[Merged] Ascended Armor Impressions

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Penguin.5197

Penguin.5197

Even though its not engineer style, I thought the medium set on charr looked pretty sweet. As for other sets…(I only keep seeing human/norn posted >.>) Its so-so.

Posted by: Teege.4623

Teege.4623

Good. Seriously don’t any of you see how horrible it would be to have good looking ascended armor? You would never be able to transmute over it since it is so costly to get the skins back if you change your mind (either un-transmute stone x6 or make a new ascended set).

In my opinion Anet went the right way by making them vanilla and not nullifying all the other awesome skins in this game.

Ugly armor + ca$h $hop stones = profit.

“We just don’t want players to grind in Guild Wars 2.” -Colin Johanson
Don’t support the Gem Shop, it’s that easy.

Posted by: Lafiel.9372

Lafiel.9372

No no guys! ascended gear was meant to be implemented at launch, anet just was extremely slow with it. You can tell it was designed to be made for launch because everything was balanced around ascended gear… no wait what am I talking about?

Posted by: KOPPER.1458

KOPPER.1458

There was no bridge to gap.

In an interview Colin J mentioned that ascended was created because the developers originally thought Exotics were going to take some time to acquire. This wasn’t the case, infact exotics as we all know are very easy to obtain. Fresh 80s have them very easily.

Ascended is supposed to fill that role. While offering a slightly better stat upgrade (still not needed for any current content) it also takes longer to make because it is time gated.

Probably not the best system as most will agree. Crafting to 500 is a gold sink, and Ascended weapons aren’t time gated at all. It’s a money gate with a slight grind for a few materials.

Posted by: KOPPER.1458

KOPPER.1458

signed. Armor is terrible looking. While I didn’t love all the weapons, some were nice looking to me. The armor on the other hand…

Posted by: Arkham Creed.7358

Arkham Creed.7358

Ascended armor? When did they add this? Or is this another of Dulfy’s leaks?

Posted by: Lisa.6102

Lisa.6102

Play blindfolded and there won’t be an issue

Posted by: daimasei.4091

daimasei.4091

Oh gods! They are so ugly.

And the cost/time to craft those must be ridiculously high so, no thank you, I’ll wait for legendary armor (maybe legendary armor will be even uglier but at least they will be “Legendary” and will likely have the option to change stats so no need to grind like idiot to make several sets).

Why fix the Necromancer for free when we can charge $$$ for the Revenant
-ArenaNet

(edited by daimasei.4091)

Posted by: Fletch.3572

Fletch.3572

I’m jumpin on the hate train too, that stuff looks terrible lol.
Corky from Life goes on must be one of the top armor designers!

Posted by: Avatara.1042

They were added into the dat file or some crap, and now people are linking them all over the place.

Posted by: Nike.2631

Nike.2631

Guys, let’s keep in mind that these might not be the final versions of the armor sets, and that the textures could be subject to change until their official release. The same can be said with how they interact with dye colors. Until then, it’s best not to judge the sets for what we currently see.

Comedy gold.

“Well, it might still change”

Its been added to the live database. The window for feedback and correction has long since closed.

“You keep saying ‘its unfair.’
I wonder what your basis for comparison is…”
- Jareth, King of Goblins.

Posted by: Khisanth.2948

Khisanth.2948

The codes can be obtained from gw2db which looks like they were extracted from the GW2.dat since they are all named “Encrypted”.

Light
[&AgGJuwAA][&AgF5uwAA][&AgGHuwAA][&AgGIuwAA][&AgGKuwAA][&AgGGuwAA]

Medium
[&AgF9uwAA][&AgF/uwAA][&AgF7uwAA][&AgF8uwAA][&AgF+uwAA][&AgF6uwAA]

Heavy
[&AgGDuwAA][&AgGFuwAA][&AgGBuwAA][&AgGCuwAA][&AgGEuwAA][&AgGAuwAA]

In case anyone else wants to preview on their character. All in one place.
Just copy and /w yourself so you don’t spam /m and /l!

As for the sets themselves … really not that great. Finally another medium set that isn’t a longcoat and it is this. The heavy keeps conjuring up imagines of skeletons for me. It feels like someone was going for “bone armor” but then decided they didn’t want to.

As for the hats … I guessing whoever designed the heavy helm also designed the pit fighter one(the exotic not the karma one).

Posted by: Lafiel.9372

Lafiel.9372

Lol, do you think anet would make a “base” looking armor look good. As people have said above, it is all about making you spend money on skins. What better way to make people spend more money on reapplying their existing skin from their exotic armor then to introduce a new set.

If anet wasn’t so greedy they would have sent out 10-20 free transmutations stones to not waste everyones money from before. We’ll see how that goes.

(edited by Lafiel.9372)

Posted by: Paulytnz.7619

Paulytnz.7619

Not seen what they look like on males, I guess they might not look too bad. I never liked many of the looks on females anyways so this is nothing new for me. :P

Since when did this business of being a hero become being a business?

Arkham Creed.7358

And in today’s example of shoddy and lazy design; the heavy human male helmet clips with the chest plate. Armor isn’t even in the game yet and it is already broken.

Also if they aren’t going to ever let us go to Cantha I really think they should stop with the Asian themed armors. (just get a big eastern vibe from the medium male) No I don’t care that they are releasing in the most grind friendly region of the world soon and want to give those players something they can shoot for that suits their cultural tastes.

Posted by: champ.7021

champ.7021

They probably spent more money on the pr guys who would come up with “reasons” for the ascended armor instead of the designers.

and yes:
Ca$$$$h $$hop Profit$$$ in Tran$$mutation Stone$$
(its really fun to put in $ instead of S)

Posted by: DarksunG.9537

DarksunG.9537

medium looks cool, light & omg.. heavy.. Heavy is the worst in the game. rather wear starter gear,.

Posted by: RainbowSyrup.4130

RainbowSyrup.4130

The heavy and medium sets are pretty terrible, however the light armor looks pretty decent if you dye it black. (sorry for hair clipping)

Attachments:

’’I’m sad hanar can’t wear sweaters’’
-Grunt

Posted by: Dawdler.8521

Dawdler.8521

Great, Anet trolling light users once again.

A flimsy skirt? Seriously… Again?

Just pants or GTFO. Not going to bother with these even if they gave them for free.

Arkham Creed.7358

Just pants or GTFO. Not going to bother with these even if they gave them for free.

Oh please; let’s all be honest here. Sooner or later every single one of us will be going after a set of ascended armor. We’ll just also be stocking up on fine transmutation stones when we do. It is in the nature of the MMO player; sooner or later the addiction to larger numbers wins out. And the only thing that will stop you from getting Ascended armor is legendary armor.

http://youtu.be/lMTahXSEw4w?t=4m29s

(edited by Arkham Creed.7358)

Posted by: medohgeuh.4650

medohgeuh.4650

It is in the nature of the MMO player; sooner or later the addiction to larger numbers wins out.

No addiction here, I can assure you. O_o

(edited by medohgeuh.4650)

Posted by: Have No Faith In Me.1840

Have No Faith In Me.1840

Wasn’t too thrilled on it when i first previewed, after i messed with the dyes a bit it didnt look too bad. Still undecided whether i’ll be transmuting though…

Those screens look awesome.

Posted by: Jabberwock.9014

Jabberwock.9014

Good. Seriously don’t any of you see how horrible it would be to have good looking ascended armor? You would never be able to transmute over it since it is so costly to get the skins back if you change your mind (either un-transmute stone x6 or make a new ascended set).

In my opinion Anet went the right way by making them vanilla and not nullifying all the other awesome skins in this game.

Ugly armor + ca$h $hop stones = profit.

Good looking armor + way more expensive ca$h $hop stones (untransmute) = mega profit

I probably am biased though since I have over 250 normal transmute stones from blcs.

Get stoned whenever you want:
Endless Petrification Tonic

Posted by: Mahaedros.7085

Mahaedros.7085

good luck, have fun and buy gems

The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing – Edmund Burke

Posted by: Krikr.2094

Krikr.2094

Oh please; let’s all be honest here. Sooner or later every single one of us will be going after a set of ascended armor. We’ll just also be stocking up on fine transmutation stones when we do. It is in the nature of the MMO player; sooner or later the addiction to larger numbers wins out. And the only thing that will stop you from getting Ascended armor is legendary armor.

Seriously? When they were first anounced, I thought at first I was actually going to get a set of ascended weapons. Completely changed my mind when I saw how freaking ugly they were. I will absolutely NOT (let me emphasize this) n-o-t, NOT be getting this armor. It’s not worth my time.

Posted by: incognito.4019

incognito.4019

Anet has in the past said they are working on raids.

Ascended armor would give them the opportunity to give players more AR.

Possible outcomes:
Rewarding fractals
AR needed in raids

All the above is speculation except for: anet will release raids*
*everything they say is delayed by 3 years.

champ.7021

Mahaedros i like u, u r too kool for skool

The really sad thing is that ascended weapons / armor have no correlation to fractals. Neither do trinkets besides rings. I mean everything ascended is outside of fractals yet their main purpose beyond just stats is ar and yet i bet most people dont even do fractals regularly that match their ar. Oh well i guess logic confounds the devs.

Arkham Creed.7358

Seriously? When they were first anounced, I thought at first I was actually going to get a set of ascended weapons. Completely changed my mind when I saw how freaking ugly they were. I will absolutely NOT (let me emphasize this) n-o-t, NOT be getting this armor. It’s not worth my time.

The skins may not be, but sooner or later the numbers will be. Sooner still if you like WvW. But hey, that is what the transmutation system is for right? Probably no accident that the “best in slot” gear is also almost universally ugly as sin (I admit I like the ascended pistol).

Posted by: morrolan.9608

morrolan.9608

Bridge the gap shouldn’t mean eats up the mats you were going to use for your legendary…. just sayin’

This is the entire flaw in their warped logic. The whole “bridge the gap” line was something they just fed to us so they wouldn’t have to confess that the whole system is here to get the 10 hours a day players to shut the kitten up about lack of content for a month or two.

Yep, it doesn’t make sense and is contradictory to statements they made in November last year when ascended trinkets were introduced.

Jade Quarry [SoX]
Miranda Zero – Ele / Twitch Zero – Mes / Chargrin Soulboom – Engi
Aliera Zero – Guardian / Reaver Zero – Necro

Mahaedros.7085

I think they think logic confounds their customers… either that or they are intending to drive off any customer who isn’t a gambling addict over the age of 14.

I’m all about having fun- good luck and have fun!

The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing – Edmund Burke

Posted by: Shanna.4762

Shanna.4762

I wouldn’t have a problem with ascended armor if i didn’t have to freaking CRAFT to get it. I do NOT WANT TO CRAFT, I hate crafting in any MMO ever especially this one. They’re gating stuff to force you to do something you don’t want to do to remain competitive. If there’s no alternative way of attaining ascended gear once ascended armor is in, I’m done with this game for good. I’ve been here since day one, and this is it for me. I will not be forced to do stuff I absolutely loathe.

Posted by: Have No Faith In Me.1840

Have No Faith In Me.1840

Ok the armour skins are not bad….. seriously relax. They’re better than the weapons.

Muck around with the dyes you can produce some epic results.

Posted by: Shanna.4762

Shanna.4762

Don’t force people to craft for it. Nobody likes the stupid craft system in this game.

Posted by: Karalaza.6021

Karalaza.6021

It’s all a set up you see…
I think we all know what the upcoming gem item might be:

UNLIMITED TRANSMUTATION CRYSTAL- for all your transmuting needs – for only 3000 gems

edit: forgot to add the sarcasm tags <_<

(edited by Karalaza.6021)

Posted by: Leo Paul.1659

Leo Paul.1659

I really dislike them.. ugh.. I hope they make them so easy to get as compensation for their ugliness,

Queen Of The Moors (Blackgate)
Deaths Fear [Fear] / The Hardcore Caravan [HC]
Forum Warrior: Black Belt in Ninja Edits

Posted by: Paulytnz.7619

Paulytnz.7619

It’s all a set up you see…
I think we all know what the upcoming gem item might be:

UNLIMITED TRANSMUTATION CRYSTAL- for all your transmuting needs – for only 3000 gems

This will never happen, it would lose them too much money in the long run. Sure it might give them a quick boost initially but in the long run they are better off with the current stones.

Actually they might do this for the stones (lvl 79 gears and lower) but they def wont for lvl 80 gears.

Since when did this business of being a hero become being a business?

Posted by: Nuka Cola.8520

Nuka Cola.8520

Armor design was probably done by the same people who’ve made voice acting in this game. Its ridiculously bad.

Fact: every Thief tells you to “l2p” when the subject is to nerf stealth.

Posted by: CreativeAnarchy.6324

CreativeAnarchy.6324

I like some of them.

I like some of the ascended weapons also.

Not like you can’t change the skin if you don’t like them.

I speak for my self and no one else. Only fools believe they speak for a majority.

Posted by: Adine.2184

Adine.2184

Oh yes you will . It’l be like FoW in Guild Wars 1

champ.7021

I wouldn’t have a problem with ascended armor if i didn’t have to freaking CRAFT to get it. I do NOT WANT TO CRAFT, I hate crafting in any MMO ever especially this one. They’re gating stuff to force you to do something you don’t want to do to remain competitive. If there’s no alternative way of attaining ascended gear once ascended armor is in, I’m done with this game for good. I’ve been here since day one, and this is it for me. I will not be forced to do stuff I absolutely loathe.

pretty much sums up my feelings. I said during the release of ascended weapons that it was bad but was going to get worse and that we have to stop anet from releasing new ascended stuff. This is a game breaker because for someone who wants to get the most out of their build and remain competitive to others and not fall behind they have to ascend. yet for most people its a very difficult task and only those with hours and hours to play can really get all there alts geared. I havent even crafted an ascended weapon because the skins are such kitten and ive been working towards other weapons for a while now.

Posted by: havellian.4073

havellian.4073

And in today’s example of shoddy and lazy design; the heavy human male helmet clips with the chest plate. Armor isn’t even in the game yet and it is already broken.

Also if they aren’t going to ever let us go to Cantha I really think they should stop with the Asian themed armors. (just get a big eastern vibe from the medium male) No I don’t care that they are releasing in the most grind friendly region of the world soon and want to give those players something they can shoot for that suits their cultural tastes.

The armors are horrendous its true, but what does that have to do with Asians?
If you genuinely think they look “eastern” you really need to get out more and learn more about the world. That is all.

Posted by: havellian.4073

havellian.4073

Calling these sets ugly is an understatement. Can’t complain though since it makes me care about ascended gear even less ;P

Posted by: Evans.6347

Evans.6347

It’s not bad-bad, it’s just that they try to be too frivolous. All those knicks and knacks are supposedly giving it the ‘ascended’ vibe, but it’s just too much. Especially the heavy armor.

Joy to the world, ignorance is bliss

Posted by: Bearlin.7238

Bearlin.7238

Loving every minute ’cause you make me feel so alive, alive~

Omg. Why can’t they made a light armor version of that helm?! Then I can make http://www.freewebs.com/final-fantasy8/edea%20podium.jpg

Posted by: ezd.6359

ezd.6359

Male light armor is just… facepalm.jpg

If you want us look like clowns, do it right at least.
https://www.google.com/search?q=jester

And medium armor looks like it is made from cloth triple facepalm.jpg

English is not my native language, sorry :<

(edited by ezd.6359)

Posted by: sigmataun.4103

sigmataun.4103

If you don’t like it then don’t craft it. Period. It’s not that hard. Some people like it and some don’t. You don’t have to have it. that goes for all petty gripes. Mystic Forge, Gem Store, Tequatl, Living Story, Dungeons…
Just do something else and enjoy yourself and the non-subscription based game. If you can’t do that then play a different game and stop ruining every new change by throwing in your negative 2 cents.

Posted by: BlueZone.4236

BlueZone.4236

now ascended weapons were created (based off of anet’s logic) to bridge the gap between exotics and legendary.

Bridge what gap? Legendary weapons were exotics and no better than other exotic weapons. They only got made ascended when ascended weapons were introduced.

The point of ascended gear, of any type, is to add a new gear/power goal for people. Just like in every other MMO every made.

The gap between how long it takes a player to get an exotic set versus how long it takes a player to get a legendary is huge. The fact that the stats were the same is exactly why many players did not have any incentive to grind for a legendary.
Ascended gear is meant to ease the majority of players into the grinding mindset, with extra stats as a good incentive to grind.

Also, it is easier to develop filler “content” that takes up some long arbitrary amount of hours versus new fun content that takes the same amount of hours.

Mahaedros.7085

If i want to change builds or if a new patch comes along and I change my build to take advantage of the current state of the game do I then need to accumulate the resources to craft a new ascended weapon to match my new build? or can they be changed or made account bound?

What do I do with the old ascended weapons? buy new bank space?

Posted by: Nuka Cola.8520

Nuka Cola.8520

some1 start a petition to rework this ugly creature from ground up! I want pants for light armor, been waiting for ONE YEAR and nothing, not a single good looking set. This armor is so disappointing its not even funny…

Fact: every Thief tells you to “l2p” when the subject is to nerf stealth.

champ.7021

If you don’t like it then don’t craft it. Period. It’s not that hard. Some people like it and some don’t. You don’t have to have it. that goes for all petty gripes. Mystic Forge, Gem Store, Tequatl, Living Story, Dungeons…
Just do something else and enjoy yourself and the non-subscription based game. If you can’t do that then play a different game and stop ruining every new change by throwing in your negative 2 cents.

Yes kitten those who have a conflicting opinons. You do realize however that bis gear is quite important to fractals which i really like to do. With this new addition higher fractals will be open and you will have to have these new ascended stuff to attempt it. Also after armor is released i can imagine groups wanting people to have bis gear.

also i dont like bringing this up but because you said go play a different game, why is it that someone like me who bought gw2 because they liked gw1 and also because they heard promises of no grind should go and kitten off, while those who came to gw2 and were complaining about not having enough to do (no grind to do) are able to stay because anet wants to now do a 180 and pander to them.