This IS insulting.

This IS insulting.

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: rapthorne.7345

rapthorne.7345

Resident smug Englishman on the NA servers, just because.

This IS insulting.

Posted by: Abe Kleine.3568

Abe Kleine.3568

Next thing you know Anet is going to say that stacking might is too complex, so were just going to give you all stacks of might for huddling near each other in a ball.

This IS insulting.

Posted by: Lobo Dela Noche.5127

Lobo Dela Noche.5127

I honestly think you guys need to calm down. Its not that big of deal, almost every MMO I’ve every played Level/Skill Point gates off their skills to help with NEW players learning the game giving them time to adapt, etc. They have tested this in China, they KNOW how their game plays to new people. As a player you only have one side of the experience, they have both ends. Why don’t you just let the people do their jobs? Its not even that big of a deal really.

It is not a big deal for you. And what people do here is called feedback, which is necessary for a game’s development. I complain about the game because I care, if I didn’t care I would simply play something else.

I’m all for feedback, and I understand that. Complaining without offering anything of a solution, however is NOT feedback it is whining. There are ways (a stickied thread even) about how to give constructive, proper feedback. That’s why I stated people needed to calm down. The world isn’t going down in flames because they are trying to make their game a little easier to play.

The solution is: Don’t change something that isn’t broken.

that’s the kicker. According to the players, it was broken.

Don’t blame Anet. blame the people who can’t learn skills.

who are these players that say its broken. I have never met one. I believe its a flat out lie or extremely misunderstood metric that is saying this. When anet/ncsoft start letting us see the data(all the data, not just a single metric) I will start believing. Until then its made up fluff to push the agenda of a couple “decision makers” that don’t play the game they are making decisions for.

Edit: They could have easily added some in game polls to ask players what they think about certain things. Like “should we add a tutorial with better instructions/descriptions or should we revamp the game for the challenged”?

(edited by Lobo Dela Noche.5127)

This IS insulting.

Posted by: Logos.1306

Logos.1306

guys new info

some Renown Hearts will change after patch.

Taking food to feed cows were too complex, so now you only have to F-click the cows.
Taking water buckets were too complex, now you only F-click the plants.
and so on..

so yeah no more fun thinks like running with water and other like that. Now we just F-click everything because this game want to be PEGI 3

This IS insulting.

Posted by: Devildoc.6721

Devildoc.6721

One of the big issues IMO is the high level cap. It should have been closer to what GW1 was and at most around level 40.

No…it should be increased to about 100. Give us more things to do and maybe stick around longer.

Raising the cap creates more problems then it prtends to solve, and solves none.

GW1 showed that you can keep the same low level cap for years and continue to add new skills, new classes, new content, everything people think requires a level cap raise, they did it while staying at level 20.

Level cap raise means they don’t expand on how much content they have available, they just replace it, making the old level 80 zones dead ghosttowns, while everyone is in the new level 100 zones.

Note we’ve been getting a few more level 80 areas, but people still go to FGS and Orr, because it’s still max level content.

Level cap increases do nothing but give the illusion of progress, while introducing new ghost town zones, new leveling zones that get used once and then left, and unnecessary power creep.

Zapp – 80 Asura Afromancer

This IS insulting.

Posted by: Windu The Forbidden One.6045

Windu The Forbidden One.6045

guys new info

Taking food to feed cows were too complex, so now you only have to F-click the cows.
and so on..

so yeah no more fun thinks like running with water and other like that. Now we just F-click everything because this game want to be PEGI 3

I would really laugh my kitten off if they actually did this.

Dear A-net: Please nerf rock. Paper is fine
~Sincerely, Scissors

This IS insulting.

Posted by: Crovax.7854

Crovax.7854

guys new info

and so on..

Newsflash: That’s actually what they did – for real.
http://youtu.be/nba4yjIp8fM?t=20m12s

This IS insulting.

guys new info

and so on..

Newsflash: “That’s actually what they did – for real.”

~Sincerely, Scissors

This IS insulting.

Posted by: LanfearShadowflame.3189

LanfearShadowflame.3189

guys new info

and so on..

Actually, based on WP’s preview… they are doing exactly this. No more feeding cows, no more watering plants. Just hit F. No more low level gathering. No more low level dodge roll or conditions from foes.

It makes me want to smack anet, but if leveling through 15 is distinctly faster, then perhaps the tutorial might not be quite so bad. I’m going to reserve judgement until I can try it myself tonight. I’m going to make a new ele (which was my first class) and take her out to QD and ‘relive’ my first days of play, so to speak, and see how I feel about the new process.

Don’t look at me like that. Whatever you’ve heard, it’s probably not true.

This IS insulting.

Posted by: Palador.2170

Palador.2170

I think they aren’t taking it far enough! But I’m not just going to complain about it. Here’s my solution.

All those armor choices – even just the visual/style aspects – just think how overwhelming that must be to new players. So I say they should do away with the three armor types. One type is all we need. Not heavy, medium, and light – just armor. And everyone should have the same armor (of the same appearance and color) until at least level 80. This will stave off the inevitable confusion about why certain characters can’t wear certain armors.

Meanwhile, they should do away with dyes altogether. Just another mind-boggling mess evidently designed to cause consternation among new players. /e smh

And then when you get into all those different stat combos on armor and weapons – who came up with that? Holy quinquepedalian trail mix, Batman! How dreadfully confusing must that be to new players? I dare say it’s edging dangerously close to being actually frightening. They certainly don’t want to scare away new players!

And all those professions? Why so many? New players will look at that and say, “What? Elementalist? What’s that do? Engineer? Mesmer? What are those things? How am I supposed to know what I want to play!” So there should only be one profession, ideally capable of using only one weapon, with one set of stats, at least until level 80, and maybe even after that. As an added benefit, that should (theoretically) take care of any further balance issues.

So, anyway, there are some ideas to help give new players of GW2 the best new player experience ever! Hope it helps.

I don’t know… these graphics can get awfully cluttered and confusing. Maybe reduce them a bit? Oh, and there’s too many dragons. Let’s cut it down to a smaller number, say three. Trahearne is confusing too, so let’s replace him with a bat.

There, now we’re all ready for our Tyrian Adventure.

Sarcasm, delivered with a
delicate, brick-like subtlety.

This IS insulting.

Posted by: PookieDaWombat.6209

PookieDaWombat.6209

guys new info

and so on..

Nope. No. Just no. That has to be a joke. Not, please let this be a joke, but more it HAS to be a joke. I cannot accept that someone thought that it was too hard to learn that you had to pick up a bundle and use it so they just did away with that.

[OTR] – Greck Howlbane – Guardian
Soraya Mayhew – Thief
Melissa Koris – Engie – SF for Life!

This IS insulting.

Posted by: Rauderi.8706

Rauderi.8706

Random Aha moment:

For all those times I heard people kvetch about WoW getting “dumbed down” because Blizz trimmed down the skill point fat and spread out the talent/ability leveling, I never considered it dumbed down. They replaced needless, trifling complications and presenting streamlined but potent choices that affected character play style.
It was simpler, yes, but it gave players choices that mattered.

…ANet, this change does nothing of the kind. There are no meaningful choices to justify this spread-out progression. All it does is hamstring the ability to explore a character, much the same as the trait redesign did. Between traits and now this, and I hate to say it, but I’m kinda hoping some heads will roll and tighten up the design team. :\

Many alts; handle it!
“I’m finding companies should sell access to forums,
it seems many like them better than the games they comment on.” -Horrorscope.7632

This IS insulting.

Posted by: Logos.1306

Logos.1306

but.. they really did.

they also removed “all enemys that required you to dodge” from starting maps. So on 1-15 maps you dont have to dodge – because it is too complex for players.

and… no more conditions on low level maps – because conditions are too complex.

I am serious!

This IS insulting.

LanfearShadowflame.3189

guys new info

and so on..

Nope. No. Just no. That has to be a joke. Not, please let this be a joke, but more it HAS to be a joke. I cannot accept that someone thought that it was too hard to learn that you had to pick up a bundle and use it so they just did away with that.

Scroll up, watch the youtube I posted.

This IS insulting.

guys new info

and so on..

Actually, based on WP’s preview… they are doing exactly this. No more feeding cows, no more watering plants. Just hit F. No more low level gathering. No more low level dodge roll or conditions from foes.

It makes me want to smack anet, but if leveling through 15 is distinctly faster, then perhaps the tutorial might not be quite so bad. I’m going to reserve judgement until I can try it myself tonight. I’m going to make a new ele (which was my first class) and take her out to QD and ‘relive’ my first days of play, so to speak, and see how I feel about the new process.

They removed dodging on low levels too!?

~Sincerely, Scissors

This IS insulting.

Posted by: Rauderi.8706

Rauderi.8706

guys new info

and so on..

Holy kitten, I noticed this already. The little staff bundle outside of Rata Sum was gone. Y’know, with all the backfiring skills? …I miss that quest thing now.

Many alts; handle it!
“I’m finding companies should sell access to forums,
it seems many like them better than the games they comment on.” -Horrorscope.7632

This IS insulting.

Posted by: Lothirieth.3408

Lothirieth.3408

:o

That is just plain sad.

This IS insulting.

Posted by: The Spiral King.2483

The Spiral King.2483

guys new info

and so on..

AHAHAHAHAHA, oh god, that really made my day. “Enemies no longer do condition damage in starting areas.” That will really help things when they go to a high level zone and get poisoned and burned for the first time.

This IS insulting.

PookieDaWombat.6209

I’ll have to watch it at home, but….GAH! dfguiosevn0 48956y3en 0v89drgyn e

ok.

Yeah.

Anet. I just…

So much hate right now.

Soraya Mayhew – Thief

This IS insulting.

LanfearShadowflame.3189

guys new info

and so on..

They removed dodging on low levels too!?

I don’t know if they removed the actual ability (prob not, but who know’s with anet), but they have removed all the foe mechanics that required you to utilize the mechanic. They actually put in a ‘dodge tutorial’ for the mechanic at a later point (not sure where exactly) to teach people how and when to use it. Which might not be a bad idea per se.

This IS insulting.

Posted by: Grok Krog.9581

Grok Krog.9581

guys new info

and so on..

I’m gonna go cry for humanity now

Grok Walking Amongst Mere Mortals

This IS insulting.

LanfearShadowflame.3189

ok.

Yeah.

Anet. I just…

So much hate right now.

Breathe Pook, it might not be…. so bad.

Oh hell, who am I kidding.

Anet, put the bundles and the gathering back in. Just give us some pop ups and tool tips that tell morons what to do! Just use simple terms!

This IS insulting.

Posted by: Leo Paul.1659

Leo Paul.1659

guys new info

and so on..

WHAT?! This can’t be serious. facepalm

Queen Of The Moors (Blackgate)
Deaths Fear [Fear] / The Hardcore Caravan [HC]
Forum Warrior: Black Belt in Ninja Edits

This IS insulting.

I know not everyone may be as gifted at this as us but come on..
PEOPLE CAN’T BE THIS STUPID! I don’t buy it!

~Sincerely, Scissors

This IS insulting.

Posted by: Tachenon.5270

Tachenon.5270

Trahearne is confusing too, so let’s replace him with a bat.

Yes! Bats would save this game. Bats.

Attachments:

The table is a fable.

This IS insulting.

Posted by: Kysin.6349

Kysin.6349

guys new info

and so on..

This is my nightmare… I will never level an alt again!

http://33.media.tumblr.com/39c392655244256d6e46bd99abec9fee/tumblr_naoc89ZYbQ1sxcu9lo2_250.gif

Co-leader of Knights of Eminence[Sir] – PvX
Reap The Weak[Reap] – WvW 5-man havok
-Blackgate

This IS insulting.

Posted by: Palador.2170

Palador.2170

I know not everyone may be as gifted at this as us but come on..
PEOPLE CAN’T BE THIS STUPID! I don’t buy it!

Well, we know at least one person at ANet thinks this is a good idea, so one way or another I guess some people ARE that stupid.

Sarcasm, delivered with a
delicate, brick-like subtlety.

This IS insulting.

Posted by: Mesket.5728

Mesket.5728

I feel sorry for my alts and really sorry for the new players… this game was great.

Zerk is the average Joe build. Don’t pat yourself in the back too hard.

This IS insulting.

Posted by: Sogradde.8016

Sogradde.8016

That’s what you get, when you cater to the masses instead of enthusiasts.
GW2 has never been a game “for gamers by gamers”, it’s a game for the Farmville/Angry Birds audience.

It’s really no surprise if your test players fail at simple mechanics, when these are the people you are marketing the game to.

Midnight Mayhem [MM]
Gunnar’s Hold

This IS insulting.

Posted by: Neko Dudley.2495

Neko Dudley.2495

guys new info

and so on..

That is truly horrifying.

Gate of Madness [MAL] EB
Yarr! I be keeping me pirate runes, Matey. Yarr! You’re welcome. Yarr!

This IS insulting.

Posted by: ipan.4356

ipan.4356

Well, at least it is absolutely, abundantly clear now what Anet intends to do with the game.

These changes highlight their direction and focus extremely clearly, so at least we are no longer left wondering about it.

/uninstalled.

Hello Archeage, hello Star Citizen.

This IS insulting.

Posted by: Ergolicious.1507

Ergolicious.1507

And I love making alts, I got 20 already. It’s really the only way to keep the game fun for me.

/facepalm

This IS insulting.

Posted by: The Spiral King.2483

The Spiral King.2483

Well, at least it is absolutely, abundantly clear now what Anet intends to do with the game.

These changes highlight their direction and focus extremely clearly, so at least we are no longer left wondering about it.

/uninstalled.

And people were whining about how there’s no communication between the players and Anet. There’s plenty being communicated here, they just can’t use their werds so gud.

This IS insulting.

Posted by: Ergolicious.1507

Ergolicious.1507

/uninstalled.

Apparently Archease isn’t gonna be the holy grale everyone’s been hoping for, at all… And regarding Star Citizen, I tried the Alpha: the game looks great but it requires some LUDICROUS monster computer to run even remotely smoothly on low performance…

This IS insulting.

Posted by: Lobo Dela Noche.5127

Lobo Dela Noche.5127

That video wow. I have been thinking SWG NGE lately but now its official. The leveling changes, the trait system, skill system, everything. They went and did what SOE showed everyone not to do.

At least they have China to subsidize the cost and megaserver to give the illusion of population.

This IS insulting.

Posted by: Rouven.7409

Rouven.7409

Yeah, those games will die very fast anyways, way too many skills.

Ok, ok, questionable humour aside – @ ipan: What do you think has changed in terms of direction? For the most part this is exactly what I was expecting in terms of direction (not the details obviously).

“Whose Kitten is this?” – “It’s a Charr baby.”
“Whose Charr is this?”- “Ted’s.”
“Who’s Ted?”- “Ted’s dead, baby. Ted’s dead.”

This IS insulting.

Posted by: Corpus Christi.2057

Corpus Christi.2057

Well, no one knows what AA will be like. It premieres on 16 Sept, though, plus it’s free – no harm if you try it. Our guild definitely will ( what’s remaining of it in GW2, to be precise lol ).

Three 80-lvl Rangers. Why? ‘Cos they’re that cool.

This IS insulting.

Posted by: Funky.4861

Funky.4861

This is just breathtakingly bad. Are they catering to 5-year olds now? I wasn’t going to comment but the no-dodge, no condi’s is just massively retrograde thinking. People don’t start learning to swim in 2 inches of water! The SOONER ESSENTIAL GAME MECHANICS are introduced to new players THE BETTER.

insert epic facepalm image

This IS insulting.

Posted by: Paradox.1380

Paradox.1380

AA was fun for awhile, I’ll be honest there, but unless you’re all in for that pvp there’s not much for you to do, also there is no pve servers. =/ You have to pvp or avoid large areas of the map to stay “safe,” But, I also have a hard time doing pvp of any kind so that is why I wont’ play it much if at all.

-It’s Lady Paradox- Sweet Adrenaline
“What Part Of Living Says You Gotta Die?
I Plan On Burnin Through Another 9 Lives”

This IS insulting.

Posted by: Blude.6812

Blude.6812

They have to dumb it down so they can make a console version.

This IS insulting.

Posted by: daxcip.2609

daxcip.2609

Lol that is really a shame. Maybe on next feature pack they will announce automatic fighting from lvl 1-10 with a voice over tutorial beacause ppl could be scared of pressing wrong buttons.

tbh maybe as a new player you have already read about gw2 and its gameplay before and there are some things you are exited about. And everything you get when you start the game is. Yeah…. beacause you are maybe too stupid to understand these things you have to reach lvl xx first. And also hiding elements behind some lvl just to let them pop out of nowhere won’t help any person who may really got some problems to understand some of them.

(edited by daxcip.2609)

This IS insulting.

Posted by: Crovax.7854

Crovax.7854

Ok, ok, questionable humour aside – @ ipan: What do you think has changed in terms of direction? For the most part this is exactly what I was expecting in terms of direction (not the details obviously).

In case you don’t play since release or didn’t see any pre release material:
The game was heavily marketed towards hardcore gamers. Dungeons were supposed to take a lot of time and skill. The even want so far as to claim they were so hard, that repair cost was considered a major gold sink.
The combat was marketed to be of the dark souls type (=heavy emphasis on dodges, timed attacks and hard hitting, yet telegraphed enemy blows).

What they did was a total 180.

This IS insulting.

Posted by: Syosha.5917

Syosha.5917

I’ve been on the fence for a while now, and what pushed me over was the whole SAB issue, confirmation of no more dungeon development (aside from maybe the occasional fractal), and the lack of communication and what it took to finally get them to talk to us.

Couple that with the new information I’ve seen today….yeah, thank you Anet for solidifying my decision to quit the game when I did. I finally see where this game is going, and it’s not for me. I had so much love and respect for you guys….not any more.

This IS insulting.

PookieDaWombat.6209

ok.

Yeah.

Anet. I just…

So much hate right now.

Breathe Pook, it might not be…. so bad.

Oh hell, who am I kidding.

Anet, put the bundles and the gathering back in. Just give us some pop ups and tool tips that tell morons what to do! Just use simple terms!

Yeah, because reading the heart flavor text must have been HORRIBLE. I mean, they could have just put a big glowing red box around it to make sure people read things. and then did them. sigh

I’m with ya on this. i just don’t know what Anet was thinking here. This makes the trait nonsense pale in comparison.

So are they taking SB out of the swamp or just not giving it AOE? Or making it hit like a wet noodle? Metrica Fire Elemental is going to be even goofier.

Soraya Mayhew – Thief

This IS insulting.

Posted by: Aenaos.8160

Aenaos.8160

It’s not insulting.
But it is indicative of the way people that make decisions about the game think and
of the people that test these changes out and give feedback before going live.
As a gamer I couldn’t feel more apart from them,it’s like I’m on different gaming planet.
And then there is the way all this is served and marketed and the explanations given
by devs.Exquiz me dear madams/sirs but this is utter BS.
You don’t need 2 levels to swing a weapon skill again and again,you don’t need 11(!) levels to learn what a utility skill does,you don’t need to play for 30 levels without any traits,I’m pretty sure that you can handle pressing F to harvest a node without overloading your precious brain,and you don’t need all this dead time between new features being introduced to you.
If anything, GW2 gameplay is really easy to get accustomed with,and the process of
acquiring new ability slots/traits was already too slow.
As an old player,getting to level alts and checking new classes will be an excruciating experience.
Given these changes GW2 has the most dumbed down leveling for new players,and the most pain in the kitten leveling for old players.Check and check.
This is remarkable and worthy of one more award and accolade!

P.S Hodor.

-Win a pip,lose a pip,win a pip,lose a pip,lose a pip,
lose a pip,win 2 pips,lose a pip,lose a pip…………..-
-Go go Espartz.-

(edited by Aenaos.8160)

This IS insulting.

Posted by: JonnyBlu.3486

JonnyBlu.3486

If you just want to click on the cow and win fine…. but at least leave people the option to do it the fun way..

This is just sad.

This IS insulting.

Posted by: Jaken.6801

Jaken.6801

Okay…
I am so lucky that i have all my characters at a moderate level that i do not have to go through these “tutorials”

Even as something to ease in new players these whole systems are way over the top, as they make fundamental parts of the game mechanics completly useless for the first few levels.

- Downstate…:
something that is crucial to understand is pushed back, becaus eit is too hard? Well, if it is hard at level 1 then it will be hard at level 5 as well.
Better introduction instead of gating…

- Later introduction to enviromental weapons:
The world is filled with these things. everywhere are these items which will change your skillbar. EVERYWHERE… why are you changing the renown hearts whicha re supposed to introduce you to these systems?

- Gating the skills:
Now that is just to have people get more “ting” on their level up. Seriously… The skills are unlocked based on how many enemie you kill with a certain weapon.
If that is too fast and new players dont learn their skills, just change the amount of enemies to kill and dont gate it behind levels?
Why even do that? the old system was fine. Do people need rewards so desperate?
Maybe you want to get people to switch weapons more often, like if you level up you get a new mace skill, which allows you to have one skill more then your sword. Yay, i level the mace now….

- Gating PvP, WvW and the Wardrobe?
Why? Guild Wars 1 and 2 promoted itself with: “Play the way you want right from the start.”
If someone wants to play PvP, then he has the right to fall on his face on his own.
If his first decision is after buying the game to ignore PvE and jump right into PvP, then it is his own choice.
Same goes for WvW… learning by doing. There is a warning for these modes with a reason

I am sorry. I do not get most of these changes. Sure, it might be confusing for new players, but let me tell you what: “Everything new is confusing.”
This is dumbing down and subsequently devalueing the great fundament the game has.

How about a survey? Ingame? Like in the beta? Asking the comunity? Asking new players? Trusting veterans to help new players? Promoting playing together? Better tutorials?

Downstate problem? Put a forced downstate in the tutorial segment. Have a popo up explaing it and there will be no confusion. The player is in a secure enviroment, slowly healing if he uses his skill and will be intoduced to the system…

This IS insulting.

Posted by: Rouven.7409

Rouven.7409

In case you don’t play since release or didn’t see any pre release material:
The game was heavily marketed towards hardcore gamers. Dungeons were supposed to take a lot of time and skill. The even want so far as to claim they were so hard, that repair cost was considered a major gold sink.
The combat was marketed to be of the dark souls type (=heavy emphasis on dodges, timed attacks and hard hitting, yet telegraphed enemy blows).

What they did was a total 180.

I am playing since release and I saw pre-release material. It came across to me as a very casual game that I would not have to run dungeons and the like etc for in order to obtain BIS gear (this has changed a tad but for the purpose here it’s old news) and nothing would be gated for me. I expected a bit more from the personal housing instance but that’s about it.

You have an emphasis on dodges, hard hitting bosses and telegraphs. Ok, I mostly don’t see them in open world and the zerg makes dodging often irrelevant and of course it it possible to … utilize game mechanics to circumvent things … but for many players I would say this is still a reality?

This feature patch is sort of similar to the last one, so I don’t see what majorly changed in direction since then.

Note, I’m not saying to improve dungeons etc, I understand disappointment for things that not happened.

“Whose Kitten is this?” – “It’s a Charr baby.”
“Whose Charr is this?”- “Ted’s.”
“Who’s Ted?”- “Ted’s dead, baby. Ted’s dead.”

This IS insulting.

LanfearShadowflame.3189

So are they taking SB out of the swamp or just not giving it AOE? Or making it hit like a wet noodle? Metrica Fire Elemental is going to be even goofier.

Ye Gods, I hadn’t thought about these!

Shadow Behemoth
Fire Ele
Maw
Jungle Wurm

Um, Anet..we need some clarification on these starter zone WBs. Ugh, it would suck if these lost their statuses. I don’t think they need to be dumbed down, and they’d make excellent tutorials for map meta events, but I’m definitely concerned for their continued existence.

This IS insulting.

Posted by: Selene.9415

Selene.9415

They should have at least tried a full tutorial (similar to GW Factions/Nightfall) that can be skipped if you’re an experienced player…