The unlimited sickle is disappointing

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Himei.5379

Himei.5379

…and you’re buying it for the looks? I am pretty sure most are buying it for it’s uses, not the way it looks. Think you guys been “spoiled” by Anet having 1 cool animation so you expect another one. Buy it to use and stop complaining.

800 gems is a lot. For that much I would like for there to be a cool animation.

And no one is forcing you to buy it. Do we really need it? Not really, I use Karma Ori sickles all day. That’s basically unlimited uses too. The mining picks on the other hand would be good purchase since only 1 place sells it for karma and a event has to done for it.

Posted by: Invictus.1503

Invictus.1503

Molten Pick = Genius
Infinite Sickle = Either a bug (since it is first release and they haven’t said anything about it this would make sense), or complete and utter laziness and an extremely poor reflection on the company as a whole.

My opinion and hope is that it is simply a bug and they made a slight code error and used the wrong animation and sound.

It’s better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt.

Posted by: dronzer.8392

dronzer.8392

@Himei
I think you’ve missed the point, were talking more about it’s behaviour, i doubt there would be much less fuss if it had sickle animation instead of mining animation.

Posted by: Antares.2586

Antares.2586

Hmm, possible bug here, yes.
If you imagine it with the sickle animation, it makes sense.

Posted by: flazerith.7253

flazerith.7253

Why dont you wait for the thing to actually release before you lose your s***.

Posted by: Calae.1738

Calae.1738

The animation that is. You slam it into the ground like a hoe, and water come out.

It’s not a sickle animation.

It’s like they got lazy and re-skin the molten pick.

video from dulfy: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TZslBb43ySw

They have like 1 person working on this and he did it during his lunch break.

Posted by: lordkrall.7241

lordkrall.7241

Why dont you wait for the thing to actually release before you lose your s***.

Technically it is released (it is in the game).
I do agree however, people should wait until it is actually official before behaving like children.

Krall Bloodsword – Mesmer
Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

Posted by: Doggie.3184

Doggie.3184

Seems like a rush job. I blame the Commerce team.

| Fort Aspenwood (NA): Sylvari Daredevil Thief Main: All Classes 80. |
Please Remove/Fix Thief Trait: “Last Refuge.”
“Hard to Catch” is a Horrible and Useless Trait. Fixed 6/23/15. Praise Dwayna.

Posted by: Stark.1350

Stark.1350

The amount of outrage over something as silly as a single animation is quite hilarious.

Posted by: Captain Harlock.1568

Captain Harlock.1568

it’s useful except it’s annoying when you get locked into animation and can’t break out unless you dodge.

Posted by: Desova.5821

Desova.5821

Honestly, people, why do you care so much about how it looks? It’s more of a practical item rather than a cosmetic one, which is why I bought it. I’m just happy about having space in my bags for more important things, and never again worrying about “ruined plant fibres”.

tasija trickshot | [LZZ] les zélateurs de zaun | arborstone

Posted by: killcannon.2576

killcannon.2576

Breakdown so far………..

“I hate it, I hate it!! But I bought it anyway!”

I can’t tell if this topic is about the new Sickle or Windows Vista.

Posted by: Yargesh.4965

Yargesh.4965

it’s useful except it’s annoying when you get locked into animation and can’t break out unless you dodge.

just moving breaks the animation no dodge required. Don’t really understand why anyone would wait around for the animation to end when you can keep moving on your circuit.

Invictus.1503

Honestly, people, why do you care so much about how it looks? It’s more of a practical item rather than a cosmetic one, which is why I bought it. I’m just happy about having space in my bags for more important things, and never again worrying about “ruined plant fibres”.

It is a matter of quality and a reflection of the devs., not to mention emersion. Sure, if it is functional that is all that matters to some (as it looks like is the case for you). For those people the same logic could be applied to armors and weapons. Make every weapon have the same animation whether it makes sense or not, as long as it still functions the same, who cares if a sword and a staff share the same animation, right? For that matter, why bother making different skins for gauntlets and boots, just put boots on everybody’s hands and arms as long as it functions properly who cares, right?

For people like me, I expect a sickle to function like a sickle in looks and functionality. The animation and sound is different for regular picks and sickles, so this shouldn’t be different.

That said, I’m still holding out that this is simply a bug. It is much too glaring an issue for it to be anything less.

It’s better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt.

Posted by: Iruwen.3164

Iruwen.3164

Maybe the animation will be replaced when the patch hits live.

Iruwen Evillan, Human Mesmer on Drakkar Lake

Posted by: Paulytnz.7619

Paulytnz.7619

Seems fine to me. At first the sound it made was the same as when mining but now it’s more of a cracking or smashing kind of sound. The animation I do not care for but as to how long it takes to work it’s same length as a normal sickle the only change is you can’t see the bar progress so I guess this makes people think it takes longer.

Since when did this business of being a hero become being a business?

Posted by: tigirius.9014

tigirius.9014

Wow just wow. That’s amazingly lazy imo. But we’ll still see people try to defend it, or tell us it’s not important even tho it cost real life money to get. smh

Balance Team: Please Fix Mine Toolbelt Positioning!

Posted by: lordkrall.7241

lordkrall.7241

Wow just wow. That’s amazingly lazy imo. But we’ll still see people try to defend it, or tell us it’s not important even tho it cost real life money to get. smh

Or people simply understanding that mistakes can be made and this is probably one.

Krall Bloodsword – Mesmer
Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

Posted by: Paulytnz.7619

Paulytnz.7619

Didn’t cost me “real” money, cost me 25 gold. :P

Since when did this business of being a hero become being a business?

Posted by: Wethospu.6437

Wethospu.6437

I wouldn’t call it a convenient item.

Posted by: HeliaXDemoN.1208

HeliaXDemoN.1208

Thx Obama

My15Chars

(edited by Moderator)

Posted by: Tower Guard.5263

Tower Guard.5263

Looks like an animation bug. Will still get it for convenience.

Posted by: Hebee.8460

Hebee.8460

Judging by the animation & how the sickle is used like a mining pick, I would say its not intended for the animation. But without a dev to say this will be how it looks or not, its intended so far
(I’ll still buy 1 just to have on main anyways, ill just use it when no ones looking as I mine a plant)

Posted by: Katreyn.4218

Katreyn.4218

I do find it strange and wonder if they will change it eventually. But the original sickle animation is very short in comparison I wonder if they felt they had to change it to make the new animation even worth it (bad idea if so). I like the water/flower animations but the pick sound and animation is very disappointing.

When I first used it I thought something was bugged with it, similar to what happens when sometimes you see other players using picks on trees and axes on mining nodes. Which seems very likely to me.

Posted by: Abhor.5602

Abhor.5602

Sigh. Was looking forward to the next unlimited tool. What a disappointment.

Posted by: LanfearShadowflame.3189

LanfearShadowflame.3189

In some instances, the animation is actually accurate. You would use a hoe to potentially harvest some things – carrots, potatoes, turnips, etc – rather than a sickle. Sickles are more for wheat and such. You wouldn’t even use a sickle for berries, unless you were harvesting the whole plant, which you aren’t So technically, none of the animations work 100%.

Don’t look at me like that. Whatever you’ve heard, it’s probably not true.

Invictus.1503

I still have to think it is a bug. Was hoping they’d fix with the patch release, but usually there are a few bugs fixed shortly after a patch so let’s hope this is the case. The water animation isn’t bad and I don’t mind it being used, just the swing of the sickle is silly as hell not to mention the sound.

To the point if it is supposed to be a swing like a hoe then I say two things…1) then it shouldn’t be called and look like a sickle, 2) you don’t swing a hoe with the same force as a pick axe.

Bug…only explanation. The devs. aren’t daft enough to have meant for that to be the real animation.

Posted by: Eyelusion.8205

Eyelusion.8205

LMAO @ this copy/paste animation! LOL.

Hopefully they’ll change it. Thank god they can change it in a MMO and it’s no stuck like this.

A for adding it to the game, F for effort.

I like the idea of a whirlwind affect around the plant area. It makes more sense than hitting the ground so hard you get a water spout, lol. OMG, who the hell came up with this one? LOL, LOL…..lol…i can’t stop…

LOL!!

Ele’s Pwn J00!

Eyelusion.8205

Thx Obama

My15Chars

ROFL! That never gets old.

Ele’s Pwn J00!

Posted by: Yargesh.4965

Yargesh.4965

Thx Obama

My15Chars

yes it does

Posted by: Surbrus.6942

Surbrus.6942

Well there is a new build right now… perhaps they fixed it.

Eyelusion.8205

Thx Obama

My15Chars

yes it does

Haha! Mine was sarcastic. I should have ended with /sarcasm :p

Ele’s Pwn J00!

Posted by: ContraBit.9174

ContraBit.9174

it still has the pickaxe animations but they fixed the sound effect

Posted by: Khisanth.2948

Khisanth.2948

it still has the pickaxe animations but they fixed the sound effect

but now it can’t be interrupted AND it takes two swings before you harvest an item. Once you press F you can’t move or cancel or do anything besides waiting for the animation to end.

Posted by: Ayane Hajinmon.9165

Ayane Hajinmon.9165

at first i thought she was gonna swing it like golf club….cut the onion with a swing…i would buy that…please make it happen T___T

Posted by: Starscream.6498

Starscream.6498

This might be rude of me towards others, but as someone who didn’t plan on buying it, I laughed my kitten off so hard when I saw dulfy’s video of her character mauling the poor plant into the ground. Plus the top comment being “DIE ONION, DIE!”

Posted by: Xuro.5861

Xuro.5861

Haha this is lazyness at it’s finest, after seeing the animation on my newly bought sickle and the new instances, I really think they just got lazy and wanted to be “done” with this arc of the living story.

I’ve never seen a supposed “AAA” title release such unfinished “content/items”

Posted by: Dahkeus.8243

Dahkeus.8243

So, if I understand this right, when you use this thing, you smash the ground with a giant scythe, which causes water to spurt up and makes the mining pick sound of metal hitting stone?

This is so bizarre that it actually sounds kinda cool, rofl!

Posted by: Geotherma.2395

Geotherma.2395

These will probably be merged in the BLTC forums, but I already replied there lol. https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/bltc/Kitten-and-harvesting-sickle-animations/first#post2107134

Intel i7 3.9ghz processor 16GB Ram 2TB HDD
Nvidia GTX 650 Win 7 64bit FFXI 4+yrs/Aion 4+ years Complete Noob~ Veteran OIF/OEF
http://everyonesgrudge.enjin.com/home MY GW2 Music http://tinyurl.com/cm4o6tu

Posted by: TwoBit.5903

TwoBit.5903

This has got to be a bug.

Posted by: Excursion.9752

Excursion.9752

It is obviously wrong. I’m sure this will be fixed. I’ve watched the animation in slow motion while pausing it and the sickle is not even in the hands of the avatar. Not to mention the metal sound.

Rather than complain about it, why not enjoy it while it lasts because it will not be here long. Its just another one of those bugs you will laugh about a year from now. Hey remember when….

| 80 (Guardian) Rusty Tooth | 80 (Warrior) Razer Tooth | 80 (Ranger) Eir Stegallkin |
| 80 (Mesmer) Brook Envision | 80 (Thief) Kuro Rin |

Posted by: lastmohican.8365

lastmohican.8365

I finally bought it, the sound has been fixed. And I don’t think the animation will change, it’s more like a garden rake than a sickle…

btw, I stored it in the bank… I don’t like this big eye looking at me…. it scares me….

Attachments:

Posted by: killcannon.2576

killcannon.2576

I’m pretty sure you won’t have to “remember when” with the rate bugs and broken mechanics enter the game. You can just say….“Remember, like, 30 seconds ago…..”

Complain more, maybe they will actually take the time to have a tester use it before putting it in game.

“Hey Bob, you want me to test out that sickle before we put it in game?”

“kitten Steve, that would be a good idea, but we just don’t have the 5 seconds it would take you to harvest a plant and see the obvious flaws in it. We have to get over to the Live Stream so we can tell the forum goers we don’t have any time to respond to them on OUR OFFICIAL FORUMS”

“You’re right Bob, I don’t know what I was thinking. I’m sure the apologists will have our back anyway, lulz!”

Posted by: Daftendire.7849

Daftendire.7849

What a lazy money grab. I’m glad they spent time re-skinning the molten ax instead of fixing the game.

Posted by: Moderator.3406

Moderator.3406

Due to the inflammatory tone of this thread, it will be closed. Please keep in mind that if you want to discuss issues on our forums, you have to do it in a constructive way.