Posted by: DeWolfe.2174

DeWolfe.2174

Grrr….. forum bug!

[AwM] of Jade Quarry.

Thick leather price manipulation?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Wanze.8410

Wanze.8410

I know I’ll get barked at by the TP hounds but, JS should have had mechanisms in place to curtail high volume trading from launch. Just having a storage capacity limit on the TP would have been enough. Forcing a player to take physical ownership of items purchased would have limited high volume trading.

Whats wrong with high volume trading?

Tin Foil [HATS]-Hardcore BLTC-PvP Guild
Bloin – Running around, tagging Keeps, getting whack on Scoobie Snacks.

Posted by: TexZero.7910

TexZero.7910

I know I’ll get barked at by the TP hounds but, JS should have had mechanisms in place to curtail high volume trading from launch. Just having a storage capacity limit on the TP would have been enough. Forcing a player to take physical ownership of items purchased would have limited high volume trading.

I don’t know i thought you were playing a game, not some stock exchange simulator….

That’s what wrong with high volume trading in a nutshell.

Posted by: ZudetGambeous.9573

ZudetGambeous.9573

I don’t know i thought you were playing a game, not some stock exchange simulator….

I must be confused… the TP is not part of the game?

Maybe a high volume PvP game limiter too? Automatically logs you out and prevents you from playing another PvP match if you do too many in a row?

Or a HoT map limiter. Your health steadily decreases the longer you play PvE until you just die over and over and over. Only way to reset it is to log out for 6 hours?

Posted by: Milkshake.4038

Milkshake.4038

People would buy multiple accounts to avoid any limitation.

TexZero.7910

Maybe a high volume PvP game limiter too? Automatically logs you out and prevents you from playing another PvP match if you do too many in a row?

Or a HoT map limiter. Your health steadily decreases the longer you play PvE until you just die over and over and over. Only way to reset it is to log out for 6 hours?

I’m sorry i personally don’t consider playing the trading post as part of the game.

It’s a feature meant to facilitate the trades of goods. It’s not there for a select few people manipulate to the point the market destabilizes for normal consumption.

If you honestly find fun in the trading post and manipulating it, no one can stop you but honestly you may want to find another hobby.

Posted by: Ayrilana.1396

Ayrilana.1396

It’s very difficult to manipulate the TP in this game except for items with little to no supply sources (except for short term spikes). At that point you’re contending with how much people have been holding onto. The TP is very much a part of the game.

Wanze.8410

I’m sorry i personally don’t consider playing the trading post as part of the game.

It’s a feature meant to facilitate the trades of goods. It’s not there for a select few people manipulate to the point the market destabilizes for normal consumption.

If you honestly find fun in the trading post and manipulating it, no one can stop you but honestly you may want to find another hobby.

In this particular example, no market was destabilized, so i wonder why you would want limit it. All that happened is that plenty of people sold their leather for the price they asked a couple of weeks before normal consumption would have triggered their sale.

TexZero.7910

In this particular example, no market was destabilized, so i wonder why you would want limit it. All that happened is that plenty of people sold their leather for the price they asked a couple of weeks before normal consumption would have triggered their sale.

In this instance that did not happen. Point is it still can happen and that should never be the case.

Ayrilana.1396

In this instance that did not happen. Point is it still can happen and that should never be the case.

What could someone manipulate on the TP that would have long term effects affecting a large percentage of the playerbase?

Posted by: TPMN.1483

TPMN.1483

Why?

You’ll always lose – people will just create alt accounts. Problem doesn’t be solved.

[MYTH] The Mythical Dragons -PvX http://mythdragons.enjin.com

TexZero.7910

What could someone manipulate on the TP that would have long term effects affecting a large percentage of the playerbase?

Anything that is currently hindered by time-gating as a means of use or acquisition.

Thick Leather, could be one of those things if the entire supply had been purchased out.

I find it hard to believe you cannot understand this.

Ayrilana.1396

Anything that is currently hindered by time-gating as a means of use or acquisition.

Thick Leather, could be one of those things if the entire supply had been purchased out.

Note that I said long term and a large percentage of the playerbase. While someone can manipulate something like the molten jet pack, it wouldn’t affect enough players to be an issue. All of the timegated recipes won’t matter in the long run as players would just respond by crafting them and selling them on the TP.

You have mystic coins, but as stated in the other thread, there’s the supply that people have in their banks as well as those who simply choose to sell them as they receive them expecting prices to drop in the near future.

I could buy up all of the mystic coins to the point that the lowest sell order is 1G. People would likely be in an uproar about it. Those who have been stockpiling them would see an opportunity to make some profit and would sell their spare coins. Others who get the coins from the daily and daily login rewards will choose to sell their coins because they expect the price will fall in the near future. I may or may not break even as it depends on how quickly I can sell the coins back at the increased prices. Chances are that I won’t.

(edited by Ayrilana.1396)

Posted by: laokoko.7403

laokoko.7403

I never really like that too. But quite honestly if you don’t like farming or paying real cash, the TP is really the only other way you could afford expensive items in this game.

Just like where I live the average pay is 4$ an hour but a tiny apartment could cost 700,000$. It seemed I could only hope the stocks I bought turned out good. Because no one will be able to afford an apartment where I live with just average pay.

Posted by: Corp Por.1567

Corp Por.1567

I never really like that too. But quite honestly if you don’t like farming or paying real cash, the TP is really the only other way you could afford expensive items in this game.

Just like where I live the average pay is 4$ an hour but a tiny apartment could cost 700,000$. It seemed I could only hope the stocks I bought turned out good. Because no one will be able to afford an apartment where I live with just average pay.

Holy crap…where do you live that avg pay is $4 and apartments are 700k?

Posted by: laokoko.7403

laokoko.7403

Holy crap…where do you live that avg pay is $4 and apartments are 700k?

taipei, at least i don’t live in hongkong. I think the main problem is taiwan is a small island, and the infrastructure isn’t really well build besides the major city. Just like hongkong housing price is so expensive because people there really don’t have anywhere else to move out to.

(edited by laokoko.7403)

Posted by: Smooth Penguin.5294

Smooth Penguin.5294

Here’s where the problem is. In the grand scheme of things, your personal opinion doesn’t matter in this case. Anet considers the TP as much as part of this game as E-Sports PvP, Fractals, Living Story, and Raids.

The Trading Post is so dynamic, that it’s been proven next to impossible for any one person or group of people to effectively manipulate anything. So to correct your post, it did not happen, and will not happen.

I’m not sure you fully understand how the supply of certain items in this game works. If Thick Leather were to be completely bought out, there’d be a vacuum of competition, because I’d just unload my supply into the TP, thus making a huge profit. Others would be doing the same. Before Wanze, there was a player named Vol that was another expert in markets. I believe he said he had hundreds of thousands of Thick Leather in his pick up tab of the TP. Then you have your regular PvE player base who easily can get Thick Leather by salvaging drops. The massive influx of competition would stabilize the prices over time. The only people who would be hurt are the impatient ones who would be willing to pay top dollar on panic buying.

In GW2, Trading Post plays you!

Posted by: Bomber.3872

Bomber.3872

I’m sorry i personally don’t consider playing vs player, killing some pixelmobs or wasting my life grinding raids as part of the game.

If you honestly find fun wasting hours watching a pixel move and die, no one can stop you but honestly you may want to find another hobby.

;) Gw2 and especially the trading post is an awesome economy simulation! Every other simulator out there has serious issues, mostly based on a bad AI or not really much choices for the player.
Gw2 is way better in every aspect! In gw2 you can have real fun:
- find new interesting market manipulations and try to beat your competitors
- your economy class has been boring? Here you can try everything you learned on a closely real market!
- ever wanted to be an awesome monopolist? Gw2 offers thousands of items with wich you can realize your wishes. Rise your prices and watch your loseing competitors cry!
- you want to be the biggest capitalist? Don’t care about the envoirement! Don’t care about social interactions! Create your army of slaves today which will be happy to sell you goods for buy orders that low you can’t even imagine!
- Still not sure you wanna play the greatest economy game out there called gw2? Well it’s your time now, geht your friends addicted by buying expensive markets and sell it as the only source to your friends today! (Of course with a 1000% margin)

That said, playing gw2 = playing TP = way more fun than anything else!!!

IGN: Euer Verderben
[RUC] Riverside United Corps! For Riverside!

Posted by: TPMN.1483

TPMN.1483

I think the above person misunderstands manipulation.
If you are buying something for a lower price and selling it for a higher price – you are helping set its market equilibrium- the thing could have been undervalued,

It’s as simple as that.

[MYTH] The Mythical Dragons -PvX http://mythdragons.enjin.com

Posted by: General Health.9678

General Health.9678

The Trading Post is so dynamic, that it’s been proven next to impossible for any one person or group of people to effectively manipulate anything.

I’ve seen this said in every game I’ve ever played and then someone reveals that actually they were part of a cartel doing just this thing and that they’ve accumulated enough money to be able to buy the whole auction house.

Next to impossible is meaningless.
Proving something to be next to impossible is therefore even less meaningful.

Blame Abaddon, he loves your tears.
pve, raid, pvp, fractal, dungeon, world clearing, legendary questing.. Zapped!

Posted by: ZudetGambeous.9573

ZudetGambeous.9573

The Trading Post is so dynamic, that it’s been proven next to impossible for any one person or group of people to effectively manipulate anything.

I’ve seen this said in every game I’ve ever played and then someone reveals that actually they were part of a cartel doing just this thing and that they’ve accumulated enough money to be able to buy the whole auction house.

The only other game that I have heard of that has a global economy is EvE, and playing that economy is like 50% of the actual expected game.

It’d be interesting to compare to other games with global free market economies, but GW2 and EvE are the only 2 I know.

Posted by: Obtena.7952

Obtena.7952

That has yet to happen in GW2. In addition, we know Anet adjusts to ensure for a balanced economy. You guys want change for change’s sake.

Wanze.8410

good thing then that gw2 doesnt have an auction house

Posted by: General Health.9678

General Health.9678

AH/TP – same difference to me, the mechanics may be different but the end result is the same, there is a cartel and it is wealthy enough to buy everything as it has been playing the economic mini-game whilst everyone else was playing the actual game.

I am being devils advocate here, I myself don’t believe the market is a separatable mini-game or that you are hurting any other part of the game with trading activity.

Blame Abaddon, he loves your tears.
pve, raid, pvp, fractal, dungeon, world clearing, legendary questing.. Zapped!

Posted by: Bomber.3872

Bomber.3872

AH/TP – same difference to me, the mechanics may be different but the end result is the same, there is a cartel and it is wealthy enough to buy everything as it has been playing the economic mini-game whilst everyone else was playing the actual game.

I am being devils advocate here, I myself don’t believe the market is a separatable mini-game or that you are hurting any other part of the game with trading activity.

Sry, but again: the tp IS gw2. It has exactly the same importance, same value, same fun factor, same reasons to exist in gw2 as any other mode.

I find these differences really strange. It’s like saying pvp stronghold is no pvp or wvw borderlands are no wvw or HoT maps are no pve. It is totally legitimate to use the trading post with all possibilitys it gives to us to any extend each player whises.

If someone doesn’t like the tp, don’t use it! But don’t cry that you have to grind extremely much in that case, it’s your choice!

IGN: Euer Verderben
[RUC] Riverside United Corps! For Riverside!

Wanze.8410

All the supply listed on the tp is for sale, thats why players put it up there. So if someone doesnt want to sell something, he shouldnt list it on the tp. These cartels cant buy whatever exists outside the tp. All you are advocating is that you dont want some players to buy stuff from other players. It doesnt influence your game experience in any way, wether 10k individual players buy 1 million, 100 each, of an item from the tp or a single player.

Posted by: TheGrimm.5624

TheGrimm.5624

If each server was a separate TP then this might be a different story. Same thing if this was an AH versus TP. And the TP is a mini-game inside the larger game. But it is one that is voluntary. There are no goods that are exclusive to the TP.

Its also the thing to me that continues to devalue goods in the game since people in the mid to long term can effectively out farm people buying and selling goods. People can choose to never buy outright and instead place offers for what they are willing to pay for an item. Its also one of the reasons that for a majority that crafting yields less profit then what they might expect from other games. People will choose to put buy orders out there for crafted goods that are way below the actual cost to sell the raw materials in most cases.

Its the player base that may be impatient and be in a ‘I want it now!’ mindset that costs them coin. If someone was to buy every unit of a farmable good (luxury items aside), then that’s going to drive the farming zergs to a new location to fill the vacuum. Even for the rarer items it drives people searching for them, take the invisible shoes and treasure mushroom as an example. But even still you have people that will drive the value down by placing orders for 3 cooper for an item that there is 0 supply of. If no items in the game has any value even depending its rarity, you will lose most players since loot is the drug of most MMOs players. Oh shinny!

I get that MMOs are time-sinks, but that still doesn’t mean that if a player chooses to buy outright that item versus place buy orders or go gather it themselves that there shouldn’t be a price involved. The players that did play the game and gather the materials should also not have their time devalued by getting nothing back when they try and sell what they collected just because another player decided they just want to buy it.

Hence the whole buy versus sell bit trying to find the real value in this digital commodity. Which is also what makes it a mini-game for some players.

Good hunting!

GW/PoTBS/WAR/Rift/WAR/GW2/CU

De Mortuis Nil Nisi Bonum.