However, these are the things I don’t really like about GW2:

- Heart of the Mists: in most other games, when you get gear, it helps
you. While I like the idea of players not getting a large advantage
over new players, I think everyone likes the incentive to actually do
something rather than just sit around. “If I play a round of spvp, then
I can get a little better gear.” At this point the only incentive is to look
cooler.
Well, I spent my first three months in sPvP until I got my
absolute favorite armor set in the game. Now? No incentive. Period.
Nothing at all. That is just not fun. What game has no incentive?

- WvW: This is where the incentive comes in. Every peice of gear
comes to assist you. Unlike sPvP, when you defeat someone, it
matters, a lot. You take forts and resources and make a lasting impact
on your world. This is so unique and awesome to me. I spent my first
three months in sPvP, but I finally could not resist the urge to engage
in WvW. I deposited my collectibles, and headed out of HotM into the
portal to Lions Arch. … And emerged as a level 6 character in whites
and blues. I was destroyed in WvW.

What other game does this? You would think that if I spent so long in
PvP, stomping faces and winning tournaments, that I would at least get
SOMETHING in WvW.
Why can’t WvW be a place where people who
like PvE and people who love PvP meet up and play on equal grounds?

That’s how it is in other games, and I feel like it is just ridiculous that sPv kitten o isolated! Integration isn’t that hard, but there is no excuse for not even trying!

I agree. This game is aimed a specific group of people. People who like a lot of small scale PvE, and a little PvP on the side.

If you are a casual gamer who loves PvP and a little PvE on the side: I am sorry, but this game is not for you.

(edited by Welswift.9813)

This game isn't for you...

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: FrizzFreston.5290

FrizzFreston.5290

You can’t pick an MMO where you can say that you like EVERYthing about it. It’s simply not possible. Hell there’s loads of people that say, I don’t like PvP. Does that mean this game isn’t for them? No.

Saying “this game isn’t for you” is a weak attempt to get people to stop talking negatively about the game they are playing, and liking to play. (regardless of whether it’s true or not).

It simply is hard to admit that these people are not enjoying certain content. Does that automatically mean this game isn’t for them? That’s total NONSENSE.

Sure GW2 doesn’t have everything for everyone. But that’s a long way from saying the game isn’t for them.

EDIT: Even the guy above me is talking about a very specific type of gameplay. It’s worth noting that in WvW, you indeed need to unlock all abilities first and progress through all the levels. Does that mean that every single causual game who likes PvP that also likes a bit of PvE is going to hate this game? No. No. and more no. If you think like that you’re putting people in boxes.

What you can say in such situations is simply say, this is how the game works, it takes a bit more PvE than you’re used to BUT you’re levelled to lvl 80 without the abilities and you have to unlock those all, and get the gear as well. I think many PvPers are merely waiting for custom arenas and spectator mode.

“It isn’t working!” CL4P-TP
Ingame Name: Guardian Erik

(edited by FrizzFreston.5290)

Posted by: Tasty Pudding.3764

Tasty Pudding.3764

This game isn’t for me because it isn’t actually a sequel to Guild Wars.

I like everything about GW1. I have spent the last few days playing vanilla Prophecies and everything about it was just pointing out that I don’t like much of anything in GW2. I would be less critical if GW2 had been properly called World of Tyria since the Guild Wars lore is the only part of Guild Wars in it.

Posted by: clay.7849

clay.7849

This game isn’t for me because it isn’t actually a sequel to Guild Wars.

I like everything about GW1. I have spent the last few days playing vanilla Prophecies and everything about it was just pointing out that I don’t like much of anything in GW2. I would be less critical if GW2 had been properly called World of Tyria since the Guild Wars lore is the only part of Guild Wars in it.

Yes, if you like GW1, then…. this game isn’t for you.

Posted by: Shootsfoot.9276

Shootsfoot.9276

So, either you can’t understand what I’m trying to say or you are bending the truth because you realized you are wrong.

Or you didn’t say it clearly enough because I wasn’t the only person who misunderstood you:

I got bored with the game because the game is boring. Pretty simple. Not much depth.

Yea, this game definitely isn’t for people that want to do something that requires skill or any degree of difficulty.

OP, can you add that to your list too?

It amuses me that GW2 players take pride in the fact there is very little elitism in the game, yet threads like these are dripping with it.

I actually understand what the OP you quoted is saying. So many people are used to games like WoW where everything is just handed to them, and they come here and complain about every little thing. It has nothing to do with elitism, it’s just what many of us see on a daily basis on forums or map chat.

Shootsfoot.9276

@Aeon I think you hit the nail on the head there, and at least no one else is going to try removing trinity without a proper replacement, thank god. I don’t think combat is ‘amazing’ though, more of just meh. I like actually using my brain and strategizing which is why I loved GW1.

The trinity is about balance, more than anything else.

Healing > DPS > Utlity > Healing

That’s really general, but it kind of get the point across. That is what we had in GW1.

Right now, we have DPS > Everything. Which isn’t balanced and makes game plan boring and stale.

I agree with you 100%, GW2 might have been able to turn the trinity in to something different that wasn’t just monk, tank and utility – but they didn’t. Instead, they tried and failed and nerfed the crap out of healing and utility while buffing DPS.

This is why GW1 PvP was better, why PvE was more challenging. I understand of wanting to get rid of the monk crutch (although I don’t think it was necessary) but they did a lousy job of making up for it.

I agree with this. As I’ve said before, I’m not married to any trilogy model, but I sure do miss the front/mid/back line model.

Posted by: Shimond.2478

Shimond.2478

Copying WoW worked fabulously for SWtOR and TERA. Look! They went FTP so even more people can enjoy them. /sarcasm

Why must all games be the same? Companies that try to copy the standard stuff are criticized for not being innovative and for leaving out (insert feature x, which many people cannot do without). Companies that try something new are criticized for not including all of the old standbys and for not being innovative enough. The gaming customer base is broad and diverse enough that no game is going to get “it” right for everyone.

I’m not going to tell people who want the features in the OP to go elsewhere, but I am going to ask, "Given the pre-launch publicity of GW2, why did you buy it if you wanted all those features?

Yea you can’t really blame the developers when they’ve been pretty honest on what the game is supposed to deliver (exception being the recent ascended/daily gear grind stuff). I think the biggest problem is the culture of hype that happens before a new MMO comes out, and in this case it wasn’t the developers feeding it – it was the players. GW2 was being proclaimed as the game to end all games by so many people that when it didn’t (and couldn’t) do that, well you get kitten off people posting on forums for a game they haven’t played in months (and likely never will again).

Posted by: Blacklight.2871

Blacklight.2871

Couldn’t the OP have been shortened to: if you like WoW, this game isn’t for you?

Which is still complete nonsense. I liked WoW, I like mounts and I have goals — just got my T3 cultural armor for my Thief, which is something I’ve wanted since like day -5. The 700+ hours I’ve spent in this game tells me that the game is in fact, for me.

Why can’t you agony merchants just go somewhere else if you can’t be happy here, instead of putting on these histrionic displays of misery? Just go. It’s what emotionally adjusted adults do.

Posted by: purpleskies.3274

purpleskies.3274

*If you like gear progression… this game isn’t for you
*If you like playing a certain role in trinity… this game isn’t for you
*If you like raids… this game isn’t for you
*If you like mounts… this game isn’t for you
*If you like amateur pvp with different modes… this game isn’t for you
*If you like semi-amateur pvp with ladders etc like wow… this game isn’t for you
*If you like pro-pvp like moba… this game isn’t for you
*If you like real open world pvp… this game isn’t for you
*Most importantly if you like to have a goal… this game isn’t for you

‘this game isn’t for you’ is a common reply to many posts and it is sadly and actually a true reply for the most posts. I really believe that devs prepared this game for a really specific(even unique) type of a player base.

To comment on your first point, so many people are now saying if you don’t like gear progression (ascended) this game isn’t for you.

Shootsfoot.9276

Copying WoW worked fabulously for SWtOR and TERA. Look! They went FTP so even more people can enjoy them. /sarcasm

Why must all games be the same? Companies that try to copy the standard stuff are criticized for not being innovative and for leaving out (insert feature x, which many people cannot do without). Companies that try something new are criticized for not including all of the old standbys and for not being innovative enough. The gaming customer base is broad and diverse enough that no game is going to get “it” right for everyone.

I’m not going to tell people who want the features in the OP to go elsewhere, but I am going to ask, "Given the pre-launch publicity of GW2, why did you buy it if you wanted all those features?

Well, pretty sure the vast majority here don’t want a WoW/Tera/whatever clone. But features found in those games don’t automatically make them bad, nor does it mean those people suggesting them should leave this game or question why they purchased it. LFG, guild management tools, a guild calendar, and improvements on dungeon mechanics are all examples of features this game needs and there are many more.

I do have to say, the boss mechanics in WoW raids are far, far superior to the boss mechanics in these dungeons. But, like I said, I can see they are working on tuning them, which is a good thing.

It would be kind of fun to be able to take a group of GW2 characters into a WoW dungeon or raid with GW2 aggro mechanics.

Posted by: clay.7849

clay.7849

So, either you can’t understand what I’m trying to say or you are bending the truth because you realized you are wrong.

Or you didn’t say it clearly enough because I wasn’t the only person who misunderstood you:

I got bored with the game because the game is boring. Pretty simple. Not much depth.

Yea, this game definitely isn’t for people that want to do something that requires skill or any degree of difficulty.

It amuses me that GW2 players take pride in the fact there is very little elitism in the game, yet threads like these are dripping with it.

I actually understand what the OP you quoted is saying. So many people are used to games like WoW where everything is just handed to them, and they come here and complain about every little thing. It has nothing to do with elitism, it’s just what many of us see on a daily basis on forums or map chat.

Well then I apologize if I wasn’t clear, I simply meant that the game is easy and requires very little skill.

Shootsfoot.9276

Well then I apologize if I wasn’t clear, I simply meant that the game is easy and requires very little skill.

Got it.

Posted by: Yenkin.5410

Yenkin.5410

As a very casual gamer, this game is for me, I like the fact that I can do just about anything I want without having gear gated content (with the exception of high level fractals). With luck I have 1 – 2 hours to play, with that I can do the daily and once a month get a amulet or ring, I have enough Karma for a full set of exotic gear when I can be bothered to decide which of my level 80 is worthy of the the set. (my ranger is already fully exotic geared)

When I can be bothered I do some crafting, do a few Dynamic events, do a few puzzles, do hearts, farm mats. For my 1 – 2 hours a day I think GW2 gives me good value for my 0$ per month.

Sorry gaming is just not that important, I love to log on, kill a few mobs, take down maw, do the daily and get off. So GW2 is for me.

Posted by: ebrown.8193

ebrown.8193

I was just reading a short thread about someone getting bored with the lack of gear grind.

I smiled a bit inside.

Not everyone has the composure to farm the same banal content over and over until they have the bestest best baubles and lord it over people. This game is for people that want to be on primarily equal footing.

Take myself for example. I’m a tried and true “medium-core” gamer. I love a nice complex system and a few long-term goals to work toward but especially difficult content or unfriendly people cripplingly frustrate me. I can’t stand dungeons due to the incessant number of overpowered damage dealing "whatever"s, I’d be WILLING to try fractals if the elitists weren’t hoarding all the parties, that sort of thing.

And it turns out I don’t have to do things that way, I can get my gear for the most part from other content to get in a better spot and THEN try some of that harder content again IF I choose.

I’m happy for that personally. This game IS for me.

Me too. You should give Fractals a shot though. It’s actually pretty fun. Just find a pug and let them know it’s your first time. You’d be surprised how many nice people are out there.

Posted by: Osolo.7408

Osolo.7408

people will complain either way… devs create something different they are called out for being so. if they create something just like wow they are called out for being a clone. Anet did something different and its not for all… but there are some of us that really appriciate something different.

I would like raids and raid gear… but im ok with what we have at he momwnt.

Posted by: Mosharn.8357

Mosharn.8357

the pvp in this game doesnt feel hardcore :/

Because 90% of the time you chase invisible players and wait for them to unstealth.
There will never be action in this game with such bullkitten mechanics that solely rely on waiting.

There is a post about them getting rid of culling in WvW. Do people actually read anymore?

he means thieves and mesmers having access to tons of stealths. They really need to take out the slow movement speed on combat. Thats all ways been a problem with games that do it. This game already has enough ways to stall combat and movement speed shouldn’t be lowered in a fight. Its stupid. It favors classes with more speed skills and your stuck crawling after them.

Posted by: Lankybrit.4598

Lankybrit.4598

If you like farming mobs for certain items – this isn’t the game for you either.

Diminishing returns is really bad. One of the reasons I left the game. I like the WoW model thanks very much.

Cheers.

My Life in Tyria: http://lankygw2blog.blogspot.com/
Updated every Monday

Posted by: IndigoSundown.5419

IndigoSundown.5419

Well, pretty sure the vast majority here don’t want a WoW/Tera/whatever clone. But features found in those games don’t automatically make them bad, nor does it mean those people suggesting them should leave this game or question why they purchased it. LFG, guild management tools, a guild calendar, and improvements on dungeon mechanics are all examples of features this game needs and there are many more.

I do have to say, the boss mechanics in WoW raids are far, far superior to the boss mechanics in these dungeons. But, like I said, I can see they are working on tuning them, which is a good thing.

It would be kind of fun to be able to take a group of GW2 characters into a WoW dungeon or raid with GW2 aggro mechanics.

I’m not convinced there is a vast majority in this game’s player-base that would agree about anything. I do expect some of the features you list to make it into GW2 sooner or later. I don’t expect the classic trinity to make an appearance, though, nor classic instanced raids.

When I found out tOR was using WoW style combat mechanics, I chose not to buy the game rather than buy it and then complain it didn’t have interesting combat. I asked my question because I was trying to wrap my head around why someone who wants certain features would buy a game that says it won’t have them? If I had to guess at the answer, I’d say they: bought the game without first checking it out; were misled by 3rd party site hype from ignorant fans; or expected that whatever features “replaced” the features they wanted would be better than they are finding it to be. However, since I am not in that demographic, I could be very wrong on all counts.

Posted by: Fiddlestyx.9714

Fiddlestyx.9714

*If you like semi-amateur pvp with ladders etc like wow… this game isn’t for you

‘this game isn’t for you’ is a common reply to many posts and it is sadly and actually a true reply for the most posts. I really believe that devs prepared this game for a really specific(even unique) type of a player base.

This game isn’t for me because it is not what it was advertised to be, but thanks.

Posted by: Mosharn.8357

Mosharn.8357

If you like farming mobs for certain items – this isn’t the game for you either.

Diminishing returns is really bad. One of the reasons I left the game. I like the WoW model thanks very much.

Cheers.

idk why they put DR in the game. Sure they tryna stop exploiters and bots but they hurtin the real population of players way more.

Posted by: Nanashi.6297

Nanashi.6297

I’m always wondering why people complain a game makes something different than another game.

If you like one part of a special game and an other game of the genre doesn’t have it then why are you playing it? Stay with the game you like more and be happy with it. Don’t come with that “But I want to play this game not the one with better parts”-bullkitten. I understand that you want to play GW but as soon as it gets boring you should stop playing it and start to play the game you like more(for most people this is probably WoW).

And it’s always the same. In every forum you read the same things.

For me GW2 is good as it is. Sure there are a few things which are not as I’d wish they are. But at least I don’t have to pay every month and still have fun with the game.

If something is not like you want it to be make a suggestion to the devs but don’t complain if they don’t change it. You payed for playing and not for deciding how the game has to be. If you don’t like the decision of devs go to a game where you like the decisions of devs (probably WoW. They will add all things players want).

Hell I understand why people in WoW forum cry if something is changed in a way they don’t like(at the moment it’s the best MMO for raiders and people who love farming gold or w/e) but it is ridiculous to cry here. Especially about things which were known even before release(for example that there are no healers or tanks). You ask why it is ridiculous? Because there are so many other games you could play and nearly all of them have all the things you miss in GW2

Posted by: Torvic.8256

Torvic.8256

I don’t think that this game is made for a very narrow audience at all. I think this game is made for an audience most people don’t realize is as large as it is. Let me give you a couple of examples.

Games like Skyrim or Dragon Age or The Witcher are all popular games. They’re games about people who like RPGs. MMORPGs have had the letters in the name for a long time, but the love of exploring and the world detail have largely been ignored by companies. Very few companies really wanted to make a living world. That’s why everything in WoW ends up in dungeons and raids, and people standing around cities.

But when you actually poll the WoW playerbase, you end up with a whole lot more people who solo than anyone expected and a whole lot less raiders. More to the point, Scott Hartsman, the lead developer of Rift, said (and I’m paraphrasing here, it was a long time ago), no MMO developer in his right mind could possibly ignore those who play MMOs solo because it’s such a large percentage of the playerbase. Even the Guild Wars 2 FAQ has a question about being able to solo.

The thing is, since the people who play games for immersion often do solo, no one knows what they think. They don’t have to come to forums to exchange builds, or group with people, or find out about dungeon runs, or the best min/max builds. They just play the game.

There’s a whole lot of us out here. No one knows how many. Why? Because when you’re a raider there’s a very specific activity you do, and you KNOW you’re a raider. When you’re a PvPer there’s a very specific activity you’re into. But when you’re an immersion player, just enjoying the open world exploring and having fun, there’s no real name for that. So many people I’ve talked to share my play style, but there’s no word for it, because you’re not really doing any specific activity.

I believe that Guild Wars 2 is popular for players like me, because other MMOs don’t even take us into account most of the time.

+1. Absolutely well said, Vayne!

Posted by: Dante.1508

Dante.1508

I dont know if i agree with the OP
Being a former gw1 player, in my eyes its the exact opposite.
Gw2 tries to appeal to a MUCH WIDER audience of players, including many elements that were loved by wow-ish mmos, while innovating enough to give a reason to such players to make the transition.

Tries to do too much, and please too many people, getting down to compromises that make make the game more accessible but more shallow in the long term.

I was thinking the exact same thing, I’m also from GW1 and never played WoW, to me this game has a lot of what the op says but subtly hidden or called something different, to me the game deviated far to much from its successful roots..

Gamers skill levels fluctuate, what you call easy others call hard..

Personally i stay clear of dungeons because they are frustrating and anger inducing, terrible trash mobs, to me they are far from fun for a meager 60 tokens..

(edited by Dante.1508)

Posted by: Welswift.9813

Welswift.9813

I don’t mind “working” to get something good, that can be fun. What I don’t like is that the work you have to do to get good stuff in WvW (a PvP oriented place) involves entirely doing PvE stuff. If you want to have good gear in WvW? Go farm Orr. You want to play sPvP? Have fun, but you won’t ever get anything at all from it. I don’t want to be forced to do something I hate in order to enjoy the real thing I am interested in. That’s what actual working is for. MMOs are for enjoying something with the hopes of enjoying it even more later.

Posted by: Rico.1025

Rico.1025

This should be added to OP:

*If you like Guild Wars 1… this game isn’t for you.

Posted by: Tosha Daydreamer.9251

Tosha Daydreamer.9251

*If you wanted an exact copy of Guild Wars 1… this game isn’t for you.

Fixed that for you.

I liked GW1. Wouldnt want a clone anymore. GW2 is fine.

Posted by: Nayaru.4716

Nayaru.4716

If you like having an advantage over other players based on wallet size or amount of play time, this game isn’t for you.

Most of the MMO’s I’ve played previously there is always someone who’s got better gear because they’ve played for hundreds upon thousands of hours more than me, in some MMO’s there are people whos gear is so good because of the money they’ve pumped into the game that they don’t need an ounce of skill to play, they just button mash. The only thing that makes another player better than me in GW2 is that they’re more skilled. GW2 is for me!

Posted by: Zeivu.3615

Zeivu.3615

There will always be niches in online games that consist of Elitist Codpieces. What a sad life they must live, where they must stuff padding to feel important.

Posted by: Drew.1865

Drew.1865

1.If you aren’t a zerg warrior :-).
2.If you like class balance.
3.If you dislike rng, DR and loot nerfs.
4.Don’t want to play the game in a huge guild.
5.If you want end game activities that are actually fun.
6.Want to play the game the way you want to play.

Is GW2 a game or a virtual casino?

Posted by: Akhellan.4180

Akhellan.4180

I don’t think that this game is made for a very narrow audience at all. I think this game is made for an audience most people don’t realize is as large as it is. Let me give you a couple of examples.

Games like Skyrim or Dragon Age or The Witcher are all popular games. They’re games about people who like RPGs. MMORPGs have had the letters in the name for a long time, but the love of exploring and the world detail have largely been ignored by companies. Very few companies really wanted to make a living world. That’s why everything in WoW ends up in dungeons and raids, and people standing around cities.

But when you actually poll the WoW playerbase, you end up with a whole lot more people who solo than anyone expected and a whole lot less raiders. More to the point, Scott Hartsman, the lead developer of Rift, said (and I’m paraphrasing here, it was a long time ago), no MMO developer in his right mind could possibly ignore those who play MMOs solo because it’s such a large percentage of the playerbase. Even the Guild Wars 2 FAQ has a question about being able to solo.

The thing is, since the people who play games for immersion often do solo, no one knows what they think. They don’t have to come to forums to exchange builds, or group with people, or find out about dungeon runs, or the best min/max builds. They just play the game.

There’s a whole lot of us out here. No one knows how many. Why? Because when you’re a raider there’s a very specific activity you do, and you KNOW you’re a raider. When you’re a PvPer there’s a very specific activity you’re into. But when you’re an immersion player, just enjoying the open world exploring and having fun, there’s no real name for that. So many people I’ve talked to share my play style, but there’s no word for it, because you’re not really doing any specific activity.

I believe that Guild Wars 2 is popular for players like me, because other MMOs don’t even take us into account most of the time.

+1 from me as well — I play as a solo/roamer explorer. I love the wide-open spaces of GW2. It is the only MMO I’ve found that includes a “niche” for me.

Like any game, there are features I don’t care for: dungeons, PvP, etc. These are of no concern to me so long as the niche I prefer continues to exist.

I very rarely choose to “speak up” in forums and the like. Loot and other similar motivations hold no meaning for me so I find the latest uproar over large scale events with chests difficult to relate to. I actually go out of my way to avoid them.

I play the game in “full immersion mode” with all NPC labels off and any other extraneous info sources minimized as much as possible… Really wish I could turn off the numerical combat damage floaters even :P

I suppose GW2 is for me.

Posted by: Tolmos.8395

Tolmos.8395

When I read the OP, my mind basically summed up the post into 2 lines: “If A non-theme park MMO was your first, Guild Wars 2 is for you. Otherwise, if your first MMO was Everquest or one of its 800 spinoffs (WoW included), this game isn’t for you”.

This game isn’t supposed to be about grind. It isn’t supposed to define your goals for you. It isn’t supposed to hold your hand in instances and tell you what your role will always be. It’s supposed to be a giant, immersive world filled with a ton if optional content and various ways to make your own fun if that doesn’t appeal.

If Gw2 fails anywhere, it is that as of late (Nov 15th) it has begun to define player goals for them a little too much.

Posted by: Sollith.3502

Sollith.3502

I was just reading a short thread about someone getting bored with the lack of gear grind.

I smiled a bit inside.

Not everyone has the composure to farm the same banal content over and over until they have the bestest best baubles and lord it over people. This game is for people that want to be on primarily equal footing.

Take myself for example. I’m a tried and true “medium-core” gamer. I love a nice complex system and a few long-term goals to work toward but especially difficult content or unfriendly people cripplingly frustrate me. I can’t stand dungeons due to the incessant number of overpowered damage dealing "whatever"s, I’d be WILLING to try fractals if the elitists weren’t hoarding all the parties, that sort of thing.

And it turns out I don’t have to do things that way, I can get my gear for the most part from other content to get in a better spot and THEN try some of that harder content again IF I choose.

I’m happy for that personally. This game IS for me.

But, but… Legendaries require a Legendary gold grind (it’s sort of like a gear grind right?).

lol, you should try fractals out; most parties aren’t too bad (well maybe once you get up into the higher level fractals they get a bit antsy =/….) I personally find the dungeons to be alright, but they kind of reuse a lot of areas a bit too much for my taste (AC is pretty much the same thing in every path just different directions around the same circle…). I want my giant, ridiculously enormous, and magnificent labyrinth darn it! >=(

….(Oh well, I guess I’ll just have to make it myself once I get out of school and into the industry in a couple years hopefully…).

lol but on topic; the game does feel like it lacks a bit of direction, which is fine as thats how an open world game should be, but there should be trails leading all over this wilderness for players to follow and branch off from and those feel lacking.

Pvp needs a better lobby system and a few more game types (zombies is always fun )

There needs to be a more achievement based system to obtain precursors, rather than gold farming or casino slots. Maybe combine like 30 laurels and some other more achievement items into the mystic forge (fractals relics another dungeon token + a fourth?). Well, something anyways….

Gear is fine as it is now, but I would definitely like to see the pool of legendaries grow a bit; more greatsword options, more sword options, bows, etc.

Posted by: SonicTHI.3217

SonicTHI.3217

This is what happens when you abandon your core principles and game design. Trying to cater to everyone simply does not work. ANET had a good strong base with GW1 but a few months after release they abandoned it. They introduced something that they ve been trying to fix for the past 4 months and they ve only managed to kitten off most of their player base in one way or another.

They need to stop flip flopping and get back to their core principles.

Yes not all games are for everyone but if they r gonna advertise something they better stick to it.

“Otherwise, your MMO becomes all about grinding to get the best gear. We don’t make grindy games.”
-Mike O’Brien, President of Arenanet

Posted by: daimasei.4091

daimasei.4091

And I thank Anet every day for this (well, not really but you get my meaning).

Yes, they betray their beliefs in so many ways but at least we don’t have another stupid WoW clon (although lately they seem to be trying really hard to do it).

Gear progression? Because playing for days, weeks or months to get a stupid gear only to wait for the next more powerful gear is definitely the right thing to do. Besides we already have ascended items so there is your gear progression.

Raids? People can’t even get 4 other players to do a kittening dungeon and yet, WoW**** still insist on this?

Mounts? I’m on a horse, fear me, muahahahaha (because pressing the same button to do exactly the same action definitely worth whining about this over and over).

PvP? I don’t give a kitten about over-ego, spoiled children with a hollow life trying to compensate their frustration in a game calling other players noobs for not being good at something so trivial like a game so, no opinion on this part.

No goals? Because goals a definitely dictated only for others. I mean, why have the goal to have every single legendary if Anet don’t give the order to do it?

And yes, this game is not for everyone, not perfect, but the hundreds of players I see every day in one single servers seems to be enjoying the game, including those who whine about the changes in AC or about the ascended items and yet keep playing.

Why fix the Necromancer for free when we can charge $$$ for the Revenant
-ArenaNet

Posted by: Geikamir.6329

Geikamir.6329

To OP: The first half of your list is extremely true and the second half is extremely false.

The first ones are basic principles that they marketed the game with or are things (like mounts) which make no sense at all to be in the game.

The second ones are promises that they have made but haven’t. They need to be in the game and should be.

So if you want the first few, there are plenty of games that will take your money. If you want the second few, this game is definitely for you, it’s just not there yet.

Toons: Foreseer, Geikamir, Rapscallion, Specimen, Scythian, Zeau, Ärtifact, and Replica.

Posted by: chefdiablo.6791

chefdiablo.6791

I love this game.

I don’t require goals, treadmills, or any other type of “mechanic” to stimulate my game play.

For those that do require such things, they can be found in many other places. There is not need to reconstruct this game to suit your selfish needs.

Posted by: Rico.1025

Rico.1025

Fixed that for you.

No you didn’t, at least not for me, or for some of my friends…
We wanted GW1 with better graphics and persistent world. But GW2, with beautiful graphics and persistent world, is nothing like GW1… all those little details that made GW1 the greatest MMO (for me and my friends) is all gone…
It’s just a mix of different MMO’s, with a brand new quest system (which is epic btw… but not enough to be as great as GW1)

Posted by: Geikamir.6329

Geikamir.6329

Fixed that for you.

We wanted GW1 with better graphics and persistent world. But GW2, with beautiful graphics and persistent world, is nothing like GW1… all those little details that made GW1 the greatest MMO (for me and my friends) is all gone…
It’s just a mix of different MMO’s, with a brand new quest system (which is epic btw… but not enough to be as great as GW1)

Ironically, the people that use that excuse (“just play GW1”) are the people that just want a clone of every other MMO out there in this game too.

Toons: Foreseer, Geikamir, Rapscallion, Specimen, Scythian, Zeau, Ärtifact, and Replica.

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

Fixed that for you.

Well, you don’t speak for me or my friends or most of my old Guild Wars 1 guild. Most of us walked away from Guild Wars 1 at one point because it was old hat already. Maybe if there was more content it would have been okay but there were many issues with the game, particularly game balance, that were completely out of whack. Like anyone with a rit in the party was essentially god. Sure it’s cool to be able to walk through everything without thinking because your heroes are so kitten powerful, but you know, it wears thin after a while.

Guild Wars kept me busy for a long time, but in order for me to have kept playing that game or something like it, certain things would have had to have been added to the mix. Dynamic events, or something like them, a marketplace (because Spamdan sucked), the ability to jump, without all that pathing, more races to make things more interested, with different starting zones, crafting and a personal story.

Looks pretty much like the game Anet made. Would I want to go back to professions that couldn’t be balanced at all, had no hope of being balanced, because there were too many build possibilities? No, I wouldn’t want to go back to that. As badly as people say GW 2 is balanced, they really have no idea, until they played GW 1.

Guild Wars 2 has flaws of course, but it’s a much better game from my point of view than Guild Wars 1 was.

Posted by: Wayfinder.8452

Wayfinder.8452

40 laurels later I discovered that was not gear grind.

Other than gear grind everything else you said is true. I just feel like lately they’ve been trying to appeal to the more hardcore type of gamers which slowly but surely alienates their cores. I play mostly with GW1 vets so it’s rather fun, people are in love with the game until they get to level 80, because as you said there aren’t many goals for them at 80. I’ll add that there aren’t many goals that don’t feel like grind. I think the game needs some prestige goals, like legendary items you get by having a set of achievements and stuff like that rather than legendary items that require item grind. A time sink is good and all, but since they can be openly traded on the TP and since a lot of players are already flipping items they much like the CoF items have lost any value for me.

I was happy with the game as it was before the last patch, since now people just rarely do anything but camp chest bosses and farm CoF/Orr or TP flipping. Also as Clay said the game has turned into DPS > Everything which is just annoying for me as I rarely play DPS.

The March update might bring more people back to WvW, which is something I really look forward to.

@Vayne

I’m not sure if class balance in this game is so good, thieves definitely need some nerfbat hits, but I do agree its kiiiiind of better than GW1 because currently there are no “must-have-or-you-insta-lose” classes or builds. I’m not gonna lie to myself about that… Classes in GW2 are just way more balanced indeed, but there is a huge rift between top tier and bottom tier classes atm. ANet has always been slow with class updates (my Dervish cried), hopefully they can fix that soonish because with moba games being so popular people take class balance patches for granted. :-/

The man who can wield the power of this sword can summon to him an army
more deadly than any that walks this earth. Put aside the Ranger.
Become who you were born to be. I give hope to men. I keep none for myself.

(edited by Wayfinder.8452)

Posted by: jalmari.3906

jalmari.3906

I absolutely liked GW1 because there was so much to do even after hitting maximum level in pve. For example get more skill books or get better looking gear etc.

GW2 gets very repetitive after hitting level 80 to the extent that it seems most grindy game ever.

I am a little disappointed because GW2 has great combat mechanics and beautiful areas etc. However it lacks interesting content. And I do not mean grinding better gear I absolutely hate any form of grinding. Just check out real sandbox games like eve online you can do a lot of different kind of stuff, get little money and gear and feel you did something with your time in game, unlike in GW2.

Pve is fun when you do world exploration first time. But then you’ve probably seen most of it. Areas are open world but they lack social interaction. Only area to interact with people is LA. Party system is really limiting. You cannot really jump in and help some random guy because you are not in same party you don’t get same rewards. It is sort of disappointing.

I admit that my main interest must be pvp. However wvw has only 2 different maps, even though it’s great fun for a while it gets boring because you are not rewarded in any decent way. There is no killboards or anything you can brag about and you do not get recognized for your efforts in wvw by your server or guild. There’s no respect or anything. No one just cares or even knows about what you have done. Not to mention you do not get shiny loot from difficult opponents.

Spvp is too much separated from other game. This is very big mistake.

I suspected GW2 was this way even when I bought it though, it is still a shame that game stayed that way, since it would have a chance to be much more.

Guardian 80 Necromancer 80 Ranger 80 Mesmer 80 Elementalist 80 Warrior 80

Posted by: Red Falcon.8257

Red Falcon.8257

@Aeon I think you hit the nail on the head there, and at least no one else is going to try removing trinity without a proper replacement, thank god. I don’t think combat is ‘amazing’ though, more of just meh. I like actually using my brain and strategizing which is why I loved GW1.

I think you confuse combat with enemy depth.
It’s not our combat mechanics that are boring, it’s the AI.

GW1 required more tactics because:
- AI used proper teams (healer, rupter mesmer, condi necro, 2 warriors, ranger)
- AI had proper skillbars that would make sense for a player to use, sometimes even great builds with 10 skills, elites and all.
Therefore you needed to setup a good strategy to counter their builds and their comp.

GW2 lacks exactly that.
Mobs rarely have a proper “team”, it’s a miracle if they collaborate.
Mobs have 1-2 skills. Very rarely 3.
Mobs have no builds. They spam their 1-2 skills over and over.
Mobs have no team AI. They won’t try to act as a team and help each other.

Combat is great, AI is terrible.
Anet needs to stop making mobs use “mob skills” and give them proper builds like in GW1.
I expect a Warrior mob to come Bull+HB me.
A Guardian mob should give protection/aegis to the team, use bubbles and walls.

(edited by Red Falcon.8257)

Posted by: Darque Intent.1674

Darque Intent.1674

The game’s shallow, aimed at shallow people created by very shallow devs.

Given that the marketing was set up to give the impression it empathised with how peope felt about other games, and the people who were working on it “cared”, it’s a disappointment seeing what they, and some of you deem acceptable.

Have “fun”.

All hail Emperor Anet, and their new clothes!

Posted by: Tosha Daydreamer.9251

Tosha Daydreamer.9251

Fixed that for you.

Yes, GW2 is different – as it should be. I’ve played GW1 for over 3 years very intensively – PvE and PvP both. In the end, I had seen and done all I wanted to see and do, my friends had quit and when I log in GW1 today, there is nothing more that grabs my fancy. In the end, when I stopped playing, even though there were tons of builds possible, only a few were considered “viable”. It really wasnt fun to “have to have” build X to find a party for HA, only to find yourself matched to a team with the exact same build. It wasn’t fun to “have to have” title track X on level Y to join a party, because all other builds were not as good. And it wasn’t fun to see random pugging destroyed by heroes and henchmen.

If GW2 was exactly like GW1, only “open world”, I would be bored very quickly.

I still get the occasional lump in my throat when the music from pre-searing ascalon plays in GW2 and I remember the hours I spent just mindlessly wandering around there, but if I want to do that again, I’ll just open GW1 again. I look to GW2 not for a repetition of the old, but for something new. And so far, it has delivered just that.

Posted by: TheBlackLeech.9360

TheBlackLeech.9360

I’m sorry…. i actually enjoy the game called Guild Wars 2.

When you make your own MMORPG you can decide what you want to put in it.

I have put my faith in the hands of Arenanet when I purchased this game.

If they do not want to put mounts in this game, wonderful.

If you want to play a game with mounts, then go do it.

Stop trying to influence Guild Wars 2 to fit your needs.

If you do not like Guild Wars 2, I’m sorry.

Many of us do like the game, and want Anet to develop it THEIR way so that it develops uniquely and is truly amazing in a few years.
…I don’t want GW2 to become a WoW clone.

If you like first person shooters, does that mean Anet needs to add a FPS minigame to GW2?

No.

Play a different game for that.

Posted by: Seezungenschleuder.8319

Seezungenschleuder.8319

Yes , i need to fix the word ‘goal’. i am sorry for that. I was ment to say raid/gear/mount/pvp etc progression.

For progression, there’s WoW. GW2 is for adventure®s.

Posted by: Solid Gold.9310

Solid Gold.9310

If…………..

You want to play a Ranger, not a Beastmaster.

Jumping puzzles, love them or hate them, I hate them. Thread killer.

Posted by: leman.7682

leman.7682

Let me be as constructive as I can at this point after months of poor updates and design missteps –
– LOL Guild Wars 2

Leman

Shootsfoot.9276

The game’s shallow, aimed at shallow people created by very shallow devs.

Given that the marketing was set up to give the impression it empathised with how peope felt about other games, and the people who were working on it “cared”, it’s a disappointment seeing what they, and some of you deem acceptable.

Have “fun”.

Awesome. Because somebody may like this game, they are a shallow person.

I love the internet. Makes people so smart.

Posted by: Safer Saviour.9685

Safer Saviour.9685

I think you confuse combat with enemy depth.
It’s not our combat mechanics that are boring, it’s the AI.

GW1 required more tactics because:
- AI used proper teams (healer, rupter mesmer, condi necro, 2 warriors, ranger)
- AI had proper skillbars that would make sense for a player to use, sometimes even great builds with 10 skills, elites and all.
Therefore you needed to setup a good strategy to counter their builds and their comp.

GW2 lacks exactly that.
Mobs rarely have a proper “team”, it’s a miracle if they collaborate.
Mobs have 1-2 skills. Very rarely 3.
Mobs have no builds. They spam their 1-2 skills over and over.
Mobs have no team AI. They won’t try to act as a team and help each other.

Combat is great, AI is terrible.
Anet needs to stop making mobs use “mob skills” and give them proper builds like in GW1.
I expect a Warrior mob to come Bull+HB me.
A Guardian mob should give protection/aegis to the team, use bubbles and walls.

I find most of the complaints on this thread to be worthless to me, but this? This is spot on and I’d never actually thought about it before. The mobs in GW2 are varied but there are very few which actively synergise with their own allies and the area around them. The closest the game comes to that kind of content is… probably the dredge and even then, there are some severe limitations.

The developers would do well to look at their AI systems and see how they could improve. Patrols and unified groups would be a very nice upgrade, for sure.