There are no .....Classes?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Nekroseth.5186

Nekroseth.5186

Whell i did not want to name classes i miss, since the curent ones are quite fine (for most ppl) so i cant “moan” abaut them.

But i really do miss themes that need to be used.

Like there are no “druids”. Even if you dont call it that way (trough thats the official folklore name for them) a caster, who is using the forces of nature. And as a caster, not something like a ranger.

Second, i missed the aspect of shape shifting. I dont quite like the WoW style of shape shifting, since it forces you to stay in 1 model that has no chance of changing his gear, and show of the hard earned weapon and armor skins.
But i am sure it can be implemented in some way. (like the new hero in lol, half spider half man) It is really a big part of fantasy i do miss it.

Third i miss, rune spellcasters. The theme of runes is a major part of fantasy to. even in real life, in occultism,ezoteric’s and so on, runes are used and they are just “upgrade items” instead of base to some spells.

4, I also miss a caster that is less circumstancial, then the elementalist, it flings spells fast, moves trough the battlefield without effort. Dodges, blinks, makes a backflit to the nearby rooftop with a jump spell.

5, I also missed a classical wizard like class, it was totally dissapointing not to have any in a fantasy rpg. Mesmer,Ele and Necro are all specialized forms of that, but they dont even hint to the original class they ware.

And there are MANY more classes i could mention that are non existent in this world, even trough the game hints to them.
And there are many players that say : Thief is the Assasin deal with it? REally? Should i reply? Then scew you i wont play for sure? I really dont wish to. Only because some players dont understand, that a Thief, no matter how all araund it is, is still a Thief, it was designed to be a thief, and not as an Assasin
It wont cover the theme of the assasin, it might take its role, but it cant take its theme, unless you get extreme ammounts of character costumization. Whitch is totally away with these fixed skillset weapons. You cant even try to be like 1.

And this does apply to all classes.
Eather we need insane ammounts of character costumization, so we can cover all the themes, or we need new classes. (soon)

This might sound “moaning”. And complaning, but what would you do, if you have a good designed game, and game world, but you cant find a class to play it with? I am alredy at the edge of stop playing (untill next expansion).
Gl Hf all.

Posted by: Bluestone.7106

Bluestone.7106

First of all, a general answer to your thread is that they are more than likely to add one or more classes with any big content expansions (the HUGE expansions) so if a certain class isn’t in right now then go to the suggestion section of the forums and suggest it.

Secondly, the Norn race do shapeshifting. My main is a Norn warrior and he can turn into a Bear, a Wolf-man, a Raven-man and a Snow Leopard-man (not all at the same time obviously. This is one of the core aspects of the Norn race so if you had done some quick researched before playing you would have known about that.

So while you are entitled to your opinion, it is my opinion that your thread is premature.

My homeworld is Blackgate.
I am a GW2 player in New Zealand.
Check me out on the GW2 wiki.

Posted by: Leto.5642

Leto.5642

Secondly, the Norn race do shapeshifting. My main is a Norn warrior and he can turn into a Bear, a Wolf-man, a Raven-man and a Snow Leopard-man (not all at the same time obviously. This is one of the core aspects of the Norn race so if you had done some quick researched before playing you would have known about that.

LOL. The elite skills? 240 seconds cooldown. And you call that a “core aspect of the Norn race”? With such a big cooldown it’s totally useless.

Posted by: Mikali.9651

Mikali.9651

Tengu! go go, Anet!

Posted by: Druu.9604

Druu.9604

If you need Shapshifting under many forms with all specialized spells, you should try Engineer with the kits he has, that’s pretty much what you are searching for. As for nature, there is a ranger in the game that really uses nature. I know it’s not the type you need, but that’s still the closest to it.

Assassin class is the thief, and yes it can be played like your typical boring assassin. I’ll even add that, even though it was pretty fun to play with Assassins in GW1, they lacked many characteristics that would make them good in PvP. I miss the Lead-Off-Dual attacks so much. But yes, traits can make 2 thieves play totally different, add the gear, the weapons and the utility skills and you have something you can customize enough.

Sometimes you need to learn a bit more of the game, it is totally cool on the class side. If you don’t like 1 class, there is another 7 you can use.

Posted by: Red Falcon.8257

Red Falcon.8257

Disagreed completely on the assassin part.
Not only D/D plays exactly as I’d expect it an Assassin to play, but just look at my armor below.
It doesn’t really get more assassin than this.

And you can play it pirate-style with S/P, you can play it adventurer-style with D/P, pistoleer style with P/P, green arrow style with SB, duelist style with S/D, ninja style with DB, thief style with full steal build…
7 archetypes in one class? Yes, thank you. Much better than being locked into assassin for all my life.

Attachments:

(edited by Red Falcon.8257)

Posted by: delmarqo.5038

delmarqo.5038

Why does every new MMORPG need to follow the “give me what I had but slightly tweaked” rule? The world does not need yet another near-slavish iteration of Tolkien’s world.

<assassin pic>

Nice Ezio Auditore, are you going for a product placement thing there in time with AC3?

Posted by: sonicwylde.2906

sonicwylde.2906

Like there are no “druids”. Even if you dont call it that way (trough thats the official folklore name for them) a caster, who is using the forces of nature. And as a caster, not something like a ranger.

Second, i missed the aspect of shape shifting. I dont quite like the WoW style of shape shifting, since it forces you to stay in 1 model that has no chance of changing his gear, and show of the hard earned weapon and armor skins.
But i am sure it can be implemented in some way. (like the new hero in lol, half spider half man) It is really a big part of fantasy i do miss it.

Third i miss, rune spellcasters. The theme of runes is a major part of fantasy to. even in real life, in occultism,ezoteric’s and so on, runes are used and they are just “upgrade items” instead of base to some spells.

4, I also miss a caster that is less circumstancial, then the elementalist, it flings spells fast, moves trough the battlefield without effort. Dodges, blinks, makes a backflit to the nearby rooftop with a jump spell.

5, I also missed a classical wizard like class, it was totally dissapointing not to have any in a fantasy rpg. Mesmer,Ele and Necro are all specialized forms of that, but they dont even hint to the original class they ware.

And there are MANY more classes i could mention that are non existent in this world, even trough the game hints to them.
And there are many players that say : Thief is the Assasin deal with it? REally? Should i reply? Then scew you i wont play for sure? I really dont wish to. Only because some players dont understand, that a Thief, no matter how all araund it is, is still a Thief, it was designed to be a thief, and not as an Assasin
It wont cover the theme of the assasin, it might take its role, but it cant take its theme, unless you get extreme ammounts of character costumization. Whitch is totally away with these fixed skillset weapons. You cant even try to be like 1.

No there are no classes in this game. There are Professions. There has never been a druid profession in the guild wars games ever.

The dervish was about as close to shape shifting with the avatar skills they had but no there was never a pure shape shifter profession in GW.

Well the theme of Guild Wars never had rune spellcasters, so why would they add a theme that would not make much sense in the “theme” of guild wars. The professions are blends or actual ports from the original GW game.

The “casters” in this game are Elementalist, Mesmer, Necromancer, with Guardian being a “caster” as well. For the theme of Guild Wars (2) those have always been the wizards/casters of the game. The magic in this game takes form differenlty than any other themed game out there, so why would you want them to cookie cutter themes? The mesmer, elementalist, necromancer are the original professions they were in GW. Why would they add a specialized “original” profession for those 3 when those are the original professions?

As for thief not being an assassin. If you looked at the Assassin from GW, the Thief uses exactly the same weapons (Daggers) with added sets (sword, pistol etc.) the trait lines are almost an exact copy of the Assassin skill points from GW… so yea The thief is the assassin with a lot more utility added to it. A thief can totally be an assassin but… stealthing and killing pretty fast.

Posted by: Calavera.1086

Calavera.1086

Why no wizards?

Bloodstones, that’s why.

Posted by: Raven Paradox.1860

Raven Paradox.1860

Umm… This thread has confused me greatly. Is he asking for WoW? If so, there’s a giant game out there called WoW, you’re welcome to play that.

This is Guild Wars 2. It’s not your typical MMO, and ArenaNet’s been saying that forever. We don’t need shapeshifting when we have it, we don’t need some random “wizard” when we have enough caster classes. We don’t need whatever the hell Runes are, but if you’re suggesting like RuneScape… go play that and enjoy grinding which is all that game is.

The fact of the matter is Guild Wars 2 has it’s lore, and they’ll follow that. The God’s gave magic to mortals. Grenth is the God of death, thus there are necromancers. Dwayna is the god of Healing, thus there were monks, and now Guardians. Lyssa is the God of illusions or whatever she is I can’t really remember, thus we have mesmers. Not really sure why there never was an elementalist God, but who cares, the gods gave them magic.

If there was a shapeshifting class, it would make playing a Norn useless besides cosmetics.

Posted by: Akhet.6527

Akhet.6527

What the kitten is this?

Clearly you did not play a thief for very long and wrote it off before getting anywhere worthwhile.

Or .. any class, really. Sounds like ultimately you don’t like Guild Wars’ lore, in which case that’s too bad, but it happens. Maybe just not the game for you?

Varien Sundfor
Council Leader of Flux Capacity [FLUX]
Tarnished Coast

Posted by: Lalabu.2097

Lalabu.2097

Hey Nekroseth,
My answer to your post is that you’re looking for a different fantasy than Guild Wars 2 has to offer. My suggestion to you is to immerse yourself in the world of Tyria and love it for it’s very own take on fantasy!
The present events (dialogs, chatter, war) which take place in-game are so well fleshed out that you learn about the history and geography of Tyria simply by playing the game. If you want to be even more in-tune with the world I suggest reading the lore of Guild Wars.
Personally, I do not want to see “traditional” fantasy features in Tyria out of fear of it becoming too comparable to other fantasy worlds.

Signed,
Lalabu

Posted by: Curlybaby.6258

Curlybaby.6258

Isn’t it amazing the impact that WOW has had on MMORPG’s?

Almost every complaint on any forum is some type of derivative about how that game is different from WOW, and how it is doomed because of it.

We are not hamsters!

Posted by: Algreg.3629

Algreg.3629

you are taking the lore (and that is mainly what the classes you are missing are about) of a different game and point out they are missing in this game. Well, why should they be here? Does WoW have engineers or mesmers? Is that a shortcoming of WoW? Certainly not. This game should develop along the line of its own lore, NO druids, but dervishes, NO paladins, but Paragons (well, probably not as Guardians are pretty close). And the day I see a kitten DRYDER announced, for god´s sage I will certainly quit this game.

Posted by: Corian.4068

Corian.4068

You might enjoy Rift.

Rift makes you select an archetype (warrior/rogue/cleric/mage), and then each one has a number of “souls” which each represent a complete class. Well, you choose three of those and get to split your talent points between them WoW-style.

I imagine this is the customization you want. Though GW2’s traits system allows you to build a single profession multiple ways, it doesn’t really change the theme of your character quite like Rift’s system does. And that seems more important to you than the actual differing playstyles, in which GW2 is actually comparable, but in less obvious a way.

Hit level eighty
Priorities, what to do?
Spend hours with dye

Posted by: Actracts.1389

Actracts.1389

While we’re on the topic of wanting to change GW2 into another MMO – I vote we throw in some Chocobo mounts, a Kafra service, a Sith Marauder sub-class for Thieves, an Elin race, and – ooh – how about some Age of Wulin style combat?!

On a serious note: Guild Wars is NOT WoW! It shouldn’t try to be, nor should it feel like it has to be WoW or any other MMO out there! As others have already stated, if you feel that GW2 should be more like another MMO, then go play that MMO. Though GW2 has its own glaring flaws, many of us like GW2 because it is nothing like some other MMO’s.

Posted by: Milennin.4825

Milennin.4825

I don’t understand this thread. So basically you’re saying you want all the classes from -insert your favourite MMO- in a completely different game? WTH!?

Just who the hell do you think I am!?

Posted by: Naoko.7096

Naoko.7096

Disagreed completely on the assassin part.
Not only D/D plays exactly as I’d expect it an Assassin to play, but just look at my armor below.
It doesn’t really get more assassin than this.

And you can play it pirate-style with S/P, you can play it adventurer-style with D/P, pistoleer style with P/P, green arrow style with SB, duelist style with S/D, ninja style with DB, thief style with full steal build…
7 archetypes in one class? Yes, thank you. Much better than being locked into assassin for all my life.

I agree with you.
One element I like about gw2 are how the classes are made. I can an assassin one day and be a duelist another day. One thing is that the names doesn’t match the role. A warrior doesn’t mean a warrior and a guardian doesn’t mean a guardian. The classes names are just for cosmetic but we can actually be any classes we want in gw2 in reality.

@Red Falcon, is that your character? I like how your character give the feeling of an assassin with your choice of gears.

I like dressing up my character to be an assassin too.

Attachments:

Posted by: mulch.2586

mulch.2586

Shape-shifting would be fun, but Tyria is awesome, even if there’s no elves and the dwarves are all dead, no Celtic anything (druids or otherwise).

GW2 has a very restricted set of options confined to a subset of the Tyria in GW1.

When they open the southern continents, hopefully we’ll find more variety in flavor.

Posted by: Draknar.5748

Draknar.5748

I want a Master Chief character

I won’t stop because I can’t stop.

It’s a medical condition, they say its terminal….