This Mobility Nerf...

This Mobility Nerf...

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Purple Miku.7032

Purple Miku.7032

Yeah, trust me when I say that almost every single person I know that plays/has played warrior since the mobility nerf finds it dreadfully slow now. Those threads are very justified and while I have no data to back up the claim of “most of us feel this way,” I think the responses on this thread and any others pertaining to the mobility changes along with the responses given when asking people ingame, on my stream chat, and on forums indicate that this is a very unpopular change.

Thanks for the information about the in combat vs out of combat speed though guys.

This Mobility Nerf...

Posted by: Torqiseknite.1380

Torqiseknite.1380

Being in combat gives a movement speed debuff of ~28% (294 units/second out of combat, 210 units/second in combat).

Did you test this yourself? I’m curious, as I’m too lazy to myself tbh.

I did, though this was a long time ago, before the patch. The combat speed reduction also interacted with movement speed buffs like swiftness or the +25% traits; since those in turn used to affect movement skills, it had a moderately noticeable effect on in-combat mobility. It’s no longer possible to reproduce it, though, and I hadn’t tested it immediately before the patch, so my data could be off.

As for everyone feeling slower, I think most Warriors have been testing their movement skills out of combat rather than in combat; Whirlwind Attack and Rush were also often used as initial gap-closers, and they’re significantly worse at those roles now due to being slower out-of-combat. This is just conjecture, however, so it’s entirely possible that I’m the one that’s wrong.

Either way, I also dislike this change, as it removes some counterplay for movement skills (especially for professions which lack consistent gap-closers of their own, and have to rely on things like chill or cripple to slow down fleeing opponents) and has been equally bad on the quality-of-life side, making out-of-combat movement that much more tedious.

This Mobility Nerf...

Posted by: DeceiverX.8361

DeceiverX.8361

As to why they changed it:

They changed it because of the slow condition. As it was before, any changes to animation speed caused by quickness would cause the animations to move faster and thus end shorter than normal. With the implementation of slow, a user could presumably have super speed and be slowed down and use a mobility skill, gaining absolutely silly amounts of movement from a condition that is supposed to be harmful. Consider the effects of super speed slowed down rocket boots or even just a GS sprint slowed down (50% extra distance basically) or somesuch nonsense.

While I disagree with how this was handled as well, I can understand the reasoning as a means of preventing huge issues and delaying the patch. That said, delaying the patch might have been a good idea >.>

This Mobility Nerf...

Posted by: Manimarco Devil.1790

Manimarco Devil.1790

The only people who are going to respond to this QQ thread are other people who also are QQing therefore you can no data except it is unpopular amongst people you have “talked” to which is probably an incredibly low sample size. People who don’t frequent the forums or even care are not likely to respond or interact with you about the topic.
Oh and by the way this is purely a warrior QQ thread as they are the profession that most abundantly use their non-targetted dashed to move around so don’t try to claim you care about any of the other classes. The only other class that was somewhat affected was ele’s FGS. Thieves and mesmers are light armor classes that would die very quickly without their blinks but warriors have no excuse with their stances and mobility.
Furthermore clearly conveying information about distance traveled will always trump your feels about running around. Skills that are supposed to go a set distance but then awkwardly are cut short by last second chill or cripple feel unrewarding. Inversely, trying to do something to a target when you have no cripple or chill and they just dash miles away is equally frustrating. Atleast the standardization makes interactions consistent for competitive environments.

Battlelord Taeres

This Mobility Nerf...

Posted by: Waar Kijk Je Naar.8713

Waar Kijk Je Naar.8713

Main warrior here. This change is great, and it’s not a nerf.

IT’S A SWORD. THEY’RE NOT MEANT TO BE SAFE.

This Mobility Nerf...

Posted by: Basandra Skye.4031

Basandra Skye.4031

Such QQ in this thread about counterplay suddenly not being there. Well, you know what stops people from using movement skills? Immobilization. It’s a simple matter of l2immob.

This Mobility Nerf...

Posted by: TheDuck.4526

TheDuck.4526

Such QQ in this thread about counterplay suddenly not being there. Well, you know what stops people from using movement skills? Immobilization. It’s a simple matter of l2immob.

New Warrior’s Sprint trait breaks Immob when using a movement skill. Har har har!

This Mobility Nerf...

Purple Miku.7032

@Manimarco

Why would you include anyone’s opinion if you don’t even know what theirs is? Who cares if there are people not posting on the forums how they feel about the update if you don’t even know what they’d say? Like, how does it have anything to do with this thread? This thread is specifically for venting frustration about an update I disagree with and want changed.

The only input that matters is the input provided from the people that decide to give it, and the overwhelming majority of all people who’ve commented on this change be it on the forums, reddit, or wherever, are people who disagree with it.

It doesn’t matter whether or not people are more likely to post on forums if they’re upset about something rather than vice versa. There were tons of people lashing out at Anet for their expansion prepurchasing shenanigans and their input wasn’t in vain. The concept is the exact same, just that one had real life money involved and this one does not.

And it really doesn’t matter how much you want to call it a warrior QQ thread – fact of the matter is this nerf hurts eles the most between warrior and ele, because ele had access to super speed which was superb with FGS but can never be used again. Warrior’s main mobility skills that got ruined were Rush and Bull’s Charge, as the nerf primarily destroyed all movement skills greater than 600 range.

“Skills that are supposed to go a set distance but then awkwardly are cut short by last second chill or cripple feel unrewarding.”

Yeah so… that sounds awfully familiar to the point so many of us here were trying to make… try casting movement skills with swiftness now and see how rewarding they feel, knowing you can nearly outrun the skills by just taking your hands off the keyboard, leaning back in your chair and watching your character go with autorun on instead.

“Inversely, trying to do something to a target when you have no cripple or chill and they just dash miles away is equally frustrating.”

Ok… so it’s less frustrating to use cripple and chill on someone and have them able to freely leap/dash away at normal run speed instead? Your logic is falling apart here unfortunately.

(edited by Purple Miku.7032)

This Mobility Nerf...

Posted by: Fenda.1398

Fenda.1398

Just be grateful that you still can jump anywhere. I main thief and i used to jump / mountain goat just about anywhere and then some just because of Runes of the Trapper and Withdraw executed while jumping. Meanwhile Warrior’s Savage Leap (Sword #2) and most others dont only reach 600 units like shwon in the tooltip but rather 730 units. So you guys still have it easy to be honest.

I´m now bound to obey the rules of gravity again. It was fun while it lasted, being able to take shortcuts only Engis, Eles, Warriors, Guardians and Rangers could take (Obsidian Sanctum for the most part), but all by myself and with no external input like Fiery Axe, FGS oder LH involved.

I swear if i ever get to put Slow on myself… tested it already, the distance you reach with Savage Leap is ludicrous when under the effects of Slow. Sadly Slow does not help me with my jumping shenanigans when playing thief, because while it does increase the range of Withdraw / Roll for Initiative, it neither affects the speed i reach my destionation, nor does it help with gravitational loss of altitude, causing me to drop from the sky like a heat shielded toilet seat from the ISS regardless of being Slow’ed.

Thus, ArenaNet, PLEASE. Bring back the old interactions between all movement skills and speed increases / decreases. Not just for the sake of jumping, but also for combat healthiness – you basicly removed counterplay from those skills when talking WvW / PvP, and its not like classes like Warrior have been overly harmed by Cripple and Chill in the first place. But if we were to talking jumping and mountain goating… fix it where it harms the game, e.g. Dungeons, and – the most important part – fix it properly. Not meant as an insult at all, but if someone finds kitten in the map, allowing this person to execute a void jump, then you should close the hole instead of drawing even more invisible barriers all over the place if you really really really dislike people taking exploration to the absolute limit. Is it really that bad if people want to climb the highest mountain? Is it so harmful to have people standing on top of various otherwise unreachable places, where the only real advantage is that these people have an incredibly splendid, panoramic view over your beautiful cities and valleys? Yes there are a lot of graphical bugs involved, but there are just as many outlooks which are worth the hassle. Just as an example: Having a view over Lion`s Arch from the big concrete walls or the ray-shaped airport thingy is worth it over 9000 times. Even if you see that the interior of the airport is just a big, ugly hole. But thats because, you know, you normally don´t get to see it. Thus it cannot be a bad thing. Anyone who breaks out of maps knows what he is doing and thus shouldnt be disturbed by breaking his or hers immersion

Just as Purple Miku said… the change didnt do anything but excluding poor sad asuran lady thief (alias “me”) from natural goating. And it harmed combat situations more than it helped imo.

This Mobility Nerf...

Posted by: Chobiko.9182

Chobiko.9182

-snip-
Thus, ArenaNet, PLEASE. Bring back the old interactions between all movement skills and speed increases / decreases. Not just for the sake of jumping, but also for combat healthiness – you basicly removed counterplay from those skills when talking WvW / PvP, and its not like classes like Warrior have been overly harmed by Cripple and Chill in the first place. But if we were to talking jumping and mountain goating… fix it where it harms the game, e.g. Dungeons, and – the most important part – fix it properly. Not meant as an insult at all, but if someone finds kitten in the map, allowing this person to execute a void jump, then you should close the hole instead of drawing even more invisible barriers all over the place if you really really really dislike people taking exploration to the absolute limit. Is it really that bad if people want to climb the highest mountain? Is it so harmful to have people standing on top of various otherwise unreachable places, where the only real advantage is that these people have an incredibly splendid, panoramic view over your beautiful cities and valleys? Yes there are a lot of graphical bugs involved, but there are just as many outlooks which are worth the hassle. Just as an example: Having a view over Lion`s Arch from the big concrete walls or the ray-shaped airport thingy is worth it over 9000 times. Even if you see that the interior of the airport is just a big, ugly hole. But thats because, you know, you normally don´t get to see it. Thus it cannot be a bad thing. Anyone who breaks out of maps knows what he is doing and thus shouldnt be disturbed by breaking his or hers immersion

Just as Purple Miku said… the change didnt do anything but excluding poor sad asuran lady thief (alias “me”) from natural goating. And it harmed combat situations more than it helped imo.

There are two problems with people breaking out of maps. 1. There are a lot of breakouts possible, they tried to fix as many as they could without having to redraw the assets affected (i.e. using invisible walls), but still people find ways to break out. Most of these were related to movement speed’s interaction with leaps. No matter how many times they fix a broken place someone will find another way. Of course they could have played the cat and mouse game, but to what end? It takes up a lot of dev time patching exploit holes.

Now you ask how can it be so harmful? As you mention there are dungeon exploits, then there are jp exploits. Then you have WvW exploits, which are arguably the worst.

In PvP we saw another issue with movement speed. With swiftness anyone could reach certain places where they could not be targeted but still wreak havoc with ranged attacks.

In HoT we will most likely see map design that is a bit fragile, because they intend to have gliders access certain areas not accessible otherwise. These areas could potentially be reached through speed affected leaps.

Then you have the introduction of slow. Since they stack with swiftness and superspeed they could have removed the movement effect on either, but then there would be no uniformity. So they decided to remove all influence on movement abilities to make it easier to predict and understand.

I can understand people disagree with the change, and feel like it’s a bad change, but that doesn’t change the fact that it was needed to fix a lot of existing and potential loopholes in the game.

Sure you can’t move as fast accross a map as you once did. And in PvP you have to adapt by using interrupts or immobilizes when someone is using a movement skill.

Btb. I also believe they’ll fix the teleport gun at some point soon (they might just remove or nerf the distance traveled with it.

This Mobility Nerf...

Posted by: Chobiko.9182

Chobiko.9182

-snip-

There are a few problems with people breaking out of maps. First off, there are a lot of places in Tyria where you can break out of a map, they tried to fix as many as they could without having to redraw the assets affected (i.e. using invisible walls), but still people find ways to break out. Most of these were related to movement speed’s interaction with leaps. No matter how many times they fix a broken place someone will find another way. Of course they could have played the cat and mouse game, but to what end? It takes up a lot of dev time patching exploit holes.

Now you ask how can it be so harmful? As you mention there are dungeon exploits, then there are jp exploits. Then you have WvW exploits, which are arguably the worst.

In PvP we saw another issue with movement speed. With swiftness anyone could reach certain places where they could not be targeted but still wreak havoc with ranged attacks.

In HoT we will most likely see map design that is a bit fragile, because they intend to have gliders access certain areas not accessible otherwise. These areas could potentially be reached through speed affected leaps.

Then you have the introduction of slow. Since they stack with swiftness and superspeed they could have removed the movement effect on either, but then there would be no uniformity. So they decided to remove all influence on movement abilities to make it easier to predict and understand.

I can understand people disagree with the change, and feel like it’s a bad change, but that doesn’t change the fact that it was needed to fix a lot of existing and potential loopholes in the game.

Sure you can’t move as fast accross a map as you once did. And in PvP you have to adapt by using interrupts or immobilizes when someone is using a movement skill.

Btb. I also believe they’ll fix the teleport gun at some point soon (they might just remove or nerf the distance traveled with it.

This Mobility Nerf...

Posted by: fracture.9754

fracture.9754

How can this even be a discussion, this update was horrible…for everyone. Not just warriors, also eles, especially necros, guards, …

This Mobility Nerf...

Posted by: Vikkela.7261

Vikkela.7261

How can this even be a discussion, this update was horrible…for everyone. Not just warriors, also eles, especially necros, guards, …

Didn’t even notice a change with Guardian…

9 Guardians later…

This Mobility Nerf...

Posted by: Setay.2135

Setay.2135

This was an excellent change. Mobility skills on weapons were not put in the game to move around a map quickly. They were there for combat hence why they were on weapon skills.

Swiftness and 25% run speed increase your map crossing skills.

Weapon move abilities should in fact move you a certain distance every time. That’s their job and what they are supposed to do. I’m unsure why this is a problem…

This Mobility Nerf...

Posted by: fracture.9754

fracture.9754

Perhaps you should get off your staff and actually use a useful weapon from time to time.

This Mobility Nerf...

Posted by: Vikkela.7261

Vikkela.7261

Perhaps you should get off your staff and actually use a useful weapon from time to time.

Got 5 Guardians, I use all weapons, and I don’t use Staff in PvE as you seem to be implying since you are calling it useless.

9 Guardians later…

This Mobility Nerf...

Posted by: DarkSyze.8627

DarkSyze.8627

" Solutions To A Problem Can Only Be Found, When You Want To Get Rid Of It "
Ankur

(edited by DarkSyze.8627)

This Mobility Nerf...

Posted by: fireflyry.7023

fireflyry.7023

The main problem here for me is how long it has taken to make these changes.

I don’t believe for a second it has to do with HoT. If it actually does that’s one of the sloppiest and laziest fixes for bad game design I’ve ever heard of considering firstly it’s not even out yet, and secondly HoT should have been designed with this mechanic in mind.

Same goes for exploits. Fix the actual exploit! Don’t punish and slow down the whole game and playerbase because a small minority abuse the mechanic in niche’ circumstances. Again that just comes across as an incredibly lazy fix.

Anet seemingly have this horrible trend of giving players fun, freedom and presumably established game mechanics for years only to then make sweeping and retroactive changes under the mantra of “improvement for the overall game” while for the individual player it’s yet again taking away an aspect or mechanic that they enjoyed while imposing restrictions WAY too far after the fact.

It’s the NPE all over again.

It’s really a mickey mouse way of going about things that only serves to annoy a lot of pre-established and long-term players and justified or not it reeks of being either completely disorganised, highly arrogant or far to concerned with this fantastical influx of “new players” coming to the game Anet keeps catering for at the expense of those that actually matter.

NB:The funeral reception for my Thief is at 2pm sharp.Please bring a plate.He should turn up around 5pm.

If your having adventurer problems I feel bad for you son, I dodged 99 arrows till my knee took one.

This Mobility Nerf...

Posted by: Royale.5863

Royale.5863

I multiclass, though I do enjoy playing my hammer/gs warrior. Great change. Fantastic change.

This Mobility Nerf...

Posted by: Eponet.4829

Eponet.4829

Well, this does certainly help with getting the ranger sword 3 skill to hit.

This Mobility Nerf...

Manimarco Devil.1790

@Purple Miku

Forums will always tend to have complaining threads since people who enjoy the game are more likely to simple just play. These forums aren’t exactly interesting enough to come on daily and discuss the game for average player and guild/team features are already integrated into the game so you don’t need to come to the forums to post for that either. What you are left with are just people who have come on to complain about some thing or another and expect the devs to change it because they now feel like some sort of majority. lol if you think reddit is any different.

The movement skills should feel rewarding … in combat. Warriors and eles still maintain the ability to quickly re-position once combat has started. My scenarios were while in combat these things feel frustrating and your counter is what? You feel bad that you can’t run as far with swiftness on in/out of combat? The only classes that felt a significant change were ones that abused this to move around further than what I can only assume Anet intended.(“In order to make these skills more reliable in combat and prevent unintended behavior”) I play guardian and I have noticed very little change whatsoever. Even GS #2 with swiftness was not that amazing of a leap because of the CD.

And I already referenced this but clearly conveying information is Anet’s reason for this change. If you even bothered to watch the Ready Up? (I think) that clarified this change they specifically mentioned ground targeted leaps like Hammer burst that carried a huge impact did not appropriately match the distance it visually gives you.

Battlelord Taeres

This Mobility Nerf...

Posted by: Kal Spiro.9745

Kal Spiro.9745

I love how this is a nerf and not a buff, considering that conditions that would have made your powers fall short don’t do that anymore also. This is not a nerf, it’s not a buff, it is balance and stabilizing something that was probably never intended.

How about you all just get learn to adapt. You’re adapting to all the other changes, what’s one more?

Tarnished Coast Kal Spiro – Ranger (80), LB/S-D, Eagle/Wolf, Signet, M/S/WS #SABorRiot
|Daredevil|Ranger|Guardian|Scrapper|Necromancer|Berserker|Dragonhunter|Mesmer|Elementalist
|Deadeye|Warrior|Herald|Daredevil|Reaper|Spellbreaker

This Mobility Nerf...

Posted by: Surbrus.6942

Surbrus.6942

I hate this change as well, it removes a bit of complexity from the game that otherwise is sourly lacking in depth. No more cripple to counter Eviscerates or Heartseekers, or movement impairing conditions to impair movement skills. No more comboing movement skills with swiftness to go faster.

There is one hilariously unintended thing about this though. Quickness and Slow both affect the distance and speed of movement skills, however in the opposite way you would think. While under the affects of Quickness, movement skills are horribly nerffed, a Warrior GS5 rush looks pathetic. However under the affects of Slow, the movement is buffed massively, a Warrior GS5 rush while subject to Slow will rocket the Warrior nearly twice the distance that GS5 rush normally would do.

While funny, this gives off a lot of second hand embarrassment, that something so clearly unintended remains while something that simply added depth to the game was removed for the sake of CONFUSED NEW PLAYERS or an equally terrible and painful to listen to justification.

This Mobility Nerf...

Posted by: Demolition Man.4107

Demolition Man.4107

People are writing romans here, but i have only 2 words: Garbage Update!

This Mobility Nerf...

Kal Spiro.9745

I hate this change as well, it removes a bit of complexity from the game that otherwise is sourly lacking in depth. No more cripple to counter Eviscerates or Heartseekers, or movement impairing conditions to impair movement skills. No more comboing movement skills with swiftness to go faster.

There is one hilariously unintended thing about this though. Quickness and Slow both affect the distance and speed of movement skills, however in the opposite way you would think. While under the affects of Quickness, movement skills are horribly nerffed, a Warrior GS5 rush looks pathetic. However under the affects of Slow, the movement is buffed massively, a Warrior GS5 rush while subject to Slow will rocket the Warrior nearly twice the distance that GS5 rush normally would do.

While funny, this gives off a lot of second hand embarrassment, that something so clearly unintended remains while something that simply added depth to the game was removed for the sake of CONFUSED NEW PLAYERS or an equally terrible and painful to listen to justification.

Actually this is a pretty obvious bug for it’s purpose. It’s basically all Chill’s fault. Quickness and Slow, obviously, were accidentally added to the list of effected skills. Since they were never designed to change movement speed, by reducing the buff that didn’t exist Quickness now cuts your distance, by reducing up the nerf that didn’t exist Slow now increases distance.

All they should need to do is alter a variable and these will be restored. Sending in a bug report would be advisable.

Tarnished Coast Kal Spiro – Ranger (80), LB/S-D, Eagle/Wolf, Signet, M/S/WS #SABorRiot
|Daredevil|Ranger|Guardian|Scrapper|Necromancer|Berserker|Dragonhunter|Mesmer|Elementalist

This Mobility Nerf...

Posted by: RobsterCraws.6405

RobsterCraws.6405

Can someone explain exactly what happened? All I know is my guardians is suddenly slower than everyone around me.

This Mobility Nerf...

Posted by: Fenda.1398

Fenda.1398

[snip]
[snippety]

Thats only partially right.

Before the June 23rd update, the following would have been the case:

1. Change of movement speed: Many Movement skills scaling linear with Chill, Cripple, Swiftness, Fleet Shadow, Super Speed, while some only scale up to Swiftness level (133% absolute speed). This affected travelling speed and distance while the time to execute was the same.

2. Change of animation execution speed: Most Movement skills scaling linear with Quickness and Slow. This affected travelling distance and time to execute, while the travelling speed stayed the same.

You see, there really are 2 compounds to this dilemma. Decrease or increase of distance travelled because of altered travelling speed, or because of altered execution time.

However, the June 23rd update removed compount 1.) on all movement skills availiable to players without external influence (including conjured weaponry). We are left with the annoyance of Quickness causing a nerf of movement skills (just as Surbrus said), but only because the time needed to execute the animation gets altered. The travelling speed remains the same.
A slowed Warrior GS#5 increases it’s range by about 50%, from 1200 to 1800.
A slowed Warrior S#2 causes matrix-style aerial flight time, increasing the range from about 730 to about 1095 – with loss of altitude slowly tuning in from 730 and onward.

This also seems to include all effects which come with the execution of skills:
Thief’s Withdraw and Roll for Initiative evade for half an eternity across half an eternity.
Dodge Rolls may receive the same benefit

This opens up some interesting questions though:
Will Ele’s FGS Rush, Burning Speed and Burning Retreat cast more of their small fire AoEs? Will Elite Skills not only last longer, but also pulse Stability more often?

We’re left with a borked mechanic opening a can of worms to be honest. Take a look at Lupicus, that poor bugger doesnt even survive his first grub cast. Take a look at the Molten Berserker in the Molten Facility boss fractal – his Shockwaves travel at half speed while ticking at the same rate, causing unlucky players to be instagibbed (at least it looked like that, more intensive testing needed). And while i think of it, the Chronomancers moving projectile reflecting barrier may last 50% longer because of this. Revenants front reflector may be longer. Heck, even a Guardian’s Wall of Reflect may be influenced when casted under the effects of Slow. [Testing needed xD] Some projectile- and AoE-based attacks may receive a dislocation of animation vs actual hitbox…

All in all, the changes should be reverted and Slow / Quickness should have been the effects which do not affect movement skills at all, or only affect them in their respective way while keeping the distance travelled at a constant value, just like how those skills work when being Crippled, Chilled or doped with Super Speed.

This Mobility Nerf...

Kal Spiro.9745

Can someone explain exactly what happened? All I know is my guardians is suddenly slower than everyone around me.

Guardians are slow, how is that a change? It is more difficult to stack boons, though because Guardians lost the trait that made boons last longer.

This Mobility Nerf...

Posted by: frednought.1238

frednought.1238

I can see the reasoning behind the change, even if I don’t like it. Map-breaking, whatever.

I don’t see why, if that’s the problem, they don’t just compensate by having skills always move the same distance, but at different speeds depending on speed status. Still a nerf to warriors, probably, but lets swiftness and cripples alike remain rewarding on some level.

This Mobility Nerf...

Posted by: Harper.4173

Harper.4173

The reason I feel they made this ( bad ) change was to create a more predictable combat environment – where you can more easily predict and adapt to what your opponent will do.

Also it makes it easier to predict how far they will go and where they’ll be positioned by normalizing these skills.

If here they fall they shall live on when ever you cry “For Ascalon!”

This Mobility Nerf...

Kal Spiro.9745

Ugh, why can’t they just stop balancing things so I don’t have an advantage anymore?

This Mobility Nerf...

Purple Miku.7032

This was an excellent change. Mobility skills on weapons were not put in the game to move around a map quickly. They were there for combat hence why they were on weapon skills.

Err, what? So you’re trying to say skills created for the sole purpose of mobility aren’t intended to be used for mobility. That’s basically what you just typed.

The movement skills should feel rewarding … in combat.

Chilling and crippling your enemy should also feel rewarding, but now they don’t serve their intended purpose. It makes no sense for someone impaired to limp around in slow motion then suddenly burst out in a dash. This isn’t rewarding, this is illogical.

I love how this is a nerf and not a buff, considering that conditions that would have made your powers fall short don’t do that anymore also. This is not a nerf, it’s not a buff, it is balance and stabilizing something that was probably never intended.

It nerfs the majority of all situations in which the average player uses mobility skills. It buffs mobility when you’re applied movement impairing conditions in combat, but it nerfs mobility when you’re in combat and not applied with any movement impairing conditions, and nerfs mobility when you’re out of combat altogether. This is an overall nerf.

And if it wasn’t intended for swiftness to affect distance traveled from using mobility skills, then it wouldn’t have been this way for 3 years. Regardless of how easy it would be for devs to miss something when testing content, it’s literally impossible for them to have gotten this far without noticing it.

This Mobility Nerf...

Posted by: Zephyra.4709

Zephyra.4709

It nerfs the majority of all situations in which the average player uses mobility skills. It buffs mobility when you’re applied movement impairing conditions in combat, but it nerfs mobility when you’re in combat and not applied with any movement impairing conditions, and nerfs mobility when you’re out of combat altogether. This is an overall nerf.

This. This. A thousand times this.

That nike warrior can simply nike warrior away with movement impending skills even more like nothing ever happened when I’ve specifically applied cripple/chilled to them to IMPAIR their movement speed. Wrong in so many ways. What a sluggish, horrific nerf. No one wins in the end with this.

This Mobility Nerf...

Posted by: Odyssey.2613

Odyssey.2613

I believe they said they done this so skills match what they say it does.

If a skill says it moves you 900 you go 900, swiftness made you overshoot this number with slows making it go less than stated.

I think this is why decided to go ahead and gut mobility.

Or they could have added tooltip descriptions to say it’s reduced or propelled by movement speed. : O I thought Anet love tweaking tooltips? :’ )

Basically what you’r saying is Anet changed the game around to match tooltips instead of editing tooltips to match the game?

The dev team has proven they can’t balance a 2×4 on a cinder block.

This Mobility Nerf...

Posted by: ReaverKane.7598

ReaverKane.7598

Ok, i’ll explain this, i shouldn’t have, but i will.
This isn’t about nerfing where you can go, the “mobility nerf” (actually a mobility fix) is a by-product of a deeper changed that HAD to be introduced, specially because of at least one elite specialization.

As warrior i’m surprised you don’t welcome this change. I myself was sick of using Charge/leap attacks that should put me close to my foes (well in range) and stop short because of a random cripple or chill effect.

Now think that REAPER has pretty much a ton of chills (intended to make it harder to run away from him) that would make it nearly impossible to close on them with such type of skills, making a LOT of skills and weapon choices less valid against him.

This was a great improvement, with the not so great side-effect of clearing up unintended mobility boons on some skills.

Basically what you’r saying is Anet changed the game around to match tooltips instead of editing tooltips to match the game?

He’s saying that Arena Net fixed the game to match what they intended to happen.

This Mobility Nerf...

Kal Spiro.9745

And if it wasn’t intended for swiftness to affect distance traveled from using mobility skills, then it wouldn’t have been this way for 3 years. Regardless of how easy it would be for devs to miss something when testing content, it’s literally impossible for them to have gotten this far without noticing it.

All the minor bugs that have been in the game since launch, like this, beg to differ. It’s entirely possible that, for whatever reason, they didn’t actually have the tech they needed to fix this bug until now. So, sorry, but your assertion isn’t valid.

I believe they said they done this so skills match what they say it does.

If a skill says it moves you 900 you go 900, swiftness made you overshoot this number with slows making it go less than stated.

I think this is why decided to go ahead and gut mobility.

Or they could have added tooltip descriptions to say it’s reduced or propelled by movement speed. : O I thought Anet love tweaking tooltips? :’ )

No, they changed the game around to match their intent for how the game should work, as described in the tool tips, rather than allowing an obvious bug that has been enjoyed for far too long to persist when they had to opportunity to fix it.

(edited by Kal Spiro.9745)

This Mobility Nerf...

Purple Miku.7032

That makes literally no sense. If they had the ability to make swiftness affect mobility skills in the first place then obviously they had the ability to make it not do so as well. What on earth are you talking about… not having the technology. Are you kidding me lol?

It’s not a matter of this been unintended all along, it’s a matter of them deciding to change it out of the blue after 3 years.

This Mobility Nerf...

Posted by: TheLastNobody.8319

TheLastNobody.8319

Ok, i’ll explain this, i shouldn’t have, but i will.
This isn’t about nerfing where you can go, the “mobility nerf” (actually a mobility fix) is a by-product of a deeper changed that HAD to be introduced, specially because of at least one elite specialization.

As warrior i’m surprised you don’t welcome this change. I myself was sick of using Charge/leap attacks that should put me close to my foes (well in range) and stop short because of a random cripple or chill effect.

Now think that REAPER has pretty much a ton of chills (intended to make it harder to run away from him) that would make it nearly impossible to close on them with such type of skills, making a LOT of skills and weapon choices less valid against him.

This was a great improvement, with the not so great side-effect of clearing up unintended mobility boons on some skills.

He’s saying that Arena Net fixed the game to match what they intended to happen.

…you have got to be kidding me, please tell me this is a joke post.

A knight in shining armor is a man who never had his metal truly tested.

This Mobility Nerf...

Manimarco Devil.1790

Chilling and crippling your enemy should also feel rewarding, but now they don’t serve their intended purpose. It makes no sense for someone impaired to limp around in slow motion then suddenly burst out in a dash. This isn’t rewarding, this is illogical.

First of all, I like how you enjoyed the majority of my post to cherry pick some line to fit some BS argument.

Secondly, chill and cripple are still rewarding but in different ways. Dashing is not the only way to get around in combat in fact a majority of the time character do this thing called running and those conditions still hamper that (on top of which chill increases CDs). The mobility skills in combat are no longer affected by such things IN COMBAT so it allows the class to function as anet intended. (ex. warrior is very focused on melee when in GS so this allows some ability to stick to targets.) This means that these skills were intended to be tools for people to make their class’s kits work in combat not to spam swiftness and run around the map and getting to places they shouldn’t.

Battlelord Taeres

(edited by Manimarco Devil.1790)

This Mobility Nerf...

Kal Spiro.9745

That makes literally no sense. If they had the ability to make swiftness affect mobility skills in the first place then obviously they had the ability to make it not do so as well. What on earth are you talking about… not having the technology. Are you kidding me lol?

It’s not a matter of this been unintended all along, it’s a matter of them deciding to change it out of the blue after 3 years.

I don’t think you understand what a bug is, nor how programming works.

This Mobility Nerf...

Purple Miku.7032

First of all, I like how you enjoyed the majority of my post to cherry pick some line to fit some BS argument.

Secondly, chill and cripple are still rewarding but in different ways. Dashing is not the only way to get around in combat in fact a majority of the time character do this thing called running and those conditions still hamper that (on top of which chill increases CDs). The mobility skills in combat are no longer affected by such things IN COMBAT so it allows the class to function as anet intended. (ex. warrior is very focused on melee when in GS so this allows some ability to stick to targets.) This means that these skills were intended to be tools for people to make their class’s kits work in combat not to spam swiftness and run around the map and getting to places they shouldn’t.

I ignored most of your post because I disagreed with 99% of it. What’s the point in going back and forth about something if it’s already been settled that there’s literally no chance in agreeing with each other?

For example in this post, you completely disagree with me and say that anet intended warriors all along to be able to ignore chill/cripple and leap all over the place regardless of whether or not they have them. You base your opinion off of the fact that they now changed it after 3 years, when you don’t even know if the same people that made everything function the way it used to even work at anet even more.

Claiming that this is what they intended all along is your opinion, not a fact.

Additionally, claiming that mobility skills weren’t intended to be used when out of combat is only your opinion. You have nothing to base this off of at all. If skills on this game weren’t intended to be used outside of combat, we wouldn’t be able to cast anything without being in combat.

I don’t think you understand what a bug is, nor how programming works.

A nice baseless assumption about me when you have no idea who I am, to let me know that you don’t really have any interest in being relevant to the topic. Cool.

This Mobility Nerf...

Manimarco Devil.1790

I ignored most of your post because I disagreed with 99% of it. What’s the point in going back and forth about something if it’s already been settled that there’s literally no chance in agreeing with each other?

For example in this post, you completely disagree with me and say that anet intended warriors all along to be able to ignore chill/cripple and leap all over the place regardless of whether or not they have them. You base your opinion off of the fact that they now changed it after 3 years, when you don’t even know if the same people that made everything function the way it used to even work at anet even more.

Claiming that this is what they intended all along is your opinion, not a fact.

Additionally, claiming that mobility skills weren’t intended to be used when out of combat is only your opinion. You have nothing to base this off of at all. If skills on this game weren’t intended to be used outside of combat, we wouldn’t be able to cast anything without being in combat.

Alright I’m done here, there is no reasoning with a wall. All I’m going to end with is that they literally state in the blog that this change is to stop unintended interactions, the only part that is conjecture is the in combat bit. It really shows how unreasonably you are looking at the entire thing when you take “not being able to use mobility skills to reach unintended locations and only for in combat mobility/re-position” to “why use any skill at all out of combat”. The fact you can’t see a difference is enough to let me know there’s nothing to deal with here.

In case Anet even looks at this thread, I for one support the changes and hope they remain in place.

Battlelord Taeres

This Mobility Nerf...

Purple Miku.7032

If you actually read the first post of the thread, you’d see that I specificaly stated that nerfing the mobility skills by not enabling swiftness to apply to leaps does NOTHING to prevent people from breaking out of the map.

The nerf primarily affects mobility skills that are greater than 600 range. Warrior GS rush is 1200 and cannot be used to reach unintended locations regardless, as it’s not a leap. Same thing with fiery whirl – so why do these need to be nerfed? For consistency? Please, spare me.

And you said:

“This means that these skills were intended to be tools for people to make their class’s kits work in combat not to spam swiftness and run around the map and getting to places they shouldn’t.”

This implies that to you these skills are only intended to be used for repositioning themselves in combat.

If this not what you intended to get across, then perhaps you should put a little thought into what you’re typing before you click the reply button.

Once again:

“This means that these skills were intended to be tools for people to make their class’s kits work in combat not to spam swiftness and run around the map and getting to places they shouldn’t.”

You said it, not me.