This game is unbelievable...

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: aaron.7850

aaron.7850

Music, art, leveling have all been praised again and again, so I am going to discuss the common complaints people seem to have in Guild Wars 2.

1- “Hearts and Dynamic Events are just like regular quests, kill this, protect that..”

Easily the most common complaint people have, and I simply cant understand the reasoning, its like complaining about Super Mario Galaxy because all you do is jump and collect stars, or complain about Portal 2 because all you do is complete puzzles and ride elevators.

What did you expect? Its a fantasy RPG, of course you are going to spend most of your time protecting villages and killing bad guys and collecting treasure, that’s the ENTIRE point of the genre! This game did it in a way I have never seen an MMO do it, I actually enjoy exploring every corner of Tyria and completing every heart and D/E I see, I agree that there is more room for variety but this is a huge step foward in the genre, this game spoiled me in a way that I could never go back to older questing models.

2- “There is nothing to do when you hit 80”

When I hit 80, I still had only 60% of the entire map explored, I am still working on exploring all the map and finishing every single heart and vista and skill point, when I am tired of exploring I run dungeons and do WvWvW and complete puzzles, I am still probably missing a lot of activities that I am unaware of but the point is.. this game offers a LOT of content, and much more is being added on top of no subscription fee!. What more can we ask for?

The game isn’t perfect, stealth is too strong in pvp, tagging mobs in orr can be difficult for some classes, finding groups for dungeons is rather punitive, and home cities desperately need more tourists, but a game this young did so many other things right, i am not worried for time and patience will wash away all the minor flaws.

Hats off to Arenanet for creating the best MMO to date, the forums can sometimes be negative and grumpy but that does not reflect the opinion on the majority of the playerbase, most gamers are too busy enjoying their time playing the game instead of posting, so naturally angsty players are more vocal.

Excelsior

Posted by: FluffyDoe.7539

FluffyDoe.7539

We play the game differently sir. That’s about all I can say, though I think the comments below might catch fire if they starting saying whether they agree or disagree with the points you’ve made.

Posted by: Algreg.3629

Algreg.3629

the game is not perfect, but great imo. In the end, games are pretty much about personal taste.

Posted by: Paul.4081

Paul.4081

the forums can sometimes be negative and grumpy but that does not reflect the opinion on the majority of the playerbase, most gamers are too busy enjoying their time playing the game instead of posting, so naturally angsty players are more vocal. Excelsior

I can only speak for myself but I’m only negative and grumpy sometimes on the forums because I care.

The white knights try to dismiss any and all complaints however legitimate they might be as trolling. What they need to realise is that GW2 isn’t the perfect game, there is room for improvement and Anet are capable of it.

(edited by Paul.4081)

aaron.7850

the forums can sometimes be negative and grumpy but that does not reflect the opinion on the majority of the playerbase, most gamers are too busy enjoying their time playing the game instead of posting, so naturally angsty players are more vocal. Excelsior

I can only speak for myself but I’m only negative and grumpy sometimes on the forums because I care.

The white knights try to dismiss any and all complaints however legitimate they might be as trolling. What they need to realise is that GW2 isn’t the perfect game, there is room for improvement and Anet are capable of it.

As I said on my post, some complaints are valid, there is room for improvement, but the developers deserve more credit than they get on the forums. Please dont use the word White Knight around here, it leads nowhere.

Posted by: Humor.5763

Humor.5763

It is true that this game isn’t far off from other mmorpg’s in the sense you’re doing the same thing in the end anyways, “kill this, kill that, protect this etc.”. If you think about it really, all games come done to the exact same thing, and there’s not one single game out there you can name that doesn’t repeat itself in the end, not a single one. People who come into any game expecting it to be different from any other game out there are just silly, and should stay away from all games period. As I stated, not one single game doesn’t end up repeating itself, whether it be a “First Person Shooter”, “Rpg”, “Mmorpg”, etc. the list goes on.

The way in which you use content can only be new, and stylish for so long. What ArenaNet did with using hearts, Dynamic Events, etc, to portray the way they made use of “Quests”, and doing the same thing over, and over again was interesting, and definitely has not been done before. But, take out the hearts, replace the npc with a quest, replace Dynamic Events with “Repeaters”, and it’s all the same in the end. I bought Guild Wars 2, and came in knowing it was just basically another glorified mmorpg, and rather then look at all these negatives, focused on the clever development, and how they tried to make a “Generic” mmorpg different from others, and I have to say, they’ve done a good job, and it definitely doesn’t feel like just another “Point/Click”, or “Generic” mmorpg. Still, everything breaks down the same in the end though.

As for being level 80? Well, I can’t say too much there I suppose. It’s definitely boring to someone like me having “nothing” to do. Sure, I “could” go do World VS World, or go into PvP, but in the end, it’ll just be like the quests, hearts, events, etc. Just the same repetitiveness over, and over. Not to mention there’s quite a few problems with PvP as of now (none that I’ve run into, Thieves don’t bother me in W v W, that, or I’ve never met a “Good” Thief yet). Long story short, I’ve just been making new characters, and raising them to level 80, it’s something to do, at least until “The Next Big Mmorpg” comes out.

Like God…
Only Better…

Posted by: Zimlobo.3962

Zimlobo.3962

I agree with this post 100%
As I see it real life is hard and disappointing, so I never feel bad about flying a fanboy flag when it comes to relatively inert things like comic books, movies, and video games. This game is great now and it will be amazing in the future.

(edited by Zimlobo.3962)

Posted by: hplee.2839

hplee.2839

LOL

this revolutionary game design seems to be working as intended, most of lvling zone are empty and 70 % of population now farm 2 events at Cursed Shore…

Orisis Stonehart
Blackgate Militia

Posted by: Krosslite.1950

Krosslite.1950

OP -

in addition to your number 1:

The hearts were placed in here to help those use to the old system.

If you go through any of these zones with hearts there will also be people that ask you for your time or help. These don’t have hearts. As you get into higher levels there are less hearts and more of these people about asking for you to listen to them.

Warriors are those who choose to stand between their enemy and all that he loves or hold sacred

Posted by: Sollith.3502

Sollith.3502

The game has a great base to build off of, but lacks a lot and still has quite a bit of work needing to be done.

Events like Claw of Jormag are just boring because they are way too predictable (it doens’t necessarily need to be made difficult, as more of a little more variety in it’s attacks and a little less of that annoying “fear” would be nice. At the moment dragons events are: spam attacks → feared out of place → run back and spam attacks again. Like I said a little more variety would be nice…). The adds in these events could be nerfed a bit too; it’s pretty much pointless to kill the adds because they take way too long to kill, so players usually just kite and ignore them.

Then there are other events that are just ridiculous to even try to do because all the attacks are one shots (I mean come on we can only dodge so often) or in the case of events like the Fire Elemental just not instructive enough for players new to the event and people just get frustrated (in the case of the elemental they could have the NPC saying “spread out and don’t let those embers focus in one area” or something anyways; many players just seem to think the events damage is way too high, when it’s just most players are huddled together on the bridge and end up having all the AOEs focused in one spot).

Then there could be more to do: give tokens or something (account/character bound) from chests that can be saved up for short term goals and longer term ones; consumable things like PvE siege weapons, etc. for fun. Boss bounties and stuff for similar tokens. Maybe even just revamp karma and have it serve that purpose rather than creating new currencies for those.

They could have the orders that a player joins be a little more part of the players experience and have them go beyond the main story. Design quests, bounties, etc. for players to do and have the three Orders represent different play styles: Whisperers for smaller group and solo challenges; Priory for mid sized groups with expeditions and exploration; Vigil for players that like larger groups and events. Maybe just put a bulletin board at each of the Orders Headquarters with several different task and challenges players can choose from.

Also, content scaling needs to be heavily revamped. Instead of adjusting HP and stuff on a single enemy (the boss) they need to have the events designed for a certain number of players and upscale it after that by adding in “sub-events”; things like adding in several trebuchets firing on players in the main event area to destroy, extra adds (not too over powered, but strong enough to take a few hits) and other things to draw player away from the “main event” but would still give them credit for it.

These are the kinds of things they need to look at before focusing on adding in new areas. If players felt a little more involved, felt like they had a little more actually at stake in the world it would make the game much, much better. Right now all of the events and content are too watered out and zerged to death. Players need a reason to venture out and away from the same events, but it doesn’t seem like Anet is doing anything about this… Many of the areas just feel too empty now, because most of the population is either in Orr or pretty much afking in LA (or in Frostgorge for when the Claw of Jormag decides to pop out and sip tea with the players).

Posted by: Gauradan.8361

Gauradan.8361

Hats off to Arenanet for creating the best MMO to date, the forums can sometimes be negative and grumpy but that does not reflect the opinion on the majority of the playerbase, most gamers are too busy enjoying their time playing the game instead of posting, so naturally angsty players are more vocal.

Or rather busy not playing the game. My small guild, made up of 17 people is all but dead. In the past weeks, at no time of the day, was there anyone else except myself online, so it’s safe to assume they quit. None of them ever came to the forums to complain about the game as far as I know. If, for every “whiner”, there are at least other 10 players who have stopped playing silently, I guess that explains why the lower level areas are barren.

Aed f’haeil moen Hirjeth taenverde.

Posted by: DigitalBAZOOKA.3940

DigitalBAZOOKA.3940

Lol I’m sad to say that iv never gotten past lvl 50 on any character but the lower lvl areas are not dead( iv played them alot) the bandit DE in queensdale where must defend the farm, was packed with players, almost to menu IMO, maybe it’s yor server?

Be the change you want to see in the world

Posted by: Saidor.7028

Saidor.7028

I don’t think this is a bad game, from what i’ve seen of it, but it’s certainly not anything special. I’ve not seen it even attempt to do anything origional and what it’s copied from other mmo’s hasn’t been implemented very well. It certainly isn’t going to be the wow killer so many people were claiming it would be.

End game issues will always exist. Its the end of the game after all, once you’ve done everything you want to do what else is there to do? Its a problem every mmo has. The same with repetative questing styles. There is only so much you can do, and with the console generation you have to dumb things down to accomodate them because they cant handle anything beyond button mashing.

For people who have never played these types of games before however, it will all look shiny and wonderful.

Of course there is a simple solution to all these problems…..

……just add pandas.

(edited by Saidor.7028)

Posted by: Robbyx.1284

Robbyx.1284

Excelsior

This must be the first MMO you’ve ever played…this game, while mildly entertaining is far from the best at anything to be honest, no matter which way you look at it, there is nothing this game does better than any other MMO.

The crafting system is appallingly bad, the cosmetics are horrendous, the playable end game is non existent for anyone other than very casual players.

While Anet should be congratulated for trying something new, they seem to have steered clear of time tested MMO mechanics just because someone else already did it and it would ruin their “innovation”.

One of my guildies, who has left the game by the way, along with the 25-30 other players in my guild put it best…“this game is the kindergarten of MMO’s”.

Posted by: Electroflux.5320

Electroflux.5320

The OP is so blinded, really.

Like Robbyx said, this has to be your first MMO because this game is extremely lack-luster and hardly innovative. I’ve played so many MMORPGs that I’m too lazy to even list them here, let alone think about all of them I’ve played and this game is one of the worst.

I’d rather quest in WoW then run around and do stupid events all the way to max in this game, only to be slapped in the face with no content at 80 and more senseless grinding.

It’s not so much as the grind itself is what kills the fun-factor of the game, it’s how it’s presented. Questing in WoW is very generic, but you have bgs and dungeons with reasonable queue times to do while you’re questing so there’s a lot more interactive content then Guild Wars 2. There is literally nothing fun to do while leveling in Guild Wars 2, especially, like I said, when you know there is nothing there in the end for you that changes.

This game is really bad, really really bad.

Posted by: Onshidesigns.1069

Onshidesigns.1069

Music, art, leveling have all been praised again and again, so I am going to discuss the common complaints people seem to have in Guild Wars 2.

[b]1- “Hearts and Dynamic Events are just like regular quests, kill this, protect that..”

My problem with the hearts is that they are nothing like traditional quests. They are too simple and have no lore in them.

Posted by: Shinky.1492

Shinky.1492

1. Renown hearts were added to help the transition of people that came from games with those type of quests

2. You aren’t looking for them, unless you are the type that thinks dungeon “raids” are the only “end game” for you, then you are correct, there is nothing here for you

Posted by: Gehenna.3625

Gehenna.3625

The OP is so blinded, really.

Like Robbyx said, this has to be your first MMO because this game is extremely lack-luster and hardly innovative. I’ve played so many MMORPGs that I’m too lazy to even list them here, let alone think about all of them I’ve played and this game is one of the worst.

I’d rather quest in WoW then run around and do stupid events all the way to max in this game, only to be slapped in the face with no content at 80 and more senseless grinding.

It’s not so much as the grind itself is what kills the fun-factor of the game, it’s how it’s presented. Questing in WoW is very generic, but you have bgs and dungeons with reasonable queue times to do while you’re questing so there’s a lot more interactive content then Guild Wars 2. There is literally nothing fun to do while leveling in Guild Wars 2, especially, like I said, when you know there is nothing there in the end for you that changes.

This game is really bad, really really bad.

The reality is that you feel this game is bad because it doesn’t cater to your expectations. That doesn’t mean the game is bad. It measn this game isn’t for you. That is entirely different.

Of course, like any game, a lot can be improved and I have some issues myself with GW2, but your reply here is….well, let’s say it’s poorly written.

It seems that you can’t imagine enjoying this game and therefore other people who do enjoy this game are either blind or lying in your view. This is a ridiculous way of thinking. If the OP thoroughly enjoys this game and all it has to offer then this is his experience.

If your experience is opposite that’s fine too. But please understand that it’s not a matter of one of you being right and the other being wrong.

You are both right, from your personal point of view.

I too played many MMOs before this one. I do enjoy GW2, simply because it offers different things from other MMOs I got thoroughly bored with.

Sure, Anet’s strong point isn’t story telling, which is one of my gripes about the game but I still enjoy the game. For me it is better still as a complete game than all of the other MMOs I played. Admittedly some of these games were better at certain things than GW2, but overall, I am playing GW2 with over 400 hours and still am not bored with it. I am not playing all those other games.

So the real question for you is: If you hate it so much, why are you still here wasting your time instead of being in a game or on a forum of a game you do enjoy?

The DE’s and hearts are repackaged quests. The advantage is that you don’t have a quest log with 30+ quests to keep track of. The down side is lack of story and not knowing when events trigger where half the time.

End game doesn’t offer a gear treadmill. That is a positive for me. If that’s what you want, I’ll say it again: this is not the game for you. Just get that and your life will be better for it

It’s a game forum. The truth is not to be found here.

Posted by: Rpgtabbycat.5869

Rpgtabbycat.5869

The game is not perfect but I believe it will only get better over time. We have the new Lost Shores to look forward to in about a week. I’m very excited to see what that’s going to be.

Posted by: Doolio.1865

Doolio.1865

My problem with hearts, quests, events is that I feel tricked by the massive marketing campaign. A simple script that changes “omg we are attacked” to “we are saved” for five minutes in a small area is not “a lasting change in a dynamic breathing world”. Yes, I have expected too much obviously, but the campaign left no room for something else.
If we disregard that, hearts and stuff are pretty much the same as in every other game, nothing wrong with them. I think that a lot of players feel the same as I do and that that is the main complaint they have about hearts and events, just formulated differently from case to case.

As for the second point, well, it’s relative. You are happy to do things you have mentioned, me, not so much. And no, it’s not because I am ungrateful or because I expect too much from a new game etc. For starters, I see the state of spvp shameful, to say the least, in almost every aspect (maps, bugs, balance, stats, ladder, game modes, tactics, glory gain system etc.). In my opinion, there is no excuse for that, yes, the game is new, but it’s way past alpha, where I think current state of things belong.

Exploration of a whole map should be a bonus and a personal incentive to SOME players, not something that you should take for granted as the thing that provides additional content. Yes, everything is BASICALLY a bonus and a personal incentive in an MMORPG, but you know what I mean.

As for PvE, in my opinion, there is also a lot of stuff that should be repaired and tweaked, which is normal, but there are some that require more than simple patching and, again, that should be done way before beta. For example, badly done level scaling (you can still roflstomp lower level areas, and the loot is poor, leaving no incentive for a player to go back, thus effectively negating the “whole game is the endgame” principle) and some other things (lol, i got baby in my lap and I can’t continue as I have to play Noddy or something)… you get the picture:)

Posted by: Northlander.4619

Northlander.4619

I like the game even though it certainly does not match the marketing. My greatest dissapointments are personal story (and instance) and bland dungeons.

However I find dynamic events and the heart system fun. There’s a bit lack in variety and after being through all of them with one character and most of them with other they lose luster, but they are certainly more fun than quests in other games.

The most interesting part for me have been jumping puzzles and exploration “surprises” like the pipe organs. I’d love to have more stuff like that littered around the maps so I have reason to revisit them even after full exploration. Those are the most enjoyable part of the world. Not to mention there’s surprising amount of variety in there. They are much more interesting than the bland dungeons!

I’ve also checked one of the new minidungeons and I love the dark room theme. I wish there were larger dungeons with similar theme – and that the minidungeon was not bugged. Heck combine a jumping puzzle, dark room and large scale dungeon with interesting boss fights and I’m hooked!

Lately I’ve been focusing on getting my Arah gear in order as well as getting the 100% map completion and those are actually a bit frustrating. I’m just missing two PoIs and a vista but can’t get those because they are in the Eternal battlegrounds and in enemy controlled area. Most Arah PuG runs also fail so after multiple 4-6 hours attempts that fail at lupus it sort of drains the fun and becomes a chore. It would help if the dungeon itself wasn’t so boring.

Posted by: Aden Celeste.3650

Aden Celeste.3650

Thank you Aaron, you just summarized how I feel about this game. My opinion: This is the best MMO ever made. Its huge, and will only get bigger, the graphics are amazing, the imagination put into towns, dungeons, and field are almost alien… I am having a blast on it.

Yesterday (thursday) I was playing on explorable mode of the ascalonian dungeon, and some people were complaining about the bugs in the dungeon. I definitely agree that things need to be ironed out, but people get frustrated for no reason and call out threats about leaving, saying the worlds are dead, etc. I understand them, although their frustration gets out of hand.

What Im trying to say is: GIVE THEM TIME. Anet IS working on this stuff, it only makes sense that they are because it is on their best interest! Im a web developer, and when a client of mine says theres a bug in their webpage or server, it takes TIME to fix!

Posted by: munkiman.3068

munkiman.3068

Constructive criticism is good, even if it comes in the form of pandering or the inverse, complaining. I Know ANet reads these forums and the judge what seems to be the most common issues to address. There will always be people that complain, just because, yet even those complaints are pretty valid ones. Here’s a few i find pretty valid, not in any particular order.

Legendaries being based on RNG in the forge. They did a few things right making these tough to acquire, however it feels as if they took a simple way out by basing them on extremely low drop rates.

Broken events. There are many and i do understand it’s not easy to predict how this will play out live, but it’s still troubling that there are so many of them.

Heart events feel very samey. These really are quests in a different wrapper and they very often repeat in basic structure. I hear this complaint a lot. It’s not game breaking, but it isn’t as innovative as it could be. There are some pretty memorable ones though, which is nice when you stumble into those.

The camera, in all seriousness is horrible. Not much to be said here really, it’s such a focus of any game and they simply dropped the ball. It’s not unplayable, but it’s pretty bad.

The story, it’s at best mediocre. This is troubling since they have in the past told a pretty inviting story that moved you through the content, but in some cases throughout the game it might be hours or days before you can reach the next step simply since you are pretty under-leveled. Not to mention it never really drew me in. Again they really dropped the ball here too, not that everyone even bothers with story in RPG’s, but the gaps in the plot and the characters being randomly sprinkled around never really inspired me to care.

Those are just a few more glaring issues i see talked about, some pretty big ones coming out of an RPG.

[TAO] Founder/Owner and Administrator for the NSP Server Website

Posted by: Gluttony.2017

Gluttony.2017

The world isnt dynamic and the content is way to easy. It really is just a work of art, like visiting a gallery to look at pictures with a little bit of action packed in.
Overall, the game has barley any lore, and the bit of lore it has you actually have to go wayyyy out your way to find it.
The content is so easy, the moment someone struggles with completing it massive QQ threads get started (Mad kings clock tower, 2nd path of CoE just to name some examples) because people arent used to any challenges anymore.
Their main focus point at level 80 is to aquire exotic skins, but considering that there are only what…. 2-3 stat options for each dungeon skin? Out of a dozen different stat options? So you have to buy fine transmutation stones if you want the skin you like + stats that you can actually use (unless you are lucky enough that the stats the set provides match up with your play style). Way to go anet!
I could keep on ranting, but overall the game has a lot of flaws.
Is it good? Yes. Although I didnt list any good points in this game, it has those. Is it “the best game mmo ever” no, not even close. Its a lot like Diablo 3 in that perspective. Good but far far below what it promised and was expected to be.

Overall ive had 253 Hours playtime and 90% map exploration. It was and still is worth the $60 I spend on it, and as long as free new content rolls in I play it again for a few hours. However, I highly doubt that I will pay for any additional content (may that be new content or cash shop items.)

Posted by: Caedmon.6798

Caedmon.6798

I’m seriously wondering why people are even on this forum when all they have to say about this game are negative things.if you honestly think the game is so bad,easy,and has nothing new to bring,why are you here ? Do you even still play the game ? Whats the point of it all besides boring people with your tldrdrdlrdlr ? And do you realize the game has been released for just 2 months,Did you play gw1 and think about how that game was when it just started,and how it turned out to be with all the added expansions ? There is soo much kitten bs on this forum it’s incredible.

Posted by: munkiman.3068

munkiman.3068

Negative things are necessarily bad things. These forums are here for support, to discover issues and trade info, there is always going to be a certain level of complaining also, it’s pretty standard fare for conversation. Many people will come here to tell other how they hate the game, it may not be constructively written, but it’s still feedback and it’s just as valuable as praise can be. But praise threads don’t really help improve the game or help foster changes that might have to do with quality of life, bugs, or other irritating things.

If you sit around with family and friends, inevitably there will be conversations that blame or provoke issues that occur in daily life, it’s not just going to vanish, no one has a perfect life without issues.

[TAO] Founder/Owner and Administrator for the NSP Server Website

aaron.7850

Negative things are necessarily bad things. These forums are here for support, to discover issues and trade info, there is always going to be a certain level of complaining also, it’s pretty standard fare for conversation. Many people will come here to tell other how they hate the game, it may not be constructively written, but it’s still feedback and it’s just as valuable as praise can be. But praise threads don’t really help improve the game or help foster changes that might have to do with quality of life, bugs, or other irritating things.

If you sit around with family and friends, inevitably there will be conversations that blame or provoke issues that occur in daily life, it’s not just going to vanish, no one has a perfect life without issues.

Constructive criticism is one thing, but most non-pvp complaints boil down to “This isnt WoW so I am quitting”.
Some folks here say the game is too easy, I used to raid in the other popular MMO and i find dungeons harder here, a bit TOO chaotic for my taste but certainly not easy. PVP is simply better in this game, aside from thieves and lack of spvp modes (give us capture the flag), I adore the fact that skill wins you battles, not gear.

Unrealistic expectations and the game not being WoW 2.0 is the main source of angst and negativity around here. Quite frankly, I wish people would just stop saying “game is dying” or “too late”. The game is so young and my server is VERY active even on low level zones.

Posted by: Lankybrit.4598

Lankybrit.4598

I agree with you OP. I’ve played WoW for 4 years and recently stopped. This game is a breath of fresh air. Playing a Norn now, and it was such great fun taking down that level 15 elite with tons of other players. Reviving others while some people are still fighting and all heading back into the fight is great. Co-operation is the name of the game in GW2, not Competition like it was with WoW. Great game.

Cheers.

My Life in Tyria: http://lankygw2blog.blogspot.com/
Updated every Monday

Posted by: Saidor.7028

Saidor.7028

If people pay for a product and it isn’t up to the standard they expected then they the right to complain about it. The issue is whether or not their complaints are legitimate and whether or not anything can be done about it.

It’s somewhat irrelevant that the game is only a few months old. They’ve had a 1st game to build on and plenty of time to get things right in terms of style and content.

Posted by: bojangles.6912

bojangles.6912

1- “Hearts and Dynamic Events are just like regular quests, kill this, protect that..”

Easily the most common complaint people have, and I simply cant understand the reasoning, its like complaining about Super Mario Galaxy because all you do is jump and collect stars, or complain about Portal 2 because all you do is complete puzzles and ride elevators.

What did you expect? Its a fantasy RPG, of course you are going to spend most of your time protecting villages and killing bad guys and collecting treasure, that’s the ENTIRE point of the genre! This game did it in a way I have never seen an MMO do it, I actually enjoy exploring every corner of Tyria and completing every heart and D/E I see, I agree that there is more room for variety but this is a huge step foward in the genre, this game spoiled me in a way that I could never go back to older questing models.

When I hit 80, I still had only 60% of the entire map explored, I am still working on exploring all the map and finishing every single heart and vista and skill point, when I am tired of exploring I run dungeons and do WvWvW and complete puzzles, I am still probably missing a lot of activities that I am unaware of but the point is.. this game offers a LOT of content, and much more is being added on top of no subscription fee!. What more can we ask for?

The game isn’t perfect, stealth is too strong in pvp, tagging mobs in orr can be difficult for some classes, finding groups for dungeons is rather punitive, and home cities desperately need more tourists, but a game this young did so many other things right, i am not worried for time and patience will wash away all the minor flaws.

Excelsior

Cool glad you like it but this is all just you opinion. This is by far not the best mmo to date. I would rate it #5. SWG was even better.

The questing system is horrible and not sure which game you are playing but the hearts and dynamic events are NOTHING like quests. Well the heart one is I will say but you only get to do one per area but that is just like doing 1 quest. The dynamic events are the same 3 everywhere and extremely boring and repetitive. You either escort, kill a boss or defend an area. Then you need to keep farming those in that area if you want to level for the next zone.

Finishing a zone 5-6 levels under to where you HAVE to go to a new starter zone to catch up is ridiculous.

Using exploration as content/end game excuse just shows you how much content lacks. Exploration is a poor excuse for content.

But to each is own. Maybe once they fix things and add more content the huge drop off of people leaving the game may start to level off.

Posted by: bojangles.6912

bojangles.6912

I’m seriously wondering why people are even on this forum when all they have to say about this game are negative things.if you honestly think the game is so bad,easy,and has nothing new to bring,why are you here ? Do you even still play the game ? Whats the point of it all besides boring people with your tldrdrdlrdlr ? And do you realize the game has been released for just 2 months,Did you play gw1 and think about how that game was when it just started,and how it turned out to be with all the added expansions ? There is soo much kitten bs on this forum it’s incredible.

People purchased this game like so why are we not allowed to post what we want? Only positive things allowed? Check other gaming forums. This goes on everywhere. People can post as many negative things they want just like those posting positives.

Posted by: Ebon.7641

Ebon.7641

People purchased this game like so why are we not allowed to post what we want? Only positive things allowed? Check other gaming forums. This goes on everywhere. People can post as many negative things they want just like those posting positives.

Because it’s always the same people whining about the same things. These people aren’t giving any useful criticism – instead it’s vitriolic hate that does nothing for no one and reveals more about the person saying it than the game itself.

(edited by Ebon.7641)

Posted by: lacrimstein.5603

lacrimstein.5603

Because it’s always the same people whining about the same things. These people aren’t giving any useful criticism – instead it’s vitriolic hate that does nothing for no one and reveals more about the person saying it than the game itself.

Most criticism I see on here is actually useful, imho: People wanting a deeper skill system, more things to do at 80, a more meaningful quest system, etc. On the contrary, I see posts (not necessarily this one) that are basically copies the ArenaNet’s MMO Manifesto word-for-word, with “ERMAGD BEST GAEM EVA! L2P OR GO PLAY WITH PANDAS LOL” tacked on at the end, followed by posts of people saying stuff like “Yea I agree lol!”, “Good points OP!”, “You sure showed those haters!”. What posts are “useful” must be a matter of perspective, I guess. I agree, developers need encouragement too. But when empty praise is considered “useful” and any criticism is not, its just not good for the game.

(edited by lacrimstein.5603)

Posted by: Agenteusa.6380

Agenteusa.6380

If people pay for a product and it isn’t up to the standard they expected then they the right to complain about it.

Excuse me?

If the game isn’t up to your standard the only right you should have is to go find a game that meets your standards.

There’s a thin line between complaining and whining and your post suggests you’re more focused on the latter.

I don’t understand people sometimes (well most of the time tbh). Me, when I don’t enjoy a game , even if I had high standards for it, I quit .

I don’t fill the forums with useless threads just because I have the right to express myself.

That said and to comment on a few posts imo Wow was and is a good game it’s just that I don’t get enjoyment out of it anymore.

GW2 is a different game but also a good game.

One has some good points the other has other good points. End of story.

Play what you feel like and what you enjoy. If you don’t enjoy please don’t feel entitled to demand that a game has to be what you regard in your expectations.

Posted by: Yzen.1256

Yzen.1256

That’s some very shallow RPGing you’ve been doing if you think that’s the point of the genre. If I’m going to play a Thief, you can bet that he’s not interested in “protecting villages and killing bad guys and collecting treasure,” as much as robbing villages and killing anyone with a price on their head and stealing treasure. And that’s just one example.

People are disappointed because the “d” in dynamic events is extremely lowercase; they’re just retooled quests ala WoW, static, repeatable, and unaffecting of both the world and your character. It’s the same spoonfed content we’ve been getting in recent RPGs.

(edited by Yzen.1256)

Posted by: krojack.4920

krojack.4920

I agree for the most part but like ANY game today (console, PC, 1st person, MMORPG) they can all be played though quickly. At that point they lose their appeal. Some people lost interest and others seem to enjoy leveling every class to max before losing interest.

80 Sylvari Ranger – Jade Quarry
» My current Guild Wars 2 game annoyances

Posted by: Rvue.1839

Rvue.1839

At the end of the day, GW2 is just another relatively standard themepark. Take it or leave it.

Posted by: OrangeMint.7980

OrangeMint.7980

I think this game is pretty decent, very fun. Sure there are problems here and there, which I hope they are fixing, but overall I feel there is more than enough content for me to enjoy this game.

Posted by: Reihert.1509

Reihert.1509

Cant complain about the game.
It is fun and inovative.

Posted by: CelticWish.2314

CelticWish.2314

This must be the first MMO you’ve ever played…this game, while mildly entertaining is far from the best at anything to be honest, no matter which way you look at it, there is nothing this game does better than any other MMO.

I think world venturing is superior to any other mmo I’ve played. The way they move you along, how they present it, how people can come together and get fair credit for a goal imo does make a real difference. I do look forward to 100% map completion. Typically I don’t like mmo world venturing, generic as can be, so it was how immersive and fun their instances were and those games are rare to. There isn’t that many good mmo’s out there imo. GW2 open world is way ahead of anything else, spawn rates really the only real nit-pick I have.

Give me GW2 Open World and DDO’s Instances and you have the giant killer everyone has talked about like the 80’s Great White Hope.

(edited by CelticWish.2314)

Posted by: Ditton.3149

Ditton.3149

i never thought much of DDO instances. Havent played in a while, but the “raid” content was little more than..jump through the right hoop, tank…heal…DPS when told to…rinse and repeat until dead. now the exploration within the instance was sometimes fun…finding which glyph to read in order to take the right path to the boss you wanted etc..

Posted by: DieScream.6972

DieScream.6972

It’s a perfectly fine game, but I can’t stay interested in any of the content long enough to even cap one character. Everything just feels like a grind, I’m not a xp bar watcher normally, but one trait every 5 levels is not sufficient to keep me interested. I usually have most of the utility skills I’ll ever use early on in the late 20’s.
There’s just nothing to get attached to I suppose.

Posted by: oflow.2157

oflow.2157

the game is good but its till very vanilla IMHO. The TP is pretty bad (I personally think all the servers using the same TP is a bad idea the TP is just flooded with stuff from multiboxing farmers and its not easy for a new player to sell anything), the UI needs a lot of work (at least in the sPvP side), theres way too many buggy abilities, crafting isnt that great and the RNG side of having to do things with the Mystic Forge also kinda sucks. I also think the cost of things in gems is pretty imbalanced/overpriced. $10 for a 1 hour buff is kinda chincy.

Posted by: Navzar.2938

Navzar.2938

While technically hearts are just a do this x times quest, I like them a lot more because they allow me to choose which way to fill them and give various options. Much better than the old one option set repetitions quest imo.
There is still a lot do after lvl 80, I agree that the amount of content is good, but that’s not the only reason I’d want more lvl 80 areas.

As far as end game content goes, I would like a little more. This isn’t because I think there’s nothing to do, but rather because I like having more challenging content. It’s probably a result of playing gw1 for so long, where the majority of content was max level (which was only 20). This means that as we got to higher zones, the content got more challenged because the creatures kept leveling and getting better skills/AI while we were stuck at 20, meaning players actually had to get better. Going back to other areas is pretty easy, even if I’m downleveled, so it’d be nice to get some more challenging pve that I can do in parts, rather than a committed 4 hours like Arah.

Posted by: Robbyx.1284

Robbyx.1284

I think world venturing is superior to any other mmo I’ve played. The way they move you along, how they present it, how people can come together and get fair credit for a goal imo does make a real difference. I do look forward to 100% map completion. Typically I don’t like mmo world venturing, generic as can be, so it was how immersive and fun their instances were and those games are rare to. There isn’t that many good mmo’s out there imo. GW2 open world is way ahead of anything else, spawn rates really the only real nit-pick I have.

Give me GW2 Open World and DDO’s Instances and you have the giant killer everyone has talked about like the 80’s Great White Hope.

LOTRO’s world exploration is far superior in my opinion, i have never had such a sense of being alone and in danger as i have in LOTRO, GW2 feels cramped and forced compared to it….DDO’s skills, spells and character customization are second to none in my opinion.

Give me GW2s open world events, LOTRO’s world map size and exploration with DDO’s skills, spells and character customization and you would have the top fantasy MMO on the market.

Posted by: Moatzart.7302

Moatzart.7302

I have played two sessions sofar. I liked the big city and was fighting though the farmlands. But it has started to get boring soon enough. Graphics are detailed but the style of it isn’t that compelling. The pve wasn’t very exciting so I went to do some tournaments and I think it’s probably guildwars2’s best part.

Posted by: Aevic.9675

Aevic.9675

Excelsior

Urgh, both your arguments for each really didn’t defeat any of the complaints really…

1. Hearts

Yeah sure they are all over and range from defending a village to killing this and that but none of them are unique. You do the same thing at the same time with the same result. A big thing this game boasted was that I would level through the game a second time and it would not be the same each time. But it is… every single part of it is the exact same thing.

2. Plenty to do @ 80

Exploring is fun… but when I have to WALK everywhere to explore it gets really boring. Nose bleeding type boredom. I hate to say it but mounts would have been nice in this game, have it follow you around and when you need it, mount it.

WvWvW is fun but also gets repetitive after a while, I can play it for maybe an hour or so before I start to hate the fact I have to walk everywhere only to get killed by someone and have to run all the way back to where I was.

Can’t comment on dungeons as I’ve heard they aren’t that great. I haven’t touched them yet myself to comment.

Game is fun for an afternoon hour of play, but then I drop it and go play something else. For an MMO that is suppose to grip me in for hours, it doesn’t do it.