This is a joke right? maybe a bad troll?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: RLD.7439

RLD.7439

If I have to explain >.<

Attachments:

“If you wish to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first invent the universe.” -CS

Posted by: Felahr.9830

Felahr.9830

staffs and staves are both linguistically correct.

Posted by: RLD.7439

RLD.7439

staffs and staves are both linguistically correct.

Using Staffs when referring explicitly to Staves is indeed incorrect.

“If you wish to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first invent the universe.” -CS

Posted by: Felahr.9830

Felahr.9830

No. it isnt. multiple staff weapons can be referred to as either. they are both correct. welcome to English.

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

Dictionary says staffs or staves is the plural of staff.

I, personally, use staffs, but really, what difference does it make?

Posted by: penelopehannibal.8947

penelopehannibal.8947

It’s been brought up many times. I think it should be Staves, but perhaps some people might get confused with that. Personally, I keep thinking it’s going to show up stuff from Staffordshire, England myself, as that’s almost always abbreviated to Staffs!

But to be honest, I doubt they’ll change it. It’s just weird how Focus is ‘Foci’ but ‘Staffs’ are still ‘Staffs’.

Staffs is still a correct way as far as I know, when it’s in the context of Bo Staffs, which we have in-game now.

Blood & Merlot [Wine]

Posted by: Chad.6104

Chad.6104

Which is preferred depends on the country, but both staffs and staves are correct.

Wik: staff
staff (plural staffs or staves or staff)
A long, straight stick, especially one used to assist in walking

Posted by: Pifil.5193

Pifil.5193

Bo Staffs? I think I went to school with him.

Staves seems a bit Old English to me. Maybe even Olde English.

Posted by: penelopehannibal.8947

penelopehannibal.8947

but really, what difference does it make?

Yeah exactly. It’s like when people want the ‘English’ language flag to change from US to UK flag. As a UK resident, doesn’t really bother me. Doesn’t change anything.

Blood & Merlot [Wine]

Posted by: RoseofGilead.8907

RoseofGilead.8907

Yeah, I’d prefer if it was Staves, but both are correct. I do like how Adryn is a Stavemaster instead of a Staffmaster, though.

Posted by: Sartharina.3542

Sartharina.3542

Yeah, I’d prefer if it was Staves, but both are correct. I do like how Adryn is a Stavemaster instead of a Staffmaster, though.

If Adryn were a Staffmaster, he’d be too busy stuck in corporate meetings with Mordremoth to be able to take the fight to the heroes. (Unless that’s why he’s fighting? “YOU ARE RUINING OUR PRODUCTION SCHEDULE! THIS IS A DIRECT MANAGEMENT INTERVENTION!”)

Posted by: Pifil.5193

Pifil.5193

Heh, Adryn the VP in charge of Production doesn’t have the same ring to it.

Posted by: Donari.5237

Donari.5237

Staves sounds like barrel parts to me. That doesn’t mean I don’t appreciate its use for more than one stick-staff, but I don’t find “staffs” to be wildly incorrect in comparison even though I do generally care about the correct use of language.

Posted by: Rhyse.8179

Rhyse.8179

“Staves” also refers to unfinished wood material of the lengthy variety, giving it a double meaning (for example, a pile of bow staves that have not yet been made into bows), so I prefer “Staffs” because it has a single meaning and is more precise.

“I care nothing for a festering industry that wantonly refuses to
provide a service that I’m willing to purchase.” – Fortuna.7259

Posted by: Aidan Savage.2078

Aidan Savage.2078

so I prefer “Staffs” because it has a single meaning and is more precise.

No, it doesnt. It has multiple meanings as does staves. Staves IS the correct term that should be used, as kitten near every dictionary I can think of shows. Staff has two meanings people are going to be most familiar with: “staff” the human resource, and “staff” the wooden stick. The plural of the first is ALSO “staff” in most uses, though "staffs"is applicable. The plural of the second is staves. But people butcher the English language like it’s a friggin cow, so at this point, who the hell really cares? It’s not being changed.

Posted by: Sartharina.3542

Sartharina.3542

so I prefer “Staffs” because it has a single meaning and is more precise.

No, it doesnt. It has multiple meanings as does staves. Staves IS the correct term that should be used, as kitten near every dictionary I can think of shows. Staff has two meanings people are going to be most familiar with: “staff” the human resource, and “staff” the wooden stick. The plural of the first is ALSO “staff” in most uses, though "staffs"is applicable. The plural of the second is staves. But people butcher the English language like it’s a friggin cow, so at this point, who the hell really cares? It’s not being changed.

“Staffs’ has been an acceptable plural for Staff (The stick) for centuries, so you’re kinda late to be kittening about it now.

Posted by: Envy.1679

Envy.1679

If you’re going to be a conceited grammar troll, at least be a correct one.

MARATHON CIV 5 DIFFICULTY 10 STILL GOING

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

In every game that uses a stick as a weapon (magical or otherwise), players have always debated whether to use staffs or staves. Multiple dictionaries say it’s ok, even in the context of a stick to bash versus a focus for magical energies.

Some people like staves as a plural only for stave and some like staffs as a plural regardless.

The only time I insist on using “staff” is when someone wants to say “the staffs of two hospitals” (meaning, in American, the employees, which, yes, is a complete digression — ain’t English wonderful?).

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”

Posted by: TheNecrosanct.4028

TheNecrosanct.4028

But to be honest, I doubt they’ll change it. It’s just weird how Focus is ‘Foci’ but ‘Staffs’ are still ‘Staffs’.

How is that weird? “Staffs” and “staves” are both linguistically correct plural terms for the word “staff”. “Foci” is the only linguistically correct plural term for the word “focus”. What else did you expect to find there, except “foci”? And if you’re about to say “focuses”, that would be incorrect. “Focuses” is 3rd person present tense for the verb “to focus”, which is obviously not the same as the noun “focus”.

Posted by: Ayrilana.1396

Ayrilana.1396

I see the two as the difference between color and colour.

Posted by: Ardid.7203

Ardid.7203

They should just remove stafss/staves althogether. Lets use “stick” and “sticks” instead.

“Only problem with the Engineer is
that it makes every other class in the game boring to play.”
Hawks

Posted by: General Health.9678

General Health.9678

The plural of the first is ALSO “staff” in most uses, though "staffs"is applicable.

According to bigger pedants than I it should be staff and staffs just like team and teams.
http://english.stackexchange.com/a/147489

Blame Abaddon, he loves your tears.
pve, raid, pvp, fractal, dungeon, world clearing, legendary questing.. Zapped!