Thoughts on Ascended Gear? [Merged threads]

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Cromag.7195

Cromag.7195

I started GW1 pretty late and still play it. Coming from WoW fed up with that gear grind, content nerf, unbalanced pvp stuff and decline of a decent community GW1 is still a shining light on the MMO market with a unique concept and game mechanics:

1. You get max gear(armor,weapons) pretty fast, if you want the beautiful stuff you have to do something for it and there are loads of items with a unique appearance.

2. Skill(the right build), having the right inscriptions, runes on armor weapons and knowing the enemies abilities you face as well as tactics are important – not one maxed out gear set which you have to grind weeks for.

3. The instance concept may have the disadvantage of not meeting randomly other players, but there are no problems with lag.

4. End content oriented gameplay, you’ve a load of stuff to do at lvl 20(vanquishing for example or hard mode missions).

This game managed it to exist for 7 years, without an item spiral, adding armor/weapon tiers every 3 months which you “need” to have to take part in content. You can play it casual or hardcore without having a disadvantage in the game.

I started playing GW2 with the hope they would take the GW1 approach to a new level, which they did, but the step of adding a new armor tier 2 1/2 months after the release, which you can only obtain through a endless grind points into a direction which I won’t follow.

Posted by: ASB.4295

ASB.4295

… and give us agony resist upgrade items (with no additional stats) to slot into our jewellery.

You do realize that infusions themselves are a gear treadmill, right? Fine, Masterwork, Rare, Exotic, Ascended. So even with an Exotic gear stat cap, you’d have to work to get your gear maxed out every time they release a new infusion type/rarity.

Yo, dawg! We heard you like progression, so we put infusions on your new gear, so you can grind while you grind.

Posted by: cherrie.8907

cherrie.8907

Btw, can someone tell me if they made a detailed response in English as they did in German at some point?

“Otherwise, your MMO becomes all about grinding to get the best gear. We don’t make grindy games.”
-Mike Obrien
“We don’t need to make mandatory gear treadmills” -Colin Johanson

Posted by: Rpgtabbycat.5869

Rpgtabbycat.5869

Possible simple solutions although I am not against the ascended gear.

Give the ascended gear the same stats as exotics but make the skins extremely desirable (i.e. the best looking gear available in the game). Alternatively, they could bump up the stats on existing exotics the same way that they plan to bump up the legendaries.

Leave in Infusion and Agony but make it so that crafting professions are able to make infusion upgrade slots that can be added to any current exotic/ legendary piece of armor/ trinket/ weapon. Also allow crafting professions to make infusions for those slots as well.

A heart felt apology to the community that has been upset over this probably would help with customer retention as well.

Posted by: Ditrah.5128

Ditrah.5128

I’m surprised over this reaction I have to say, it’s not that big of a deal really.
This is not a “gear-treadmill” for the simple reason that there is NOTHING in this game you can’t do in lvl 80 blues, that is the main difference and it is still there.

It was possible to raid most of Icecrown Citadel in blues. That didn’t make WoW any less of a gear-treadmill.

That’s a bad example for the simple reason that those guilds could never complete the whole raid due to number maths. Gear-check bosses does not exist in the same way in GW2.

The new items are a help it’s not a necessity, make what you want out of it but the only one forcing you are yourself.

Posted by: Rpgtabbycat.5869

Rpgtabbycat.5869

So here’s another question and forgive me if it’s been asked as I don’t feel like wading through 198 pages of responses:

If this new Ascended gear could be achieved through all the current ways that Exotics are available (crafting, drops, karma, dungeons, forge) would you still be against them having the slightly greater stat increase?

Posted by: Crater.1625

Crater.1625

Yes, because the cost to obtain Ascended armour (in time and gold) is simply too high.

Posted by: pregnable.1954

pregnable.1954

I’m surprised over this reaction I have to say, it’s not that big of a deal really.
This is not a “gear-treadmill” for the simple reason that there is NOTHING in this game you can’t do in lvl 80 blues, that is the main difference and it is still there.
Nobody can inspect you and check what gear you use other then what skins you have on-top. I don’t think that every single player in this game like the same look, so anyone trying to cut you out of group because of it will be the fool impersonated.
They don’t have that tool and it will never happen either.

A lot of people are fine with slowly getting their exotic tokens right now and they were never going for the legendaries in the first place for the simple reason: They enjoy the game-play and not the grind.
I don’t understand what some of you were expecting.
Did you expect there never to be hard-modes of any kind?
If there was hard-modes should these be completely without any extra reward what so ever?
How quickly did people get done with the old dungeons because there was nothing to get from there?
If you are stuck in the new dungeon (someone leaves) and need someone to help, why would they step in other then their love for you?
Give that some thought.

Just because there is new content out does not mean you have to bash your head against it days on end. I find the whole argument a little bit ironic that people don’t want any more progression when this is not even the top-notch stuff in the first place. Just another mid level that will be there going forward and it makes sense as there will be more harder dungeons in the future too.
“I can’t help myself but to grind days on end just because it happens to be there”
That must be a hard situation to be in, but in my book that is a matter of self punishment rather then enforcement. If you feel you can’t play because of it, then I’m sorry but I think you’ll be the one losing out on something you could get a lot of fun out of.
The new dungeon is not for everyone, I don’t think everyone will enjoy it. This was a good timing to implement this patch. The old dungeons-runs are now a lot easier as people know the hows and most have better gear. (I still invite lower levels into my groups mind you).
There will always be groups with interests going apart in an mmo, you will never get away from that. To toss out the argument that anyone not from your pool of players should go away and shut up is not vial. You can’t cater everyone as a developer all the time, it is simply impossible.
But people should at least try to approach this with some dignity rather then cry and quit. I have a feeling it’s all talk anyhow.

LOL… I have already quit. Will uninstall soon, but I need to talk to one more person in game before I go. Following this forum for comedy at the moment.

Obviously you are either Anet pr or have not read a lot of posts in this thread. I will bite on this one for the heck of it.

A lot of us bought the game because it had a firm max tier.

We planned on playing spvp, wvw and some pve for fun when new content came out.

We had planned on having 3-5 full sets of exotic gear for 1 of each class for WvW.

This update has destroyed the game for us, as we have no intention of farming 448+ items, for WvW, just to have to farm it again whenever Anet wants to put in another tier of gear. LOL. If you are serious about WvW and pvp, you will want max level gear, so do not post anything about that or you are confirmed Anet pr.

I do not care what they do now, I will not come back. The damage is done Hellgate: London style.

A game I was looking at a while back is looking pretty good now… Neverwinter online lol. It has actual action combat and similar skill system… and if they screw it up… guess what… it actually is ftp! LOL.

Posted by: Seed.5467

Seed.5467

Well, after have attended the one time event, i have to say i am not so impressed. The one time event should be something that stays in the memory of the players. The only thing that stayed in my memory was Lag,Lag and more Lag. After have participate the event in Lions Arch, i went to see the new dungeon. I must admit the new dungeon is quite interesting but it´s not something for me. I played it 1 or 2 times but that was it. After that went and played WvWvW.

The only thing that i find depressing is the fact that the ascended gear will be available only as a possible reward from Dungeon. So, i am been forced to repeat the dungeon many times in order to enjoy the new gear, since my exotic after introducing this new tier is obsolete.

Please Anet, at least give players like my self, who do not enjoy dungeon grinding other ways to obtain the new tier gear parallel to dungeon, through karma, badges etc.

Regards

Seed

Posted by: Wildclaw.6073

Wildclaw.6073

That’s a bad example for the simple reason that those guilds could never complete the whole raid due to number maths. Gear-check bosses does not exist in the same way in GW2.

…….

Agony is the ultimate gear check stat, designed specifically for gear checking.

Posted by: Junkpile.7439

Junkpile.7439

So where is karma vendor who sell these trinkets?

Low quality trolling since launch
Seafarer’s Rest EotM grinch

Posted by: offence.4726

offence.4726

This is the worst possible thing that could happen to the game , first of all they said no gear treadmills and now we get a new type inbetween exotic and legendary but with better stats then exotics ? What does this mean you ask? Basically if you dont want to settle to the 2nd best gear your obliged to start farming like a mad man token after token to get that ascended gear. Why would anyone grind any other dungeon when you got the better gear in FoTm? WvW is imbalanced enough how will this gear effect it even more ? Anet needs to speak up on this travesty worst patch so far.

play hard , go pro.

Posted by: Ditrah.5128

Ditrah.5128

Nobody can inspect you and check what gear you use other then what skins you have on-top. I don’t think that every single player in this game like the same look, so anyone trying to cut you out of group because of it will be the fool impersonated.
They don’t have that tool and it will never happen either.

A lot of people are fine with slowly getting their exotic tokens right now and they were never going for the legendaries in the first place for the simple reason: They enjoy the game-play and not the grind.
I don’t understand what some of you were expecting.
Did you expect there never to be hard-modes of any kind?
If there was hard-modes should these be completely without any extra reward what so ever?
How quickly did people get done with the old dungeons because there was nothing to get from there?
If you are stuck in the new dungeon (someone leaves) and need someone to help, why would they step in other then their love for you?
Give that some thought.

Just because there is new content out does not mean you have to bash your head against it days on end. I find the whole argument a little bit ironic that people don’t want any more progression when this is not even the top-notch stuff in the first place. Just another mid level that will be there going forward and it makes sense as there will be more harder dungeons in the future too.
“I can’t help myself but to grind days on end just because it happens to be there”
That must be a hard situation to be in, but in my book that is a matter of self punishment rather then enforcement. If you feel you can’t play because of it, then I’m sorry but I think you’ll be the one losing out on something you could get a lot of fun out of.
The new dungeon is not for everyone, I don’t think everyone will enjoy it. This was a good timing to implement this patch. The old dungeons-runs are now a lot easier as people know the hows and most have better gear. (I still invite lower levels into my groups mind you).
There will always be groups with interests going apart in an mmo, you will never get away from that. To toss out the argument that anyone not from your pool of players should go away and shut up is not vial. You can’t cater everyone as a developer all the time, it is simply impossible.
But people should at least try to approach this with some dignity rather then cry and quit. I have a feeling it’s all talk anyhow.

LOL… I have already quit. Will uninstall soon, but I need to talk to one more person in game before I go. Following this forum for comedy at the moment.

Obviously you are either Anet pr or have not read a lot of posts in this thread. I will bite on this one for the heck of it.

A lot of us bought the game because it had a firm max tier.

We planned on playing spvp, wvw and some pve for fun when new content came out.

We had planned on having 3-5 full sets of exotic gear for 1 of each class for WvW.

This update has destroyed the game for us, as we have no intention of farming 448+ items, for WvW, just to have to farm it again whenever Anet wants to put in another tier of gear. LOL. If you are serious about WvW and pvp, you will want max level gear, so do not post anything about that or you are confirmed Anet pr.

I do not care what they do now, I will not come back. The damage is done Hellgate: London style.

A game I was looking at a while back is looking pretty good now… Neverwinter online lol. It has actual action combat and similar skill system… and if they screw it up… guess what… it actually is ftp! LOL.

You sure like the term “lol”, good for you and why would I try to stop you?

No I am not PR just because I don’t share your opinion, talk about being childish. Get that out of your head, the world doesn’t work that way.
What I find interesting is that many of you seem so convinced that they WILL in-fact add a new set of gear and that you won’t be able to transmute that skin onto your old one. That you won’t be able to change an infusion of your gear either.
Even when you don’t have any evidence for such a thing or anything about any new gear-tier being added either. “Must be the case” is simply not good enough.
This could very well be the final gear model and be the same 5 expansions from now.

Posted by: Wintyre Fraust.6534

Wintyre Fraust.6534

I just did three of these dungeons. didn’t finish one. I hate this garbage. Hate it with a passion. I can’t believe I am being forced to do this stuff that I loathe just to be competitive in wvwvw.

Please tell us when this will be available in wvwvw? If I have to do another dungeon I will shoot myself, seriously.

It will be available in WvW, through crafting, etc. after they release the next batch of gear upgrades in the agony dungeon(s), probably about the time that the content-locusts are mostly done consuming this batch.

You know, sort of like how, in WoW, after the elites have grinded the new best armor and have had some time to strut around in it, they release the next, new “best” armor and the last best “new” armor is available in other ways, and then when the next best new armor comes out the first best new armor becomes trash mob drops in the new content areas. I’m sure we all remember how this works.

Posted by: ant.5812

ant.5812

Really disappointed Arenanet has chosen to add a gear treadmill to this game. It spells the beginning of the end for me with GW2 unfortunately.

Posted by: Urxx.6840

Urxx.6840

In GW1 you couldn’t inspect people either, yet people would kick you off the party if you tried to do missions involving spectral agony and your armor wasn’t infused. How would they know your armor wasn’t infused if they couldn’t inspect you? Because of how fast you died as soon as spectral agony was cast on you.

Spectral agony…. infusion…. doesn’t this ring any bell? Yep that’s the mechanic they just introduced in GW2 to make ascended armor more and more relevant and all the other tiers but legendary more and more obsolete.

They took the idea from GW1. The main difference is: in GW1 you could infuse any armor via a mission. Here it’s only available to ascended and legendary tiers.

The way it is right now it’s a gating mechanic. In the beginning it will cut exotic and lower tiers owners off a tiny bit of content (Fractals over a certain difficulty scale), but as new patches go online, not having infusions will be increasingly limiting. Maye this doesn’t disturb you, and that’s fine because it’s subjective, but the fact it constitutes a u-turn from their previous and stated game design phylosophy is objective.

Posted by: Abra.5230

Abra.5230

No I am not PR just because I don’t share your opinion, talk about being childish. Get that out of your head, the world doesn’t work that way.
What I find interesting is that many of you seem so convinced that they WILL in-fact add a new set of gear and that you won’t be able to transmute that skin onto your old one. That you won’t be able to change an infusion of your gear either.
Even when you don’t have any evidence for such a thing or anything about any new gear-tier being added either. “Must be the case” is simply not good enough.
This could very well be the final gear model and be the same 5 expansions from now.

Doesn’t matter if they ever add a new tier or not.

Yes, exotics are easy to get. It’s how it was supposed to be, here’s what Mike O’Brien said:

Mike O’Brien
“Here’s what we believe: If someone wants to play for a thousand hours to get an item that is so rare that other players can’t realistically acquire it, that rare item should be differentiated by its visual appearance and rarity alone, not by being more powerful than everything else in the game. Otherwise, your MMO becomes all about grinding to get the best gear. We don’t make grindy games – we leave the grind to other MMOs.”

It is the number one reason why I bought into GW2, because I have played far too many MMORPGs where investing more time into the game gave you a statistical advantage. Not only do the people who play more usually play better than other people (because they practice more), no, they also get an unfair advantage right off the bat. I am sick and tired of this and I sincerely believed GW2 was going to be different.

It’s not anymore. Legendary weapons give you a 5% damage increase over exotics and that’s not even including stats like power or precision.

They created a problem where there was no problem before. I haven’t played the game in over a week because of the new patch and if things stay the same I don’t see myself ever playing GW2 again.

Posted by: pregnable.1954

pregnable.1954

Now I figure you ARE Anet pr. You throw an insult and ignore everything I posted.

We already have to farm some of our gear over with this update… and Anet refuses to confirm that this is the last tier.

We have no interest in farming 448+ pieces of max level gear just to farm it again when the tier increases.

Some people have already made lots of sets of exotic gear and will quit from having to farm them again.

We do not want to farm 448+ pieces of gear over and over! With this update the game might as well be a racing simulation from our point of view.

I am only responding to this for people in the thread to read. I think there is a very small chance that you are an actual player… but maybe, who knows.

I am only in this thread for LOLs now, hence the LOLs.

Posted by: Greep.6394

Greep.6394

snip

First of all, you obviously didn’t read his post, there were two possibilities he gave, one of which was you being a PR, the other being the more obviously rational, that you didn’t read jack in this thread.

Second, nobody even cares about any of those other things you listed. It’s bad enough as is even if this is the last and final tier.

Third, use your darned logical faculties, you know this is not the last tier. They’ve said gear progression “is a process normally for expansions” meaning they plan on it for every single expansion from now. It’s obvious on a level of certainty that we don’t need to defend, and do not bother defending to you people since we’re leaving.

You obviously don’t care about putting up a proper argument, because you honestly don’t mind if there are more tiers. We do, and we’re showing it by uninstalling.

(edited by Greep.6394)

Posted by: stpetemermaid.5947

stpetemermaid.5947

I really don’t understand what the big deal is? They’re giving us more game to play, what’s wrong with that? If you hate progressing your character then why don’t you just sit at level 1?

You people complain about anything. If Anet bumped max level up to 85, you’d complain then too about “hey you said no grind!” Seriously they’re giving us new content, totally for free, and you complain? What the hell is wrong with you.

I would not complain about game to play. I am expressing opinion about gear progression being the only way to implement “more game to play.” New dungeon, new area for 80, that’s all cool. But why make content gated with agony stat, and why make it a grind for higher gear. More Game and Gear Grind have nothing to do with each other.

And “progression”? It’s not progression to get better gear all the time. Why does a new dungeon/area have to have higher bosses? Is it the same fight with just higher bosses? That’s not progression; that’s just the same with higher stats on you and boss. Is it different fight? Cool. But if it’s a different mechanic, then why do you need different gear? I would see overcoming the new fight/situation as progression in itself.

Developers can’t think up any new fights? They can’t come up with new situations? New stories? They seem to be able to do so with new island and new dungeon idea. Why isn’t that good enough? I would have been thrilled if that was the focus of the update. But…it isn’t. The focus is on ascended gear/agony mechanic. The focus is on having to regear. And I don’t see the purpose of that at all.

Posted by: xtorma.1283

xtorma.1283

It’s a done deal. even if this change causes a mass exodus, and huge drop in revenue, they can’t go back on it now. Look at SWG. Instead of admitting they were wrong and reversing the changes, they allowed the game to close.

What we have now, and going forward is GW2. Nothing is going to change that now. If you are so opposed to this change that you can’t live with it, then I would start looking for another game.

the only way I could see for them to reverse this would be to create new servers that had different rules. Everyone starts at 80, there is no leveling. Everyone gets access to the best gear immediatly, of every type. All zones are level 80. There is only end game crafting and you buy the right to craft from vendors. Progression is cosmetic based only.

Trading post is seperate from original servers. overflows are seperate from original servers. No hosting between server types.

Baron Irongut – Warrior-

Posted by: Abra.5230

Abra.5230

Everyone starts at 80, there is no leveling. Everyone gets access to the best gear immediatly, of every type. All zones are level 80. There is only end game crafting and you buy the right to craft from vendors. Progression is cosmetic based only.

Holy kitten that would be amazing, especially all zones being level 80.

Posted by: Ballistic.4531

Ballistic.4531

It’s a done deal. even if this change causes a mass exodus, and huge drop in revenue, they can’t go back on it now. Look at SWG. Instead of admitting they were wrong and reversing the changes, they allowed the game to close.

What we have now, and going forward is GW2. Nothing is going to change that now. If you are so opposed to this change that you can’t live with it, then I would start looking for another game.

the only way I could see for them to reverse this would be to create new servers that had different rules. Everyone starts at 80, there is no leveling. Everyone gets access to the best gear immediatly, of every type. All zones are level 80. There is only end game crafting and you buy the right to craft from vendors. Progression is cosmetic based only.

Trading post is seperate from original servers. overflows are seperate from original servers. No hosting between server types.

So you are proposing to split the community even more?
I also think they won’t revise or revert to anything. Heck, they won’t even issue a statement about all this. I don’t expect them to do anything other than be quiet about all this mess.

This world needs more people being frank and less people being offended.

stpetemermaid.5947

This thought crossed my mind as well. They are already going to split the community. One group is not going to want anything to do with the other. It would help WvW too. If you want more level WvW, you take the original servers. You want to show how “good” you are in your upgraded gear, take the new server.

I think it would be too hard to implement in reality, but I like the idea.

Greep.6394

Everyone starts at 80, there is no leveling. Everyone gets access to the best gear immediatly, of every type. All zones are level 80. There is only end game crafting and you buy the right to craft from vendors. Progression is cosmetic based only.

Holy kitten that would be amazing, especially all zones being level 80.

I know! Rather sad that a minority of players are forcing a change which has ZERO other effect than to block content. That’s all stat progression, of any kind, does.

Posted by: Ganzo.5079

Ganzo.5079

Maybe its true, or mabe they can revert this and keep that faction of player that they still have hope on this project.
Because the locust ones, simply make numbers fluctuate, they come on every new update, and they leave when they finished the new content.
And even the PPL are leaving and are sking refund now, i think they will continue to keep an eye on here (this forum or other sites) so if the Anet show us some attachment on the community and on that manifesto, maybe some player will return.

Because, like Guild Wars before it, GW2 doesn’t fall into the traps of traditional MMORPGs.
It doesn’t suck your life away and force you onto a grinding treadmill"
LOL

Posted by: Ravnodaus.5130

Ravnodaus.5130

…….

Agony is the ultimate gear check stat, designed specifically for gear checking.

This, exactly this.

The way it is designed and implemented, is to gear check you. Hard line gear check at some level.

If you do not have sufficient agony resist, gained from infusions(gear), then agony will stop you from advancing further. To go further… you will need to get better gear!

Why grind dungeons? Only relevant content…
Why? Gives needed gear…
Why do you need this gear? To do dungeons… duh.

Posted by: xtorma.1283

xtorma.1283

So you are proposing to split the community even more?
I also think they won’t revise or revert to anything. Heck, they won’t even issue a statement about all this. I don’t expect them to do anything other than be quiet about all this mess.

I am simply proposing a way to keep those who are leaving. They wouldn’t consider doing this anyway. Daoc did something similer with legacy servers and so did EQ. It’s simply a way to appeal to the largest amount of people at the same time. The community is already split.

Baron Irongut – Warrior-

Posted by: Jairyn.6913

Jairyn.6913

So, what’s the going bet on how soon we hear that they’ve got all their infusions and there’s nothing to do at end game?

2 weeks? 2 days?

(edited by Jairyn.6913)

Posted by: Shunsui Jiraiya.9103

Shunsui Jiraiya.9103

I still cant believe that after 199 pages we still are not worth 5 minutes of Mike’s time for a post on why he changed his mind from his legendary commitment to an ideal:

“Here’s what we believe: If someone wants to play for a thousand hours to get an item that is so rare that other players can’t realistically acquire it, that rare item should be differentiated by its visual appearance and rarity alone, not by being more powerful than everything else in the game. Otherwise, your MMO becomes all about grinding to get the best gear. We don’t make grindy games – we leave the grind to other MMOs.” – Mike O’Brien

Too busy dancing around in diamond infused panda skin shoes?

I really hope we get a straight answer. Im sure a number of other people don’t plan to buy gems or even log in till they hear more.

For every single voiced complaint there is often 100 more that feel the same but cant be bothered to speak up.

“Otherwise, your MMO becomes all about grinding to get the best gear. We don’t make grindy games.”
-Mike Obrien, President of Arenanet

(edited by Shunsui Jiraiya.9103)

stpetemermaid.5947

Anyone know the planned progression model for elder scrolls online?

Not yet. They stated they want to implement raid dungeons, PvP, and “Adventure” areas. Adventure areas are for solo, small groups, or large groups. I am gathering that the Adventure areas are for more casual style. But no word on gear progression yet, and whether gear progression is a part of PvP or Adventure.

Posted by: xweyn.2709

xweyn.2709

just put on ascended item a value :
-50 toughness in 3W

then your ascended item will only impact Pve guys
and you will not decieved 3W ppl

we losing much people with your spirit change… i thank you wanted a MMORPG for players…
You really are in the wrong way. stop be too proud

Posted by: DreamyAbaddon.3265

DreamyAbaddon.3265

Mike-O’brien…. Mike-O’brien!!! Please tell us why you decided to change GW2’s Direction.
Please tell us you’ll go back to the original GW2 philosophy and fix this issue.

And Colin Johanson… I can never forget you… Nooo Siree..

I wish I could meet these 2 people face-to-face and ask this to them personally since they arn’t even posting back here….

Posted by: Thelgar.7214

Thelgar.7214

So here’s another question and forgive me if it’s been asked as I don’t feel like wading through 198 pages of responses:

If this new Ascended gear could be achieved through all the current ways that Exotics are available (crafting, drops, karma, dungeons, forge) would you still be against them having the slightly greater stat increase?

It isn’t slightly greater, it is a full tier worth of increase.

But, yes I would still be against it. It took me three months of playing every chance I got to get my existing exotics, and that includes time I was grinding in Orr rather than exploring (my main was at 47% world completion at the point I finished my gear IIRC) or playing through the stories of my alts, including those in the three extra slots I bought.

The amount of grind required for exotics was at the threshold I could manage, so I don’t want to re-do the same amount of grind on my main, let alone more.

I want to spend the time I have to play now playing through the world content I like, leveling up alts and getting them end-game gear to skin with skins I buy/earn or already bought/earned and be able to participate in the few aspects of monthly events that don’t require me to try to find four other people who can play at times that work around my real-life commitments.

Here’s the thing – the money I spent, which wasn’t negligible, pales in comparison to the time I spent. I don’t want the money back, I want the time I spent getting that gear to be worth it, which means that that gear is is end-game gear. And I want to be able to continue to get end-game gear for the other characters I’ve invested time and money in at a reasonable rate.

I don’t care if that means dropping the stat bonus on infused items or giving out a sets of 18 soulbound ascended transformation stones in the same way they give out the pre-order ring so that existing players who spent time or have been spending time to get end-game gear under the pre-update system aren’t forced to participate in the new grind. But, since they haven’t committing to stopping at ascended, that would mean giving out a set of stones every time they do this, or making the stones set a bit of data on the items that triggers an automatic update just like legendaries receive each each time. If these new players they are so set on attracting like the increased grind, they shouldn’t be bothered by the fact that those of us who didn’t sign on for it don’t need to participate.

If it hadn’t been for the way things were described leading up to the game, I wouldn’t have bought it. If I saw after starting to play I’d have needed to grind more than I already had to for end-game gear, I wouldn’t have spent the time and money I did over the last three months. All I want is for ArenaNet to honor their word.

Posted by: Pherenice.8124

Pherenice.8124

The begining of the end…

Greep.6394

So, what’s the going bet on how soon we hear that they’ve got all their infusions and there’s nothing to do at end game?

2 weeks? 2 days?

More like the second the mats go on the tp, since they already faceroll farmed orr for eons.

Posted by: Schnuffles.5369

Schnuffles.5369

Soon i expect to be outclassed in WvW by decked out ascended gear mindless grinding players.

Time to find another game.

Posted by: cherrie.8907

cherrie.8907

I think most of the opposition is not against how you are to obtain the gear, but against the principle of the stat increase in general, so yes, I for one would still be against it.

I can understand that ANet wanted to experiment with a content like the new dungeon and with gear gating mechanisms like Infusion certainly is – I’ve seen in fail before and I think it’s terrible, but at the same time I think that they might have been able to pull it off.
But they could indeed truly limit the new mechanic to the new dungeon only by keeping the Existing gear top tier, increasing no stats, forcing no change but f.e. adding an equipment slot that would hold a single Infusion item, that would also have no stats on its own apart from Agony resistance.

If they wanted to explore gear progression, why not add more unique items with Exotic stats, or more Exotic types with more stats variety? more gems, more runes? Weapon + equipment + jewelry upgrade sets?

Increase of stats, in any way, and making pre-patch Exotic gear sub-optimal is what I’m against and for me personally, ways of obtaining the new gear do not matter.

-Mike Obrien
“We don’t need to make mandatory gear treadmills” -Colin Johanson

Posted by: John Lucier.5486

John Lucier.5486

One simple thing they could do to please tens of thousands of players(if not hundreds of thousands) about to quit over the ascended gear, like myself. They just make wvwvw seperate from PVE. Have it have the same gear system as sPVP except you can transmute PVE skins onto them, this will make everyone happy, and by everyone I mean the real wvwvw players who care about beating someone with skill and not stat increases, the real players, the one that played this game because progression was supposed to be cosmetic only.

Posted by: Logun.2349

Logun.2349

Guys we are not going to win this gear fight, but maybe we can win or get some assurances that we still have all the flexibility and choice in how we play our endgame and that we can still play the game the way we want and find a path to the best gear in the game. In accordance to what was promised us post launch.

Here’s my open letter let’s see if we can win a compromise and preserve the FUN.

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/gw2/How-to-win-me-back-a-simple-compromise/first#post770150

Posted by: Ablation.8649

Ablation.8649

Overall I have mixed feeling about Ascended gear. I’m yet to be convinced that they really needed a bridge between exotics and legendaries. I felt those people who wanted legendaries would work for them, and others would be happy to see new exotics with shiny different skins. That’s what I think these items should be. Sure, add infusions on too in place of runes, make them a trade-off if you want and balance them accordingly. After all, people can always transmute them, and will do so anyway. Adding extra stats just seems unnecessary. That said, I’ll wait and see how they actually turn out power-wise and whether they’re really necessary or just a side-grade.

I would encourage/hope ANet introduces methods to attain this gear via crafting, WvW and the TP before introducing the items for the other slots. Otherwise people are going to feel the need to pigeon hole themselves into running FotM (whether they want to or not), and that’s never good.

Personally I don’t like running dungeons. I don’t really enjoy them, I often don’t have time for them, and quite frankly I’m probably bad at them due to lack of experience. However, I’m more than happy to earn WvW tokens for the same gear, or go and earn the gold/mats somehow to craft it or buy it off the TP. I don’t mind legendaries requiring dungeons; after all they are for the hardcore and dedicated player willing to cover the spectrum of PvE. And they’re cosmetic so fair enough. But Ascended gear is unique and has altered stats.

Adding a daily to sPvP is great to encourage people to go and do that. I would suggest continuing with this philosophy with Ascended gear. Encourage people to diversify and they will be happy.

Don’t Panic.

Posted by: Urxx.6840

Urxx.6840

Guys we are not going to win this gear fight

Personally I don’t realize myself by fighting imaginary cyberwars on forums.

I’m not here to fight ArenaNet. I’m here because I don’t like where this is going to lead a game I personally loved and spent a lot of time into.

I’d rather be in-game playing than here posting. That was the case before this fiasco.

Posted by: Ganzo.5079

Ganzo.5079

So who said that exotics is the max level?

Start look this interwiev at 6:40.
Its kinda sad re listen this.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y-YBsK17j6I

I’m not here to fight ArenaNet. I’m here because I don’t like where this is going to lead a game I personally loved and spent a lot of time into.
I’d rather be in-game playing than here posting. That was the case before this fiasco.

i agree, no one is here to fight ANet, but its seem that anet is Engaging a sort of cold war with us. And silence is a great tool to make ppl enrage.

Because, like Guild Wars before it, GW2 doesn’t fall into the traps of traditional MMORPGs.
It doesn’t suck your life away and force you onto a grinding treadmill"
LOL

(edited by Ganzo.5079)

Thelgar.7214

One simple thing they could do to please tens of thousands of players(if not hundreds of thousands) about to quit over the ascended gear, like myself. They just make wvwvw seperate from PVE. Have it have the same gear system as sPVP except you can transmute PVE skins onto them, this will make everyone happy, and by everyone I mean the real wvwvw players who care about beating someone with skill and not stat increases, the real players, the one that played this game because progression was supposed to be cosmetic only.

Real players? Good luck geting anything changed if you’re going to start throwing people with other play styles under the bus. I don’t WvWvW. I PVE. I build alts. I explore. This change affects PVE players that aren’t hardcore grinders as much as it does WvWvW players.

Better gear means faster killing, which means more money. In events, that means more money for the people with ascended gear and less for those without it.

Which means prices on the TP go up to match the players with the higher stat gear, so they get more high stat gear, and all the best skins and pretty much everything else. Because not only can the other players not match the higher stat players income, they’ll actually be making less in an event than they did before.

Run events with a character in rares, then the same character in exotics and see the difference in the number of drops you end up with.

And those areas to explore? They’re getting adjusted to compensate for the new gear, so the players that don’t hardcore grind get the fun of those becoming a miserable slog.

Posted by: Logun.2349

Logun.2349

Well then you’re here protesting changes aren’t you because you want the game not to change …Right!

So if you’re here expressing an opinion then your fighting for what you believe to be the right course for the game is ….Right?

All I’m saying is Arena Net has their reasons they see this change as being needed, and you have your reasons you want it to stay the same as it is ….as I do, but we are not getting anywhere are we?

I’m trying to find a compromise here…. https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/gw2/How-to-win-me-back-a-simple-compromise/first#post770150

Posted by: Osprey.6587

Osprey.6587

I hate to say this but you people that come into this thread trying to defend them really should better inform yourself. This is not the end of the road with the gear grind, it’s only the beginning. How can I know this you ask? Do I have a crystal ball? Well no, I don’t but I can read:

This is just the beginning. In November, we’re only adding the first level of Infusions and Ascended Rings and Back slots, so that leaves us a lot of room to build upon these levels of Item progression in future content.

As we release more new end game content in the future, you’ll see more Infusions and Ascended item types being added to the game. Eventually, you’ll be able to kit yourself out with a full set of Ascended gear and high end Infusions to help give you the edge in end game content.

and here:

The new additions in November are just the start of our item progression initiative. We’re going to add tons of new high-level content to Guild Wars 2 in the future. As we introduce the new high-level content, we’ll also roll out complimentary Ascended and Legendary items (to say nothing of the other rewards you can earn by playing the content).

Those are both pull quotes from here: https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/linsey-murdock-unveils-new-high-end-ascended-gear/

So basically they have said themselves that this is just the beginning of the never ending treadmill and as the guy a few posts up said, when they obsolete this stuff, they will give it away via other means (ie: complimentary Ascended and Legendary items)

Thelgar.7214

Well then you’re here protesting changes aren’t you because you want the game not to change …Right!

So if you’re here expressing an opinion then your fighting for what you believe to be the right course for the game is ….Right?

All I’m saying is Arena Net has their reasons they see this change as being needed, and you have your reasons you want it to stay the same as it is ….as I do, but we are not getting anywhere are we?

I’m trying to find a compromise here…. https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/gw2/How-to-win-me-back-a-simple-compromise/first#post770150

Your compromise doesn’t address time. Multiple avenues that take the same excessive amount of time don’t really fix things. Gradually, if you can’t grind hardcore in whatever way, you’ll fall behind. Actually, gradually at first, then exponentially, you’ll fall behind.

Posted by: agushushga.8130

agushushga.8130

Hey guys, I’ve been following this thread since yesterday and I really appreciate all of you opening my eyes to the real issue with ascended gear. When I first heard about it I was ready to uninstall there and then, I have no interest in the gear treadmill what-so-ever and never have. GW1 was the only other online game I’ve stuck with and that’s because it was so easy to jump back into after a long time away. I was hoping the same would be said about this game but they’ve just killed it for me with one patch.

I didn’t realize that stronger infusions were going to be added in the future, which would continue the grind indefinitely. So I would like to thank you guys for making my decision to uninstall the game much easier. I will keep an eye on the forums and if they decide to reverse or fix the changes I will return. If not, there are plenty of other MMOs on the horizon that are looking promising for players of my ilk.

Posted by: John Lucier.5486

John Lucier.5486

Real players? Good luck geting anything changed if you’re going to start throwing people with other play styles under the bus. I don’t WvWvW. I PVE. I build alts. I explore. This change affects PVE players that aren’t hardcore grinders as much as it does WvWvW players.

Better gear means faster killing, which means more money. In events, that means more money for the people with ascended gear and less for those without it.

Which means prices on the TP go up to match the players with the higher stat gear, so they get more high stat gear, and all the best skins and pretty much everything else. Because not only can the other players not match the higher stat players income, they’ll actually be making less in an event than they did before.

Run events with a character in rares, then the same character in exotics and see the difference in the number of drops you end up with.

And those areas to explore? They’re getting adjusted to compensate for the new gear, so the players that don’t hardcore grind get the fun of those becoming a miserable slog.

A. it wasnt throwing anyone under the bus. It was targeted at alot of us that only do wvwvw that will quit

B. Your events and stuff can be completed in blues, so you have a LOT less to complain about. You fight 1 mob, or run the dungeon, when you fight that mob/run the dungeon again nothing will change, just like WoW.

C. With B in mind, you aren’t going to have to worry about that same mob youve been fighting is now going to be doing 20-50% more damage to you or having 20-50% more tank because of the new gear like a wwvw pvper will, going up against people that are just wow locusts that will dungeon farm and then roll into wvwvw because they can only win with stat increases.

Posted by: Arreyanne.2683

Arreyanne.2683

@Ditrah

My beef with this is that they stated "ALL NEW UPDATES AND CONTENT " will based off Ascended Gear

Hmmm guess what to do anything after this you’ll need guess what

“ASCENDED GEAR”