The time to say no to a level cap increase?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: BlueZone.4236

BlueZone.4236

Don’t complain! They haven’t announced anything like this yet!

Don’t complain! They’ve already announced it! You should have complained before hand!

Don’t complain! It’s already in the game! You can’t stop the ball from rolling!

Or you could say how you feel without actually “complaining”. I did.

You mean like what the OP wrote, and still got this type of response?
Shocking!

I don’t know about the op, but everybody else has brought pitchforks and torches. A bit premature perhaps?

I don’t see any pitchforks and torches. Only wanting to deny the inevitable.
Let’s be realistic. When (not if) they announce raising the level cap do you really expect them to back down if there’s a flood of complaints?

Posted by: haviz.1340

haviz.1340

When (not if) they announce raising the level cap do you really expect them to back down if there’s a flood of complaints?

I don’t.

Posted by: Morrigan.2809

Morrigan.2809

Don’t complain! They haven’t announced anything like this yet!

Don’t complain! They’ve already announced it! You should have complained before hand!

Don’t complain! It’s already in the game! You can’t stop the ball from rolling!

Or you could say how you feel without actually “complaining”. I did.

You mean like what the OP wrote, and still got this type of response?
Shocking!

I don’t know about the op, but everybody else has brought pitchforks and torches. A bit premature perhaps?

I don’t see any pitchforks and torches. Only wanting to deny the inevitable.
Let’s be realistic. When (not if) they announce raising the level cap do you really expect them to back down if there’s a flood of complaints?

After November I don’t expect them to back down- I do however expect many people to walk away.
Probably the few original players that remained after November.

When that happens the game will be left to the gear chasers and the content locusts.
My they have fun until they move on to the next shiny new game to turn into a clone of all the others.

Gunnar’s Hold

Posted by: fellyn.5083

fellyn.5083

Currently, the only reason that I see would be a reason for an increase to level cap would be to expand on the trait system.

Even then, bigger numbers doesn’t mean better content. I personally don’t have a need to see bigger numbers on my screen. I would much rather prefer focus on actual content and mechanics.

With up/down scaling in place, it doesn’t really make a difference what level you are. You will always feel on par with what ever you are doing. A level increase wouldn’t change that.

As far as progression, to do it vertically only bloats the numbers. As you increase in power, so does your enemy. Bam, might as well call that what it is…“power creep”.
Open world content just doesn’t need it.
Raid systems make use of it to keep players playing gated content.

There are others ways to simulate this effect. Ascended has kind of done that with AR.
If you wanted to add to this when or if Raiding appears, you should have two versions.
1. Story mode-so players can see the content with minimal rewards.
2. Non-story with exclusive rewards. New skins (Armor sets/Weapon sets)with additional AR or resist slots. You could even add slots that increase your ability to gather mats with picks/axes/sickles.

From discussions I’ve had about this game, it seems more people want additional skills/weapons/armor skins than anything. Hardly ever do I encounter the “we need more levels” topic.

They’ve already confirmed that we’ll be getting new traits (along with new skills) in 2013 so you can scratch that reason off your list.

Posted by: Relentliss.2170

Relentliss.2170

Don’t need a new level cap.

What would be cool is introducing dual classing and revamping the stat/trait system so itis more interesting.

Instead they introduce new ways to profit from gems aka Ascended Weapons.

We don’t need to make mandatory gear treadmills, we make all of it optional

Anet lied (where’s the Manifesto now?)

Posted by: Skan.5301

Skan.5301

Instead they introduce new ways to profit from gems…

Which is what the game is made for. So it’s expected.

“Talk sense to a fool and he calls you foolish.”
– Euripides

Posted by: HardRider.2980

HardRider.2980

..We don’t need any Level Increase..

We are heroes. This is what we do!

RIP City of Heroes

Posted by: Spiral Architect.6540

Spiral Architect.6540

If ANet raises the level cap, they won’t do it in a vacuum. It will include a new landmass to explore, new baddies to fight, etc. This alone will keep some players playing, regardless of those players’ protests. They’ll also put out a huge marketing blitz to draw lots of new players in. Some players will leave, yes. But those players will have already purchased the game, and perhaps some gems. If they leave, it’s no big deal to ANet — they’ve already gotten those players’ money, and there will be lots of new players to fill the ranks behind those that leave.

It’s a win/win for ANet. I’d be very surprised if they don’t raise the cap at some point. I’m not saying they should — or shouldn’t. I’m just saying it’s very likely they will.

Posted by: ProtoGunner.4953

ProtoGunner.4953

I’d appreciate it. I like areas where i simply can’t go cuz i am too weak. Working my way up – let’s say to 90 – would be fun. I like progression. That said, the legendaries should scale to 90 of course. I just have one thing to say: don’t add ascended to lvl 90. It would be ridiculous :-)

Btw i am a GW1 veteran (since prophecies, about 4.5k hours played).

‘would have/would’ve been’ —> correct
‘would of been’ —> wrong

Posted by: marnick.4305

marnick.4305

Instead they introduce new ways to profit from gems…

Which is what the game is made for. So it’s expected.

Which is what almost every game is made for. What did you expect?

If people want to buy the items in the gem store without feeling bad, isn’t that good for both player and developer? Last time I checked, Arena.net was still a for-profit corporation.

If I can’t play Guild Wars 2 at work, I won’t work in Guild Wars 2 either.
Delayed content is eventually good. Rushed content is eternally bad. ~ Shigeru Miyamoto

Posted by: Boomlinxs.9513

Boomlinxs.9513

Keeping us at 80 would be fine by me, however opening up pve zones with mobs that go higher would be fun and challenging.