Kilger.5490

Ranger for sure =)

Kilger – Human Ranger
alts: Fangyre (Necro), Hardrawk (Ele);
Jade Quarry

Third most closest soldier profession?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Avatar.1923

imo if there is a new soldier profession its gonna be a heavy armor magic user, with cone shaped spells and AoEs centered on himself.

random guess.

Posted by: Right Toe Of Grenth.4032

Right Toe Of Grenth.4032

Engineers sounds far more soldier than a guardian if you hate spell casting :p

Posted by: Scumbag Mawile.6384

Scumbag Mawile.6384

Sword/dagger’s dodges + Greatsword’s auto attack evade and block can be used very nicely together, even more so for their leaping combos through a Healing Spring.

That being said, you won’t kill anyone quickly as a Ranger.

Disciple of Quag

Posted by: ZudetGambeous.9573

ZudetGambeous.9573

Remember there are no melee and no ranged professions. Every class is fully capable of being fully melee, fully ranged or both.

In fact I think if you play a class as fully one or the other you are missing out on quite a bit of their capabilities.

Engineer would probably be my choice answer to your question though.

Posted by: Zenith.6403

Zenith.6403

Remember there are no melee and no ranged professions. Every class is fully capable of being fully melee, fully ranged or both.

- Except the Engineer…

Posted by: Scumbag Mawile.6384

Scumbag Mawile.6384

- Except the Engineer…

And Guardian.

Try sticking to a Scepter. I dare you.

Disciple of Quag

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

- Except the Engineer…

The toolkit uses the wrench as a melee weapon and it’s a kitten good one.

Posted by: SkeeLd.2164

SkeeLd.2164

imo if there is a new soldier profession its gonna be a heavy armor magic user, with cone shaped spells and AoEs centered on himself.

random guess.

So a Heavy armor D/D Ele

Posted by: Shimond.2478

Shimond.2478

Thief or Ranger probably for the closest to a melee soldier, assuming that’s what you’re asking for. The rest are too ‘magical’ for what you’re looking for.

Posted by: Mad Rasputin.7809

Mad Rasputin.7809

The engineer’s toolkit wrench is really their only source of true melee. It is not bad, coupled with the prybar, but engineers are not that great at melee.

But engineers can put out some DPS and condition damage. Lots of AoE means lots of enemies going down. While AoEs only hit 5 enemies max, I can constantly hit quite a bit more than that per attack. With coated bullets, the first target I hit has a chance to process an AoE effect from my sigil of fire. Then the next one has another chance. I routinely see 10-15 enemies in a mob getting tagged by me at once.

They are pretty good soldiers in their own right.

Posted by: Chessrook.8643

Chessrook.8643

imo if there is a new soldier profession.

I can always wait with my third toon… but i can almost guarantee there wont be one…
How was it in GW1? were there any new profession after game release? (i dont know since never played the first one).

Prophecies was the main game and had six classes/professions: Warrior, Ranger, Elementalist, Mesmer, Necromancer, Monk.

When Factions came out it added two new classes: Ritualist, and Assassin.

Nightfall added two MORE classes, the Dervish and the Paragon.

So yes, they did.

Posted by: Shimond.2478

Shimond.2478

Well you’ll be waiting a long time as they haven’t decided they want to DO an expansion, let alone started working on it. It’s not off the table but it isn’t on it, either.

Posted by: Chessrook.8643

Chessrook.8643

imo if there is a new soldier profession.

I can always wait with my third toon… but i can almost guarantee there wont be one…
How was it in GW1? were there any new profession after game release? (i dont know since never played the first one).

Prophecies was the main game and had six classes/professions: Warrior, Ranger, Elementalist, Mesmer, Necromancer, Monk.

When Factions came out it added two new classes: Ritualist, and Assassin.

Nightfall added two MORE classes, the Dervish and the Paragon.

So yes, they did.

Wow, ok. So there is still hope, though we already have 8, and GW1 had only 6, so i see why it was possible in GW1, not sure about GW2.
I might actually wait. Thank you

Well at the same time, some of their classes are similar to current ones. Warrior, Ranger, Elementalist, and Necromancer are pretty much the same. Mesmer changed from a hex-debuffing class to the class it is today. Assassins are basically thieves minus the stealth, and I’ve heard people compare ritualists to Engineers a bit. Paragons MIGHT be similar to the Guardian.

That leaves the Monk, typical healer class, and the Dervish, a scythe-wielding enchantment-based class. I dunno about you, but I’d like a good scythe-wielding Dervish whirling about.

Posted by: Seras.5702

Seras.5702

Choices are really only between Ranger and Engineer.

Ranger is very effective both melee and at range. Their survivability revolves around evasion (much like Guardian’s revolves around boons). Literal soldier similarity: commands a subordinate (pet), potential army (racial summon + hyena F2).

Engineer was designed as a mid-range fighter, but with no spells. It’s all gadgets and kits and elixirs. Literal soldier similarity: uses guns & artillery.

Flixx Gatebuster, Orwynn Lightgrave, Seras Snapdragon
[TTBH] [HATE], Yak’s Bend(NA)

Posted by: Cero.5132

Cero.5132

The engineer’s toolkit wrench is really their only source of true melee. It is not bad, coupled with the prybar, but engineers are not that great at melee.

But engineers can put out some DPS and condition damage. Lots of AoE means lots of enemies going down. While AoEs only hit 5 enemies max, I can constantly hit quite a bit more than that per attack. With coated bullets, the first target I hit has a chance to process an AoE effect from my sigil of fire. Then the next one has another chance. I routinely see 10-15 enemies in a mob getting tagged by me at once.

Funny thing I believe that engis are more suited for melee than range. Though I see myself often jumping in and out of melee. Hence the medium-range-thing ion the class philosophy I guess.
rifle #3, #4 and #5 are melee oriented. As are bombs, the toolkit, pistol #4, heck even grenades are more reliable in melee range and have a lower flight time there o.0
Whether you want to use engi in melee, range or as medium range is up to the player´s… playstyle

On topic: Did you guys know, that engi was supposedly intended to be a third heavy armor class?

Posted by: Seras.5702

Seras.5702

On topic: Did you guys know, that engi was supposedly intended to be a third heavy armor class?

Yes. And I’ve read several times that players feel that Eng were designed for heavy armor, changed to medium, and then never retooled for it.

Having just started Eng I haven’t yet delved into the profession enough to weigh in on the subject, but it’s an interesting one.

Flixx Gatebuster, Orwynn Lightgrave, Seras Snapdragon
[TTBH] [HATE], Yak’s Bend(NA)

Posted by: Draknar.5748

Draknar.5748

- Except the Engineer…

And Guardian.

I play guardian and use staff for main and scepter/torch for OH. Specced for shouts/boons, healing, and crit.

I kill almost everything with my scepter before it can come close to me. So….

Scepter ftw

I won’t stop because I can’t stop.

It’s a medical condition, they say its terminal….

Posted by: Paulytnz.7619

Paulytnz.7619

Don’t forget the Bombkit that is def more melee than ranged……

Since when did this business of being a hero become being a business?

Posted by: Jski.6180

Jski.6180

I would call Mesmer the near soldier profession because all of there “pets” fall into the melee think of the Mesmer as a leader of a group of soldier.

Main : Jski Imaginary ELE (Necromancer)
Guild : OBEY (The Legacy) I call it Obay , TLC (WvW) , UNIV (other)
Server : FA

Posted by: blakkrskyrr.7413

blakkrskyrr.7413

i’d like a heavy class soon. what I’d like is a shaman type class.

Paulytnz.7619

My guess is that if the Paragon class made a comback from GW1 that it would be a Heavy class. It would have spears (already in game as water weapons) for a mid range weapon as well as the usual other melee for the heavy classes I assume.

This is the next class I HOPE that we see.

Posted by: dinominator.9862

dinominator.9862

I like to use a shield with my engineer in PvE, so that kind of gives me a warrior feel. Just need to pretend the mainhand pistol is a dagger or something… and get up close and personal. :P

Actually the wrench sounds like a good way to do it.

Posted by: critickitten.1498

critickitten.1498

My guess is that if the Paragon class made a comback from GW1 that it would be a Heavy class. It would have spears (already in game as water weapons) for a mid range weapon as well as the usual other melee for the heavy classes I assume.

Paragon’s already been absorbed into the Guardian. Guardian’s essentially a melee hybrid of Monk, Ritualist, and Paragon.

Bringing Paragon back would make it overlap way too much with Guardian.

I’d rather see something different, something the existing pair of soldiers don’t do. A Battlemage or Spellsword sort of class might be fun.

Remember when our developers talked about “strengthening the core game”?
How’d that work out for us so far?
Now let’s try some ideas that will really work.

Paulytnz.7619

Paragon’s already been absorbed into the Guardian. Guardian’s essentially a melee hybrid of Monk, Ritualist, and Paragon.

Bringing Paragon back would make it overlap way too much with Guardian.

I’d rather see something different, something the existing pair of soldiers don’t do. A Battlemage or Spellsword sort of class might be fun.

I don’t agree. The guardian is one of the poorest classes with range in this game. Imo the Paragon could be a good mix of a range/melee heavy class which is needed. Sure remove all the healing associations that were with the Paragon in GW1 and just focus more on the melee/spear range. For Sparta!

Posted by: Enigma.7384

Enigma.7384

I would personally like to see the return (or at least concepts brought back) of the Dervish. The Dervish was awesome in GW because they used different elemental prayers and enchantments during combat. Since the Dervish is a holy warrior who draws his power from the gods, I could see their F1-F4 skills being related to that. In GW, the Dervish could temporarily become the avatar of one of the gods and would gain additional benefits based on which god they took the form of.

Now since straight up becoming an avatar through an F1 skill would be OP, I would suggest that they are more of a “watered down” form of the avatar, their scythe would be imbued with the element of the god, but they would not gain all of the power. However, an elite skill gained later on could allow them to access the full extent of their avatar power and allow them to temporarily take on the form of one of the gods with all benefits included.

Posted by: critickitten.1498

critickitten.1498

I don’t agree. The guardian is one of the poorest classes with range in this game. Imo the Paragon could be a good mix of a range/melee heavy class which is needed. Sure remove all the healing associations that were with the Paragon in GW1 and just focus more on the melee/spear range. For Sparta!

We already have a class that is effectively dedicated to ranged combat, and people complain that it’s too similar to Warrior.

If that’s all Paragon can bring to the table, then it won’t feel very unique, which defeats the idea the devs were going for. GW1 was all about mixing classes to the point where they became too homogenized, whereas GW2 set out to make each of its classes as unique as possible.

Also, you do realize that Spartan Hoplites were primarily melee units who used short swords for most of their combat, right? Methinks 300 has given people a rather illusory perception of how the Greeks actually fought.

I would honestly rather see Dervish return, because at least that class could possibly be turned into something more unique than Paragon at this point.

Remember when our developers talked about “strengthening the core game”?
How’d that work out for us so far?
Now let’s try some ideas that will really work.

Posted by: Orion the Cursed.1206

Orion the Cursed.1206

- Except the Engineer…

And Guardian.

Try sPvP i dare you.

I’d say Engineer as well because they are capable of using shields/blocks

Posted by: Knighthonor.4061

Knighthonor.4061

- Except the Engineer…

We have a new King of Comedy here…

hey can I get tickets to your next show?

Knighthonor.4061

Why not just add a Shadow Knight and be done with it?

New Soldier with caster spell theme and melee like Guardian, but totally anti-guardian in every way.

Can turn ally into scary creatures to rampage enemies when they get downed.
Can heal ally but only by damaging and sucking life from enemies.
Can wear heavy armor like all soldier classes.
Can use brand new weapon (2hander axe)
Can mind control enemies while channeling.
Can shapeshift into monsters of the shadow.

Posted by: dinominator.9862

dinominator.9862

Also, you do realize that Spartan Hoplites were primarily melee units who used short swords for most of their combat, right? Methinks 300 has given people a rather illusory perception of how the Greeks actually fought.

Bollocks! Next you’re going to tell us that the Persians didn’t really use 100-foot-tall war elephants and sword-wielding ogres!

EDIT: BTW, according to wiki, Hoplites were primarily spearmen and preferred to stab from phalanx formation. Looks like it was not meant as a throwing spear.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hoplite

Hoplites also carried a short sword called a xiphos. The short sword was a secondary weapon, used if or when their spears were broken or lost, or if the phalanx broke rank. The xiphos usually has a blade around 2 feet (0.61 m) long, however those used by the Spartans were often only 12–18 inches long.

(edited by dinominator.9862)

Posted by: Orion the Cursed.1206

Orion the Cursed.1206

New Soldier with caster spell theme and melee like Guardian, but totally anti-guardian in every way.

Like the idea except for name and new weapon (weapons should be universal (used by 3-4 class), not 1 class specific).

Knighthonor.4061

Like the idea except for name and new weapon (weapons should be universal (used by 3-4 class), not 1 class specific).

didnt say 2hander axe was class only. It would be added to the game in the same expansion or whatever they do to add classes. other classes get access to it as well.

Posted by: declan.3968

declan.3968

The strongest tanky non-heavy armor is the necromancer. Either run Dagger or Axe , drop Wells and tank through the damage. With Death Shroud and Life Siphon skills you can solo champions very easily.

Paulytnz.7619

Bah can’t quote now for some reason.

I was just going to say that GW1 for me the Vabbian or sunspears expansion pretty much any part of that side of the world for me felt more African based from Human history or a mix of Africa and the middle east. So when I thought of the paragons (spear throwers) I would always think back to African warriors such as Shaka Zulu etc.

You can never have enough range classes in this game because honestly EVERY class is Melee or Range to a degree. There is nothing new they could really add that is NOT range or melee. Oh wait I guess they could add a pokemon system where we control noob pets but that’s just………. :P

Anywho for me paragon would again just like GW1 would be a mid range and I only brought that idea to this post because my idea is that it would/should be a heavy class. Seem they had planned for Engi to be heavy but changed it (probably because they figure Engi should have the trenchcoat look) they could add the Paragon as a sort of replacement.

As for Dervish I doubt that would be a heavy class, if added probably another Medium or more likely Light.

(edited by Paulytnz.7619)

Posted by: PWNcakesAndROFLs.8263

PWNcakesAndROFLs.8263

Engineer for sure.

They got Pistols, Rifles, Grenades, Bombs, Flamethrowers Mines, Rocket Launchers, Mortars. How much more soldier-like can you get!?

Note: It’s also a long standing joke in the engineer community that the engineer is a combination of the Commando (ANet Easter-egg) and Alchemist concepts for a class.

Posted by: FLFW.3105

FLFW.3105

You must be mistaking what term ‘soldier’ means really. In a war you have infrantry,archers,cavalry,musketmans,cannons and if you are also wtching some fantasy movies – wizards. As long as you are in ‘army’ you are Soldier doesnt matter what you do . Even combat medics are soldiers even thou they might not fire single bullet.

GuildWars 2 is good game with bad management.

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

- Except the Engineer…

We have a new King of Comedy here…

hey can I get tickets to your next show?

Can you afford them?

Posted by: DirtyRich.4903

DirtyRich.4903

You must be mistaking what term ‘soldier’ means really. In a war you have infrantry,archers,cavalry,musketmans,cannons and if you are also wtching some fantasy movies – wizards. As long as you are in ‘army’ you are Soldier doesnt matter what you do . Even combat medics are soldiers even thou they might not fire single bullet.

The OP and everyone else is going by ANet’s armor and class system – Scholars that wear light armor, Adventurers that wear medium armor, and Soldiers that wear heavy armor.

Probably the closest thing to a soldier in playstyle is thief – melee fighter that uses stealth and shadowstep in place of armor. The other classes seem to focus more (although not entirely) on mid or long range.

That being said, if ANet came out with a new soldier class, I’d love to see a magic steampunk knight…kinda like a cyborg lovechild of Asuran and Charr tech. They wouldn’t have to do anything special with the lore… it’s a new development due to Pact cooperation between the races.
One of the things ANet did good with the game is providing a unique feel and identity to each class. This class could gain charges based upon the type of damage taken, and then F123 abilities could be opened that would assist with that type of threat. For example, ranged damage could open up a teleport + aoe root, melee could open an aoe knockdown + chill, condition damage could open up an aoe removal and regen. There would be no cooldown… the skills would be limited only by the charge buildup.