in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Morena.9604

Morena.9604

*If you like gear progression… this game isn’t for you
*If you like playing a certain role in trinity… this game isn’t for you
*If you like raids… this game isn’t for you
*If you like mounts… this game isn’t for you
*If you like amateur pvp with different modes… this game isn’t for you
*If you like semi-amateur pvp with ladders etc like wow… this game isn’t for you
*If you like pro-pvp like moba… this game isn’t for you
*If you like real open world pvp… this game isn’t for you
*Most importantly if you like to have a goal… this game isn’t for you

‘this game isn’t for you’ is a common reply to many posts and it is sadly and actually a true reply for the most posts. I really believe that devs prepared this game for a really specific(even unique) type of a player base.

This game isn't for you...

Posted by: Ishiga.6053

Ishiga.6053

I was just reading a short thread about someone getting bored with the lack of gear grind.

I smiled a bit inside.

Not everyone has the composure to farm the same banal content over and over until they have the bestest best baubles and lord it over people. This game is for people that want to be on primarily equal footing.

Take myself for example. I’m a tried and true “medium-core” gamer. I love a nice complex system and a few long-term goals to work toward but especially difficult content or unfriendly people cripplingly frustrate me. I can’t stand dungeons due to the incessant number of overpowered damage dealing "whatever"s, I’d be WILLING to try fractals if the elitists weren’t hoarding all the parties, that sort of thing.

And it turns out I don’t have to do things that way, I can get my gear for the most part from other content to get in a better spot and THEN try some of that harder content again IF I choose.

I’m happy for that personally. This game IS for me.

Posted by: Azjenco.9425

Azjenco.9425

I think GW2 wanted to integrate so many different styles of gameplay, to appeal to such a wide variety of players, that the eventual way everything was incorporated ended up making it focused on a very specific type of player.

It sounds odd, but if you look at the game it is sort of true.

Posted by: Ishiga.6053

Ishiga.6053

I think GW2 wanted to integrate so many different styles of gameplay, to appeal to such a wide variety of players, that the eventual way everything was incorporated ended up making it focused on a very specific type of player.

It sounds odd, but if you look at the game it is sort of true.

I agree. This game appeals to few people I know that came from other games solely because they played those games BECAUSE of how they were built. Coming to this was amusingly jarring for them.

Posted by: TheDaiBish.9735

TheDaiBish.9735

I’m not seeing the problem, since ANet said well before launch the game wouldn’t have any of these things.

This is entirely subjective, and in no way true.

Life is a journey.
Time is a river.
The door is ajar.

Posted by: Morena.9604

Morena.9604

I’m not seeing the problem, since ANet said well before launch the game wouldn’t have any of these things.

Yes , i need to fix the word ‘goal’. i am sorry for that. I was ment to say raid/gear/mount/pvp etc progression.

Posted by: TheDaiBish.9735

TheDaiBish.9735

Yes , i need to fix the word ‘goal’. i am sorry for that. I was ment to say raid/gear/mount/pvp etc progression.

Maybe a better way of wording it would have been ‘If you want these as your goal…’

Life is a journey.
Time is a river.
The door is ajar.

Posted by: Selebrity.7469

Selebrity.7469

“you dont need anything” gets thrown around frequently. Yea I can survive without skillbooks…fun times. Realistically players want at least COMPLETE characters.
My mind was set on just exploration, no needs. Thats new to me and I was willing to try it. I logged in and explored, careful not to die much, no wp, saving crafting mats for future crafting: because I dont need money amirite??

The I saw someone give advice in mapchat: by level x u need x amount of gold for skillbook…

What the kitten?? I made some research and yes I will need TONS (for me it was tons) of money to complete my character. So the moneymaking was on, and my playstyle changed. I was probably supposed to stop the moneymaking after the skillbooks but it doesnt work like that: you cant give an exjunkie a party goodiebag and think its gonna be a one time trip.

Another thing: I quickly realised thar a chunk of early players have made insane amounts of money due to bugs and exploits and whatever that is not available anymore. You know those countries where people are told that they dont need wealth and luxury and yet theres a chunk of rich citizens: doesnt work too well does it…

Posted by: Mercucial.6759

Mercucial.6759

“you dont need anything” gets thrown around frequently. Yea I can survive without skillbooks…fun times. Realistically players want at least COMPLETE characters.
My mind was set on just exploration, no needs. Thats new to me and I was willing to try it. I logged in and explored, careful not to die much, no wp, saving crafting mats for future crafting: because I dont need money amirite??

The I saw someone give advice in mapchat: by level x u need x amount of gold for skillbook…

What the kitten?? I made some research and yes I will need TONS (for me it was tons) of money to complete my character. So the moneymaking was on, and my playstyle changed. I was probably supposed to stop the moneymaking after the skillbooks but it doesnt work like that: you cant give an exjunkie a party goodiebag and think its gonna be a one time trip.

Another thing: I quickly realised thar a chunk of early players have made insane amounts of money due to bugs and exploits and whatever that is not available anymore. You know those countries where people are told that they dont need wealth and luxury and yet theres a chunk of rich citizens: doesnt work too well does it…

What are you talking about…..seriously.

The trait books are like 2 gold or something for the highest tier trait book. You get that just from doing hearts as you’re leveling and collecting the money in your mail from completing the hearts.

Posted by: Aegis.9724

Aegis.9724

I dont know if i agree with the OP
Being a former gw1 player, in my eyes its the exact opposite.
Gw2 tries to appeal to a MUCH WIDER audience of players, including many elements that were loved by wow-ish mmos, while innovating enough to give a reason to such players to make the transition.

Tries to do too much, and please too many people, getting down to compromises that make make the game more accessible but more shallow in the long term.

Posted by: digiowl.9620

digiowl.9620

Tho more so because we are all padlocked to DPS with variable output than anything else. And this largely to avoid SPVP bunker builds becoming overpowering.

Posted by: Michael.3279

Michael.3279

To the OP…

This game isn’t for you.

Posted by: Shimond.2478

Shimond.2478

Very few people will enjoy everything the game has to offer, but most will find something to enjoy in it. I believe that is by design.

Posted by: Noerknhar.3826

Noerknhar.3826

lack of gear grind? try getting a legendary. you’ll rename it to Grind Wars 2 then.

Enuerus Derune – Necromancer, Sylvari
[NO] ~ Ponys Will Never Die

Posted by: Seras.5702

Seras.5702

This game is for me. Fun-centric play is better than gear-centric play. I don’t want to feel obligated to grind the same dungeon every day just for +5power. I want to enjoy leveling alts (which I do frequently) and playing through PvE maps without taking a hit on the challenge, fun, or drops (thanks auto-scaling!). I like 8 professions that each feel very different. I like being able to PvP at any level and hot-join matches as a casual PvPer. I like access to dungeons at multiple levels, not just max. I like no gear treadmill or dps-calculators for people who like to brandish their kitten. I like being able to join multiple guilds (personal friends, large active guild, PvP oriented, etc). I’m not saying I don’t have some complaints; what game is 100% perfect for anyone? But this game is for me.

Flixx Gatebuster, Orwynn Lightgrave, Seras Snapdragon
[TTBH] [HATE], Yak’s Bend(NA)

Posted by: Craywulf.5793

Craywulf.5793

I love how there’s an assumption that GW2 is the first and only game that a person realized after playing it that game isn’t for you. Does this REALLY need to be announced as if the problem is game?

I can’t tell you how many games I bought over my life that I’ve played and realized I’m just not into as much I thought or it wasn’t what I thought it would be. I simply chalked it up as personal matter. I didn’t go ranting and raving about it like it’s someone else’s (ArenaNet) problem.

Own up to it, You’re either into GW2 or you’re not. Stop complaining!

Posted by: Scumbag Mawile.6384

Scumbag Mawile.6384

Complaining about flaws to the people who’re supposed to fix them makes sense.

There are too many people unsatisfied with the game. It’s incomplete, and not just in some ever-growing-game sense. +1 to OP, when the play is balanced and rewards more than one very ‘special’ part of the audience, GW2 will go from highly-liked to highly-loved in my mind.

Disciple of Quag

Posted by: Mujen.2089

Mujen.2089

The game isn’t for a lot of people, esp if you’re fond of big named MMORPGs. The problem is that there’s not many new games & people get tired of their old game only to discover the grass isn’t greener on the other side. I will probably go back to WoW or hopefully FFXIV (A realm reborn is in beta currently) as will many other players. GW2 is setup for the casual gamer, those with limited time, or those who want a simple yet beautiful game to play. that’s just how it is. It’s not a successor to GW1, it may have most of the same professions but it’s not the same.

Posted by: Idunaz.5317

Idunaz.5317

I got bored with the game because the game is boring. Pretty simple. Not much depth.

Posted by: clay.7849

clay.7849

I got bored with the game because the game is boring. Pretty simple. Not much depth.

Yea, this game definitely isn’t for people that want to do something that requires skill or any degree of difficulty.

OP, can you add that to your list too?

Posted by: Minion of Vey.4398

Minion of Vey.4398

I’m fine with the loot and what they’ve got set up. Not perfect but it’s alright for me.

Mainly have issue with the variety of gameplay and how you interact with the game. Seems like the game could use to have a few more skills accessible to the player at a time than they do.

Not having loads of hotbars with 50+ skills or anything, but more like…weapons with 7 abilities instead of 5.

Posted by: Jemmi.6058

Jemmi.6058

*If you like semi-amateur pvp with ladders etc like wow… this game isn’t for you

‘this game isn’t for you’ is a common reply to many posts and it is sadly and actually a true reply for the most posts. I really believe that devs prepared this game for a really specific(even unique) type of a player base.

This post is inaccurate. Liking those things != Only liking those things.

I like having a healing role in Trinity… I also like this game.
I like having mounts … I also like this game.
I like gear progression… I also like this game.

Pointless thread is pointless.

On another note: I am sure the Devs would like to please everyone or as much people as they can. If a large # of people want something, then let them ask for it. Unless the addition of what they want is a hinderance to your enjoyment of the game. If that is the case, say so and why – do not say this game isn’t for you. “This game isn’t for you” is the weakest and laziest argument ever.

Thank you.

Posted by: Flamenco.3894

Flamenco.3894

This game isn’t for you if you don’t want it

Prince Rurik and Lady Althea. Anyone else see the incompatibilty here?

Posted by: Kraggy.4169

Kraggy.4169

Another thing: I quickly realised thar a chunk of early players have made insane amounts of money due to bugs and exploits and whatever that is not available anymore.

As a newish player this is one thing I find pretty depressing, if you weren’t around to be able to use the numerous exploits before they were fixed you’re basically screwed before you start, the economy is broken in so many ways due to the easy way gold, precursors, etc. etc. were available ‘back in the day’.

Posted by: Shootsfoot.9276

Shootsfoot.9276

Yea, this game definitely isn’t for people that want to do something that requires skill or any degree of difficulty.

It amuses me that GW2 players take pride in the fact there is very little elitism in the game, yet threads like these are dripping with it.

Posted by: ShadowMaster.5708

ShadowMaster.5708

Well, i agree with everything, BUT the last point. “If you like having a goal”… This is wrong. I have had a goal of a legendary for 3 months now, and im coming to an end. I loved the journey (Not yet, some small bits left and the kitten precursor ;s) and im having fun. it keeps me motivated to play, do dungeons and other fun things with my guild, since i know i will get rewarded in the end.

And when im done with it, im going for eye of rodgort. There are plenty of goals in this game

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

I don’t think that this game is made for a very narrow audience at all. I think this game is made for an audience most people don’t realize is as large as it is. Let me give you a couple of examples.

Games like Skyrim or Dragon Age or The Witcher are all popular games. They’re games about people who like RPGs. MMORPGs have had the letters in the name for a long time, but the love of exploring and the world detail have largely been ignored by companies. Very few companies really wanted to make a living world. That’s why everything in WoW ends up in dungeons and raids, and people standing around cities.

But when you actually poll the WoW playerbase, you end up with a whole lot more people who solo than anyone expected and a whole lot less raiders. More to the point, Scott Hartsman, the lead developer of Rift, said (and I’m paraphrasing here, it was a long time ago), no MMO developer in his right mind could possibly ignore those who play MMOs solo because it’s such a large percentage of the playerbase. Even the Guild Wars 2 FAQ has a question about being able to solo.

The thing is, since the people who play games for immersion often do solo, no one knows what they think. They don’t have to come to forums to exchange builds, or group with people, or find out about dungeon runs, or the best min/max builds. They just play the game.

There’s a whole lot of us out here. No one knows how many. Why? Because when you’re a raider there’s a very specific activity you do, and you KNOW you’re a raider. When you’re a PvPer there’s a very specific activity you’re into. But when you’re an immersion player, just enjoying the open world exploring and having fun, there’s no real name for that. So many people I’ve talked to share my play style, but there’s no word for it, because you’re not really doing any specific activity.

I believe that Guild Wars 2 is popular for players like me, because other MMOs don’t even take us into account most of the time.

Posted by: Flamenco.3894

Flamenco.3894

This game is much better than WoW imo, yet around 12 million players or more played, play or are playing WoW.

Do you see where I am going with this? Not everything in the world makes sense if you have an agenda, but if you are open-minded and continuously put your presumptions on the test by empirical evidende you might open up your third eye and realize you are an alien from mars

Prince Rurik and Lady Althea. Anyone else see the incompatibilty here?

Posted by: Mosharn.8357

Mosharn.8357

the pvp in this game doesnt feel hardcore :/

Posted by: Mujen.2089

Mujen.2089

I’m with TwoBit.. the past 7 days I’ve spent more time on the forums than in the game. It’s a sign i’ve lost interest in the actual game & rather just see the ideas & discussions of the players.

Yes there is this elitist mentality in this game that hey, we like it the way it is, ascended gear has ruined our lovely game and we want everyone to be the same. I started a thread to ask people what it is they spend all their time in this game doing then, because I have run out of things to do that appeal to me.. so far it’s mostly dailies/wvw & chatting.. Dailies takes like 20-25mins?

Posted by: Xaviar.2468

Xaviar.2468

This and The OP, i kinda feel the same.

“How can you enslave people when their mothers bore them as free men?”
— ‘Umar ibn al-Khattab (radiaAllahu ‘anhu)

clay.7849

It amuses me that GW2 players take pride in the fact there is very little elitism in the game, yet threads like these are dripping with it.

So making a game difficult is synonymous with elitism?

Posted by: SallyStitches.4096

SallyStitches.4096

There are plenty of goals to reach in GW2. Legendaries are just 1 goal, along with achievements, FoTM progression, map completion, WvW and PvE titles, and much more. The “if you like to have a goal” argument is weak. The only “goal” people seem to complain about lacking is the gear treadmill (aka raiding), and if people did any actual research on a game before jumping into it, they’d be far less disappointed.

Posted by: Arekai.5698

Arekai.5698

Because 90% of the time you chase invisible players and wait for them to unstealth.
There will never be action in this game with such bullkitten mechanics that solely rely on waiting.

SallyStitches.4096

I actually understand what the OP you quoted is saying. So many people are used to games like WoW where everything is just handed to them, and they come here and complain about every little thing. It has nothing to do with elitism, it’s just what many of us see on a daily basis on forums or map chat.

SallyStitches.4096

Because 90% of the time you chase invisible players and wait for them to unstealth.
There will never be action in this game with such bullkitten mechanics that solely rely on waiting.

There is a post about them getting rid of culling in WvW. Do people actually read anymore?

Shootsfoot.9276

Number one, if you think this game is difficult, well, this game isn’t for you.

Number two, no, making a game difficult isn’t synonymous with elitism. Insinuating somebody doesn’t have skills because they don’t necessarily agree with some parts of a game most definitely is.

Shootsfoot.9276

I actually understand what the OP you quoted is saying. So many people are used to games like WoW where everything is just handed to them, and they come here and complain about every little thing. It has nothing to do with elitism, it’s just what many of us see on a daily basis on forums or map chat.

I’m sorry, but “Go back to WoW” responses to people voicing their opinions in these threads are most certainly elitist attitudes.

And the idea that “everything is handed” to people playing WoW is a pretty humorous statement when all you have to do in this game to get fully-geared is plop down a bunch of money to get gems, turn them to gold, and buy it on the TP.

Posted by: ZudetGambeous.9573

ZudetGambeous.9573

There is plenty of gear progression: White→blue→green→yellow→orange→Pink→Purple, there is more progression in this game and it takes longer then most games on the market. If you want gear progression then this is the ultimate game for you!

If you strictly like only 3 roles then I guess this game isn’t for you, but Gw2 has 4-5 unique roles that greatly expand the trinity system. We still have straight up DPS, always a classic. Instead of tanks we have defensive buffers. Classes that offer defensive boons to their party. We have offensive buffers. Builds that boost party damage by sharing offensive boons. We have control players. Players that debuff enemies and disable them. We have Utility players who use a variety of banners/shouts/traps, etc to provide unikittenfects to the group. There are more roles in this game then many classic MMO’s, but it certainly is in no way shape or form roleless like you are implying. So if you like diverse and meaningful roles then this game is certainly for you.

If you like raids then this game is most certainly for you. There are huge world bosses that require 20-30 people. There are guild missions which require 50+ people. There are small tightly focused dungeons that require 5 people. They are still adding things, but the raiding environment is slowly becoming more and more prevalent as time goes on. Once they finish revamping the world bosses this game will have more relevant raids then any other game around.

I can’t say I’ve ever met anyone that played a game solely for mounts? Why would that even be a motivation to play a game? I don’t understand this statement…

I’m not going to comment on PvP because I haven’t done enough of it to say one way or the other with any meaningful opinion.

There are more goals in this game then any game I have ever played. Map completion is rewarded, completing all the jumping puzzles is rewarded. Getting the highest cultural armor is rewarded. Getting a legendary is rewarded. WvW armor. PvP rank. Unique skins. Fractal progression. Achievements. I’ve played over 600 hours and still only have about half my goals done and they just keep adding more. If you like having long term goals then this game is your dream come true!

So basically nothing you said is actually true…

Posted by: pricer.5091

pricer.5091

If you like raids then this game is most certainly for you. There are huge world bosses that require 20-30 people. There are guild missions which require 50+ people. There are small tightly focused dungeons that require 5 people.

The rest of your post, fine, it’s personal what people consider “end-game”. But the above is just incorrect. The fact that you require a lot of people to do something does not make a raid. Raiding is about communication, tactics and peoples understanding of the tactics and ability to execute them, not simply numbers. There are very few, if any, events in this game that cannot be completed withabsolutely NO communication at all. That, is not raiding.

And the world bosses in particular are just massive zerg and rez fests. Fact.

Posted by: Shimond.2478

Shimond.2478

Technically Pink > Purple in stats (since legendaries use exotic stats, not ascended – another bizarre design choice). Here’s hoping by the time they get around to real ascended weapons (or design legendary armor) they buff legendaries accordingly.

Posted by: kiresays.4937

kiresays.4937

The game is fun. What more do people ask for from a game?

I play Wv3 because it’s fun. I enjoy going in there and playing. I can do my dailies (for the most part) by just playing. I don’t have to grind anything. If you do grind anything it’s purely by choice; not because you need to.

To many people treat their mmo like it’s a job and they have to always keep up with their work. Why?

Posted by: Red Falcon.8257

Red Falcon.8257

I’m actually happy this game isn’t for some people.
I don’t want people obsessed with raids, mounts, trinity gimmicks and other stuff to play GW2.

Though the game lacks depth, that’s true.
The whole “we’re scared to change anything to classes” policy ends up making the classes stagnant and not a lot more balanced than the other counterparts.
The whole “we don’t want a big skill/trait pool because we’re afraid of buildmakers” isn’t helping build variety too, infact classes have 1-3 viable builds only.

Anet, sometimes to make a good product you need to take some risks.
Not doing changes is safer but leads to lack of depth / stagnation.
Doing too many leads to unbalance / chaos.
You need to find a middle ground.

Posted by: Rukia.4802

Rukia.4802

But… GW2 does have gear (stat) progression.

“I find this rain quite pleasant, it feels as though raindrops are blessing our victory”

Posted by: IndigoSundown.5419

IndigoSundown.5419

Copying WoW worked fabulously for SWtOR and TERA. Look! They went FTP so even more people can enjoy them. /sarcasm

Why must all games be the same? Companies that try to copy the standard stuff are criticized for not being innovative and for leaving out (insert feature x, which many people cannot do without). Companies that try something new are criticized for not including all of the old standbys and for not being innovative enough. The gaming customer base is broad and diverse enough that no game is going to get “it” right for everyone.

I’m not going to tell people who want the features in the OP to go elsewhere, but I am going to ask, "Given the pre-launch publicity of GW2, why did you buy it if you wanted all those features?

Posted by: Aeonblade.8709

Aeonblade.8709

Copying WoW worked fabulously for SWtOR and TERA. Look! They went FTP so even more people can enjoy them. /sarcasm

Why must all games be the same? Companies that try to copy the standard stuff are criticized for not being innovative and for leaving out (insert feature x, which many people cannot do without). Companies that try something new are criticized for not including all of the old standbys and for not being innovative enough. The gaming customer base is broad and diverse enough that no game is going to get “it” right for everyone.

I’m not going to tell people who want the features in the OP to go elsewhere, but I am going to ask, "Given the pre-launch publicity of GW2, why did you buy it if you wanted all those features?

Most companies claim they have the newest and most revolutionary MMO yet. That is nothing new, and it didn’t change my view about the game at all, I came into it expecting another MMO, and that’s pretty much what it is without proper aggro mechanics and grouping features, but with added bonuses like DEs, WvW, and Personal Story.

The combat is amazing and classes fun to play, and it did have some cool new ideas, I love WvW and no quest hubs, but on the whole, it didn’t really change anything about MMOs, and showed why trinity is as important as it is. If you are getting rid of aggro mechanics that work, at least have a working replacement.

Don’t take this as a bash post, because I have no intention on leaving this beautiful world Anet has created again anytime soon, but I didn’t expect anything groundbreaking with this game so maybe that’s why I’m enjoying it.

Anarai Aeonblade [GASM] – Guardian – DB
RIP my fair Engi and Ranger, you will be missed.

clay.7849

Number one, if you think this game is difficult, well, this game isn’t for you.

Number two, no, making a game difficult isn’t synonymous with elitism. Insinuating somebody doesn’t have skills because they don’t necessarily agree with some parts of a game most definitely is.

Ummm… I think you didn’t read the post correctly. I wrote:

Meaning, this game takes very little skill because it is so easy.

So, 1) clearly I think this game is easy and not difficult and 2) I never insinuated anyone didn’t have skill.

You wrote back to me:

Which clearly suggested that you thought the fact that I thought this game is easy means that it is dripping with elitism.

So, either you can’t understand what I’m trying to say or you are bending the truth because you realized you are wrong.

Posted by: Rukia.4802

Rukia.4802

@Aeon I think you hit the nail on the head there, and at least no one else is going to try removing trinity without a proper replacement, thank god. I don’t think combat is ‘amazing’ though, more of just meh. I like actually using my brain and strategizing which is why I loved GW1.

“I find this rain quite pleasant, it feels as though raindrops are blessing our victory”

Posted by: IndigoSundown.5419

IndigoSundown.5419

Most companies claim they have the newest and most revolutionary MMO yet. That is nothing new, and it didn’t change my view about the game at all, I came into it expecting another MMO, and that’s pretty much what it is without proper aggro mechanics and grouping features, but with added bonuses like DEs, WvW, and Personal Story.

The combat is amazing and classes fun to play, and it did have some cool new ideas, I love WvW and no quest hubs, but on the whole, it didn’t really change anything about MMOs, and showed why trinity is as important as it is. If you are getting rid of aggro mechanics that work, at least have a working replacement.

Don’t take this as a bash post, because I have no intention on leaving this beautiful world Anet has created again anytime soon, but I didn’t expect anything groundbreaking with this game so maybe that’s why I’m enjoying it.

This is an important point, because dashed expectations are the cause of a lot of the rage posts in game forums.

clay.7849

@Aeon I think you hit the nail on the head there, and at least no one else is going to try removing trinity without a proper replacement, thank god. I don’t think combat is ‘amazing’ though, more of just meh. I like actually using my brain and strategizing which is why I loved GW1.

The trinity is about balance, more than anything else.

Healing > DPS > Utlity > Healing

That’s really general, but it kind of get the point across. That is what we had in GW1.

Right now, we have DPS > Everything. Which isn’t balanced and makes game plan boring and stale.

I agree with you 100%, GW2 might have been able to turn the trinity in to something different that wasn’t just monk, tank and utility – but they didn’t. Instead, they tried and failed and nerfed the crap out of healing and utility while buffing DPS.

This is why GW1 PvP was better, why PvE was more challenging. I understand of wanting to get rid of the monk crutch (although I don’t think it was necessary) but they did a lousy job of making up for it.