This is an outrage - Monk Outfit

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Wolfeng.3784

Wolfeng.3784

I bought the monk a few days ago, and this can’t go silent. It’s absurd that on this day and age I can’t get an upskirt shot in a game, specially an MMO.

Jokes apart, the monk outfit has this huge blackwall instead of proper panties or shorts, it does looks quite ridiculous. Is there any hope for this outfit?

http://imgur.com/a/VNG8x

Posted by: Tigaseye.2047

Tigaseye.2047

lol, yeah, the outfit has had problems, from the start.

It looked far better when they first released it, with a slimmer skirt.

But then people noticed that their characters’ legs were clipping right through it, so they made the skirt far more bell shaped, to try to avoid that happening.

Problem is, that didn’t look as good and ruined the line of the skirt.

TBH, I think it would have been better to just leave it alone, if that was the alternative, but they probably didn’t want to deal with all the future complaints.

I don’t know if the issue you describe was caused by that change, or not?

Quite possibly it either was, or was made more noticeable by it.

“Turns out when people play the game, they don’t admire your feet at all.” sephiroth

Posted by: Agemnon.4608

Agemnon.4608

I’ve noticed lots of terrible clipping issues all around in game. People’s greatswords clipping through their behinds, wonky camera that can never be where I want it (need better zoom control), and it looks like shortcuts overall get taken to keep the game “playable” for those running old rigs.

Posted by: Doggie.3184

Doggie.3184

The darkness has consumed your panties.

| Fort Aspenwood (NA): Sylvari Daredevil Thief Main: All Classes 80. |
Please Remove/Fix Thief Trait: “Last Refuge.”
“Hard to Catch” is a Horrible and Useless Trait. Fixed 6/23/15. Praise Dwayna.

Posted by: Makai.3429

Makai.3429

Hentai Kamen strikes again!

Proud disabled gamer. Not everyone has the capacity to git gud.

Posted by: Aidan Savage.2078

Aidan Savage.2078

I bought the monk a few days ago, and this can’t go silent. It’s absurd that on this day and age I can’t get an upskirt shot in a game, specially an MMO.

Jokes apart, the monk outfit has this huge blackwall instead of proper panties or shorts, it does looks quite ridiculous. Is there any hope for this outfit?

There’s plenty of other games out there that can provide that sort of “reading” material you want.

Posted by: Wolfeng.3784

Wolfeng.3784

There’s plenty of other games out there that can provide that sort of “reading” material you want.

Here let me make it clear for you.

Its a joke! J-O-K-E

I don’t care about looking about panties, she could be wearing a shorts under, anything is better than the void.

Posted by: Dawdler.8521

Dawdler.8521

I don’t care about looking about panties, she could be wearing a shorts under, anything is better than the void.

Its GW2. Obviously she should be wearing another skirt under.

But yes, I agree its unfair censoring. GW2 already has armour that shows about 3cm of a buttcrack so its basicly an AO game right there.

Posted by: Tigaseye.2047

Tigaseye.2047

Its GW2. Obviously she should be wearing another skirt under.

But yes, I agree its unfair censoring. GW2 already has armour that shows about 3cm of a buttcrack so its basicly an AO game right there.

Yeah and a game with underboob armour has no logical right to suddenly get all shy about showing (pretty modest) underwear…

Especially as you can go on the beach and that strips your char down to her underwear, anyway.

I’m guessing it’s more of a technical limitation thing?

“Turns out when people play the game, they don’t admire your feet at all.” sephiroth

Posted by: Labjax.2465

Labjax.2465

Are you sure the void isn’t supposed to be the panties? The shape does look in the realm of them, at least.

I wonder if it is a dying issue. If you’ve noticed, dyes that are too extreme (e.g. extreme black/white coloring) can wash out textures and destroy the illusion of 3D. This is why, for example, armors with complex/bumpy textures (most heavy armor and some medium) is infinitely more likely to be dyable full black than cloth.

So it may be a thing where the panties either default to black and aren’t dyable, or they are dyable but are a connected part of the other color choices, meaning that if you do, for instance, abyss on a part of the outfit where the texture is built to handle it, it also dyes the panties black, where no one bothered because they are underneath and out of view most of the time.

Also, apparently I just wrote 3 paragraphs on panties in a video game. We’ll just call it “graphic design” talk, yes.

Or words to that effect.

Posted by: yononan.8931

yononan.8931

I noticed problems with another gem store clothing item… the noble dress for females makes the upper leg disappear and so every time you jump with a weapon unholstered, you see a calves and feet, and no thighs. It’s really obvious.

Not trying to derail or anything, just pointing out that I think if people are paying real money for these things, they should at least try to put quality effort or else spenders like my self will feel less inclined to, well, spend our hard earned real money on broken cosmetic goods like this.

Posted by: Evans.6347

Evans.6347

Stare into the abyss and embrace infinity.

Joy to the world, ignorance is bliss

Posted by: MithranArkanere.8957

MithranArkanere.8957

A flat texture is a cheap way to save polygons. People usually don’t look under the skirt, so that doesn’t need to get rendered, and that allows you to add other details to the model, like earring and fluttering stripes.

It looks really ugly, though. So I don’t think it’s worth it. It’s better to save in other places.

SUGGEST-A-TRON says:
PAY—ONCE—UNLOCKS—ARE—ALWAYS—BETTER.
No exceptions!

Posted by: Rauderi.8706

Rauderi.8706

If you zoom in even closer (you perv~), you’ll find there aren’t any hips to put your panties on! The Monk Outfit gives you disembodied legs, while your upper half floats serenely above your thighs.

It was a known issue when the outfit released, and it caused some ungodly clipping (outfits reduce clipping, y’know, especially CHARR FACES ON SNIPER OUTFIT GAWD FIX IT), and when they fixed it, it gave Human/Norn females irresistable badonkadonk hips to cover the weird clipping issues.

It’s not that you’re seeing a black void under the skirt, either, it’s that YOU’RE WEARING BLACK STOP BEING SO EMO PLZKTHX.

I kid, I kid. :P But srsly, embrace the pink.

Many alts; handle it!
“I’m finding companies should sell access to forums,
it seems many like them better than the games they comment on.” -Horrorscope.7632

Posted by: Cerpin.9152

Cerpin.9152

Even if this thread has a funny twist to it… I still to this day feel really sour about this Monk outfit deal…

The problem back then wasn’t that there was horrible clipping on every character – it looked absolutely perfect on my human thief!
The problem was that the designers forgot that characters can have different body shapes and the outfit just wouldn’t adapt to the “fuller” hipped models, which caused ugly clipping.

The “fix” was lazy and completely ruined the aesthetic on human and sylvari females.
There are examples of skirts in this game that fit to different body shapes, so it’s not like it is impossible for them to design it that way. They just didn’t bother to do the extra work.

Back then I warned people that this would set a precedent for future armor and outfits. And it did. The wedding outfit and the new winter outfit use the same “solution” to the problem, only it’s not as noticable/ugly because the style of these outfits could be seen as an excuse…

Dawdler.8521

A flat texture is a cheap way to save polygons. People usually don’t look under the skirt, so that doesn’t need to get rendered, and that allows you to add other details to the model, like earring and fluttering stripes.

It looks really ugly, though. So I don’t think it’s worth it. It’s better to save in other places.

GW2, save polygons on stuff that cant normally be seen with the current gear set?

My googly eyed Asura disagree.

Attachments:

Posted by: Evans.6347

Evans.6347

GW2, save polygons on stuff that cant normally be seen with the current gear set?

My googly eyed Asura disagree.

It’s fine, I wasn’t going to sleep tonight anyway.

Joy to the world, ignorance is bliss

Posted by: ProtoGunner.4953

ProtoGunner.4953

You won’t usually look from this perspective when you play, so it shouldn’t matter.

‘would have/would’ve been’ —> correct
‘would of been’ —> wrong

Dawdler.8521

You won’t usually look from this perspective when you play, so it shouldn’t matter.

Unless that’s how you always play your games.

Just saying.

Posted by: kuritsutian.2987

kuritsutian.2987

I enjoy the up-skirt view on characters, usually check all the angles to disappointment, yet adds some flavor to it. —slurp--
^Joke
Worst clipping comes usually from backpacks and back weapons, focus and warhorns alse clip a lot on womby skirts …I am looking at you masquerade leggings :L —slurp--

Suddenly in the Forums Everyone is now a Game designer!

Posted by: vespers.1759

vespers.1759

It’s just a “joke”… That’s why you made a serious thread requesting underwear be added so you can look up the chracter’s skirt and be “satisfied”

Don’t ban me mods this post is a “joke”.

Bristleback can’t hit anything? Let’s fix the HP bug instead.

Posted by: Doggie.3184

Doggie.3184

It’s just a “joke”… That’s why you made a serious thread requesting underwear be added so you can look up the chracter’s skirt and be “satisfied”

Don’t ban me mods this post is a “joke”.

You mean “It’s just a prank, bro.”

| Fort Aspenwood (NA): Sylvari Daredevil Thief Main: All Classes 80. |
Please Remove/Fix Thief Trait: “Last Refuge.”
“Hard to Catch” is a Horrible and Useless Trait. Fixed 6/23/15. Praise Dwayna.