Thunderclap = 3 different skills now!

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Invictus.1503

Invictus.1503

Okay, so when I read the Scrapper reveal I thought the name “Thunderclap” sounded familiar as a skill name, but figured I must just remember it from GW1. Then I watched WoodenPotatoes and saw he recognized it too and elaborated. With the addition of the Scrapper skill “Thunderclap” there are now THREE active skills in the game spanning three different classes that have the same name.

Anet, did this really escape your attention?

Thunderclap – Ranger downed skill – Damages your target and dazes foes around that target.

Thunderclap – Elementalist conjure (hammer) skill – Smash the ground and damage nearby foes.

Thunderclap – Scrapper hammer skill – Ionize an area, bringing down the power of lightning to stun and damage enemies over its duration.

It’s better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt.

Posted by: StinVec.3621

StinVec.3621

Quite disappointing, but not surprising. It seems to go right along with some other re-used and confusion-causing names they seem to pick without giving any real thought to it; e.g. Berserker stat set, Berserker warrior elite specialization. :\

| [“I’d really like this…” — Resource for Gifting Strangers] |
| [Free Ports For All “Not So Secret” JP Needs (and 1st Try Dive Tips)] |
| [Classic Thread: “all is vain”] |

Posted by: Ardid.7203

Ardid.7203

Scrapper’s one should be “Ionizing Burst” or something like that, more techie oriented.

“Only problem with the Engineer is
that it makes every other class in the game boring to play.”
Hawks

Posted by: lioka qiao.8734

lioka qiao.8734

It should be like that laser lightning experiment they do in new mexico. Shoot a laser into a nearby storm cloud and send lightning screeching back, doing the effects this skill was supposed to do.

Little red Lioka

Posted by: TJgalon.5012

TJgalon.5012

Do you have a better idea for the name, and if so, suggest it. They could still change it if they wish, and it might be better.

Posted by: Orpheal.8263

Orpheal.8263

Threy should rename definetely the ranger skill and that of of the engineer E-Spect.
In fatc, they should also redesign the ranger skill, it makes absolutely no sense at al that a ranger would cause a lightning to hit a target to interupt them… not even at all as “Druids”.
Rangers are no Elementalists, nor are the natural elements part of a nature magic using druid – they are based alot more on the 4 seasons, plants, animals, and natural aspects like growth (support) , alteration (shapeshifting), connection and fate in regard of natural consequences (life and death (regeneration/degeneration)

So I think the 3 Skill Names should be like this:

Elementalist = Keeps Thunderclap, as it was already a GW1 specific Elementalist Skill from begin on

Ranger = Skill Redesign to “Toxic Pollens” which lets you grab in downed state a bunch of poisonous flowers, throwing them at you foe, who inhales the toxic pollens and gets dazed by that, poisoned and weakened.

Engineer E.S. = Ioninized Burst (I agree on that idea) (But better would it be, if ANet just would stay with the fire theme of a Forger/Artificer Style, then we wouldn’t have had this issue now from begin on)

Personally I like the idea behind sub classes ~ quoted from Chris Whiteside

Posted by: Iason Evan.3806

Iason Evan.3806

I think every skill in the game should be called Thunderclap. It sounds super fresh.

Leader of The Guernsey Milking Coalition [MiLk] Sanctum of Rall

Posted by: Behellagh.1468

Behellagh.1468

We are heroes. This is what we do!

RIP City of Heroes

Posted by: Wondrouswall.7169

Wondrouswall.7169

Waiting for Anet to make subtle changes to: Thunderclap, Thundercrackle, Thunderpop.

Leave the bowl of cereal in Sparkfly Fen for us, we’ll have the spoons ready after reset.

PET PRECISION & DPS TESTS -OUTDATED-
Will update once Path of Fire releases.

Posted by: Invictus.1503

Invictus.1503

Yes, and even referenced him in my OP.

It’s better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt.

Posted by: Mora.3967

Mora.3967

Posted by: Doggie.3184

Doggie.3184

It sounded like copypasta of Ele hammer skill when I read it and so did the picture so I’m not surprised if it’s literally the same skill.

Ranger = Skill Redesign to “Toxic Pollens” which lets you grab in downed state a bunch of poisonous flowers, throwing them at you foe, who inhales the toxic pollens and gets dazed by that, poisoned and weakened.

How about Stun Spore? XD

| Fort Aspenwood (NA): Sylvari Daredevil Thief Main: All Classes 80. |
Please Remove/Fix Thief Trait: “Last Refuge.”
“Hard to Catch” is a Horrible and Useless Trait. Fixed 6/23/15. Praise Dwayna.

(edited by Doggie.3184)

Posted by: Orpheal.8263

Orpheal.8263

It sounded like copypasta of Ele hammer skill when I read it and so did the picture so I’m not surprised if it’s literally the same skill.

How about Stun Spore? XD

or that, would also work xD and would be better than this nonsensical lightning bolt!

Personally I like the idea behind sub classes ~ quoted from Chris Whiteside

Posted by: Valento.9852

Valento.9852

Whatever, it’s just a frigging name.

Attempts at ele specs:
Shaman
Conjurer

Posted by: TexZero.7910

TexZero.7910

For clarity sake no 2 combat skills should ever share the same name.

There are people out there in PvP who actually use the combat log and it’s kinda important to keep ambiguity to a minimum.

Posted by: Kirnale.5914

Kirnale.5914

Hahah it reminded me of this one.

Attachments:

Valento.9852

There are people out there in PvP who actually use the combat log and it’s kinda important to keep ambiguity to a minimum.

That’s why skills have distinct icons. It’s much better to distinguish skills visually.

Attempts at ele specs:
Shaman
Conjurer

TexZero.7910

That’s why skills have distinct icons. It’s much better to distinguish skills visually.

That’s nice and all but what do ICONS have to do with the COMBAT LOG which is TEXT only.

Posted by: Behellagh.1468

Behellagh.1468

Yes, and even referenced him in my OP.

Which proves I simply read the title of the thread after watching WP’s video myself.

Why am I still awake …

We are heroes. This is what we do!

RIP City of Heroes

Valento.9852

That’s nice and all but what do ICONS have to do with the COMBAT LOG which is TEXT only.

If you know I’m an ele, and I hit you with a Thunderclap, that’s self-explanatory.

Attempts at ele specs:
Shaman
Conjurer

Posted by: Vavume.8065

Vavume.8065

What happens if he is fighting you and an engi, and you both use thunderclap on him? I can already see you are unwilling to back down from your original “its just a name” comment, so not expecting you to come to your senses now either, but the more you continue the bigger hole you are digging for yourself, quite embarrassing really.

TexZero.7910

If you know I’m an ele, and I hit you with a Thunderclap, that’s self-explanatory.

Right and i suppose PvP is a never ending 1v1, and only Ele’s are played.

Not everything is a self contained vacuum. I can see that you probably don’t PvP much, nor do you understand that teamfights can and will occur.

I cannot believe that even had to be brought up, sad really. Is it so hard to notice a mistake and ask for design clarity ?

Valento.9852

What happens if he is fighting you and an engi, and you both use thunderclap on him? I can already see you are unwilling to back down from your original “its just a name” comment, so not expecting you to come to your senses now either, but the more you continue the bigger hole you are digging for yourself, quite embarrassing really.

Not even a little bit embarrassing, no. Last time I checked, hovering skill names on combat log displayed a very indicative tooltip. But, oh well, if you guys want the name changed so badly, go for it, if that improves the game for you.

Attempts at ele specs:
Shaman
Conjurer