This is getting annoying...

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: MFoy.3284

MFoy.3284

Look, I’m not a ‘Bot or a TP Baron, etc. I’m just a player who wants to empty my loot and get back to having a good time in the game.. However, I keep getting this stoopid message about placing “Too many Sell Orders…” (See attached)

I know it’s been in the game for awhile. I’ve tried living with it, found workarounds, etc. But who ever thought this was a good idea is waaaay off the mark. I encounter it several times just trying to dump my stuff from two loot bags. Very poor design. Again.

I’d like to hear from Anet regarding what problem this is supposed to solve ‘cuz as it stands it’s just another wall in the game to prevent fun.

Attachments:

Posted by: Ellieanna.5027

Ellieanna.5027

You’re selling too many too fast. I get it once in a blue moon. Sell more often (since you don’t have to be at the TP to sell) or deal with it. If you really need to hear from Anet create a ticket.

I’m a Moose, a ginger moose even.

Posted by: Ardenwolfe.8590

Ardenwolfe.8590

I get this error multiple times per day. It’s a holdover from the first year . . . when the Trading Post crashed repeatedly because it couldn’t handle all the sales.

I suspect it isn’t going to be fixed any time soon given its history.

Gone to Reddit.

Posted by: Danikat.8537

Danikat.8537

This frustrates me too. Every time I do a meta-event like Silverwastes or one of the HoT maps and then try to empty my bags I hit this. And it seems to get more strict after the first time it’s triggered – if you wait a few seconds you can sell another item or two, then you’ll have to wait about 10 seconds, then sell 1 item, then wait about 30 seconds….until it becomes impractical to keep trying and I have to go and do other things until I can finish selling stuff.

I do try to empty my bags in between stages of the event, but depending on what you’re doing there may not be time to get through it all so it still ends up building up.

I realise there’s a good reason for it to exist, to stop (or at least slow down) bots, but it definitely seems too sensitive to me if normal players can hit it on a regular basis.

It’s probably not a problem for everyone, especially if you don’t normally pick the ‘sell instantly’ option, but when I’ve got a bag full of greens and blues and the difference between the buy orders and sell orders is about 1s I’d rather just sell them quickly, and that’s when this becomes a problem.

It’s certainly not game-breaking, but it would be nice if it could be toned down a bit so real players are less likely to trigger it.

Danielle Aurorel, Dear Dragon We Got Your Cookies [Nom], Desolation (EU).

“Life’s a journey, not a destination.”

Posted by: Healix.5819

Healix.5819

It’s flood control to ensure fair use. They could tweak it, but without it you wouldn’t be able to access the trading post at all.

Posted by: Mo Mo.1947

Mo Mo.1947

You need to salvage some of that nonsense. I only get the flood wall message when I’m selling tons of stacks of iron ore or something I know is ridiculous.

Get yourself some essences of luck and some mats you can sell later. (If you don’t like getting all those minor runes remember to use a basic salvage kit or a copper salvage-o-matic to reduce the chance of getting garbage.

Posted by: Danikat.8537

Danikat.8537

You need to salvage some of that nonsense. I only get the flood wall message when I’m selling tons of stacks of iron ore or something I know is ridiculous.

Get yourself some essences of luck and some mats you can sell later. (If you don’t like getting all those minor runes remember to use a basic salvage kit or a copper salvage-o-matic to reduce the chance of getting garbage.

I salvage the ones I can’t sell. But I’d rather have the money than materials, and certainly more than luck.

Edit: And yes I know if I salvage certain things and wait until the right time to sell the materials I can make more profit in the long-term but as mentioned above I just want a quick turn-over.

Danielle Aurorel, Dear Dragon We Got Your Cookies [Nom], Desolation (EU).

“Life’s a journey, not a destination.”

Posted by: Aidan Savage.2078

Aidan Savage.2078

I salvage the ones I can’t sell. But I’d rather have the money than materials, and certainly more than luck.

Edit: And yes I know if I salvage certain things and wait until the right time to sell the materials I can make more profit in the long-term but as mentioned above I just want a quick turn-over.

Salvage white-green crap, deposit the results. When the results start NOT depositing, go to a bank and sell a stack. White-green items almost NEVER sell for an amount worth the time to list them. You’re better off salvaging them and selling the materials.

Posted by: penelopehannibal.8947

penelopehannibal.8947

Salvage white-green crap, deposit the results. When the results start NOT depositing, go to a bank and sell a stack. White-green items almost NEVER sell for an amount worth the time to list them. You’re better off salvaging them and selling the materials.

I agree with this too. Even the higher level, light armour greens that sell for over 3 silver, you can pretty much make that with the fabrics that come from salvaging anyway.

The price of most items on the TP more or less reflect the price of their base parts.

Blood & Merlot [Wine]

Posted by: Paulytnz.7619

Paulytnz.7619

You’re selling too many too fast. I get it once in a blue moon. Sell more often (since you don’t have to be at the TP to sell) or deal with it. If you really need to hear from Anet create a ticket.

It is not the OP’s fault, this is a problem with the system in general. I am like you and do not get this too often either but there is 1 situation when this goes out the window. That is mass crafting:

I save up all my mats over periods of months and then decide to binge craft. In fact I did this just last night and got 2 more crafts to 400. As you can imagine I crafted hundreds of items. So of course this issue popped up for me as well. It is stupidly annoying. However I found a way to deal with it. When that message pops up press ok, click on sell again and just count 10 seconds. You can now spam sell again as per normal for a good min or 2.

Being that you can do that, it seems like the system in place is just redundant and does very little to effect any bots. It just annoys the legit players of course.

Since when did this business of being a hero become being a business?

Posted by: Donari.5237

Donari.5237

If you’re crafting up with hoarded mats, you can eke out even more crafting by salvaging what you make.

Posted by: EvilTwin.4125

EvilTwin.4125

The only thing I can say about this is that I get it a lot. I have several bags, but bags fill up really fast sometimes. Then I get this message again. <sigh>

Aidan Savage.2078

The only thing I can say about this is that I get it a lot. I have several bags, but bags fill up really fast sometimes. Then I get this message again. <sigh>

I have max bags on my character primarily used for events like SW and AB, and I NEVER have this issue. Not even when I open all the champ bags afterwards.

Paulytnz.7619

If you’re crafting up with hoarded mats, you can eke out even more crafting by salvaging what you make.

I was salvaging everything under 5 silver and I still had a ton to sell. A lot of what I was making was rares well and truly above the 20 silver mark each. I came out a good 200 gold better off afterwards and have every recipe unlocked now. That’s how I craft, I craft to unlock all the recipes even if I am maxed in the craft. So as such I have a ton of items that need selling and no longer need the mats so salvaging further does nothing for me.

There is also no point salvaging rares under lvl 76 as they give no ectos so yes selling is your best bet.

Aidan Savage.2078

So as such I have a ton of items that need selling and no longer need the mats so salvaging further does nothing for me.

There is also no point salvaging rares under lvl 76 as they give no ectos so yes selling is your best bet.

Wrong on both counts. It’s rares under level 66. As for materials, they’re actually BETTER to sell than individual items, as a stack of X size counts as one item, not X items. As a result, salvaging is generally the superior option anyways.

Posted by: TheBlackLeech.9360

TheBlackLeech.9360

Just another example of Anet punishing all of its everyday players for something a botter does.

Don’t expect a change…. its not like anet even plays their game enough anyway to realize that sometimes people want to sell a bunch of stuff at around the same time.

Paulytnz.7619

So as such I have a ton of items that need selling and no longer need the mats so salvaging further does nothing for me.

Wrong on both counts. It’s rares under level 66. As for materials, they’re actually BETTER to sell than individual items, as a stack of X size counts as one item, not X items. As a result, salvaging is generally the superior option anyways.

I knew it was ending in a 6. Either way I was making rares under that lvl to open all the “discovery” recipes and most were worth between 20-80 silver. I am not going to salvage that for a couple of iron, leather or cloth when it is obviously not worth as much.

All this aside telling other players to simply not use the system but to instead salvage everything is just plain silly. Why not just tell anet to remove the TP all together!?

MFoy.3284

Let me put this problem into a little more context. Specifically:

o I’m talking about emptying out two 20 slot backpacks with 36 available slots (See attached)

o I’m seeing this annoying message 4 – 5 times when I empty out

o As a human I doubt I can “Click too fast…” compared to ’Bot traders

o I’m seeing it rather I use the TP directly or call it up while playing

o I think this error message is set on a hair trigger with much too low a threshold

o Yes, I know I can salvage gear but choose not to

o I appreciate the guesses as to why this is even in the game but… they’re just guesses until Anet responds

As I said before the net effect is to create another PlayWall to my having fun in the game. I submit that is not “Working as intended.”

Attachments:

(edited by MFoy.3284)

Posted by: John Smith.4610

John Smith.4610

Next

This isn’t flood control or anti-bot, it’s a technical limitation. If we could reduce it we would.

I’ve said this elsewhere before, but I don’t remember where.

Posted by: Ylthan.1693

Ylthan.1693

So it’s a lost cause…
Great, one of the most annoying thing in the game will stay forever :/

Posted by: spartan.9421

spartan.9421

i wouldn’t say it’s one of the most annoying things in the game, just a slight annoyance, there is plenty of work arounds for it.

Worrying is like a rocking chair: You go back and forth but never get anywhere.

Aidan Savage.2078

This isn’t flood control or anti-bot, it’s a technical limitation. If we could reduce it we would.

Personally, I would recommend to NOT reduce it. As it is now, once people get over the nuisance factor, it can play a part in motivating them to actually LOOK at prices instead of spam clicking. The few times I’ve had it come up are in situations where the large amount of materials I’m selling have a negligible difference between buys and sells (on the order of coppers) and I simply go for insta-sells.

Posted by: Khristophoros.7194

Khristophoros.7194

I suggest improving/clarifying the error message so people don’t get the impression that they’ve tripped bot detection.

Previous

John Smith.4610

Next

I suggest improving/clarifying the error message so people don’t get the impression that they’ve tripped bot detection.

This is good feedback.

MFoy.3284

Thanks big time for the reply John. Yeah, I guess I could see that as a reason and I got what I wanted out of the thread: To be heard.

Other workarounds include:

o Take the gold you’ve already traded for and it resets the timer for a bit

o Sort your bags so you can sell off the good stuff first – Click on loot bag (left side @ TP) and click twice on price column to sort

o Close and reopen the TP window – Again you’ll get a short reset

I think the reason this is been happening to me more lately is the rise in medium armor prices due to the leather prices. Being a bird in the hand kinda guy I always go for the sale over salvage.

Thank you again, very kind of you

(edited by MFoy.3284)

Posted by: ArchonWing.9480

ArchonWing.9480

I haven’t set off this message for a very long time. While annoying; I think that it still is a valid safeguard against bots and other exploits that always aggressively exploit any loophole.

Honestly, I see little or no reason to bother TP’ing anything that isn’t a material, an exotic, or a specific rare. Convering them to generic materials makes them simultaneously easier to sell (you can set sell orders and still have them sell regardless) and make more money in the long run. Actually it’s not even “long run”, it’s like within the next 30 minutes.

I used to tp everything too because I was afraid of RNG and wanted gold right away. But how often is it that you need a few gold hand? Why open the bags now? After that I just got around much more efficiently.

Failing it, I often also just vendor things when they’re too close to vendor value and tp’ing them would be an utter waste of time.

I think the real culprit is the overwhelming amount of trash overloading bags. The most basic things are t7 materials, but also applies to the endless amount of keys and other useless materials that are hard to sell/make use of. HoT in particular has brought up an excess of useless spam materials that have really niche uses and just annoy the heck out of me, making the bag space seem much less.

For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards,
for there you have been and there you will long to return.

(edited by ArchonWing.9480)

Posted by: Sartharina.3542

Sartharina.3542

I’ve never thought it was about bot control. I always assumed it was about letting the server keep up with EVERYONE’S transactions.

Posted by: Josh XT.6053

Josh XT.6053

What exactly is causing this to NEED to happen? As a software developer for the past 20 years, I don’t see why this would be a forced limitation unless your servers simply can not handle it. If that is the case – upgrade servers, don’t say its just not fixable.

This has been my biggest complaint about this game since I started playing it. I have to spend an hour a week almost just trying to sell the stuff out of my bank because I do WvW and am too busy paying attention to playing the game to sell my mats, so I just hit deposit and sell everything over the weekend. If there was no limit on how fast I could sell, I’d have it all done in 5 minutes or less..

I shouldn’t be capped on how much I can sell, it doesn’t make sense. Please do explain and maybe someone here with knowledge like myself can make a suggestion to fix your problem.

Asphyxia [XT] – Fort Aspenwood Roamer
Twitch Stream – AsphyxiaXT
My Builds at Asphyxia.tv/builds

Posted by: DGraves.3720

DGraves.3720

What exactly is causing this to NEED to happen? As a software developer for the past 20 years, I don’t see why this would be a forced limitation unless your servers simply can not handle it. If that is the case – upgrade servers, don’t say its just not fixable.

You buyin’?

Posted by: ZudetGambeous.9573

ZudetGambeous.9573

I don’t get it… how can it be a technical limitation because I can buy items without this limitation and the server can handle it just fine. So the issue clearly isn’t technical.

Posted by: General Health.9678

General Health.9678

So the issue clearly isn’t technical.

Clearly /s
Despite the redname post above.
Clearly /s

Blame Abaddon, he loves your tears.
pve, raid, pvp, fractal, dungeon, world clearing, legendary questing.. Zapped!

Posted by: ZudetGambeous.9573

ZudetGambeous.9573

So the issue clearly isn’t technical.

Clearly /s
Despite the redname post above.
Clearly /s

Things we know as facts:

1. I can buy unlimited items off the Tp without any server limitations
2. I can pick up unlimited items into my inventory from the TP without any server limitations
3. I can set arbitrary buy order prices at unlimited speed without server limitations.
4. Doing any of these things in reverse (selling) causes an error to pop up

Things devs have stated as facts in the past:

1. Tp sell orders are a server limitation
2. new legendary weapons WILL be released in 2013
3. We can maker legendary weapons at a one per month pace
4. you will see 16 new legendary weapons with HoT
5. We are confident we can keep a 2 week release schedule
6. We will be introducing fractal leaderboards with the next patch
7. We didn’t release a half finished expansion

I’ll stick with the facts over the red posts, thanks though.

Posted by: Obtena.7952

Obtena.7952

I’ll stick with the facts over the red posts, thanks though.

Yeah makes sense … players interpreting facts over red post folks telling you why.

Previous

John Smith.4610

Next

Things YOU know as facts:
1. I can buy unlimited items off the Tp without any server limitations- FALSE
2. I can pick up unlimited items into my inventory from the TP without any server limitations – FALSE
3. I can set arbitrary buy order prices at unlimited speed without server limitations. – FALSE
4. Doing any of these things in reverse (selling) causes an error to pop up – what?
-series of random ad hominems that clearly make your points more valid…right?

Just because you don’t see the technical implementation of some aspects of the systems doesn’t mean it’s magic.

Posted by: UnitedChaos.8364

UnitedChaos.8364

hands ZudetGambeous aloe

Add “United Chi” to your friends list or guild!

Posted by: Sov.1407

Sov.1407

2. I can pick up unlimited items into my inventory from the TP without any server limitations – FALSE
3. I can set arbitrary buy order prices at unlimited speed without server limitations. – FALSE
4. Doing any of these things in reverse (selling) causes an error to pop up – what?

Just because you don’t see the technical implementation of some aspects of the systems doesn’t mean it’s magic.

translation: https://youtu.be/TbAkNWryy38?t=1m44s

Posted by: Jaxom.7310

Jaxom.7310

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clarke's_three_laws

Clarke’s third law
Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.

Posted by: Josh XT.6053

Josh XT.6053

Doesn’t really answer any questions. I know as a fact that software development isn’t magic, I’ve been doing it for 20 years. The limitations are generally set by hardware or network connections. If those are your limitations – upgrade. See NCSoft earnings report and tell me how this isn’t possible.

I don’t really know why you’re being defensive about it, lets try to be constructive and think about what can be done. Why are other games not limited in the way that you are? Maybe utilize your community who may just have some ideas you missed.

Asphyxia [XT] – Fort Aspenwood Roamer
Twitch Stream – AsphyxiaXT
My Builds at Asphyxia.tv/builds

Posted by: TPMN.1483

TPMN.1483

We know how much gold Evon makes from the trading post.
My question is how big is the city he has to store all the items he has – I mean:
18 Million candy corn, 10 Million noughts, Thousands of Weapons – does he have an underground network under LA or something ?

[MYTH] The Mythical Dragons -PvX http://mythdragons.enjin.com

Posted by: penelopehannibal.8947

penelopehannibal.8947

We know how much gold Evon makes from the trading post.
My question is how big is the city he has to store all the items he has – I mean:
18 Million candy corn, 10 Million noughts, Thousands of Weapons – does he have an underground network under LA or something ?

Zaishen chests.

Blood & Merlot [Wine]

Posted by: Obtena.7952

Obtena.7952

I don’t see why the answers are actually important … other than to prove you’re wrong over an academic argument. You’re lack of understanding that something has a technical limitation should not lead you to the conclusion that you are correct that it does not have that limitation … nor abuse people on the forum when they knock you down a level for being arrogant.

(edited by Obtena.7952)

Posted by: TPMN.1483

TPMN.1483

Hint:15 K is not a lot – for some markets it’s less than 0.001%

How about buy 1 million of an item at 2c and try resisting it – I wonder how long it would take and how much gold?

[MYTH] The Mythical Dragons -PvX http://mythdragons.enjin.com

Posted by: nosleepdemon.1368

nosleepdemon.1368

Doesn’t really answer any questions. I know as a fact that software development isn’t magic, I’ve been doing it for 20 years. The limitations are generally set by hardware or network connections. If those are your limitations – upgrade. See NCSoft earnings report and tell me how this isn’t possible.

I don’t really know why you’re being defensive about it, lets try to be constructive and think about what can be done. Why are other games not limited in the way that you are? Maybe utilize your community who may just have some ideas you missed.

I pegged you for a dba or sql monkey until I read about your theory that limitations in software engineering are generally either hardware or network based. Now I can only assume you are in fact, not a programmer at all.

Posted by: Wwefan.4982

Wwefan.4982

This has been my biggest complaint about this game since I started playing it. I have to spend an hour a week almost just trying to sell the stuff out of my bank because I do WvW and am too busy paying attention to playing the game to sell my mats, so I just hit deposit and sell everything over the weekend. If there was no limit on how fast I could sell, I’d have it all done in 5 minutes or less..

I shouldn’t be capped on how much I can sell, it doesn’t make sense. Please do explain and maybe someone here with knowledge like myself can make a suggestion to fix your problem.

Oh boy its one of these posts where the community thinks they know better than the devs cause they have “20 years as a software developer”. I hate to burst your bubble but you see these devs you know the ones qualified to make the game I’m going to say that they know their software better than the community. Now I’m not saying you don’t have good knowledge on software I’m sure you do but to make that you argument as to why your right is baloney. Take a therapist you have multiple kinds you have cognitive behaverioul therapists who deal with the present they know more about certain therioes now could I go in and start complaining “I study psychology and I can honestly say you are wrong” just cause I studied it no just like you have no right to complain about software when you have no scooby about what Anet use.

Sylvari mean

Posted by: EvilTwin.4125

EvilTwin.4125

I have max bags on my character primarily used for events like SW and AB, and I NEVER have this issue. Not even when I open all the champ bags afterwards.

Are we talking about the same thing? I’m talking about selling items on the trading post. I don’t have max-sized bags but when I try to empty my bags, a message comes up (something like “you’ve put too many items up for sale”). If we are talking about the same thing, and you never get this message, then I wish it wouldn’t happen to me, either. Though it is annoying, I just stop selling for several seconds, then start again. In some instances, it happens a second time after I’ve sold 2-3 items.

Posted by: spartan.9421

spartan.9421

All this because some guy got an error while selling? Bit ridiculous to attack anet and argue over something that isn’t even a problem.

Worrying is like a rocking chair: You go back and forth but never get anywhere.

Posted by: Banaghran.7510

Banaghran.7510

It might be better if you are a bit more specific, these would be true even if there was a limit of 2 billion items for buy and 100 items for sell, ofcourse making you a donkey in the process :P

Posted by: Dante.1508

Dante.1508

Do you really need to be so condescending about it?

Posted by: Shadelang.3012

Shadelang.3012

Even if he WAS being condescending (And I don’t feel like he was in truth. Atleast no more than was deserved due to the assumptive nature of the post hes responding to) the forums have shown that that attitude is the only one players actually respond too.

When they try to be uber polite they are often looked down on by the very people who have been demanding answers. (Perhaps the fact that they are DEMANDING answers is a sign?)

But John Smith in particular has a good bit more respect on the forums precisely because he doesn’t always take peoples kitten.

If people are talking out of there kitten they need to be shut down. Whether it be a player or a developer. Because on a public forum misinformation can be spread like fact. Even if it has no basis in reality.

Ghost Yak

Posted by: Dante.1508

Dante.1508

Even if he WAS being condescending (And I don’t feel like he was in truth. Atleast no more than was deserved due to the assumptive nature of the post hes responding to) the forums have shown that that attitude is the only one players actually respond too.

When they try to be uber polite they are often looked down on by the very people who have been demanding answers. (Perhaps the fact that they are DEMANDING answers is a sign?)

But John Smith in particular has a good bit more respect on the forums precisely because he doesn’t always take peoples kitten.

If people are talking out of there kitten they need to be shut down. Whether it be a player or a developer. Because on a public forum misinformation can be spread like fact. Even if it has no basis in reality.

I understand customers being kitten, its everywhere me included when i’m upset but i figured Developers were professionals and well were supposedly on another level etc.

Aren’t they suppose to be polite to their customers either way, honestly talking down to them doesn’t help at all and well imo no wonder the forums so hostile to them..