This made me sad...

This made me sad...

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Kreapn.5647

Kreapn.5647

Hi forum goers, Im new to this game and I was excited tonight doing my first ever dungeon in it I hit 35 and saw that it was open for me to try… I found a group for the Ascalonian catacombs(something like that) Story Mode that was accepting everyone so i figured that was a good one to try being a total noob. I joined the group and was having fun until the first story screen popped up which i wanted to watch… well when i got done with it , the group was gone. It apparently continued on without me leaving me in a place that i had never been I tried to figure out where they went and kept running into enemys. So i pretty much got to kill a boss i think and loot a chest … and not be able to enjoy the rest of the place either story or the loot from it because i was stuck alone lost. It kind of killed the experience for me that i was so excited for.

Im just wondering if this is a normal thing, if no one waits for their group members to finish watching the story scenes and just ditches them if they are watching them so they can not continue on with the group. Yea i know im a noob , or baddy or whatever else people would call me, but i though maybe people wouldnt just leave a group member behind lost and go on without them.

I want to try again in the dungeon but i have a feeling the same thing will happen… ill try to watch the story and just get ditched again. If you ask why i dont run it with friends… well im new here i know no one :p

Sorry for ranting or whatever I just want to know if this is the normal occurrence that i should expect trying to do a story mode dungeon

This made me sad...

Posted by: IrishPotato.6327

IrishPotato.6327

Most groups expect players to skip cutscenes, but that’s usually in explorable mode and with a group “accepting everyone” for story mode, I would think as well that they would’ve waited. Different groups vary just gotta find the right one

This made me sad...

Posted by: Sankofa Jimiyu.1567

Sankofa Jimiyu.1567

Sorry that happened.
I like watching the story mode as well and record cutscenses for my characters since the Personal Story is not repeatable and the dungeon story mode is part of them. Most people are looking to get the dungeon done, rather than watch a cutscene.
Before things get going, let people know its your first time and want to watch the story play in cutscenes. I don’t know if it will help in the future, but it will let others know your intentions.

“Look like the innocent flower, but be the Obaba under’t.”

This made me sad...

Posted by: Akagami.9861

Akagami.9861

Just start your own group and mention this…there are plenty of people that want to watch the cutscenes…but most people saw them and don’t want to lose time with that anymore.

Think about yourself in a few months, when you know every in and out of every dungeon…and the usual 10-15 minutes run is doubled or tripled cause there is a new guy in the party….

This made me sad...

Posted by: MiniEquine.6014

MiniEquine.6014

I want to try again in the dungeon but i have a feeling the same thing will happen… ill try to watch the story and just get ditched again. If you ask why i dont run it with friends… well im new here i know no one :p

Sorry for ranting or whatever I just want to know if this is the normal occurrence that i should expect trying to do a story mode dungeon

This is a pretty typical occurrence with the dungeons, but fear not! The best option for you to experience the story as it folds out is to make your own party. It’s not difficult, and there are no special requirements or responsibilities that the party “leader” has to do. Go to the LFG tool and make a party with it. When there, make sure you say that it’s a story run and that you are “WATCHING ALL CUTSCENES” (caps optional). Most all people that would join a group like this (like me) are willing to hang around and experience the dungeon to do something different and to help newer people.

You will find this happening in the non-story modes as well, but making your own dungeon runs is something you’ll get used to. You seem like a well-intentioned and good person, so you’ll have no trouble making friends in the new mode. Just be aware, your party might mostly consist of newer people, so it might take some time.

Happy hunting!

This made me sad...

Kreapn.5647

Thank you for the advice! Ill try that out next time making a group for myself saying I intend on watching full cutscenes. I wouldnt mind a group that is slower and full of new people like me or people who are willing to help us :-) we have to learn somehow. Im sure theres actually a good amount of new people around since they ran the 75% off sale a couple weeks ago… its what got me to try this game, as well as getting bored with wow after 10 years lol. This game seems to have a lot to learn, and has actually been really fun for me so far, Story and game play has been good just very different from what im used to…. its a lot to take in as a fresh noob :-)

This made me sad...

Posted by: Cenwulf.7894

Cenwulf.7894

I was lucky enough to run through my first dungeons with people who were tolerant of my nerdy cut scene watching. That’s why whenever we take someone new through a dungeon, we tell them to watch if they want.

This is why our guild is specifically set up to be helpful to new players. We really want to able to pass along a great experience to others, whether they are new or not.

Kreapn, I PM’d you some information if you are interested in finding some players who you may enjoy running with.

This made me sad...

Posted by: Kal Spiro.9745

Kal Spiro.9745

I’m just going to throw this out there. Did it occur to you to ask the group where they went and explain that this is your first time so you don’t know where to go? They probably would have come back to get you. You could also have explained that since it’s your first time you wanted to watch the cutscene. As long as they know it’s happening and why the group should probably have agreed, or else they’d decline and you could start over or just not watch them this time around.

Tarnished Coast Kal Spiro – Ranger (80), LB/S-D, Eagle/Wolf, Signet, M/S/WS #SABorRiot
|Daredevil|Ranger|Guardian|Scrapper|Necromancer|Berserker|Dragonhunter|Mesmer|Elementalist
|Deadeye|Warrior|Herald|Daredevil|Reaper|Spellbreaker

This made me sad...

Posted by: XPilo.5862

XPilo.5862

The dungeon comunity on this game has become a little intolerant, people want do fast and easy runs, without talk or even think.
But you can easily avoid this kind of persons making your own dungeons group and describing what you expect in the looking for group (lfg) tool.
You can put “story fisrt time wacthing cutscenes”. With this you will get a good group.
Be sure that always read the lfg description and check the dungeon level requeriment before join a run.
If the lfg only has the path number they maybe accept low levels.
If the lfg say “fast run” they want level 80 that has experience with the dungeon.
If the lfg say meta build, full zerker, ping gear or anything similar just stay away, they are the worst and more elitist people on this game!!
And remember if you are new in a dungeon just ask what to do, some dungeons need, mostly people will be glad to help you.
Welcome to the game and have fun.

PD:
Sorry for my bad english.

This made me sad...

Posted by: Lampshade.7569

Lampshade.7569

It took me 12 seconds total to open a new tab, go to youtube and find a walkthrough for a specific dungeon. Five more seconds to find the cutscenes.

This made me sad...

Posted by: RabidCoqui.1983

RabidCoqui.1983

It took me 12 seconds total to open a new tab, go to youtube and find a walkthrough for a specific dungeon. Five more seconds to find the cutscenes.

I’m going to assume you mean the OP should’ve done this before attempting dungeon. While I would kinda agree on the walkthrough ( I don’t think dungeons are difficult enough that they can’t just be explained ingame), I don’t agree with the custcenes. I fully realize I’ll be in the minority on this, but I like to see them as I go, and in context.

For the OP, as many have stated already, either start your own group or join one, but let folks know you are new and watching cutscenes. Best bet is to join a guild and you’ll likely have guildies that are willing to not rush you.

This made me sad...

Posted by: Mirta.5029

Mirta.5029

when I do story modes I tend to directly say “you can and should watch cutscenes if you want to”. I do understand people wanting to rush trough, so if you want to do an immersive run the best thing to do would be to make your own LFG

some people want to experience things themselves, rather than watch a youtube video.

EDIT: also sorry for you having a bad experience I tend to try and stop those from occurring in the runs that I am in, but some people are just really intolerant of new players.

EDIT EDIT: another great thing to do though as well is to look for a welcoming guild. Lots of guilds will advertise as “family guilds” and “casual guilds” and you should not be afraid to join those and ask for runs there too. You might land on a guild that you don’t like, yes, but you should quite quickly find one where you will fit in (there are lots of new player friendly guilds in Guild Wars 2) and that will make sure that less bad experiences will happen

(edited by Mirta.5029)

This made me sad...

Posted by: Lord Arhan Warmark.7098

Lord Arhan Warmark.7098

By that logic, they might as well not play the game. You can obviously just experience it all through YouTube. That sounds like so much fun.

This made me sad...

Posted by: Countess Aire.9410

Countess Aire.9410

Sorry to hear about your bad experience. When you place a run in the LFG tool. Say you will be watching cut scenes. Sorry about the experience, but please try again. Dungeons are fun and good loot besides.

This made me sad...

Posted by: Lord Arhan Warmark.7098

Lord Arhan Warmark.7098

Hi forum goers, Im new to this game and I was excited tonight doing my first ever dungeon in it I hit 35 and saw that it was open for me to try… I found a group for the Ascalonian catacombs(something like that) Story Mode that was accepting everyone so i figured that was a good one to try being a total noob. I joined the group and was having fun until the first story screen popped up which i wanted to watch… well when i got done with it , the group was gone. It apparently continued on without me leaving me in a place that i had never been I tried to figure out where they went and kept running into enemys. So i pretty much got to kill a boss i think and loot a chest … and not be able to enjoy the rest of the place either story or the loot from it because i was stuck alone lost. It kind of killed the experience for me that i was so excited for.

Im just wondering if this is a normal thing, if no one waits for their group members to finish watching the story scenes and just ditches them if they are watching them so they can not continue on with the group. Yea i know im a noob , or baddy or whatever else people would call me, but i though maybe people wouldnt just leave a group member behind lost and go on without them.

Add me to your friends list. If you see me online and I’m not busy, I will happily do story mode with you for any of the dungeons.

This made me sad...

Posted by: NumenorLord.6539

NumenorLord.6539

I’m gonna log this night (working atm) if you want I’ll run the story mode with you (I’ll PM you). You can make your own LFG being specific and posting something like Story mode 1st time watching CS

What happens is that most people run story mode so they can open the dungeon on new charactes, so they want to go as fast as they can because most of them already know the content and have already seen the CS.

This made me sad...

Posted by: Loboling.5293

Loboling.5293

I had worse, I watched the intro cutscene during a story mode all welcome party. When it finished, my group had stealthed through most of the dungeon to the next boss… It took me like 10 minutes to get through the hordes of enemies. My team was so surprised when I showed up. “How did you get here?” I was so kittened after dying 10 times, that I didn’t feel up to rezzing anyone when they downed. Ruined experience. Rule is, people do different things. Just hope you find a good group, or mention at the start that you are new and are going to watch cutscences, its possible someone would wait for you to guide you to the next part.

Good luck for future dungeons.

This made me sad...

Posted by: smekras.8203

smekras.8203

Whether it is story mode or explorable, if someone is watching the cutscene i’m waiting for them. That said, unless agreed upon beforehand, it is generally bad form to make the group wait when in explorable.

In either case Kreapn, try with a different group next time, but do let them know, one way or the other. Or just poke people like Lord Arhan Warmark and me.

Server: Kaineng | Guild: Blackflame Legion [BFL]
Perhaps the only RP-oriented guild on the server
Main Character: Farathnor (sylvari ranger) 1 of 22

This made me sad...

Posted by: Torenn.2598

Torenn.2598

Including cutscenes in dungeons probably isn’t the best design idea, but you can’t fault people for wanting to watch them in context in story mode. The “YouTube it” response misses the point. And while I do think people are better off creating their own groups that explicitly state they are watching cutscenes, it’s kind of a shame they even have to do it. If I decide to enter a story mode dungeon, I’ve already taken into account that some people may be new or want to watch the cutscenes. It kind of goes with the territory, so I set my expectations accordingly.

I remember people bellyaching about cutscene watching even at release. It sucked because I wanted to watch them, but usually skipped them so I didn’t have to hear the whining.

This made me sad...

Posted by: Xillllix.3485

Xillllix.3485

Sounds like you need to join a Roleplaying guild.
Most people in this game just stack in corners and dodge against wall when it comes to dungeons.

This made me sad...

Posted by: Mirta.5029

Mirta.5029

Sounds like you need to join a Roleplaying guild.
Most people in this game just stack in corners and dodge against wall when it comes to dungeons.

casual guild, family guild, new player friendly guild… Lots of guilds would love to help this guy and take him trough the story missions

This made me sad...

Posted by: smekras.8203

smekras.8203

Even us roleplayers go for speed runs sometimes, but yeah… the solution to the OP’s problem is finding the right group, whether it is a guild or a scene-friendly pug.

Server: Kaineng | Guild: Blackflame Legion [BFL]
Perhaps the only RP-oriented guild on the server
Main Character: Farathnor (sylvari ranger) 1 of 22

This made me sad...

Posted by: Dante.1763

Dante.1763

OP if you want to do AC story mode, poke me in game, i need the story done on my RP character anyways for RP reasons!

The pvp community reminds me of what Obi-kittenenobi describes Mos Eisley as from star wars.

This made me sad...

Posted by: Dinks.2478

Dinks.2478

So, watch the cutscene. They clearly had no issue with you doing it. Then catch up afterwards. You think it is acceptable to make people wait on you? They will continue on and you can catch up when your cutscene ends.

This made me sad...

Posted by: Gern.2978

Gern.2978

When you enter a group for a dungeon that you haven’t done before, let the group know that. 9 times out of 10 they will be more than accommodating. But they aren’t mind readers; if they don’t know that you are new to the dungeon, then they can’t know to wait for you or to help you out.

Hi, my name is Gern, and I’m an altoholic….

This made me sad...

Posted by: DonQuack.9025

DonQuack.9025

So, watch the cutscene. They clearly had no issue with you doing it. Then catch up afterwards. You think it is acceptable to make people wait on you? They will continue on and you can catch up when your cutscene ends.

I was about to say the same thing. You are lucky they didnt kick you.

Concerns about HoT pre-order? Check here!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Am9gVQB8gss

This made me sad...

Posted by: Garambola.2461

Garambola.2461

This makes me sad too. But as many have already said there are other kinds of runs anf the best way to get one is to start it oneself. Today I met 8 nice people doing CoF story and P1. It could have been 9, but one person was on both runs. Two of them even wanted to hang around after. Hi guys and thanks! Pizza was good.

This made me sad...

Posted by: CalamityO.2890

CalamityO.2890

That is sad to hear. As others have said, either make your own lfg. Or tell the group that you’re new and you would like to watch the cutscene and could they wait for you. If you’re making your own lfg. Make it clear that cutscenes will be included. Some just don’t read and join, making a complete idiot out of themselves in the process. Ignore them.

General rule of thumb. Always keep communication up in dungeons. Make it clear where you are unsure. This prevents all sorts of grief that comes with joining a PUG.

inthecubbyhole.wordpress.com

This made me sad...

Posted by: Vileste.7148

Vileste.7148

I feel kind of bad now since we had an AC story group today as well and went through it pretty fast. We had two lvl 35 players in that group and I think one of them watched the cutscenes. Luckily, he did enough dmg on all the bosses to still get the chests (at least he ran to their directions, so I guess he got them all).

FYI: I’m one of the ppl who opens groups like “story all welcome” or “p1 all welcome”. That means for me the group does not have to be all 80 or all experienced players, it only means that I wont sell the dungeon since I read more and more often that ppl even started to sell story dungeons (which is very bad I think)

I’m sorry if players like me might have ruined your first dungeon experience. When I started doing dungeons myself I asked my companions if they could explain bosses and give me some advices. Most players don’t mind writing a few sentences more than usual, only a few are smug and might ignore you. If you want to repeat the dungeon the way it should be done, you can always add me ingame and I can show you the basics of each story dungeon. Hope your next party will be better, good luck!

(edited by Vileste.7148)

This made me sad...

Posted by: Zaklex.6308

Zaklex.6308

IF I ever wanted to do dungeons(I’ve done a little, though I don’t remember doing them) you can bet your last dollar I’m going to watch the cut scenes, not only that, but I’m going to want to kill every single trash mob in the place. If you have an appointment to keep, then I would suggest not doing a dungeon with me. Personally, I’m in no hurry to complete anything, I’m not on deaths bed, I play several hours every day…that’s just the way I play…remember, “play the way you want”.

This made me sad...

Posted by: Gaile Gray

Gaile Gray

ArenaNet Communications Manager

Kreapn — as you’ve seen, people play the game differently. No problem, but you would have liked to know that before being left alone in the dark, right?

I like the suggestions you’ve seen here — and those are good ones, guys! I hope you’ll give it a go in the future, maybe forming your own group, joining a guild, or following the other advice in this thread.

I hope you have a blast next time!

Gaile Gray
Communications Manager
Guild & Fansite Relations; In-Game Events
ArenaNet

This made me sad...

Posted by: ReV.6097

ReV.6097

There are quite a few dungeon cut scenes I haven’t seen (except threw going back and watching on Youtube), despite playing for 2 years. Some people who do dungeon story, might be doing it to aid a friend, or may not care for the cutscenes, but just want to finish the story to get a quick result towards their achievement points (Dungeon master title rank) etc.

GW2 Role Play Deviant art -
Legacy of Kain:
[link]http://fav.me/d8kgamy[/link]

This made me sad...

Posted by: Mr Satan.3519

Mr Satan.3519

Hey there Kreapn! Personally I rarely use the lfg tool, but every now and then end up with less than 5 players untill some friend wants to join or till the very last boss where I either give the empty slot(s) to friends or add my group to lfg to give the path to someone who needs it. So I’m not much help there.

Whenever I do a story it’s for unlocking explorable on characters I havent unlocked it on or to help friends. Cutscenes have been watched plenty times and is nothing I think about. Without knowing beforehand that people want to watch them, I don’t usually react if they stop moving but rather assume they need a quick afk. Without being told that theres someone in party that hasnt done the dungeon or don’t remember it, I’ll assume they have some experience at least and will ask for help if needed.

However, do feel free to add me as a friend ingame and give me a yell if you need help or anything. I have plenty experience helping and carrying through dungeons

This made me sad...

Posted by: Cazamar.7148

Cazamar.7148

What? How dare you try and watch the story while doing a dungeon in story mode. /sarcasm

This made me sad...

Posted by: DarkWasp.7291

DarkWasp.7291

If we beg really hard, we may be able to eventually get dungeons reworked using HoT’s new dialog systems (which includes the ability for your character to talk while you still have control.)

If done right, cutscenes can be removed from dungeons entirely. The story will unfold before your eyes and no one will be able to skip it. Of course it would anger many many veteran players unless said moments were balanced so that did not slow down the pacing of the dungeon.

I for one would like to see an end to cut scenes interrupting me in the middle of typing “Thanks” at the end. I also wouldn’t mind knowing what I’m doing story-wise in each dungeon yet at the same time have less exposition dumps in front of closed gates. Make it dynamic!

^ Uses Guild Wars 2 character screenshots for desktop wallpapers.

(edited by DarkWasp.7291)

This made me sad...

Kreapn.5647

I would like to thank everyone who gave helpful responses to me, last night i jumped on and tried some of the suggestions, i ended up finding a group of decent people willing to take their time.. well the first group had one guy who seemed to thing he was better than everyone there and made fun of us for watching the cutscenes while trying to rush us :p … met someone who was a big help too i mentioned i unlocked the lvl 40 instance and he helped me get there unlocking waypoints on the way and ran that with me also with a group who was willing to wait on cut scenes and even wait for me to make bag space when i filled up! It was a good time and i was also reassured by them i am not playing too horribly for just starting lol.

Sorry to those who said to add me to friends or hit them up in game etc, im really not sure how to even do that. But thank you all who gave sincere responses, Like the guild wars guy kittenponded said.. there were very helpful responses that I just wish i knew before that first run experience. You have helped me with my progression into this game though :-D.

The one guy who was very helpful and stuck around to set up the 2nd group for me also had me add him to friends and said he was up for dungeons whenever.. yay!

(edited by Kreapn.5647)

This made me sad...

Posted by: Lethalvriend.1723

Lethalvriend.1723

If you would like to add people from the forum as friends ingame, open your friends list. Then in the bar at the top you can type in a player name or an account ‘tag’. The tags are the ones you are seeing on the forum here, mine being Lethalvriend.1723 for example. Once you add someone you should be able to see when that person is online and if you talk to them and ask them to add you aswell then you will be able to see a small amount of extra information when a mutual friend is online.