Tier 3 Cultural Armor - Lets reign it in

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Nev.5316

Nev.5316

The price is fair, i managed to get the whole set just casually playing the game for 2 weeks by doing dungeons and stuff, and it would be a kick in the teeth for those of us who worked hard to get our set, just because a selected few who want everything handed to them.

Posted by: Darx.9842

Darx.9842

I have 6/6 T3 Norn female cultural.

To this day I’ve only seen 2 others running around on my server that have it. Of course there are more, but not that I run into.

If the price was lowered everyone would have it and it would completely lose it’s value and appeal.

If anything, increase the price.

Posted by: TabMorte.5297

TabMorte.5297

Tier 3 armor is a vanity achievement, not about stats or anything like that. You can get equally stated pieces on the trading post for far, far cheaper.

These items are meant to be more – ‘Look at me and how much work I’ve done that I could spend so much on this for a skin’. That’s what they’re meant to be and to devalue them by making them so everyone can afford a full set of T3 armor would make it worthless.

I’ve been saving up for weeks grinding dungeons just to get my T3 chest for one character! Do I mind? Not in the least. It’s a goal that I’m working towards and when there aren’t any special events going on, it keeps the game interesting for me, just like my world completion goal or other ones that I have. It gives me something to play to/for.

Golemancy 101: total and complete catastrophic
failure is still a monumental success, assuming
losses remain within acceptable parameters.

Posted by: mulch.2586

mulch.2586

I think cultural armor should be sold as skins, rather than items. Like the HoM skins, and the gem-shop Profane set.

Posted by: Ryuujin.8236

Ryuujin.8236

…and so only those who abused the early game would have it or those who buy gold with rl cash… by those who abused early game, I specifically mean the players who used cheats…then again, I suppose there are a few who ground the gold by doing dynamic events pre-nerf after rushing to 80.

I’d tell you to go choke on a kitten but the mods would get upset.

I am however getting extremely tired of being accused of cheating, or rushing, or buying gold by a jealous minority just because I own a T3 set and they refuse believe it’s possible to earn that gold legit.

120g is not unattainable if you’ve savvy with your gold. I in fact don’t grind anything, I make all my gold simply by trading, when i pick up a sword and go out into the world it’s for the express purpose of kicking kitten and chewing gum (While dressed to kill), not the rewards.

The Ashwalker – Ranger
Garnished Toast

mulch.2586

…and so only those who abused the early game would have it or those who buy gold with rl cash… by those who abused early game, I specifically mean the players who used cheats…then again, I suppose there are a few who ground the gold by doing dynamic events pre-nerf after rushing to 80.

I am however getting extremely tired of being accused of cheating, or rushing, or buying gold by a jealous minority just because I own a T3 set and they refuse believe it’s possible to earn that gold legit.

120g is not unattainable if you’ve savvy with your gold. I in fact don’t grind anything, I make all my gold simply by trading, when i pick up a sword and go out into the world it’s for the express purpose of kicking kitten and chewing gum (While dressed to kill), not the rewards.

I think most Americans are aware the best way to make money isn’t by farming or making things, but rather by playing the market.

I don’t raise an eyebrow at GW2 characters with expensive tastes in clothes. It’s a game that endorses all methods of attaining wealth — paypal is just as legit as farming which is just as legit as trading. Just farming is very slow.

Posted by: Adine.2184

Adine.2184

If you were to look at the sheer monetary value FoW was more expensive than T3 so I’m perfectly fine with its cost . Lets be honest here the only reasons T3 exists is so people can have that “look at me I’m rich” armor and at the same time ANET can get some of that excessive gold out of the economy that’s it.

Posted by: Hobocop.1508

Hobocop.1508

T3 cultural can stay right where it is as a purely cosmetic gold sink. If you want exotic stats, there’s plenty of other places to get it.

Posted by: rchu.8945

rchu.8945

Considering I see people walking about in T3, surely the price must be about right – it’s rare and still draws attention. But not so rare that you can’t find people with it in any given zone

Do we really want everyone walking about in the same armour set?

it’s the same mentality for those that cry and whine about legendary precursors, do we really want everyone walking about with a legendary weapon? I dont.

Sanctum of Rall
Pain Train Choo [Choo]
Mind Smack – Mesmer

Posted by: Oldgrimm.8521

Oldgrimm.8521

even if they made the stats of t3=exotic, i would not dare to make it as my armor, eg, i dont like the stats of human t3 medium, pow prec cond,

it will still be as good as a skin,

but i do like the suggestion made earlier, to make it as a skin like HoM skins.

Posted by: Knote.2904

Knote.2904

Another alternative would be to make them purchasable for karma as well, more uses for karma is always good.

Posted by: Araushnee.1852

Araushnee.1852

It should not be cheaper, but it should be a skin that you can generate from the vendor as many times as you like once you’ve paid to unlock it. Similar to the HoM items.

This I agree with. I do not look forward to grinding more of an armor set I already bought.

Gamer Gal

Posted by: Nev.5316

Nev.5316

Another alternative would be to make them purchasable for karma as well, more uses for karma is always good.

That would be stupid, karma is extremely easy to gain, ive got over 200k in the past few weeks just from daily jugs. If that was ever introduced everyone would have t3.

Posted by: cargan.5689

cargan.5689

@Nymeria: Yes, that’s what i was saying when i mentioned that half of them don’t look very good.

I guess its a mater of taste i think a lot of the T1 armors look better than T3
The stats do need to be better though 130g for a skin is crazy

Ulfar SOR

Posted by: Dominae.3146

Dominae.3146

That would be stupid, karma is extremely easy to gain, ive got over 200k in the past few weeks just from daily jugs. If that was ever introduced everyone would have t3.

I agree. I am only happy if I have something poorer people can’t have. It isn’t the look of the armor that I’m paying for … it is the ability to look better than poorer people and exclusivity.

So therefore, the less people that have T3 Cultural, the better I look.

Think of T3 Cultural as a fancy Manhattan nightclub. If they let everyone in, then those of us inside won’t feel special anymore and we’d have to go somewhere more exclusive. .. and that means I’d be stuck paying for another armor set to have it first.

This slippery slope of cosmetic, horizontal gear progression CANNOT be allowed to begin.

(edited by Dominae.3146)

mulch.2586

I think karma and cultural armor make sense, more that gold.

Do we think Logan and the other defenders of Divinity’s Reach had to pay for his uniform? Or did he earn it by heroic deeds?

I do think it should be difficult to obtain. Make it a million karma – whatever. My point is that, like the cultural weapons, these are things that distinguish the heroes of a race, and they should be earned by heroic deeds in Tyria, not paypal, not playing the market, not farming.

Posted by: Dominae.3146

Dominae.3146

Do we think Logan and the other defenders of Divinity’s Reach had to pay for his uniform? Or did he earn it by heroic deeds?

I do think it should be difficult to obtain. Make it a million karma – whatever. My point is that, like the cultural weapons, these are things that distinguish the heroes of a race, and they should be earned by heroic deeds in Tyria, not paypal, not playing the market, not farming.

But these aren’t uniforms, or medals for heroism.

Its fashion. Fashion favors the wealthy, not the heroic.

… and karma is farmed just the same as gold is. So even if they made it karma-purchases you’re still just promoting farming … you’re only removing the ability for people to pay real-life money for fashion.

Posted by: Ireniicus.2167

Ireniicus.2167

Price is steep but i am ok with that if its great looking like the Silvari one is. However its very poor that it is not exotic

mulch.2586

But these aren’t uniforms, or medals for heroism.

Its fashion. Fashion favors the wealthy, not the heroic.

… and karma is farmed just the same as gold is. So even if they made it karma-purchases you’re still just promoting farming … you’re only removing the ability for people to pay real-life money for fashion.

I’d think “Fashion” should be town clothes, not the uniform you wear to battle.

But yes, to reiterate, yes very much, my view IS that it should take in-game farming of some sort.

If I were setting it up, I’d say complete your story quest and complete all the racial homeland zones, then be able to purchase the T3 (karma or gold, your choice).

Complete your first 2 homeland zones to be able to buy T1

Complete story mode of the local dungeon and explore the zones to buy T2.

Make it mean something more than just “a lot of gold in my purse”

And yes, for heaven’s sake, we need some fashion choices. My supposedly noble-born character is stuck with a peasant’s costume for town clothes.

Posted by: Sythus.2396

Sythus.2396

The price is perfectly fine in my opinion and I really hope they don’t make them cheaper. It is something that should be acquired a bit harder – plus it is not really hard to reach 120 gold..

Posted by: Acidicore.3264

Acidicore.3264

I’m just mildly peeved at the sheer lack of shoulders for the Savant T3 asura set. They exist, but are little straps over the shoulders that don’t exist and are overridden by the chest armor. It’s a great looking set, but they couldn’t have floating orbs over the left shoulder or something along those lines? I don’t know, but I still enjoy wearing it.

Posted by: StormcrowX.9236

StormcrowX.9236

I am underwhelmed by the style of Tier 3 Cultural Armour,
so i shall never worry if i have enough gold to afford it,
because it’s fugly and i don’t want it.

^ This. I have not seen any I fancy, let alone anything I would be willing to spend hundreds of gold on.

You are not one of their “most dedicated players”. Don’t worry, neither am I apparently.
-NaughtyProwler.8653

Posted by: Erebus.6473

Erebus.6473

No tier 3 is fine as it is, the way to acquire it shouldn’t change and if you can’t get 120 gold long term then you are doing something wrong. Buying with karma isn’t a better option because karma, like gold, requires farming. If you don’t like the fact that it costs so much then don’t buy it, it’s that simple. It’s just a skin after all, no unique stats or anything. And keep in mind that tier 3 cultural as well as legendary weapons are meant to be long term goals.

Posted by: Surbrus.6942

Surbrus.6942

The high price adds to its lustre.

Now if only Charr light T3 pants and helm actually looked nice….

Posted by: ancalagon.8903

ancalagon.8903

You could always do what I am doing and piecing it together. I picked up the chest, legs and gloves, but bought the Vigil helm and shoulders until I get more money for the Cultural ones. I just hide them because they don’t match. Shoes I got from the mad king, but they actually look good with the human tier 3 for a thief. When I get more cash I will get the rest of the cultural set though.

Posted by: nemo.1572

nemo.1572

It is all about the skin. Of you spend 130G on the Skin, you can spend a few more gold on the transmutation stones.
Obsidian Armor in GW1 took much time to get and it had the same stats as every other max lvl armor.

It is about prestige, not stats.

Posted by: Erasculio.2914

Erasculio.2914

I agree with the main point in the OP – the price of the current Cultural Armors is fine, but they should be exotics. We are paying not for the stats, but for the skins – doesn’t make sense to have such valuable skins on subpar stats.

I also feel bad for the OP, as most people react to a topic title metioning cultural armors by automatically assuming it’s a complaint about those armors being too expensive, regardless of what the topic actually says.

If the price was lowered everyone would have it and it would completely lose it’s value and appeal.

The skin would continue to be as pretty as it is today, hence even if every single player were given a free copy of the armor, it would not lose anything significant. To assume there is any prestige in having that armor means you actually believe people are going to admire you for having a lot of gold to spend in a MMO… To which I reply, well, no.

Obsidian Armor in GW1 took much time to get and it had the same stats as every other max lvl armor.

And cultural armors have worse stats than every other max level armor. If Obsidian Armor had worse stats than 15K Droknars Armor, people would have complained, too.

“I think that players are starting to mature past the point of wanting to be on that
treadmill, of being in that obvious pattern of every time I catch up you are going to
put another carrot in front of me” – Mike O’Brien right before Ascended weapons

Posted by: Dash.8027

Dash.8027

Full T3 Armor and Weapons.

99 problems, being a sexy charr isn’t one.

Attachments:

[Os] Guild | Engineer | Sauer | :3
| http://www.sheriffsauer.com – “Engineer Hanbook” |

Posted by: Gilosean.3805

Gilosean.3805

I keep meaning to save for it but I always end up finding things to spend my money on.

Will we get a Golem Financial Advisor in the future Anet?

QFT. It can even be a cash shop item, and do comparison pricing for you!

Posted by: Hyper Cutter.9376

Hyper Cutter.9376

t3 is wildly overpriced. t1 is about 2 gold, t2 is about 8 gold, then t3 arbitrarily costs almost 15x as much as t2, how does that even work?

Compare to the corresponding weapons, where it goes 9,800 → 35,000 → 63,000. The gap between t1 and t2 is about the same, but the gap between t2 and t3 is much narrower.

Posted by: Hexgame.4802

Hexgame.4802

I have no problems with the price. I actually bought a few pieces for my mesmer.

These offer no improved stats or anything game breaking, just a simple skin. Cultural armor is like Guild Wars 1’s Obsidian armor.

Lynsey – 80 Human Mesmer
Perky – 80 Norn Guardian
Soapie – 80 Human Ranger

Posted by: Seren.6850

Seren.6850

I have most my t3 set now, it’s something I’m proud of. I don’t think the price should be lowered. It’s not meant for everyone to have.

I do however think they should be exotics, I know we just buy them for the skins but .. it’s a bit cheap on anets behalf

SoS original -“They mostly come out at night … mostly”
[FIRE] Serene Snow, Warrior

Posted by: Kacigarka.5176

Kacigarka.5176

Cultural tier 3 is is awesome as it is.. Price is where it should be and the stats doesnt matter cause its only the skin you want.

Cultural armor is about prestigue and unique skin, so not every has it. If everyone could easyly buy it cheap, nobody would want it anymore. Same happend to CoF gear, it was so easy to obtain this dungoen gear and now, every of my friends just hate that gear cause it equals = easy, exploitable crap

I bought my T3 cultural amor one month after the release.

(edited by Kacigarka.5176)

Posted by: Knote.2904

Knote.2904

How can you say that when you don’t even know how much karma Anet would make them cost? Really now? =p

Posted by: LordYz.8941

LordYz.8941

This is so funny. We have a group of ppl who complaining about grinding for high stat ascended gears and another group that complain about grinding for cosmetic stuff. Really make me wanna make the Patrick Star MeMe.

• I love the grind for high stat and/or cosmetic items. Personal OPINION.
Sea of Sorrows, Black Snow Suave.
Recruiting dungeon raiders.

Posted by: Zaxares.5419

Zaxares.5419

I agree with either of the OP’s suggestions, but leaning more towards #2. It just doesn’t make sense to me that something so expensive is only a Rare set. If Cultural armor was a set of skins that you apply to existing armor, fine, I can accept that, because it doesn’t then create an additional set of armor in your pack. But as it is, Cultural armor is basically saying, “Grind 120g for appearance, and THEN go and grind some more to get an Exotic set so you can transmute it onto decent high-end gear”.

It makes even less sense when you consider that Ascended items will be coming out in the future too, unless ANet has plans to upgrade T2 culturals to Exotic and T3 culturals to Ascended items.

Posted by: Ireniicus.2167

Ireniicus.2167

How can you say that when you don’t even know how much karma Anet would make them cost? Really now? =p

Cultural Weapons already cost karma

Posted by: Hermes.7014

Hermes.7014

For all that I care, with those prices cultural tier 3 sets can stay where they are: in the vendor window.
Sometimes there are pixels that aren’t worth my time, and this is a good example.

Whether something is either wrong or right, someone will always complain about it.

Posted by: panzer.6034

panzer.6034

This is the problem with karma though: there is nothing good to spend it on.

At level 80 you’ve got, what, one set of topped out armor to buy that may or may not look like kitteny kitten on your character? There needs to be more things like high-end armor and weapons for people to spend karma on to make 200k karma actually feel like a large amount and an achievement to gain. I mean, if i held onto my gold the way i have my karma (ive got 500k now) i’d probably have enough gold to buy multiple full sets of T3 armor. Gold is actually used to buy tons and tons of desirable and necessary things however, so getting that 120g looks like an achievement went compared to karma values.

Posted by: Chlorure.9763

Chlorure.9763

When I first saw the price of the cultural T3, I was FURIOUS.
How can someone get that much gold?! Why WASTE so much gold on only a skin?

I used to be jealous of the people sitting in Lion’s Arch with their full T3. Then, I acquired my first piece and realized that 119 gold is not bad at all. Guild Wars has always been a game about acquiring pretty armor skins not stats.

With a single dungeon path run (Let’s say Path 2 of AC exp), I can make easily 1.50 to 2g. A single path takes only like 40 mins max if your team is not very good. Sure, if you have only an hour per day to play, it’s going to take a while to gather 119g but why do you need to have it NOW NOW NOW NOW NOW?
Right now, I’m missing the shoulder pieces and the chest and I seriously can’t wait to get the full set but I will not whine that I NEED IT NOW because I don’t.
It will feel so much better once I get the full set.

If you don’t think a skin is worth 119g, then don’t buy it. For me, the Cultural Charr T3 would be worth even more.

I am not against the set being pushed to exotic but I personally don’t care if it never gets to that point.

Attachments:

Posted by: Alk Trio Fan.6357

Alk Trio Fan.6357

So you’re unhappy with the price of the T3 armour and want it more accessible? Interesting…

I can in a way see your point, but I completely disagree with it. If I’m going to take time to earn the money and buy a skin for a lot of money, I don’t want a lot of people having the same skin as me, it’s the same reason I never ran CoF solely to get the armour, everyone has the skin and it ruins it. If you see everyone around with the same armour it makes it pointless to acquire.

Are you later on going to say that some of the weapon skins are extortionately expensive and you want them to be more accessible to everyone? For instant the skin Volcanus is now going on sale in TP for 550g, that’s one item, purely cosmetic. Has NOTHING better than a standard exotic yet people are willing to shell out this price for it as it’s exclusive. People want exclusive things, and this will remain one of them purely on the difficulty to acquire it. (Also a weapon I am working toward as there will be very few people with one).

The rare → exotic argument although in a way valid, is also in a way redundant. As by time you get to 120g to afford the armour, you’re going to have a full set of exotics to help you farm it and so you’ve acquired all the stats you want, all you want to do is transfer the skin across.

tl;dr – Armour price makes it exclusive, exclusivity is good. Also, no-one who’s buying it cares it’s not exotic.

Posted by: Tolmos.8395

Tolmos.8395

I am generally very anti-grind, and was on the front lines of the anti-ascended gear treadmill grind…

That said, THIS type of grind is what Guild Wars is all about. A horizontal progression that takes gobs of time for same stat but better looking items (I say better looking loosely. I actually find the human T3 fugly, and not even worth 5g much less 120g, but you get the idea).

This was meant to give people something to work towards who like working towards stuff. Of course, then they went and introduced… nvm. I won’t go there.

Main point is- this is no different than the nightmarish grinds we suffered in GW1 for our pretty pretty armors and fits within the scope of what the Guild Wars series is about.

Posted by: JumblyJebus.5903

JumblyJebus.5903

Raise the price I don’t want to see anymore people than I already do wearing my T3.

Posted by: TsukasaHiiragi.9730

TsukasaHiiragi.9730

Its because people want to defend themselves for running there own multibox programs to farm gold. Lets face it, not that many people even have 100g+ unless you’ve ~

1) Exploited the game/botted
2) Got really lucky and found some pre-cursors
3) Farmed Plinx since Day 1
4) Speedran dungeons until your eyes bleed
5) Played the TP

The average player, and I’m talking the most average player will have around 25 to 100g tops with an unfavorable RNG. I personally have over 800 hours on my characters, I have master crafter complete and 4 80s in exotics, some purchased with karma/tokens and others crafted – and I have about 50g in regular gold, and maybe about 10g in mats.

Speedrunning dungeons requires a dedicated team constantly doing it, its not something the ‘average’ player can do. Not to mention, requires a pretty decently population servers/constant overflow ~ something, my server hasn’t had since the Halloween Events/Lost Shores.

So basically, the gold costs for many people are outrageous ~ This is the price of having a TP based across all the servers, the low and underpopulated servers get screwed over.

protest this travesty of a patch -
Get it taken down -
Do whatever it takes if you care about this game -

Posted by: TsukasaHiiragi.9730

TsukasaHiiragi.9730

It depends, some ‘maybe’ did, others did not ~ like some of the people who got legendarys a few weeks after launch. There are alot of botters out there, and not all of them are Chinese gold farmers, I’ve seen many US ones which are obvious people running hacks.

I’ve seen it in other games that have a significant grind, and gold farming in this game is especially bad because almost everything revolves around it – Legendary items should have been done via quests/tasks instead of gold farming/mat farming. And its not just about Legendarys either, Tier gear for instance is another, anything to raise that e-pe and some players will go to drastic lengths to stroke that ego ~ trust me, seen it every other game. Does that mean, you ‘the’ person I’m quoting cheated? Who’s to say, but one thing is for sure ~ I can’t prove it, you can’t even prove you didn’t do it ~ what sucks is the anti-cheating protection in GW2, basically it just isn’t there.

protest this travesty of a patch -
Get it taken down -
Do whatever it takes if you care about this game -

Posted by: Ryuujin.8236

Ryuujin.8236

Does that mean, you ‘the’ person I’m quoting cheated? Who’s to say, but one thing is for sure ~ I can’t prove it, you can’t even prove you didn’t do it .

You need to look up burden of proof.

Anyway, just checking my (extremely long) list of items bought and sold would show where my profits comes from

The Ashwalker – Ranger
Garnished Toast

Posted by: Awren.4967

Awren.4967

While I agree that price is fine, I really think that it should have stats as max armor in game. But I guess it is probably the way for Anet to earn money ( people will buy those stones every time they get new armor).

Posted by: Eugenics.6953

Eugenics.6953

119 gold wouldn’t be that bad if the armour didn’t look like kitten. Stevie Wonder must have been working on the cultural T3 armour.

Posted by: Draknar.5748

Draknar.5748

I have no problem with the price of the set, but I guess that’s only because I’m not buying every piece just the ones I want, so 20-40g isn’t so bad for a couple of pieces.

I decided last week I wanted the T3 helm, but it was 20g. I had 4g. I’ve just been playing normally, selling the drops I get on TP or to vendor and I’m already up to 15g, and that’s not even including all the mats I’ve got saved in my bank to sell, which I"m sure would put me over the edge.

Hasn’t even been a week and I’m almost there. Multiply that by 5 and we’re looking at ~5-7 weeks (taking into account off days) of daily playing to get the full set. To me that’s more than reasonable for a unique set. You actually have to SAVE your money to get it.

You can also play an alt character and funnel money to your main, I do that sometimes.

As for fine transmute stones. I don’t know why people need to even buy them on the cash shop. I have 35+ in my bank just from Black Lion chests.

I know keys come few and far between but when I do get keys I get 5x fine transmutes ~50% of the time. I want to think I’m average, but considering its apparently an area of concern for people, perhaps I’ve just been lucky with my chest drops, because I’ve never, not once ever, been needing fine transmute stones, and I transmute exotic gear all the time for different looks.

I won’t stop because I can’t stop.

It’s a medical condition, they say its terminal….

Posted by: Rukia.4802

Rukia.4802

It’s fine. You shouldn’t be buying every piece of it at once, then it may feel like a grind. Try buying one piece, and you get your goods bit by bit and it is completely optional, I still don’t see too many people running around in cultural armor. Sure, TONS of dungeon armors, but no cultural. Yes I know there are plenty out there that have it, me included, and I didn’t have to grind too much. I mostly played the market.

You’d be surprised how many people simply check the “sell” button on TP when they get an automatic pricing by the current buyer instead of checking what the lowest seller is and at the very least meeting in the middle, also, you can buy items being sold for low and sell them high. I do it all the time and make tons of profit.

You don’t actually have to pve to make money…

“I find this rain quite pleasant, it feels as though raindrops are blessing our victory”