Thieves: What reason not to be warrior?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Azure Prower.8701

Azure Prower.8701

More armor.
More survivability.
More maneuverable.
More damage.

Getting two shot’d by a warrior whilst they’re in god mode; standing in a blind field no less. Holy kittens! Over 15k damage in LESS than a second.

At least with back stab you have to be stealthed and behind the target to do this kind of damage.

Attachments:

(edited by Azure Prower.8701)

Posted by: Travis the Terrible.4739

Travis the Terrible.4739

You were hit by a crit on eviscerate by a warrior who had around 10 might stacks, soldiers armor and zerk weps and trinkets.

Cool story.

Follow the darkness into the depths, it’s more fun than the light can provide.

Posted by: Peetee.9406

Peetee.9406

Ele’s been getting 1 shot by thieves for a year now.

Where’s the outrage for that?

Kayku
[CDS] Caedas
Sanctum of Rall

Posted by: Ren.5842

Ren.5842

Can’t comment on pvp but for pve, warrior gets boring really quickly. Main is currently ele, main alt is thief – both much more fun to play

Leader of Varshen, a BDO Guild
www.varshen.com

Posted by: hihey.1075

hihey.1075

I see your problem: no stunbreaker.

Pillow Cake
Worst Thief EU
One Handed One vs One Videos

Posted by: Reikou.7068

Reikou.7068

More armor.
More survivability.
More maneuverable.
More damage.

Getting two shot’d by a warrior whilst they’re in god mode; standing in a blind field no less. Holy kittens!

At least with back stab you have to be stealthed and behind the target to do this kind of damage.

LOL At that build OP.

This is a player skill issue. Not an issue with thief.

Reikou/Reira/Iroha/Sengiku/Rinoka/Kuruse/Sakuho/Kinae/Yuzusa/Kikurin/Otoha/Hasue/Mioko
https://www.youtube.com/AilesDeLumiere
http://www.twitch.tv/ailesdelumiere

Posted by: Zygil.1276

Zygil.1276

This.

Just another thief who allowed themselves to be a free kill. Lets move along folks.

Azure Prower.8701

The issue is the damage here. Not the stun.

The damage was instant. Leaving no reaction time to even use a stun breaker.

Posted by: Harper.4173

Harper.4173

Beacuse:

Better spike damage
Stealth
More evades
Easier kills on soft targets

Need I go on ?

Also – stunbreakers are your friends.

If here they fall they shall live on when ever you cry “For Ascalon!”

Posted by: phirefox.2568

phirefox.2568

Well, thieves are kind of mean as well, escpecially if they are the “stay-in-stealth-for-90%-of-the-time-and-press-#1—repeatedly-until-you-hit-something” sort of thieves For example, whenever i encounter some */Dagger Thief for on my Mesmer, i practically heave to rely on my opponent messing up, because they continuesly get free shots at me (my thief was my mainchar for months, so i got a feel for whenever a backstab is coming, but that doesn’t help for longer timespans since they can repeat the process that easily). If i somehow get to punish a thief for spamming #1 in stealth (through DE, which will be nerfed to prevent this -_-), he only has to survive any Burst for 4 seconds until he can easily stealth up again – and even as a glass thief, two dodges are more than enough for that.

Still, i very much agree with you there. Thieves are squishy at least when they trait for so much damage, which means that they can be easily killed if you hit them. But Warriors? The damage is incredible, and a full zerker Warriors still has the (non-stealth-)survivability that other classes get through mixed gear (i always have to grin if i get told by Warriors how squishy they are as zerkers…), just that it still does more damage than the latter. Even if you wear a mix of Soldier, Zerker and Kavalier as a Warrior, you will still do Damage comparable to other classes -even if they are equipped almost exclusively offensive -, all while having >21k HP and >3k armor.

I see you were hit by an Axe/Shield Warror. Let me tell you what an encounter with such a warrior means, if both are full zerkers (one being the warrior, the other being a light armor zerker): The damage by one chain of his axe-AA alone can already quite easily grow over 20k, and it doesn’t take him longer than 3½ Seconds of pressing #1 do this. The only Attack that comes near this DPS-Wise (looking at a greater timespan) would be the thieves backstab, which is considered a burst skill. And mind you, Eviscerate does 125% of a backstabs damage when executed under the same conditions, so your thief would be a onehit most of the time.
Also (regarding the autoattack) it’s important to keep in mind that the first 2 seconds of it’s chain (chop+full double chop) could already kill low-hp classes if it is a zerker-vs-zerker situation; this doesn’t work the other way around

I will leave this Screenshot here – the battlelog isn’t english, but i marked the Warriors attacks (should you not believe me, just type the highlighted attack-names in google translate or something). This screenshot is a bit older (no damage changes to axe since then, though), and the Situation was the following:
- Hostile Warrior, Elementalist, Thief
- Warrior had Swiftness, 3 Stacks Might and Fury
- I was playing a full Zerker-nonPU Mesmer
- the Warrior was the only one hitting me before i got downed

Attachments:

Posted by: Zoid.2568

Zoid.2568

A warrior who did his ultimate move in a build made for ultimate damage. Cmon. Dodge it, interrupt him or use blindness? or even go stealth.

Posted by: Fenrir.3609

Fenrir.3609

Was this thread meant to parody the recent glut of “nerf warriorz” threads we are seeing of late OP?

(edited by Fenrir.3609)

Posted by: havoc.6814

havoc.6814

You were hit at the same time by Lightning Strike, Static Shot and Fire Something. Therefore it wasn’t only a warrior but at least a Warrior, Elementalist, and an Engineer.
Considering the way you scrolled your chat window up, I assume there were a lot more. You were probably up in the middle of a zerg. Try harder next time.

Azure Prower.8701

You were hit at the same time by Lightning Strike, Static Shot and Fire Something. Therefore it wasn’t only a warrior but at least a Warrior, Elementalist, and an Engineer.
Considering the way you scrolled your chat window up, I assume there were a lot more. You were probably up in the middle of a zerg. Try harder next time.

Actually. Hardly. It was just a roaming Warrior and Engineer. Whilst dodging the Engi’s grenade spam.

The lightning strike you see on the combat log is me hitting the warrior the moment he popped his endure pain before he took out my entire health pool in less than a second.

My health pool is less than 15k (not a glass thief). The warrior did 3.1k, 10.5k and 1.8k. You do the maths. Again. Over 15k damage done in less than a second.

To top it all off. Eviscerate is auto seeking.

Travis the Terrible.4739

Actually. Hardly. It was just a roaming Warrior and Engineer. Whilst dodging the Engi’s grenade spam.

The lightning strike you see on the combat log is me hitting the warrior the moment he popped his endure pain before he took out my entire health pool in less than a second.

My health pool is less than 15k (not a glass thief). The warrior did 3.1k, 10.5k and 1.8k. You do the maths. Again. Over 15k damage done in less than a second.

So you’re crying about warriors? The first problem here is you got wrecked by a warrior with axe/shield from the looks of it and you ate 2 skills that have very obvious animations from the warrior. I’m going to assume you wasted both your dodges on the engie nades?

Shield bash is 1/2 a second activation. Eviscerate 3/4 activation. Chop 1/4, double chop 1/2. That sir is by my count 2 seconds. Game working as intended carry a stun breaker or don’t waste your dodges on meaningless nades.

Also dagger/pistol with thieves guild? No stunbreaker? The hell am I looking at it?

(edited by Travis the Terrible.4739)

havoc.6814

In your OP, you claimed you were two-shotted by a warrior. This was untrue. I see at least six attacks hitting you and others are definately hidden above or below the visible chat window area. Furthermore, it obviously wasn’t only a warrior as you initial claimed and are now admitting to after I called you out on it. You now claim it was only a warrior and an engineer, but how can we just believe that when you are changing the story? Eviscerate is not auto seeking – it is actually quite hard to land, which is why the warrior shield bashed you first. You really need to stop distorting the truth.

Azure Prower.8701

In your OP, you claimed you were two-shotted by a warrior. This was untrue. I see at least six attacks hitting you and others are definately hidden above or below the visible chat window area. Furthermore, it obviously wasn’t only a warrior as you initial claimed and are now admitting to after I called you out on it. You now claim it was only a warrior and an engineer, but how can we just believe that when you are changing the story? Eviscerate is not auto seeking – it is actually quite hard to land, which is why the warrior shield bashed you first. You really need to stop distorting the truth.

1. Never said there was only a warrior around. Only that the warrior did the damage that was noteworthy. You can read the combat log for yourself. What point is there to show more of it when it’s easily done more than my thief’s health pool?

2. Eviscerate was used in conjunction with a super fast auto attack. Sure it may not be two hit. But it visually looked like two hit before I further studied the combat log.

You’re just arguing semantics.

So you’re crying about warriors? The first problem here is you got wrecked by a warrior with axe/shield from the looks of it and you ate 2 skills that have very obvious animations from the warrior. I’m going to assume you wasted both your dodges on the engie nades?

Shield bash is 1/2 a second activation. Eviscerate 3/4 activation. Chop 1/4, double chop 1/2. That sir is by my count over 2 seconds. Game working as intended carry a stun breaker or don’t waste your dodges on meaningless nades.

From the time shield bash hits to the time chop lands is less than a second. Probably faster if the warrior was using frenzy. That’s less than a second to even hit the stun breaker key. Pointless argument to argue.

Double chop isn’t counted because by that time my thief would be in down state.

Azure Prower.8701

Also yes. Eviscerate is auto seeking.

http://youtu.be/cPbG1TCNxVY?t=1m31s

havoc.6814

You’re just arguing semantics.

The difference between only a warrior and multiple characters/professions is not just semantic.

The difference between 2 hits and 6 is not semantic.

You got shield bashed then eviscerated. I, for one, have no problem dodging shield bash, and without that stun, the warrior will never land eviscerate on me. A warrior approaches you with an axe and shield, you should be ready for this, it’s very obvious what he wants, and eviscerate is really hard to land in any form of pvp against an opponent who knows what he is doing. That is the real problem here – you didn’t know what you were doing. Now hopefully, you have learned this little trick and can avoid it in the future. Move on.

Travis the Terrible.4739

From the time shield bash hits to the time chop lands is less than a second. Probably faster if the warrior was using frenzy. That’s less than a second to even hit the stun breaker key. Pointless argument to argue.

Double chop isn’t counted because by that time my thief would be in down state.

You’re telling me you have the reflexes of a grandma then? You didn’t think to use shadow refuge and stealth to run away when you saw 2 people? If you can’t activate a stun breaker with a second window of time and dodge then I’d tell you to go to PvE but then again you’d never end up in my groups anyway cause I don’t pug thieves 99% of the time.

Azure Prower.8701

You’re telling me you have the reflexes of a grandma then?

Or perhaps I play from an oceanic area. Giving me even less time to respond due to ping.

I’d tell you to go to PvE but then again you’d never end up in my groups anyway cause I don’t pug thieves 99% of the time.

Great! Furthering my point on why play a thief?

You kind of ruined argument with that answer there. Some how 3 equals 6 now. Any thing else you’d like to distort from the clearly shown combat log?

Going over both of your posting history. It’s clear you both play warriors as mains. Must be nice not having to worry about downsides.

Posted by: Doggie.3184

Doggie.3184

Especially in Spvp. There’s 0 reason to play Thief over Warrior, let alone any other class.

| Fort Aspenwood (NA): Sylvari Daredevil Thief Main: All Classes 80. |
Please Remove/Fix Thief Trait: “Last Refuge.”
“Hard to Catch” is a Horrible and Useless Trait. Fixed 6/23/15. Praise Dwayna.

Posted by: SpellOfIniquity.1780

SpellOfIniquity.1780

Thief, Warrior… All you need is a Mesmer and you’ve got a whole bucket of faceroll keyboard to win.

Necromancer, Ranger, Warrior, Engineer
Champion: Phantom, Hunter, Legionnaire, Genius
WvW rank: Diamond Colonel | Maguuma

havoc.6814

You kind of ruined argument with that answer there. Some how 3 equals 6 now. Any thing else you’d like to distort from the clearly shown combat log?

Really? Let’s look at that screenshot again then. I see you being hit by Static Shot, Shield Bash, Eviscerate, Chop, Double Chop, and Fire Something (The log window cuts off the full skill name and damage). That is six skills, not three. Can you count? Go ahead, try it… use a calculator if you need to. I am clearly not distorting the truth, and you are just as clearly being absolutely untruthful. Who do you think you are fooling? We can all count.

Going over both of your posting history. It’s clear you both play warriors as mains. Must be nice not having to worry about downsides.

Yes, I play warrior as a main. No downsides? You’re right – I run that 30/30/30/30/30/30 build while equipping two armour sets (So I can get runes of Melandru and Lyssa) and five weapons all at the same time. I also use Endure Pain, Berzerker Stance, Dolyak Signet, Signet of Stamina, and Balanced Stance all at the same time on my three utility slots. A lot of people have complained about my inherent OP’ness with this setup, but I’m sure that’s just a learn to play issue on everybody’s part.

Posted by: Auesis.7301

Auesis.7301

Eviscerate isn’t instant, what you are talking about? Even if Shield Bash somehow lands I’m still able to Shadowstep away in time to avoid the obvious follow-up.

I don’t care if you’re Oceanic. If that’s the excuse, why should the game be re-balanced to purely accommodate people who are lagging way out of normal proportions when it’s perfectly fine to everyone else, thus changing the skills to uselessness for those normal circumstances?

Gnome Child [Gc]
Resident Thief

Posted by: laokoko.7403

laokoko.7403

I don’t even know warrior are better than rogue in wvw/pvp now.

Things must change so much.

Posted by: theory.3580

theory.3580

Eviscerate has a pretty long windup animation. You failed to stunbreak and dodge during that time. Take responsibility for your own play, don’t look for excuses immediately.

Paldirac / Frajad @ Gates of Madness
Primacy @ Zuluhed (WoW, retired resto shaman)
Theory @ Azphel (Aion, retired control spiritmaster)

Posted by: kiwituatara.6053

kiwituatara.6053

Forum qq about getting 1 shotted are usually about thieves. Oh how the tables have turned

Posted by: Viking Jorun.5413

Viking Jorun.5413

It’s because you’re a cheesespam D/P permastealth thief. Try some no-stealth and be a man:

http://en.gw2skills.net/editor/?fYAQNAsaVlYmSO3dS6E/5Eh3jyOWzqVgmdP4q81KA-j0DBYfREREgaAiWGgQAM5pIaslhFRjVNDRVLoqkYaXQ6XwmeQ2eAGfLrWKAsFGB-w

Posted by: Fenrir.3609

Fenrir.3609

Eviscerate has a pretty long windup animation. You failed to stunbreak and dodge during that time. Take responsibility for your own play, don’t look for excuses immediately.

Posted by: Brutal Arts.6307

Brutal Arts.6307

You got rekt. It’s a player skill issue.

You have gotten what you paid for, all that remains is biweekly gemshop pushing.

Posted by: Godmoney.2048

Godmoney.2048

This^

No Shadow step huh? No Food or oil huh?

I’m not sure how any player can think that a stun breaker isn’t necessary for any type of pvp content.

Posted by: clint.5681

clint.5681

You fight atleast 3 people at once but complain about the warrior hitting you with an highly telegraphed attack.

Just take this L OP you deserve it.

Rangir Dangir – Ranger | Mr. Ragr- Guardian| Sneak Stab – Thief | Mr. Ragir- Warrior
[url=https://] [/url]

Posted by: Ralron.8124

Ralron.8124

My zerk Necro eats little warriors for breakfast!

an other reason not to be a lame kitten warrior!

Posted by: Reikou.7068

Reikou.7068

just going to reiterate that this is a player skill issue.

Shield Bash has 1/2s cast time. More than enough time to dodge.

Eviscerate has 3/4s cast time, more than enough time to stunbreak or dodge. If you do not have the reaction time to stunbreak in 3/4s, then you should probably go to much more slower paced games.

Reikou/Reira/Iroha/Sengiku/Rinoka/Kuruse/Sakuho/Kinae/Yuzusa/Kikurin/Otoha/Hasue/Mioko
https://www.youtube.com/AilesDeLumiere
http://www.twitch.tv/ailesdelumiere

Azure Prower.8701

It’s because you’re a cheesespam D/P permastealth thief. Try some no-stealth and be a man:

http://en.gw2skills.net/editor/?fYAQNAsaVlYmSO3dS6E/5Eh3jyOWzqVgmdP4q81KA-j0DBYfREREgaAiWGgQAM5pIaslhFRjVNDRVLoqkYaXQ6XwmeQ2eAGfLrWKAsFGB-w

Actually I had a no stealth build before the nerfs of the last balance patch. The nerfs have funneled my thief into stealth.

Also that is a pretty bad build you have there.

Still people are missing the point. Not any thing to do with player skill.

What is the advantage to playing a thief over a warrior now?

I’m already using my warrior for no brainer dungeon runs.

Posted by: Viking Jorun.5413

Viking Jorun.5413

Actually I had a no stealth build before the nerfs of the last balance patch. The nerfs have funneled my thief into stealth.

Also that is a pretty bad build you have there.

Still people are missing the point. Not any thing to do with player skill.

What is the advantage to playing a thief over a warrior now?

I’m already using my warrior for no brainer dungeon runs.

Hah! Good one there, bud.

Posted by: fellyn.5083

fellyn.5083

The damage is not instant. You took a shield bash, an eviscerate, and almost a full axe auto attack combo. That’s the better part of 5 seconds. Plenty of time to pop a stun breaker and disappear.

(edited by fellyn.5083)

Posted by: Harper.4173

Harper.4173

The damage is not instant. You took a shield bash, an eviscerate, and almost a full axe auto attack combo. That’s the better part of 5 seconds. Plenty of time to pop a stun breaker and disappear.

It is always easier to just spam the forums with clutter instead of bringing a stunbreaker.

If here they fall they shall live on when ever you cry “For Ascalon!”

Posted by: frans.8092

frans.8092

Yes, I play warrior as a main. No downsides? You’re right – I run that 30/30/30/30/30/30 build while equipping two armour sets

Ah, perhaps you have been a thief at some time, since they to run those kinds of builds. Welcome to the club.

Posted by: Charak.9761

Charak.9761

Well thieves were never good, I can even beat them without armor on, (as seen in my video in signature)

Posted by: thaooo.5320

thaooo.5320

You got hit by eviscerate??? HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Pro tip: You thought you were safe because of OP blind spams by your thief. In future, watch the warriors status bar, a smart warrior will carry berserker’s stance just to spike an unsuspecting noob thief who takes solace in his blind fields. It is one of the most reliable tactics for fighting a thief, they all think their blind makes them gods.

Ps you should be using withdraw not ‘hide in shadows’.

More armor. Yep
More survivability. Nope
More maneuverable. Nope
More damage. Complete nonsense. All classes are capable of doing massive damage.

Complaining about damage? You’re playing a thief, just not very well.

ALL IS VAIN.
PvP modes are the “endgame” in all MMOs.
Stop failing at PvE, and fix WvW/SPvP. Thank you.

Posted by: Raine.1394

Raine.1394

When going against warriors OR thieves, especially, the key is not to participate in the opener. And, any Eviscerate is a bad Eviscerate. Get out of the CC and get out of the way. Nobody’s OP here, just different classes with different tactics.