Thoughts on open world pvp?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: edgarallanpwn.8739

edgarallanpwn.8739

TO BE SPECIFIC, this would be outside of WvW and Arena. I’m talking about like Map PvP.

I like the concept and the fun it create, i also understand it creates camping and unfun “questing” etc.
I have a possible solution that exists in other MMO’s. What are your thoughts on a toggleable pvp option?

This would allow those who want to “flag” themselves to do so, and those who don’t…nothing would change.

This forces players who want to PvP while questing and exploring to manually choose to do so. In this way if they get griefed, or camped, or run into trouble, they choose this option and accept full responsibility.

What about actual GUILD WARS. Not structured PvP, not WvW but Guild Vs Guild wars in open pvp combined with the above toggle, but as an entire guild.

In other games there are faction/guild/clan wars in the sense that you would be enabled to attack a person from X clan/guild at anytime, anywhere, if both parties agreed to the “guild war”. This would make pvp specific guilds a bit more interesting too IMO

(edited by edgarallanpwn.8739)

Posted by: RoseofGilead.8907

RoseofGilead.8907

No, it doesn’t exist, and it probably won’t ever exist (and I’m so very much OK with it never existing).

Posted by: JustTrogdor.7892

JustTrogdor.7892

OP here is a very recent and now closed thread on the topic. Happy reading:

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/gw2/would-you-like-PVP-in-PVE/

The Burninator

Posted by: Andred.1087

Andred.1087

It is requested fairly regularly, along with PvE dueling, but every thread results in a large stream of firm NO’s. That horse has been dead so long only the bones remain.

“You’ll PAY to know what you really think.” ~ J. R. “Bob” Dobbs

Posted by: sorudo.9054

sorudo.9054

so let me finish this with a known respond.
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Posted by: pupi.2465

pupi.2465

The grand majority Gw2 community are afraid of PvP.

Posted by: PaxTheGreatOne.9472

PaxTheGreatOne.9472

well that horse has been dead so long and beaten so long te bones are here but only in the tiniest of pieces. even less then t1 bone…. a splinter of bone….

No PvP in PvE,if you want it go WvW, if you think it’s unfair or to big scaled : PvP

I posted before a person with full ascended will have 15,7% advantage over exotic users and 34% over ppl still in rares, not countin stacks, might and food, allowing for well over 1500 power advantage over other playerswearing the same type of stats and…. Who don’t care for PvP when playing, else they would have gone PvP or WvW in the first place…

23 lvl 80’s, 9 times map, 4ele, 4ncr, 3war, 3grd, 3rgr, 2thf, 2msm, 1eng, 1 rev.
Been There, Done That & Will do it again…except maybe world completion.

(edited by PaxTheGreatOne.9472)

Posted by: CMM.6712

CMM.6712

More like allergic to toxicity.

Posted by: Beldin.5498

Beldin.5498

I like the concept and the fun it create, i also understand it creates camping and unfun “questing” etc.

The fun is only on side of the school bullys that like to grief other players and jump
in their back when they are already nearly dead from fighting against mobs.

So NO .. for the 10.000th time.

These games may work in Korea, but not in the west.

EVERY MMO is awesome until it is released then its unfinished. A month after release it just sucks.
Best MMOs are the ones that never make it. Therefore Stargate Online wins.

Posted by: IndigoSundown.5419

IndigoSundown.5419

Here are some facts:

• GW2 PvE is built to be cooperative play; open PvP in PvE is competitive. The design concepts don’t mix.
  • Western MMO’s that offer PvP servers are all built to support that feature, and have factions which are enemies. GW2 does not have those factions.
  • WvW fills a similar niche. There are factions there. There are PvE-like objectives (mobs, tasks to complete, looking over one’s shoulder while doing so is a good idea, etc.).
  • ANet has periodically put in incentives to get players into WvW. The most recent example is the daily changes. Open PvP in PvE would likely detract from WvW.

All of this means that it is highly unlikely you will ever see what you’re asking for.

Posted by: Zergs.9715

Zergs.9715

I don’t mind it either way because I love pve and pvp, but I do mind being under a blanket statement of “toxicity”. I’ve met plenty of honorable pvp players and what gw2 community is most afraid of is “vocal minority”.

@Beldin
And wouldn’t it be a glorious day if you defeated that bully and sent him packing instead of cowering in your parallel universe. Nothing against you personally, but strongly against your attitude. There’s a worse things out there than dieing in a video game.

I’d actually like to see other servers breaking through the Mists and invading my world. At least that would give us all the common goal.

Posted by: silvermember.8941

silvermember.8941

The grand majority are afraid of noobs in better gear griefing players. It also doesn’t hurt that games with open world PvP tend to be toxic and usually end dying faster than games without it.

If you want to kill players play spvp.

As u know im pro. ~Tomonobu Itagaki

This is an mmo forum, if someone isn’t whining chances are the game is dead.

Posted by: Ashen.2907

Ashen.2907

The fun is only on side of the school bullys that like to grief other players and jump

And here is an example that makes me wonder if the toxicity ad griefing might be not on the side of the PvPers after all. Calling the OP a school bully for expressing an opinion and asking a question ?

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

You don’t have to be afraid of PvP to find it stupid or annoying. Some of us play games for things like, I don’t know, say story.

Story comes from fighting AI, not random people who think that an RPG is about pwning someone.

Posted by: Nidome.1365

Nidome.1365

I fail to see any fun being created for anyone except for gankers and griefers.

PvE areas are there for people to PvE without having to worry about gankers and griefers. The moment you introduce open world PvE you lose more players than you gain. This is a fact and is attested to by the demise of games whose developers listened to suggestions such as this.

If you want to fight other players there are already WvW and PvP modes available in the game which cater to this.

Posted by: silvermember.8941

silvermember.8941

I don’t mind it either way because I love pve and pvp, but I do mind being under a blanket statement of “toxicity”. I’ve met plenty of honorable pvp players and what gw2 community is most afraid of is “vocal minority”.

@Beldin
And wouldn’t it be a glorious day if you defeated that bully and sent him packing instead of cowering in your parallel universe. Nothing against you personally, but strongly against your attitude. There’s a worse things out there than dieing in a video game.

I’d actually like to see other servers breaking through the Mists and invading my world. At least that would give us all the common goal.

Exact that many more players would be negatively impacted by this bully. Also another way to avoid having bullys, is to simply develop a system that negatives their existence, a good example of that is NOT having open world PvP.

And here is an example that makes me wonder if the toxicity ad griefing might be not on the side of the PvPers after all. Calling the OP a school bully for expressing an opinion and asking a question ?

It is entirely on the Noob Pvper side. I have played a lot of games with open world PvP it is 110% not 100% a 110% on the griefer side. Griefers are essentially bullys in open world pvp games. Rarely do they want a fair fight, they simply enjoy ruining people’s days. If you want pvp, why not fight against someone looking for PvP, why attack someone at their weakest’s point. That is what bullys do and 99.99% of people who whine about the lack of open world pvp fall in that category.

As u know im pro. ~Tomonobu Itagaki

This is an mmo forum, if someone isn’t whining chances are the game is dead.

Posted by: PookieDaWombat.6209

PookieDaWombat.6209

No, it doesn’t exist. for good reasons. That have been stated time and time again on many other posts. Anyone got that dead horse gif ready?

[OTR] – Greck Howlbane – Guardian
Soraya Mayhew – Thief
Melissa Koris – Engie – SF for Life!

RoseofGilead.8907

There’s really no reason to assume that everyone who would like to see open world pvp is the type to camp and grief other players. Obviously, that type of person does exist (and that kind of behavior can be very easily drawn out in these situations), but not everyone will be that way.

And, conversely, not all of us who are against open world pvp are “afraid” of pvp. Some people prefer other elements. I’ve personally always preferred playing stories and fighting NPCs rather than other players. Maybe if the pvp somehow became incorporated with the story I might reconsider things, but I don’t see how they could do that without alienating both pvp players and pve players.

Posted by: pdavis.8031

pdavis.8031

@OP

Please use the search function as outlined in the sticky about searching the forums.
This topic has been brought up every couple of weeks. You’ll find the same responses there as you’ll get here. Plus it’ll keep this thread from getting shut down, as tend to happen with such threads. Thanks!

site:forum-en.guildwars2.com/forum duels

“You know what the chain of command is?
It’s the chain I beat you with until you
recognize my command!”

Posted by: Nidome.1365

Nidome.1365

Now that you bring the subject up – when that opinion is wanting to be able to attack other players who aren’t interested in PvP? Wanting to fight other people who don’t want to fight other people seems to fit the description of a bully quite well.

Posted by: PookieDaWombat.6209

PookieDaWombat.6209

All I have to do is point at Obsidian Sanctum back when the game first started and how many PvE player flat out hated going in there only to be ganked by someone when they were trying to do the JP. It happens a lot less in there now, but it was a huge bone of contention a while ago for many people. Now imagine that happening in open world when someone is trying to get their bearings in say Queensdale and some level 80 comes along and wrecks some new player out of the blue or in the case od dueling systems, follows them around the map pinging them with duel requests.

Yeah. Fun times. :/

[OTR] – Greck Howlbane – Guardian
Soraya Mayhew – Thief
Melissa Koris – Engie – SF for Life!

Ashen.2907

Now that you bring the subject up – when that opinion is wanting to be able to attack other players who aren’t interested in PvP? Wanting to fight other people who don’t want to fight other people seems to fit the description of a bully quite well.

The OP didnt state that he was looking for non-consensual PvP, and specifically stated that negatively impacting people trying to work on normal PvE content would e a problem.

edgarallanpwn.8739

Here are some facts:

• GW2 PvE is built to be cooperative play; open PvP in PvE is competitive. The design concepts don’t mix.
  • Western MMO’s that offer PvP servers are all built to support that feature, and have factions which are enemies. GW2 does not have those factions.
  • WvW fills a similar niche. There are factions there. There are PvE-like objectives (mobs, tasks to complete, looking over one’s shoulder while doing so is a good idea, etc.).
  • ANet has periodically put in incentives to get players into WvW. The most recent example is the daily changes. Open PvP in PvE would likely detract from WvW.

All of this means that it is highly unlikely you will ever see what you’re asking for.

I think this is more what i was looking. Most people are wanting to reply “no” or “yes” but without any specific reasoning as to why. I think i could see this.

I can say personally i never had any issues with “camping or griefing” even in wow as far as that goes, i just always liked the idea of open world pvp. Not sure why but i hate having to join an instance just to pvp.

Even on non pvp servers you COULD pvp if you wanted to by turning the pvp option on, so that way those who wanted to could, and those that didn’t want to couldn’t be attacked(unless they did something stupid like invade the opposing factions base, in which case pvp is implied).

I wonder about a world pvp toggle? this way it would be mutual, and those who didn’t want to didn’t have to.

World pvp comes in different formats. In wow it is also toggleable on non pvp servers, so those who want to, could. I never expressed what you said directly, you inferred YOUR viewpoint into mine, which is also a logical fallacy, because if you consider one side, you must also consider the opposite. Read my above response about a solution that encompasses both sides.

Posted by: Celtic Lady.3729

Celtic Lady.3729

If there are worlds that have open world PVP and it’s not the world I play on, terrific. But I don’t want it if I ever have to deal with it. I hate open world PVP that always degenerates into griefing and quest or event progress being blocked and ruined.

Or I guess a toggle thing would be okay so long as NPCs for quests and events cannot be also killed.

edgarallanpwn.8739

If there are worlds that have open world PVP and it’s not the world I play on, terrific. But I don’t want it if I ever have to deal with it. I hate open world PVP that always degenerates into griefing and quest or event progress being blocked and ruined.

Or I guess a toggle thing would be okay so long as NPCs for quests and events cannot be also killed.

Yeah. Wow does this for non PvP servers. Now in wow some npcs can also be killed, but most cannot. I don’t see this as an issue here, but this would fix both sides.

I don’t want to world pvp all the time, but sometimes i get the itch, or think its fun, and dont want to hop into a que. I like the “randomness” of running into someone else whos got pvp turned on and going in for a challenge, without a clue of how good they are or what gear they have.

Structured pvp and wvw are different in ways, and i don’t always want to pvp on that scale either

Posted by: Seera.5916

Seera.5916

Here are some facts:

I think this is more what i was looking. Most people are wanting to reply “no” or “yes” but without any specific reasoning as to why. I think i could see this.

I can say personally i never had any issues with “camping or griefing” even in wow as far as that goes, i just always liked the idea of open world pvp. Not sure why but i hate having to join an instance just to pvp.

Even on non pvp servers you COULD pvp if you wanted to by turning the pvp option on, so that way those who wanted to could, and those that didn’t want to couldn’t be attacked(unless they did something stupid like invade the opposing factions base, in which case pvp is implied).

I wonder about a world pvp toggle? this way it would be mutual, and those who didn’t want to didn’t have to.

World pvp comes in different formats. In wow it is also toggleable on non pvp servers, so those who want to, could. I never expressed what you said directly, you inferred YOUR viewpoint into mine, which is also a logical fallacy, because if you consider one side, you must also consider the opposite. Read my above response about a solution that encompasses both sides.

How do you counteract the players who will pester people and harasss them if they don’t turn it on? There are people who already give anecdotes that it is already hard for ANet to punish harassers.

edgarallanpwn.8739

Here are some facts:

How do you counteract the players who will pester people and harasss them if they don’t turn it on? There are people who already give anecdotes that it is already hard for ANet to punish harassers.

Idk? block and report them the same way you would anyone else who might harass you?

This problem’s not specific to PvP. That would be an issue with people harassing in general. and i can’t say i have ever run into issues like that on any server, in any game with PvP options(there are a couple)

Posted by: Beldin.5498

Beldin.5498

@Beldin

I’m bad at PvP and i never win if i’m already half on my life and the characters that
are 15 level higher jump on me .. mostly in a horde of 5+ ..
That was what i encountered all day in AION when the game was over 6 months out
and after i was ganked the last time 3 times in 40 minutes i just logged out and
never logged in again. And i will never ever set a foot in any game that forces me
into PvP.

You should learn to read correctly. I have NOT called the OP a school bully, but
only people who like to grief and gank other players.
So all you wrote is just a strawman argument.

But good to know that in your world it is more evil to say : That guy beat me in the face
as to actual beat someone into the face.

EVERY MMO is awesome until it is released then its unfinished. A month after release it just sucks.
Best MMOs are the ones that never make it. Therefore Stargate Online wins.

Posted by: Apolo.5942

Apolo.5942

Yeah here is one thought, dont do it, pvp in this game sucks, and this is coming from a gw1 fan. Leave it confined where we can just ignore it.

This game is called Guild Wars 2, and pvp has since lunch been by far the least popular aspect of it. That should tell you something.

The term Exploit means nothing in GW2 –
Vials Maize Balm Exploit(Halloween) 2014
Locked out of JP (Wintersday) 2015

edgarallanpwn.8739

@Beldin

I’m bad at PvP and i never win if i’m already half on my life and the characters that
and after i was ganked the last time 3 times in 40 minutes i just logged out and
never logged in again. And i will never ever set a foot in any game that forces me
into PvP.

Well technically due to how the game works this wont matter too much as it supposedly scales you down correct? They might have a small stat advantage, but just like in normal pvp, in most games, its skill>gear.

Either way again, if we use a toggle, it wouldnt matter because someone like you who wouldn’t want to do it, could just never enable it right?

RoseofGilead.8907

The thing with WoW’s system is that it’s easy to accidentally flag yourself for PvP by going to the wrong place or doing something without noticing, even if you’re not on a PvP server and have no intention of doing PvP. There were at least a few times where opposing faction players would purposely run in front of me as I was AOEing/cleaving a mob, get me tagged for PvP, kill me, and camp my corpse. So, if for some reason this was ever put into GW2, I’d like for there to be no way to accidentally flag yourself.

(edited by RoseofGilead.8907)

Ashen.2907

@Beldin

into PvP.

You should learn to read correctly. I have NOT called the OP a school bully, but
only people who like to grief and gank other players.
So all you wrote is just a strawman argument.

But good to know that in your world it is more evil to say : That guy beat me in the face
as to actual beat someone into the face.

The OP said that it would be fun for him. You said that it would only be fun for school bullies. This is the same as equating the OP with school bullies.

If that was not your intent, understood. But any time you say that only <insert pejorative here> people like something after someone else has said they like it you are labeling that someone else with that penorative.

Posted by: Basaltface.2786

Basaltface.2786

Thats not the case…people are more allergic to toxicity, basically also my reason why i dont pvp aswell (besides some other reasons i got with it but toxicity is my main reason, i however do wvw and i am capable of killing other player chars). You wont belive how much something like this can rek your mood and how far this can spread out the players… that dont want to have anything to do with eachother cause they dont want to be kittened at by some… (insert your own insult here). Rather then to work together people gonna form secluded groups to avoid as many people as possible or completely avoid hubs to not have the “why you dont take my duel request? You scared? What are you a noob?” all the time. We got clear game types where you can go to get the experience you want and there are already TWO of 3 game modes that are meant for killing other players. Want duelling? Add a pvp mode for it or heck make an arena in the pvp hub and have it over with.

edgarallanpwn.8739

Thats not the case…people are more allergic to toxicity, basically also my reason why i dont pvp aswell (besides some other reasons i got with it but toxicity is my main reason, i however do wvw and i am capable of killing other player chars). You wont belive how much something like this can rek your mood and how far this can spread out the players… that dont want to have anything to do with eachother cause they dont want to be kittened at by some… (insert your own insult here). Rather then to work together people gonna form secluded groups to avoid as many people as possible or completely avoid hubs to not have the “why you dont take my duel request? You scared? What are you a noob?” all the time. We got clear game types where you can go to get the experience you want and there are already TWO of 3 game modes that are meant for killing other players. Want duelling? Add a pvp mode for it or heck make an arena in the pvp hub and have it over with.

If you toggle it, you have to forcefully make the choice of opening yourself up. See below for a legitimate concern

The thing with WoW’s system is that it’s easy to accidentally flag yourself for PvP by going to the wrong place or doing something without noticing, even if you’re not on a PvP server and have no intention of doing PvP. There were at least a few times where opposing faction players would purposely run in front of me as I was AOEing a mob, get me tagged for PvP, kill me, and camp my corpse. So, if for some reason this was ever put into GW2, I’d like for there to be no way to accidentally flag yourself.

This is a legitimate concern, however i am not sure how wow coded it either. That really never made sense to me.

I world pvped a ton, even on non pvp servers, but the amount of times that happened to me was low(still happened).

I wonder how hard it would to be a code that wouldn’t allow a non pvp flagged player to attack a flagged player?

It SHOULD have to be 1 for non pvp 2 for pvp

1×1= nothing
1×2=nothing
2×2= Fighting allowed
2×1= nothing

If it worked this way, there would be no issues, but i don’t know how it has to be coded, it’s merely a suggestion, and if it worked in all aspects, it could be what some people are looking for

Seera.5916

Idk? block and report them the same way you would anyone else who might harass you?

This problem’s not specific to PvP. That would be an issue with people harassing in general. and i can’t say i have ever run into issues like that on any server, in any game with PvP options(there are a couple)

Then they jump around you while you try do do things (this one is hard to prove to ANet that it’s intentional, done to harass you and not just coincidence, especially now with the megaserver). They get their friends to verbally harass you as well.

So again, how do you counteract the harassers and bullies?

You may not be the type they go after to harass. But there are stories of people who play games with open world PvP who do seem to attract the harassers. For whatever reason. I’d honestly hate to ruin this game for them. But I’m just fine with ruining the game for the harassers who want open world PvP to gang up on unsuspecting players.

If in the far future they do decide to add it, they should put in a level restriction. You may only attack those players within 5 levels of your actual level (not the level you’re downleveled to). This will keep the level 80’s from killing the level 2’s for the fun of it. That will at least help to protect the experience of new players. And put in NPE restrictions that you can’t attack a new player to the game until they get a character to level 10. But give adequate warning that open world PvP is a thing. This gives them time to learn the game and find a weapon set they like.

But for the reasons Indigo posted, I highly doubt that they would ever add in open world PvP. At least not to existing zones. They may allow it on certain maps for LS reasons. But that wouldn’t be enough for some people.

Posted by: Flitzie.6082

Flitzie.6082

I love how everyone is *****ing their pants when the topic open world PvP comes up.
Obviously if you were to intergrate something like this, which is never going to happen simply because of the way the map is designed alone, you would not just enable PvP and be it.

Simply allowying it would create distrust, fear, griefing, spawnkilling and a lot more like PK farming, groups of players dominating enitre maps etc.
THIS is not the kind of PvP I would see working.

If you ever were to enable a PvP/Pk system in Guild wars a lot of things would have to change beforehand:

- Larger areas: Group up all areas in a region, for example: Ascalon. Get rid of the gates (loading screens) or just make the entire map open world entirely because in a world full of segments and instances and server-channels there can never be real PvP.

- Karma-sytem: Get flagged (attack someone) and you are open to being killed. Kill an unflagged player and you go red.
If you go red you drop items (Inventory and equipped with a radnom chance) upon death by another player.

This is a must have to prevent griefing and mindless Pking. Nobody wants thousands of karma points by killing a low level and being afraid to drop ascended stuff.
To get rid of your karma you’d have to kill mobs or do events. A ton of them!
So aslong as you dont fight back, you most likely wont get killed all the time.

- Implement Guild-Wars (lol). What I mean by that is to have a system that allows players to pk memebers of other guilds without penalty/karma.

Now implement some meaningful spots to Pvp for. Cities to capture, castels to take over, farm spots to protect. Maybe a boss to fight over.
Remove the WvW map and you have an actual “guild wars”.

The concept of server vs server is old and outdated and it never works…!
Its always going to be unbalanced etc.
It’d be a lot more meaningful to have guilds fight against each other over territory in the overworld. You’d also create a much larger number of enemies.
Obviously we’d need a maximum member count to prevent guild-stacking and dominating.

EDIT: I Forgot something…
Remove AOE skill.. A lot of them. They are boring and encourage blobbing. And could cause flagging problems.

You touched the shiny, didn’t you?

(edited by Flitzie.6082)

Posted by: Celtic Lady.3729

Celtic Lady.3729

In Rift, you can’t accidentally get flagged for PVP, so there IS a way to make it so the above scenario never happens.

edgarallanpwn.8739

Then they jump around you while you try do do things (this one is hard to prove to ANet that it’s intentional, done to harass you and not just coincidence, especially now with the megaserver). They get their friends to verbally harass you as well.

So again, how do you counteract the harassers and bullies?

You may not be the type they go after to harass. But there are stories of people who play games with open world PvP who do seem to attract the harassers. For whatever reason. I’d honestly hate to ruin this game for them. But I’m just fine with ruining the game for the harassers who want open world PvP to gang up on unsuspecting players.

If in the far future they do decide to add it, they should put in a level restriction. You may only attack those players within 5 levels of your actual level (not the level you’re downleveled to). This will keep the level 80’s from killing the level 2’s for the fun of it. That will at least help to protect the experience of new players. And put in NPE restrictions that you can’t attack a new player to the game until they get a character to level 10. But give adequate warning that open world PvP is a thing. This gives them time to learn the game and find a weapon set they like.

But for the reasons Indigo posted, I highly doubt that they would ever add in open world PvP. At least not to existing zones. They may allow it on certain maps for LS reasons. But that wouldn’t be enough for some people.

I can’t say i have ever seen this happen in 10 years of mmo and pvp styled gaming across multiple genres. CoD and other games may be like it but you are taking it way too extreme.

So what? WORST case secenario. You block them, they jump around and do what exactly? They can’t attack you, you can’t flag yourself unless you go up and choose to enable it, they can’t exactly kittenblock you from mobs, If anything they’ll end up helping you out without realizing it.

You can’t deny an entire system because .001% of the gw2 population might do this. Where are you getting this from? is this something you do or have done? Where did this data come from?

Also, if you assume that EVERYTHING is going to be horrible with this feature, you must also assume that i could possibly be a grand success with 0 issues.

Posted by: Conncept.7638

Conncept.7638

I’d be okay with it on it’s own map designated for open world PvP.

Oh wait, we already have that, it’s called WvW.

EDIT: And frankly, people DON’T like it, WvW is a graveyard on most servers except when people are forced to go there for rewards they want, for PvE.

(edited by Conncept.7638)

edgarallanpwn.8739

I love how everyone is *****ing their pants when the topic open world PvP comes up.
Obviously if you were to intergrate something like this, which is never going to happen simply because of the way the map is designed alone, you would not just enable PvP and be it.

Remove AOE skill.. A lot of them. They are boring and encourage blobbing. And could cause flagging problems.
Simply allowying it would create distrust, fear, griefing, spawnkilling and a lot more like PK farming, groups of players dominating enitre maps etc.

If you ever were to enable a PvP/Pk system in Guild wars a lot of things would have to change beforehand:

- Larger areas: Group up all areas in a region, for example: Ascalon. Get rid of the gates (loading screens) or just make the entire map open world entirely because in a world full of segments and instances and server-channels there can never be real PvP.

- Karma-sytem: Get flagged (attack someone) and you are open to being killed. Kill an unflagged player and you go red.
If you go red you drop items (Inventory and equipped with a radnom chance) upon death by another player.

This is a must have to prevent griefing and mindless Pking. Nobody wants thousands of karma points by killing a low level and being afraid to drop ascended stuff.

- Implement Guild-Wars (lol). What I mean by that is to have a system that allows players to pk memebers of other guilds without penalty/karma.

Now implement some meaningful spots to Pvp for. Cities to capture, castels to take over, farm spots to protect. Maybe a boss to fight over.

It’d be a lot more meaningful to have guilds fight against each other over territory in the overworld. You’d also create a much larger number of enemies.
Obviously we’d need a maximum member count to prevent guild-stacking and dominating.

As someone stated before this was corrected in AIOn, so most of this can be ignored. There are ways to make Pvp toggleable and to not allow you to accidentally flag yourself.

also

What about actual GUILD WARS. Not structured PvP, not WvW but Guild Vs Guild wars in open pvp combined with the above toggle, but as an entire guild.

In other games there are faction/guild/clan wars in the sense that you would be enabled to attack a person from X clan/guild at anytime, anywhere, if both parties agreed to the “guild war”. This would make pvp specific guilds a bit more interesting too IMO

It’d be great on it’s own map designated for open world PvP.

Which we already have, it’s called WvW.

Yeah but that’s TONS of players. A lot of times i just like a good 1v1 or 1v2 or a1v3 etc. I like the randomness of open world pvp. WvW and structured are different

Ashen.2907

As someone stated before this was corrected in AIOn, so most of this can be ignored. There are ways to make Pvp toggleable and to not allow you to accidentally flag yourself.

also

Yeah but that’s TONS of players. A lot of times i just like a good 1v1 or 1v2 or a1v3 etc. I like the randomness of open world pvp. WvW and structured are different

Dont run with the zerg, avoid the opposing zerg. There is lots of 1v1 or small group PvP in WvW.

Even if it were in the open world you would face the possibility of running into a group of flagged players.

edgarallanpwn.8739

also

Dont run with the zerg, avoid the opposing zerg. There is lots of 1v1 or small group PvP in WvW.

Even if it were in the open world you would face the possibility of running into a group of flagged players.

But then i have to wait for a que. And hope for that situation. And i can’t quest while doing it. Or explore.

A toggleable world pvp would allow this.

Seera.5916

Then be a roamer or a scout.

Don’t try to force open world PvP just to get your 1v1 to 1v3 fix in. There are means to get this in the game already. Because this game wasn’t designed around it. The game has been advertised as NOT having to worry about another player coming up.

As someone who would never PvP with anyone ever (I’m horrible at PvP and have no desire to improve), I don’t want to have to worry if the person coming up is a griefer or not. While their numbers may be low, they would still be out there and I would still worry.

Open world PvP comes to GW2 on all maps all the time is the day I likely stop playing the game as much. I don’t want to worry about getting griefed no matter how low that chance would be. Any of us who are vocal against it, would be high on the list of targets the griefers would go after. And since the friends list isn’t mutual to know locations, I won’t even be protected from that.

And I wouldn’t be spending anymore money on the game. Not even to buy expansion packs. Why spend money on a game I rarely play?

Posted by: Dante.1763

Dante.1763

No to open world pvp. EVER. tons of players will leave the game if it ever gets added. there are players already and quite a few of them who wont get map completion because WvW is part of it.

The pvp community reminds me of what Obi-kittenenobi describes Mos Eisley as from star wars.

edgarallanpwn.8739

Then be a roamer or a scout.

Don’t try to force open world PvP just to get your 1v1 to 1v3 fix in. There are means to get this in the game already. Because this game wasn’t designed around it. The game has been advertised as NOT having to worry about another player coming up.

As someone who would never PvP with anyone ever (I’m horrible at PvP and have no desire to improve), I don’t want to have to worry if the person coming up is a griefer or not. While their numbers may be low, they would still be out there and I would still worry.

Open world PvP comes to GW2 on all maps all the time is the day I likely stop playing the game as much. I don’t want to worry about getting griefed no matter how low that chance would be. Any of us who are vocal against it, would be high on the list of targets the griefers would go after. And since the friends list isn’t mutual to know locations, I won’t even be protected from that.

And I wouldn’t be spending anymore money on the game. Not even to buy expansion packs. Why spend money on a game I rarely play?

Again, But then i have to wait for a que. And hope for that situation. And i can’t quest while doing it. Or explore.

A toggleable world pvp would allow this. If you had a choice to toggle it, then for those who didn’t want to world pvp, NOTHING would change. For those of us who did, it would be something we could like.

You automatically assume this will destroy your game, when you didn’t even read the suggestions and solutions in the OP. Most of what you are complaining about is fixable via solutions already implemented in other games, without affecting those who don’t wish to participate.

I am open to other legitimate concerns but i feel we have come up with something for both sides

Posted by: Arkinos.7245

Arkinos.7245

The problem is that even flag based pvp would lead to massive griefing.
Yes it sounds fun on paper, but it wouldnt be used much.

Open world pvp games typically have some special mechanisms to make it more interesting/balanced.

Lineage 2 for example had a secondary hp bar over your regular hp that would block pvp damage. So even if you’d be farming and maybe not full hp, you wouldnt blow up instantly if ambushed.

I think this would be a waste of ressources.

edgarallanpwn.8739

The problem is that even flag based pvp would lead to massive griefing.
Yes it sounds fun on paper, but it wouldnt be used much.

Open world pvp games typically have some special mechanisms to make it more interesting/balanced.

Lineage 2 for example had a secondary hp bar over your regular hp that would block pvp damage. So even if you’d be farming and maybe not full hp, you wouldnt blow up instantly if ambushed.

I think this would be a waste of ressources.

Like in aion, it can be coded so you have to choose to enable pvp, and there is no “accidental flagging” like wow where if you accidentally aoe someone it flags you back. This would remove that.

Most people who would use this feature, would understand that this is a possibility(though it doesn’t matter to us) before enabling it.

That pvp bar is an interesting way of doing it, however i think “true mutual agreement” by use of status would be better. Otherwise classes like theif or anything else that might rely on stealth, range etc, wouldn’t be nearly as effective

Ashen.2907

also

But then i have to wait for a que. And hope for that situation. And i can’t quest while doing it. Or explore.

A toggleable world pvp would allow this.

Is queueing still a concern? I havent had to in over a year. I do events in WvW. I cant really say that I explore there anymore as I have do e so in the past, then again that is largely true of the PvE wod too.

WvW is a series of open wod zones much like the PvE zones. There is exploration, there are events, there is gathering, there are mobs, etc.

Posted by: segman.3560

segman.3560

NO to open world pvp on maps.

YES to pvp arena in LA or even better in Black Citadel Colosseum!!!

Seera.5916

And you haven’t come up with a valid counter to what I’ve posted.

You are better than most other suggesters who shoot down and won’t even consider compromising their open world PvP for the sake of limiting the griefing. And I commend you for it. Those posters were likely ones looking to grief. You are likely not.

And if you read my post, I do acknowledge that the actual risk would be low. But it would be high enough for ME that it would ruin MY game play. And that spot is personal. It’s not high enough to bother you and that’s all fine and dandy. For you. It’s high enough for me.

And they would get in the way of my enjoyment around jumping puzzles. Especially since my jumping puzzle character is a small Asura. Doesn’t take much to make it to where I can’t do the jumping puzzle.