Thoughts about GW2 (nearly) 100 days later...

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: NemesisT.4809

NemesisT.4809

(if there’s allready a topic with the same content, please move the post – wasn’t able to find it)

First I want to apologize if there are any grammar mistakes or misspelled words, because english isn’t my native language.

But, there are quite a few reasons, that make me believe, my thoughts have a better chance to be seen here, than in my “own” forum.

First things first: My GW2 journey started quite a while ago. I think the first announcement, that there will be a GW2 was 2007 (but I’m actually not sure anymore – let’s say a long time ago). Over the last years I heard a lot and I consumed every piece about GW2 I was able to find. I believe, I saw every interview, preview, press-beta-test etc. I could find on youtube. I fell more and more in love with the game, but I still listened carefully to every word the developers said, because I knew/know that talking is easy, doing not. But still, I preordered it at the same day it could be preordered on amazon (january 2012) and changed it immediately into a prepurchase version. I believed what the developers said (that it was a great game), because they had so much excitement in their voices, when they talked about their game. So I thought: “here take my money Arenanet, I believe in what you doing”

NemesisT.4809

And I still believed it in bwe 1-3. Now are nearly 100 days gone, since the game had his headstart and my thoughts about the game changed significant.

1. Customer Support:
It felt like every small, even in the none-english forums, suggestion i.e. preview function (only four, five posts in our forum) had been seen and (that might sound weird) used to make the game better. This changed in my opinion dramatically. In the case of my forum especially there had to be nearly (more or less it was) a s…storm, because quite a lot of people shared the same opinion: “A-Net isn’t interested in us and our opinion anymore”. Seriously what should anyone think, other than this, if there had been (on the deepest point) 8 posts from any official Arenanet employee for the whole week. It’s getting better, but it’s still far from good.

I didn’t write anything anymore in the forum, because normally I write a lot (because just writting: “everything is kitten” brings nothing in my opinion) and I don’t wanna waste my time writing criticisms about different parts of the game (always with the purpose to make the game better), that they could be deleted, with flimsy reasons
i.e. I wrote a while ago a cynical tale about the whole bot problem. It was inspired by something that happend in our guild and what I saw every day in frostgorge sound. It wasn’t nice, it maybe hurt, but it was true and it was written in a way that in my opinion maybe had better chances to be seen than a normal post. I became a lot of positive feedback and I suggest this was the problem. My post got deleted, because I attached a screenshot to it. It was my mistake, I didn’t know that bots, with such beautiful names, slip under the “no name calling agenda”.

Ok there is a “edit” button in the forum and even if it had been to much efford for the people we pay to edit it themselves (just took the screen out), I had gladly deleted it myself if I could. But no, better delete the whole post, that took me only quite a while to create. As I asked why I hadn’t the opportunity to edit it, because it wasn’t never on purpose that I broke this “rule”, I got defamed (from our community manager), that my only goal was to save my missdeed with the rule-conform part. In this moment I was nearly on the point to write: “What do you thinking? I pay for you! A part of my money goes in your car, your appartment, your food. And for sure, your not in the position to talk to me like this!” But I am a adult and I know the consequences of such a post in our forum. People got a ban for less. On some points it was like a sellout: “Oh you annoying me, here a 72h ban! What you point with the finger on other people, because they post racial and homophob posts, and after three days we haven’t delete this post, here a 72h ban for free! And hey as an bonus this persons post still exists and he doesn’t get a ban!” On this point I thought: “No sorry, I don’t want talk with you anymore Mr. Community Manager, because you have no clue what you doing and for sure you haven’t ever worked with customers on a professional level in your life!” So I tried it with two different emails – one to forums@.. and one to community@.. – every time explaining and explaining the whole situation in our forum etc., always hoping that somebody would notice it. This was over a month ago, I didn’t get any answer. Not even a “thank you for your email”.(And I’m not the only one, who did this and never got an answer)

Therefore my thoughts to community managment (especially non-english): ??? I saw a lot of bad support (I worked a long time in customer support), community managment (however you wanna call it), but this must be the brand-new costumer support from hell! And finally my new dearest justification for editing a post: “edited, because of criticising the moderator”
Your reward Arenanet, from me for you for this glorious accomplishment: —-> <——

NemesisT.4809

2. Items:
In this section I might make the one or another quote from a dev, I heard over the years. The qoutes are maybe not the exact words they used, but for sure the exact meaning (because I have a good memory, but I can’t memorize every word exactly).

Thanks for the wardrobe in sPvP and bwe I was able to see quite a lot of the equipment before start of the game and (that might sound weird as well) my focus is still on “how I look, not how good the stats are”. So, I was aware, that there aren’t many, let’s say dresses, that I like in the game. Ok! That’s my own problem. Don’t blame Arenanet for this situation. But I found something and don’t get me wrong the dungeons are nice designed. Twilight Arbor was the dungeon of my choice. And as an elementalist TA wasn’t ever anywhere near something like fun (I hate you still little blossoms), but grinding through this dungeon on the 30st time (anytime I stoped counting) only to get this set for myself and some guild members, who weren’t that lucky to get a full reward – never got the missing tokens back btw. – I started to think about this sentence – quote: “we don’t make a grindy game” unquote… But 25h of stupid mobkilling later for a semi-good-looking staff, – with full magic find equip and the support of my whole guild – I came to a conclusion: “Yes Arenanet, whatever!”

Ok it’s seems impossible to make a MMO without grinding, or the nicer term “farming”. I can live with that.

Then came this – let’s call it – interesting update with the karka (I still don’t know what and why and whatever). There had been rumors about new items. I in my naivety I thought: “Yeah.. new cloth. I need a new pair of shoes. And so fast after release! I need an Arenanet employee, I wanna kiss him. dance” And then came reality: “Oh they only add backs and rings. Ok sadface” – A little bit later: “What they are better than exotic?? turned into a living question mark” At this point, I wanna quote a dev (I believe it was a press beta vid from yogscast, but I’m not sure anymore): “it’s all about style.. you shouldn’t rely on dropluck”. Now I’m a bit confused. If I’m informed right, the new stuff isn’t except for the semi-nice-looking-back, even visible and the only purpose to get these new items is, not because of their style, but rather because of their stats and they (except the back) drop. But maybe that’s only for me a little bit weird.

Therefore my thoughts to items:
I can’t understand this 180° change Arenanet. You told your community over years: “It’s all about style” and a few weeks after release you claim you never said anything like this. Ok maybe quite a lot – me including – understood you wrong, but seriously I don’t believe I understood one of the major points, therefore I gave you my money month before even a release date was confirmed, wrong. For this bad “information transfer” another: —-> <—- for you from me

3. Item-Shop:
I love the shop, it gives me the opportunity to support Arenanet, without beeing forced to do this with a subscription fee. Hm no I would love it, if I was able to buy gems. I find it a little bit sad, that there aren’t many methods for payment. I’m not a fan of paypal and (sorry I don’t live in America, where everyone has a credit card) I don’t have a credit card. So I’m forced to change my ingame gold into gems or ask my best friend to get her payment data (paysafe-cards as an option would be lovely), when I want to buy anything. But seriously there’s not a lot I even want to buy. I hoped for a nice dress, like those who the noble women in DR wearing, as town clothing, or a dwayna dress, but nope the community needs more silly hats or a green-colors-pack.

Therefore my thoughts to the item-shop:
A very good idea, but I think it would be better if you:
1. more payment methods involve
2. bring stuff into it, that people really want: i.e. more and better skins for equipment, real town-cloth, color packs for grey hue (white, black are the most popular colors)
3. no more lying about black lion chests and their “certain” chance to get a new and incredible skin (Halloween) – You maybe sold a lot of keys at this event, but do you really think anyone would believe you again? I’m so happy I don’t fell for this marketing lie.

NemesisT.4809

4. Different stuff:
I don’t wanna say everything is bad and Arenanet doing everything wrong. I love the world, I love the quaggan, I love the colors (but what the h.. happened with the unidentified color droprate?), I love the events, I love the dungeons, I just love this game, but it annoys me and some points make me only sad.

Major cities: Without LA the major cities had been a place where you met. It’s really, really sad, that everything is concentrating to LA. Why is every event in LA? I love especially DR. It’s the most beautiful city in an MMO I ever seen. The love for the little details is amazing and as a saw it the first time I was mesmerized. But nowadays there aren’t any players. Why should there? The new dungeon is in LA. If you wanna do other stuff: go to LA, cause there are the shortest ways and better mention it twice, there is the new dungeon.

World completion: I am an explorer. I love to walk through the world without knowing where I exactly go. And so I was really exicted as I saw there’s an achievement for exploring the world and also a title for doing this (I don’t get it: What does a title bring, if you only can see it, when you click on a player? – but’s another little issue). Normally this had been the first goal for me to get a 100% map completion, but not in GW2. I don’t like WvW. Mostly because of two reasons: a) my game gets really laggy, if there are to many players – b) I kinda miss the aspect of fun in running 10min. along a road for a vista only to be killed by two thief, who love to camp infront of this vista.
And sorry Arenanet: I don’t get it either, what exactly is the difference between WvW and sPvP Maps? As far as I know their both a part of the mists, not Tyria directly. So why the h.. am I forced to steal a WvW player his place to run around for map completion?

That are some little things more that just annoy me, but nobody is perfect, not even a game.

Final thoughts:
I’m to attached to this game, to take the same road as many of the people I brought to GW2. Otherwise I would play another game, where I can collect mounts. But nearly 100 days (or as my best friend and I called it: Happy GW2 day – We really didn’t said good morning on the headstart-day, we wished a “Happy GW2 day”) after the headstart I’m disillusioned. I trusted Arenanet with this game and they built a great and beautiful game, but I see it turn more and more into the same ol’ thing, the same boring, grindy MMO as all others on the market.
When somebody asked me, before Halloween, why I play this game, my answer was:
“Because it’s fun. I love this game. There’s no running for better items, the people are very nice and we do a lot of things together and just having fun.”
Nowadays: “I’m bored. There are no new episodes (tv-shows) online and I can’t afford to buy Assassins Creed III this month. But there’s no one online from my guild, I think I go offline too. I don’t wanna go fractals again, I don’t wanna run this dungeon again and again only for better stats.”

PS: Please don’t write anything like: Why are you whining? Stop playing!
I know that I could do this, but I think a forum is for thoughts and this are my thoughts. There aren’t happy, there aren’t positive, but I hope they maybe been read by anyone who could think about, what I wrote and if it’s somebody who could change anything they maybe change anything or if it’s a normal customer, he/she maybe share his thoughts as well.
——

How are your thoughts nearly 100 days after headstart? Do you have the same experience? Are you disillusioned as well (from the game, Arenanet)? Or I’m to harsh with my criticsm?

Posted by: Zeppelin.6832

Zeppelin.6832

Everything was awesome until Fractals. RNG gating mechanics for progression are not fun.

Posted by: JumblyJebus.5903

JumblyJebus.5903

I love it. From Fractals to WvW to sPvP to World Events to PvE.

Best MMO anyone can imagine and hardly anyone on these forums can recognize that.

Posted by: illgot.1056

illgot.1056

Fractals has pretty much killed the game for me. I hate repeating dungeons or dynamic events constantly… which probably means GW2 is just not for me.

JumblyJebus.5903

Fractals has pretty much killed the game for me. I hate repeating dungeons or dynamic events constantly… which probably means GW2 is just not for me.

Any MMO for that matter.

Posted by: Keldrath.4735

Keldrath.4735

Any MMO for that matter.

That’s the point though. This game was said to be different than other MMO’s that was the big thing Anet had going for it, that they were going to do things different. And now, with things like Fractals, and vertical gear progression, it seems like they really are doing a 180 on their design philosophy and turning into any other mmo.

80 Necromancer/Guardian/Mesmer
Isle of Janthir
Super Ultra Mega Awesome [SUMA]

JumblyJebus.5903

Any MMO for that matter.

That’s the point though. This game was said to be different than other MMO’s that was the big thing Anet had going for it, that they were going to do things different. And now, with things like Fractals, and vertical gear progression, it seems like they really are doing a 180 on their design philosophy and turning into any other mmo.

Yeah but this game actually is different. There are actual things to do besides getting gear and then… waiting for a new tier? THAT is a real gear treadmill. I never really understood that about other MMO’s.

Thankfully this MMO is different

(edited by JumblyJebus.5903)

Posted by: illgot.1056

illgot.1056

Any MMO for that matter.

which is the reason I got excited about GW2.

I didn’t need to worry about grinding out gear set after gear set. Max gear was easy to obtain and the grind for was appearances.

Now it’s completely different.

JumblyJebus.5903

Any MMO for that matter.

which is the reason I got excited about GW2.

I didn’t need to worry about grinding out gear set after gear set. Max gear was easy to obtain and the grind for was appearances.

Now it’s completely different.

Is it? When you log in and play does it actually feel different besides people looking for group for Fractals? Because what I see is people doing the exact same things as they did before but with the option of some additional content.

Orr zergs in full force. WvW exciting as hell (never have I heard people complaining about Ascended gear LOL). All other dungeons still being run.

Tell me exactly what is different? Possibly you are on a low populated server? For some reason even then I doubt anything is different.

Posted by: LOCO.1785

LOCO.1785

Exactly! This is why there’s been so much hate since the Lost Shores patch.

We all bought the marketing hype. No grind, revolutionary MMO, different from all the others etc etc…

As of the 16th of Nov, that’s all BS and guess what? People are not happy.

The game has been fun regardless, but to sum up my feelings in one word… Disappointed.

NemesisT.4809

@JumblyJebus:

I don’t know which server you playing JumblyJebus, but it must be the best server

Situation on my server:
1. Orr: dead – I know it was before, but I mean nearly no players
2. Other dungeons: Best you have a long friends list, if you wanna go somewhere else!
3. WvW: don’t know but actually you can directly join at the primetime. We had one hour or more queue before!

And I play on a high/full server.

Posted by: Sender.7958

Sender.7958

GW2 is the first MMO I’ve gotten into since vanilla WoW. Its safe to say that I will be playing for the foreseeable future. Its the ONLY MMO I can play casually with my other casual friends and not worry about being left behind. Any time I can jump on, see who’s online, and go do something fun with them. One of them has his fractal ring . . . so what? Back in WoW I’d leave for a week, come back to find the guild is on a new MC boss and I have to grind out some new gear before I can join the raid again.

That being said their recent implementation of ascended gear could have been better. All gear in the game is attainable in multiple ways, why restrict ascended gear to a single dungeon (no matter how fun). But Anet has owned up to that and has said changes are on the way, I’ll be watching what they do closely.

JumblyJebus.5903

@JumblyJebus:

I don’t know which server you playing JumblyJebus, but it must be the best server

Situation on my server:
1. Orr: dead – I know it was before, but I mean nearly no players
2. Other dungeons: Best you have a long friends list, if you wanna go somewhere else!
3. WvW: don’t know but actually you can directly join at the primetime. We had one hour or more queue before!

And I play on a high/full server.

1. I’ve done Grenth twice today with full zergs and other Orr events.
2. I can go to LA and say LFG (insert dungeon) and find a group with ease.
3. Every battleground has commanders and zergs, for all 3 servers.

Maybe you need a server transfer? You know some servers tend to go one way or the other depending on the players in that server. Sounds like you are out of place.

Posted by: Rieselle.5079

Rieselle.5079

I’m still waiting for Devil May Cry Online, and I wish I was playing EVE except I hate spaceship combat, but I’ll pass the time pleasurably with GW2 for now.

I hate most other MMO’s, especially those of the EQ/WOW style, but I like my big budget graphics and content, so GW2 is sufficiently different enough to be the best MMO on the market for me right now.

Posted by: Veldan.4637

Veldan.4637

Ok, this might be a bit of a big post, I took this opportunity to provide some feedback as well instead of starting another thread. Like the OP, I followed GW2 for a while, and was very excited about it before launch, and also during the first weeks of launch. I will list what I think is really good, and really bad about GW2.

The good stuff

Jumping Puzzles and mini dungeons this content is really awesome! The WvW jumping puzzle, Mad King’s Clocktower and Skipping Stones are probably the most fun content I played in GW2. I think jumping puzzles are the strongest part on GW2, something that’s better than it was in any other game that had something comparable. Mini dungeons are great fun too, though I haven’t done many yet cause it’s not always easy to get people together for one.

WvW I have to say, WvW is awesome too, especially the siege weapons. Being able to set up a little base where you want, and then defend it with ballistas and arrow carts while your trebs shoot a distant castle… amazing gameplay.

The world, and its looks Tyria is definitely the most pretty world I have seen in all the MMOs I played. I can’t stop making screenshots!

Now, it’s time to continue to The really bad stuff :

The world is pointless. Like in every other MMO, once people reach max level, they play in the one max level zone (Cursed Shore in GW2), and in dungeons. The huge, beautiful world of GW2 is rapidly becoming less populated, because there is no point in being there. As long as the rewards are significantly better in Cursed Shore and dungeons, nobody will play in all those nice zones again, and the whole downscaling system is pretty much pointless. Why every MMO developer team thinks that the only way for PvE endgame is to put people in dungeons/instances, is also something I’ll never understand. Something related, but still different:

The main cities are pointless. Everyone uses Lion’s Arch. The reasons for this are that 1) it has a free teleport (the Heart of the Mists asura gate), 2) Arenanet encourages Lion’s Arch by putting the major events there (Halloween, Karkas), and 3) people need a central place to shout “LFG” because the game has no LFG tool/system. If Arenanet should succeed in at least countering issue 1) and 3), I think we’d see a significant increase of population in the main cities.

WvW rewards. Now, I have seen that they are working on this, but I wanted to say it anyway. WvW is great fun, but the rewards are horrible. Badge drops are rare, and taking a big castle only gives you a regular Dynamic Event reward. This does not motivate people to play more.

sPvP. I started GW2 with the intention of playing only sPvP, because the PvP of the original Guild Wars was so much fun. I have never been more dissapointed. I played sPvP a lot for 3 weeks or so, and now I intend to never play it again. I won’t go into detail, but a comparison with GW1 should say enough for anyone that knows both games.

Grind Let me first say, grind in itself is not a bad thing. I like to farm every now and then, and without any grind people feel without a goal. Legendary was fine, because it provided a long term goal without more power. Then came ascended gear. I first was not very much against this. I like the new dungeons, and I like having a higher gear tier that offers only minor stat increases, just as an additional goal and incentive to play. Then I saw two dissapointing things: 1) the ascended gear can be crafted. This makes the game essentially pay-to-win, because you can put real life money into the game via Gem conversion, and then buy material sets to craft ascended items. 2) the tokens will only give you a backpiece, the rings are a drop. This makes people rely on RNG to get a stat increasing gear upgrade, and this is the reason I quit a few other MMOs (as you might guess, I was not very lucky).

General reward chests. These are horrible. Jumping Puzzles and Mini Dungeons are great fun, but the chests in them may as well be removed. I really don’t care about 3 blues, if I want those I’ll go kill a few mobs, that would be a lot faster than doing a Jumping Puzzle or Mini Dungeon. Another issue, linked to this:

Champion Drops. These are horrible too. Champions are the most difficult mob type that wanders around in the world. Why is their reward so bad? I saw in a patch note that they tried to adress this, but they must have failed, because I did not see a difference. Champions still drop 1 blue often, and sometimes no drop at all.

Posted by: Veldan.4637

Veldan.4637

Lack of LFG system. Especially with the new fractals, it’s a real pain to find a group for anything. These days, an LFG system is something so basic that I really don’t get why GW2 wasn’t shipped with one. The game has no worldwide / serverwide chat functions, everyone is spread out. Shouting LFG reaches only a small % of the people online, even if you do it in multiple places. And if all else fails, couldn’t they have implemented GW1’s Party Search screen? It would be zone specific, but already a big improvement compared to nothing… (I know there is a LFG function, but it’s ridiculous, it can’t even show what you want a group for)

Culling Issues and bugs. Culling issue is really bad, enough said I think. About bugs: every MMO has bugs, that’s true. But GW2 has many, very many. The ones that annoy me most personally, are the Cursed Shore event bugs. Cursed Shore is the only viable alternative to going in instances at endgame. Yesterday I walked to Penitent Camp, only to find out that the Packheart event was broken and didn’t happen, Penitent defense was broken and didn’t happen, Fia’s gorilla events were broken and didn’t happen, and Jofast was broken and didn’t spawn. That’s 7 events not happening, in the small area that I like to play in.

I will keep playing GW2 for now, but the game did dissapoint me in many areas and if it had a sub I’d already be gone.

Posted by: Galen Grey.4709

Galen Grey.4709

OP, here is what I dont get…. You said you’re an explorer and you like cosmetic stuff… yet you feel FoTM was a 180 degree turn… why? Do you need ascended gear to be an explorer or to get cosmetic stuff? hmm nope! you dont even need exotic armor, I never bothered to finish the set… barely started and still have lots of fun running around trying to uncover every secret event in the game, every single hidden area outside of the beaten path and do every awesome jumping puzzle I could get my hands on!

So lets take the lost shore updates and what it meant for explorers! 1/2 a zone area to explore. Nothing really secret I could uncover but it was certainly one of the most beautiful places in tyria to see none the less! 2 jumping puzzles, on for beginners and one thats so large! that after the first time I managed to navigate the stepping stones to the top I felt lost, wasnt sure which direction to go … in a jumping puzzle! Awesome!

Anyhow you’re right, it would have been nice if there was some new cosmetic armor to get from there, but then again they’re not done with the lost shores yet, they will continue building on it so hopefully it will be just a bit more patience but for the rest all the exploration goodness is still there ! And at least to me, this MMO has some of the best exploration any MMO has to offer!

Posted by: Killul.9685

Killul.9685

The mods are terrible on this forum. The ban people for the slightest infraction, delete posts because they don’t like them and merge threads when there is no need and just annoys people. I don’t care if they ban me or delete my post but these mods are complete kitten who don’t know how to do their kittening job.

Posted by: Tosha Daydreamer.9251

Tosha Daydreamer.9251

I did not read your full post, and I skimmed the replies (most of them were the same dead-horse-kicking about ascended anyway), but I want to reply about the forum part.

You are completely right, these forums are terrible. I sent an email to forums@arena.net to complain about my first forumban, and I got a reply 20 days later. I have not yet recieved an answer on my second mail a week later.

In respons, I have sent them a 2-pages-long reply about everything that is wrong with the managment on this forum and ways to improve it. But I suspect that mail will be instantly trashed like this post is going to be, and just like a previous posts I made about this subject has been. Or that it takes them another 20-40 days to reply, and that the reply will be “thank you for your feedback, I will now proceed to close this thread”.

Take one piece of advice: either learn to manage your forums well, or close them. And based on the current state of affairs, I strongly suggest doing the second.

Posted by: Vakirauta.6397

Vakirauta.6397

Any MMO for that matter.

Atleast Aion rewarded me for grinding the hell out of the game.

The Iron Butterfly

Posted by: MarzAttakz.9608

MarzAttakz.9608

OP I was feeling the same as you, took a 6 week break, resigned as guild leader and pulled all my account out. Came back for the Lost Shores update and not much had changed but I’m enjoying the game again.

Why? I joined a new guild that takes part in all aspects of the game! Instead of seeing an empty guild list there are now options and events for me to take part in. If you’re at all interested send me a PM and I’ll send you a link.

YOU KNOW THERE AIN’T NO REST FOR THE WICKED, TILL WE CLOSE OUR EYES FOR GOOD.

Once proud member of Extraordinary Gentlemen [EXG]{DESO4LIFE}

Posted by: Pugilist.4760

Pugilist.4760

• my genome project. pm for /ginvite. the object is to use the “guild” as a world/server channel for lfg/lfm whereever you are. pm in game.*

Posted by: Gnat.5124

Gnat.5124

I love it. From Fractals to WvW to sPvP to World Events to PvE.

Best MMO anyone can imagine and hardly anyone on these forums can recognize that.

This!

I am still excited about logging into the game every day, just as I was at release. I love it.

I know parts of it won’t be for everyone, but you can’t please everyone all of the time – pleases me though