Thinking of returning, how is the population?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: TsukasaHiiragi.9730

TsukasaHiiragi.9730

Population is falling on alot of servers, Emhry Bay doesn’t hasn’t even had access to the overflow server in LA for the past few days.

protest this travesty of a patch -
Get it taken down -
Do whatever it takes if you care about this game -

Posted by: Argotto.7835

Argotto.7835

If you still have the game installed by chance, then log on and check for yourself.

However, couple of my cousins and myself play very rarely if at all anymore due to how few people there were anywhere in the world. Sure you can see people in lion’s arch, perhaps looking for the 1 dungeon anyone cares about anymore.. aside from that, I find it VERY surprising anyone here could possibly believe the population hasn’t drastically decreased in the past 2 months.

As I said, take a look for yourself, but compared to 4 weeks from launch, the game is practically dead.

Posted by: Psikerlord.2569

Psikerlord.2569

sPVP and tPVP pop is still in decline, far as i can tell.

Posted by: Medazolam.3058

Medazolam.3058

I play on the lower pop server and even we had three temples open at the same time in Orr during the day, non-prime time hours. Also seeing lots and lots of new people, but I think we get most of them due to not being ‘full’

Posted by: Tulinor.6745

Tulinor.6745

Definitely dropping. The fractal drop was significant. Had 20 really active people in the guild and they were a guild before the game and I happened to find them. Fractals hit and several left because of it then the others wanted people to play with so they went to other games with friends in them.

As long as ANET fixes guesting soon so that you can group up across servers for fractals without an overflow you can do anything in game in only a few minutes so it is not dead by any means. It is just not as easy as it should be.

Posted by: Felblade.8701

Felblade.8701

I still cannot understand why people who say they are finished with this game are still active on this forum. Is that to warn people off from playing a bad game?

Forums are more entertaining and interesting than the current state of the game, and they seem to be more active than the population actually playing the game. That is what happens when a game is dying.

Posted by: nofo.8469

nofo.8469

If you still have the game installed by chance, then log on and check for yourself.

However, couple of my cousins and myself play very rarely if at all anymore due to how few people there were anywhere in the world. Sure you can see people in lion’s arch, perhaps looking for the 1 dungeon anyone cares about anymore.. aside from that, I find it VERY surprising anyone here could possibly believe the population hasn’t drastically decreased in the past 2 months.

As I said, take a look for yourself, but compared to 4 weeks from launch, the game is practically dead.

This, check for yourself.

You will find most areas fairly quiet outside of LA and the WvW zones depending on your server.

Posted by: Mercucial.6759

Mercucial.6759

Game is improving.

Population still falling, will stabilize somewhat below EVE Online’s.

Nice troll attempt 0/10

Population is still growing , servers are packed most people are upset they cannot join their servers in NA during prime time due to them being full. Big game patch tomorrow everyone is very excited as usual.

Huh? Not a troll at all…

See, EVE hit 450k subscribers whereas SWTOR, WH, and AoC fell to 100k-200k after initial sales in the 1-2m range. I rate GW2 as good enough game to do better than those three, so it will be keeping at least 200k active players. On the other hand it’s very clear it wont be able to keep 500k, in fact the number of active players is already below 500k most likely despite the most recent influx of new players caused by GW2 getting Time game of the year and Xmas.

What I said is a very safe bet and a commendation.

You should let me know the winning lottery numbers, considering you can accurately judge the number of people who will be playing a game that is barely 4 months into it’s life cycle.

I would ignore these forums for the most part, it’s filled with trolls and doomsayers. I have no problem getting a group for dungeons, even without using gw2lfg.com. I’ve also been leveling an alt, around lvl 20 right now and I run into plenty of people in lower level zones.

Also everyone saying “the population has dropped since release”….no kitten. Show me one MMO where the population didn’t drop a couple months after release. The population in Vanilla WoW even dropped for a bit until they started rolling out new content.

(edited by Mercucial.6759)

nofo.8469

Game is improving.

Nice troll attempt 0/10

Population is still growing , servers are packed most people are upset they cannot join their servers in NA during prime time due to them being full. Big game patch tomorrow everyone is very excited as usual.

Huh? Not a troll at all…

See, EVE hit 450k subscribers whereas SWTOR, WH, and AoC fell to 100k-200k after initial sales in the 1-2m range. I rate GW2 as good enough game to do better than those three, so it will be keeping at least 200k active players. On the other hand it’s very clear it wont be able to keep 500k, in fact the number of active players is already below 500k most likely despite the most recent influx of new players caused by GW2 getting Time game of the year and Xmas.

You should let me know the winning lottery numbers, considering you can accurately judge the number of people who will be playing a game that is barely 4 months into it’s life cycle.

I would ignore these forums for the most part, it’s filled with trolls and doomsayers. I have no problem getting a group for dungeons, even without using gw2lfg.com. I’ve also been leveling an alt, around lvl 20 right now and I run into plenty of people in lower level zones.

Also everyone saying “the population has dropped since release”….no kitten. Show me one MMO where the population didn’t drop a couple months after release. The population in Vanilla WoW even dropped for a bit until they started rolling out new content.

Yeah that’s the thing.

GW2 population dropped even further once they started rolling out new content lol.

Posted by: Mercucial.6759

Mercucial.6759

Game is improving.

Nice troll attempt 0/10

Huh? Not a troll at all…

Yeah that’s the thing.

GW2 population dropped even further once they started rolling out new content lol.

Based on the numbers you got from…………?

Oh right, nowhere.
Yes the game has issues, but you’re def getting your 60 bucks worth. Lets see, most 60 dollar games you get anywhere from 6-10 hours not counting MP, and lets face it, unless it’s Halo, Call of Duty, Starcraft or something along those lines the MP doesn’t last long anyway. I’ve played about 300 hours of GW2, and many people are close to hitting the 1000 hour mark, and are still having fun.

(edited by Mercucial.6759)

Posted by: Biomanz.9302

Biomanz.9302

I still cannot understand why people who say they are finished with this game are still active on this forum. Is that to warn people off from playing a bad game?

Forums are more entertaining and interesting than the current state of the game, and they seem to be more active than the population actually playing the game. That is what happens when a game is dying.

Same goes for WoW or any MMO. I’d prefer an active forum to an inactive one, even if full of whiners.

I find these “game is dying” or “population going downhill” posts quite stupid, full of anecdotal evidence and ppl pulling numbers/conclusions out their kittenholes. In the end, just another doomsday thread that serves no purpose.

Taera Locke – staff ele
Red circles heal you. Just relax.

(edited by Biomanz.9302)

nofo.8469

Game is improving.

Nice troll attempt 0/10

Huh? Not a troll at all…

Yeah that’s the thing.

Based on the numbers you got from…………?

Oh right, nowhere.
Yes the game has issues, but you’re def getting your 60 bucks worth. Lets see, most 60 dollar games you get anywhere from 6-10 hours not counting MP, and lets face it, unless it’s Halo, Call of Duty, Starcraft or something along those lines the MP doesn’t last long anyway. I’ve played about 300 hours of GW2, and many people are close to hitting the 1000 hour mark, and are still having fun.

Never said I didn’t get my $60 worth, I definitely did.

I have put more hours into the likes of Starcraft, borderlands, CS, LoL, DAoC etc than I have GW2 so it’s not like its the only game on the market that’s worth the money to me. Although I do agree that most games don’t entertain for anything like that long. Saying that though, games like Amnesia or Planescape only entertained me for a few days, they are still the most memorable times I have spent playing games and would give them a monetary value higher than any of the games I have played for 100+ hours.

I was simply pointing out that every MMO gets its population back rather quickly once they establish their domain. And don’t be absurd, I want to see GW2 succeed as badly as everyone else but saying the population hasn’t dropped significantly since the lost shores patch is just being blind.

(edited by nofo.8469)

Posted by: Tolmos.8395

Tolmos.8395

Servers are full, zones are empty. Everyone max level is in cities afking or screaming lfg lfg lfg , or they are in fractals.

Posted by: Dondarrion.2748

Dondarrion.2748

Does anyone have any solid figures on population in different servers or is this “growing”/“declining” just subjective depending on the author’s outlook?

Show me numbers and graphs.

Lord Sazed / Hasla the Huntress / Seaguard Hala
Seamarshal Belit / Initiate Xun Tsu / Mistwarden Roshone
Seafarer’s Rest | Northerner @ Dragon Season

Posted by: Tolmos.8395

Tolmos.8395

Does anyone have any solid figures on population in different servers or is this “growing”/“declining” just subjective depending on the author’s outlook?

The only numbers anyone has to show the population is stable/growing is that they read “full” and “high” all the time. Otherwise, no- there are no numbers to support it.

Same with zones. There are no distinct charts for those either, though the dead map chats on full servers and inability to find another player physically do a decent enough job of getting the point across.

Posted by: Latorn.4209

Latorn.4209

I took a break for a while too, and now I’m back and I can’t stop playing XD

Population is awesome, but I guess it would depend on server.

Posted by: wookie slayer.4259

wookie slayer.4259

actually GW2 pop has been steadily growing. most servers are full.

definitly not growing, if you’ve played the game at all the last few months its been a steady decline of less and less people on screen

Posted by: juno.1840

juno.1840

If OP prefer to grind instances, he would find the population booming in LA.

Only if “grind instances” is code for “grind fractals”. The other instances are not booming from what I’ve seen on Yak’s.

Part of me thinks that someone in ANet was thinking “hey, wanna see something funny? Watch this…”

Posted by: Zeldain.5710

Zeldain.5710

Here’s a graph. This graph read over 100,000 hours on launch week. Now, under 10,000.

http://beta.xfire.com/games/gw2

It’s an excellent predictor of engagement trends overall, and deadly accurate based on other past games and trends.

Posted by: Ickorus.4518

Ickorus.4518

I’ve said this in a couple of threads now, this game is not subscription based, this makes the game different in terms of population growth. People don’t feel like they need to be spending every second of every day in-game to make their purchase worth it so they’ll log in less often and have a bit of fun for a while then log off and do something else; it doesn’t mean the game is dying because speaking as one of those players even though I’m not online constantly I’m still perfectly willing to throw money in the cash shop every once in a while and any large event is guaranteed to get me back online for a few days.

To answer the OPs question:

- Leveling areas tend to have a reasonable number of players on, I’d estimate between 15 – 30 players in your typical middle level zone, there’s plenty in low level zones still and I haven’t personally spent a large amount of time in high level zones so I can’t comment there.

- WvW tends to still have a queue on my server (Piken Square) at prime-time.

- I haven’t done much sPvP in a while and can’t comment there.

- Dungeons are still active, particularly FOTM.

Guild: Afterlife [AFTL] (Piken Square)

Posted by: bojangles.6912

bojangles.6912

Game is improving.

EVE Online is around the 350k mark (http://users.telenet.be/mmodata/Charts/Subs-2.png) That sounds like a good estimate. Although we will never know because I am sure ANet doesn’t want to disclose the logs from launch to now as it has declined rapidly. Funny they mention box sales out the door but have yet to say what they have now.

Posted by: Ouroboros.5076

Ouroboros.5076

There is no subscription, so what exactly do you want them to post ? The number of individual accounts that logged at least once this month ?

Posted by: Ruprect.7260

Ruprect.7260

I just started this game last week and have made it to lvl 40 without seeing more than about 20 people total since I left the starter zone or went into Lion’s Arch. Really boring and slow leveling your first char alone:(

Ruprect – [DIS] Dissentient
Mesmer/Elementalist/Guardian/Necromancer/Warrior
[TC] Tarnished Coast

Posted by: Ironcloud.3892

Ironcloud.3892

Concurrent players doesn’t really mean much for a B2P game with “No endgame” (In other words you don’t HAVE to log in to attend something like a raid for instance).

The game is very much play when you want to play, which is far from a bad thing.

But to answer your question

- WvW is usually full on very high – full servers.

- Mists is fairly lacking in players, mainly due to people waiting on ranking and such (Which is to be implemented in the January/February updates).

- Most zones have enough players from what I’ve seen (Server is Gandara, very high pop).

- Dungeon-wise, fractals is dominating LA map chat, going to be a challenge to find anything other than that for a while.

Posted by: tigirius.9014

tigirius.9014

The only numbers anyone has to show the population is stable/growing is that they read “full” and “high” all the time. Otherwise, no- there are no numbers to support it.

Same with zones. There are no distinct charts for those either, though the dead map chats on full servers and inability to find another player physically do a decent enough job of getting the point across.

Yep my point exactly. The servers saying full is the equivolent of the 1.7 million player myth that was put forth for so many months by another company that suddenly lost a ton of a players as well. It’s typical of the industry. someone in the PR department is sitting around going…..

“no no everything’s fine nothing’s wrong all the players are here, see?”

Balance Team: Please Fix Mine Toolbelt Positioning!

Posted by: kiko.4230

kiko.4230

You want population to play with ? Then go LA and scream for Fractals.Cos the rest is dead.

Posted by: Baemir.9874

Baemir.9874

In my server the leveling zones are so dead it’s not even funny. Feels like pre-F2P Vanguard. I have to do all the events by myself and the group events just sit there for hours or even days.

Posted by: Warkupo.1025

Warkupo.1025

If you are used to WoW, this game is pretty dead.

If you are used to every other MMO, the population seems healthy and stable. I can usually send out a message in the map channel and 2-4 people will show up and partake in it. Keep in mind that I tend to play in the wee hours of the morning.

Posted by: Gele.2048

Gele.2048

FULL servers FULL freind list welcome back!!

Posted by: Max Lexandre.6279

Max Lexandre.6279

Full servers doesn’t mean they are really full. Just mean how much accounts there are in that X server!

If that would represent the real numbers I guess it would not be Full no way, I don’t see people arround PVE maps, or even WvW of an “full server”. —’

I’m The Best in Everything.
Asura thing.

Posted by: Edge.4180

Edge.4180

I’m trying hard not to roll my eyes whenever someone claims the zones are “empty”. Do we have the same definition of the word “empty”? Because I’m hitting zones of all levels, and when an event starts and a dozen players swarm the space around me in a matter of seconds, I have a hard time describing that as “empty”.

Do some people seriously want to hear the population described as “there are so many players around me at any given moment I can’t even score credit on a kill”, because that’s exactly the opposite of what I want.

Posted by: greg.3792

greg.3792

I’m trying hard not to roll my eyes whenever someone claims the zones are “empty”. Do we have the same definition of the word “empty”? Because I’m hitting zones of all levels, and when an event starts and a dozen players swarm the space around me in a matter of seconds, I have a hard time describing that as “empty”.

Do some people seriously want to hear the population described as “there are so many players around me at any given moment I can’t even score credit on a kill”, because that’s exactly the opposite of what I want.

There is a big disparity between servers having jumped around a bit.

One server may say Full but have a very large number of inactive players. Another server may say Full and have a healthy population.

Posted by: Mammoth.1975

Mammoth.1975

Pop is high enough that PvP was unplayable due to lag during the lost shores events, and the events themselves were even worse. Ridiculous amounts of people.

If you’re not playing to win, don’t complain when you lose.

(edited by Mammoth.1975)

Posted by: Casty.9743

Casty.9743

Orr is “empty” compared to what it use to be. You could say it’s fewer bots, but now I see very little of anyone. Good luck getting your temple karma armors.

Similarly, getting a dungeon team is not as easy as it use to be (unless that dungeon is fractals).

get a guild problem solved. i have no issues gettin a 5man to clear temples whenever needed

Posted by: Bregah.7365

Bregah.7365

I can only speak for my own server, Yak’s Bend, which was listed as “Full” until yesterday.

I’m working on world completion (86% now), so have been doing lower level zones lately. The zones I have been completing the last week or so are (in no particular order):

Metrica
Wayfarer
Kessex
Snowden
Diessa
Dredgehaunt

I still have Lornar’s, Timberline and part of Mount Maelstrom left to go (and 3 of the cities to finish).

Wayfarer and Metrica weren’t too bad, but I never saw more than 3 other people at any one event, and the map chat was decidedly lower in Wayfarer than Metrica.

Dredgehaunt was nearly a ghost town when I did it, as was Kessex. There were other people there, but not too many (I would say I actually saw less than 10 other people on each map while 100% them).

Snowden Drifts – I did not see another single soul last night when completing this map. No one. Not a single map chat from anyone else, either. I don’t know if I was the only person on this map, but I was the only person I ever saw the entire time I was there.

Diessa was pretty active, though – more than either Metrica or Wayfarer.

Also, while my server has been High or Full for at least a month, I have not had a WvW queue in at least that long. And until recently Yak’s Bend was in the 3rd tier of WvW matchups (basically we were ranked 9th out of 24 US servers – now we are 10th and in the 4th tier). I didn’t have a queue at all this past Saturday, either, when the matchup was fresh and we were finally winning (we had come in 3rd in our T3 matchup 3 weeks running – though never getting destroyed).

I haven’t been to Orr zones for a bit (as doing map completion completes the dailies), but around 2 weeks ago, certain spots of Cursed Shore seemed pretty full still (Penitent Path and Fields of Gold), but most other waypoints were contested (including most Temples).

Lots of people still show up for the 3 dragons (last weekend was the last time I was doing these), but obviously not nearly as many as during September.

That’s what it’s been like on my “full” server, but my activities aren’t what most people have been doing.

Posted by: juno.1840

juno.1840

I’m also on Yak’s and there are few players outside of LA.

The same for WvW which use to be a queue-fest. Now I’m lucky if my “zerg” is a group of five. Three of us actually rolled through a lot of Maguma three-manning supply depots, vets, and dolyaks. Until we ran into a maguma zerg of 20 that is…

sPvP seems low as well if you use the random arenas with the “Join” feature. I was literally in a match by myself for all but the last 2 minutes. By the time someone was assigned to my match I had 450 points.

Part of me thinks that someone in ANet was thinking “hey, wanna see something funny? Watch this…”