Thou Shalt be Broke

Thou Shalt be Broke

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Ulysses.4765

Ulysses.4765

The rewards that I’m receiving from events, enemies, tasks, etc. aren’t up to par with gold sinks such as the heavy teleporting prices and armor repairs. I’ve been noticing that it’s sucking me dry.

I think that teleporting prices in areas that have been completed should be discounted, if not eliminated entirely. Same for armor repairs, although it’s not as expensive as teleporting as it’s not used as often.

What do y’all think?

(edited by Ulysses.4765)

Thou Shalt be Broke

Posted by: Toxica.6749

Toxica.6749

The excessive goldsinks are a niave attempt by NCSoft to strongarm players toward converting real money to game gold.

I say niave as it seems to be more effective at pushing people off the game altogether.

Thou Shalt be Broke

Posted by: Grundle.7302

Grundle.7302

It’s silly really, they guy with 800 gold or whatever (the ones that need the big sinks) aren’t really effected at all by a few silver here or there, But the “lesser” player, with a couple gold to his name is the one to calculate these to losses.

Lose the nickel and dime ing, add some sinks that will actually make a difference in gold flow. Example? Guild dues, and taxes, keeps hoppers from hopping, adds a loyalty base(some BIG ones could be used for halls whenever they come around).

That’s what my tiny split pea brain is telling me anyways =D

Sounds like a great way to kill an already fledgling guild system. We can ask players to pay to receive no benefits!

They have STRONGLY increased the cashflow to the players every month since release. This was a viable concern when people couldn’t afford trait books. Right around now you should be able to muster up enough gold to get to your DE chains.

If you can’t afford it you need to die less and focus on where you are WPing more. (ie: don’t use WPs all the time, use gates and walk around)

Thou Shalt be Broke

Posted by: Jrunyon.3012

Jrunyon.3012

It’s silly really, they guy with 800 gold or whatever (the ones that need the big sinks) aren’t really effected at all by a few silver here or there, But the “lesser” player, with a couple gold to his name is the one to calculate these to losses.

So you’re saying that the more money I have, the more I don’t mind seeing a few losses? Wow, that sounds exactly as it should. I don’t see how that’s silly.

OP, I guess I can’t really relate because I don’t really have this problem, but I recommend not waypointing as much, The game world really is beautiful if you take the time to walk.

Nesmee – Thief
[OHai] – Northern Shiverpeaks

Thou Shalt be Broke

Posted by: Skribbl.7684

Skribbl.7684

:D I walk. Encounter events. Get money. Have fun.

Journey. Not destination~
This game will still be here tomorrow. Don’t need to get everything yesterday.

Ralek Manatech – Engineer
Kaithlynia – Mesmer
Fort Aspenwood

(edited by Skribbl.7684)

Thou Shalt be Broke

Posted by: Firegoth.6427

Firegoth.6427

Mithril node = 1 nearby teleport
2 Mithril nodes = 1 very far teleport

1+1 = potato

Thou Shalt be Broke

Posted by: Happyfool.8951

Happyfool.8951

By using waypoints, you are skipping possible events that you may have encountered if you walked.

We all do as we must to make our way in this world and unfortunately,
we have to do things others may qualify as “evil”.
~Krunch Bloodrage, Looking For Group

Thou Shalt be Broke

Posted by: UnderdogSMO.9428

UnderdogSMO.9428

So you’re saying that the more money I have, the more I don’t mind seeing a few losses? Wow, that sounds exactly as it should. I don’t see how that’s silly.

OP, I guess I can’t really relate because I don’t really have this problem, but I recommend not waypointing as much, The game world really is beautiful if you take the time to walk.

. You also level faster and get to see DEs you might have missed (also makeing more cash)

Thou Shalt be Broke

Posted by: tigirius.9014

tigirius.9014

they could easily fix this if they made it so that the only cost for teleporting was outside the zone you are already in.

Balance Team: Please Fix Mine Toolbelt Positioning!

Thou Shalt be Broke

Posted by: Chase.8415

Chase.8415

I play less than 20 hours a week

I make roughly 3-4 gold a day running FOTM 15+

No complaints here, there’s nothing hardcore about me.

You can make the same amount of gold doing world completion, dungeons..

If you’re worried about repair bills then you should simply die less.

they could easily fix this if they made it so that the only cost for teleporting was outside the zone you are already in.

Or like I said, you can die less and preserve your gold more efficiently. A lot of activities in this game award 1-2 gold an hour.

Thou Shalt be Broke

Posted by: Frellin.6318

Frellin.6318

Port to the mists and take the Asura portal to Lion’s Arch. Completely free. Which also means it is kind of stupid that it costs silver to port to Lion’s Arch.

Now, when you leave Lion’s Arch try to do stuff that will make up the cost of one waypoint. That should be easy.

You can save even more by jumping from Lion’s Arch to other major cities before you waypoint. If you need to go far east you can always go to Divinity’s Reach and take the Asura gate to Ebonhawke.

It is tedius. Hopefully, one day porting back to the major cities will be free. Anyone not wanting to go broke using waypoints should already be running through the mists.

Thou Shalt be Broke

Posted by: NetherDiver.6079

NetherDiver.6079

Make sure you kill a lot of things when you do events so you get blue and green drops. Selling those add up in silver. Running dungeons make you gold much faster if you’re efficient, which is a shame really. I’d love to run more world events, but they’re not nearly as profitable as dungeons.

Thou Shalt be Broke

Posted by: Rustypipes.6238

Rustypipes.6238

I don’t seem to be having any problems with making money.

Granted I do not have a ton of gold but I have made enough to buy 2 character slots and a bank slot with gems, that I bought with gold, exotic level 80 gear on 3 characters with runes and upgrade any missing pieces every 10 levels on my characters I am leveling currently -and- I don’t mind way point traveling to get map completes, join in announced events or just go back to DV to empty bags etc.

Oh, and I have never stepped foot in a dungeon.

So the issue is not the game or the ability to make gold in it.

Thou Shalt be Broke

tigirius.9014

Or like I said, you can die less and preserve your gold more efficiently. A lot of activities in this game award 1-2 gold an hour.

Die less is not an option as an engineer unless you are all shields all the time in which case each fight with a normal mob lasts days. (i do not wish to return to the days of healy priests in vanilla wow or early loremasters in lotro thanks, combat should not be nerfed like that)

Thou Shalt be Broke

Posted by: PowerCat.5738

PowerCat.5738

The excessive goldsinks are a niave attempt by NCSoft to strongarm players toward converting real money to game gold.

I say niave as it seems to be more effective at pushing people off the game altogether.

Spot on.

Now go buy some gems if you wanna keep playing.

Thou Shalt be Broke

Posted by: Ulysses.4765

Ulysses.4765

Some good points have been made. I will start traversing through the mists to save some coin.

I mainly believe, though, that mid-levels really have the downturn in this situation,\. They don’t have access to extreme profits, while at the same time their routine costs are noticeably high.

Either way, I will start walking more and taking advantage of outside methods to save some money. Thanks for the tips.

Thou Shalt be Broke

Posted by: Skribbl.7684

Skribbl.7684

Die less is not an option as an engineer unless you are all shields all the time in which case each fight with a normal mob lasts days. (i do not wish to return to the days of healy priests in vanilla wow or early loremasters in lotro thanks, combat should not be nerfed like that)

Funny, I’m managing perfectly fine with my second engineer now. Running as crit rifle.

Ralek Manatech – Engineer
Kaithlynia – Mesmer
Fort Aspenwood

Thou Shalt be Broke

Posted by: Wasabi Kitty.8247

Wasabi Kitty.8247

You can’t be serious.

How much are you dying? How often are you using waypoints?

All you have to do is not waypoint everywhere and die constantly and you’ll get plenty of coins. And it’s hard on mid levels?

When I was 50/60 I kept getting more gold than I knew what to do with. I had a full set of rares for level 80 by the time I was 70. I usually had at least 10 gold on me.

Anet make Rev great again.

Thou Shalt be Broke

Posted by: Erasculio.2914

Erasculio.2914

Those conspiracy theories are incredibly silly. If ArenaNet really were doing everything they could to make people use the in-game store, there are many other things they would have done. They would:

• Not give items from the in-game store for free as in-game rewards. Having transformation stones available in the world as rewards from different sources removes one reason players would have to buy gems.
  • Not have the “Deposit collectibles” feature in inventory. This would make players need more inventory space and thus make more players buy bag slots.
  • Not have added the ability of using crafting stations as banks, or of crafting directly with items stored in the bank. This made people less willing to buy the items that allow players to access the bank from anywhere.
  • Not have added the new collectible tab in the bank, basically giving people more free storage, since this (rather obviously) makes people less likely to buy more bank space.
  • Not make people capable of buying gems with gold.

And so on, and so on. IMO, it’s naive to assume that there’s an evil conspiracy to make the poor players waste their money with gems in order to play the game.

There are no “excessive” gold sinks. I would remove the cost of changing traits simply because I think that’s the kind of feature players should be incentived to use, not restricted, but the simple way to avoid repair fees is to not die. Considering how often people say that GW2 is easy, not dying shouldn’t be a challenge.

“I think that players are starting to mature past the point of wanting to be on that
treadmill, of being in that obvious pattern of every time I catch up you are going to
put another carrot in front of me” – Mike O’Brien right before Ascended weapons

Thou Shalt be Broke

Posted by: Ursan.7846

Ursan.7846

Great post Erasculio, I wish I can link people to your post everytime someone brings up the “Anet wants us to buy Gems” conspiracy…

I don’t know how you play and what kind of modes you play, but die less is definitely an option for an Engy without a shield. Just from your post, I feel like you should really learn about the dodging mechanics and positioning yourself to avoid damage. Engi is mostly ranged anyways, so it’s even easier to survive.

Thou Shalt be Broke

Toxica.6749

@Erasculio
I encourage you to research NCSoft’s stock performance over this past year.

Pay attention to just how much money they lost and blade and soul, and point out where they will make up the shortfall other than in their one showcase product. Look carefully at just how much the other titles they own earn. It’s not a conspiracy to understand that shareholders expect quarterly returns on their investment.

Thou Shalt be Broke

Erasculio.2914

@Erasculio
I encourage you to research NCSoft’s stock performance over this past year.

Non sequitur. The fact stands that, if ArenaNet were really interested in milking people for all they’re worth through the gem store, they would not have added all the features listed in my previous post.

And do you know why they did add those features, instead of trying to make people pay for them? Here’s a hint: because that kind of behavior…

(…) seems to be more effective at pushing people off the game altogether.

Now, I’m waiting for your explanation as to how giving everyone more free storage last month fits your “it’s all a big conspiracy” theory.

“I think that players are starting to mature past the point of wanting to be on that
treadmill, of being in that obvious pattern of every time I catch up you are going to

Thou Shalt be Broke

Posted by: Wasabi Kitty.8247

Wasabi Kitty.8247

Obviously it’s all about getting them addicted to having bank space, so they’ll want even more.

Anet make Rev great again.

Thou Shalt be Broke

Posted by: Magic Monkey.8930

Magic Monkey.8930

Non sequitur. The fact stands that, if ArenaNet were really interested in milking people for all they’re worth through the gem store, they would not have added all the features listed in my previous post.

Lolwut? How does adding/rearranging some bank space change the fact that NCSoft’s only way of making any money on this game from existing players is via the in-game store?

Now, I’m waiting for your explanation as to how giving everyone more free storage last month fits your “it’s all a big conspiracy” theory.

You’re the only one talking about conspiracies, pal. Seems to me the person you’re quoting is talking about NCSoft standard business practice, not a conspiracy. Or do you not get that business of a game is to make money?

Thou Shalt be Broke

Erasculio.2914

Seems to me the person you’re quoting is talking about NCSoft standard business practice, not a conspiracy.

You are seeing wrong, then. The person I’m quoting was talking about how NCSoft would be trying to force players to buy gems with real money by artificially creating inconveniences to be fixed through bought-only conveniences. The same person states how this is a failed approach, as it would only drive people away from the game.

My following posts proved that poster wrong: not only ArenaNet has not added artificial inconveniences that would require money to be solved, but they have also been adding more conveniences in the game for free. And the reason is clear: just as the poster I was quoting claimed that artificially adding inconvenience to sell convenience would drive people away from the game, adding free convenience is a good way to create good will for players so they would be more willing to spend money in the game.

It’s simple. It’s not as simple as the extremely naive “NCSoft is a bunch of evil greedy businessmen!!!!!” line of thought, though.

Thou Shalt be Broke

Toxica.6749

“by artificially creating inconveniences to be fixed through bought-only conveniences”

You do realize that people can read all the creative embellishments that you’ve added on my behalf to what I ‘actually’ stated.

Infact most of what you put forward is to argue against a point that seems to exist only in your mind.

Thou Shalt be Broke

Posted by: Magic Monkey.8930

Magic Monkey.8930

It’s simple. It’s not as simple as the extremely naive “NCSoft is a bunch of evil greedy businessmen!!!!!” line of thought, though.

And what you’re ignoring is that all inconveniences can be eradicated by buying in-game gold. Especially things like nerfed drop rates. The person you’re quoting said NOTHING about in-game shop ITEM purchases, just purchasing gold. You made the rest up on your own.

Straw man conquered! Well done.

Thou Shalt be Broke

Erasculio.2914

And what you’re ignoring is that all inconveniences can be eradicated by buying in-game gold. Especially things like nerfed drop rates.

Not really.

Using the “nerfed drop rates” as an example: the DR system is actually great for the game. Nerfing grinding so it’s not rewarding is one of the best things ArenaNet has done for GW2.

Now, there is a silly conspiracy theory that the point of the low drop rates isn’t to actually help the game (despite how much it helps the game), but rather to force people to buy gold with real money. And the failure in this argument is – low drop rates prevent people from buying gems as well. Right now, to buy Mjolnir using gems, someone would need more or less US$1.500,00. Needless to say, considerably less people are going to be willing to pay that much for a skin than if the same skin cost US$30,00. Ergo, the idea that the so-called “nerfed drop rate” is there so people would buy gold with gems is ridiculous, and will continue to be ridiculous unless there were a significant advantage to buying those items with gems (for example, if the Mjolnir skin were available in the gem store for US$30,00).

Ultimately, the idea that NCSoft is trying to artificially create inconveniences to sell convenience – be it through the waypoint costs, repair costs or the DR system – is a failure. I guess it’s easier to assume things like that than to understand the impact waypoint costs, repair costs and the DR system have in the game, though.

Thou Shalt be Broke

Posted by: Keiran.1896

Keiran.1896

Those conspiracy theories are incredibly silly. If ArenaNet really were doing everything they could to make people use the in-game store, there are many other things they would have done. They would:

• Not give items from the in-game store for free as in-game rewards. Having transformation stones available in the world as rewards from different sources removes one reason players would have to buy gems.
  • Not have the “Deposit collectibles” feature in inventory. This would make players need more inventory space and thus make more players buy bag slots.
  • Not have added the ability of using crafting stations as banks, or of crafting directly with items stored in the bank. This made people less willing to buy the items that allow players to access the bank from anywhere.
  • Not have added the new collectible tab in the bank, basically giving people more free storage, since this (rather obviously) makes people less likely to buy more bank space.
  • Not make people capable of buying gems with gold.

And so on, and so on. IMO, it’s naive to assume that there’s an evil conspiracy to make the poor players waste their money with gems in order to play the game.

There are no “excessive” gold sinks. I would remove the cost of changing traits simply because I think that’s the kind of feature players should be incentived to use, not restricted, but the simple way to avoid repair fees is to not die. Considering how often people say that GW2 is easy, not dying shouldn’t be a challenge.

Is it a F2P game?

Thou Shalt be Broke

Posted by: Cushnahan.7058

Cushnahan.7058

I agree gold needs to be fixed. Especially at lower levels.

At 30 something I already paid 2,4s for waypointing. Not to mention 1,3s each WP on the same map. As I do loads of events I jump between waypoints a lot.

As an example:
On low lvls I mainly to Foothills because of:
Taigan WP: 3 events right beside each other, short walk to a 4th
Then all WPs surrounding the maw: About 5-10 events if you count maw, wurms and grawl events
WPs close to SoS lair: There’s 2 escort, 1 resulting in about 3 follow up quests
All the fort WPs: 2 champs running about there, sometimes fort occupations, veterans, more.

In the Foothills it is very beneficial to port around a lot. You get from A-B very quickly and can do multiple events in an hour or two. I also jump between Foothills and some in the surrounding maps, because I know some good events there too. I really think those high costs are really inappropriate.

Thou Shalt be Broke

Posted by: lisamee.2408

lisamee.2408

The only item in the game that requires an excessive about of gold and or time, is the legendary weapon.

I think we need more items/treasures introduced into the game for those players who think the journey to getting their legendary is not fun.

Thou Shalt be Broke

Posted by: maddoctor.2738

maddoctor.2738

The rewards that I’m receiving from events, enemies, tasks, etc. aren’t up to par with gold sinks such as the heavy teleporting prices and armor repairs. I’ve been noticing that it’s sucking me dry.

I think that teleporting prices in areas that have been completed should be discounted, if not eliminated entirely. Same for armor repairs, although it’s not as expensive as teleporting as it’s not used as often.

What do y’all think?

I think goldsinks are very cheap in this game.

1) For repairs: don’t die that often… Adapt to the playstyle required by the game, learn/try new builds etc. Be creative and don’t just spam 1, learn how to dodge and how to play properly your profession and you shouldn’t die so often that gold sinks affect you.
2) For teleports: stop teleporting all the time. Learn the “shortcuts”, Heart of the Mists → Lion’s Arch for free, then from there port to any of the starter towns for free, there your costs will drop. Also, don’t teleport within the same zone, walk there, you will find events on the way, participate in them, that’s how the game will feel alive, and it is way more fun than teleporting to the nearest event all the time.

There, solutions to both problems and no gem purchase is needed.

Thou Shalt be Broke

tigirius.9014

Funny, I’m managing perfectly fine with my second engineer now. Running as crit rifle.

Funny WvW i’m sure.

Things that should be taken off gold:

Runes of holding
racial gear

it’s just weird these things need gold.

Thou Shalt be Broke

Posted by: Ranlea.8270

Ranlea.8270

What do y’all think?

Well the OP makes a genuine point but with a little bit of planning virtual life can be made easier.

1) As others have said……..transport costs can be reduced by always using the free gates to the nearest capital city, before teleporting to your desired location

2) Unlike some games, professions can be genuinely worth levelling here for the ongoing and top end made goods. But costs can be reduced by only levelling one profession at a time

3) Top end gear stats can be handy, but (a personal opinion) skill based playing, which includes adding the stats best for you, make a bigger difference.

4) Inflation…….out of control inflation would kill this game for new players and casual’s. GW2 game designers have to have means of controlling it.

5) Subscriptions…….there are none here as we all know……….a subscription based game such as WoW, Eve Online, or Rift typically cost around £8 sterling per month (discounted for a year’s sub in advance). this fact make me tolerant towards dropping £30 to £40 or so every year in gem purchasing IF it is justified…….and there are in game alternatives available for those players not wishing to spend ongoing real life money.

Just some personal thoughts from me………oh happy new year everyone -:)

Thou Shalt be Broke

Posted by: Danikat.8537

Danikat.8537

I’ve played games with negligible gold sinks and trust me, sooner or later it’s not fun for anyone. You have to spend all your time farming in order to buy anything.

Personally I think the waypoint system works well. I rarely use them because unless you’re going a very long way running there with a speed boost is fairly quick. If I do use them I usually either stick around the end destination after doing whatever I came for, or walk back and always manage to make back the cost of the waypoint fairly quickly.

It also has the benefit of encouraging people to do just that, and therefore get more involved in what’s going on in a zone instead of teleporting in, doing what they came for and teleporting out again without even looking at what else is happening around them.

Danielle Aurorel, Dear Dragon We Got Your Cookies [Nom], Desolation (EU).

“Life’s a journey, not a destination.”