There is "probably" no expansion, its a myth

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: joshc.3129

joshc.3129

I would be more than happy with LS replacing the traditional expansion pack if Anet swifts it’s focus away from the 2 weeks “Let’s get new LS content out as fast as possible” and possibly go to a once a month release schedule so they have more time to add more meat into the releases, like larger more detailed maps, possible new weapons/skills and most important more longer in-detailed story missions that you can’t run threw in 5 or 10 mins with your eyes close and no effort.

Take the last LS update Tangled Paths, I enjoyed it but at the same time it was pathetic how short it was. 2 VERY SHORT missions (3 if you can even count “Return to Camp Resolve” as a mission) that I got done in around 30 mins.

A once a month release schedule allowing Anet to add more meat to the LS episodes I think will help a lot of players that are crying about the lack of content. The main problem I see coming from those players is they seem to completely forget about the LS episode that came before when a new one is released, as if it was wipe from their memory.

Most complaints from players is for more content with more put into it not necessarily a large amount of content at once. So if Anet can put more into the LS episodes I think that will help in the long run.

Kill stuff to unlock weapons skills, most confusing thing I ever heard of. (sarcasm)

(edited by joshc.3129)

Posted by: darkace.8925

darkace.8925

They’ve been expanding the game almost monthly.

And all of that expansion has got us exactly one universal healing skill, eight class-specific healing skills, three permanent PvE maps (each of which is about half the size of the rest of the maps in the game at launch), zero new dungeons (one if you count FotM), zero new classes, zero new races, and a storyline that can be completed in one afternoon of play.

For all of the effort put into the Living Story, we have relatively little to show for it.

Why do you need a big dropship dump of an expansion all at once just because it’s how people have done it before?

Because it allows the developers more time to polish content, find and remove bugs, increase the scope of new zones, increase the depth of new stories, etc. They can do things shorter deadlines don’t permit (such as voicing player characters). They can add things that are hard to conceptualize, iterate, and implement on shorter deadlines (such as new skills).

And most importantly, it allows the developers to release content when it’s ready as opposed to when it’s due.

The multiple expansions over a period of time are more digestable.

So is a steak served one bite per day.

Posted by: Scipio.3204

Scipio.3204

Sorrow’s embrace is not worth more than the entire Living Story and anyone who says so doesn’t remember it. It was four big quest chains and yes, they were good, but… that’s what they were. Four big quest chains.

And that’s most of what Anet gave away for free, until Guild Wars 2 was announced and they started the War in Kryta many years later.

Sorrow’s Embrace I could do a couple of times and it was nice….but Drytop and Silverwastes are free zones (and so is Southsun).

Stuff like Triple Threat, the Karka Queen, The New Jumping Puzzles are all free too. SAB was free. I’m not sure everyone would agree Sorrow’s Embrace was better than SAB even if it’s not in game now.

Picking the one example of content Anet gave for free until it stopped selling new content for Guild Wars 1 is just a bit disingenuous.

Edit: And you could probably finish Sorrow’s Embrace in 2 hours.

There is so much misinformation here…. firstly , SF update wasn’t just four big quests, there was a new area + outpost with a dungeon and not only four quests. 2 Main and 4 “sidequest”. The first is to help four dwarfs and the second is to defeat the forgeman. Also people played this new dungeon not for the sake of completing quests, but to get the new unique items. Also that 2 hour doesn’t sound right to me either, I challenge you to try and complete it in two hours using only what was available that time. (No heroes, only proph skills).

Secondly SF wasn’t the only thing anet added before the release of EN for free. Tomb of primeval kings (PvE) , DoA wasn’t available at release of NF either if my memory is correct, introduction of HM etc.

Posted by: Serophous.9085

Serophous.9085

I would be more than happy with LS replacing the traditional expansion pack if Anet swifts it’s focus away from the 2 weeks “Let’s get new LS content out as fast as possible” and possibly go to a once a month release schedule so they have more time to add more meat into the releases, like larger more detailed maps, possible new weapons/skills and most important more longer in-detailed story missions that you can’t run threw in 5 or 10 mins with your eyes close and no effort.

Take the last LS update Tangled Paths, I enjoyed it but at the same time it was pathetic how short it was. 2 VERY SHORT missions (3 if you can even count “Return to Camp Resolve” as a mission) that I got done in around 30 mins.

A once a month release schedule allowing Anet to add more meat to the LS episodes I think will help a lot of players that are crying about the lack of content. The main problem I see coming from those players is they seem to completely forget about the LS episode that came before when a new one is released, as if it was wipe from their memory.

Most complaint from players is about more content with more put into it not necessarily a large amount of content at once. So if Anet can put more into the LS episodes I think that will help in the long run.

I agree with the monthly schedule than two weeks. It was a good attempt, but I was skeptical at first, and feel rightly so. Maybe if anet was bigger, they could, but I hope they just back off to monthly updates and not continue the two week approach.

Posted by: Hybarf Tics.2048

Hybarf Tics.2048

IMO, the major difference between the past ‘been around the block’ and now is that in the past, Anet has said that they want to see if the Living World can provide the content and feel of an expansion. They hadn’t at those times yet. Because of this, expansions have been in the “not planned but not off the table” phase.

It took Arenanet much more time and resources to reach the point where the LW concept is able to deliver en expansion. With season 2 we have now a robust system that can embed content to be delivered in a story.

Yeah I know, we all know don’t we? We’ve all seen what a 4 months break can do to a game base on truth or lies which are neither based with facts. We’ve played for 30 minutes last time, some did it in 20 minutes. Which is equal to saying Anet doesn’t give a Skritt’s butt about it’s player base anymore, so go ahead and keep your head in the sand people. Anet has lost another multiple hundreds of dollars a year customer as I’ve stopped playing completely until a real expansion comes along which I highly doubt anymore. Last time I played was on the 18th, I’m done.

Posted by: saye.9304

saye.9304

ncsoft already said in their latest report that " in not far future they are ready to announce the expansion for gw2"
the expansion might hit in late 2015 or early 2016, but there will be an expansion based on ncsoft words((the boss)).

Posted by: Crovax.7854

Crovax.7854

ncsoft already said in their latest report that " in not far future they are ready to announce the expansion for gw2"
the expansion might hit in late 2015 or early 2016, but there will be an expansion based on ncsoft words((the boss)).

This is flat out wrong. In the report you are referring to NCSoft only states that they expect ANet to announce an expansion since the game is already over two years old and by now that would be the most reasonable approach.
Besides, this statement has also been in the last few reports (since early 2013 I think) from NCSoft so that’s nothing new.

In my opinion the only reason for ANet to be silent about the future of the game would be that they expect us to be even more discontent than if we didn’t know,
i.e. no expansion. Makes the most sense from my point of view.

Posted by: Xenon.4537

Xenon.4537

We’ve been hearing about NCSoft reports of GW2 expansions for over a year now. I personally don’t believe Anet has anything in the works. They seem perfectly content churning out these filler episodes. I’ll believe there’s an expansion in the works when they announce they are taking a break from the living world to work on “other things.”

Dear Anet,

The living story journal is a nice distraction. The missions are cool, the story is not bad (so far), the locations are amazing. It’s a nice filler. Key word. Filler. It’s like the mozzarella sticks appetizer at Applebees before they bring out the Quesadilla Burger. We, your loyal customers, fans, and humble MMO players can only take so much mozzarella before we LOSE OUR FREAKING MINDS. Please bring us our full course meal (expansion). Thank you.

Edit:

To reiterate, I don’t believe they are currently working on an expansion. I think they have their heads in the clouds so to speak. That’s not to say I don’t believe they will ever do an expansion. I think an expansion is inevitable. We just need to give Anet a nice shake and wake them up.

(edited by Xenon.4537)

Posted by: Andred.1087

Andred.1087

Why does anyone still think an expansion would be good for this game? They can release any content through the Living Story, which they’ve been doing for a while now. If they made an expansion, people would expect more expansions, and all it really boils down to is how long you wait for the content vs. how much is released at a time.

“You’ll PAY to know what you really think.” ~ J. R. “Bob” Dobbs

Posted by: Nevets Crimsonwing.5271

Nevets Crimsonwing.5271

They can release any content through the Living Story, which they’ve been doing for a while now.

They have not shown they can release any content through the Living Story. That’s the problem.

Xenon.4537

They can release any content through the Living Story, which they’ve been doing for a while now.

They have not shown they can release any content through the Living Story. That’s the problem.

Okay… mathematically they have released some content. It’s just not enough to satisfy most people. In today’s gaming culture, most gamers want a large, substantial package of content they can consume in a matter of days or weeks. GW2 is trying to drip feed us a couple hours of content at a time. It’s like they have a bag of Skittles and we only get to eat 1 Skittle every 2 weeks. Where is our steak dinner? We need some meat and potatoes.

Posted by: Astralporing.1957

Astralporing.1957

Not really, They have shown that they can release some forms of content through the Living Story, and that they are can’t keep up with the pace they themselves have set (see all the delays between LS story parts). Their ability to use LS as a medium to release anything more substantial is still debatable. Everything so far points to them not being able to do that without at least some changes to the release method.

Actions, not words.
Remember, remember, 15th of November

Posted by: DiogoSilva.7089

DiogoSilva.7089

If NCSoft has talked about an expansion, then it’s because an expansion or expansion-like content is in the works. Or do you people seriously believe that GW2’s publisher has no idea of what Anet’s plans are?

Posted by: Meglobob.8620

Meglobob.8620

If NCSoft has talked about an expansion, then it’s because an expansion or expansion-like content is in the works. Or do you people seriously believe that GW2’s publisher has no idea of what Anet’s plans are?

Yes, the publisher is probably fairly clueless…

Last year in there report and they said a expansion, ‘soon’…been a year and no expansion…I think the publisher confuses LS updates with a expansion or purposely choose to think of them as expansions. Anet came out and squashed expansion rumours last year. They have not really commented this year.

Given we are in Dec now, its pretty certain no expansion before September 2015. September-Early November are the best release dates for any new game/expansion.

Posted by: DeceiverX.8361

DeceiverX.8361

There’s no doubt they are working on “stuff”, and not just minor things.

People need to keep in mind that GW2 isn’t a traditional MMORPG. It’s always trying to be different. This was the same for GW1 also.

People are seeing this with the wrong perspective. GW2 updates the game in non-traditional ways. So far, it hasn’t updated the more traditional things, such as new races and classes. There has been new zones, pvp maps and eotm, etc., in a more traditional way though.

The problem is, we haven’t been given any future to look towards for the game. There isn’t any long-term investment that players want/need. That’s the real issue.

It’s not even that. Nobody cares about how these kinds of updates are implemented as long as they are.

I don’t need a new map or story to get new weapons and skills and traits. The gameplay as a whole is getting stale, especially with the very poor balancing and game design decisions made in the past.

While delivery mechanisms are important and can build hype, the actual content is what matters in the end.

Xenon.4537

Given the timing of NCSoft’s reports, their wording, and the actual releases GW2 has had, it’s fair to assume NCSoft was confused about the definition of “expansion.” They were probably referring to the upcoming living story journal episode format when they said GW2 was getting an expansion “later this year (2014)”. It’s kind of like when grandpa says “My kids play the Nintendos.” They aren’t video game developers. They just pay Anet.

Posted by: Silmar Alech.4305

Silmar Alech.4305

The “big background project” is probably like Mr. Tur Tur, the illusionary giant from Jim Button and Luke the Engine Driver, who only appears as a giant when seen from afar. But if you get near him, he is as tall as anyone of us.

Xenon.4537

It’s not even that. Nobody cares about how these kinds of updates are implemented as long as they are.

You should care, because how things are done directly affects the end product.

While delivery mechanisms are important and can build hype, the actual content is what matters in the end.

Like I said earlier, its like eating 1 Skittle every 2 weeks instead of treating yourself to a nice full steak dinner with all the trimmings. Anet can’t afford to make us a steak dinner every night, but I daresay 1 steak dinner every year or two is far more satisfying and builds better memories than a monotonous regimen of 1 Skittle every two weeks.

Posted by: Vix.6730

Vix.6730

Id like to dematerialize a few rumors going around

Their playerbase has stabilized which is good and not surprising.

You contradict yourself early on and lose whatever argument you strived to make. Why not just come out and say, "My rumors are better than your rumors, and here’s why. After all, all of this is rumor, so what if a few take hold.

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

Sorrow’s embrace is not worth more than the entire Living Story and anyone who says so doesn’t remember it. It was four big quest chains and yes, they were good, but… that’s what they were. Four big quest chains.

And that’s most of what Anet gave away for free, until Guild Wars 2 was announced and they started the War in Kryta many years later.

Sorrow’s Embrace I could do a couple of times and it was nice….but Drytop and Silverwastes are free zones (and so is Southsun).

Stuff like Triple Threat, the Karka Queen, The New Jumping Puzzles are all free too. SAB was free. I’m not sure everyone would agree Sorrow’s Embrace was better than SAB even if it’s not in game now.

Picking the one example of content Anet gave for free until it stopped selling new content for Guild Wars 1 is just a bit disingenuous.

Edit: And you could probably finish Sorrow’s Embrace in 2 hours.

There is so much misinformation here…. firstly , SF update wasn’t just four big quests, there was a new area + outpost with a dungeon and not only four quests. 2 Main and 4 “sidequest”. The first is to help four dwarfs and the second is to defeat the forgeman. Also people played this new dungeon not for the sake of completing quests, but to get the new unique items. Also that 2 hour doesn’t sound right to me either, I challenge you to try and complete it in two hours using only what was available that time. (No heroes, only proph skills).

Secondly SF wasn’t the only thing anet added before the release of EN for free. Tomb of primeval kings (PvE) , DoA wasn’t available at release of NF either if my memory is correct, introduction of HM etc.

Okay, so let’s recap.

Let’s pretend it took 4 hours to finish Sorrow’s Embrace instead of 3. And Sorrow’s Embrace was the dungeon. The dungeon was the new area. The quests all led into the dungeon. So saying it’s a new area and a dungeon is quite disingenuous since they’re one and the same thing.

Now, Anet sold Factions which is a whole game onto itself. That game could be finished in a week, even when it came out. People finished it staggeringly fast and people complained about finishing it fast. The DOA came out, the first Guild Wars 2 product that had no Elite area. DOA was added, but in my opinion it was always meant to be in the game. With DOA, Nightfall had really nothing because it didn’t offer any new PvP stuff either, like Factions did. So Anet charged for an entire game with no dungeons, no elite areas, and then added the elite area after launch.

In the mean time, Fractals is a dungeon, which was added to Guild Wars 2. But we didn’t buy a new game either. And Guild Missions (which most people seem to forget about), was something added to Guild Wars 2 including 3 guild puzzles. Not so Secret and Deidre’s Steppes were added. Southsun, the Karka Queen and Triple Thread were added. Tequatl might as well have been added since the new fight is much more involved than the old one. And yes, I’d definitely count the new TA path as added since it’s longer and probably better designed than most of the other dungeons. Fractals wasn’t only added once. We had 9 fractals originally and 5 more fractals were added. Sanctum Sprint, Southsun Survival were added.

There were also a bevy of things I played and experienced that are no longer in game, but that doesn’t mean they weren’t there. Most notably of these was the Nightmare Tower, the Marionette Fight and Escape from LA.

The new zones that were added for free aren’t just new zones. They’re new zones with dynamic events and some of the bosses have unique attack and the AI for the creatures your fight are both better and harder.

I should also say SAB came out too, even though it’s not in the game right now, but I had a couple of months playing around in there.

This isn’t a full expansion worth of content, that’s 100% true. However, not everyone is a dungeon runner or a PvPer and for my money, the stuff I’ve played is better than any of the stuff added to Guild Wars 1.

Sorrow’s embrace was six quests, then, which took you through a dungeon. What it wasn’t was an entire new zone with a couple of dozen quests and new achievements and a new JP with new hard to get goggles.

It was a dungeon, and the quests took you through it.

Posted by: DeceiverX.8361

DeceiverX.8361

You should care, because how things are done directly affects the end product.

Like I said earlier, its like eating 1 Skittle every 2 weeks instead of treating yourself to a nice full steak dinner with all the trimmings. Anet can’t afford to make us a steak dinner every night, but I daresay 1 steak dinner every year or two is far more satisfying and builds better memories than a monotonous regimen of 1 Skittle every two weeks.

Except this isn’t applicable to a lot of what’s happened.

A better analogy is deciding to eat one meal per day or no meals daily and every so often having a big feast just to keep you alive. Frankly, I’d take the former out of personal preference, but both are pretty equal in terms of survival. But consider the fact that both cases are still unsatisfactory.

And that’s simply it. The way you get fed- be it food or content – is still unsatisfactory in both cases. Simply, ANet is not including enough new content or frequently freshening the game at an acceptable rate. I don’t really care HOW I get what I want – be it an expansion all at once, or a steady trickle, or whatever it is – as long as what I want comes at a rate which keeps me going. For many people, it has been too slow, and they’ve subsequently left the game, despite still loving the game, simply because they feel like there’s not much – if anything – left to do which interests them as players.

Posted by: Relshdan.6854

Relshdan.6854

seems pretty certain no expansion is coming……..they’ve got everything set to deliver the content they want to in their current model.

new zones/instances/stories via LS………….system revamps and the occasional new skill/trait via “feature patches”. you get less than a real expansion, but you pay nothing for it. its fair….but not sure its the best model to go with (i would gladly pay for expansions if that is what it takes to get new classes/races/weapons/etc).

Chaos Organ (Ele), Pistol Opera (Thief), Modular Man (Eng)
MARA (EU) Gunnar’s Hold

Posted by: Eirdyne.9843

Eirdyne.9843

If we go back through Anet’s track record their honesty is pretty spotty:

- Precursor crafting
- Super Adventure Box returning
- Listening to player feedback
- “All the things you love from Guild Wars 1” … (Would that include expansions?)

Part of the reason I’m logging in less and less right now is so I don’t have to read or argue against the declining faith my guildies have with Anet at the moment. The developers really can’t seem to get their Content to Content Consumption ratios in order. For instance… Let’s say they release a map? Southsun Cove came first. What’s on the map? …Nothing. What’s the reason to go back? Nothing. What are the creatures on the map? Frustrating. When do people go back? When the Dragon Timer tells them the Queen is up.
Next came Dry Top. What’s on the map? Quite a lot actually. But… how long does it take for a player to go through it? The proper way to answer that question is, “Everything or just one thing?” Let’s say you’re into doing achievements and nothing else? That’s one temporal value. How about only Living Story? That’s another temporal value. What if you enjoy the climbing around on the map looking for chests? That’s another temporal value. You have to find and sum all of these temporal values to find the maximum time and minimum time a player must devote to ‘completing’ all of the content. The general issue with Anet is them make content that can all be completed in about 2 hours flat. Lost Coins take a little bit longer, but essentially the reason players are asking for an expansion at this point is because they want something that takes as much time to complete (in total) as about half the time of the wait between Living Stories. Otherwise… all of these releases will continue to feel too short.

Xenon.4537

@DeceiverX.8361

What I mean to get at is that the current format for living world doesn’t seem to include a lot of the big things that expansions have, like new races, classes, skills, weapons, maps, dungeons, end game, etc. The format has been far simpler.

Each episode consists of:

• one section of a new map
  • a small handful of story instances totaling 1-3 hours tops
  • an armor piece OR backpack OR weapon skin
  • a new type of enemy
  • some dynamic events
  • some achievements

I talked about this with Vayne the other day, but I don’t see things like races, classes, or dungeons fitting in to the scope of this format. I can MAYBE see a single new skill OR weapon being added through this format, but it’s unlikely because everyone is just terrified of possible balance issues. It’s sad that everyone ignores the fact that balance can be addressed with further patching.

Races are even less likely because they would need a whole story arc (multiple episodes) dedicated to them, and new animations, and a laundry list of new armor skins to fit their body, etc, etc. These are things that are beyond the scope of a single episode of the current format, and it would simply make more sense to do a whole expansion to accommodate all of it as a cohesive package instead of a hodge-podge of separate episodes.

Xenon.4537

you get less than a real expansion, but you pay nothing for it. its fair….but not sure its the best model to go with (i would gladly pay for expansions if that is what it takes to get new classes/races/weapons/etc).

This is something that gets glossed over in these types of threads. I think we can all be grateful of the free content Anet gives us. It’s really quite nice. But we want more substance. We want to truly get personally invested in this game, and we are willing to pay real money for real content, but Anet just isn’t interested for some reason. I really hope no one is suggesting Anet should make a whole expansion for free. It should be understood that you get what you pay for.

Posted by: Blockhead Magee.3092

Blockhead Magee.3092

No new classes, no new weapons skills, no new playable races, a few new explorable areas. Yeah, LS is a colossal failure to the things I like. Shine up the pig real nice and keep selling hard you white knights.

SBI

Vayne.8563

- Precursor crafting
- “All the things you love from Guild Wars 1” … (Would that include expansions?)

If this is all you can bring up for spotty honesty then Anet is more honest than most companies. It’s been 2 years and literally thousands of things have been said. Less than a dozen don’t ring true. One of the things you quoted was said ONCE, 2 years before the game launched. Good memory.

They never said SAB wouldn’t be back. So it’s not a lie. They never said when it would be back.

They’ve have listened to player feedback. Maybe not yours. The question is did they ever say they would do everything players asked for?

Xenon.4537

- Precursor crafting

If this is all you can bring up for spotty honesty then Anet is more honest than most companies. It’s been 2 years and literally thousands of things have been said. Less than a dozen don’t ring true. One of the things you quoted was said ONCE, 2 years before the game launched. Good memory.

They never said SAB wouldn’t be back. So it’s not a lie. They never said when it would be back.

They’ve have listened to player feedback. Maybe not yours. The question is did they ever say they would do everything players asked for?

Actually they did mention after launch that they had plans to release precursor crafting “by the end of the year” as well as other things such as “new types of legendaries.” And “by the end of the year” meant the end of last year. I believe it was in their big blog post about how far GW2 had come since launch.

Edit: Found it!

https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/looking-ahead-guild-wars-2-in-2013/

“We aren’t quite ready to go into all the details here, but what I can say is you will see a specific way to build precursor items on your way to a legendary. On top of this, you’ll also see new legendary weapons and new types of legendary gear in 2013.”

Not so much as a mouse fart about it since that blog post.

(edited by Xenon.4537)

Vayne.8563

- Precursor crafting

Actually they did mention after launch that they had plans to release precursor crafting “by the end of the year” as well as other things such as “new types of legendaries.” And “by the end of the year” meant the end of last year. I believe it was in their big blog post about how far GW2 had come since launch.

I know and they later said that it had to be pushed back. Saying something and saying it has to be pushed back is not dishonesty.

Posted by: munkiman.3068

munkiman.3068

Okay, so let’s recap.

Let’s pretend it took 4 hours to finish Sorrow’s Embrace instead of 3. And Sorrow’s Embrace was the dungeon. The dungeon was the new area. The quests all led into the dungeon. So saying it’s a new area and a dungeon is quite disingenuous since they’re one and the same thing.

Now, Anet sold Factions which is a whole game onto itself. That game could be finished in a week, even when it came out. People finished it staggeringly fast and people complained about finishing it fast. The DOA came out, the first Guild Wars 2 product that had no Elite area. DOA was added, but in my opinion it was always meant to be in the game. With DOA, Nightfall had really nothing because it didn’t offer any new PvP stuff either, like Factions did. So Anet charged for an entire game with no dungeons, no elite areas, and then added the elite area after launch.

In the mean time, Fractals is a dungeon, which was added to Guild Wars 2. But we didn’t buy a new game either. And Guild Missions (which most people seem to forget about), was something added to Guild Wars 2 including 3 guild puzzles. Not so Secret and Deidre’s Steppes were added. Southsun, the Karka Queen and Triple Thread were added. Tequatl might as well have been added since the new fight is much more involved than the old one. And yes, I’d definitely count the new TA path as added since it’s longer and probably better designed than most of the other dungeons. Fractals wasn’t only added once. We had 9 fractals originally and 5 more fractals were added. Sanctum Sprint, Southsun Survival were added.

There were also a bevy of things I played and experienced that are no longer in game, but that doesn’t mean they weren’t there. Most notably of these was the Nightmare Tower, the Marionette Fight and Escape from LA.

The new zones that were added for free aren’t just new zones. They’re new zones with dynamic events and some of the bosses have unique attack and the AI for the creatures your fight are both better and harder.

I should also say SAB came out too, even though it’s not in the game right now, but I had a couple of months playing around in there.

This isn’t a full expansion worth of content, that’s 100% true. However, not everyone is a dungeon runner or a PvPer and for my money, the stuff I’ve played is better than any of the stuff added to Guild Wars 1.

Sorrow’s embrace was six quests, then, which took you through a dungeon. What it wasn’t was an entire new zone with a couple of dozen quests and new achievements and a new JP with new hard to get goggles.

The big difference for me is back then they built a game they wanted to play, and for better or worse, many people enjoyed it for 7 years. It didn’t feel like they broke the game while starring at metrics and spreadsheets at any given point either.

Most regular long term players i know personally, play for WvW anymore and find LS lackluster. I literally log in for the story releases and i have a good deal invested in the game. Basically this game just isn’t as fun/challenging/rewarding as the original. Unfortunately, that’s not just my opinion either.

As an observation, you Vayne, seem to play forum wars 2 just as much as the game itself (maybe more). If i was as enticed to play as you seem to be, i wouldn’t be here posting nearly as much, i’d be playing.

[TAO] Founder/Owner and Administrator for the NSP Server Website

Xenon.4537

- Precursor crafting

I know and they later said that it had to be pushed back. Saying something and saying it has to be pushed back is not dishonesty.

Yeah but it’s still disappointing

Posted by: ebefren.7609

ebefren.7609

This game leaks users. It NEED an huge thing, something new…call it “expansion”, call it “improvment” call it wathever you want…. but it need it NOW. Before is too late. IMO.

Posted by: DarcShriek.5829

DarcShriek.5829

Okay… mathematically they have released some content. It’s just not enough to satisfy most people. In today’s gaming culture, most gamers want a large, substantial package of content they can consume in a matter of days or weeks. GW2 is trying to drip feed us a couple hours of content at a time. It’s like they have a bag of Skittles and we only get to eat 1 Skittle every 2 weeks. Where is our steak dinner? We need some meat and potatoes.

I’m interested in what numbers you have that say most people aren’t satisfied. You have none, your statement is false.

Posted by: DarcShriek.5829

DarcShriek.5829

This game leaks users. It NEED an huge thing, something new…call it “expansion”, call it “improvment” call it wathever you want…. but it need it NOW. Before is too late. IMO.

All games leak users.

Posted by: Vix.6730

Vix.6730

It’s well documented Anet is in the driver seat. NCsoft can make suggestions, but that’s where it ends. Some time back NCsoft announced an expansion and Colin publicly slapped it down.

munkiman.3068

I’m interested in what numbers you have that say most people aren’t satisfied. You have none, your statement is false.

I do have numbers, however they don’t say why most of them left. The NPE was built to try and retain players. WvW population has dwindled, you can tell easily by lack of queues you’ve seen in the past. Abandoned guilds of 400+ with players that haven’t logged in, in months. And, well, megaserver… You don’t really need numbers to see the exodus taking place.

While i’m certain there are plenty that still enjoy the game and the LS, i’m just as certain many are still around till the next thing comes along and many more have just moved on.

There is always a player loss, for whatever reason. But lately it feels more like we are in the process of abandoning and scuttling the ship. I certainly wish it didn’t though.

Posted by: WalkinGoon.2408

WalkinGoon.2408

I’m pretty skeptical about the existence of an expansion in development myself, but I can’t help but hope one’s in the works and the developers are just delaying an official announcement.

There have been a number of major content updates for other MMOs scheduled for release during the last quarter of 2014; namely expansions for WoW and SWTOR, the release of Arche Age, and a big update for FF14 (which also announced an expansion of its own for Spring 2015). If ArenaNet has one under wraps too, they might’ve decided to save the main announcement til after the hubbub about all the other games dies down, and competition for the media spotlight isn’t as crowded.

That’s just my speculation though, and it goes against my feelings that if that is the case, Anet would be better off saying outright that they do have an expansion planned, and more info will be released when they feel ready to.

As it stands now, it’s too easy to interpret those nod-and-wink hints about “big updates planned” as further extensions to the current Living Story, which has been lackluster for the past 2 years. With barely anything to go by, it’s better off to approach with lowered expectations than to try to build hype.

On the bight side, with no subscription, it’s easy to take a break from GW2 and pick it up again whenever you feel like it. And assuming the draws of the game haven’t spoiled other MMOs for you, now is certainly a good time to check out the major happenings in other games.

Posted by: Ashen.2907

Ashen.2907

Where are your numbers to show that his statement is false ?

If you had said, “unsupported,” you would have been correct but none of us have the data to prove or disprove his statement. He could be right, he could be wrong, none of us have the data to prove either position.

Posted by: Belenwyn.8674

Belenwyn.8674

@DeceiverX.8361

What I mean to get at is that the current format for living world doesn’t seem to include a lot of the big things that expansions have, like new races, classes, skills, weapons, maps, dungeons, end game, etc. The format has been far simpler.

Each episode consists of:

• one section of a new map
  • a small handful of story instances totaling 1-3 hours tops
  • an armor piece OR backpack OR weapon skin
  • a new type of enemy
  • some dynamic events
  • some achievements

I talked about this with Vayne the other day, but I don’t see things like races, classes, or dungeons fitting in to the scope of this format. I can MAYBE see a single new skill OR weapon being added through this format, but it’s unlikely because everyone is just terrified of possible balance issues. It’s sad that everyone ignores the fact that balance can be addressed with further patching.

Races are even less likely because they would need a whole story arc (multiple episodes) dedicated to them, and new animations, and a laundry list of new armor skins to fit their body, etc, etc. These are things that are beyond the scope of a single episode of the current format, and it would simply make more sense to do a whole expansion to accommodate all of it as a cohesive package instead of a hodge-podge of separate episodes.

Only a small team is working on the current season. And we see the maximum of content it can provide. Assumed much bigger teams are working on the big projects – let us call them season 3 and 4 – it is easily possible to deliver larger quantities of content: bigger maps, skills, new weapons etc.

If Arenanet fear balance issues caused by new skills we will never see them – not via LW and not via X-pac. If it is too much work to design gear and animations for a new race the reace will never be released.

Posted by: Galen Grey.4709

Galen Grey.4709

2. Where is the rest of the Anet staff? This is probably the worst and most speculative belief propelled by Expansion truthers. Ive heard a lot of people, like say WP, say that there are plenty of people at Anet we haven’t seen for a while, yet the problem is, the specific people or group or people are never mentioned. Its always “oh we haven’t seen a lot of people at Anet for a while”. its not saying who specifically isn’t there and because of that there is no good reason to believe people are missing or in the background if we can’t even name them.

Not true. Specific people have been mentioned plenty of times. People like Ree Soesbee. Jeff Grubb and Eric Flannum. These arent small names and they were part of the fact of Gw2 at launch and then puff they disappeared. Research still indicates they still work at Anet yet we have not hear a single peep from any of them since launch.

These are obviously the high profile people we know off. Many other Employees work at arenanet and we have never heard from them so we cannot really claim they disappeared cause in a sense they were never there to begin with. Thing is its not just about people disappearing its about the math. Which teams have been releasing content? The bulk of the content came without a doubt by the living story team. We know the size of that team and its 20 people. There are the feature releases we dont know how bit the team working on that is but its pretty clear the amount of content released in a feature pack is much less then what the ls team releases in the same period of time. So its safe to say chances are its 20 people or less. Then there is the PvP team which again seems to be a smaller team the the living story team. That accounts for less then 60 people out of the 350+ employees Arenanet employs.

None of this means there is going to be an expansion obviously but I dont think its fair to say " there is no good reason to believe people are missing or in the background" We have 2 good reasons to believe Arenanet when they say they have stuff cooking in the background (1) missing in action high profile employees (2) team sizes that have been delivering content in the past couple of years is a small fraction of the overall people working at Arenanet.

it may not be an expansion of course, they said it plenty of times they dont know how they’re going to release the so called expansion content… maybe season 2 of the living story will end with us going head on the magumma wastes when we’re suddenly given 20 zones to explore to the east of what we currently have or maybe we’ll just get a boxed expansion. Maybe that will happen but not at the end of season 2 but at the end of season 3 but people who believe its going to happen have valid reason for believing it.

1. The big background project. This is a phrase we’ve heard uttered a few times by Anet devs. Its also one that we heard a very long time ago. So long ago that its not unreasonable to believe it could be something we’ve already experienced, like Season 2 or a specific feature we received.

Well we can exclude season 2 and feature packs, perhaps not EotM but then again if season 1 isnt a big project then would anyone consider EotM a big project?

why can we exclude LS and feature packs? this interview in a nutshell
https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/external?l=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.eurogamer.net%2Farticles%2F2014-01-14-you-thought-that-was-it-for-guild-wars-2

“ArenaNet is full tilt with the Chinese launch of Guild Wars 2, the Season One finale, the feature-build update and the two big background projects.”

pretty clear the to two big background projects were not related to season 1 or the feature pack and considering the break there was between season 1 and season 2 i think its safe to say it didnt involve season 2 being worked on in parallel either.

Posted by: kuittaa.7360

kuittaa.7360

So when they say nothing is off the table, it is meant to be understood as everything is coming, we just don’t want to say when.

To a new player, the fact that SAB has been in game in the past is no different than a new class/race not being in the game now. New player can’t access either. Those who had priviledge of playing SAB in the past can remember how it was, and some unfortune individuals can still stare their infinite continue coin in the bank.

OT: everything indicates strongly that there will not be a “boxed” expansion. Not next year, nor next, nor ever. The medium of delivering content is LS. It has improved from Season 1 – story is still same kitten, but at least content is nearly permanent – but it still has miles and miles to go before it can be said to be a good medium.

munkiman.3068

You want confirmations? The single lay off (if it even was a layoff) happened in august 2013. After that we got Twilight Assault dungeon, tower of nightmares, fractals.
seems like dungeon stuff to me.

backing up Saalle’s “drivel”
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2014-01-14-you-thought-that-was-it-for-guild-wars-2

“Is there really no expansion planned?

Actually, it sounds like there is an expansion planned. “We have a couple of really big Guild Wars projects cooking in the background,” Johanson told me."

just incase you may assume the big projects were either the living story, chinese release or feature packs there is this clear distinction its not related to either of them

“ArenaNet is full tilt with the Chinese launch of Guild Wars 2, the Season One finale, the feature-build update and the two big background projects.”

But thats not all its easy to refute the claim its all about Living story. First we know there are over 350 employees at arenanet (same source)
“As for dwindling investment, it appears to be a myth: ArenaNet had a whopping 300 people when Guild Wars 2 launched, and now… now there are 350 and counting – ArenaNet is hiring.”

and we know living story team is a mere 20 people of that
Source: https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/livingworld/lwd/Enough-of-your-GMPC-please/page/3#post4193277

“Our team changes in size, but there are just a little over twenty people on it at any given time.”

There hope those sources are enough.

Now I would love some sources for the following 2 statement you make

“The dungeon team was let go, as was the QA team in favor of an outsource company.”

Cause as far as i know the dungeon team was just reassigned and QA I didnt hear anything but searching on linked in you can still find people who’s current listed job is QA not to mention Points of interest 6 had a guest from QA.

to be honest I cant even find a reference that the dungeon team was disbanded seems its mostly players saying it but maybe i missed a reference somewhere because thats something that quite widespread. would be said if it isnt even true.

If you look at the items mentioned in that article, you’ll notice, that much of it has taken a pretty long time to develop. If you look at things in general, there are bugs, features, and other tidbits that have lingered far too long (some since release). Things that turn people off, some that are even more problematic when tied with the achievement system.

I think wooden potatos is pretty close when he talked about the LS as “fillers” till we get the main course, however, i don’t think the model is all that well received. I personally enjoy doing the story stuff and exploring the new maps, but it definitely doesn’t hook me. Overall, it’s about enough to keep me logging in each patch to at least unlock it.

I feel it’s fair to have concerns about communication, especially in the bug department or addressing the need to fix some of these hot-button issues feature packs have introduced. I’m sure they are working on them, but it’s painfully slow to come and not much has been said about even planning to fix some of them. This not to mention stuff they decided to completely remove from the game.

I also feel 2 years is a respectable amount of time to start thinking we should see some significant expansion like content and maybe we will. But not addressing the elephants in the room at this point, doesn’t make me feel confident that an x-pac would even be all that well received.

Posted by: Galen Grey.4709

Galen Grey.4709

If you look at the items mentioned in that article, you’ll notice, that much of it has taken a pretty long time to develop. If you look at things in general, there are bugs, features, and other tidbits that have lingered far too long (some since release). Things that turn people off, some that are even more problematic when tied with the achievement system.

I think wooden potatos is pretty close when he talked about the LS as “fillers” till we get the main course, however, i don’t think the model is all that well received. I personally enjoy doing the story stuff and exploring the new maps, but it definitely doesn’t hook me. Overall, it’s about enough to keep me logging in each patch to at least unlock it.

I feel it’s fair to have concerns about communication, especially in the bug department or addressing the need to fix some of these hot-button issues feature packs have introduced. I’m sure they are working on them, but it’s painfully slow to come and not much has been said about even planning to fix some of them. This not to mention stuff they decided to completely remove from the game.

I also feel 2 years is a respectable amount of time to start thinking we should see some significant expansion like content and maybe we will. But not addressing the elephants in the room at this point, doesn’t make me feel confident that an x-pac would even be all that well received.

I agree with WoodenPotatoes. Thing is if they’ve been working on an x-pac all along it means it takes over 2 years for them to complete it. 2 years its a very long time to go without content. LS addresses that issue. Obviously its no substitute for an expansion, a new story to explore every 2 weeks is great but it cant compete with having a new continent full of stories to experience. That being said I do believe the LS is crucial to the health of Gw2 .Even the giant behemoth of MMOs that also happens to take about 2 years in between expansions sheds about 1/2 its players in between expansions. 2 years with nearly nothing new to do at all is a long time.

IF our theory is true and the LS is just to keep people busy while an expansion is being developed it would be another awesome innovation Gw2 has that makes the MMO experience even better then what we had before. I also think it will change people’s perceptions for the better a lot. A lot of the current negativity seems to me stems because people believe living story is all they’re going to get ever!

Vayne.8563

Okay, so let’s recap.

The big difference for me is back then they built a game they wanted to play, and for better or worse, many people enjoyed it for 7 years. It didn’t feel like they broke the game while starring at metrics and spreadsheets at any given point either.

Most regular long term players i know personally, play for WvW anymore and find LS lackluster. I literally log in for the story releases and i have a good deal invested in the game. Basically this game just isn’t as fun/challenging/rewarding as the original. Unfortunately, that’s not just my opinion either.

As an observation, you Vayne, seem to play forum wars 2 just as much as the game itself (maybe more). If i was as enticed to play as you seem to be, i wouldn’t be here posting nearly as much, i’d be playing.

You’re a riot. I’ve said this before. Do you realize how much I play? No matter how good a game is, you can’t play it 24 hours a day. It’s not reasonable.

My guild is on US times and I’m in Australia. I almost never post during the day when they’re on. When they go to sleep, I’ve usually been playing anywhere between four hours and eight. That’s a LOT of time to play a game daily no matter what the game. And I do prefer to play with my guild.

At night sometimes, I’ll level a lowbie to relax or farm some mats in low level areas, but I take frequent breaks to come to the forums to respond to posts, because being part of the community is part of my game.

However, I can promise you, I didn’t get 21,414 achievement points by sitting on the forums. And you know, there’s plenty of downtime to peruse the forums. I can look at forums while I’m on mumble, waiting for a group of people to do a dungeon that aren’t quite ready. Or before guild missions while we’re gathering. You make it sound like I spend hours on the forums every day. In fact, I’m only actually posting for an hour or two a day. The rest of the time, I’m doing other stuff.

Edit: As an example today I finished the last three achievements I needed for Twilight Abor Aetherpath and got my mini clockheart. If you want to meet up in game I can show it to you for proof lol).

Vayne.8563

So when they say nothing is off the table, it is meant to be understood as everything is coming, we just don’t want to say when.

To a new player, the fact that SAB has been in game in the past is no different than a new class/race not being in the game now. New player can’t access either. Those who had priviledge of playing SAB in the past can remember how it was, and some unfortune individuals can still stare their infinite continue coin in the bank.

OT: everything indicates strongly that there will not be a “boxed” expansion. Not next year, nor next, nor ever. The medium of delivering content is LS. It has improved from Season 1 – story is still same kitten, but at least content is nearly permanent – but it still has miles and miles to go before it can be said to be a good medium.

First of all, Colin said that SAB will definitely be back. It was said by someone or other that it wouldn’t be back during this season of the Living Story. It’s not a lie no matter how you slice it.

Someone brought it up as an example of a lie. If so, what was the lie?

Posted by: ZudetGambeous.9573

ZudetGambeous.9573

First of all, Colin said that SAB will definitely be back. It was said by someone or other that it wouldn’t be back during this season of the Living Story. It’s not a lie no matter how you slice it.

I’m fairly certain Colin said the opposite of that… do you have a link?

The whole expansion argument is identical to the people who believe in big foot. You have one set of people who say that there is nothing to indicate that big foot is real, the past has shown that he probably isn’t real, and you just need to accept that. The other side is saying, you can’t prove that big foot isn’t real, and as technology gets better we will eventually see big foot “sometime” in the future. They pretend to be rational by saying things like “well one of us will be proven right eventually”. Well obviously… but only one of those positions is rational.

Vayne.8563

The whole expansion argument is identical to the people who believe in big foot. You have one set of people who say that there is nothing to indicate that big foot is real, the past has shown that he probably isn’t real, and you just need to accept that. The other side is saying, you can’t prove that big foot isn’t real, and as technology gets better we will eventually see big foot “sometime” in the future. They pretend to be rational by saying things like “well one of us will be proven right eventually”. Well obviously… but only one of those positions is rational.

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/gw2/Super-Adventure-Box-merged-1/page/14#post4456748

Edit: By the way comparing believing that expansion content is coming and believing in big foot is not really the same thing. Even trying to compare that is disingenuous.

munkiman.3068

You’re a riot. I’ve said this before. Do you realize how much I play? No matter how good a game is, you can’t play it 24 hours a day. It’s not reasonable.

My guild is on US times and I’m in Australia. I almost never post during the day when they’re on. When they go to sleep, I’ve usually been playing anywhere between four hours and eight. That’s a LOT of time to play a game daily no matter what the game. And I do prefer to play with my guild.

At night sometimes, I’ll level a lowbie to relax or farm some mats in low level areas, but I take frequent breaks to come to the forums to respond to posts, because being part of the community is part of my game.

However, I can promise you, I didn’t get 21,414 achievement points by sitting on the forums. And you know, there’s plenty of downtime to peruse the forums. I can look at forums while I’m on mumble, waiting for a group of people to do a dungeon that aren’t quite ready. Or before guild missions while we’re gathering. You make it sound like I spend hours on the forums every day. In fact, I’m only actually posting for an hour or two a day. The rest of the time, I’m doing other stuff.

Edit: As an example today I finished the last three achievements I needed for Twilight Abor Aetherpath and got my mini clockheart. If you want to meet up in game I can show it to you for proof lol).

That’s fine, i’m not trying to accuse you of anything. I know i spend far more time on these forums than playing, as well as any other games forums for that matter. I actually don’t even think i’ve ever really used any other games forums at all, i’m usually just playing the game. I guess it’s just surprising how many posts you answer in comparison to me, who spends more time here than in game.

Vayne.8563

That’s fine, i’m not trying to accuse you of anything. I know i spend far more time on these forums than playing, as well as any other games forums for that matter. I actually don’t even think i’ve ever really used any other games forums at all, i’m usually just playing the game. I guess it’s just surprising how many posts you answer in comparison to me, who spends more time here than in game.

Sure but I answer them in my evening, when the guild is sound asleep and no one (or hardly anyone) is online. Tons of hours in a day if you’re retired.

Posted by: ZudetGambeous.9573

ZudetGambeous.9573

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/gw2/Super-Adventure-Box-merged-1/page/14#post4456748

Edit: By the way comparing believing that expansion content is coming and believing in big foot is not really the same thing. Even trying to compare that is disingenuous.

Thanks for the link, I missed that post.

I literally just took the arguments I’ve seen in this thread and replaced the word expansion with big foot. People keep asking to prove that there is no expansion coming. You simply can’t prove something that doesn’t exist.