This is why I love the community in this game

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Koala.2684

Koala.2684

I was playing world of warcraft today (mainly because my friends play it too and I wanted to play games with them) and it was horrible.

One guy got shouted at because he was 10 minutes late for a raid, then it was really tense because our guild master getting angry at wiping on the boss.

Later on, one of the tanks left the group and started swearing at me because I won one of the items that he wanted.

I was like ok, I’ve had enough of that game and went back to the game I really wanted to play (not because of my friends) which is gw2.

I tried to find the entrance to the mystery cave and I got scammed (xD) by the bandits into paying 6g for the “safe passage” because I thought that was the way to go.

I wrote about it on the /map chat because I found it quite funny that a NPC managed to scam me off my gold.

And then something cool happened, a guy sent me gold just like that, without even saying anything.

I think that this shows the massive gap between wow’s and gw2 community. These two games are totally different experiences, and I am pretty sure I won’t go back to wow again. gw2 community is the best I’ve ever seen in an online game

Posted by: nGumball.1283

nGumball.1283

Guild Wars 2 community ingame is without a doubt one of the best. Friendly, helpful and welcoming. For the most part at least.

Posted by: shalywen.9548

shalywen.9548

It’s not about communities, you can find stupid or helping people anywhere.
Maybe your “friends” are not so friends, if they react like that for such stupid things in a videogame, instead of laughing and joking about it

Posted by: Xetu.7341

Xetu.7341

GW2 community is actually the worst out there in terms of criticism.

Posted by: Asa.3602

Asa.3602

Well first of all I’m happy for you that you love this community so. For me I’ve played games with much better community than gw2, most of those games were casual mmorpgs that had a small population but very friendly people. Comparing to those games, gw2’s community is absolutely hateful at times, forums and ingame chat both.

Posted by: Doggie.3184

Doggie.3184

Positive game design helps build a positive community. No fighting over loot with stupid item rolls and guild point systems and other silly things. Game just encourages good old fashioned fun Teamwork.

| Fort Aspenwood (NA): Sylvari Daredevil Thief Main: All Classes 80. |
Please Remove/Fix Thief Trait: “Last Refuge.”
“Hard to Catch” is a Horrible and Useless Trait. Fixed 6/23/15. Praise Dwayna.

Posted by: Turtle Dragon.9241

Turtle Dragon.9241

Many do not remember when people are nice to them, but clearly remember when others are mean to them. You want proof?

Name the person who last revived you when you were dead. You probably cant remember. It is very likely that you just said “ty” and moved on.
Now name the person who last did not revive you when you were dead and just walked away. You probably remember this quite well. Some of you might even have decided to add that person to their blocklist. I know that I have once waited for one of them to die during the same event chain, and leave them dead there and even type /rank on their corpse instead of reviving them.

Name someone who last invited you for free rewards in a dungeon because someone in their party had to leave early. You probably dont remember.
Now name the person who last kicked you from a dungeon. I am certain you clearly do remember.

That does not mean everyone shouldnt do nice things. And there are good things happening all the time. People just dont talk about whoever revived them, but will tell their whole guild about the “noob” who did not.

Posted by: Eponet.4829

Eponet.4829

Many do not remember when people are nice to them, but clearly remember when others are mean to them. You want proof?

Name the person who last revived you when you were dead. You probably cant remember. It is very likely that you just said “ty” and moved on.
Now name the person who last did not revive you when you were dead and just walked away. You probably remember this quite well. Some of you might even have decided to add that person to their blocklist. I know that I have once waited for one of them to die during the same event chain, and leave them dead there and even type /rank on their corpse instead of reviving them.

Name someone who last invited you for free rewards in a dungeon because someone in their party had to leave early. You probably dont remember.
Now name the person who last kicked you from a dungeon. I am certain you clearly do remember.

That does not mean everyone shouldnt do nice things. And there are good things happening all the time. People just dont talk about whoever revived them, but will tell their whole guild about the “noob” who did not.

I don’t actually remember any of the names, I remember the events, (Except the invited for free rewards one, because no one has ever done that for me, all the people I know well enough to find me while they’re in a dungeon that I’m not…are the people I run them with in the first place) but I don’t really care enough to bother searing their names into my memory.

Posted by: Dlarnkk.1068

Dlarnkk.1068

Despite your idea, OP, I argues against it.
The community is in fact balanced in term of kindness, and toxicity. While sure, the community may look nice. It also can be mean if you digs deeper. Like almost every MMORPG community out there. These are also rude players that you’ll eventually encounters. The Guild wars 2 community is no exception to having rude players inside it. Course the PvE made it so friendly because Arenanet strived to
1. Eliminate the PvE killsteal.
2. Everyone can resurrect eachanother!
3. They make it so you can work together on one quest! [Events in our term.]
4. They encourages players to get together to have fun instead of taking on the game alone.

. . .While it may leads to
1. Players will get upset if event is not done right.
2. Players’ll also get upset if someone is not occuring that other objective
3. We also have PvP side of community. You knows how this entails.
4. People will try to compare themselves between eachanother to see how good they are.

So I will say this -
We may have good community -
But we’re not immune to facing the reality.

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

The reason there are more kind people in Guild Wars 2 by percentage is that the game is more cooperative and less competitive. Things like gear score, and easily available combat meters, the ability to steal nodes (run by someone and mine the node while they’re fighting right next to it), or kills, means people who like that sort of thing will lean toward games that allow it.

That’s not to say there aren’t kittens in our community. But the percentage if kittens is smaller than when I played WoW.

It’s also true that smaller games with smaller populations tend to have better communities, because people get reputations far more easily.

Posted by: Just a flesh wound.3589

Just a flesh wound.3589

The difference between WoW and Guild Wars 2 community hinges upon the two game’s philosophy. WoW was deliberately made to be competitive. The two different factions can’t even talk to each other. Add world PvP servers, optional PvP in PvE servers, allowing people to grief the opposing faction by killing quest NPCs (to promote world PvP), kill stealing, node stealing, and other in game competition and you’ll get people that are less cooperative in general. They even have rude emotes to direct towards other players such as /spit. If this game has the same game mechanisms you’d see the same behaviors as you do in WoW.

Be careful what you ask for
ANet may give it to you.

Posted by: assasin oates.3018

assasin oates.3018

Hang on. A guy arriving late is bad and why would you role on a tank item if you’re not a tank?

Posted by: Eponet.4829

Eponet.4829

Hang on. A guy arriving late is bad and why would you role on a tank item if you’re not a tank?

Sometimes there are cases where the same trinket/cloak/whatever is an upgrade for several people of different specs. In organised raiding guilds, it’s going to end up delegated based on whom will get the most benefit/how quickly the item will be replaced.

In PUG groups, it tends to turn into “Roll on it if it’s an upgrade, no matter how small.”

Posted by: CETheLucid.3964

CETheLucid.3964

Now name the person who last did not revive you when you were dead and just walked away. You probably remember this quite well.

I honestly can’t remember either the one who revived me nor the one who snubbed me.

I don’t make attachments to people I’m not close to. I do keep my friends fondly the good and the bad experiences.

A stranger is either kind or cruel, and beyond that they’re nothing to me unless we establish a relationship.

I do honor those who are kind to me in the moment, and I may have words for those who are cruel or mean spirited.

But these episodes good or bad are never things I long remember unless the event was exceptionally memorable for whatever reason.

(Sounds like you had such an experience OP. Hope you made a new friend. )

People that revive me will get a proper “thank you”. Why you would only type “ty” when you have at like ~30 seconds of rubbing to sit through is beyond me.

They’re rubbing you back alive. You can at least give them a proper “thank you”. Bunch of baddie ingrates.

(J/K I love you all <3)

(edited by CETheLucid.3964)

Posted by: Labjax.2465

Labjax.2465

GW2 community is a good example of the concept that if 20% of the people are happy to help 80% of the time, you’re going to end up with a lot more friendly of a community than if 80% are grudingly helpful 20% of the time.

The ease with which people can be helpful means that when you run into that 1 in 5 person who is ready to bend over backwards for you, there is virtually no barrier to them doing it. And due to many GW2 setups involving a lot of people, your odds of running into somebody awesome are pretty good.

GW2, I’ve noticed, has a lot of people who play on auto-pilot (particularly in the world event environment). They follow the tag, don’t pay a lot of attention to mechanics, and almost never rez unless 3 or 4 others are already doing it. Which makes for an interesting environment because it means that – for example – all it takes is a handful of people working on rezzes and suddenly a LOT are following suit.

Or words to that effect.

Posted by: Aedelric.1287

Aedelric.1287

Every game community has bad eggs, with Guild Wars I have met far more good than bad.

“I am Evon Gnashblade and this message is acceptable to me.”

Posted by: serialkicker.5274

serialkicker.5274

GW2 might have greater amount or percentage of decent people than some other MMOs, but it’s far far from great community.

Posted by: StanleyJohny.8047

StanleyJohny.8047

I remember a situation i ha d afew days ago on spider farming.

I was doing with my two friends then some random dude joins and ruined our spawn timers. I said to him a couple times to join our party, that there is more than enough space for all of us. He wasnt answering. After 10 minutes of trying to show him that running together is much better option for everyone he finally joined our party.

One hour later we were making jokes and laughing together. He also apologize a couple times that he was so rude at the start. Literally i have never seen something like that in any other MMO

Posted by: Timbersword.9014

Timbersword.9014

It’s important to separate the community into facets.

As players the community is generally good, but this is often because of mechanics being set up such that being an kitten is rather difficult. We can’t kill steal, we can’t steal resource nodes, everyone can revive. Though honestly it isn’t so much that the community is good so much as there’s nothing they can really do that’s bad.

When we move into text is where things get iffy. Elitist pricks will be elitist pricks, and 99.% of all differences in opinion will only ever be settled with fisticuffs because its the internet. The other .01% is someone actually asking the armor piercing question that crumbles the other guy’s opinion into idiocy.

Thing is, the more people you gather, the less everyone’s individual reputation will shift, the more likely they are to be rude because being an kitten towards someone without power won’t negatively impact them any. Stick 10 guys in a room, they’ll quickly ostracize the one moron that will always pick a fight. Stick 100,000 guys in a room, one guy always picking fights is nothing, especially when the prior ratio suggests there are 10,000 guys always picking fights. Can’t possibly remember who is who at that point.

This is why communities of sufficient size will always be reduced to trash, even in PvE games. We can just be glad that GW2 goes out of its way to make seeing other players something to enjoy, so when we’re 3-4 strangers all hashing out an event, we exist in our own little bubble where we’ll all be semi-nice to each other, if never speak to one another. It’s ironic that taking out trolling opportunities also diminishes the necessity in socializing.

Posted by: Varrg.2704

Varrg.2704

OP has clearly never been in dungeon/PvP arena. Rest of the community is Reddit-tier hugbox.

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

GW2 might have greater amount or percentage of decent people than some other MMOs, but it’s far far from great community.

Actually it has a great community. I wouldn’t confuse everyone who logs in as part of the community though. The community itself is fine. Even the forum community for the most part. There are people who log in just to troll. are they part of the community though? I don’t think so.

The people who have been here and have played long term, or the new people who have fallen in love with Tyria are part of the community and I’d pit them against the community of any triple A MMO, with the possible exception of Lotro which has a very nice community as well. Between Lotro and Guild Wars 2, I wouldn’t want to pick.

But most other MMOs…rubbish communities for the longest term players.

I’d like to think it’s because we have more carebears. Carebears for the win!

Posted by: Rpgtabbycat.5869

Rpgtabbycat.5869

I don’t know if GW2 has the best community but I can agree, based on personal experience, that it does have a better community than WoW. But WoW also has one of the worst communities so most MMOs are going to have a better community.

Posted by: krzysiek.9061

krzysiek.9061

Are you surprised? 10 min is a lot of time and raid isn’t for 5 people. Also, everyone has a life and it’s not funny to wait 10 min when everybody knew about that raid.
Community in this game isn’t great. I don’t get any help in LA chat because everyone is busy. Chat is empty and dead. Only Mists and WvW are alive.
Just because someone sent you money it doesn’t mean that whole community is amazing. It isn’t.

Posted by: Liewec.2896

Liewec.2896

It’s not about communities, you can find stupid or helping people anywhere.

^ this
if i was still playing WoW i’d still be running low level players through the dungeons (“instances” to them) to help them level up, i found helping people was one of the most fun things in that game.

Posted by: VaLee.5102

VaLee.5102

You clearly haven’t seen the map chat during the meta events in DS and Tarir.

And wait until raids come. If the encounters are hard enough you will get the same happening in GW2 as in WoW.

Posted by: serialkicker.5274

serialkicker.5274

Actually it has a great community. I wouldn’t confuse everyone who logs in as part of the community though. The community itself is fine. Even the forum community for the most part. There are people who log in just to troll. are they part of the community though? I don’t think so.

The people who have been here and have played long term, or the new people who have fallen in love with Tyria are part of the community and I’d pit them against the community of any triple A MMO, with the possible exception of Lotro which has a very nice community as well. Between Lotro and Guild Wars 2, I wouldn’t want to pick.

But most other MMOs…rubbish communities for the longest term players.

I’d like to think it’s because we have more carebears. Carebears for the win!

Sorry, but I’ll have to disagree. Sometimes you might think someone is friendly at first, just because he said hi to you when he joined your party or maybe he revived you or he made some jokes or whatever, but once you get to know them more, that’s different story then. Like posts above say, put those people into dungeon, pvp, big events etc… and a lot of them will be quite different.

I’ll give you one quick example: I was doing AC (speedrun) and whole party was good, except one guy was kinda lost and he was obviously new with 800 AP. Everyone was annoyed because it was advertized as experienced and speedrun, but I decided to help the guy anyway. He appreciated that i didn’t yell at him like others, so later he add me to friend list and asked me some question about the game. I gave him some tips and told him how to build his guardian and showed him how to run AC. Two days after, he invites me to do AC. I joined and we were half way the dungeon and two people were having problems and died couple of times. So this guy, which I helped 2 days prior that, when he was in the same place as these two guys, lost and confused, this guy now started yelling at other two guys for being bad. It shocked me and I blocked the guy.
I met tons of idiots in my gw2 time. People are kittenes, plain and simple.

Posted by: Garambola.2461

Garambola.2461

if i was still playing WoW i’d still be running low level players through the dungeons (“instances” to them) to help them level up, i found helping people was one of the most fun things in that game.

I find that helping people is a lot of fun in any game. But I prefer to give real help, not money. Giving money is nice, but it is not fun. (And frankly, I just cannot afford it.)