Through The Looking Glass.

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: apodelaman.6215

apodelaman.6215

Let me begin by saying that I love Guild Wars 2 and will be buying the next expansion. By the same token, I find the personal story quests ridiculously hard and pretty much impossible to complete. I am currently working on the “Through The Looking Glass” quest. It is utter foolishness to have my allies die so easily. What kind of warriors are they? It is also ridiculously stupid to have that many pirates attacking me and my allies. Dying and having to start over with damaged equipment does not for a fun game make. This post is meant as both a rant and a cry for help. Any hints on how to finish this ridiculous quest would be greatly appreciated. As for the game developers, you should be ashamed of yourselves. Some of us are casual gamers and do not have the time and/or patience to finish a quest like this. End of rant. be seeing you.

Posted by: mcwurth.2081

mcwurth.2081

team up with people it will be much easier.

Posted by: Randulf.7614

Randulf.7614

More than happy to help if on an EU server – I did it yesterday on my Guardian. As for tips, I’m not sure what to suggest, since I don;t recall anything problematic about it. What profession are you playing and what quality gear do you have on?

The difficulty of storylines only go up from there though. S2 is much, much harder than most of the Personal Story and that seems to carry on into HoT from what I played in the Beta

Posted by: Khisanth.2948

Khisanth.2948

o_O
Is your character properly gear with all traits/specializations allocated(silly question but apparently there are people who run around without their traits set …).

As for the devs being ashamed … well this quest actually used to be harder at least at the end. The eye used to put up a fight. They have reduced the difficulty for multiple PS steps on several occassions.

The difficulty of storylines only go up from there though. S2 is much, much harder than most of the Personal Story and that seems to carry on into HoT from what I played in the Beta

On the other hand the NPCs you get in S2 aren’t as useless as the PS NPCs. At least they don’t spend the majority of the time being dead.

apodelaman.6215

For me, the personal story quests have been the hardest part of the game, unless you count the jumping vista quests which are simply silly and can be skipped. As for the rest of the game, I find it very easy and I do like that. I suppose I could simply concentrate on leveling when “Heart Of Thorns” comes out and just forget about my personal story. be seeing you.

Posted by: KryTiKaL.3125

KryTiKaL.3125

Since when were any of the Personal Story missions hard? Hell they got significantly easier since launch.

Also I wouldn’t say that you should say the “devs should be ashamed” when something is “too hard” for a “casual gamer”.

Remember the days when people didn’t go and whine on a forum or a blog just cuz they couldn’t beat a level in Super Mario Bros on the SNES? Oh right, we didn’t have forums, or blogs, or very much of the internet at all back then. They would just get frustrated, leave the game alone for a while then come back and try again because they -want- the feeling of accomplishment when they finally beat that level that busted their butt.

Posted by: RoseofGilead.8907

RoseofGilead.8907

1. Make sure all of your gear (including rings/amulets/back item) are within 5-10 levels of your character level. If you’re level 70 but playing in level 50 gear, you’ll have a tougher time than if you are in level 70 (or even 60) gear.

2. Don’t run in and agro all the mobs. Take your time, and pull them one at a time (or as few at a time as possible) with a ranged attack. That way you’re not trying to fight off every mob near you.

3. Use consumables. Food that gives you extra power or extra toughness might help you out. There are also potions (potions of undead slaying for fighting Risen) and sharpening stones/maintenance oils/tuning crystals.

Posted by: Tere.4759

Tere.4759

Since when were any of the Personal Story missions hard? Hell they got significantly easier since launch.

Also I wouldn’t say that you should say the “devs should be ashamed” when something is “too hard” for a “casual gamer”.

Remember the days when people didn’t go and whine on a forum or a blog just cuz they couldn’t beat a level in Super Mario Bros on the SNES? Oh right, we didn’t have forums, or blogs, or very much of the internet at all back then. They would just get frustrated, leave the game alone for a while then come back and try again because they -want- the feeling of accomplishment when they finally beat that level that busted their butt.

Wow, this reply is absolutely no help to the OP and really if you don’t have anything nice to say, don’t say anything.

OP, ask in Zone Chat for someone to help you. I’m sure there are a lot of people that would be willing to help if you just ask. Frankly, I think the PS is poorly done and usually skip it after level 30 when I can get the armor skins for the pacts. Once you’ve done it on one character, there really is no reason to do it again. Just my opinion.

Guild Leader of The Black Court, we’re small, friendly and active.

Posted by: KryTiKaL.3125

KryTiKaL.3125

Well my reply was more meant toward the aspect of his post that, more or less, “attacked” the devs.

I think I’m allowed to have an opinion based around displeasure toward that aspect of gaming these days, and just being who I am I’m going to say something, especially since they shouldn’t blame it on the developers for an issue that is entirely their issue, not the developers or the games issue.

I do apologize for the harshness, it just really irks me when I see people blaming the developers for something that isn’t an “issue” with the game, it’s with them.

(edited by KryTiKaL.3125)

Posted by: Coulter.2315

Coulter.2315

First the PS instances are not too hard.

If you’re fighting multiple foes look at your traits, utilities and weapons and figure out what can defeat the enemies you are facing (equip reflects, blinds, snares, interupts, movement/evasion skills and AoE).

Use the terrain to fight them too.

Posted by: Kal Spiro.9745

Kal Spiro.9745

I’m curious what your class and build is that you’re having so much trouble. I have occasionally had difficulty with specific personal story missions, but they have typically been due to underleveling, undergearing and specific enemies that my class/build happens to be weak to at that time.

Tarnished Coast Kal Spiro – Ranger (80), LB/S-D, Eagle/Wolf, Signet, M/S/WS #SABorRiot
|Daredevil|Ranger|Guardian|Scrapper|Necromancer|Berserker|Dragonhunter|Mesmer|Elementalist
|Deadeye|Warrior|Herald|Daredevil|Reaper|Spellbreaker

apodelaman.6215

My original post was not a “whine”, it was a “rant”. be seeing you.

Posted by: MisterOiZo.4359

MisterOiZo.4359

I have completed the personal story with 4 different chars, and found them fairly easy.

As someone else already suggested, you should team up with someone or with a full party, it will make it easier and more enjoyable especially when you are having a hard time with them.

Additionally you can check your char’s build and ensure that you have set your traits and are using good quality gear that matches your level. I hope you are able to enjoy your PS with these tips.

Have a nice day

apodelaman.6215

I do understand the value of working with others, but I prefer to work alone. be seeing you.

Posted by: Ardid.7203

Ardid.7203

PS quests are easy. They may be long and boring, and even force you to revive a couple of times If you get distracted, but they aren’t hard.
Try doing the achievements for LS2. I’m still struggling to defeat the buffed Windmane without dying.

“Only problem with the Engineer is
that it makes every other class in the game boring to play.”
Hawks

Posted by: paintpixie.7398

paintpixie.7398

I have completed the personal story multiple times, on multiple characters. And I have done it solo every time. (Although I did help a friend with one of her story quests, once.)

Sometimes, it’s a good idea to think before you go rushing into something. That has caused me to die before, or caused my whole party to die at least, leaving me to have to clear the area before I could safely resurrect them…

I’m as casual as they come, too. So I understand. And I like to work alone, too. But when you like to play solo, you have to learn how to use strategy and think about how to get through something on your own, instead of just relying on things being a cakewalk. That’s part of the fun of playing solo, at least for me.

I think your rant was a bit…childish. If you really wanted tips on how to finish the instance, I’m sure there was a much more constructive way to ask for help. The way you came off, you just look like you threw an e-tantrum because something was too hard for you, without thinking that maybe the problem isn’t with the instance, but with you.

The walkthrough on the wiki page is pretty good:

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Through_the_Looking_Glass

(edited by paintpixie.7398)

Posted by: ZudetGambeous.9573

ZudetGambeous.9573

Here are a few things to try to make the PS easier for you:

1. Make sure you are in level appropriate gear. You gear should be within 3 levels of your actual level. If you are having a hard time upgrade your gear first. From level 1-50 green gear is fine. Above level 50 I would recommend yellow gear.

2. Make sure you have trinkets equipped. Many people think these aren’t important or forget about them completely. They are very important and make up nearly 50% of your stats. Make sure they are updated as well, with jewels inserted.

3. Make sure you have runes/sigils in your weapons. The yellow ones are only 2-3s each but make a big difference in power.

4. If you are having trouble staying alive pick an armor with 1 offencive and 2 defensive stats. Power is the most important stat, always pick gear with power (or condition damage if you are a condition damage user). Counter-intuitively taking more offensive stats can help you survive since you will kill things much faster.

5. Make sure you have traits equipped. Many people forget about their traits and they are a huge damage boost.

6. You don’t say what class you are but make sure of your defensive utilities. Every class has utilities to help them survive. If you give us more information on your class we can help you select better utilities.

7. Buy food. Food is HUGE in this game. food gives you a buff equal to an entire extra piece of gear. If you are dying, try some vitality or lifesteal food, it can make a big difference.

Hope that helps!

Posted by: ProtoGunner.4953

ProtoGunner.4953

Er what? That quest is easy as kitten. I didn’t even think, enemies go down in seconds and allies/NPCs don’t matter really. How somebody here can even the slightest problems is so arbitrary for me, I can’t even believe it.

Played as an asura, necro in full zerk gear (mostly ascended).

‘would have/would’ve been’ —> correct
‘would of been’ —> wrong

Posted by: Misguided.5139

Misguided.5139

That’s a level 80 story mission. If you aren’t wearing full level 80 exotics, they can usually be had for fairly cheap on the trading post. If you can’t afford a particular stat combination, there should be something similar for much lesss.

Good advice from Zudet and others above. If your weapons and build are heavily slanted toward single target, consider switching it up a bit as Coulter suggested.

Posted by: Danikat.8537

Danikat.8537

One thing that may help if you find you get overwhelmed is to go slower and aggro fewer enemies at a time.

Because the personal story is instanced many areas have a finite number of enemies and they don’t respawn (and most of the exceptions are constantly respawning waves of very weak enemies like the orrian spider hatchlings in A Vision of Darkness), which means you’re not under the same pressure as in the open world to clear an area and move on quickly.

Also if your allies do go down make sure you take the time to revive them. Even if all they’re doing is acting as meat shields for a few seconds until they go down again/you kill the enemies it’s better than doing everything on your own, and a few seconds can be a long time in combat.

Danielle Aurorel, Dear Dragon We Got Your Cookies [Nom], Desolation (EU).

“Life’s a journey, not a destination.”