Thoughts, and hopes, for the future of this game!

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: AsheRayne.9726

AsheRayne.9726

This is not a hate or flame, but constructive criticism that actually made me excited for this game once again. (Text wall, incoming!)

Guild Wars II has billed itself as dynamic, world changing (both in and out of game), and that actions of people and events in game will change the face of Tyria permanently… and up till now, I’ve not seen it. I’ve played, grudgingly, but haven’t really gotten “sucked in”. However, this halloween event has made me see so much potential that I really, really, as a humble player, hope that this is the direction the game a)will go b) was planned on going. I know it’s not plausible to have events like what we’ve seen in the mad king story line happen every day, or every couple of days. But even once a month would be epic. Sweeping, WIDE range story arcs that take you all over tyria, in places you’ve been but for new and different reasons. I don’t claim to know alot about this game, I followed it here and there as it was developed.. but what I was EXPECTING when the game came out was what we were delivered with the Mad King story arc. And I’d love nothing more than to see more of this, but more often than simply for holiday events. I’ve heard talk that that’s exactly what they plan on doing, and I truly hope I’m right. THAT would be a game changer right there.

Once again, I’m most definitely not hating on ANET, and I hope I don’t come across that way. I simply was disappointed and let down at first by my own expectations, but they’ve now been revitalized. I’m hoping that it’s possible to take the game in this direction, though I know that is a very prohibitive process.

::Gets off soapbox::

TLDR: Hooray for sweeping and world changing story arcs, we can haz more and more often please?

Posted by: Omega Mayhem.7163

Omega Mayhem.7163

Do you have any idea how much time and work it takes to make an event like the Mad King? It’s asking a lot to have that once a month… and let’s not talk about all the bugs that would have to be taken care of.

I think an event like this every 3 months is reasonable, along with smaller events and content expansions.

Posted by: AesirValkyr.7418

AesirValkyr.7418

Noticed a TLDR and skipped to it, sorry gotta get to work soon.

ANet has said there is a another content patch coming in November, so we get Halloween plus regular content patched in October, then another one in November.

Posted by: Agemnon.4608

Agemnon.4608

I hope they won’t make legendaries harder to obtain with the new patch =(

AsheRayne.9726

Do you have any idea how much time and work it takes to make an event like the Mad King? It’s asking a lot to have that once a month… and let’s not talk about all the bugs that would have to be taken care of.

I think an event like this every 3 months is reasonable, along with smaller events and content expansions.

I may have mentioned in my post that the time seemed prohibitive, however, when they promised a game that changed dynamically on a DAILY basis… my point. Because the game does not change dramatically on a daily basis.

However, they have the structure in place, and if, perhaps (sheerly conjecture as I’m certain it’s not possible) they had a shadow team working on content such as this, if they get a pipeline going, they could theoretically pre-plan years of content and release it as necesarry. They’re certainly making the money, though I know it’s a trade-off with not charging a sub.

Posted by: Veldan.4637

Veldan.4637

Weird, I was a bit dissapointed. The huge evil ancient Mad King Thorn was nyerk easy and soloable in his 5 player instance. You can make all the shiny graphics you want, but nothing will ever feel “epic” to me if it’s facerollable even after raising the difficulty on purpose. An enemy doesn’t mean a thing if he isn’t strong.

In RIFT, they had this system where RIFT mobs could capture a town. The system was generally ill worked out and left much to our wishes, but sometimes an “elite” rift would spawn and strong mobs would take over a town. It was then hard to take back, and impossible for me as solo player.

This is when I felt the RIFT forces had an impact on the world. Weak mobs never do. You can create all the story arcs and graphical effects you want, when enemies are weak I will never feel immersed in those story arcs, and I will never feel like the enemies had an impact on the world. After all, when a skeleton spawns out of a haunted door, after swinging my axe twice I can run on as if nothing happened.

TL;DR
For me to enjoy this kind of stuff, PLEASE introduce some measure of difficulty.

Posted by: Madtavish.9037

Madtavish.9037

Like having one of the Elder Dragons attack one of the major cities – like Jormag could attack Hoelbrak or Kralkatorrik could attack Black Citadel. And having like Leaders of every Tyrian Order take their most elite soldiers and would go to the attacked city and would fight the Elder Dragon. These events could happen like every month and they could somehow change the look of the cities (destroyed/breached walls, destroyed building etc.)
What do you think?

“No matter how wonderful or wierd the weapon, what matters, it the man behind it.”

Posted by: pizdek.2168

pizdek.2168

Like having one of the Elder Dragons attack one of the major cities – like Jormag could attack Hoelbrak or Kralkatorrik could attack Black Citadel. And having like Leaders of every Tyrian Order take their most elite soldiers and would go to the attacked city and would fight the Elder Dragon. These events could happen like every month and they could somehow change the look of the cities (destroyed/breached walls, destroyed building etc.)
What do you think?

Personally, I dont think that would work. Events would be quite demanding and hard to make them look epic with the way the engine works right now (optimalizatoin).
Secondly, look far in the future, if events like these would repeat themselves and they would cause cities to brake down, there would be nothing left out of them let’s say after a year or couple.
Gotta think about that too.

Posted by: acemanelite.3987

acemanelite.3987

Unless Anet gets off their A$#! and fix the bot problem now…the economy will be so ruined in this game nothing else will matter

AesirValkyr.7418

Unless Anet gets off their A$#! and fix the bot problem now…the economy will be so ruined in this game nothing else will matter

Colin J just posted in the last day or so that they hired on an entire team dedicated to taking care of bots and goldsellers. Named “Operation Bot Destruction”

Posted by: bojangles.6912

bojangles.6912

I hate to say it but this game already peaked and won’t even come close to the logins they had the first few weeks of launch. I am not bashing the game but it seems the trend for all mmo’s after WoW peak within the first month then drop big time. WoW (besides those before WoW) was the only game that kept gaining and gaining subs. I know GW2 is harder to base subs on since it is free, but you can always tell by the logins.

I don’t know what it is but not one mmo that I recall after WoW kept gaining subs and still gains (without taking a huge loss first).

So thoughts for the future are I think this game will still be around but isn’t going to peak again. It will keep a fan base like all the others but that’s about it. As for hopes I don’t know. I was expecting more from this game but lost interest extremely fast. I am not a huge pvper on other games and I am a hard core raider, but I was hoping to have a new and fun pvp experience in this game as I thought it was going to be based pretty much on pvp but ended up being pretty boring imo. Even the pve wasn’t all that good. But I don’t regret my purchase and hope things change because after all it is free to play so I hope in time it does get better.

AsheRayne.9726

What do you think?

See, I like this idea, there’s PLENTY that they can do to increase the immersion and make it epic. They’re trying to simulate a real fantasy world environment, and there’s plenty of ways to do that

AesirValkyr.7418

I would like to see something along the line of this. A group jumps into a Dungeon, everyone dies at a boss and gets kicked out of the dungeon. The Boss they failed at, comes up out of the dungeon and spawns at the door for a public Dynamic event.

That way the group still gets another shot at him, and everyone else standing around can either die or hope for some rewards.

Posted by: SneakyErvin.3056

SneakyErvin.3056

Future expectations and hopes for GW2? Ok.

-Fixed culling in WvW and everywhere else.
-Optimize and fix WvW maps (keeps, snow, lightning etc) so fps loss and lag is minimal. Not fun running around at 80-100 fps (60 with vsync) and then drop to 15-20 in a keep combat, especially not when it works well in open field.
-Add more stuff to the game.

Let Valkyries guide me to my destiny.