The world event reward system is broken.

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Aicus.3174

Aicus.3174

The current reward system needs a serious re-design and a new set of rules to weight and rank players contribution to an event because the current system that is based solely on the amount of damage dealt is not just broken but it is just stupid.

Take for example the north battery defense in Tequatl, I can go on stomping holes after holes after holes with absolute perfect timing and I get no more than a bronze reward ranking, hell I might even miss out on the reward totally if I didn’t do any attacks. But, if I throw all the important mechanics out of the window and started throwing grenades at the incoming mobs, I can get a gold easily while everyone is getting murdered by the poison rain from the grubs. I can also try to be a good player, switching from eastern battery to mega laser defense mid event because I see that the mega laser defense needs more people and completely miss out on the event reward later on because I don’t do enough damage.

Another example is afking at event like Claw of Jormag, I can just afk at the event and wait till the last burn 1 or 2 burn phase, goes in, throw a few grenades at it and get the same amount of reward as the person that spends 30mins trying to take down the boss. So why should anyone put any effort in it? I might as well just stand at the side afk or just spam auto attacks to get full rewards with 0 effort.

Players should be rewarded appropriately for what they contributed to the event, players standing still in 1 corner spamming auto attack should not be getting full reward, players joining in an event at the last minute should not be getting the same reward as players that is working on the event for the last 15mins and players that just goes around waving their weapons around with no regards to actual event mechanics definitely should not be getting full reward. There should be different value and weight given for what players are doing ranging from the amount of damage they do in the event, to the amount of heals, the amount of boons, numbers of revives and playing by the event mechanics that makes up the total final score of the player and the level of reward they are getting.

Posted by: Malediktus.9250

Malediktus.9250

While they are at it, they should add a token system for the world boss events. Its completly silly when you did Tequatl 100+ times and never had one of those ascended weapons or even the mini tequatl out of it.

1st person worldwide to reach 35,000 achievement points.

Posted by: ShadowDragoonFTW.3418

ShadowDragoonFTW.3418

While they are at it, they should add a token system for the world boss events. Its completly silly when you did Tequatl 100+ times and never had one of those ascended weapons or even the mini tequatl out of it.

I kinda like the idea of world boss tokens. You get dungeon tokens, so why not WB tokens? Of course, I’d want it to be the same token for all bosses, otherwise that would get messy…

[EDIT] Tokens would be used to buy the gear from world bosses, but there should also be a chance for the loot to drop normally as well. So, if you really want a Sunless weapon, keep running Teq for the tokens. If you don’t get the drop, then eventually you can just buy it with a ton of tokens.

Baelyyrn [Zero Brigade]
Mechanist Gregory [BEER]
Arondight Unfading [ZB]

Posted by: anzenketh.3759

anzenketh.3759

The problem is bigger then the World Events. However you have identified a few actionable items.

1.) Destruction of a grub hole should increase the participation counter.

The problem is support actions in almost all events are not rewarded. It is a hard things to calculate participation outside of damage computationally. ArenaNet is aware of this issue they just at the moment can not think of a good way to solve the problem.

However without a understanding of how the system is currently designed it is hard for me to provide any useful feedback on this matter besides yes it need to be improved.

In Game: Storm Bluff Isle — Anzz, Anzenketh Kyoto

Posted by: Malediktus.9250

Malediktus.9250

I would also like it for the exotic trinkets you need for the treasure collector achievement. The chance for them is way too low to get them reliable even if you do the event 100 days in a row you might not get it.

1st person worldwide to reach 35,000 achievement points.

Posted by: Stooperdale.3560

Stooperdale.3560

The OP has many good points however there should always be an inducement for a player to join an event. If they arrive late and help at the end then they should get a reward for doing so.

ShadowDragoonFTW.3418

The OP has many good points however there should always be an inducement for a player to join an event. If they arrive late and help at the end then they should get a reward for doing so.

That’s what “bronze” medals in events are for. There’s a reason there are three tiers — they determine level of participation after all. If you come in right at the end, even if you contribute really hard, you still weren’t there for the majority of the fight, so you shouldn’t be entitled to anything higher than bronze.

In the case of world boss fights like Tequatl, if you weren’t there for the Megalaser stages, I don’t think you get the chests for completing those mini-events. And I don’t think you should, either. It wouldn’t be fair for the people that were there for the entire event if the latecomer got all the same rewards they did.

Baelyyrn [Zero Brigade]
Mechanist Gregory [BEER]
Arondight Unfading [ZB]

Posted by: AnniMira.2506

AnniMira.2506

So, is this saying that all the players who only aim at Tequalt, are correct? I forgot to check what medal I got today when I shot Tequalt only after defence phases, very short period of time. I defended turrets and stomped the holes at north, and there partially forgot to shoot the mobs due searching the holes. Got the chest with usual content: blue, green, spoon.

Posted by: pessimist.7294

pessimist.7294

Im currently at 300+ so dont complain^^

Aicus.3174

So, is this saying that all the players who only aim at Tequalt, are correct? I forgot to check what medal I got today when I shot Tequalt only after defence phases, very short period of time. I defended turrets and stomped the holes at north, and there partially forgot to shoot the mobs due searching the holes. Got the chest with usual content: blue, green, spoon.

This is actually about all the event in the game but extremely noticeable if you are doing north battery defense.

Aicus.3174

The problem is bigger then the World Events. However you have identified a few actionable items.

1.) Destruction of a grub hole should increase the participation counter.

The problem is support actions in almost all events are not rewarded. It is a hard things to calculate participation outside of damage computationally. ArenaNet is aware of this issue they just at the moment can not think of a good way to solve the problem.

However without a understanding of how the system is currently designed it is hard for me to provide any useful feedback on this matter besides yes it need to be improved.

The few core factors I can think of is damage, heal, number boons granted, number of conditions removed and number of evasions. If the full score is 100, those will be 10 each since they do not require players to go out of their way to achieve.

Then number of players resurrected, number of event key item obtained/destroyed each max out at 20 as they require the players to actually actively going out of their way to make it happen

Then the participation time will be valued at 10 max for those taking part in the full event.

Those players that achieved 75+ scores will be rewarded with gold, silver will be at 50-74 and bronze will be 20-49. Those that score less than 20 will get no reward.

I think they need to improve some of the event works while they improve the reward system as well, as in no more safe spot to stand still and spam auto attack to win. If they only improve the reward system without rectifying the problems with auto attack spam while afk, it will be meaningless as people will continue to stack on 1 single spot afking while spamming auto attack.

Posted by: Andred.1087

Andred.1087

Valid complaints, but I doubt they’re anywhere near the top of Anet’s priority list. It’s still quite easy to get the completion rewards for Tequatl, and Claw, and Shatterer, etc.

“You’ll PAY to know what you really think.” ~ J. R. “Bob” Dobbs

Posted by: duckideva.6358

duckideva.6358

So, I’ve only done Teq twice, and both times I’ve run around doing those hylek machine thingies, and clearing mobs and stuff, but because I did it on a character with limited range ability, I don’t think I hit the actual dragon very often because I was hopping over waves and rezzing folks…anyway, long story short, even though I was there for the entire event, and did a bunch of stuff, I think I still only got bronze. I didn’t realize that it was only hitting the dragon that counted for this event.

Cruella LaDucki: Have corpses, will travel
Torwynd Trueheart: Here I come to save the day!
NSP – Quak Resident Duchess L’Orange

Posted by: yanipheonu.5798

yanipheonu.5798

Eh. As long as there are two people still in an MMO, one will be getting credit for something the other guy did.

It’s a reality if these games, hell, it’s a reality of life.

I’d just say deal with it. So long as we’re dropping bosses, it shouldn’t matter.

Aicus.3174

So, I’ve only done Teq twice, and both times I’ve run around doing those hylek machine thingies, and clearing mobs and stuff, but because I did it on a character with limited range ability, I don’t think I hit the actual dragon very often because I was hopping over waves and rezzing folks…anyway, long story short, even though I was there for the entire event, and did a bunch of stuff, I think I still only got bronze. I didn’t realize that it was only hitting the dragon that counted for this event.

Ok, let me explain the whole Teq event.

The event can be divided into 3 phases, phase 1 is the time when players have to man the turrets, kill off tendrils and defend various locations to prevent the turrets from getting overwhem, phase 2 is the defend phase when you have to defend the batteries (north, west, east) and mega laser and phase 3 or the burn phase is what happened if players successfully defended all the batteries and mega laser, the mega laser will fire taking away a big chunck of Teq’s health, stunning and weakening it allowing players to deal massive damage to it. Each phase will happen 3 times in the event but phase 1 can be shorten or even skipped if players are doing well is phase 3.

By participating in the event, you will get a daily chest containing an exotic Dragon Chest and the big treasure chest on the ground if the event succeeded and by participating and contributing to the 3 defend phase by defending the batteries and mega laser, you can get 3 more chests containing a blue, green and yellow Dragon Chest.

What we are talking about here is the north battery defense where you need to stomp out the grub holes on the ground or the whole place will be a huge explosion of poison rain caused by the grubs spawning from the holes and it is here where the problem lies. The game only calculate your contribution through the damage dealt to the mobs spawning but never take into account your contribution for stomping out the grub holes, so if you got occupied with stomping out the holes, the maximum reward level you will get is bronze and some times you even have the risk of not getting any participation reward, this problem is further amplified as of the reward chest is tied to the defend events. So if you miss out on 1 participation reward for defend phase, you lose 1 chest.

That is why the system is considered broken.

ShadowDragoonFTW.3418

@Aicus – That is correct, however, I don’t see what the big issue is about only getting bronze on one of the defense events. Are people really that worried about getting the little bit of extra money and karma? I think successfully doing the event is the most important part, regardless of what participation rank I got. I’d rather stomp the grubs and get bronze passing the event than ignore the grubs and get gold while losing the battery.

Baelyyrn [Zero Brigade]
Mechanist Gregory [BEER]
Arondight Unfading [ZB]