This week's special surprise

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: lordkrall.7241

lordkrall.7241

I’m also realistic.
If anet doesn’t release something soon I’m going to lose what little interest I currently have in the game, only having pure gold sinks left achievement wise/skin wins or WvW grind wise…nty
and then when I get hooked on f2pMMO number 6 then realistically I might not come back to the game, I realistically might decide I don’t want to spend $$ on a game that is just going to release an Xpac and then no update for another 6 months.

I just explained why people were “happy” with only getting HoT information. And we are happy because we know that it is not realistic for a company as ArenaNet to develop both and expansion and other content at the same time.

You are free to take a break whenever you want. That is the beauty with B2P. You don’t have to play in order to get your monies worth out of the sub. You can move away and do something else and then come back in a few months.

I am sure there are some people that will just leave forever (due to their unrealistic expectations) but it is rather likely that the majority will still be back when HoT is released.

I also seem to recall that the Living Story will pick up again after the expansion, so we will probably get updates quite frequently for a while after launch as well.

Krall Bloodsword – Mesmer
Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

lordkrall.7241

It’s realistic for Anet to release content 3x slower than every other AAA MMO currently on the market? Seems like it is more realistic to expect a feature patch every 3 months in addition to an expansion every 2 years just like other MMO’s do…

In fact I don’t know of a single MMO other than GW2 that completely stopped all content to release an expansion 9 months later.

Really? 3x slower?
How many releases did WoW how in the year before the latest expansion?
How many releases have LotRO had since their last expansion?

Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

Posted by: Doggie.3184

Doggie.3184

Rumors have been flying around for quite some time that only 3 were going to be revealed and who knows when they’ll start it up again. Hoping it’s not true cuz it’s pretty unfair to the classes who have no idea what their weapon is and can’t enjoy the ability to buy skinz in advance while their discounted.

Not really sure how that is much of a rumor when they outright stated it last week that there would be no specialization reveal this week. (I also seem to recall an article for the Chronomancer reveal saying that we will get the first three the coming weeks).

Maybe cuz no one wants to believe something so horrific could be real.

| Fort Aspenwood (NA): Sylvari Daredevil Thief Main: All Classes 80. |
Please Remove/Fix Thief Trait: “Last Refuge.”
“Hard to Catch” is a Horrible and Useless Trait. Fixed 6/23/15. Praise Dwayna.

lordkrall.7241

How is it horrific?

Would people really prefer to just rush through all the Specializations and then potentially go 3 months before release?

Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

Posted by: ZudetGambeous.9573

ZudetGambeous.9573

It’s realistic for Anet to release content 3x slower than every other AAA MMO currently on the market? Seems like it is more realistic to expect a feature patch every 3 months in addition to an expansion every 2 years just like other MMO’s do…

In fact I don’t know of a single MMO other than GW2 that completely stopped all content to release an expansion 9 months later.

Really? 3x slower?
How many releases did WoW how in the year before the latest expansion?
How many releases have LotRO had since their last expansion?

WoW is over 10 years old, they have a large bank of content and maps to play so they don’t need to keep the same pace. If we look at the time in its lifetime similar to gw2 we can see they had: Expansion Release on January 9th 2007. In the year before that they had 6 major patches, or one every 8 weeks while they worked on the expansion.

Of course in the time between their last 2 expansions they had 5 major patches, and they are MAJOR, dwarfing anything GW2 has launched.

LotRO i’m not super familiar with but a quick google search has their last expansion releasing in November of 2013. In the year before that released 11 patches, with 4 of them being major patches.

So it looks like we should expect 3-6 major patches (new zones, new dungeons, new raids, new PvP maps) in the year before an expansion based on your examples…

Doggie.3184

How is it horrific?

Would people really prefer to just rush through all the Specializations and then potentially go 3 months before release?

Yes.

Posted by: lighter.2708

lighter.2708

trait update patch please

lordkrall.7241

I don’t really know where you checked, but in 2013, LotRO had a total two big patches, one in March and one in May, with the Expansion launching in November.

Since then there have been a total of 4 “major” patches, all of which included so little content that it was completble in less than a week of rather casual playing.

Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

ZudetGambeous.9573

I don’t really know where you checked, but in 2013, LotRO had a total two big patches, one in March and one in May, with the Expansion launching in November.

Since then there have been a total of 4 “major” patches, all of which included so little content that it was completble in less than a week of rather casual playing.

well that’s 4 weeks more content than GW2 has received in the last 3 months. Anet is still in a pretty good position, it has only been 2.5 months since the announcement. A major feature patch in the next 2-4 weeks would put them on track. But saying we won’t get ANY content before release would be very bad for Anet imo.

lordkrall.7241

well that’s 4 weeks more content than GW2 has received in the last 3 months. Anet is still in a pretty good position, it has only been 2.5 months since the announcement. A major feature patch in the next 2-4 weeks would put them on track. But saying we won’t get ANY content before release would be very bad for Anet imo.

Except for the fact that those 4 updates were between now and 1,5 years ago.
While GW2 got their last update about 4 months ago. That is over a year in difference.

A feature patch will not include content though. It will include features. And we KNOW that there will be at least one feature patch between now and the release of the expansion, since we know that the specialization system is coming before, we also know that the Personal Story fixes should be coming before as well.

Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

Posted by: Wanze.8410

Wanze.8410

I want an endless bunny ears tonic in the gem store just to see the rage from those players that constantly demand bunny ears being introduced as an armor skin.

Then probably a couple of SAB outfits and no SAB.

Tin Foil [HATS]-Hardcore BLTC-PvP Guild
Bloin – Running around, tagging Keeps, getting whack on Scoobie Snacks.

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

As many of you know, there won’t be an elite specialization reveal this week. Some people have put forward other interesting ideas as to what they might do, such as outline guild-halls or another special feature of HoT. But what if they are patching in the specialization system??

In the past, they have always given advance notice of the specific dates for updates that will cause massive disruption, typically 4-6 weeks or so. They might release more information today or even announce a release date for Core Specializations™. But actually add specializations today? I can’t imagine it.

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”

Posted by: Donari.5237

Donari.5237

Or, it’s a holiday weekend and they plan to go on holiday too? It’s a wild idea, I know.

Honest question here, what holiday ?

It’s Memorial Day Weekend in the US, Monday is a federal holiday. Most private companies don’t have the Monday off (in fact, retailers go into overdrive with sales) but loads of people traditionally do cookouts over the weekend.

For those worried there is no reveal this week, calm down! There is just no specialization reveal. The only “break” they’re taking is from specs. We’re not getting an information shutdown this week.

Here, in https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KIFkYdG7yoM at 52:40 to 53:15 or so, Rubi says they’re taking a break from spec reveals because they have something else special to reveal and it will need a whole show.

Posted by: phys.7689

phys.7689

That’s not hard it is just tedious. People want challenging mechanics that require organization, teamwork and quick thinking.

And how long will that stay challenging?
A week?
A month?

All in all it will take way more time to develop it than it will take for the players to no longer find it challenging.
Without something that is constantly changing randomly people will learn how to do it, and it will no longer be challenging. Simple as that.

challenge can exist even when you know how to do something. Surprising is something different.

and even in your case, the game should still be engaging.

Posted by: pdavis.8031

pdavis.8031

Or, it’s a holiday weekend and they plan to go on holiday too? It’s a wild idea, I know.

It’s Memorial Day Weekend in the US, Monday is a federal holiday. Most private companies don’t have the Monday off (in fact, retailers go into overdrive with sales) but loads of people traditionally do cookouts over the weekend.

For those worried there is no reveal this week, calm down! There is just no specialization reveal. The only “break” they’re taking is from specs. We’re not getting an information shutdown this week.

Here, in https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KIFkYdG7yoM at 52:40 to 53:15 or so, Rubi says they’re taking a break from spec reveals because they have something else special to reveal and it will need a whole show.

Correction Memorial day is 5/25. Which is next Monday…

And they most likely will be taking that day off, but will be back in the office on Tuesday (5/26)

As far as whats going to be revealed I am leaning towards guild halls. Aside from a brief mention, they havent really gone into that. Although they may talk about functionality, and some construction, I don’t think they’ll get too in depth about the construction side. Revealing too much could have catapstrophic market consequences if it required some material that you can get off the TP. My guess is that if any mats are to be used, with would be the T7 mats. (i.e. Bloodstone dust, empryeal fragments, dragonite ore)

“You know what the chain of command is?
It’s the chain I beat you with until you
recognize my command!”

ZudetGambeous.9573

Looks like the special surprise is that we get to watch NPC’s work on LA!!!

Posted by: phys.7689

phys.7689

i wonder if thats what they meant, not a big news story though

Posted by: CureForLiving.5360

CureForLiving.5360

Now all ANet needs to do is mall all the players a complementary whip, so we can… help motivate the workers to get on with it already. They’ve certainly been taking their time so far.

Posted by: Ephemiel.5694

Ephemiel.5694

Yay, we get to take a survey that will decide like 4 or 5 things.

“Would you kindly?”

Posted by: Kal Spiro.9745

Kal Spiro.9745

I don’t understand why people are happy enough to settle with HoT news as “content”
That seems to be Anets motto right now.

We’ll give them info on HoT and that’ll keep them busy watching a 120s video for 2 weeks. np.

Because some people are realistic?

How is releasing new content every month, and then every half a month for two years 3 times slower than anyone ever? Just because most of it didn’t stick around? Boo hoo.

They tried one way, and it works for some people and not for others. Now they’re trying it the other way.

Personally I’d love to know what games you’re playing that apparently have massive chunks of random permanent content and regular expansions happening simultaneously. Because I certainly have never played that game, let alone what is apparently a genre of games.

Tarnished Coast Kal Spiro – Ranger (80), LB/S-D, Eagle/Wolf, Signet, M/S/WS #SABorRiot
|Daredevil|Ranger|Guardian|Scrapper|Necromancer|Berserker|Dragonhunter|Mesmer|Elementalist
|Deadeye|Warrior|Herald|Daredevil|Reaper|Spellbreaker

Posted by: HawkMeister.4758

HawkMeister.4758

I must admit this caught me totally by surprise AND IT IS AWESOME!

Polish > hype

Posted by: CMF.5461

CMF.5461

Posted by: Excludee.3850

Excludee.3850

Oh yes, scaffolding and wooden boards with no playable content whatsoever sure is awesome.

Posted by: Ashen.2907

Ashen.2907

Memorial day is next monday (25th) and the associated weekend is next weekend.

Posted by: Palador.2170

Palador.2170

Oh yes, scaffolding and wooden boards with no playable content whatsoever sure is awesome.

I’m really hoping that this isn’t the “big news” for the week.

They’re working on rebuilding Lion’s Arch. That’s not really news to anyone. And the NPC conversation about Hero-Tron being in charge of putting people to work kind of told us already that it was going to speed up soon. For this to be the big news would be … laughably bad.

Sarcasm, delivered with a
delicate, brick-like subtlety.

Excludee.3850

They’re working on rebuilding Lion’s Arch. That’s not really news to anyone. And the NPC conversation about Hero-Tron being in charge of putting people to work kind of told us already that it was going to speed up soon. For this to be the big news would be … laughably bad.

You and I both know that this is probably it. The stream this week is just gonna be about “Oh man you can decide the names of the squares! Visionary!”

Posted by: cocowoushi.7150

cocowoushi.7150

Lol you’re all silly if you think this is the “big news” they are going to talk about on Friday. They have been covering HoT stuff the past 3 weeks or so; I’m positive it will be HoT related.

Kal Spiro.9745

Considering today is Tuesday the 19th, the earliest Monday and Weekend we can have is next Monday and next Weekend. So I’m missing your point.

Tarnished Coast Kal Spiro – Ranger (80), LB/S-D, Eagle/Wolf, Signet, M/S/WS #SABorRiot
|Daredevil|Ranger|Guardian|Scrapper|Necromancer|Berserker|Dragonhunter|Mesmer|Elementalist

Ephemiel.5694

Lol you’re all silly if you think this is the “big news” they are going to talk about on Friday. They have been covering HoT stuff the past 3 weeks or so; I’m positive it will be HoT related.

….so the rebuilding of Lion’s Arch will not happen in HoT according to you?

“Would you kindly?”

Excludee.3850

Remember when we had a week about frogs?

I do.

Ephemiel.5694

I actually asked them in their Facebook if this ended up being the “surprise” they had for this week and all i got was a snarky comment from Rubi Bayer saying that they’ll only show specs when they’re ready.

“Would you kindly?”

Posted by: CureForLiving.5360

CureForLiving.5360

I do.

I all fairness, those were some awesome frogs.

Donari.5237

Considering today is Tuesday the 19th, the earliest Monday and Weekend we can have is next Monday and next Weekend. So I’m missing your point.

Exactly. People asked why there wouldn’t be something new this Thurs/Fri and others suggested it was due to the coming holiday weekend in which ANet staff might not want to be around for damage control or forum monitoring. Someone asked what holiday, I answered.

Not that I think they will be taking a holiday break, as private businesses don’t for Memorial Day.

Posted by: Crystallize.8603

Crystallize.8603

http://days.to/24-february/2015

Since last content update.

Can mods please stop locking threads that are constructive.
Just delete posts that are derailments.

Excludee.3850

I do.

I all fairness, those were some awesome frogs.

The best frogs.

Ashen.2907

The person I originally quoted said that we were currently in a holiday weekend. The responder suggested that the holiday in question was Memorial day. I pointed out that such was not the case because the Memorial holiday weekend doesnt occur until next weekend. I really am curious as to which holiday was being referred. Holiday histories are of particular interest to me. I also find interesting how often local holidays are assumed to be celebrated on a wider scale than is actually the case.

Kal Spiro.9745

The person I originally quoted said that we were currently in a holiday weekend. The responder suggested that the holiday in question was Memorial day. I pointed out that such was not the case because the Memorial holiday weekend doesnt occur until next weekend. I really am curious as to which holiday was being referred. Holiday histories are of particular interest to me. I also find interesting how often local holidays are assumed to be celebrated on a wider scale than is actually the case.

You misunderstood. Everyone involved was always talking about this coming weekend since the videos are on Friday.

Donari.5237

Yes —- I’m agreeing with you and disputing those you quoted, Kal. Sorry for my unclear quotage choice.

Doggie.3184

Yay, they added more weapons that I can’t buy cuz my spec isn’t officially known yet.

Posted by: Palador.2170

Palador.2170

You and I both know that this is probably it. The stream this week is just gonna be about “Oh man you can decide the names of the squares! Visionary!”

Yeah, I know.

Sarcasm, delivered with a
delicate, brick-like subtlety.

cocowoushi.7150

You know exactly what I’m saying; why would you even ask that?

Regarding frogs: was still HoT related. Taking Master tracks with those tribes opens up abilities you will use in HoT.

But I don’t think that would count as a “big” reveal.

Ashen.2907

You misunderstood. Everyone involved was always talking about this coming weekend since the videos are on Friday.

You are absolutely correct. My apologies for mistakenly thinking it was a reference to this Tusday’s patch.

Excludee.3850

You know exactly what I’m saying; why would you even ask that?

Regarding frogs: was still HoT related. Taking Master tracks with those tribes opens up abilities you will use in HoT.

But I don’t think that would count as a “big” reveal.

At best it’s gonna be, “Workers are building the guild halls”

Posted by: Tommyknocker.6089

Tommyknocker.6089

Meh, back to silverwastes.

cocowoushi.7150

At best it’s gonna be, “Workers are building the guild halls”

“At best” they could discuss the new features with halls, how to get them, and look into them in game and give more information about them. Just saying “btw the big reveal are npc workers!!” is foolish to think that is what the whole stream would be.

Posted by: Gibson.4036

Gibson.4036

Cool city made out of ships to be replaced with impersonal looking monumental architecture.

Woohoo!

And I get a multiple choice poll to name a couple of the landmarks.

Bonus!

Posted by: Shaogin.2679

Shaogin.2679

Yay, they added more weapons that I can’t buy cuz my spec isn’t officially known yet.

Mesmer – Shield
Guardian – Longbow
Necromancer – Greatsword
Ranger – Staff
Elementalist – Sword
Engineer – Hammer
Thief – Rifle
Warrior – Pistol

Just assume that list is correct, has been so far.

Doc Von Doom – Asuran Necromancer
Gate of Madness
Contribute to the Wiki MetaBattle Builds

Posted by: Tachenon.5270

Tachenon.5270

Visionary! Not a bad name for the new guardian spec. High concept: a guardian who uses a bow and traps to help realize his/her VISION of a Tyria without dragons.

As for the special surprise, well, I like the picture at the top of the article, but can the ground upon which LA stands support such a structure? What I mean is, was the structure build upon the existing topography of LA, or did someone just design something that looks cool and plonk it down without regard to the underlying terrain as we’ve known it for nearly three years now? Or! Is this even the same location? That much rock — where is it coming from? Will a quarry appear on an adjacent map? Inquiring minds want to know!

Further wonderment: will the revised Personal Story missions that take place in LA use the old LA, or the soon to be new and improved LA?

The table is a fable.

Posted by: Regina Buenaobra

Regina Buenaobra

Content Marketing Lead

I actually asked them in their Facebook if this ended up being the “surprise” they had for this week and all i got was a snarky comment from Rubi Bayer saying that they’ll only show specs when they’re ready.

That was actually me. I sign my posts with RB. Rubi signs her posts with RB2.

What you asked was whether the Lion’s Arch info was the reason there was no specs reveal. To pit these two pieces of information against each other misunderstands the game development process and the fact that we have different teams working on different features. The folks working on Lion’s Arch are not the same people we have working on profession specializations. As I said on Facebook: we release information when we’re ready to do so. If we haven’t revealed something, it’s because we’re not ready yet.

Content Marketing Lead
Twitter: @ArenaNet, @GuildWars2
In-Game Name: Cm Regina Buenaobra

Posted by: Vesuvius.9874

Vesuvius.9874

That was actually me. I sign my posts with RB. Rubi signs her posts with RB2.

What you asked was whether the Lion’s Arch info was the reason there was no specs reveal. To pit these two pieces of information against each other misunderstands the game development process and the fact that we have different teams working on different features. The folks working on Lion’s Arch are not the same people we have working on profession specializations. As I said on Facebook: we release information when we’re ready to do so. If we haven’t revealed something, it’s because we’re not ready yet.

You forgot to add the ™ symbol when you said “when it’s ready” :P Gotta keep Colin happy