the trait system so I don’t see it happening.

Instead of more levels – they should add more content.
More skins, more pets, more titles, more things to keep us playing without FORCING us to do it.
I’ve literally put a lot of fun things in the game on hold in order to grind cash for the upcoming ascended armor patch.

If here they fall they shall live on when ever you cry “For Ascalon!”

Posted by: AntiGw.9367

AntiGw.9367

Was there an announcement about a level cap increase or something?

Posted by: Trice.4598

Trice.4598

As much as I love GW2, there is 2 things that would make me quit.

1. Level cap increase
2. Weapon upgrade system, with fail and decrease (IE: +3, then 50% chance to +4 10% chance to break and 40% chance to +2 )

Level cap talks for itself, Add new skill/weapons I would even consider new tier before level cap increase.

Weapon upgrade would end up with Gem store item that prevent from failing/breaking just like every P2W MMO out there.

Posted by: Xyne.9104

Xyne.9104

I cant see how GW2 will hold on to its existing population if there is an increase in level cap.

Posted by: Randulf.7614

Randulf.7614

There would be no logical reason to do raise the cap – it would serious and potentially irrevocably undermine the game.

I had no issue with ascended coming in, although I could understand 100% why it drew frustration out of people and it certainly was too early to knee jerk it into the game. Having grinded or worked so hard to get full ascended, I could not see the core playerbase then scrapping all of that for more levels and grinding all over again – all future content could easily be based on level 80 mechanics instead.

There’s an argument that says, well if they levelled gear with you then it wouldn’t be so bad. True, but then why raise the level cap. Level caps exist as false feelings of progression and to intice ppl to play more. Something better achieved with improved content.

Lotro shot itself in the foot with yearly +10 level grinds. I have little wish to see another game I enjoy go down that road and I expect (maybe hoping) that the devs feel the same way.

Posted by: Master of Timespace.2548

Master of Timespace.2548

No. Would take the power creep at WvW to a ridiculous level.

? <(^-^><)>^-^)> <(^-^)> ?