Things You Love About GW2

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Arnox.5128

Arnox.5128

I think we get enough negative here. Let’s post everything that we love about this game. Bonus points if other MMOs don’t have it.

For me:
1. No sub fee.
2. Dodging.
3. Incredible GFX and aesthetic.
4. Interesting classes. (Hard to quantify. They all just seem pretty fleshed out in terms of their individual concepts.)
5. Trading Post.
6. Gold to gems.
7. Guild Halls

ArenaNet, please give us more skills!

Posted by: IndigoSundown.5419

IndigoSundown.5419

I’ll say, “Yes!” to #’s 1, 2, 3, 5, and 6.

I’ll add:

8. Lore minutiae nods to the original GW.
9. The node and drop systems being non-exclusionary.
10. Gliding.
11. The sheer fluidity of character movement, especially in combat. In other MMO’s I’ve played, character movement seems more jerky, and thus less realistic.

Posted by: qfqf.8647

qfqf.8647

This zone/megaserver thing is good.

Im leveling my first character and having a nice time killing world bosses with tons of players at low level areas. It’s nice to see low level maps (early game zones) still crowded and a lot of mid-level maps still being used. This is what I hated most about WoW, you go to previous expansion maps and its all empty, not even the NPCs are there. Just empty maps and I mean a lot of maps with barely 5 players. At least GW2 world feels alive, there are always people around u grouping for events in any map you’re in.

Posted by: Rauderi.8706

Rauderi.8706

12. The unprecedented level of convenience.

Deposit all materials and a huge materials bank.
Easy to get together and bring friends into instances (looking at you FF14…)
Waypoints

13. (Part of 12 but..) Robust Wardrobe system.
When I look at WoW’s transmog system (each color has its own skin) or FF14’s glamour (omg so much pain), I love how simple it is to dive into the wardrobe, anytime, anywhere.

14. The Trading Post
Its actual design as a method of buying and selling is so, f’ing, fantastic. It elegantly solves so many problems and is so far beyond traditional auction houses.

Many alts; handle it!
“I’m finding companies should sell access to forums,
it seems many like them better than the games they comment on.” -Horrorscope.7632

Posted by: Donari.5237

Donari.5237

That we can have multiple praise threads! https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/gw2/I-really-LOVE-this-about-GW2

I agree with most all the “loves” you guys have above, too. I’ll add in the very robust dye system. So many colors and hues, so many ways to use them, forever free once you acquire them, and having them go account wide was pure bliss.

Posted by: Randulf.7614

Randulf.7614

Being able to farm a node regardless of your crafting profession…and nodes not being exclusive.

Being able to explore and fight underwater. Regardless as to whether it is a sadly neglected part of the game, I still love it.

Posted by: Traced.3495

Traced.3495

Character creation!
I love the different playable races and particularly sylvari, they are so beautiful.

let the sky fall

Posted by: HnRkLnXqZ.1870

HnRkLnXqZ.1870

The mapping, design and attention to detail in everything.
The entertaining npc dialogues.
The countless secrets and mysteries.
The community is still the most friendly and helpful I have met so far.
The drop, loot, combat and environmental mechanics, including the gliding and the new tides-mechanic. Please make more maps with this.
The JPs, minidungeons and other random chests scattered over the world.
The guildhalls and the ability to decorate them and create own JPs.
The mastery system.
The countless Indiana Jones references. There are also tons of references from other games and movies. I think it is impossible to find all, but I am trying.
The soundtrack.
The great connection to the events of GW1, which still allows players who have not played it to come to GW2 and have a good time and understand the story.
The dynamic events, which still enchant me like playing the first day.
And ofcourse the character-editor, wardrobe and dye system - which eat a great load of time *_*.

dulfy-effect: Knowledge is power. But without fame, you are just a freak.

Posted by: Penguin.1345

Penguin.1345

The sound design. For some reason i just find the sound design of GW2 to be really immersive with constant ambience and non-over-the-top music playing all the time. Creature sounds really help make them seem menacing and annoying (looking at you chak)

Edit:
What i really mean is that going back to other MMOs i just begin to notice missing sounds be it creature grunts, footsteps and similar. Everything in GW2 just sounds “right”

(edited by Penguin.1345)

Posted by: Leo G.4501

Leo G.4501

This zone/megaserver thing is good.

Im leveling my first character and having a nice time killing world bosses with tons of players at low level areas. It’s nice to see low level maps (early game zones) still crowded and a lot of mid-level maps still being used. This is what I hated most about WoW, you go to previous expansion maps and its all empty, not even the NPCs are there. Just empty maps and I mean a lot of maps with barely 5 players. At least GW2 world feels alive, there are always people around u grouping for events in any map you’re in.

I’d attribute that to an often overlooked feature: dynamic level scaling. Most don’t think about it because once you surpass the actual zone level, trash mobs are literally trash but vets and elites will still be speed bumps at best so that everyone can participate. Even if I’m on a build that demolishes everything non-champ in a low level zone, I tend to hold back when there are more players present if only to make things interesting.

Such a strategy isn’t really possible in most other games without dynamic level scaling and yet you can still feel powerful as kitten in those old zones.

Posted by: Ragnarox.9601

Ragnarox.9601

99. Fashion Wars.

Posted by: Ben K.6238

Ben K.6238

Relatively deep lore base.
Fluid combat system.
Diverse PvE gameplay (hopefully we’ll get that for WvW and PvP one day).
Lots of customization options for characters.
Charr.
Excellent art direction.

Posted by: Narrrz.7532

Narrrz.7532

The community.

Even in the relatively ‘toxic’ PvP area, when the new HotM came out with the arena, i wandered in there on my thief just to check how it all worked. I wasn’t attacking anybody, and noone jumped me.

If this was wow you can bet there would be a group of people camping the spawn portal to murder anyone who set foot in there.

People in this game just generally seem to derive much less pleasure from spoiling other peoples’ fun.

Posted by: Evon Skyfyre.9673

Evon Skyfyre.9673

The community aspect of the game, helping random players, it really feels like being in another world. The only limits are our imagination. I really don’t like logging off, but well need to eat, sleep lol

Oh the best cure for a bad day, watch Asurans running around, fighting, exploring. I seem to attract them, I put my comm tag up when farming ore etc (to mark rich locations, etc.. when I mention it in mapchat), and I soon have a follower or two. Usually one is an Asuran. In Orr one found me and guarded me by circling me. Picture this, a Norn being guarded by an Asuran that is almost up to my knee. Love this game

One suggestion, grass seed, Orr, nuff said.

(edited by Evon Skyfyre.9673)

Posted by: Goettel.4389

Goettel.4389

In random order:

The combat
Events
Soundtrack
No level cap increases
Level scaling
No sub
Asura poppin’ o~o

Send an Asura who knows math. Problem solved.

Posted by: Keadron.9570

Keadron.9570

The combat
No sub
Asura
ELE! (Outside of pvp)

Posted by: SeranusGaming.7362

SeranusGaming.7362

• Skill based, not gear based like almost every other MMO.
  • Soundtrack is amazing!
  • Great voice acting.
Kara “Tiptoes” Sheridan (Ranger)
Tarnished Coast Roleplayers [TCRP]
“Now I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds.”

Posted by: Silvatar.5379

Silvatar.5379

- Anet sense of humour
- Play to win, not pay to win
- Beautiful design
- HoT maps (maps so intricate that its actually possible to get lost….love it!)
- Past April Fool’s Day pranks (wish they would bring that back but to many gamers apparently have no sense of humour judging from all the rage the jokes invoked)
- All the hidden places that are there for the dedicated explorer to discover
- Different game modes so there is something for everyone
- All classes are are playable for any PvE content so a player can use whatever they enjoy most
- There is always something to do
- Minimal power creep
- Not having to farm/grind/spend massive amounts of real life money to achieve top tier gear like in most other MMOs thus freeing players to focus on simply enjoying the content
- Since most things are available through the TP, players are free to do whatever they enjoy doing to make money and just buy whatever they need. This greatly (if not completely) eliminates the need to farm or grind like in other MMOs
- And most importantly, Quaggans

(edited by Silvatar.5379)

Posted by: Flatley.1620

Flatley.1620

I love it as it caters to my Filthy Casual playstyle

i75820K@4.4ghz Noctua NHU14S GTX980TiSC
SoundblasterZ AsusX99Pro 512GBM2SSD 1TBSSD
3TBHDD 16gbRAM Corsair900D Win10Pro Corsair rmi1000w ethernet 100 down, 6 up

SeranusGaming.7362

This is the reason that I originally bought the game. I figured that any company that would such effort into an amazing song like “Fear Not This Night” must have something truly impressive.

Posted by: Khailyn.6248

Khailyn.6248

No sub, beautiful animation, no competition for resources, no gear treadmill, skill combos, level scaling (all in no particular order).

‘Death smiles at us all. All a man can do is smile back.’

Posted by: Arnox.5128

Arnox.5128

People in this game just generally seem to derive much less pleasure from spoiling other peoples’ fun.

I wrote something up on this actually.

… Even its very community, it mutates. Everyone who sticks with the game, despite it’s alien feel, is changed. Where former MMOs fostered a community of distrust and competition, GW2 encourages its players to work together and changes them in the process. In almost every way, GW2 takes the standard, the tried and true, and mutates and turns it into it’s own thing. And it makes it incredibly attractive while doing so. And that is the core, the heart, of GW2 and even most of GW.

ArenaNet, please give us more skills!

Posted by: azureai.9764

azureai.9764

As others have stated: The good design in the PvE game that leads it to have a positive community focus. Players are rewarded for helping other players by doing things like ressing. No one is competing for nodes. There are multiple systems in place that not only encourage players to be kind to each other, but REWARD them for being so. I love the atmosphere of the game, and it stems from thoughtful, wonderful design.

Also, CHARR. Man, the lore in this game is so engaging. Great worldbuilding.

SeranusGaming.7362

… Even its very community, it mutates. Everyone who sticks with the game, despite it’s alien feel, is changed. Where former MMOs fostered a community of distrust and competition, GW2 encourages its players to work together and changes them in the process. In almost every way, GW2 takes the standard, the tried and true, and mutates and turns it into it’s own thing. And it makes it incredibly attractive while doing so. And that is the core, the heart, of GW2 and even most of GW.

Very well said my good sir. This is exactly how I feel in GW2 which is completely unlike any other MMO. Here, people are so much more willing to provide help and assistance. When playing this game, it never feels like a chore or I’m “forced” to do something just to keep up with everyone else.

Posted by: Lazzoman.8173

Lazzoman.8173

- The music
- The flow of the game
- The community
- The art and the graphics
- The variety of things to do.
- The added content (expecially Gliding)
More…

It’s easier to list the things I don’t like