Thoughts on GW2 so far.

Thoughts on GW2 so far.

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Cowrex.9564

Cowrex.9564

Attention to all the GW2 players (Especially those who were playing since the beta), what are your thoughts on Guild Wars 2 so far? Is the game good? Is it average? Is it disappointing? Is it evolutionary? Anything will do just as long as you input what you think.

Give a man fire, he will be warm, set a man on fire, he will be warm forever! …or dead…

Thoughts on GW2 so far.

Posted by: Rizzy.8293

Rizzy.8293

Revolutionary not evolutionary.

thoughts: Meh, nothing new.
No trinity = Good, dont have to waste time looking for healer.
No Dungeon Finder = Seriously? Now I have to waste time looking for group.
WvWvW = Should be renamed Zerg Vs Zerg
Nerf = Stop nerfing thiefs kitten people lern2play, they’re easy enough to kill solo, fix the engineers.
PVE = No real content aside from Personal Story.
Gear Grind = Pre ascended I’d say awesome gear grinding is a chore no one should have to go through that, Post Ascended. Seriously. -.- What happened to adding armour skins as something people would feel like, hey that looks nice, imma get it.

I give a 6/10

So much more potential but its being squandered.

Thoughts on GW2 so far.

Posted by: Paul.4081

Paul.4081

It was amazing in the first couple of months but the Nov 15th loot n3rf killed the game for me and it took so long to address or even get a worthwhile response that I don’t think I’ll ever re-install. I keep checking the forums for a faint glimmer of hope that will make me want to get back into the game but with every patch all I see is disappointment

Thoughts on GW2 so far.

Posted by: Naus the Gobbo.5172

Naus the Gobbo.5172

GWII is the most enjoyable game I have ever played.

That’s all I have to say.

What we do in life echoes in eternity
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T6zkT2uZAGA – GW2 – A world of wonder

Thoughts on GW2 so far.

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

I think it’s got the foundation to be a great MMO at some point. It’s not a great MMO yet, because there are flaws that prevent it from being a great MMO. A lot depends on what you expect from your MMO though.

Flaws and all this is still the best MMO for my play style of any I’ve ever played, and I’ve played a bunch.

I think a lot of people don’t realize that a 7 month old MMO is going to take a lot of time to develop into something really big. Until then, there’s a lot of filler content that just keeps people playing. That’s the downside.

The upside is that it’s a beautiful world, the PVe is more cooperative than competitive, the WvW is a lot of fun, even if some people think it’s just zerg vs. zerg (I have fun there and I hardly ever zerg).

By and large the people most disappointed with the game are the PVPers and the competitive raider types. By and large the people least disappointed with the game are people who are looking for a bunch of fun things to do without being led around by the nose. It’s a journey game rather than a destination game.

I like it a lot. One day I’ll probably love it.

Thoughts on GW2 so far.

Posted by: shadowsoul.2134

shadowsoul.2134

It’s a very good game…
…but you should give some “in world” reward from sPVP and make some adjustment at WvW. It’s necessary!

Thoughts on GW2 so far.

Posted by: Solid Gold.9310

Solid Gold.9310

It’s OKish, there’s nothing new here that hasn’t been done before.

Limited playability before you get bored.

5/10

Jumping puzzles, love them or hate them, I hate them. Thread killer.

Thoughts on GW2 so far.

Posted by: Morrigan.2809

Morrigan.2809

I love GW2 and I think it is a great game.
I like the world and I enjoy exploring it, different classes make for a whole new experience, heck even just a different build is interesting to me.

I like the fact that I can set my own goals and that I can play as much or as little as I have time for and still have fun and achieve what I want.

I seriously love the combat, it is so fluid and I like the fact that we do not have a trinity- imo it makes for more interesting situations because you can adapt and switch roles very fast.

I feel we need a bit more variety in skins at this point but I enjoy getting the perfect look for each of my characters.

I like the community in game and have met some great, fun people.

Those are my thoughts on the subject and yes I have been playing since the Betas

Gunnar’s Hold

Thoughts on GW2 so far.

Posted by: alfik.8423

alfik.8423

Alright, so I bought GW2 a few weeks ago, played it for some time and haven’t touched it since (yet I visit the forums from time to time, just out of pure curiosity). Now this is from the perspective of a person who hasn’t got past level 25.

What I like:
- eye candy graphics. I don’t think there’s anything more to say here
- the general idea of questing through exploration. Really nice in theory, but execution is a bit off imo
- no monthly fee

What I don’t like:
- combat (especially in PvP). Without roles it seems a bit shallow. Being limited to 10 abilities only makes the feeling stronger. Moreover, almost all the abilities are about dealing damage. The lack of utility stuff makes combat a “spam your kitten at the enemy” experience. I rather have the combat mechanics complex and clear, than spammy and chaotic.
- questing. I found it exceptionally boring. The idea of leveling through exploration is a great one… but in GW2 it’s just crap. All in all, it ends up as “kill this and gather this”. The lack of any story in most quests only makes it even more boring. At level 25 I was dead tired already. Exploration isn’t where it should be either. People should explore out of curiosity, not because the game tells them to by showing points of interest on the map. So instead of “I wonder what’s this way. Ima explore” it’s all “Oh… there’s a point of interest in there. kitten… I bet there will be some quest and vista”. In the end it’s very predictable (exploration should NOT be predictable) and annoying.
- WvWvW and PvP in general. As someone in this thread has stated already, it feels more like Zerg vs Zerg vs Zerg. I suppose it goes well with the “spam all your kitten when it’s out of cooldown” combat idea, but I personally didn’t like it one bit. The general theory of a big map with lots of stuff to do is great, but the way it actually plays is a huge kittenblock. The lack of world PvP makes the open world experience suffer like hell. Now I know one might say “but you have WvWvW with a huge world where you can PvP”. This is not the point. The lack of SPONTANEOUS PvP in the world makes it so bland and shallow. It really adds a whole new layer of gameplay and spice when you have to be on your toes while doing questing, gathering resources and “exploring”. But it seems that the entire design of Guild Wars 2 was based around something entirely different – a simple and non-hostile experience where you can just log in for 30 minutes, do some stuff and not get absorbed by the game.
- lore and music. I suppose this is more subjective than the others. I just find Tyria so… bland and boring. It’s your generic mmo fantasy world, there is ABSOLUTELY nothing interesting in it. The races, places and everything – it all seems to be so uninspired. I had the same feeling when playing Rift. TERRIBLE voice acting, pathetic and pretentious personal stories only add to the effect. Apparently even Jeremy Soule gave in to the overwhelming dullness – as much as he tried to make the game sound epic… it sounds just pathetic.

Now I didn’t mean to sound like a hater. It just confuses me a bit that everyone drool to GW2 so much, while in my eyes the game is just bad… It’s not even that “not my kind of game” thing… the game is just BAD. I’d give it a 5/10 tops.

Edit: kitten #8230; this is a bit longer than intended. Also “shallows” and “blands” everywhere

(edited by alfik.8423)

Thoughts on GW2 so far.

Posted by: Rizzy.8293

Rizzy.8293

Alright, so I bought GW2 a few weeks ago, played it for some time and haven’t touched it since (yet I visit the forums from time to time, just out of pure curiosity). Now this is from the perspective of a person who hasn’t got past level 25.

What I like:
- eye candy graphics. I don’t think there’s anything more to say here
- the general idea of questing through exploration. Really nice in theory, but execution is a bit off imo
- no monthly fee

What I don’t like:
- combat (especially in PvP). Without roles it seems a bit shallow. Being limited to 10 abilities only makes the feeling stronger. Moreover, almost all the abilities are about dealing damage. The lack of utility stuff makes combat a “spam your kitten at the enemy” experience. I rather have the combat mechanics complex and clear, than spammy and chaotic.
- questing. I found it exceptionally boring. The idea of leveling through exploration is a great one… but in GW2 it’s just crap. All in all, it ends up as “kill this and gather this”. The lack of any story in most quests only makes it even more boring. At level 25 I was dead tired already. Exploration isn’t where it should be either. People should explore out of curiosity, not because the game tells them to by showing points of interest on the map. So instead of “I wonder what’s this way. Ima explore” it’s all “Oh… there’s a point of interest in there. kitten… I bet there will be some quest and vista”. In the end it’s very predictable (exploration should NOT be predictable) and annoying.
- WvWvW and PvP in general. As someone in this thread has stated already, it feels more like Zerg vs Zerg vs Zerg. I suppose it goes well with the “spam all your kitten when it’s out of cooldown” combat idea, but I personally didn’t like it one bit. The general theory of a big map with lots of stuff to do is great, but the way it actually plays is a huge kittenblock. The lack of world PvP makes the open world experience suffer like hell. Now I know one might say “but you have WvWvW with a huge world where you can PvP”. This is not the point. The lack of SPONTANEOUS PvP in the world makes it so bland and shallow. It really adds a whole new layer of gameplay and spice when you have to be on your toes while doing questing, gathering resources and “exploring”. But it seems that the entire design of Guild Wars 2 was based around something entirely different – a simple and non-hostile experience where you can just log in for 30 minutes, do some stuff and not get absorbed by the game.
- lore and music. I suppose this is more subjective than the others. I just find Tyria so… bland and boring. It’s your generic mmo fantasy world, there is ABSOLUTELY nothing interesting in it. The races, places and everything – it all seems to be so uninspired. I had the same feeling when playing Rift. TERRIBLE voice acting, pathetic and pretentious personal stories only add the the effect. Apparently even Jeremy Soule gave in to the overwhelming dullness – as much as he tried to make the game sound epic… it sounds just pathetic.

Now I didn’t mean to sound like a hater. It just confuses me a bit that everyone drool to GW2 so much, while in my eyes the game is just bad… It’s not even that “not my kind of game” thing… the game is just BAD. I’d give it a 5/10 tops.

Edit: kitten .. this is a bit longer than intended

The lack of dueling is also what gets to me.
People dont learn to hone in their skills , they begin to rely on numbers.

This isn’t the first guildwars where such a big pvp map like Fort Aspenwood ends up with a good possibility that you end up fighting 1 v 1.

WvW everyone goes in with the mentality, safety in numbers and its pretty obvious.

INB4: Go to sPVP to duel noob.
No.
sPVP dueling and WvW combat are different.
sPVP uses standardized gear
WvW uses your PVE gear

Thoughts on GW2 so far.

Vayne.8563

I find the exploring comment here interesting. People shouldn’t make a checklist of stuff to explore. I agree.

So turn off your map markers and explore without them. You can you know. I didn’t play this game like a checklist, and I’m enjoying it a lot more than I would if I left those map markers on.

I’ve completed entire zones with all the map markers off. It’s far more challenging, but it’s fun for me anyway.

Thoughts on GW2 so far.

Posted by: alfik.8423

alfik.8423

There’s one thing I forgot to add that bothers me a lot as well.

There is no sense of progression of your character (which is one of the most important things in a mmorpg, if not the most important). I had access to almost all the abilities at level 25 (except the elite ones). Makes me feel that there would be no progress during the other 55 levels, just bigger numbers.

Thoughts on GW2 so far.

Posted by: zenleto.6179

zenleto.6179

I find the exploring comment here interesting. People shouldn’t make a checklist of stuff to explore. I agree.

So turn off your map markers and explore without them. You can you know. I didn’t play this game like a checklist, and I’m enjoying it a lot more than I would if I left those map markers on.

I’ve completed entire zones with all the map markers off. It’s far more challenging, but it’s fun for me anyway.

This is a very good idea. I don’t checklist my exploration but I reckon I’ll do this anyway.

As for the topic – I’ve only been playing since the first week of January and I’ll be hanging around for a while. I enjoy the sandbox feel. Not the same as the first incarnation of SWG but good enough.

Anybody who thinks Anet are breaking the game never played SWG.

Fire up the Hyperbowl ma, we’re going to town!

Would you like some hard cheeze with your sad whine?

Thoughts on GW2 so far.

Vayne.8563

There’s one thing I forgot to add that bothers me a lot as well.

There is no sense of progression of your character (which is one of the most important things in a mmorpg, if not the most important). I had access to almost all the abilities at level 25 (except the elite ones). Makes me feel that there would be no progress during the other 55 levels, just bigger numbers.

I guess you don’t count traits as progression. It might depend on the profession. Some trait are hugely important to the power of your character. Bomb kits that heal allies for the engineer or give you regeneration for example, are very helpful. Necro wells that pulse and steal life, the same. But you can’t get them till you’re in the higher levels.

In fact, you can’t really complete the best builds until you’re a higher level. Unlocking skills is only part of the build. Unlocking traits can make a vast difference.