Thoughts on new dungeons end boss?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Grandmaster Lee.9568

Grandmaster Lee.9568

Well technically 2 end bosses but whatever. How did you guys like the fight? Did you find it fair? And for any Dark Souls fans out there, did you get the Smough and Ornstein vibe like I did when fighting them? =P

Posted by: Valinerya.6713

Valinerya.6713

I found the end bosses to be fair.

First time through my group took down the flying fire guy first, second time through we took down the berzerker first. The second boss plays VERY differently depending which of the two dies first!

I thoroughly enjoyed the fight. For the first time, I felt like I needed to actually THINK during a boss fight. I had to keep moving, watch the environment around me, watch my team mates, and watch the boss, all while watching my health and my pet’s health. Dungeons which require situational awareness are a big favourite of mine, as are bosses with interesting mechanics.

I haven’t gotten far enough in Dark Souls to make a comparison – I keep getting my ahem handed to me

Posted by: mies backfire.9286

mies backfire.9286

I’d be surprised if there wasn’t at least some bit of inspiration from Dark Souls when making that. The fight was absolutely perfect in my opinion. Each of the bosses had a good amount of HP and a nice deal of attacks to keep you moving. It took us about three times to learn the patterns and beat them, but it was more fun than frustrating. I really wish they’d introduce more bosses like this because I could easily call this the best boss fight in the game right now.

Also, try playing the Smough & Ornstein music next time you fight them. It matches incredibly well.

Posted by: Conncept.7638

Conncept.7638

Awesome fight, we wiped twice, changed up our strategy, then pulled together and took it down the third time. Two people in the group were pugs too, so this wasn’t a perfectly coordinated group (something far too many bosses require, and a completely inane expectation on part of the developers). They need to make more bosses like this one.

(edited by Conncept.7638)

Posted by: panzer.6034

panzer.6034

Not too bad. Second time i ran it, i was the only one in the group that had done it before and my only advice was to kill MF first and dodge a lot. We did it without wiping.

Valinerya.6713

Two people in the group were pugs too, so this wasn’t a perfectly coordinated group (something some of the bosses require, and which is a completely inane expectation on part of the developers).

I did both runs today with complete PUGs, and while it was no cakewalk, it is perfectly doable with a little communication. The final fight does need a bit of talking with your team mates, but groups should HAVE to talk to one another, especially if people are dying left and right. Dungeons are supposed to be a group effort, and Molten Facility is just difficult enough to remind players that saying more than “Hello” is required when in a dungeon.

ETA: They definitely DO need to make more fun bosses like this one

Posted by: Vargs.6234

Vargs.6234

It’s a good fight, but the temporary nature of the content and lack of incentive to run it again makes it difficult to care. Seems like a waste of a good encounter.

Posted by: Conncept.7638

Conncept.7638

Two people in the group were pugs too, so this wasn’t a perfectly coordinated group (something some of the bosses require, and which is a completely inane expectation on part of the developers).

I did both runs today with complete PUGs, and while it was no cakewalk, it is perfectly doable with a little communication. The final fight does need a bit of talking with your team mates, but groups should HAVE to talk to one another, especially if people are dying left and right. Dungeons are supposed to be a group effort, and Molten Facility is just difficult enough to remind players that saying more than “Hello” is required when in a dungeon.

Well I didn’t say that, I said it doesn’t require a perfectly coordinated group. Some of the games dungeon bosses just can’t be done except by repeaters who have been carried through before, or people who have played together enough to reach a higher level of coordination than five random strangers possibly could. This boss, in my opinion, hits the perfect area, it’s challenging and requires everyone to play as a group, but doesn’t require a group to play like a trained Navy Seals team.

Valinerya.6713

Well I didn’t say that, I said it doesn’t require a perfectly coordinated group. Some of the games dungeon bosses just can’t be done except by repeaters who have been carried through before, or people who have played together enough to reach a higher level of coordination than five random strangers possibly could. This boss, in my opinion, hits the perfect area, it’s challenging and requires everyone to play as a group, but doesn’t require a group to play like a trained Navy Seals team.

Gotcha, and sorry for misunderstanding. I totally agree with you on the difficulty level – it hits that “sweet spot” of being tough, but not TOO tough. It reminds me of dungeons I used to run in another game (not WoW) where I felt the devs had given the players an engaging, exciting encounter, regardless of how many times I had run it.

Molten Facility is one of those dungeons where I could see myself running it time after time again and not getting bored of it quickly.