There will be no compensation for autobuild.

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Lyle.8591

Lyle.8591

looks like we’re stuck with it )’:

sent in a ticket last night and anet is totally solid with their choice despite the numerous complaints and the poor lil elementalists who are now all earth.

sorry to anyone who also has level 30-50 characters that have been messed up, good luck starting over or earning those hero points back to fix yerself up!

Posted by: Ralanost.8913

Ralanost.8913

I just deleted my little ele and remade her since I knew that would be the outcome. Really stupid decision on Arenanet’s part. Should have just reset everything and let us spent points as we want.

Posted by: Greymelken.1892

Greymelken.1892

there really ought to be a chance to at least respec, even if it were for a fee of in-game currency

Lyle.8591

I just deleted my little ele and remade her since I knew that would be the outcome. Really stupid decision on Arenanet’s part. Should have just reset everything and let us spent points as we want.

yea i am being honest here when i say that i haven’t really seen anyone be like
“YES!!! my character is autobuit!!! earth specc i always wanted!!!!”

it’s too bad really!

Posted by: Rauderi.8706

Rauderi.8706

+1, yo.

I saw this coming the moment I saw the statement. There wasn’t going to be any heuristic that would adequately rebuild a mid-tier character. Best I can say is go Hero Challenge hunting and get back into it as soon as possible.

Many alts; handle it!
“I’m finding companies should sell access to forums,
it seems many like them better than the games they comment on.” -Horrorscope.7632

Posted by: Kal Spiro.9745

Kal Spiro.9745

“earning those hero points back” Also known as leveling up.

My Staff Ele is Earth spec… so…

Tarnished Coast Kal Spiro – Ranger (80), LB/S-D, Eagle/Wolf, Signet, M/S/WS #SABorRiot
|Daredevil|Ranger|Guardian|Scrapper|Necromancer|Berserker|Dragonhunter|Mesmer|Elementalist
|Deadeye|Warrior|Herald|Daredevil|Reaper|Spellbreaker

Posted by: Sarevok.2638

Sarevok.2638

There are people who DON’T just eotm train up? :o

Posted by: ThePahkage.2684

ThePahkage.2684

it’s really hard to have empathy for this.

the overall changes that anet are working on are huge. your complaint is a small by-product, that is nothing more than a slight inconvenience.

the short answer to your problem is simply kitten n play. try it. maybe you’ll turn out to be a better player for this.

Posted by: LanfearShadowflame.3189

LanfearShadowflame.3189

Not sure why some got terrible builds and others didn’t.

My lvl 55 ele got fire, water, and arcane unlocked, or at least partially unlocked. Earth and Air are still at 0. Don’t recall which skill lines where auto-allotted. I had fire and water slotted by default and shes stronger now than before the new system.

My lvl 37 ranger had some wilderness survival unlocked, and I had enough points to work on unlocking marksmanship on her. She also had some signet training and some survival training done. She had WS slotted by default, and I actually opted to keep that instead of swapping over to Marks for the time being.

Don’t look at me like that. Whatever you’ve heard, it’s probably not true.

Posted by: Crispy.8291

Crispy.8291

err… I just discovered this.

My character ‘Crispy Chrissy’ always has only ever used Fire Spells. It’s what she does. It’s her character in Role Play.

I’ve put considerable time and efforts into developing my Fire-based Role Play character and have no intention of re-rolling or ‘adjusting’ my characters intricately detailed back story. She was severely flame scarred in youth, hence the name.

Am I supposed to rewrite the tale with her suffering numerous avalanche incidents? errrr… No.

I’m hoping Anet will rethink this auto-build thing and allow us to re-spec. Otherwise, my character is 100% borked.

Crispy Chrissy

Posted by: bob.5680

bob.5680

it’s too bad really!

Well, I’m happy with the autobuild of my 31 lvl 80 characters. It got them (at least the ones I’ve had time to investigate) at or close to what they previously were.

Of course all of mine were already level 80 so I was able to add all of the traits to them. For lower level characters it sounds like they didn’t (always?) hit the mark with their auto leveling.

Lyle.8591

it’s really hard to have empathy for this.

the overall changes that anet are working on are huge. your complaint is a small by-product, that is nothing more than a slight inconvenience.

the short answer to your problem is simply kitten n play. try it. maybe you’ll turn out to be a better player for this.

it may be a small product, but i’m still allowed to be frustrated!
i don’t think it’s wrong to critique small elements of a really fantastic game!

critique, no matter how small the issue, is how things constantly improve!

maybe you’ll turn out to be more empathetic for this. :o

Posted by: Palador.2170

Palador.2170

err… I just discovered this.

My character ‘Crispy Chrissy’ always has only ever used Fire Spells. It’s what she does. It’s her character in Role Play.

I’ve put considerable time and efforts into developing my Fire-based Role Play character and have no intention of re-rolling or ‘adjusting’ my characters intricately detailed back story. She was severely flame scarred in youth, hence the name.

Am I supposed to rewrite the tale with her suffering numerous avalanche incidents? errrr… No.

I’m hoping Anet will rethink this auto-build thing and allow us to re-spec. Otherwise, my character is 100% borked.

Crispy Chrissy

Do you have any level/EXP items in your bank? Any easy skill/hero challenges you’ve not done with her yet? Crafting? You might be able to get the points you need to fix her without doing anything drastic.

I seriously doubt that they’re going to allow a respec. That’s a lot of coding work for a one-time thing that will not even be needed if you can continue to level a character. Don’t forget, by level 80 you’ll have the points to unlock ALL the base class traits and skills, so there’s no such thing as a perma-broken autobuild.

Sarcasm, delivered with a
delicate, brick-like subtlety.

Posted by: Aerlen.5326

Aerlen.5326

Are you dropping 60-50 levels on these folks? Then quit saying “By level 80…”.

We know. By level 80, it won’t matter. All 80’s are fine. All new characters are fine. Everyone in the middle is kittened.

~Tarnished Coast Pride~

Forever known as “that slow guardian who can’t jump worth crap”.

Posted by: Divine Flavor.2016

Divine Flavor.2016

You have to admit though, it does kind of suck. They sold this game on the idea that the journey was the reward – take your time, do what you want to do, level at your leisure. Now they’re basically saying – just get to 80 and unscrew yourself.

Posted by: Astraea.6075

Astraea.6075

I haven’t checked all my sub-80 toons yet, but the autobuild worked fine for my level 36 ele. She got given fire spec, and all the skills she was previously using were trained as well.

While it is unfortunate that it didn’t work out so well for others, the complaints about having to “grind” hero points are a bit too dramatic given you can get them just by logging in (tome of knowledge login rewards) if you truly believe the autobuild has made your character unplayable.

Posted by: Ashen.2907

Ashen.2907

A character with a build that I didnt choose is not my character. I dont play other people’s characters. If the Anet team wants to see certain builds played they can do it on their accounts. Hijacking my account to run their characters is ridiculous. Why dont they change character names and cosmetic choices to match their preferences as well?

Seriously, this isnt an oversight or accident, they spent extra time, effort, and money to take characters away.

Posted by: Palador.2170

Palador.2170

Are you dropping 60-50 levels on these folks? Then quit saying “By level 80…”.

We know. By level 80, it won’t matter. All 80’s are fine. All new characters are fine. Everyone in the middle is kittened.

And if they’re level 20, they don’t NEED to get all the way to level 80 to get the points for an entire trait line.

That’s the point, that there’s no such thing as a base trait or skill that can’t be purchased by gaining some more points. Yes, it may take several levels. How many? I don’t know, but it is ALWAYS possible. I’m just asking them to consider that and decide if it’s worth it or not.

[edit] And the game gives out a few level tomes just for logging in for a month. Even an unplayed character can eventually reach the points they need from leveling.

Sarcasm, delivered with a
delicate, brick-like subtlety.

Lyle.8591

I haven’t checked all my sub-80 toons yet, but the autobuild worked fine for my level 36 ele. She got given fire spec, and all the skills she was previously using were trained as well.

While it is unfortunate that it didn’t work out so well for others, the complaints about having to “grind” hero points are a bit too dramatic given you can get them just by logging in (tome of knowledge login rewards) if you truly believe the autobuild has made your character unplayable.

i’m glad for you, that’s really lucky!

unfortunately, many others DIDN’T get this luxury!
luckily in gw2, nothing is 100% unplayable, and you’re right you can indeed undo it.

however, it isn’t really fun to play on a character you don’t want to play! for however long. i don’t think it’s dramatic to say it’s at least a minor frustration.

i am honestly confused about the gw2 community jumping to the ‘dramarama!!!’ conclusion when people express their frustration! like i said before critique is extremely important for all types of media, mmos in particular. it’s extremely necessary for the community to speak up when something bothers them.

Posted by: mtpelion.4562

mtpelion.4562

I’ve leveled without taking any traits, so while this may be an inconvenience, it certainly does not prevent you from playing the game or leveling up.

Server: Devona’s Rest

Lyle.8591

I’ve leveled without taking any traits, so while this may be an inconvenience, it certainly does not prevent you from playing the game or leveling up.

no one has made the claim that you can’t play or level up without traits.

mtpelion.4562

So if you* aren’t being prevented from playing or leveling, why are some people threatening to leave the game over it?

*Note that “you” refers in general to the people making such claims, not to “you” specifically.

Lyle.8591

So if you* aren’t being prevented from playing or leveling, why are some people threatening to leave the game over it?

*Note that “you” refers in general to the people making such claims, not to “you” specifically.

i don’t know, i haven’t seen any threats like that quite yet.

i think people are just frustrated that their character is suddenly remade into something not of their choosing!

Ashen.2907

Perhaps because this deprives them of any enjoyment to be gained from the activity?

I am physically capable of running a character while an airhorn sounds next to me every time I press a key. Wouldnt be fun.

mtpelion.4562

Perhaps because this deprives them of any enjoyment to be gained from the activity?

I am physically capable of running a character while an airhorn sounds next to me every time I press a key. Wouldnt be fun.

They are not being deprived of their enjoyment by the game. They are choosing to deprive themselves by refusing to simply level up.

Posted by: Mightylink.3816

Mightylink.3816

At this point it seems like its better to start over which is a real game killer to me, its either that or grind through another 30-40 levels of a character I hate and don’t want to play…

Mightylink – Norn Necromancer
Mythiclink – Asura Engineer

Divine Flavor.2016

i think people are just frustrated that their character is suddenly remade into something not of their choosing!

which is actually a valid complaint.

Posted by: Lord Arhan Warmark.7098

Lord Arhan Warmark.7098

I didn’t know anything about the “auto-build” feature. From what I can remember the last time they redid traits they refunded all the points instead of “guessing”. But I could be wrong. I wonder what would have happened if all the trait points had been reset before they patched – ie: you had no points in any of the skills. Would they still have auto assigned them or would you have had all the points waiting for you to pick? I had full world completion so I was able to train everything (with points left over) and pick the lines and skills I wanted. That sucks for people who didn’t have enough points to unlock what they wanted.

Ashen.2907

They are not being deprived of their enjoyment by the game. They are choosing to deprive themselves by refusing to simply level up.

The enjoyment of leveling up is what they are being deprived of. The journey not the destination.

Divine Flavor.2016

You’re just blowing off the people who weren’t as fortunate as you. Some people got steamed, and rightfully so. They came on the forums to seek redress because that’s what forums are for. It would be dramatic if they went out and ran over a kitten.

Posted by: BrotherBelial.3094

BrotherBelial.3094

That was a silly decision. Could have just used ToK to level up.

i5 4690K @ 3.5Mhz|8GB HyperX Savage 1600mHz|MSI H81M-E34|MSI GTX 960 Gaming 2GB|
|Seasonic S12G 650W|Win10 Pro X64| Corsair Spec 03 Case|

Posted by: Tere.4759

Tere.4759

it’s too bad really!

I am running earth. I was happy with it. It gave me earth and water which is what I was running.

Guild Leader of The Black Court, we’re small, friendly and active.

Lyle.8591

it’s too bad really!

I am running earth. I was happy with it.

i wasn’t knocking earth! just about 90% of the elementalists i talk to got autospecced into it whether they like it or not.

Posted by: Belzebu.3912

Belzebu.3912

Are you guys for real?
Get a couple levels and do a few hero challenge and then unlock everything, I’m sure you don’t even need to be at level 80 to unlock 100% of the skills and traits, this “problem” is temporary and can be solved in a few hours of gameplay.
If you don’t want to level up and/or do the hero challenges so why do you even care about build anyway?

Charter Vanguard [CV] – HoD
Bardy Belzebuson – Ranger Sir Belzebu – Herald
(and the other 8 elite specs maxed too)

Posted by: briggah.7910

briggah.7910

it’s too bad really!

Actually I used 2 in earth, 6 water, and 6 arcane before patch. Now I use 6 in all of those.

YES!!! my character is auto-built. Now I get to benefit from the other traits in the earth trait line. Of course I had to tweak it some.

About resetting traits. Took me maybe 5 mins to tweak my build and hope back into WvW. If they reset everything it would have took a lot longer.

Also I’m level 80 so maybe that is why I think it was a good choice. I have 9 level 80s now and to be honest I never worried about my build on most of my alts until I hit level 80. Same with gear. Once I got to level 80 is when I decided which traits I wanted.

Player Vs Everyone
youtube channel - twitch channel

Divine Flavor.2016

That was a silly decision. Could have just used ToK to level up.

It sounded like he didn’t want to sit and wait a month on it, or farm for them.

Lyle.8591

Are you guys for real?
Get a couple levels and do a few hero challenge and then unlock everything, I’m sure you don’t even need to be at level 80 to unlock 100% of the skills and traits, this “problem” is temporary and can be solved in a few hours of gameplay.
If you don’t want to level up and/or do the hero challenges so why do you even care about build anyway?

we are critiquing an implement of a frustrating system, i don’t understand why people get so mad when someone gets frustrated. sure its just ‘a few hours’ what if my time is limited! what if i have a job and can’t play gw2 all day and want to play the character i was building before the patch in my free time!

everyone cares about build at least to some extent i think. they want to play the game ‘their way’, make their own character and progress with it!

it’s not an issue of not having access to it all in the end, it just felt unnecessary!! and the algorithms for the autobuild were woahwacky it seems. it’s like ‘oops you had the wrong weapon equipped!!! here is a full spec of (thing you don’t want)’ haha

Divine Flavor.2016

Are you guys for real?

we are critiquing an implement of a frustrating system, i don’t understand why people get so mad when someone gets frustrated. sure its just ‘a few hours’ what if my time is limited! what if i have a job and can’t play gw2 all day and want to play the character i was building before the patch in my free time!

everyone cares about build at least to some extent i think. they want to play the game ‘their way’, make their own character and progress with it!

it’s not an issue of not having access to it all in the end, it just felt unnecessary!! and the algorithms for the autobuild were woahwacky it seems. it’s like ‘oops you had the wrong weapon equipped!!! here is a full spec of (thing you don’t want)’ haha

People just assume everyone is more or less like them.

Belzebu.3912

It is not frustrating, it is inconvenient at best.
I also have a job (writing this from the office :P ), I leave home 7:50 am and get back 7:30 pm, anyway … I’m 100% sure that the auto build didn’t break your character so badly that you are not able to play it anymore, also if the build was perfect you would still level your character anyway, right? So what is the big problem anyway?

Jon Peters explained why they did it that way here: https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/gw2/Things-we-know/5199934

bob.5680

I believe that for those of us with lvl 80 toons the autobuild was the best compromise. If less than 80 (I didn’t have any) it sounds like an inconvenience is all. If they had offered an option to relock traits and refund the hero points that may have reduced the inconvenience…but they didn’t. Pretty much leaves playing the game as the best option.

Posted by: Gulesave.5073

Gulesave.5073

Oh, I’m stuck with a different build for a few levels? (shrugs, adapts, continues playing the game)

I should be writing.

Posted by: Kal Spiro.9745

Kal Spiro.9745

I’m pretty sure no one should have been specced into earth if they didn’t have earth traits. It’s hard for the system to gauge what to go with, and I can’t even begin to guess how it’s written, but it tried to give everyone a full spec for their level based on the only information it had.

It was a bad call, they shouldn’t have done it this way, but this is how they did it. So this is where we are now. It is not that big an issue to be in a build you don’t want.

Everybody, at some point during the leveling process has been in a build they don’t want because they were restricted in where they could put their trait points. Until you’re at a level where it wouldn’t even matter in this system, you’re running a build you don’t actually want.

Tarnished Coast Kal Spiro – Ranger (80), LB/S-D, Eagle/Wolf, Signet, M/S/WS #SABorRiot
|Daredevil|Ranger|Guardian|Scrapper|Necromancer|Berserker|Dragonhunter|Mesmer|Elementalist
|Deadeye|Warrior|Herald|Daredevil|Reaper|Spellbreaker

Lyle.8591

It is not frustrating, it is inconvenient at best.
I also have a job (writing this from the office :P ), I leave home 7:50 am and get back 7:30 pm, anyway … I’m 100% sure that the auto build didn’t break your character so badly that you are not able to play it anymore, also if the build was perfect you would still level your character anyway, right? So what is the big problem anyway?

Jon Peters explained why they did it that way here: https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/gw2/Things-we-know/5199934

i have read the explanation. i am glad for you! i’m glad you have a job that you can check the gw2 forums from that’s really cool. i wish i had a job like that, sounds nice…

however, i disagree. first of all this is a subjective matter. i may be frustrated by something you are ‘inconvenienced’ with. that is ok. we are allowed to have differing opinions! however there is no reason to invalidate someone’s frustration with a poor mechanic by telling them it is objectively inconvenient! we are just speaking up about our minor frustration with the autobuild system. no one is threatening to break down the anet doors and take hostage!

it is healthy for the community to have discussions like this. it is healthy for the devs to see how we react to new features.

if the build was perfect, it’d be fine! i’d have fun playing my character the way that i built her. however, that is not the case! i remade a couple of my characters and had much more fun recreating them the way they were intended! this was fun, yes this game is SUPER FUN! and i love it. this doesn’t change that.

however, in my minimal free time i’d have had MORE fun, 20% less stress, and no need to type out this giant garble nobodys probably gonna read if this didn’t happen!

so i think it’s fine to express that here, in an open discussion on the game forums.
i hope that wasn’t super boring or rude or anything!

bob.5680

Hmm, frustration is a feeling whereas inconvenience is having to do something that you’d rather not do.

Actually, since being frustrated is a reference to how one feels, no one can tell you that you aren’t frustrated (can’t tell you how you feel).

From what I read elsewhere, there was a claim that the developers chose to do the autobuild as the lessor of evils. On the surface, to me anyway, I would expect that simply resetting everyone’s traits would have been considerably easier from a programming standpoint. I assumed that they chose this path as it would wind up “inconveniencing” fewer people. I don’t know though.

Belzebu.3912

i have read the explanation. i am glad for you! i’m glad you have a job that you can check the gw2 forums from that’s really cool. i wish i had a job like that, sounds nice…

Be from IT rules

however, i disagree. first of all this is a subjective matter. i may be frustrated by something you are ‘inconvenienced’ with. that is ok. we are allowed to have differing opinions! however there is no reason to invalidate someone’s frustration with a poor mechanic by telling them it is objectively inconvenient!

Yeah, you are right, it was kinda selfish point of view from me.

if the build was perfect, it’d be fine! i’d have fun playing my character the way that i built her. however, that is not the case! i remade a couple of my characters and had much more fun recreating them the way they were intended! this was fun, yes this game is SUPER FUN! and i love it. this doesn’t change that.

however, in my minimal free time i’d have had MORE fun, 20% less stress, and no need to type out this giant garble nobodys probably gonna read if this didn’t happen!

so i think it’s fine to express that here, in an open discussion on the game forums.
i hope that wasn’t super boring or rude or anything!

Yes, discuss the situation is fine, but Jon already explained why they took that rote as solution and people should know that an algorithm that convert the builds won’t be perfect at all, and most posts here seems more like plain venting of frustration than just discussion.

I’m sad that for a while you won’t have the best experience in-game but keep in mind that sooner than you expect you’ll get back in that good times you had.

Posted by: cadmiumgreen.8712

cadmiumgreen.8712

It’s so refreshing to know a company cares enough about my characters to see them without any traits or skill and decides to go fix that up for them without consulting me. Because, well, let’s face it, I just can’t be trusted with the responsibility of setting up my characters’ traits without a corporate hand. Ar they going to continue to select my traits and skills me for me? Because I’m still that untrustworthy fellow you couldn’t count on to pick the right traits a couple days ago, so I think they should make sure to spend those hero points for me lest I fail to do so myself. Nothing makes me feel more like it’s an RPG than having my skills and traits picked for me, yessiree boy howdy!

Ashen.2907

It’s so refreshing to know a company cares enough about my characters to see them without any traits or skill and decides to go fix that up for them without consulting me. Because, well, let’s face it, I just can’t be trusted with the responsibility of setting up my characters’ traits without a corporate hand. Ar they going to continue to select my traits and skills me for me? Because I’m still that untrustworthy fellow you couldn’t count on to pick the right traits a couple days ago, so I think they should make sure to spend those hero points for me lest I fail to do so myself. Nothing makes me feel more like it’s an RPG than having my skills and traits picked for me, yessiree boy howdy!

Indeed.

bob.5680

I think you are missing the point that the autobuild did actually work for some people. Apparently not for you, but life can be like that…

Posted by: cadmiumgreen.8712

cadmiumgreen.8712

I think you are missing the point that the autobuild did actually work for some people. Apparently not for you, but life can be like that…

Because when you are designing an autobuild solution the most sensible way to deal with characters with no traits or skills is to select them for the player as opposed to just not giving it an automatically generated build?

Belzebu.3912

Please read the link I posted, it is written in details why they did it that way: https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/gw2/Things-we-know/first#post5199934