This Game Is So Amazing

This Game Is So Amazing

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Dante.1508

Dante.1508

I’m trying to play the game for “Fun” but nearly all my “fun” has been taken away these last 4 or so months…

So i come to the forum to explain why i’m no longer having “fun” in Anets game anymore..

I’m glad a few like the OP still enjoy the game and i wish i could too.

This Game Is So Amazing

Posted by: Sebalon.5913

Sebalon.5913

I’m trying to play the game for “Fun” but nearly all my “fun” has been taken away these last 4 or so months…

So i come to the forum to explain why i’m no longer having “fun” in Anets game anymore..

Could you give an example?

This Game Is So Amazing

Posted by: Swagger.1459

Swagger.1459

the game is amazing and this is what i love about it!

i love the simplicity of combat, i only have 3-4 buttons to manage while i watch walking dead and chat.

i love not having mounts and just paying for instant transport because i hate looking at the wonderful scenery.

i love that certain professions and builds can kill you a few seconds in pvp/wvw because it teaches you what you should to level up, play and use gems/gold on.

i love that tree guy is the celebrated hero because it really fits in with the whisperer theme.

i love the lack of profession build, attacks, skills, and traits diversity outside of gear because it requires less thinking. also, i like all classes to be predictable and common.

i love that we can monitor the tp through apps and web sites without having to be logged into the game.

i love how earning a legendary is not tied to any sort of meaningful achievements or content.

i love that we run slow and move even slower when in combat because it gives me a chance to look at all the wonderful scenery.

i love how dungeon runs teach you to to be good at rezzing players, it really helps to get those dailies done more efficiently.

i love the non customizable UI and console game combat style and controls.

i love that you can be hit by cc effects over and over and over, it really adds a new dimension to the way combat unfolds.

i love that the mystic toilet is always clean when i go to use it.

i love pink.

i love all of you guys and gals.

i love a lot of other things too but i have to stop typing because my hand hurts from spamming the #1 button.

seriously though…

yes there are some decent aspects to gw2 but some players have their “fun” by digging deeper into various aspects of a game and have higher expectations. just because some of y’all are easily pleased by looking at pretty graphics, accept whetever is put in the game and swinging around your legendary in LA, doesn’t mean that everyone else should get off the forums, not provide input and just keep shelling out cash in the gem store to keep this game going for the long run.

New Main- 80 Thief – P/P- Vault Spam Pro

221 hours over 1,581 days of bank space/hot pve/lion’s arch afk and some wvw.

This Game Is So Amazing

Posted by: Phaedre.2053

Phaedre.2053

The game is good, levels 1-80 and while there is still map to explore.

After that you can tick it off as ‘done’, unless you came with a bunch of friends in which case just use it as part of your social network – or go find another game with them, and come back if they release an expansion.

As witness, I’m logged in right now, but I’m here on the forums, having completely failed to find anything I want to do in-game. Every time I see ‘LF1M AC Exp’ in chat at Lion’s Arch, it just makes me want to shrivel up inside. When will game designers get it? Not everyone wants to play dungeons

This Game Is So Amazing

Posted by: Celtic Lady.3729

Celtic Lady.3729

Yeah, I think it’s an MMO thing not a GW2 thing, really. No matter what a person’s playstyle is or how much they love a game, there’s always the potential for running out of things to do, either because you’ve already done everything you really enjoy or you grow bored with repeating what there is to do. For now, the dailies keep me logging in, but my play time overall has dropped since I’ve finished my main more or less and alts are starting to become tedious.

I don’t blame GW2 so much as the nature of the genre itself.

This Game Is So Amazing

Dante.1508

Lodestones from open world mobs …almost non existent.
T6 mats from mobs, as above
Champion loot is blues at best..

There’s three examples.

This Game Is So Amazing

Posted by: Tosha Daydreamer.9251

Tosha Daydreamer.9251

Yeah, I think it’s an MMO thing not a GW2 thing, really. No matter what a person’s playstyle is or how much they love a game, there’s always the potential for running out of things to do, either because you’ve already done everything you really enjoy or you grow bored with repeating what there is to do. For now, the dailies keep me logging in, but my play time overall has dropped since I’ve finished my main more or less and alts are starting to become tedious.

I don’t blame GW2 so much as the nature of the genre itself.

Not even the genre. This goes for all games. All sports. Hell, I’ve played Settlers of Catan dozens of time. It’s always the same game. Same rules, often the same players, whose tactics I know. Doesn’t mean I don’t enjoy it, even though it has become “repetitive”. It’s just fun for me.

The best and most fun activities are those that you find intrinsically rewarding or fun.

http://www.spring.org.uk/2009/10/how-rewards-can-backfire-and-reduce-motivation.php

This Game Is So Amazing

Posted by: Lwio.7942

Lwio.7942

The game whilst not amazing is good whist levelling, after that it’s terrible.

This Game Is So Amazing

Posted by: General Belisarius.2548

General Belisarius.2548

I agree with OP I still am in love with this game and its future prospects. It is amazing and me and my friends still have a blast playing all the dungeons and wvw. I enjoy doing dailys as well and working on my dodge rolls as well as learning the tricks to the dungeons. Thanks anet but on a side note please fix the achievements :p

This Game Is So Amazing

Posted by: Kasama.8941

Kasama.8941

It’s sad that so many people have lost grasp of what it means to play a game in the first place, and instead craves for something to “work for”. Games were never meant to be work, but something you do for your enjoyment, in the same way you also do when you watch a movie, or read a book.

So yeah, just play for fun! (that should be the Guild Wars 2 slogan :P)

80 Ranger | 80 Mesmer | 80 Thief | 80 Guardian | 40 Engineer
“The learned is happy, nature to explore. The fool is happy, that he knows no more.”
-Alexander Pope

This Game Is So Amazing

Posted by: Arcain.9106

Arcain.9106

Such a positive thread I love it.

The only negative thing I want to say is to fix the class/trait bugs before adding more content on top of everything.

I have continously gone back into Tyria and explore the world. Now near 400hrs playtime and I still haven’t gotten finished the main story quest, or done 100% map completion, or done all the dungeons, heck I’ve only done 2 :P. This game has kept me compelled to keep going and exploring/trying new things. I won’t ever leave my Mesmer, he’s me, and I’ve become very attached that playing an alt feels wrong.

The world is beautiful, visually stunning, events always happening, with so many events and NPC interaction it does help makes the world feel ‘alive’. I just wish I had IRL friends that played this game with me because it does get lonely in the big bad world.

This Game Is So Amazing

Posted by: exocet.6308

exocet.6308

yes there are some decent aspects to gw2 but some players have their “fun” by digging deeper into various aspects of a game and have higher expectations. just because some of y’all are easily pleased by looking at pretty graphics, accept whetever is put in the game and swinging around your legendary in LA, doesn’t mean that everyone else should get off the forums, not provide input and just keep shelling out cash in the gem store to keep this game going for the long run.

Full agreement with Swagger.1459. Not quoting the whole thing to save space.

OP does not understand why people are complaining, here is to OP: People have their own viewpoints and what you find enjoyable do not suit them. Few agree with you and many don’t. I’m in agreement that I don’t need the best stats or looks to enjoy a game, but I don’t like wasted potentials, especially when I’m being artificially limited by the developers. Being contempt with a few things and being unhappy with limitations implemented just to up the gem store sales are both equally valid viewpoints. What “seems to be unlimited” isn’t so from where I’m looking.

Nowadays it’s a standard practice on the forums when someone is complaining about something or sharing his/her criticism on the game with the so called “nice community”, within the first 5 replies there will be: “If you don’t like it, don’t do it”.

I will agree on the fact that about 70% of these complains are nick-picking and at times incredibly shallow. For example, Legendaries, Ascended’s , just picking the most popular ones of course. You may think that the arguments (commonly the grind to get Legendaries, FotM’s ease of access to Ascended’s vs. Laurels) are invalid because they can just choose to not do it, you are an ignorant little cat.

Some may argue that the game is enjoyable exploring different zones: Doing the so-called dynamic event which actually is just a repeating loop of 3-4 quests; Enjoying the scenery which isn’t anywhere close to awesome if you’ve sampled a wide range of modern day games; The list goes on.

Let me share with you what I think. ArenaNet’s idea of end-game may be largely composed of exploration (scaling, puzzles) and others such as Wv3, PvP. BUT, there is absolutely no excuse for them to pit the players aiming for post 80 progression against DR for Legendary mats and a calendar gate for Ascended’s. Oh wait, I forgot, there is a gem store in this buy to play game (not f2p, at all… fact).

Legendaries could have lore behind them and each have an epic journey of quests across half, if not all the maps. Ascended’s should be obtained on the amount of content you’ve completed, not the amount of days you logged to do your world dailies and fractal dailies.

What players need is motivation, the drive to do certain things. Drive comes with unhindered experience. There are ways to achieve motivation without capping player progression. If you enjoy doing puzzles and exploring like I do, great, but overlooking the other half of the player base and telling them off? Pathetic.

If you don’t like discussions, whines and the subsequent flaming wars, go to reddit. Over there people just lick the developer’s backside to grind karma(i said grind, karma, hoho kitten sigh facepalm). FREEDOM OF SPEECH HOORAY! -only if no downvotes.

You like the game for the state it is in right now and post it, but I don’t, so I also post it. Will you “never understand” that?

This Game Is So Amazing

Posted by: Nuka Cola.8520

Nuka Cola.8520

‘This game is so awesome’ is what i used to say to everyone the first month of the game release, not so much anymore when they aren’t giving us anything to do in pve, nothing its like you log on to stand in LA and do nothing…

Fact: every Thief tells you to “l2p” when the subject is to nerf stealth.

This Game Is So Amazing

Posted by: Afyael.1740

Afyael.1740

The game should be awesome, there are just a few issues:

1. DR, Remove this crap now. It hurts the customer and spoils our (my) enjoyment.

2. Skills and traits, either introduce more skills or fix the broken ones that prevent people from enjoying classes. Traits on almost every class need to be fixed too, I’m looking at the ranger and necromancer especially here but Guardian and Engineer traits need some reworking.

3. Mob AI, mobs shouldn’t just generically attack players, they should have a whole set of skills and use them a lot. Make fighting enemies much more like fighting another player, similar to how it was in GW1.

If they did that I would be completely fine with the game (I would say get rid of ascended gear but that’s never going to happen).

This Game Is So Amazing

Posted by: Sebalon.5913

Sebalon.5913

There’s three examples.

Yet, all those examples are about rewards and loot. Not quality of content. Though I do agree with those points they don’t ruin the game by any means.

This Game Is So Amazing

Posted by: Serenity.3096

Serenity.3096

This game actually does a pretty lousy job of explaining the game’s fundamental mechanics like dynamic events or boons/conditions.
GW2 has actually lost a lot of players because they were looting around for a quest-giver and the game did nothing to explain how Hearts/DEs were to replace quests.

Actually in my opinion GW2 is the most noob friendly game, because compared to some other MMOs it’s pretty easy to figure out.
Both me and my boyfriend came from the WoW crowd, without watching any videos and figured it out for ourselves.

Because it’s not okay for people to claim that everything is “optional” but then to also say that the game has a significant depth of content. If all of that content is “optional” and thus doesn’t need to be fixed (which, btw, is bad logic: a broken feature should be fixed whether it’s optional or not), then the end result is that there’s no game left to play once you max your level.

optional means you are not forced to do it, not that the content is not there. The same way that I can’t claim that Skyrim has no side quests just because I’m not forced to do them, the same way that I can’t claim that WoW has no battlegrounds, because I’m not forced to participate in it.

I am only responding to the first part of what you said. As far as it being noob friendly, in some ways it was, but I played during that free trial period they had, and I remember being really frustrated because I kept going back and forth between my “personal story” and the world, and I didn’t know why one was instanced. I couldn’t see how I could ever leave those 2 starting areas (I wasn’t able to complete my personal story quest because it was a couple levels above me). They could do a better job of explaining what was going on with the starting zones and the personal story.

Also, crafting is really important to me, and I was frustrated that I couldn’t see how to start. The crafting is kind of confusing in this game, as it’s pretty different from where I come from. And they really don’t explain at all about choosing those. I’m still only level 8, so maybe they do later.

This Game Is So Amazing

Dante.1508

There’s three examples.

Yet, all those examples are about rewards and loot. Not quality of content. Though I do agree with those points they don’t ruin the game by any means.

Dynamic Events breaking constantly
Classes very unbalanced in different aspects of the game
Culling..

Hows that?

This Game Is So Amazing

Posted by: Iruwen.3164

Iruwen.3164

the game is amazing and this is what i love about it!
i love the simplicity of combat, i only have 3-4 buttons to manage while i watch walking dead and chat.
i love not having mounts and just paying for instant transport because i hate looking at the wonderful scenery.
i love that certain professions and builds can kill you a few seconds in pvp/wvw because it teaches you what you should to level up, play and use gems/gold on.
i love that tree guy is the celebrated hero because it really fits in with the whisperer theme.
i love the lack of profession build, attacks, skills, and traits diversity outside of gear because it requires less thinking. also, i like all classes to be predictable and common.
i love that we can monitor the tp through apps and web sites without having to be logged into the game.
i love how earning a legendary is not tied to any sort of meaningful achievements or content.
i love that we run slow and move even slower when in combat because it gives me a chance to look at all the wonderful scenery.
i love how dungeon runs teach you to to be good at rezzing players, it really helps to get those dailies done more efficiently.
i love the non customizable UI and console game combat style and controls.
i love that you can be hit by cc effects over and over and over, it really adds a new dimension to the way combat unfolds.
i love that the mystic toilet is always clean when i go to use it.
i love pink.
i love all of you guys and gals.
i love a lot of other things too but i have to stop typing because my hand hurts from spamming the #1 button.

I really hate when somebody actually opens a positive thread once in a year and instantly there’s somebody trolling in to ruin it with negativity.

qed, several times in this thread already. Nice trolling.

OP does not understand why people are complaining, here is to OP: People have their own viewpoints and what you find enjoyable do not suit them. Few agree with you and many don’t.

a) you don’t understand that the OP created this thread because he actually likes the game. Unthinkable, isn’t it.
b) if you don’t like this game, create your own thread. Or better: just move on. There are tons of other games out there. No need to ruin it for everyone else.
c) nice try. Many agree, many don’t. Judging by the amount of players, you’d better say: many agree, a few don’t. It’s just a very vocal (annoyingly redundant) minority. The rest of us actually plays and enjoys the game.

Iruwen Evillan, Human Mesmer on Drakkar Lake

This Game Is So Amazing

Posted by: lisamee.2408

lisamee.2408

I loved the leveling system, and had fun leveling 2 characters. But once you hit fully geared 80 , unless you enjoy the steps involved in making the legendary, there is no other items in the game that i personally want to play for (make gold for). I hope they will add customizable player/guild housing. That would add tons of new items and play content to the game. It would also add lots of items to the gem shop.

This Game Is So Amazing

Posted by: Emmet.2943

Emmet.2943

To each their own i had my fun with it but their is a lot i would change about the game one of the major factors being that it is zone based and all the zones are just big boxes(how does that feel like a real breathing world….).I would be fine if the zones were actually dynamic and well thought out. Things like centaurs moving across the map and starting an invasion from the other side, due to being pushed back, doesn’t happen they just rinse repeat their same cycle. Animals migrating around the map never happens they have their spawns and they stick to them. Dragons coming in at different locations having different ways to be taken out(climbing on them, getting eaten and breaking open their stomach, shooting harpoons at it to drag it down, etc). Instead they just land in the same spot doing the same thing they did at launch. Towns being taken forcing soldiers to set up a brand new camp somewhere else barely happens. They made this big talk about dynamic events and their is almost nothing dynamic about them.

Still a fun game and one of the best mmos i have played although i will probably not be playing it to much for a long while to bring life back to it hopefully. I haven’t been able to get into it without getting bored so i have stopped logging in.

(edited by Emmet.2943)

This Game Is So Amazing

Posted by: Celtic Lady.3729

Celtic Lady.3729

There are tons of other games out there. No need to ruin it for everyone else.

Please speak for yourself. Other players expressing concerns and/or complaints with GW2 does absolutely nothing to ruin my own gaming experience. My opinions are not so easily manipulated. lol

This Game Is So Amazing

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

There’s three examples.

Dynamic Events breaking constantly
Classes very unbalanced in different aspects of the game
Culling..

Hows that?

Of everything you’ve listed, culling is the one thing that’s a legitimate concern. Class imbalance has always been a matter of opinion and yours is as good as anything else. Every profession is OP according to someone and every profession is underpowered according to someone else. I think people have no clue what it means for a profession to be balanced. And balance issues never get worked out in any game, because no matter how much you tweak the balance, someone will always been unhappy.

And yeah, sure there are some broken dynamic events here and there. Like quests in other games don’t get bugged? I guess you never played Skyrim.

There are 1500 events in the game. If 10% of them were bugged at any given time (and I don’t think that’s the case) there are still 1350 events you can do. So you skip the bugged one and play the game. Not like a single bugged event should ruin the game for anyone.

Every MMO has bugs. Most games do. This game is completely playable the way it is, with the possible exception of culling, which Anet is working on.

I think people expect too much from MMOs in general.

This Game Is So Amazing

Posted by: Tobias Trueflight.8350

Tobias Trueflight.8350

I think people expect too much from MMOs in general.

I blame marketing., and hype. I’ve had more fun with games that other people I know recommend to me than games advertising thinks I’ll enjoy. And a lot of those games are barely advertised . . . at least Minecraft was when I got into it.

Almost relevant, most of the games I enjoy aren’t made by big studios but smaller publishing houses who make games they want to make. Or, well, the team behind XCOM. (Great game, I loved it, but was really short for those of us who played the original…)

Anyway, I’m still having fun, even though I’ve really cut back my time to just playing for daily achievements and toying around with alts.

Seeking assistants for the Asuran Catapult Project. Applicants will be tested for aerodynamics.

This Game Is So Amazing

Posted by: rajjy.4832

rajjy.4832

When I play this game, I think of GW1’s Prophecies. I enjoyed the game but at the same time… Eh. Then expansions came out. GW1 became something after they whipped out more areas to explore and varying difficulty. GW2 is far from perfect, but so was GW1. This game is still very young, so I’m not gonna bash on it until I see more work done. The Karka event is my only gripe.

I’m sure that with time they’ll iron out some things as long as we give them constructive criticism.