This game has completely lost its way...

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: The Stain.4169

The Stain.4169

I am hesitant to start another thread critical of this game…in a forum already buried in them. But I tried to play off and on today and just found myself shaking my head… At least as far as PVE is concerned.

Farming has been completely nerfed everywhere. Southsun is deserted of human players with all 4 of the major town events perpetually active (contested). The simple fact is that these events cannot even be attempted without a zerg of at least 20 players. And the WPs don’t show contested, so it is all too easy to WP in and insta-die. What is the future of Southsun? Is this it? As it stands now it is nothing more than a waste of bandwidth…

Curse Shore is all fouled up. Many events are completely gone…others are so messed up that no one even attempts them anymore (Risen Abomination, Grenth, etc). Today Jofast was permanently contested with no events spawning to deal with that. The few events that still start up in Cursed Shore are so far apart that there is no point even in waiting for them. If you do try to do one, you will be almost alone.

So Anet, what are PVE players supposed to do? You don’t want us to farm, I get it. So are we supposed to run around Lion’s Arch endlessing smacking dragon Pinatas and lighting fireworks? Is that NOT farming in the new GW2? What is the point in endlessly eating dragon-taffy and making upset stomach sounds? To hopefully earn holographic dragon wings? Seriously? I am completely bored and disgusted with the “Dragon Day” crap already and it only started a couple of days ago.

The game is still OK if I can manage to put together a dungeon group, but for me that is usually not an option. WVW is probably still OK, but I wouldn’t know because I don’t play much of that.

I guess I have made my point. From my point of view, single player PVE has come completely off the tracks. It has happened because of totally counterproductive changes that I do not understand the reasons for. If this was the same game it was 5 months ago I would be happily playing and avoiding negative forum posts….

(edited by The Stain.4169)

Posted by: Terok.7315

Terok.7315

You need to slow down and get world completion blah blah blah..

Yea, I haven’t really played the game in several months. I log in to see what the fuss is all about with the events, then I go back to playing other games while waiting for patches that fix necromancer. But I have to wonder, even if my class is ever fixed — what will I do with it? Twiddle my thumbs until the next event? Meh.

Vile Necromancer||Defender of the Beastgate||Slayer of Moa’s

The Stain.4169

My feeling, and it is just a feeling, is this. I think it matters little to Anet if people who have already purchased the game are playing anymore, unless their playing is bringing in revenue (gem purchases). Since they already have the purchase price of the game, the goal now is to somehow increase gem purchases even if they alienate players in the process. Why should they care if players leave who are no longer generating income?

I am not trying to be overly cynical, I think the changes to this game have simply been the result of nuts and bolts business decisions about how to keep the game earning.

Maybe they are right….because they already have my money for buying the game. Unless they can somehow manipulate me into buying gems they are not going to make any more from me. That’s business.

Posted by: ASB.4295

ASB.4295

So Anet, what are PVE players supposed to do?

Why, farm slower of course. The longer the farm takes, the longer progression lasts.

Posted by: Rama.6439

Rama.6439

My feeling, and it is just a feeling, is this. I think it matters little to Anet if people who have already purchased the game are playing anymore, unless their playing is bringing in revenue (gem purchases). Since they already have the purchase price of the game, the goal now is to somehow increase gem purchases even if they alienate players in the process. Why should they care if players leave who are no longer generating income?

I am not trying to be overly cynical, I think the changes to this game have simply been the result of nuts and bolts business decisions about how to keep the game earning.

Maybe they are right….because they already have my money for buying the game. Unless they can somehow manipulate me into buying gems they are not going to make any more from me. That’s business.

I’m with you on this, I think that they don’t actually care what the players really want, at least most of Anet don’t, cause I myself and a lot of the other players I talk to don’t care much for “temp” content, cause it upsets new players, and they don’t get to be involved in past “temp” content. It’s like punishing them for not being here from the start. And that is very lame.
I know that a lot of us want permanent content, stuff that is added to the game to be left in-game, not added for a couple of weeks then removed, that is a tease and cruel, I think it is just a way for them to make money and stupid people don’t get it, or they do and just don’t care and that’s what pises me off.

So Anet, what are PVE players supposed to do?

Why, farm slower of course. The longer the farm takes, the longer progression lasts.

Progression in this game is the biggest joke in any MMO out there…

Arcubus Balefire – 80 Guardian
Välkyri – 80 Warrior
JQ[Lulz] – Kill fur Thrillz…

Posted by: Zelulose.8695

Zelulose.8695

Gw2 has as many potential buyers as players. This is not a money issue as much as it is a game developer issue.

Lucky Leaf, Ángël, Clergyman, Side Kick -Lets make Gw2 a better game

Posted by: Galtrix.7369

Galtrix.7369

Yeah, no more progression since I hit 80 and got all exotic armor. I don’t even want to try getting ascended gear, since it’s utterly pointless. I have the same feeling with the legendary weapons. I’ve been playing WoW, Rift, and some other games until Guild Wars 2 actually gets better… which it probably won’t anytime soon. I realized that I was actually sad while playing Guild Wars 2 because I didn’t have any feeling of real accomplishment at all. Switching from GW2 to other games was the best decision ever and it made me happy.

[~Galtrix~] [~Level 80 Elementalist~] [~GoM~]

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

All of the things everyone above has listed is WHY I play Guild Wars 2. Because in games where that’s the norm, I don’t end up staying.

Yep, the farmers and end game progression people are definitely unhappy, and they’re not shy to say so. Okay.

That doesn’t make Guild Wars 2 a bad game. That makes Guild Wars 2 a good game for some people. The very things you detest are the very things that I look forward too.

Take the complaints about bashing pinatas.

If you go and bash every single pinata to get an achievement all at once, it’s boring as hell. If you bash some pinatas every single time you go to LA within the time limit of the festival, you’ll probably get the achievment for it without grinding.

You could stand and farm projectors on day one when everyone was doing it, or just sort of roam around and get them WHILE playing. You don’t have to farm these things. Most of them you’ll get.

I get it. You want to sit in Orr and run the same event chains over and over. And I’m sad that you can’t do it. I’m not saying that in just either. I wish you could play that way…but that you can’t doesn’t make Guild Wars 2 a bad game. It makes it a game unsuited to your play style.

Where as Rift and WoW are totally unsuited to mine.

Posted by: Silentsins.3726

Silentsins.3726

I’m with you on this, I think that they don’t actually care what the players really want, at least most of Anet don’t, cause I myself and a lot of the other players I talk to don’t care much for “temp” content, cause it upsets new players, and they don’t get to be involved in past “temp” content. It’s like punishing them for not being here from the start. And that is very lame.

Eh, I’d be more inclined to believe that the devs simply put an inordinately high priority on the economy and the war on bots. How many games can claim to have an in-house economist on the payroll? The problem with that is that the economy in this game is pretty poor overall:
http://massively.joystiq.com/2013/04/29/virtual-world-economist-says-guild-wars-2s-pre-endgame-economy/
… and perhaps they’re underestimating exactly how negative an effect a lot of their anti-farming changes have on the average player. People get grumpy when their variable-ratio reinforcement schedules get tampered with after all, and the perception that in game activities aren’t worthwhile is pretty damaging.

The regular world drop rate should be close to where Southsun was with the Magic Find buff imo, either that or cut some of the mystic forge recipe costs in half. Earning these items purely through drops should feel more like a tangible goal than it does now.

Posted by: Talenna.4052

Talenna.4052

All of the things everyone above has listed is WHY I play Guild Wars 2. Because in games where that’s the norm, I don’t end up staying.

Yep, the farmers and end game progression people are definitely unhappy, and they’re not shy to say so. Okay.

That doesn’t make Guild Wars 2 a bad game. That makes Guild Wars 2 a good game for some people. The very things you detest are the very things that I look forward too.

If you go and bash every single pinata to get an achievement all at once, it’s boring as hell. If you bash some pinatas every single time you go to LA within the time limit of the festival, you’ll probably get the achievment for it without grinding.

You could stand and farm projectors on day one when everyone was doing it, or just sort of roam around and get them WHILE playing. You don’t have to farm these things. Most of them you’ll get.

I get it. You want to sit in Orr and run the same event chains over and over. And I’m sad that you can’t do it. I’m not saying that in just either. I wish you could play that way…but that you can’t doesn’t make Guild Wars 2 a bad game. It makes it a game unsuited to your play style.

I agree. GW2 is perfect my play style.

Just give me guild halls and personal housing that I can decorate with game items and I will play this beautiful game for years.

Terok.7315

You’re contending that the current state of things is intentional design and not just bad priorities on the developers part? I think if the majority of players felt the same way, you would end up feeling a bit lonely. MMO players have certain expectations regarding online games. Meaningful and challenging content ranks pretty high I’d wager (honestly, games of all stripes need challenge or it isn’t really a game but a simulator), because without such content you don’t have any fun — the fun is derived from the challenge.

All the same, I literally can’t imagine any of the developers chiming in on this thread and saying: “We’re fully committed to focusing on more light-hearted and easily dispatched content in lieu of PvP and PvE content. We feel our playerbase prefers leveling and gearing their characters only to hit the F key on interactable objects”.

Oh well, I have cities to build and ore to mine until things get back on track. I just hope it’s sooner rather than later.

Vayne.8563

You’re contending that the current state of things is intentional design and not just bad priorities on the developers part? I think if the majority of players felt the same way, you would end up feeling a bit lonely. MMO players have certain expectations regarding online games. Meaningful and challenging content ranks pretty high I’d wager (honestly, games of all stripes need challenge or it isn’t really a game but a simulator), because without such content you don’t have any fun — the fun is derived from the challenge.

All the same, I literally can’t imagine any of the developers chiming in on this thread and saying: “We’re fully committed to focusing on more light-hearted and easily dispatched content in lieu of PvP and PvE content. We feel our playerbase prefers leveling and gearing their characters only to hit the F key on interactable objects”.

Oh well, I have cities to build and ore to mine until things get back on track. I just hope it’s sooner rather than later.

I agree. MMOs have a certain expectation…and MMOs have always been niche games. More people hate MMOs than like them. It’s always been the case. There was a pretty big study done and the worlds gamers was listed at about 200 million at a time when WoW had 12.4 million subscribers. MMOs are niche because they basically suck for most gamers.

Guild Wars 2 has done a pretty good job of getting non-MMOers to try an MMO. Remember, before this game I’d yet to find an MMO I like.

So MAYBE (not definitely) the majority of MMO players do have expectations. But how many MMO players are tired of the tried and and true MMO too. My son played Guild Wars 2 for six months after years of WoW. He said he’d never go back to a WoW type MMO.

Sure, some people LIKE MMOs the way they were, but they’re definitely NOT the majority of gamers. Which means that Guild Wars 2, by disappointed a large number of MMO players might just be going in the right direction.

Terok.7315

I agree. MMOs have a certain expectation…and MMOs have always been niche games. More people hate MMOs than like them. It’s always been the case. There was a pretty big study done and the worlds gamers was listed at about 200 million at a time when WoW had 12.4 million subscribers. MMOs are niche because they basically suck for most gamers.

Guild Wars 2 has done a pretty good job of getting non-MMOers to try an MMO. Remember, before this game I’d yet to find an MMO I like.

So MAYBE (not definitely) the majority of MMO players do have expectations. But how many MMO players are tired of the tried and and true MMO too. My son played Guild Wars 2 for six months after years of WoW. He said he’d never go back to a WoW type MMO.

Sure, some people LIKE MMOs the way they were, but they’re definitely NOT the majority of gamers. Which means that Guild Wars 2, by disappointed a large number of MMO players might just be going in the right direction.

I should have been a bit more specific it would seem. I didn’t mean to imply that MMO gamers want all their online games to be identical. I know a good chunk of us are here fleeing from the blight known only as “gear grinds”. I only meant that some things are constant. Politicians will always lie, your Xbox 360 will eventually redlight, and online games present you with a challenging endgame after having invested time and planning into your character.

Vayne.8563

I should have been a bit more specific it would seem. I didn’t mean to imply that MMO gamers want all their online games to be identical. I know a good chunk of us are here fleeing from the blight known only as “gear grinds”. I only meant that some things are constant. Politicians will always lie, your Xbox 360 will eventually redlight, and online games present you with a challenging endgame after having invested time and planning into your character.

And yet, for most people, in most MMO challenging end game remains unplayed. So the most vocal percentage of the population that wants this represents actually a very small percentage of the playerbase. How do I know?

Well aside from various polls over the years, Ghostcrawler has gone on recording saying that only 5% of the population ever finish the hardest content in WoW. We know it’s a small percentage.

Those who want that stuff can’t imagine why people who play MMOs don’t, but most people who play MMOs could care less.

I bet if you took a poll of Guild Wars 2 players that have beaten ANY Arah story mode, it would be less than 25% of the population.

The casual base of any MMO is always much higher than the hard core base.

The Stain.4169

I try to be honest with myself…am I getting disgusted with the game because I am tired of it, or because of Anet’s constant tweeking of it to my detriment. I honestly think it is the later.

It is not exactly that I “like” farming (although it is relaxing in a mindless sort of way if kept in limited doses)but I am driven by long term goals in games of this sort. Be it legendary weapons, map completion, completion of all jumping puzzles, whatever.

What I don’t like is that Anet keeps “changing the rules” and making long term goals less and less realistic…bordering on impossible… It is sort of like having people on a long, difficult hike and constantly moving the finish line.

Most of all, I dislike the feeling that we are being manipulated. I know Anet needs to make money, and they have every right to do so. But they seem to be finding ways to do so that are completely indifferent to what the majority of players want.

Meh, our opinions of the changes to the game are well known here. I am sure Anet has read most of them. Apparently our opinions change nothing. In my case I think it is time to either stop complaining and play the game, or dump it and find another one. Simple as that.

Terok.7315

And yet, for most people, in most MMO challenging end game remains unplayed. So the most vocal percentage of the population that wants this represents actually a very small percentage of the playerbase. How do I know?

Well aside from various polls over the years, Ghostcrawler has gone on recording saying that only 5% of the population ever finish the hardest content in WoW. We know it’s a small percentage.

Those who want that stuff can’t imagine why people who play MMOs don’t, but most people who play MMOs could care less.

I bet if you took a poll of Guild Wars 2 players that have beaten ANY Arah story mode, it would be less than 25% of the population.

Although this really seems like conjecture, even if I gave you the benefit of the doubt and agreed with you that most MMO’s are propped up by its casual playerbase — what exactly does that mean? I call myself a “casual” gamer and I’m not to thrilled that there isn’t anything left to challenge me, to entertain me. Hell, the terms “casual” and “hardcore” are so subjective they may as well have no meaning.

Posted by: Shadow Blade.1324

Shadow Blade.1324

How many games can claim to have an in-house economist on the payroll? The problem with that is that the economy in this game is pretty poor overall

quite a few actually have economists now, valve has an in house economist, as does bungie but CCP did it first iirc and Eve has a rock solid economy, more games should learn from its implementation for example why don’t we have access to the graphs showing price changes over time? we know the data exists, john smith references it all the time, but we have to go to external websites for many of the features that should be available in game.

i think you mean explorable as there is only one story mode, and it is required to finish your personal story

i wish the devs had a consistent vision and didn’t push out content they know is flawed

The Stain.4169

I would like this explained:

Why does Anet discourage farming of the sort that took place in Cursed Shore? Here you had events that involved some teamwork and strategy, had enough variety that they were not overly boring, etc. This is discouraged…

But at the same time, Anet actively encourages farming by running around mindlessly smashing pinatas or eating candy hundreds of times? Or by repeatedly battling “holo-creatures” wherein every encounter is exactly the same? Who would enjoy that sort of thing? It is utterly repetitious and boring.

No matter how I try to dismantle this, I cannot fathom why Anet is so in love with cheesy, simple, mindless temp content. Maybe it is seen as a way to keep players “engaged” while keeping programming/development costs as low as possible?

Posted by: Chuo.4238

Chuo.4238

No matter how I try to dismantle this, I cannot fathom why Anet is so in love with cheesy, simple, mindless temp content. Maybe it is seen as a way to keep players “engaged” while keeping programming/development costs as low as possible?

That’s probably as good an explanation as we’re ever gonna get.

This game just feels halfdonkeyed (well, they’ve put solid effort into the kitten filter, anyway). The quality is mediocre, the content is minimal, and there’s a clear impression that if you don’t play ArenaNet’s way then you’re doing it wrong.

If you like it, and ArenaNet doesn’t, they nerf it. If you hate it, but they want you to do it, ArenaNet buffs it. That sales pitch of “play how you like, your own way” was complete bollocks.

Seriously, this game just feels like minimum effort, maximum hype to try and keep a few blokes with some extra cash buying gems. I’m pretty sure that, as far as ArenaNet care, the rest of us can just sod off. I truly don’t believe that they care about actually making a good game and a great community any more.

I can’t play it any more, either. I log on and stare, and if I attempt to do something, I just wind up annoyed at a clunky class mechanic, lack of customization, or just the lack of imagination that’s gone into anything. This game does not stimulate my brain, at all.

Dungeons have got to the point where you need X class with Y build – so in all practicality, I have no idea what’s the difference between that and other games that require Z class with Q build to complete their trinity.

SAB was the most fun I’ve had in GW2 in months, and arguably SAB is not even GW2.

Wow…so after that rambling rant…I agree with the OP insofar as this game has no direction…although arguably it never had one to lose…

(edited by Chuo.4238)

Vayne.8563

I try to be honest with myself…am I getting disgusted with the game because I am tired of it, or because of Anet’s constant tweeking of it to my detriment. I honestly think it is the later.

It is not exactly that I “like” farming (although it is relaxing in a mindless sort of way if kept in limited doses)but I am driven by long term goals in games of this sort. Be it legendary weapons, map completion, completion of all jumping puzzles, whatever.

What I don’t like is that Anet keeps “changing the rules” and making long term goals less and less realistic…bordering on impossible… It is sort of like having people on a long, difficult hike and constantly moving the finish line.

Most of all, I dislike the feeling that we are being manipulated. I know Anet needs to make money, and they have every right to do so. But they seem to be finding ways to do so that are completely indifferent to what the majority of players want.

Meh, our opinions of the changes to the game are well known here. I am sure Anet has read most of them. Apparently our opinions change nothing. In my case I think it is time to either stop complaining and play the game, or dump it and find another one. Simple as that.

With the most recent change Anet made, it’s now profitable again to farm T5 mats and transform them using dust from ectos in the T6 mats you need. It’ll probably end up being FASTER than farming T6 mats used to be. Certainly not much slower.

Sometimes you need to adapt. MMOs change all the time but that doesn’t mean they necessarily get harder. They do get harder if you want to continue to do things one way instead of another. What’s so bad now about farming T5 mats and transmuting?

And don’t tell me there’s no where in the world to farm T5 mats.

Vayne.8563

Although this really seems like conjecture, even if I gave you the benefit of the doubt and agreed with you that most MMO’s are propped up by its casual playerbase — what exactly does that mean? I call myself a “casual” gamer and I’m not to thrilled that there isn’t anything left to challenge me, to entertain me. Hell, the terms “casual” and “hardcore” are so subjective they may as well have no meaning.

There are lots of people who have commented on this, including game developers over the years. It’s clear to see that they’re tweaking EVERY MMO to be more casual.

You have two options to consider. 1. Every MMO developer has no clue what it’s doing and they’re all idiots or 2. They know what percentage of their playerbase is doing what. I’d go with the latter.

We have the Ghostcrawler quote about how many people do the hardest content in WoW, we have Scott Hartman from Rift commenting that no MMO can afford to ignore people who play MMOs solo, and we even have in the GW 2 FAQ a question and answer about whether or not you can solo the game.

Do you really have any idea of how many people play MMOs like a solo game. If you don’t, you might think no one else does, but than why do you have lead developers saying those people couldn’t be ignored. Why was Rift forced to create solo instances to keep their player base. Why do other games add solo dungeons (AoC for example).

There are so many solo players it’s not funny. In fact, over the years, I’ve seen not one or two, but dozens of polls about raiding. Do you know, I’ve never ever ever seen a poll were half or next to half the player base raid at all or consider themselves raiders? In most games, the percentage of players who raid has always been under 25%….and in most polls way under.

You claim this is speculation but I’ve had a chance to get information about stuff that’s been said at panels in Game Developer forums. You don’t have to believe me. I don’t even expect you to believe me, but even if you don’t…look at what the developers do, not at what they say.

I think you’ll agree that most popular MMOs are “dumbed down”. Games like Eve…500,000 subs and that’s the most they’ve ever had. That’s a long, long way from the 12.4 million that played WoW at it’s height. And people always complain how dumbed down WoW has become. Raid finder anyone?

Posted by: Unpredictability.4086

Unpredictability.4086

They need to work on consolidating dead servers in PvE to actually promote doing dynamic events. I lost a lot of interest in GW2 months ago… and as such I haven’t even finished my personal story or done anything in Cursed Shore. Doesn’t help that I’m on Necro either and there have no shakeups to Death Shroud. I’m waiting for the fix like the poster above), but I have to wonder, when I come back, will of the PvE content I haven’t done be impossible since everybody has already moved on? They need to work on making dead areas truly more populated, and not by making a stupid daily. I know every area has players in them, maybe not a ton, but they are too far spread between servers.

Vayne.8563

They need to work on consolidating dead servers in PvE to actually promote doing dynamic events. I lost a lot of interest in GW2 months ago… and as such I haven’t even finished my personal story or done anything in Cursed Shore. Doesn’t help that I’m on Necro either and there have no shakeups to Death Shroud. I’m waiting for the fix like the poster above), but I have to wonder, when I come back, will of the PvE content I haven’t done be impossible since everybody has already moved on? They need to work on making dead areas truly more populated, and not by making a stupid daily. I know every area has players in them, maybe not a ton, but they are too far spread between servers.

The answer is in game already. Guest to a busier server. It’s free. it’s easy..people do it all the time.

The answer to the necro thing isn’t as clear cut, but I can safely say I’ve finished my personal story and several dungeons on a necro. One necro in my guild has the dungeon master title. I’m pretty sure he uses a well build.

It’s not impossible on a necro, but it is more challenging. Join a guild and get some people to run with you and it can be a lot of fun.

Posted by: LastDay.3524

LastDay.3524

Grenth event is messed up because the creatures in Orr were redesigned to make them more interesting to fight and as a result some of the monsters just kill the NPC waaaay too fast.

If Anet didn’t want people to farm they would have drastically nerfed the loot and amount of enemies in Orr.
They wouldn’t have included daily chests for world events either.

What they definitely do want do is make the game so that you can choose between many different places to farm in and don’t need to grind the same thing 24/7 to make a good profit.

They are no doubt gonna up the rewards from things not worth doing whereas possibly placing daily or monthly limits on things that give you insane amounts of money when repeated for hours.

The WvW loot improvements and precursor chance come into mind as an example of Anet trying to make people do other things for loot, too.

The situation is nowhere near ideal right now but I believe things will get better over time.
Most things have.

Benight[Edge]

Posted by: pricer.5091

pricer.5091

If Anet didn’t want people to farm they would have drastically nerfed the loot and amount of enemies in Orr.

Erm…hate to break it to you bud, but they DID do that.

Posted by: LastDay.3524

LastDay.3524

Erm…hate to break it to you bud, but they DID do that.

Drastically?
Not really, they did nerf it once (how long ago was that again?) and there are still swarms of undead for people to AoE spam to death whenever an event kicks off and you still get tons of loot compared to most of the game outside dungeons.

If they weren’t made to be farmed it’d be very easy to make them completely not worth it.
What they don’t want is people running there all day long and other content providing almost no rewards in comparison.

Also if I remember right you used to mostly get a gazillion Ancient Bones and now the materials from the bags vary a lot more.

Benight[Edge]

Posted by: pricer.5091

pricer.5091

Nah…you rarely get a bag and if you do it drops silk or leather. They nerfed it to the floor.

Posted by: MakersMark.8420

MakersMark.8420

This game doesn’t even resemble the game I started playing in September. The only thing that is the same is that my favorite profession is still bugged.

Daily chests for world events are a joke. They barely cover the cost of WP. Probably shouldn’t even reward that well for standing in one place and hitting 1 for 30 seconds.

Posted by: Rama.6439

Rama.6439

Well, in all fairness, GW1 wasn’t an MMO, and this is the sequel to that, and as far as I see it they haven’t made much in the way of changing for the good, just went backwards, so I don’t see this GW2 as an MMO, just another game that adds temp content, hopefully they will get an expansion out soon so we, the real MMO players will have some new content to play.

Arcubus Balefire – 80 Guardian
Välkyri – 80 Warrior
JQ[Lulz] – Kill fur Thrillz…

Posted by: digiowl.9620

digiowl.9620

Grenth event is messed up because the creatures in Orr were redesigned to make them more interesting to fight and as a result some of the monsters just kill the NPC waaaay too fast.

Happens with the Steampipe defense event in Southsun as well.

There you have a certain object that you need to defend, but as people pile in upleveled karka start spawning everywhere (supposedly they are tunneling in) and eventually one of them one shots the object into instant failure.

Posted by: Drakenvold.9761

Drakenvold.9761

my only complaint is the lack o IMPORTANT content,last chapter of flame and frost aside which actually felt meaningfull,you have this passing events that just..barely entertain you or keep you buzy for a week and then back to the grind..i dont care about legendaries,or map completion,im not a leet/pro player,i do care about tho the story,lately i logg in to stand around in LA..doing guild missions ocassionaly and fractals or help out guild mates,what compels me to go out into zone of the map i havent visited?nothing cuz the story is done,wont change a thing..
if they stayed a coupleof months without launching new content to properly set up a new contente update that would be a step fowards,or at least write a significant story,helping treaharne getting some allies for the pact,or doing missions for your order..also housing..oh house instance..you who were said to be awesome…i dont even go there anymore..would it be awesome if we got a something to hold a set of armor or something?imagine you as The slayer of the serpent in the norn stry would have the serpents head there decorationg,or we could spend the point we have account bound on trophies,furniture,ncps there who could give small boons for 15 minutes or 30…just my 2 cents anyway..

Posted by: ArchonWing.9480

ArchonWing.9480

Despite all the nerfs and difficulty increases, Pertinent and Shelter aren’t too hard to camp. The real issue is the rest of CS is so boring which is why people stick to those places. Soloing CS on a necro is pretty trivial stuff though.

Southsun is harder by far since you usually need a nicely sized group for those Southsun camp events. I admit southsun stuff was sort of a fail given that settler’s equipment was very lackluster.

For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards,
for there you have been and there you will long to return.

(edited by ArchonWing.9480)

Posted by: Grounder.7381

Grounder.7381

I still believe anet is stalling for time to develop an expansion behind our backs.. those need a huge workload of most of the teams.. and they need gather some money for its cost.
or so i believe..
I never understand why people insist on playing the farm game though..

Posted by: Mentalhead.5721

Mentalhead.5721

I agree, Southsun is now dead, and I saw one person farming next to me, but before the Dragon Bash Southsun was crowded.

Same goes for Orr, dead as it can be.

ANet should add events that can be done solo or without a group or some bulletin LFG system so you can announce to all players in your region (EU or US) that you need a large group for a specific goal.

Posted by: Reo.9470

Reo.9470

Thank you Sir. I agree grinding is not playing and GW2 does a rather good job to limit the grind when you compare it to other games.

Posted by: Puru.4217

Puru.4217

Dungeon reward vs Open reward is completly out of whack, that’s the main issue.

The only dynamic event that are worth doing are world bosses because they give a guaranteed rare + a chest which hopefully will contain another rare/exo or dynamic event with TONS of easy mobs which promote farming (if they are hard, with how few players do those it will probably be not worth it most of the time). Everything else is crap and not worth your time. 10 minutes defences agains waves of 3 powerful mobs every now and then? 1.80s.

Meanwhile in dungeons, in 7-20 minutes (lets say 7 being cof1 and 20 being arah) you get 1 flat gold from loot and encounters + potential rare/exo/core/lodestones from chest + dungeon tokens (free rares + exo).

I really wonder why the open world is void of players, and it seems anet wants to improve dungeon reward on top of it because they are not on par with cof1 rewards, seriously… Well at least other dungeons will be more populated which isn’t so bad.

The only reason open world is kinda decent atm is because you can sell those dragon coffers (only available during this month) for 3.5s (10s when the event started, it was really broken) which is pretty decent with how often they drop let’s be honest.

It’s not my fault if S/P is not popular !!!

(edited by Puru.4217)

Posted by: Serophous.9085

Serophous.9085

The mmo community is a diverse one, where it will never be truly satisfied. Beat some new content? We want the next stuff now. Something broken? We want it fixed yesterday. We seem to have it in our minds that things should be flawless immediately, when we forget they are only human and will make mistakes.

You also have to remember where a majority of the community comes from. WoW, rift, everquest, etc, where grind was a center piece. Then they are raids and the massive pve battles. There have been so many years of that repetitiveness that we believe any game without it can be consider ‘bad’ or ‘failing’. Yet at the same time, getting bored with the system. Really, if you think about it, we do have raids, the world boss events.

Im going to agree that gw2 is a transition from the old mmos and new ones. Im also going to say that many problems caused in the mmo genre was because no one wanted to leave the WoW box in design.

If anything, we shouldnt be yelling at anet to bring back the old stuff,suggest new ideas that would be neat to see in an mmo.

Posted by: Calae.1738

Calae.1738

I’m not entirely certain if Arenanet even cares that we regularly log in anymore. I know they want us to log in at least once every 2 to 4 weeks to buy gems. These mini games are fun for how long? 10 minutes?

Posted by: tigirius.9014

tigirius.9014

I think those businessmen really have lost all sight of what’s happening. There’s business and then there’s bad business. They don’t realize they’ve bitten the hand that feeds them.

It’s a much better plan to get money from those who enjoy your game the way it is at launch than to manipulate it blatantly in an attempt to squeeze even more from your players. There will always be people who can’t afford gems every minute but there are plenty of people who if you treat them right will come back and will spend gems for the things they want without hesitation in support of what you are doing.

So really they’ll have to ask themselves is it better to squeeze and in the process scare your good customers away just for the prospect of having extremely high profits or is it better to allow the free players to play and get a constant steady stream of profits coming in because you have happy players slowly increasing the amount of players you have over time because you took the time out to properly update fix and increase the value of your game by pouring money back into it.

That’s what happened with WoW, WoW was never an overnight success with millions of players, they made changes they updated they adapted to the demands of the new majority and they did it over a period of months. Other F2P titles have done this as well and have had great success with it. People claimed that STO wouldn’t last and it just hit it’s 3.5 mark and is about to have yet another major update. People all over that game all the time because the Devs took the time to update, improve the game and they adjusted the economy in their game to allow for players to be able to earn in store currency for the small things if they wished with relatively quick currency runs.

Balance Team: Please Fix Mine Toolbelt Positioning!

The Stain.4169

Despite all the nerfs and difficulty increases, Pertinent and Shelter aren’t too hard to camp. The real issue is the rest of CS is so boring which is why people stick to those places. Soloing CS on a necro is pretty trivial stuff though.

Southsun is harder by far since you usually need a nicely sized group for those Southsun camp events. I admit southsun stuff was sort of a fail given that settler’s equipment was very lackluster.

I have to disagree with you a bit…have you been to CS in the past two or three weeks? Not only are all the other nerfs (huge buffs to enemies) still in place, but the time between events has been hugely extended. IMHO it was this last change that killed the area and it is fairly recent. It you want to do the events in the Pent/Shelter area you have to stand around for 20 minutes or so between events….way too long.

As far as Southsun, it is completely unworkable, a ghost town. The events don’t scale, and cannot be attempted without a huge group. In that case I suspect it was just bad/half-azzed design.

(edited by The Stain.4169)

Vayne.8563

I’m not entirely certain if Arenanet even cares that we regularly log in anymore. I know they want us to log in at least once every 2 to 4 weeks to buy gems. These mini games are fun for how long? 10 minutes?

See that’s the question. I can’t tell you how many hours I played crab toss for, and I like dragon ball even more. So the question is how long is dragon ball entertaining to each person. Some people really do like it.

If you don’t like it, you don’t have to participate. But if you haven’t noticed there are threads on this forum asking for MORE mini games.

Posted by: Deadcell.9052

Deadcell.9052

I have to disagree with you a bit…have you been to CS in the past two or three weeks? Not only are all the other nerfs (huge buffs to enemies) still in place, but the time between events has been hugely extended. IMHO it was this last change that killed the area and it is fairly recent. It you want to do the events in the Pent/Shelter area you have to stand around for 20 minutes or so between events….way too long.

As far as Southsun, it is completely unworkable, a ghost town. The events don’t scale, and cannot be attempted without a huge group. In that case I suspect it was just bad/half-azzed design.

Yeah CS is really rough these days, very long time between events, I basically run the whole map looking for events to do in between Pent/Shelt down time and many times I find nothing. Used to be able to find event chains that would keep you busy all night with very little downtime, now its mostly downtime with a few events thrown in they really sucked the fun right out of it.

As far as the Temp content stuff its ok, gives players something to do for a little while and changes the scenery a bit, would like to see more permanent stuff once in a while, and would absolutely love to see some new armor and weapon skins I can earn from playing and doing something skillful instead of everything being locked behind an expensive RNG door.

Posted by: Stinson.5972

Stinson.5972

More of a threshold question, OP do you play on a high pop server? Because what you’re describing with Orr doesn’t fit with my experience. On Dragonbrand, except at really unusual times of day there are people around to do many of the events. Indeed, there have been even more around since Dragon Bash started because people figured out you can rack up dragon coffers really quickly with the Cursed Shore events.

It’s true they’re not what they used to be – you have to mix it up more than sitting between Pen and Shelter, throwing in Plinx and a few of the escort events. It’s not amazing like it used to be but it’s a non-terrible option. And I think it’s only fair to say dungeon loot crushes open world loot in the sense that CoF crushes all other content in the game in terms of rewards; the other dungeons are fairly balanced in terms of effort v. reward when compared with Orr.

Posted by: Shadow Blade.1324

Shadow Blade.1324

The answer is in game already. Guest to a busier server. It’s free. it’s easy..people do it all the time.

im already on a high/very high population server, mid level zones are very empty, why should i have to use my 2 guests a day which i would normally use to play with friends who choose other high/ medium pop servers to have a Chance not a Guarantee a Chance that the 2/11 servers i pick to guest on are more active in the zone im playing that day at that time…

i wish the devs had a consistent vision and didn’t push out content they know is flawed

The Stain.4169

More of a threshold question, OP do you play on a high pop server? Because what you’re describing with Orr doesn’t fit with my experience. On Dragonbrand, except at really unusual times of day there are people around to do many of the events. Indeed, there have been even more around since Dragon Bash started because people figured out you can rack up dragon coffers really quickly with the Cursed Shore events.

It’s true they’re not what they used to be – you have to mix it up more than sitting between Pen and Shelter, throwing in Plinx and a few of the escort events. It’s not amazing like it used to be but it’s a non-terrible option. And I think it’s only fair to say dungeon loot crushes open world loot in the sense that CoF crushes all other content in the game in terms of rewards; the other dungeons are fairly balanced in terms of effort v. reward when compared with Orr.

Im in FA…typically one of the busier servers I believe.

I really noticed the past few days how the events in CS have changed. I don’t think it is because of fewer players in the area.

For example the “veteran packheart” event used to spawn immediately if there was damage done during the Penitent event. Now, Penitent just stays damaged. Jofast was contested all day yesterday and the event never spawned to “free” it.

I would also estimate that the time lapse between the other events in the area has been doubled…at least. I am convinced these are all programming changes that occurred in the past couple of weeks.

They gradually made it more and more difficult and less rewarding to farm CS over the past few months…then a couple of weeks ago they drove the final stake through its heart…

At least that is my perception.

Calae.1738

See that’s the question. I can’t tell you how many hours I played crab toss for, and I like dragon ball even more. So the question is how long is dragon ball entertaining to each person. Some people really do like it.

If you don’t like it, you don’t have to participate. But if you haven’t noticed there are threads on this forum asking for MORE mini games.

Why?

It’s like buying a racing game; instead of making more complex tracks and building new cars with new physics; the drivers can instead park their cars on the side of the road and play Tetris on their smart phones.

This is why I take Guild Wars less seriously with every patch that is released. This whole game is like an amusement park for children. It angers me that I wasted real money buying gems to support this non sense.

(edited by Calae.1738)

Posted by: Spiral Architect.6540

Spiral Architect.6540

Lately I’ve been wondering if there’s a “planned obsolescence” in the game design.

There are bugs and broken mechanics still in place that have been there since launch — some of which have been acknowledged by ANet staff. Yet they continually remain unaddressed. Add to that a constant stream of new, shiny, temporary content that, while it has its bright spots for some, is really pretty shallow.

What does this pattern do for the game? The new shiny stuff makes for great advertising copy. They can publish screen shots of characters with the newest (mostly unattainable) weapon skins, fighting cool new monsters and engaging in fresh new encounters. This draws in new players, which means more box sales and potential new gem shop customers.

Meanwhile, veteran players get frustrated and fed up with the same old broken content. It’s almost like ANet is saying to veteran players, “You’ve played the game already. Move along.”

(edited by Spiral Architect.6540)

Posted by: digiowl.9620

digiowl.9620

Don’t bother debating Vayne, if you do not have fun playing the game it is in his view your fault rather than the game or its creators.

Calae.1738

Lately I’ve been wondering if there’s a “planned obsolescence” in the game design.

There are bugs and broken mechanics still in place that have been there since launch — some of which have been acknowledged by ANet staff. Yet they continually remain unaddressed. Add to that a constant stream of new, shiny, temporary content that, while it has its bright spots for some, is really pretty shallow.

What does this pattern do for the game? The new shiny stuff makes for great advertising copy. They can publish screen shots of characters with the newest (mostly unattainable) weapon skins, fighting cool new monsters and engaging in fresh new encounters. This draws in new players, which means more box sales and potential new gem shop customers.

Meanwhile, veteran players get frustrated and fed up with the same old broken content. It’s almost like ANet is saying to veteran players, “You’ve played the game already. Move along.”

Is does appear that their gem store business model is based on an ignorant consumer who blindly throws their money away at a slot machine for a chance to get what they want.

Posted by: Yobculture.5786

Yobculture.5786

The answer to the necro thing isn’t as clear cut, but I can safely say I’ve finished my personal story and several dungeons on a necro. One necro in my guild has the dungeon master title. I’m pretty sure he uses a well build.

It’s not impossible on a necro, but it is more challenging. Join a guild and get some people to run with you and it can be a lot of fun.

I’ve talked to a few guildies and they have explicitly stated that they would take Necromancers last, over ANY class, due to us being almost useless in PvE (something along the lines of that was said). Many of my guildies have expressed their dislike of the Necromancer traits. There also seems to be a bit of a negative consensus in general towards Necromancers, as I’ve experienced being kicked out of some groups just for being one. That’s pretty rare though.

I love my Necromancer, but I don’t think it’s a true and tried “challenge”… personally, it sounds more to me like artificial difficulty because at the time of writing this post, the condition cap stacks amongst the (mostly, besides about 10 of them) crappy Necromancer traits make it so we can only do so many things as the jack of all trades…

EDIT: I also play a Wells support necro, and I find it hard to say that Necromancer is equal to the other classes… outside of PvE, people tend to quickly learn to stay outside of our wells unless they’re just plain bad players. I should probably roll a Warrior or something so I can just make myself even tankier instead of having to drop fixed AoE skills and hope my enemy walks into it.

Inside PvE, wells is pretty fun as the amount of AoE damage I can cause is incredible (considering the fact that I’m a Necromancer) and I can even properly support my team mates with blind/other CC.

Far Shiverpeaks

(edited by Yobculture.5786)