Thinking of trying guild wars again.

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: flatlined.6597

flatlined.6597

so with the expansion rolling around and my friend starting to play the game again I was thinking of getting back into the game again.

now all I have to do is pick a class.

so how’s necromancer these days? that’s what I mained in guild wars 1 and man they sucked back when I first played GW2.

also how’s the rest of the classes? do rangers still suck hard?

what class has the most variety, build options, and playstyles?

which class looks the most interesting and fun with what they are getting in the new expansion?

Posted by: Zackie.8923

Zackie.8923

thief’s spec daredevil looks the most exciting for me

Posted by: StinVec.3621

StinVec.3621

GW2 Necro is still nothing like the GW1 Necro (which was a real necromancer). I’ve found that the Necro in Gw2 is best played without minions, and a whole lot more fun too. I still consider GW2 as not having a Necromancer profession as their version of it is so far from what a necro should be (and is in GW1).

Regarding rangers, I guess it depends on what game mode you want to play it in. I have like 9 rangers or so that I use in Open World PvE and I love them for it. Still wish we could choose to ditch the pet, but I mainly try to forget it is even there and try to compensate for its hit to my stats in other ways. Can’t comment on ranger in PvP modes or iPvE (dungeons/fractals). May want to hit the ranger sub-forum for more insight on those areas from ranger players.

| [“I’d really like this…” — Resource for Gifting Strangers] |
| [Free Ports For All “Not So Secret” JP Needs (and 1st Try Dive Tips)] |
| [Classic Thread: “all is vain”] |

flatlined.6597

GW2 Necro is still nothing like the GW1 Necro (which was a real necromancer). I’ve found that the Necro in Gw2 is best played without minions, and a whole lot more fun too. I still consider GW2 as not having a Necromancer profession as their version of it is so far from what a necro should be (and is in GW1).

Regarding rangers, I guess it depends on what game mode you want to play it in. I have like 9 rangers or so that I use in Open World PvE and I love them for it. Still wish we could choose to ditch the pet, but I mainly try to forget it is even there and try to compensate for its hit to my stats in other ways. Can’t comment on ranger in PvP modes or iPvE (dungeons/fractals). May want to hit the ranger sub-forum for more insight on those areas from ranger players.

so the minions are still bad

I have no problem with other build it’s just minions being workable would be cool.

flatlined.6597

lol I almost smell a law suit from marvel

Posted by: briggah.7910

briggah.7910

why would they sue them when they used the name the same way anet has done

Player Vs Everyone
youtube channel - twitch channel

Posted by: Lethalvriend.1723

Lethalvriend.1723

Daredevil wasn’t invented by marvel, they used a word that already existed.

As for the topic, I’d say necromancers can still be fun but not with minions as said. Condition necromancers are better since the recent patch but they are still nowhere near the damage output of an elementalist or warrior etc. With the new elite specs, from what I’ve seen all classes seem to be getting some nice mechanics.

Posted by: Inverse.2967

Inverse.2967

If you dare to shuffle around a big ton of skills, toolkits and diverse builds and playstyles on a situational level go play engineer. There are very many totally different ways to play engineer and it comes with a big mix of specialties from across other classes as well.
Also Asura Engi with Golem asura skills totally hillarious RP fun.

flatlined.6597

If you dare to shuffle around a big ton of skills, toolkits and diverse builds and playstyles on a situational level go play engineer. There are very many totally different ways to play engineer and it comes with a big mix of specialties from across other classes as well.
Also Asura Engi with Golem asura skills totally hillarious RP fun.

I was definitely thinking engineer though I wish they had some melee game, though it looks like they are getting a hammer in the expansion what is that gonna add?

Posted by: Kumion.7580

Kumion.7580

… so how’s necromancer these days? …
… do rangers still suck hard?
which class looks the most interesting and fun with what they are getting in the new expansion?

As others said, necro is good as condi now, bad as minion master. Not as insta-kick as they were, still lower DPS than any other class but they have quite a lot of group support.

Rangers are well-hated as opposition in PvP. They don’t have as many party-support skills as other classes, so they’re less easily accepted in dungeons and such. As with minion-master, pet AI is still bad.

IMO, the most versatile classes are engi and elementalist. Engi kits alone make for a lot of diversity options. Bomb or flamethrower kits allow a more-melee style. Ele, while often a glass cannon, has a lot of options with four elements for weapon skills, tons of combo fields, a lot of group support, and options for ranged or melee. Both classes have a learning curve but are well worth trying.

Mesmer/Chronomancer has been the most fun elite class for me to play in beta. Twisting time rocks. I set up a Necro/Reaper chill build that was fun to play. Reaper animations are very cool and Reaper is much more melee oriented than standard Necro. I’m looking forward to trying Thief/Daredevil this coming weekend; it looks promising!

Edited to add: Engi elite has not yet been revealed, so we don’t know what hammer will bring.

(edited by Kumion.7580)

Posted by: Arioso.8519

Arioso.8519

I was definitely thinking engineer though I wish they had some melee game, though it looks like they are getting a hammer in the expansion what is that gonna add?

I main engie. Engie is fun.

Currently the engineers “Melee” weapons are toolkit, bomb kit and flamethrower, though most of the raged weapons and kits have a melee range skill so flipping between those is generally the way to fight at melee range with engie.

As for the hammer, we don’t know what it’s going to add!

It’s literally the last spec to be revealed! The only two that have not been gone into in detail are the Druid and the Engineer spec (likely to be named Forge or Forgemaster) All we know is engie will get a hammer, and they will get drones. We don’t know if the drones are skills or a class mechanic, what they do or how they work. Some guesswork and datamining suggests they’ll have high burning output.

That is literally pretty much everything we know about them right now.