This Game is Still New..

This Game is Still New..

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Sanira.2968

Sanira.2968

Hey Everyone,

I spend alot of time just reading the forums very rarly replying, I most of the time I see endless complaints about many aspects of the game.
This is understandable and I’m not here to debate the good and bad of the game.
I am, however, here to promote the fact this Game is still very young in its devolopment many people complain tha things are not balance ,the end game is too little, s/tpvp is pointless, my list can go on. One major thing I think people are missing is this game is what about or just under ONE YEAR OLD. Things need time to improve, (think of WoW 4 years before they released another expansion after vinilla to TBC) .

I think this game has done amazingly well, are there things to Improve. Hell Yeah, but is this game shockingly amazing for its age. Again Hell Yeah. If 90% of the post in this forums concidered the fact the game is still young many of you may start to see the potential of the game once its gets further along its life span.

I may be a GW2 nut, and rightly so this game has chage everything for me in MMORPGs I make new charaters just so I can see the new personnal story of each race and explor everything 10 times. For the first time a game lets you enjoy exploring.
(just a little bit abou what I really like).

Overall this game does need improving in a few ways but as for me I dont expect it to happen straight away, I expect It will happen further down the line. If this game gets passsed 4-5 years old, I will be looking forward to those who say bring Guild Wars " back to the way It used to be …

Anyway most wont read this, alot who do will still demand things now. I hope that at least some realise what I’m saying and start having alittle patience and see its potential not is early day flaws.

cya around,
Sanira :P

This Game is Still New..

Posted by: D I V A.6018

D I V A.6018

8 months is not new. Period.

This Game is Still New..

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

I can’t think of a single MMO that was particularly good at 8 months. most MMOs take a year or two to even become playable….if they ever become playable. WoW had serious issues for the first couple of years, but very little competition. SWToR was a disaster at this point in it’s life cycle. AoC and Warhammer took years to become playable. Lotro has many issues in it’s first years.

Anyone who says 8 months is not new isn’t paying attention.

This Game is Still New..

Posted by: Nick.6972

Nick.6972

GW1 was.
/15char

This Game is Still New..

Posted by: Vaske.2817

Vaske.2817

I can’t think of a single MMO that was particularly good at 8 months. most MMOs take a year or two to even become playable….if they ever become playable. WoW had serious issues for the first couple of years, but very little competition. SWToR was a disaster at this point in it’s life cycle. AoC and Warhammer took years to become playable. Lotro has many issues in it’s first years.

Anyone who says 8 months is not new isn’t paying attention.

Basically this, in 8 month many games are empty because a) they failed on the way and lost all players or b) they failed at the start and lost all players…so i would say that GW2 was one of most successful launched games in a long time and it is doing fine.

This Game is Still New..

Vayne.8563

GW1 was.
/15char

Point 1. Guild Wars 1 wasn’t an MMO. Anet said it’s not an MMO. It wasn’t nearly as ambitious as most MMOs were.

Point 2. Guild Wars 1 had glaring problems even if you don’t want to acknowledge them. Tons of people left that game in the first six months, including both my sons. Sorry to disappoint you but the core Guild Wars 1 crowd was a niche crowd.

Prophecies had 25 missions. How many of those missions were really good? Be honest now. How many? The only thing Guild Wars Prophecies really had going for it was the PvP. PvE-wise…it took a long time for Guild Wars 1 to get going.

So from a PvP point of view, you MIGHT have a point. From a PvE point of view, not so much.

This Game is Still New..

Posted by: Nick.6972

Nick.6972

GW1 was mostly PvP game when it launched. And after first year we already had Factions.

This Game is Still New..

Posted by: Kasama.8941

Kasama.8941

This is partly due to how ArenaNet chose to advertise the game, before it was released. Saying that they wanted sPvP to be eSport, then releasing it with next to zero support for it, is a great example of this. ArenaNet set the bar high, and so naturally, players expect great things from them.

Personally, the combat system is the main reason why I’m still playing. Content wise, I think ArenaNet are losing the battle. Sure they give us new content, and some of it is great, like Fractals, Super Adventure Box, Halloween, and Christmas. But it’s also becoming very shallow, because they have to create content for three different game modes, at the same time. Player response is a bit like; “hey, new content!”, and then two days later; “oh, that was it?”. And when players have such high expectations, shallow content isn’t going to be enough in the long run.

80 Ranger | 80 Mesmer | 80 Thief | 80 Guardian | 40 Engineer
“The learned is happy, nature to explore. The fool is happy, that he knows no more.”
-Alexander Pope

(edited by Kasama.8941)

This Game is Still New..

Posted by: Jski.6180

Jski.6180

GW1 was.
/15char

Not an mmorpg.

Main : Jski Imaginary ELE (Necromancer)
Guild : OBEY (The Legacy) I call it Obay , TLC (WvW) , UNIV (other)
Server : FA

This Game is Still New..

Posted by: Rakuren Kenshou.7689

Rakuren Kenshou.7689

I think a big issue with most of the new content is that it either feels like something that probably should have been there when the game started (like levelling up in WvW) or seems like it’s here for a few weeks and then never available again.

Personally I’m satisfied with this, but I can see how a lot of players wouldn’t be.

“I reject your reality and substitute my own.”

This Game is Still New..

Posted by: Karizee.8076

Karizee.8076

You just need to remember it only takes about 30 people to make a mess of a forums and that there is certain vested parties that are less than thrilled with the success of this game.

When you see someone with 30+ pages of posting history about being disappointed for instance, writing books and reams of slander – dedicating their waking lives to making derogatory remarks about the game, it’s clear to see there is a different agenda than customer satisfaction being served here

Cheers!

This Game is Still New..

Vayne.8563

GW1 was mostly PvP game when it launched. And after first year we already had Factions.

Right, after the first year, you had a brand new game. 100% true.

So?

The point is it wasn’t an MMO. Guild Wars 1 was in no way ambitious. To even TRY to compare the amount of content from Guild Wars 1 to Guild Wars 2 is ludicrous. Guild Wars 2 launched with more content than Prophecies and Factions PUT TOGETHER.

So the addition of Factions at the 1 year mark (adding 13 more missions to original 25 missions) isn’t really that much of a stretch.

Do you remember people complaining that Factions could be finished completely in one week? Cause I do.

This Game is Still New..

Posted by: ShinjoNaomi.1896

ShinjoNaomi.1896

You just need to remember it only takes about 30 people to make a mess of a forums and that there is certain vested parties that are less than thrilled with the success of this game.

When you see someone with 30+ pages of posting history about being disappointed for instance, writing books and reams of slander – dedicating their waking lives to making derogatory remarks about the game, it’s clear to see there is a different agenda than customer satisfaction being served here

Cheers!

So very true.
Look at just about any successful game out there and you very often find a -very- vocal minority that seem to dedicate their online lives to deriding and bashing it no matter what the developers do.

“If half as many people were half as brave in real life as they were online…
… The human race would never have to worry about be oppressed again.”
I think trolls should have their computers smashed. ’Its all part of the game. U mad bro?’

This Game is Still New..

Posted by: Sanira.2968

Sanira.2968

Im glad to see such a positive convo in this topic.
I hope more will join with their opions about this game.

and yes its a shame the a few people spend along time complaining on forums, but this is a wonderfully sucessful game and thankfully its came out soo well.

Im also enjoying hearing about GW1 never played it myself ut even then you can see the massive change anet did and how long it took them to do it.. change happends but will take some times for this young game to devolop into what everyone wants from the game.

Sanira

This Game is Still New..

Posted by: Parlourbeatflex.5970

Parlourbeatflex.5970

GW1 was.
/15char

Rose tinted glasses?

This Game is Still New..

Posted by: Kimbald.2697

Kimbald.2697

Games don’t start in a vacuum.
A new game is never compared to the state of other games when they launched.
It is compared to the state those other games are in, when the new game launches.

So the basic premasis of this topic, namely that the game is new, is not accounting for the fact it was designed with the best of other games in mind, not their infant state worst aspects.

Topics like this are a reaction to overly negative posts, but at the same time they are overly positive or ‘excusing’ because they compare GW2 to the launch of other games, not their state when this game launched.

Rest assured: the dev’s took the best state of other games into account when they tried to develop this one, I’m confident they didn’t have meetings where they said ’That’s ok, X or Y game didn’t have that at launch even though they have it now.’

New products compete with the best of the current products out there, not with how bad those other products were a long time ago.
Simple as that.

Wiggely, wobbely and other wombaty wabbity creatures…

(edited by Kimbald.2697)

This Game is Still New..

Vayne.8563

Games don’t start in a vacuum.
A new game is never compared to the state of other games when they launched.
It is compared to the state those other games are in, when the new game launches.

So the basic premasis of this topic, namely that the game is new, is not accounting for the fact it was designed with the best of other games in mind, not their infant state worst aspects.

Topics like this are a reaction to overly negative posts, but at the same time they are overly positive or ‘excusing’ because they compare GW2 to the launch of other games, not their state when this game launched.

Rest assured: the dev’s took the best state of other games into account when they tried to develop this one, I’m confident they didn’t have meetings where they said ’That’s ok, X or Y game didn’t have that at launch even though they have it now.’

New products compete with the best of the current products out there, not with how bad those other products were a long time ago.
Simple as that.

I can’t really agree with this.

First, if every single MMO has the same problems, it’s entirely possible those problems exist for a reason.

It’s like comparing a theme park that’s just being built with a theme park that’s been running for years. The odds are the older one is going to have more rides. It’s had time to work stuff out.

The reason why MMOs are all in roughly the same boat at launch is because they’re the most complex games you can make, the require the most financial investment and the most creation time and as a result, at some point, they have to launch. No one has infinite money to work on a game until it has as much content, as much polish and as much balance as a game that’s been around a while.

The problem isn’t giving games a free pass. The problem is what is and isn’t reasoanble to expect.

I’d go and say that if every MMO is suffering from the same problems, it’s much harder to blame developers than if some games didn’t have these problems and some games did.

But I’ve been on MMO forums before and they call look exactly like this one.

Since when did being reasonable become the wrong thing to do?

This Game is Still New..

Vayne.8563

so we’re excusing a game’s faults and its problems because OTHER games were the same or worse at their age of gw2? fanboys, please.

you guys are apologists- the more pressure developers have the better. if you’re not going to complain simply because the game is young then why should the developers work on the game’s problems if they see so few complaints? the only reason you pessimistikittentle snowflakes even have guild wars 2 be this good akittens age is partly because of people like us who point out the game’s problems. Although, this is not to say some complaints are not insignificant and that some faults are irrelevant.

We’re excusing nothing. We’re being realistic.

There’s not enough end game is true. For those who like end game, there’s not enough. But is this a legitimate complaint? Is it reasonable to expect a 10 month old MMO to have more end game (particularly one that didn’t advertise itself as an MMO with end game?). It’s probably not realistic to expect more.

Profession balance is a completely different story and yes, I think people can expect more to be done with profession balance than what we’ve seen so far.

It’s not about excusing faults, it’s about realistic expectations. I used to manage a computer store. I knew how long certain repairs could take. I could tell the tech team that I want every single computer repaired by 5 and I could yell at them if it wasn’t done, but it wasn’t reasonable to do so. Because some repairs take a whole lot longer than others. Without knowing what is wrong with the machines, there’s no way to tell how long it will take to fix them.

The same can be said for tracking down bugs. Anet repairs quite a few bugs every single month, but there are still bugs left. And with all the new content there are new bugs introduced as well. Is it reasonable to think most bugs would be fixed by now?

I don’t know why it should be. No other MMO has managed it.

Constructive criticism is great. Unrealistic expectations…not so much.

This Game is Still New..

Posted by: pricer.5091

pricer.5091

People who want to whine about a game usually congregate at the games official forums. Everyone else is too busy playing.

And you are where exactly? Genius. Pure genius.

This Game is Still New..

Posted by: Aegis.9724

Aegis.9724

8 months were enough to kill SWOTOR.

To be fair, time-lapse comparisons with gw1 or wow are pointless.
Wow came out 10 years ago, there were not so many competitors on the market, and surely none with a big name on their back.

Todays market is different, your quick or your dead. If people have issues with the game, they’re much less willing to cringe their teeths and wait, due to the numberless big-budget mmos on the market, many of which even f2p

This Game is Still New..

Vayne.8563

8 months were enough to kill SWOTOR.

To be fair, time-lapse comparisons with gw1 or wow are pointless.
Wow came out 10 years ago, there were not so many competitors on the market, and surely none with a big name on their back.

Todays market is different, your quick or your dead. If people have issues with the game, they’re much less willing to cringe their teeths and wait, due to the numberless big-budget mmos on the market, many of which even f2p

Most of which have issues of their own. That’s my point.

This game is what it is. It’s different from other MMOs, most of which I don’t like and won’t play. I’ve always seen the potential of the format, but never found an MMO I could call home…until now. Keep in mind I did called Guild Wars 1 home for five years. I like Guild Wars 2 better.

This game is designed for people like me. Something I can sort of enjoy at my own pace. I don’t need to keep up with anyone to do content. I don’t have to grind for anything if I don’t want to. I do what I want, when I want, with the exception of scheduled guild missions.

There’s no other MMORPG that I’d rather play than this and there are a whole lot of people who feel the same way. I’m not sure you realize how many people had given up on the MMO genre before Guild Wars 2 came out. I’m guessing it’s more than those currently playing.

This Game is Still New..

Posted by: Valanga.5942

Valanga.5942

I can’t think of a single MMO that was particularly good at 8 months.

RIFT was perfect since day one.

This Game is Still New..

Vayne.8563

Does that include the MAJOR security breach launch week that saw THOUSANDS of accounts hacked in very short order?

Does that include the first major world event Rift did for which they had to apologize?

Here’s a better question… do you remember when Rift launched and every second or third day they’d completely change the skills in skill trees? It was ridiculous.

If it was perfect, they probably wouldn’t have had to do that.

Do you remember when everyone wakittenting the planarite cap and there was nothing to spend planarite on, so no one was doing zone wide events?

Do you remember before the dungeon finder was launched, how many people were complaining that there was no group finder.

Do you remember how many people complained about getting knocked off their mounts, and being slowed when trying to run places, until Trion fixed it.

You must have a short memory.

This Game is Still New..

Posted by: tigirius.9014

tigirius.9014

Exactly, it’s coming up on the anniversary, that’s why so many are angry. If this were beta that would be different but it’s time to accept responsibility and do the right thing like adults.

It’s time to fix the loot issues and add perma DE perma metas to the rest of the world monthly instead of the LS so that they can finally offer the game they claim to, a game for all players of true choice and to actually return players to the rest of the world. No more experiments no more loot nerfs.

Balance Team: Please Fix Mine Toolbelt Positioning!

This Game is Still New..

Posted by: tigirius.9014

tigirius.9014

Does that include the MAJOR security breach launch week that saw THOUSANDS of accounts hacked in very short order?

Does that include the first major world event Rift did for which they had to apologize?

Here’s a better question… do you remember when Rift launched and every second or third day they’d completely change the skills in skill trees? It was ridiculous.

Do you remember when everyone wakittenting the planarite cap and there was nothing to spend planarite on, so no one was doing zone wide events?

Do you remember before the dungeon finder was launched, how many people were complaining that there was no group finder.

Do you remember how many people complained about getting knocked off their mounts, and being slowed when trying to run places, until Trion fixed it.

I remember because I played that game however there’s a ton of things they did to improve people’s participation in the world.

Remember how they didn’t limit loot to 0?

Remember how they DID make mobile apps complete with scratchoffs with currency and resource wins?

Remember how they did add large numbers of minigames and activities to keep players going in their world when their publisher said they were receiving profits?

Remember when they actually balanced PVE despite never separating the two types of combat?

Remember how they actually added and supported players doing solo content without the need to constantly be in a team/raid/guild for everything worthwhile and how they actually rewarded you for time spent doing things solo?

Seems like he’s not the only one with a short memory. I remember these same things happening in every other AAA MMO to date by this time or by the anniversary at the very least.

That’s not happening in this title, someone and It’s not the players who are complaining, has not learned from basic mmo development history and it shows. Businesses in every other corporate system across the planet communicate and learn from the processes and policies of their competition and adapt. This is no different.

Balance Team: Please Fix Mine Toolbelt Positioning!

This Game is Still New..

Posted by: Sovta.4719

Sovta.4719

We all know this didn’t happen to GW2. Lol

This Game is Still New..

Posted by: Fernling.1729

Fernling.1729

Sorry, we are coming close to the one year mark. This is not a new mmo anymore, not in my book at least.

This Game is Still New..

Posted by: Galtrix.7369

Galtrix.7369

First of all, it is not new. Second of all, and yes I am comparing this to WoW, Guild Wars 2 has at least 1000 times the amount of bugs/unhappy players/nerfs/unbalanced classes that WoW had akittens 8 month period. I think I only saw 3 or 4 bugs while I leveled to 90 in WoW, and they didn’t affect the gameplay much at all. However, I’ve been through at least 60+ glitches while leveling to 80, and that’s being nice, the number was probably an upwards of 100+. Again, for WoW, my class (Paladin) was nerfed exactly 3 times in 3 years and it was only because I could take on 5 or 6 players in pvp easily. Guild Wars 2: my elementalist has been nerfed countless times, and I’m tired of it. I’ve never been nerfed to the point that my character might become extinct, but Guild Wars 2 is heading for that direction. I’ve never been nerfed and lacked money as much in any mmo besides this game, and now that Anet has basically nerfed farming to the point of extinction, I can’t possibly hope to buy anything I need. I’m guessing 40% of the playerbase just went back to WoW or some other mmo. I suggest you people that received nerfs do so as well.

[~Galtrix~] [~Level 80 Elementalist~] [~GoM~]

This Game is Still New..

Posted by: Valanga.5942

Valanga.5942

A) Being slowed while knocked off by mount is called WORKING AS INTENDED.
B) We are still waiting a Dungeon Finder here… At least Trion listened to the players.
C) Do you remember the first, and second major event in Guild Wars 2… At least Trion apologised for something not gone well.

Basically, RIFT at day 1 was over 9000 times more polished than GW2 after nine months.

This Game is Still New..

Posted by: laokoko.7403

laokoko.7403

I hate to say this, when people talk trash about other game, and praise GW2.

The reality is people are doing the exact same thing on other game forum.

And people really need to check the sub or monthly logon number before they claim a game is dead. I think some game are actually doing well. Beside at least they release numbers, I’m not sure Anet released any.

And no GW2 dont’ have excuse because other game 10 years ago is bad, and it take them a few year to become good. Because there is new game come out every month. That is where the competition is.

(edited by laokoko.7403)

This Game is Still New..

Posted by: pricer.5091

pricer.5091

The actual game being what it is, is one thing. Either people will like it and keep playing or they wont. But bugs, especially major ones are another issue. They should be fixed on discovery, and yet there are still bugs here from launch.

This Game is Still New..

Posted by: laokoko.7403

laokoko.7403

First of all, I do love GW2, that is why I’m playing it. But if GW2 will take that much time to become good, maybe I should play those 10 year game which is already good.

I think GW2 is doing fine, and is pretty good now, that’s why I’m playing it. But I really hate that excuse.

This Game is Still New..

Posted by: Kichwas.7152

Kichwas.7152

I think that’s one of the very few times I’ve ever read anything but a complaint about that game.

Isn’t it one of the many MMOs that went near bankrupt after launch and had layoffs?

In fact, GW2 is one of the ONLY MMOs that hasn’t been forced to layoff large parts of its team after launch since about 2005…

This game is not perfect, but it is pretty much what they said it would be.

It just isn’t WoW 2.0, and I know that makes some people very mad…

B) We are still waiting a Dungeon Finder here… At least Trion listened to the players.

You can keep waiting then. They listened to the players here too, and so they aren’t adding that.

They’re going to make tools for us to better manually build groups in game, but not a dungeon finder.

They listened, just not to you.

http://kichwas.wordpress.com/ – GW2 Blog Presenting the Opposing View
JAH Bless – Equal Rights and Justice for all.
Justice And Honor – Tarnished Coast.

(edited by Kichwas.7152)

This Game is Still New..

Vayne.8563

I remember because I played that game however there’s a ton of things they did to improve people’s participation in the world.

Remember how they didn’t limit loot to 0?

Remember how they DID make mobile apps complete with scratchoffs with currency and resource wins?

Remember how they did add large numbers of minigames and activities to keep players going in their world when their publisher said they were receiving profits?

Remember when they actually balanced PVE despite never separating the two types of combat?

Remember how they actually added and supported players doing solo content without the need to constantly be in a team/raid/guild for everything worthwhile and how they actually rewarded you for time spent doing things solo?

Seems like he’s not the only one with a short memory. I remember these same things happening in every other AAA MMO to date by this time or by the anniversary at the very least.

That’s not happening in this title, someone and It’s not the players who are complaining, has not learned from basic mmo development history and it shows. Businesses in every other corporate system across the planet communicate and learn from the processes and policies of their competition and adapt. This is no different.

Guild Wars 2 has made improvements. You just seem to forget them.

They’ve added the preview to the auction house a huge one most people overlook. Yes, they added fractals. They added an SPvP map. They found a workaround for culling in SPvP.

And though you don’t like temporary content, there’s actually more and better temp content in Guild Wars 2 than there ever was in Rift. Maybe you don’t remember those early events month after month.

Every single event was a new currency based around a daily that was the same set of quests every day. Every single one. Not like you do it once like Southsun Cove and you get that reward. No. It’s like do this event today and every single day until you get enough to buy a mask that allows you to breathe underwater permanently.

Every event with a new currency just for that event.

Then you have the single and duo events they added…but they added them after everyone has already done dungeons so that you had already long outgeared them. You think Guild Wars 2 is faceroll easy. In the gear I was up to, those experiences were so dull, I might as well have slept through them.

Sorry but Rift was WoW 2.0. I didn’t like WoW either.

This Game is Still New..

Posted by: Torpian.9142

Torpian.9142

lol this is one of the best counter arguments I’ve read on these forums. Check and mate.

Wardens of Myth, Tarnished Coast

This Game is Still New..

Posted by: Vadavim.6409

Vadavim.6409

When looking at what Guild Wars 2 has to offer, I’m not asking for a ton new content. I just want to feel like GW2 is always changing and improving. I want to feel like, if there are balance issues or bugs with the classes I play, that I can expect updates each month to fix this. Heck, changing the meta a bit isn’t a bad thing, either!

Instead, for every good update, there were two where I went “What were they thinking?” or “That’s it?…”. I’m still remaining hopeful, though. I just wish they’d pay more attention to the classes… They all need some lovin’, and they’re the lifeblood of this game.

For an example of what I mean, just look at the trait lines for each class. For every interesting and viable combination, there are several that are just underwhelming or plain boring. I need real choice, not an illusion of choice. I know it takes time to balance something like that, but I hope they start making more steps towards fixing this in the future.