This game has inspired me

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: VormundGeist.3876

VormundGeist.3876

I figure this is as good a place as any to talk about this.

Let me tell everyone a bit about myself, I am a 25 year old Engineering student, gamer, furry, brony, and all around Nerdy McNerderson, or Geeky McGeekerson if you prefer.

I have MMORPG-ed my heart out since my young childhood, having started with a little console MMO known as Everquest Online, and from there my desire to explore digital fantasy worlds blossomed into what my mother considered a ‘manageable addiction’, to her, Good Grades = MMO game time.
Lol.

Having been around, through, over, and under the Massivly Multiplayer block many times, I found around my young adulthood of 18 years and my entry into Mississippi State University, playing an MMORPG known as World of Warcraft, and while in my 3 year incarceration in Blizzards Money-Pit ofkittenSouls, I became very pessimistic about the genre, the game often took one exciting step forward, and then two disappointing steps back before it turned around to kick me square in the jolly department.

When I hung my hat up and resigned to the launch day of a little doomed MMO known as Final Fantasy 14 (I actually still play that off and on, and I am VERY excited about its complete remake/reboot launching around Christmas) that I then spent two years playing it. Yes it was a broken mess, yes it was grindy, but I found many friends and enjoyed much hardcore hard-mode bossfights while making sure my feedback got to the Devs so they could make sure 2.0 goes off without a hitch.

And then the end of summer break came, I had no time for super grindy fun-time of the current FFXIV gamebuild and so I cautiously entered uncharted territory to fill the gap of the next few months.

Enter Gamestop, I walked into my local evil lair where evil people work, to trade in some rubbish that I beat on my 3DS way too fast when the soul-dead thrall behind the counter suggested Guild Wars 2 to me.

I sort of took offense, where did this knuckle dragging slobber jockey get off suggesting a seasoned veteran of the MMO scene like myself, a fresh off the presses MMORPG that would probably be just like all of the other WoW clones?

However my trade in values where a surprising 70 dollars total so I decided, hey why the hell not, a fresh distraction will keep the barrel of a magnum out of my throat.

Once this game was installed and I began playing I was just absolutely, astounded by how responsive the controls where, it didn’t feel like an MMORPG at all really, once I realized that I was auto targeting enemies when I fired my engineers rifle, my worries about luggy FPS ruining my experience was completely gone. The game then proceeded to have the audacity to have a personal storyline for me to experience to give my character depth and meaning. I very ironically/sarcastically demand that Arena Net explain themselves, where do they get off making an MMO that is so astounding when I have never even heard of them!

Joking aside :P

I adore this game, I do not regret it in any way whatsoever, I do not regret the 20 dollars I just spent on new character slots, and I will not regret the hundreds of dollars I will spend buying probably a few hundred slots just so I can experience all the race/gender/class combinations the game has to offer.

My only complaints are as follows:
-The poor utilization of AMD processors
-The Nagging Fear that in endgame there wont really be a renewable game play based source of gold income, forcing me to buy gold through jewels

A short list indeed, but powerful complaints all the same.

In closing, I just want to say what the title of this topic exposits, this game has inspired me to trust the MMORPG genre again, and its booming popularity is a testament to the future of the industry.

Thank you Arena Net for taking me by surprise, its the best surprise I have had in years.

-Thank you for your time
Signed,
Vormund Geist

Posted by: Feranor.2053

Feranor.2053

The Nagging Fear that in endgame there wont really be a renewable game play based source of gold income, forcing me to buy gold through jewels

This right there is the source of most of the game’s shortcomings. Unfortunately it sort of comes with the business model of Pay2Win.

Wie willst du aufrecht leben, wenn du weißt, dass es nicht lohnt?
— ASP, “Tiefenrausch”

Posted by: Milennin.4825

Milennin.4825

Yup, game rocks.8)
Nice post by the way.xP

Just who the hell do you think I am!?

VormundGeist.3876

The Nagging Fear that in endgame there wont really be a renewable game play based source of gold income, forcing me to buy gold through jewels

This right there is the source of most of the game’s shortcomings. Unfortunately it sort of comes with the business model of Pay2Win.

True but at least the game is FUN to play regardless, my character could be in total rags for the rest of its life as long as the game is awesome fun.

Incidentally I am sure I will make decent money on the player market through gear drops I just don’t want, being able to sell on the market on the fly is pretty sweet.

VormundGeist.3876

Admitting you are a furry or brony isnt the best choice of action.

I have absolutely zero fear of trolls man, come the hell at me bro

Posted by: Rizzy.8293

Rizzy.8293

Im glad you enjoy it

VormundGeist.3876

Yup, game rocks.8)
Nice post by the way.xP

Thanks, I just felt like I needed to sing my heart out, needing to make a post like this was in my system like a bad hit of too much speed for the last week or so :P

Posted by: vidiotking.1928

vidiotking.1928

I too really enjoy GW2. I have a 45 Norn Guardian and a 35 Human Ranger.

I have some trepidation regarding ‘end game’. I DO NOT like spending RL $ to P2Win. I learned this lesson the hard way w/ a game called Battle of Immortals. That game tried to get your $ big time.

I don’t power play games, so I’m hoping that AN and the fan base come to some agreement regarding end game before I get there.

Here’s to being optimistic about the future of GW2.

Led Zeppelin, Mahavishnu Orchestra, Grateful Dead, & Miles Davis.

VormundGeist.3876

I have to agree vidiotking (sorry I didn’t make a quoted reply, my post function buttons seem to be missing…)

However with the casual pace at which I play the game, I think I will be arriving at endgame when its more or less, fixed, or at any rate BETTER then it is now.

Posted by: Knote.2904

Knote.2904

As a 23 year old who also started with Everquest (thanks dad).

/Fistbump

VormundGeist.3876

/Fistbump

/Fistbump indeed
What other MMOs have you been through?

Knote.2904

/Fistbump

/Fistbump indeed

Went from EQ —> DAoC (my irresponsible dad pulled me out of school early for release) --> WoW (on and off for years with tons of other MMO’s in between)

(edited by Knote.2904)

VormundGeist.3876

/Fistbump

/Fistbump indeed

Went from EQ —> DAoC (my irresponsible dad pulled me out of school early for release) --> WoW (on and off for years with tons of other MMO’s in between)

Cool, Ive been around too many to count honestly, I know that somewhere in the list is FFXI though, LOVED that one

vidiotking.1928

/Fistbump

/Fistbump indeed

Cool, Ive been around too many to count honestly, I know that somewhere in the list is FFXI though, LOVED that one

SWG>EQ>GW2.

After that mmo’s, in my book, become pretty anonymous. Games like Shadowbane, Vanguard, Asherons call 1 &2, Rift, WoW, AoC, WAR, and Aion all become muddled in my mind.

Knote.2904

/Fistbump

/Fistbump indeed

SWG>EQ>GW2.

After that mmo’s, in my book, become pretty anonymous. Games like Shadowbane, Vanguard, Asherons call 1 &2, Rift, WoW, AoC, WAR, and Aion all become muddled in my mind.

Ooooh I forgot about Vanguard. God I loved that one. I wish it didn’t bomb so hard on release. I remember trying it out multiple times years later and see it still barely hanging on lol.

VormundGeist.3876

/Fistbump

/Fistbump indeed

SWG>EQ>GW2.

Ooooh I forgot about Vanguard. God I loved that one. I wish it didn’t bomb so hard on release. I remember trying it out multiple times years later and see it still barely hanging on lol.

Didn’t Vanguard kinda flop because the whole, terraform and creating towns thing got kinda super tedious?

vidiotking.1928

/Fistbump

/Fistbump indeed

SWG>EQ>GW2.

I guess if I’m going to be complete I should put Vanguard on its own tier. Not as good as any of the Holy Trinity of my mmo career, but better than any of the other ones I’ve listed.

vidiotking.1928

/Fistbump

/Fistbump indeed

SWG>EQ>GW2.

Didn’t Vanguard kinda flop because the whole, terraform and creating towns thing got kinda super tedious?

My understanding was it flopped because it was sokittenbuggy, and the optimization/performance was so poor… But like I mentioned earlier, my brain is muddled.

Knote.2904

/Fistbump

/Fistbump indeed

SWG>EQ>GW2.

You’re talking of a completely different game. There was no terraforming or town creating lol.

Vanguard was meant to be a predecessor to the old school Everquest 1. The world was absolutely, disgustingly MASSIVE and awesome. The crafting was the most complex, in depth, realistic, and fun I’ve seen in any game ever (there was even a completely different leveling system for each char 1-80 Adventurer, Crafting, and Diplomat). The classes were fun, diverse enough and had their own interesting class mechanics.

The game, as he said, was rushed out and buggy beyond belief and just bled players which doomed the game. SOE swooped in and “Saved” it by fixing a ton of things and had a small team pumping out raid content and stuff. But they also never advertised it or helped it grow again. I weep to this day.

VormundGeist.3876

/Fistbump

/Fistbump indeed

SWG>EQ>GW2.

You’re talking of a completely different game. There was no terraforming or town creating lol.

Vanguard was meant to be a predecessor to the old school Everquest 1. The world was absolutely, disgustingly MASSIVE and awesome. The crafting was the most complex, in depth, realistic, and fun I’ve seen in any game ever (there was even a completely different leveling system for each char 1-80 Adventurer, Crafting, and Diplomat). The classes were fun, diverse enough and had their own interesting class mechanics.

The game, as he said, was rushed out and buggy beyond belief and just bled players which doomed the game. SOE finally picked it up and “Saved” it by fixing a ton of things and had a small team pumping out raid content and stuff. But they also never advertised it or helped it grow again. I weep to this day.

OH!…huh…What game was I thinking about? There was an MMO that was billed to have totally unique servers because player actions created towns and stuff across a giant map (that was empty at a servers conception)

Posted by: Failsociety.4569

Failsociety.4569

Amen brother! XIV is kickingkitten and simply cannot wait til Reborn. I still play as well on Besaid!

Edit: Vangaurd one of the best MMO’s out there. Really only a few great MMO’s even to date. (imo) XI (Although abyssea makes me sad) XIV (Haters going to hate, one of the few games along with XI that doesn’t follow the standard WoW crap genre) and Vangaurd. (No real words to explain it, the game is huge and beautiful with a great system. EQ style)

FFXI: 75 Blm Rdm Blu Thf Smn Nin Bst (Retired since Abyssea) FFXIV: 50 War Blm Whm Brd Pld
Loathe WoW and the Community it brings.

VormundGeist.3876

Amen brother! XIV is kickingkitten and simply cannot wait til Reborn. I still play as well on Besaid!

My character is based in Gungir or however you spell it.
Regardless I hope XIVs Devs are keeping a close eye on GW2s game mechanics, they may be able to learn some lessons and give some of the good ideas a ‘Final Fantasy’ spin

Failsociety.4569

Regardless I hope XIVs Devs are keeping a close eye on GW2s game mechanics, they may be able to learn some lessons and give some of the good ideas a ‘Final Fantasy’ spin

Honestly, been playing MMOs for about 11 years now, I am 31. If XIV doesn’t fit my bill (which been playing since Alpha even in it’s crap state til now) I think it’s time to put aside the genre altogether. They just don’t make good games like old EQ, XI anymore.

FFXI: 75 Blm Rdm Blu Thf Smn Nin Bst (Retired since Abyssea) FFXIV: 50 War Blm Whm Brd Pld

VormundGeist.3876

Honestly, been playing MMOs for about 11 years now, I am 31. If XIV doesn’t fit my bill (which been playing since Alpha even in it’s crap state til now) I think it’s time to put aside the genre altogether. They just don’t make good games like old EQ, XI anymore.

I am more then certain we will be pleased with 2.0 after having our senses dulled to a blunt point for the last two years of the current game

vidiotking.1928

/Fistbump

/Fistbump indeed

SWG>EQ>GW2.

The game, as he said, was rushed out and buggy beyond belief and just bled players which doomed the game. SOE finally picked it up and “Saved” it by fixing a ton of things and had a small team pumping out raid content and stuff. But they also never advertised it or helped it grow again. I weep to this day.

OH!…huh…What game was I thinking about? There was an MMO that was billed to have totally unique servers because player actions created towns and stuff across a giant map (that was empty at a servers conception)

SWG had player made everything. Weapons, Armor, buildings, towns…. That’s why it was my favorite. A TRUE sandbox mmo.

Archage is a Korean game comming out that ‘seems’ to be an SWG clone set in a fantasy world. If this is indeed what Archage is, sign me the kitten up!!!! ( I just typed kitten instead of a swear word for fun.)

Posted by: Pants.8315

Pants.8315

Just as well this isn’t pay2win then isn’t it.

Buying gems with real money is just faster than buying them with in game currency.

Pay2Win implies you get some sort of advantage over other players by spending money, which simply isn’t true as there isn’t a single thing in the game you can’t obtain through in game currency.

I bought one of my character slots with gold I earned just by leveling, converted it into gems. Simples.

(edited by Pants.8315)

Failsociety.4569

I am more then certain we will be pleased with 2.0 after having our senses dulled to a blunt point for the last two years of the current game

Hah, I haven’t minded much. Ifrit, Moogle, Garuda fights were all pretty epic. Granted the hardest thing about them being the server lag, but epic non-the-less. My Linkshell is awesome and the community is something I have always loved about FF games.

VormundGeist.3876

Oh I love the content the game had but it was just so sub-par overall, I don’t care if 2.0 makes it more ‘sellout’ or ‘mainstream’ I just want it to be addictive to play, If i spend time on a game and I regretted time lost, then the game is not doing its job.

And I swear to the Space Pope if I don’t see some HDL drops soon I will rip out my own teeth.

Posted by: Regina Buenaobra

Regina Buenaobra

Content Marketing Lead

Thank you, VormundGeist, for sharing the story of how you discovered Guild Wars 2. We’re glad the game’s energized you again about the genre.

Content Marketing Lead
Twitter: @ArenaNet, @GuildWars2
In-Game Name: Cm Regina Buenaobra

Posted by: Diva.4706

Diva.4706

Glad you are loving the game. By the way, I run it on an AMD fx 8120 , 8GB ,Radeon 6850 , on max settings. I never lag or have to “fiddle” with settings, not even in WvW. It runs very smooth all the time.

Welcome to Tyria, may your journey be a good one

Posted by: Dreleth.3647

Dreleth.3647

Hey! A fellow GW2 Furry (<— Dragon, rawr!)

Your story is similar, except with a couple close friends recommending it to me during the beta. All I could say was “GW2 can’t be that good, and it’s only in beta. It’s just going to be another WoW clone like the rest.” Man, was I wrong.

My MMO experience comes from 6 years of playing WoW, 2 years of EQ, and 1 year of FF XI. I’m more of a PvPer when it comes to games, which all I did in WoW was do arena’s everyday. When Blizzard announced MoP, and I heard all of the other MMO’s starting to die, I lost hope in all of the MMORPG’s.

I heard GW2’s PvP was going to be seperate from PvE, and that it was going to be more skill-based and less based off of team composition (the dreaded RMP/RLS in WoW). So I decided to dump 60 bucks on a game that I wasn’t sure about and I was instantly sucked into the game right when I created my charr mesmer.

The exploration, story missions, awesome characters (I love most of the charr characters, they have awesome personalities. <3 Dinky), fun and exciting sPvP/WvW. GW2 has really sucked me back into the MMORPG scene, and I’m glad.

Keep up the good work ArenaNet.

-Dreleth

Posted by: Saga.1652

Saga.1652

OP, I also started my MMO journey with Everquest Online Adventures. I still remember it fondly as one of the best experiences I ever had in gaming; it took my MMO virginity.

Posted by: Wazeau.7234

Wazeau.7234

Played almost all of them and as someone said, they all blurred together after awhile. Was this the game one could actually play a dragon and have a hoard? And we had to go gather resources and put them in little flying saucer disks that followed us as we hobbled out to empty spaces to build towns with what we gathered? I cannot for the life of me clearly remember the name of the game. Horizons or something like that maybe?

Posted by: theerrantventure.9185

theerrantventure.9185

Wooo EQ. I started that in High School. Played a Dwarf Paladin that never reached max level. Paladins were worthless in EQ. I gave up when WoW came out and did my time bleeding money to Blizzard. I have an off again on again relationship with EVE Online and I did play SWTOR for 1 month before I lost interest.

Now, marriage, full time work and starting a family mean my MMO time is limited to a couple hours a night at best during the week and the same on weekends unless the little one takes a long nap.

Most games are just a rush to level cap then raiding for gear, with weak stories and little or no character depth. GW2 defies that. I love that I can create a character with depth in a living breathing world. The capitol cities in GW2 are all I wanted and expected them to be in a game like WoW but were never delivered, until now.

I’ve had the game a week now and don’t have a character over 10 and 5 full slots. The game is so big and new that I haven’t yet decided which of my characters to begin as my ‘main.’

I don’t buy many video games (really only an occasional Steam purchase as I own no current game consoles) but I would consider this $60 well spent. I know I will get hours and hours of play out of GW2. Heck, even my wife just started playing!

I know the game is being lambasted by the hardcore crowd. They have their right to voice the flaws. However for us casual folks, the game feels right. ANet will work out the bugs in time. It’s a game, there’s no rush.

Trolls are like stray cats.
Feed them and they multiply.
Please do not feed them.

VormundGeist.3876

Wooo EQ. I started that in High School. Played a Dwarf Paladin that never reached max level. Paladins were worthless in EQ. I gave up when WoW came out and did my time bleeding money to Blizzard. I have an off again on again relationship with EVE Online and I did play SWTOR for 1 month before I lost interest.

Now, marriage, full time work and starting a family mean my MMO time is limited to a couple hours a night at best during the week and the same on weekends unless the little one takes a long nap.

Most games are just a rush to level cap then raiding for gear, with weak stories and little or no character depth. GW2 defies that. I love that I can create a character with depth in a living breathing world. The capitol cities in GW2 are all I wanted and expected them to be in a game like WoW but were never delivered, until now.

I’ve had the game a week now and don’t have a character over 10 and 5 full slots. The game is so big and new that I haven’t yet decided which of my characters to begin as my ‘main.’

I don’t buy many video games (really only an occasional Steam purchase as I own no current game consoles) but I would consider this $60 well spent. I know I will get hours and hours of play out of GW2. Heck, even my wife just started playing!

I know the game is being lambasted by the hardcore crowd. They have their right to voice the flaws. However for us casual folks, the game feels right. ANet will work out the bugs in time. It’s a game, there’s no rush.

Dude whoever says this game isn’t hardcore needs to check themselves, I just did AC and it almost made me cry

VormundGeist.3876

Hey! A fellow GW2 Furry (<— Dragon, rawr!)

Your story is similar, except with a couple close friends recommending it to me during the beta. All I could say was “GW2 can’t be that good, and it’s only in beta. It’s just going to be another WoW clone like the rest.” Man, was I wrong.

My MMO experience comes from 6 years of playing WoW, 2 years of EQ, and 1 year of FF XI. I’m more of a PvPer when it comes to games, which all I did in WoW was do arena’s everyday. When Blizzard announced MoP, and I heard all of the other MMO’s starting to die, I lost hope in all of the MMORPG’s.

I heard GW2’s PvP was going to be seperate from PvE, and that it was going to be more skill-based and less based off of team composition (the dreaded RMP/RLS in WoW). So I decided to dump 60 bucks on a game that I wasn’t sure about and I was instantly sucked into the game right when I created my charr mesmer.

The exploration, story missions, awesome characters (I love most of the charr characters, they have awesome personalities. <3 Dinky), fun and exciting sPvP/WvW. GW2 has really sucked me back into the MMORPG scene, and I’m glad.

Keep up the good work ArenaNet.

-Dreleth

I think FFXI still holds up because it has the spirit of Final Fantasy in it, but the time, there just isn’t the time anymore, and I’m glad I got to beat Chains of Promathia before i had to quit