Thoughts on a new death mechanic?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: cesmode.4257

cesmode.4257

Hi,
Curious what people would think if GW2 suddenly had a mechanic in game where once you are dead(not downed but dead), you can spend real $$ to pick yourself up again.

Example: You are in a dungeon, engaged a boss. You die. Either your teammates stop to rez you , which we all know can be treacherous and difficult, or you spend like 3 dollars on a rez and instantly pop back up. These cash-bought rezzes would be bought via the gem store. It is similar to the revive orb, but no rez sickness and no movement impairment and you come up with full HP.

Would you approve of something like this in game? Or do you think it borders the pay to win realm?

Edit: I would not support this. I personally think it teeters on the cusp of Pay to Win. Just curious what ya’ll think.

Karma is as abundant as air, and as useless as the Kardashians.

(edited by cesmode.4257)

cesmode.4257

Addition: This is a system that is in the game Warframe. In Warframe, you are given 4 lives per day. If you use them all up, and die again, you lose all your progress in the current mission as well as any items you collect.

For those of you that don’t know, in warframe materials gathering is everything as is crafting. So comparing a guy that spent $$ on more lives vs someone who didn’t…the guy who didnt loses everything if he dies where the person who bought more lives continues on.

Pay to win? Would this work in GW2? Would you buy this if it were in the gem store?

Posted by: zenleto.6179

zenleto.6179

I’m not sure I like this idea much, smells a little of P2w. Lets not have more of that controversy lol.

However, I am going to have use Death Mechanic somewhere.

( Bah! I already have four engineers, don’t need to make a fifth.)

Fire up the Hyperbowl ma, we’re going to town!

Would you like some hard cheeze with your sad whine?

(edited by zenleto.6179)

Posted by: Diviner.7405

Diviner.7405

You answered your own question. Revive Orbs.

/End of Topic

cesmode.4257

You answered your own question. Revive Orbs.

/End of Topic

Not quite. Revive orbs take time and place a movement impairment on you. If you use a revive orb, it takes 30 seconds to a minute or whatever, and then you limp off to the side and most likely get picked off by the boss anyways.

What I mentioned in the OP was an instant revival, no movement impairment(and I
should have mentioned full hp.

/topic open.

Edit: I modified original post.

Posted by: Aeonblade.8709

Aeonblade.8709

I don’t think adding more stuff that is debated as a P2W item would be a good idea at this point with the debate on the game being P2W already at boiling point.

It would probably make them some money though, but I can’t say I support any more P2W items personally.

Anarai Aeonblade [GASM] – Guardian – DB
RIP my fair Engi and Ranger, you will be missed.

cesmode.4257

I agree, I dont support it either, and I dont like this idea. Just curious if people would like it in GW2.

I wouldnt like it.

Posted by: rozcinana.7249

rozcinana.7249

I don’t think it would fly, definitely feels P2W.

cesmode.4257

Curious to see what a dev thinks on something like this.

Or, even if the benefits of the pay to rez mechanic in the topic here is different than a revive orb, are they essentially the same? Are they both teetering on pay to win?

Posted by: Diviner.7405

Diviner.7405

This topic is not about how you want some instant revive. Instead, the topic is about how much you hate Revive Orbs and the negative impacts about them.

You do not like the mechanics, that is fine, but the topic is kind of null since they will not change the mechanic of revive orbs.

Live with it.

Posted by: Majic.4801

Majic.4801

Heck, why not just offer to kill the boss for a few dollars more?

“Not the same, real and true. True you feel inside.
Always follow what is true.” — Sentry-skritt Bordekka

Posted by: ProxyDamage.9826

ProxyDamage.9826

dot dot dot

As for Warframe-style, what’s the point of suggesting something you’re so heavily against from the start? I mean, it’s pretty evident that Warframe’s system is fundamentally stupid… Warframe isn’t exactly a fantastic game… No, I don’t want it here…

cesmode.4257

dot dot dot

As for Warframe-style, what’s the point of suggesting something you’re so heavily against from the start? I mean, it’s pretty evident that Warframe’s system is fundamentally stupid… Warframe isn’t exactly a fantastic game… No, I don’t want it here…

Read the above post buddy. Warframe death mechanic is not the same as the revive orb.

Also, this is a forum isnt it? Im creating a discussion to see if ppl would want it in GW2 and if it would work in a game like GW2.

Posted by: bobomb.5209

bobomb.5209

Maybe an “Elite Revive Orb” that does what you specified, but can only be used in PvE. I can Arena Net doing this. But as for PaytoWin? It would be completely unfair in any other gamemode besides PvE. Is it pay to win in PvE? Who cares, who are you beating NPC’s? No one cares that you spent a little money to have an advantage in a boss fight that could save the fight. Would you REALLY complain if someone on your team used a revive orb, revived all of your dead team mates, and basically gave your fight a second wind? No you wouldn’t and if you would, you would only be saying that to try to prove me wrong, which you won’t.

Posted by: Aeonblade.8709

Aeonblade.8709

Maybe an “Elite Revive Orb” that does what you specified, but can only be used in PvE. I can Arena Net doing this. But as for PaytoWin? It would be completely unfair in any other gamemode besides PvE. Is it pay to win in PvE? Who cares who are you beating NPC’s? No one cares that you spent a little money to have an advantage in a boss fight that could save the fight. Would you REALLY complain if someone on your team used a revive orb, revived all of your dead team mates, and basically gave your fight a second wind? No you wouldn’t and if you would you would only be saying that to prove me wrong, which you wouldn’t.

There’s a lot of assumptions being made here, the whole point of P2W in this game revolves around PvE anyway, because most of the game is centered in PvE. Basically, it would be them saying “Well, you aren’t skilled enough to beat this boss, but if you give us $3, we’ll beat it for you.”

Reeks of P2W.

Anarai Aeonblade [GASM] – Guardian – DB
RIP my fair Engi and Ranger, you will be missed.

cesmode.4257

Maybe an “Elite Revive Orb” that does what you specified, but can only be used in PvE. I can Arena Net doing this. But as for PaytoWin? It would be completely unfair in any other gamemode besides PvE. Is it pay to win in PvE? Who cares who are you beating NPC’s? No one cares that you spent a little money to have an advantage in a boss fight that could save the fight. Would you REALLY complain if someone on your team used a revive orb, revived all of your dead team mates, and basically gave your fight a second wind? No you wouldn’t and if you would, you would only be saying that to try to prove me wrong, which you won’t.

True, very true.
stirring the pot here to further a discussion

Unless you consider the incoming fractal leaderboard…if guilds are trying to compete there, and Guild A has a full stock of these elite revive orbs, and Guild B doesnt..Guild B is at a slight disadvantage.

bobomb.5209

[/quote]

True, very true.
stirring the pot here to further a discussion

Unless you consider the incoming fractal leaderboard…if guilds are trying to compete there, and Guild A has a full stock of these elite revive orbs, and Guild B doesnt..Guild B is at a slight disadvantage.

[/quote]

Also true but that would only matter if you received a reward from being on the top of those leaderboards(which their will be I’m sure). So this means that Arena Net should disable revive orbs entirely from Fractals. That is if you are attempting to do the leaderboard. A compromise could be reached though, surely. Maybe disabling Revive Orbs after a certain level cap has been reached? If you are attempting to do above level 40’s then yes, I believe Revive Orbs should be disabled.

bobomb.5209

Maybe an “Elite Revive Orb” that does what you specified, but can only be used in PvE. I can Arena Net doing this. But as for PaytoWin? It would be completely unfair in any other gamemode besides PvE. Is it pay to win in PvE? Who cares who are you beating NPC’s? No one cares that you spent a little money to have an advantage in a boss fight that could save the fight. Would you REALLY complain if someone on your team used a revive orb, revived all of your dead team mates, and basically gave your fight a second wind? No you wouldn’t and if you would you would only be saying that to prove me wrong, which you wouldn’t.

There’s a lot of assumptions being made here, the whole point of P2W in this game revolves around PvE anyway, because most of the game is centered in PvE. Basically, it would be them saying “Well, you aren’t skilled enough to beat this boss, but if you give us $3, we’ll beat it for you.”

Reeks of P2W.

A lot of assumptions are being made because there is no REAL conflict to be discussing, a conflict with actual facts. But my original point still stands. Does anyone care that you payed money to beat a boss? No and also think about this for one second. If you are using a Revive Orb to get yourself back up because your team is almost wiped out, lets say there are two of your team mates left? In this scenario you have revived and proceed to help. BAM! You just died AGAIN because you couldn’t stay alive. You didn’t pay to beat the boss, you didn’t pay to make him easier. So what exactly did you pay for? You didn’t pay to win. You paid for another chance. but you failed. This is not to say that you HAVE to win in order for it to be Pay to Win (well you do have to win but just bear with me). So the question is, is what does the Revive Orb do? Cause anything being “Pay to Win” is based entirely on the object in question. The Orb would not do the following.
1.) Would not revive your entire team.
2.) Would not revive you instantly.
3.) Would not grant you a one-hit KO pass against the boss.
4.) Would not grant you a larger damage modifier to do “Moar deeps” against said boss.
5.) Especially would NOT guarantee you the boss fight.
What does the current revive orb do?
1.) Takes awhile to revive you, being vulnerable to damage being applied to the players avatar continuously.
2.) Once revived you are applied a massive movement impairment.
3.) Can die in one hit till the timer goes out.
What would you get with an upgraded Revive Orb?
1.) Instant revival
2.) No movement impairment
3.) No health impairment
So you get these extra bonuses as a result of paying more cash. BUT you can BUY gems with IN-GAME GOLD. Soooooooo definition of Pay to Win? You MUST pay to WIN at its basest definition. It can also be defined as an item that grants a player an advantage over other players. Again fighting NPC’s, helps the whole team, and has drawbacks with less drawbacks resulting in spending more cash/gold.

Posted by: zenleto.6179

zenleto.6179

Read the above post buddy. Warframe death mechanic is not the same as the revive orb.

Also, this is a forum isnt it? Im creating a discussion to see if ppl would want it in GW2 and if it would work in a game like GW2.

I’ll do the massive red circle around the obvious and spell it out, since you clearly missed it:

There is a “revive for money” mechanic in the game already. It’s very, very, limited for a reason. The reason it’s not the same as Warframe’s because Warframe’s is kittening kittened. Which is why it’s not in this game. Because it’s stupid. This game already looked at it, decided they wanted something-sort-of-like-that, and did revive orbs. Which aren’t Warframe style, because that’s stupid. But that’s Warframe. Warframe is essentially just vertical progression with a “milk it” cash shop. Warframe. Not GW2. Again, stupid.

We good? Good.

You might want to frame this for if/when Anet (or whoever pulls the strings) want Cesmode’s subject matter in the game. Or a version of.

Fire up the Hyperbowl ma, we’re going to town!

Would you like some hard cheeze with your sad whine?

Posted by: Rouven.7409

Rouven.7409

I’m thinking … I’m not even going to look at this wargame. Saved me time, thanks!

“Whose Kitten is this?” – “It’s a Charr baby.”
“Whose Charr is this?”- “Ted’s.”
“Who’s Ted?”- “Ted’s dead, baby. Ted’s dead.”

bobomb.5209

I played it for a bit myself, it was OK but I didn’t see anything special about it. And it was pretty cash heavy in terms of cash shop items.

Posted by: TheDaiBish.9735

TheDaiBish.9735

Pro’s

• If heavy limitations are placed on how many can be used and where it can be used (say, one per boss fight in a single dungeon), it can give people who died for reasons beyond their control (say, a lag spike) a second chance.

Con’s

• It’s still toeing the line even with heavy limitations places.
  • Poorly implemented, they’d be well within the realm of P2W. For example, being in WvW, you get killed in the keep, then use this item when they go, and suddenly you can portal a group of people in.
Life is a journey.
Time is a river.
The door is ajar.

bobomb.5209

Pro’s

• If heavy limitations are placed on how many can be used and where it can be used (say, one per boss fight in a single dungeon), it can give people who died for reasons beyond their control (say, a lag spike) a second chance.

Con’s

• Poorly implemented, they’d be well within the realm of P2W. For example, being in WvW, you get killed in the keep, then use this item when they go, and suddenly you can portal a group of people in.

The Revive Orb can only be used in PvE. The proposed “Revive Orb” would only be different in that it would not apply the heavy limitations. It would still not be applicable in PvP, or WvW. Only PvE

TheDaiBish.9735

Pro’s

Con’s

The Revive Orb can only be used in PvE. The proposed “Revive Orb” would only be different in that it would not apply the heavy limitations. It would still not be applicable in PvP, or WvW. Only PvE

I know about the current Revive Orb.

Also, OP doesn’t state where the theoretical item could and can’t be used, or anything else about the item (such as usage and cooldown). That’s why I stated how it could be useful and made not open to exploitation, and how it could be poorly implemented.

Life is a journey.
Time is a river.
The door is ajar.

bobomb.5209

Hi,

It is similar to the revive orb, but no rez sickness and no movement impairment and you come up with full HP.

bobomb.5209

Sometimes what is not said is just as important as what is said.

TheDaiBish.9735

Sometimes what is not said is just as important as what is said.

I guess I should read it through three times next time :P

My apologies.

Life is a journey.
Time is a river.
The door is ajar.

Posted by: JustTrogdor.7892

JustTrogdor.7892

My solution to all this is I just don’t die.

The Burninator

bobomb.5209

My solution to all this is I just don’t die.

Words of wisdom here. But we can’t all be as kitten as you.