Time Change Tonight - US Daily Reset Affected

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Donari.5237

Donari.5237

Nov 1, 2014

Tonight much of the US will set clocks back one hour. However, the daily reset time is not based on US time. Therefore if you are, say, East Coast and used to an 8 pm reset, it will now happen at 7 pm as of tomorrow evening (Sunday) and persist thus until spring. Every year that catches people off guard.

Likewise, if you are not in a time zone that sets the clocks back, you may see some of your friends doing things an hour later by your time. So if you are used to a friend showing up in game thirty minutes after their work day ends, in your time zone it will be an hour past your expected rendezvous.

Posted by: cheshirefox.7026

cheshirefox.7026

by the six gods, it’s happening 

i can outswim a centaur!
when i’m done on an issue
i start talking in nerglish

Posted by: Roybe.5896

Roybe.5896

Panic ensues. Rage rises. Tables are flipped. The end of the world is nigh!

Posted by: Astralporing.1957

Astralporing.1957

Happened in EU already.

Actions, not words.
Remember, remember, 15th of November

Posted by: Sorean.5379

Sorean.5379

Why is everyone overreacting? o.o
I thought daylight saving time was something that happens every year

Posted by: Djinn.9245

Djinn.9245

Lol, who is overreacting?

And it actually happens twice every year.

But thanks OP for the reminder.

it’s this luck based mystic toilet that we’re all so sick of flushing our money down. -Salamol

Posted by: tolunart.2095

tolunart.2095

If you want to see overreacting wait until tomorrow night. OMG why did my dailies reset early? I demand CS give me my laurel!

Posted by: IndigoSundown.5419

IndigoSundown.5419

Thanks for the warning. It seems like every year someone posts a complaint about this, thinking it’s a fault of the game.

Posted by: Labjax.2465

Labjax.2465

Thanks for the heads up. Can’t say I’m getting why it would change the time in some areas though. I guess the servers don’t give a crap about daylight savings?

Or words to that effect.

tolunart.2095

Thanks for the heads up. Can’t say I’m getting why it would change the time in some areas though. I guess the servers don’t give a crap about daylight savings?

The reset happens every 24 hours, regardless of DST. That means that the reset happens tonight at 8 PM in the Eastern US, and tomorrow night at 7 PM, which is exactly 24 hours later.

Labjax.2465

The reset happens every 24 hours, regardless of DST. That means that the reset happens tonight at 8 PM in the Eastern US, and tomorrow night at 7 PM, which is exactly 24 hours later.

Ahh ok, so the server does indeed give zero kittens about daylight savings time. Makes more sense now.

Or words to that effect.

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

How would a server give ‘whatever’ about DST, when all players using said server may not be affected by DST? Should it change time for some, but not others? How would that work?

Reset uses UTC time…which isn’t affected by any savings of any kind. I’m sure we can all do the math. =)

Posted by: Astral Projections.7320

Astral Projections.7320

Not all countries have daylight savings time and those that do, don’t all have it start or stop on the same day. Even if they did do it on the same days of the year, the people on the opposite hemispheres, they will be leaping forward while we leap back and then vice versa the next time it comes around. How in the world could reset take all that into consideration.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daylight_saving_time_by_country

(edited by Astral Projections.7320)

Posted by: Mizu.4508

Mizu.4508

Thanks for the heads up. Time to re-adjust back to 7pm resets. I was quite confused when they changed from 7pm to 8pm a few months back but now it makes sense.

Labjax.2465

How would a server give ‘whatever’ about DST, when all players using said server may not be affected by DST? Should it change time for some, but not others? How would that work?

Reset uses UTC time…which isn’t affected by any savings of any kind. I’m sure we can all do the math. =)

Well it’s a server, inanimate objects obviously can’t give any kittens about anything. :P

It’s just I’m sure they could program the servers to take DST into account. But it’s probably infinitely less confusing for them – considering the lack of DST for some areas, as you point out – to just let the time stay as it is, independent of weird stuff like our obsession with DST in the US.

Or words to that effect.

Astral Projections.7320

Well it’s a server, inanimate objects obviously can’t give any kittens about anything. :P

It’s just I’m sure they could program the servers to take DST into account. But it’s probably infinitely less confusing for them – considering the lack of DST for some areas, as you point out – to just let the time stay as it is, independent of weird stuff like our obsession with DST in the US.

How can the Megaservers take it into account? Different counties with different days that start daylight savings along with different counties that don’t have DST, all play together. In addition, the Southern Hemisphere is spring now (spring forward) while the Northern hemisphere is fall (fall back). How can the servers accommodate the 2 clocks going in opposite directions?

Labjax.2465

How can the Megaservers take it into account? Different counties with different days they have daylight savings along with different counties that done have DST, all play together. In addition, the Southern Hemisphere is spring now (spring forward) while the Northern hemisphere is fall (spring back). How can the severs accommodate the 2 clocks going in opposite directions?

I don’t know, does it matter? I just meant it’s technically feasible to program such a thing, not that it would be feasible in this particular situation. I’m not looking for an argument here.

Or words to that effect.

Astral Projections.7320

How can the Megaservers take it into account? Different counties with different days they have daylight savings along with different counties that done have DST, all play together. In addition, the Southern Hemisphere is spring now (spring forward) while the Northern hemisphere is fall (spring back). How can the severs accommodate the 2 clocks going in opposite directions?

I don’t know, does it matter? I just meant it’s technically feasible to program such a thing, not that it would be feasible in this particular situation. I’m not looking for an argument here.

I’m sure it might be somehow technically feasible to accommodate all the different countries that start or stop DST on different days, don’t have DST at all or are on different hemispheres so that while one clock is going forward, the other is going back.

Or they could have a set time for reset for everyone. Every 24 hours, no matter what everyone’s clocks are doing; going forward, back, or not changing time.

tolunart.2095

It’s not technically feasible.

What happens is that the servers reset every 24 hours, regardless of what the clock on the player’s desk says. For every player, in every country, the servers reset at the same instant.

What you’re talking about, the servers would reset at different times throughout the night, depending on where the player is located. But each time zone doesn’t have its own server, there’s only one set of servers that resets a half dozen times each night. Why? So I would still be working on my Dailies for Saturday while someone else has already finished his Dailies for Sunday. It doesn’t work like that.

The server resets when it resets. It doesn’t care what your clock says.

(edited by tolunart.2095)

Inculpatus cedo.9234

I don’t know how it would be technically feasible when in some time zones, Mountain for example, some areas keep Standard time all year long, where other areas use DST.

Unless, each particular player had their own clock with a reset time just for them…I suppose that could happen, as long as they were not allowed to play with anyone else that was not from their area.

Luckily, since launch, reset has been at midnight UTC, and always will be. We can figure it out…lol.

Edited for omitting the important word – NOT. Silly me!

(edited by Inculpatus cedo.9234)

Labjax.2465

Apparently saying “I’m not looking for an argument here” means “come correct me on the functioning of game servers.”

Anyway, tolunart, you are talking as if the servers physically reset on the hour and that’s what resets the dailies. If that was the case, the servers would go down lol.

It is most likely something to do with databases, which could, in theory, be told to flush/reset differently depending on the geographical location of the player. If anyone is going to correct me on this, they better have credentials from working with actual MMO software/hardware of this kind.

Again, I’m not trying to make an argument that it would be practical or feasible for GW2. I made a throwaway comment that it’s plausible to do, in theory. That is it. Holy crap. T_T

Or words to that effect.

tolunart.2095

Luckily, since launch, reset has been at midnight UTC, and always will be. We can figure it out…lol.

Exactly… I think some people are confused about what DST is for or something… the servers are set to a standard time zone that doesn’t change, for individual players their point of reference changes based on the time zone the individual is in. DST just means that their individual point of reference changes twice a year, shifting forward and backward. It doesn’t actually change anything, the sun still rises when it’s supposed to rise and sets when it’s supposed to set, the only thing that changes is the numbers on the clock.

These things only cause confusion when a player thinks that the servers are synchronized to his particular time zone when they are not. It’s why people keep getting confused when the monthly resets – in the USA server reset happens in early evening several hours before the end of the last day of the month. To those players, it seems like the month ended early – but they forget that it also began several hours early.

The servers are set to a particular time zone that doesn’t change. Every other time zone will be earlier or later than that zone depending on how far away you are. Without that, the servers would reset every hour which would just mean that no one would know how long you have to do the dailies/monthlies before reset.

Astral Projections.7320

I can just imagine the conversations in map chat if reset time was based on whether or not your county has DST and when.

Player 1: remember everyone, reset will be an hour earlier today.
Player 2: (from opposite hemispheres) no, It’s an hour later, not an hour earlier.
Player 3: (from a county that has DST on a different day) no, it’s next week.
Player 4: (from a country that doesn’t have DST) what in the world are you people talking about?

Or

in guild chat: missions are at reset today!
Mass confusion when everyone shows up at different times.

Or

In the labyrinth.
Player 1: Let’s wait 5 minutes for reset so everyone can get the daily for this boss.
Player 2: reset was an hour ago for me.
Player 3: reset was 2 hours ago
Player 4: reset is an hour from now.

tolunart.2095

I neither require nor desire your permission. I am correcting you because you do not seem to understand the point of having the servers synchronized to a particular time zone. It’s not feasible to have the servers reset for each time zone separately.

Among other considerations, a player could share his account with someone in another time zone. Log in via time zone A to complete tomorrow’s dailies, then log in via time zone B to complete today’s dailies. But if you’ve already completed tomorrow’s dailies, how can you complete today’s dailies?

Labjax.2465

I am correcting you because you do not seem to understand the point of having the servers synchronized to a particular time zone.

And therein lies your problem. You are looking for a fight where there was none.

Or words to that effect.

tolunart.2095

I am correcting you because you do not seem to understand the point of having the servers synchronized to a particular time zone.

And therein lies your problem. You are looking for a fight where there was none.

Nope, not fighting. There is no argument, because there is nothing to argue about. You are simply mistaken.

tolunart.2095

In the labyrinth.
Player 1: Let’s wait 5 minutes for reset so everyone can get the daily for this boss.
Player 2: reset was an hour ago for me.
Player 3: reset was 2 hours ago
Player 4: reset is an hour from now.

Exactly. This would involve throwing away the reasons for having a specific reset time in the first place.

Labjax.2465

Nope, not fighting. There is no argument, because there is nothing to argue about. You are simply mistaken.

If you can read that back to yourself a few times without realizing how contradictory and silly it is, you deserve a medal.

Or words to that effect.

tolunart.2095

Your statement was nonsense to begin with. “Server reset” is a common point of reference. If every player has his own point of reference, there is no common point of reference.

“I’m standing here.”
“No you’re not, I’m here, you’re there.”

Labjax.2465

Again, you are picking a fight where there is none. What part of “throwaway statement” is so hard to understand? Have you never had a conversation with someone in real life where you just say stuff and it isn’t meant to be taken with its literal meaning?

I guess congratulations to you, you apparently got your fight. Good job goading me.

Or words to that effect.

tolunart.2095

I’m simply correcting a mistake. Think of it as a teacher correcting a student who wrote
“2+2=5”

Your approval does not interest me.

Labjax.2465

There was no mistake though…..

And you keep talking about approval and permission, but methinks though dost protest too much. I never said my approval or permission should matter to you. I’m trying to do you a favor by explaining that you’re wasting your time on completely irrelevant nonsense.

If your goal is to correct a mistake, you haven’t succeeded in it. Only succeeded in derailing this thread into a quibble that was never there.

Or words to that effect.

tolunart.2095

I happen to enjoy completely irrelevant nonsense. There isn’t much else to read here.

Posted by: Astralporing.1957

Astralporing.1957

I don’t know how it would be technically feasible when in some time zones, Mountain for example, some areas keep Standard time all year long, where other areas use DST.

Unless, each particular player had their own clock with a reset time just for them…I suppose that could happen, as long as they were allowed to play with anyone else that was not from their area.

If we were talking about reset times only, then yeah, it might work – but we aren’t. Things like the world boss schedule are also dependant on it – and you just can’t have the same boss spawn on the same instance only for some people (while others will need to wait for another hour).

No instance can have several different server times at the same moment – and that would happen if servers were to take every player’s DST into consideration.

There was, what you suggested is simply impossible. Not until someone will find a way to mess with temporal mechanics, anyway.

Actions, not words.
Remember, remember, 15th of November

Labjax.2465

I happen to enjoy completely irrelevant nonsense. There isn’t much else to read here.

If you’re bored, you could knock your head against this thread: https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/bltc/Precursors-selling-for-70-Gold-on-TP/page/12#post4530614

The irrelevant nonsense is in abundance over there.

There was, what you suggested is simply impossible. Not until someone will find a way to mess with temporal mechanics, anyway.

Ok, missedThePoint.2335.

Or words to that effect.

Inculpatus cedo.9234

Unless, each particular player had their own clock with a reset time just for them…I suppose that could happen, as long as they were NOT allowed to play with anyone else that was not from their area.

If we were talking about reset times only, then yeah, it might work – but we aren’t. Things like the world boss schedule are also dependant on it – and you just can’t have the same boss spawn on the same instance only for some people (while others will need to wait for another hour).

No instance can have several different server times at the same moment – and that would happen if servers were to take every player’s DST into consideration.

Haha! Reading over your quote of what I said, I see I left out an important word…‘NOT’

I will go edit it. Thx

Labjax.2465

Stumbled across this looking at another MMO today. Thought it was kind of amusing, considering some of the contradiction going on in this thread:

There will be a scheduled maintenance period for Daylight Savings on Sunday, November 02, 2014 from 1:45 AM to 2:45 AM Central Time. The game servers will be unavailable for approximately 2 hours.

- Changes -

Adjusting server time back an hour. Don’t forget to change your clocks!

Or words to that effect.

tolunart.2095

If you’re bored, you could knock your head against this thread: https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/bltc/Precursors-selling-for-70-Gold-on-TP/page/12#post4530614

The irrelevant nonsense is in abundance over there.

Ok, missedThePoint.2335.

Isn’t it ironic…

As for the BLTC forum, I gave up on engaging the trolls there a long time ago, they just repeat themselves ad nauseum.

Labjax.2465

As for the BLTC forum, I gave up on engaging the trolls there a long time ago, they just repeat themselves ad nauseum.

Smart choice. I’ve only just started learning that, unfortunately. I seem to have short-term-memory-loss with such groups of people on internet forums.

I am pretty easy to troll when I get laser-focused on something.

Or words to that effect.

tolunart.2095

Smart choice. I’ve only just started learning that, unfortunately. I seem to have short-term-memory-loss with such groups of people on internet forums.

I am pretty easy to troll when I get laser-focused on something.

Same here, I can be too stubborn for my own good. In this thread’s case, while your idea could technically be implemented, the idea itself does not solve the “problem,” but only creates more problems because it would lead to multiple groups of players at different points in their “server day” depending on the player’s home time zone.

Anet solves the issue instead by setting server time to a single time zone which does not change. A player’s personal reference may change (in the US it happened an hour and a half ago) but he adapts to the server time rather than the server time adapting to him.

In the example you posted, the company has chosen to set their server time to a US time zone which does change twice a year, and so when this happens the server time adjusts with it. It’s good for US players who turn their clocks forward/back along with it, but confusing for those in the US who do not, and for the rest of the world, who may or may not change their clocks at some other time and thus have to adjust to time changes up to four times a year.

Personally, I think DST is an outdated concept, and causes confusion even among people who have been doing it their whole lives. Especially in the Spring, when most of the US “loses” an hour and people forget to turn their clocks ahead Sunday morning, then show up for work at 10 AM Monday thinking it’s 9 AM.

Posted by: Guhracie.3419

Guhracie.3419

If your servers give you kittens, make kittenade.

“Be angry about legendary weapons, sure, but what about the recent drought of content?”
-Mike O’Brien
Because we can’t be angry about both?

tolunart.2095

That sounds like it would be a female dog to clean up.

Labjax.2465

Same here, I can be too stubborn for my own good. In this thread’s case, while your idea could technically be implemented, the idea itself does not solve the “problem,” but only creates more problems because it would lead to multiple groups of players at different points in their “server day” depending on the player’s home time zone.

Anet solves the issue instead by setting server time to a single time zone which does not change. A player’s personal reference may change (in the US it happened an hour and a half ago) but he adapts to the server time rather than the server time adapting to him.

In the example you posted, the company has chosen to set their server time to a US time zone which does change twice a year, and so when this happens the server time adjusts with it. It’s good for US players who turn their clocks forward/back along with it, but confusing for those in the US who do not, and for the rest of the world, who may or may not change their clocks at some other time and thus have to adjust to time changes up to four times a year.

Personally, I think DST is an outdated concept, and causes confusion even among people who have been doing it their whole lives. Especially in the Spring, when most of the US “loses” an hour and people forget to turn their clocks ahead Sunday morning, then show up for work at 10 AM Monday thinking it’s 9 AM.

I agree completely. Like I said, I never intended to make an argument that switching around the times would work well for GW2. I may have inadvertently implied otherwise a couple of times, but if I did, it was accidental. I just knew I had seen the theory of it work in particular ways in other games, albeit with no recollection of the specifics.

But yeah, DST is just annoying imo. In a country where electricity is not only the norm but expected and streetlights are common, if not required, we really shouldn’t be worrying about a few daylight hours. I think “outdated” is exactly what it is.

Or words to that effect.

Inculpatus cedo.9234

I think the reason given for switching to Standard Time, rather than keeping DST year-round is to insure daylight in the mornings when children walk to school. If the sun doesn’t rise until 8 AM, it might be dangerous for said children. Children get out of school early enough in the afternoons for it to not be an issue, either way.