Time to refocus and clarify GW2's goals?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Gimp.9460

Gimp.9460

I bet if everyone stopped buying gems the policy would change over night.

Then we may get answers to things like the 2 year+ old Cantha thread… I hope they know how ridiculous that is and how insulting it is to let your players do nothing but speculate on near zero information given.

Something needs to be done, I have already stopped purchasing gems since a yr ago and hardly even play anymore except to do my ‘grocery list’ of things. All we can do is speak with our wallets, because words aren’t reaching them.

Step 1) uninstall
Step 2) go play any one of the multiple MMOs that have released expansions. (and had near full-disclosure on information leading up to them!)

Particle effect slider would be ‘too confusing’

Posted by: Linken.6345

Linken.6345

I bet if everyone stopped buying gems the policy would change over night.

Then we may get answers to things like the 2 year+ old Cantha thread… I hope they know how ridiculous that is and how insulting it is to let your players do nothing but speculate on near zero information given.

Something needs to be done, I have already stopped purchasing gems since a yr ago and hardly even play anymore except to do my ‘grocery list’ of things. All we can do is speak with our wallets, because words aren’t reaching them.

Step 1) uninstall
Step 2) go play any one of the multiple MMOs that have released expansions. (and had near full-disclosure on information leading up to them!)

Or game get shut down its bleep afterall, look what happen to city of heroes/ villains it was making a profit just not big enough

Posted by: Ohoni.6057

Ohoni.6057

People are impatient, and yes, I know it’s been two(2) years, but still, glaciers don’t move a mile a minute.

Yeah, but two years is an eternity in game dev time. I’ve played through two Assassin’s Creeds in that time, and will be starting on a third in the near future. Most games that aren’t MMOs just get played for a month or two and never again, and if that’s ANet’s goal for GW2 then I suppose I’ve been misreading them and that’s on me, but if they want to keep players invested in the ongoing present then we need some concrete goals to look forward to in the future as well.

Imagine if Blizzard just stopped communicating all of the sudden… idk why ANet gets away with crap like this.

Yeah, and to be clear, “communication” means conveying actual concrete information that we did not already know, not just repeating that “the devs read the boards” or that “we do not discuss things until they’re done,” that’s not communication, it’s just talk.

“If you spent as much time working on [some task] as
you spend complaining about it on the forums, you’d be
done by now.”

Posted by: Valandil Dragonhart.2371

Valandil Dragonhart.2371

^

Whichever way you cut it, it’s still not a good policy to withhold information from your customer base. As long as I’ve been playing this game for (since BWE1) I just can’t get excited about a game that I know nothing about the future of… not even plans for the future.

The old-school Arrow-Key warrior.
“Obtaining a legendary should be done through legendary feats…
Not luck and credit cards.”

Posted by: SpeedFiend.4521

SpeedFiend.4521

At a glance all I’m seeing is the same old, same old. Maybes won’t cut it. Let’s wait and see? I waited, and I haven’t seen yet. Until there’s a lot more clarity on what exactly is going on, I don’t see any reason to hang around. Waiting. Waiting might work as a game mechanic for browser-based games – for an MMO however, not so much.

Seriously, what’s your cut off? If you guys don’t want to continue waiting, when you are going to say enough is enough? What is the absolute deadline for Anet to get back to us? Or are deadlines only applicable to Anet?

Oh, don’t misunderstand, my cut off is long past. I haven’t actively played since the WvW “tournament”, and don’t have any intention to do more than the once-over LS episode playthrough anytime soon. I have no intention of grinding 10^16 bandit crests or whatever, I’m not interested in another quick n dirty “let’s give Buygate their win back” WvW tourney and I certainly don’t see anything interesting on the horizon given that dungeon content is apparently one of those no-no words to the devs.

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

Gaile,

Don’t let the obsessives and forum warriors get you down. There are millions of people enjoying the game and playing. Happy players are playing, not posting.

Sucking up the community reps will not get you a LinkedIn invite. There’s hasn’t been “millions of players” in GW2 since launch. For NA we’re looking at thousands, if not hundreds. While we do appreciate Gaile’s efforts in calming the angry mob that has become the forum, nothing in this medium will change the direction of GW2 aside from bug fixes. You’re so called “forum warriors” are long standing patrons that have more than likely invested thousands of hours in a world they have come to love and appreciate – show them some respect.

Well I’m sure there are more than just hundreds considering in my guild alone 98 people logged in and played last week. And we’re not a huge guild.

If one small guild on one server had 98 people log in, it’s reasonably certain that we don’t merely have hundreds of players.

The truth is you have no real clue how many players there are, so you should probably stop guessing.

Posted by: Yargesh.4965

Yargesh.4965

thought it was to kvetch and say ‘look at me!’

ok, but what did you think of my sugestions? did you find them exciting or not?

Pretty much the defining type of post in this thread.

We can’t have and angry Dlonie now can we?

Why?
You are super duper special, great.
It is their policy.

People seem to have attachment issues. This is a game, not a personal relationship. You may be a wonderful person, you may be a nutbar, all the same thing since you are a name and in some cases several books worth of postings on forums or whatever. Nothing more.
There is no relationship except business to customer.
They owe you nothing but the game.
If they lose people it is not because they don’t love you.

All you have is strawman and sad? You really need new material.

guess I did at that, have fun on this…. topic

I’d appreciate it if just one of your posts on this thread was even slightly constructive or contributed to the discussion.

Thanks.

No sorry you did start the thread but my opinion is that it is more full of whinge and whine than anything else. Many of the things that make up this thread are simply not near reality, and can be shown to be not near reality.
I am pointing this out in my own time and my own way. That you don’t find it flattering, I am not so concerned.

Valandil Dragonhart.2371

Well I’m sure there are more than just hundreds considering in my guild alone 98 people logged in and played last week. And we’re not a huge guild.

Interesting point – to show just how flawed the metrics in this game are, did you know that 16 people logged in last week from my guild? I find that kind of interesting, since I’m the only one in it.

I don’t put too much stock into the figures/metrics this game possesses, and neither should anyone else. And it’s no surprise that I and others are trying to redirect the topic of the thread back on course from another Vayne segué.

On topic, I like the idea of getting more constructive and somewhat definitive information in the form of updates on the game’s direction. If we can be told what to expect in some more defined type of outlook (stuff that we know will be happening, not could be happening, as clarified by Gaile) it would go a long way to appeasing the ‘angry mobs’ here, helping the dev’s focus on certain points of the game and giving the players something to look forward to.

Vayne.8563

Interesting point – to show just how flawed the metrics in this game are, did you know that 16 people logged in last week from my guild? I find that kind of interesting, since I’m the only one in it.

I don’t put too much stock into the figures/metrics this game possesses, and neither should anyone else. And it’s no surprise that I and others are trying to redirect the topic of the thread back on course from another Vayne segué.

On topic, I like the idea of getting more constructive and somewhat definitive information in the form of updates on the game’s direction. If we can be told what to expect in some more defined type of outlook (stuff that we know will be happening, not could be happening, as clarified by Gaile) it would go a long way to appeasing the ‘angry mobs’ here, helping the dev’s focus on certain points of the game and giving the players something to look forward to.

Umm hate to break it to you but my metrics are different. I actually went down the guild roster and looked at last log in date.

Valandil Dragonhart.2371

The metrics on GW2 are NOT to be relied upon. As already explained, my guild is proof of that.

Thanks for the offtopic again. /smh

Posted by: Ohoni.6057

Ohoni.6057

The metrics on GW2 are NOT to be relied upon. As already explained, my guild is proof of that.

No, Vayne’s right here. He wasn’t just going by the “how many people have logged in” metric, which as you noted is flawed (I also have a personal guild), he’s going by the full roster, and checking to see how many people on that list, individually, had logged in within the last week. That doesn’t mean they participated in the guild, but it should accurately reflect whether they logged into the game or not.

“If you spent as much time working on [some task] as
you spend complaining about it on the forums, you’d be
done by now.”

Vayne.8563

No, Vayne’s right here. He wasn’t just going by the “how many people have logged in” metric, which as you noted is flawed (I also have a personal guild), he’s going by the full roster, and checking to see how many people on that list, individually, had logged in within the last week. That doesn’t mean they participated in the guild, but it should accurately reflect whether they logged into the game or not.

Yeah I’m sure some of those people only join us occassionally for guild missions, but I see them in all the time. Out of those 98 people, I’m sure more than 90 of them actively play.

Posted by: Enzi.5496

Enzi.5496

After 2 years of being all over the place with the content you really have the nerve to tell us you don’t lack direction?

Everthing you said in the beginning or in the manifest trailer has changed in the game.

On top of that, your game is not fun to play anymore. It’s full of stuns, knockbacks, 1-hit mechanics, sloppy hitboxes and inacurrate or missing telegraphs.

For a company that iterates so much on the ‘FUN’ part you missed what fun really means. I’ve yet to find another game that makes me so angry in a short amount of time than this.

Posted by: misterman.1530

misterman.1530

On top of that, your game is not fun to play anymore. It’s full of stuns, knockbacks, 1-hit mechanics, sloppy hitboxes and inacurrate or missing telegraphs.

Yeah. Those mordem tendrils are awesome at sloppy mechanics. That one boss fight in the latest LS chapter made me absolutely think of old-school arcade games where you just ran around dodging crap from an enemy that, based on everything you’ve faced in the game up until that point, is so totally out of left field that it leaves you shaking your head.

Posted by: Zui.9245

Zui.9245

We want to know where this game is headed, and we’d like some communication on this front from ANET. At the very least, we’d like to discuss the silence policy (communication policy) that prevents said meaningful communication. That is what this thread is about.

It’s not about how many people in your guild actively play, or even how many people actively play the game.

It would be nice to keep this thread on topic.

Posted by: dlonie.6547

dlonie.6547

No sorry you did start the thread but my opinion is that it is more full of whinge and whine than anything else. Many of the things that make up this thread are simply not near reality, and can be shown to be not near reality.
I am pointing this out in my own time and my own way. That you don’t find it flattering, I am not so concerned.

I said nothing about the posts being flattering or not. I don’t mind disagreement, but posting nothing but snide one-liners isn’t adding anything to the discussion. Feel free to post a differing opinion to another poster, but try to add something of value that moves the discussion in a constructive direction.

(edited by dlonie.6547)

Posted by: Kheldorn.5123

Kheldorn.5123

The simpliest answer is always the best answer.
They aren’t annoucing anything because there is nothing to announce. Simple.

Posted by: phys.7689

phys.7689

Some things i want Gaile to understand, so she can better represent what players here are trying to communicate, if there ever comes a time that she can try to transmit this to the concerned parties

• CDI is not a roadmap, yeah Mike O brein said try to treat it as such, but its not. The people who run it make it clear in the first page notes about it. Its a brainstorming session. Spitballing ideas. Its very nice and good, but it cannot be a roadmap as long as it has the qualification that nothing discussed within represents future plans.
  • stringing people along the best way to string a person along is not to tell them whats going on. There are two ways to string someone along, tell them lies, anantd tell them nothing. The key to not stringing someone along is telling them exactly what they want to know, and sometimes what they do not want to know, but is relevant.

Eh well whatevs, you guys are hearing us, but you are not listening, good luck, i hope you start to create better content, and get a pulse on what the players want to keep them interested in the game.

I hope by the time you guys announce these type of things, i havent built up a feeling of bad blood, and antipathy towards the product.

Posted by: McSlappy.1372

McSlappy.1372

My questions would be when are they going to get back to a game that is played for fun rather then played to grind? Grind for gold, grind for gear. When they released the game it was all about playing to have fun and running around killing Yaks all day in WvW was a blast. Then they brought out Ascended, Fractals, and a slew of other grind fests. I am playing through War Lords of Draenor and there is no sense of grinding at all. Even at the end of Pandaria there wasn’t any grinding. There was some fun guild raids and PUG raids if you were in to that. But the PvP you could get the best gear in the game relatively quickly and then just play.

It sounds like GW2 promised something different from the other big games, but then it evolved to to the worse case of it then any of the other games. Right now not playing GW2 and doing anything else in other games or RL is time better spent.

I don’t know if they can fix that. Even if they did remove ascended gear,(which would tick off a ton, but wouldn’t be the first time they just remove some achievements), or made Legendary’s non pay to win they’d still be going back to a concept that most who have left don’t associate the game with. They won’t get those people back and they’d still be trying to go back and fix a game that’s now 2 years old. Like if they came out with the legendary scavenger hunt. Great we’re now able still have to put a ton of grind in for something that’s two years old……… Dunno how they’re gonna fix the game I don’t know that I could even from that state they’ve put it in. Probably just let it pass in to history as just another next big WoW contender that failed.

McSlappy.1372

Ohh one thing was going to mention. If this is what free to play games are like. It’s the perfect example of you get what you pay for. I happily give Blizz a monthly sub. The only reason I’d be interested in a GW2 expansion is to actually see the sales numbers on an earnings call and see how many actually play still.

Posted by: masterJP.5048

masterJP.5048

My questions would be when are they going to get back to a game that is played for fun rather then played to grind? Grind for gold, grind for gear. When they released the game it was all about playing to have fun and running around killing Yaks all day in WvW was a blast. Then they brought out Ascended, Fractals, and a slew of other grind fests. I am playing through War Lords of Draenor and there is no sense of grinding at all. Even at the end of Pandaria there wasn’t any grinding. There was some fun guild raids and PUG raids if you were in to that. But the PvP you could get the best gear in the game relatively quickly and then just play.

It sounds like GW2 promised something different from the other big games, but then it evolved to to the worse case of it then any of the other games. Right now not playing GW2 and doing anything else in other games or RL is time better spent.

I don’t know if they can fix that. Even if they did remove ascended gear,(which would tick off a ton, but wouldn’t be the first time they just remove some achievements), or made Legendary’s non pay to win they’d still be going back to a concept that most who have left don’t associate the game with. They won’t get those people back and they’d still be trying to go back and fix a game that’s now 2 years old. Like if they came out with the legendary scavenger hunt. Great we’re now able still have to put a ton of grind in for something that’s two years old……… Dunno how they’re gonna fix the game I don’t know that I could even from that state they’ve put it in. Probably just let it pass in to history as just another next big WoW contender that failed.

You say that WoW have raid for people that are into it ? Well so is fractals , if your into it do it , otherwise don’t. And in pvp in GW2 you HAVE the best gear , it does’nt take little effort…It takes NO effort….You can’t get less grind than that. Also Ascended have a 5-10% increase in stats If you dont plan on doing fractals it ain’t needed

Lordy Green , THE Elementalist
Angela Sky , THE Guardian
Orochimarei , THE Necromancer

McSlappy.1372

You say that WoW have raid for people that are into it ? Well so is fractals , if your into it do it , otherwise don’t. And in pvp in GW2 you HAVE the best gear , it does’nt take little effort…It takes NO effort….You can’t get less grind than that. Also Ascended have a 5-10% increase in stats If you dont plan on doing fractals it ain’t needed

But see you ware wrong. If you don’t have Ascended gear you don’t have the best gear in game. What you think is or is not needed is subjective. What has the best stats is not subjective. Ascended gear is the best in game. It is massive grind taking several months to get. So your “NO effort….You can’t get less grind than that.” is the coolaid the devs have been feeding you. Wake up and look at reality and not swallow the hype.

Also if you run up against an opponent that is 10% better then you on all their stats. You have 10% more health and armor to get through of theirs while they’re beating you down 10% faster. It’s WAY MORE then just 5-10% better you don’t need it. Math helps just a hint.

Posted by: Killthehealersffs.8940

Killthehealersffs.8940

Ohh one thing was going to mention. If this is what free to play games are like. It’s the perfect example of you get what you pay for. I happily give Blizz a monthly sub. The only reason I’d be interested in a GW2 expansion is to actually see the sales numbers on an earnings call and see how many actually play still.

If you are happy paying your sub to a one billion dollars company /per year , for a rehased (scaled up) Molten Core (original wow 60 lvl Raid) , you are free to do it :P
Rther than demanding that game to have 8-9 Raids …

Btw what is a pay to win legendary ?
Thanks god we dont have pay to win boost to istantly lvl up 1 character up to 90 for 50 dollars :P

McSlappy.1372

Thanks god we dont have pay to win boost to istantly lvl up 1 character up to 90 for 50 dollars :P

A pay to win Legendary is what is in GW2. It is a legendary that you can do everything in game and due to extremely low RNG you will most likely still never get the necessary pieces to make it. The other way is to grind a huge amount of gold to buy it in game or purchase it for a couple hundred from company in this game gem store as your only means to get it.

Boosting a character is an additional service not needed or required to play the game or get the best gear in game. You get one free boost included with the expansion so that you can immediately join your friends in current content without having to play separate for days to catch up to where your buddies are. It reduces grind something GW2 used to be about. Interesting how the wheel turns. If you want more then one character boosted to 90 then you have to pay additional for it to prevent everyone from just boosting everything. It’s about balance which is beyond the scope of explaining in this post.

Posted by: Dreadforce.6980

Dreadforce.6980

What can you do at this point as a player stick around and hope? I don’t like that idea.

In 2013 anet said they had big things happening in the background now at the end of 2014 I’m sure that was just everything to do with china.

The old LS was flawed but so is the new LS where do you see dry top or the silver wastes in 6 months? I see it empty 95% of the time. What is a player who starts in 3 months going to think when they have pay for the story related to the zone and/or not be able to accomplish anything in them. I see people say use lfg tool to find an active map well I have and I don’t find one now in a few months what is a new player going to do?

The biggest issue for me is how content is delivered. Any small amount of content released is instantly done by players because its all there is that is new and with that unless it can be farmed it dies out quickly which also leads to people trying to get everything done a.s.a.p so they have a chance of doing it at all.

Posted by: tigirius.9014

tigirius.9014

3 days and 4 pages with no reply have Gaile forsaken us?

Never! I was in England for a few days. Lots and lots of meetings, and I’m sorry I wasn’t able to post too much while I was away!

The whole lack of direct communication now has me feeling like the direction of the game itself might be in limbo and that is worrisome. Isn’t it odd that all these new hires and ads for specific people (one would associate with expansion like content) have hit so far down the road, 2 years in? I think to be honest the silence is a way to keep us all distracted from the truth, LS and rehashed holiday content is all that is on the horizon for a very long time and if they do lay out the roadmap the fear is that many will simply walk away and stop supporting the game.
Think about it and tell me you don’t draw the same conclusions at this point. Why the silence, why the lack of a roadmap, why the lack of specific answers regarding things like dungeons, classes, traits, races?

Ok, here’s some info on these specific comments:

• The silence is decidedly not a distraction effort. As Mike O’Brien said, "We’ve set a clear policy in the past year: “We don’t talk speculatively about future development. We don’t want to string you along. of the CDI threads is to talk with you about the roadmap.” If you’re not participating, you’re missing out on a means of sharing your feedback and a method that we may use to give information, when the time is right.

That’s awesome and all but I think some of the people here are asking the question, what about the things they already said were to happen? 8 months ago there were several promises made in the forums by multiple reps and we’re still not seeing a peep about things already mentioned. Why not give us a definitive answer on those things already mentioned. It’s one thing to not give us any ideas on what is coming next, but to completely disregard things that were already on the table in previous communications pretty much frustrates people to no end when they don’t see any action on those things.

Things like a complete revamp of rewards system, precursor scavenger hunt, condition damage stacking for PVE, and the hobosacks have all been quietly not answered by anyone on the team about when and what will happen. I know I’m not alone when I say that this alone has pretty much not given me any warm fuzzies about where this is going. It feels like November 2012 all over again frankly.

I can tell you Gaile that the CDI that was chosen is absolutely NOT the most important aspect to fix right now, list or no list.

Balance Team: Please Fix Mine Toolbelt Positioning!

masterJP.5048

But see you ware wrong. If you don’t have Ascended gear you don’t have the best gear in game. What you think is or is not needed is subjective. What has the best stats is not subjective. Ascended gear is the best in game. It is massive grind taking several months to get. So your “NO effort….You can’t get less grind than that.” is the coolaid the devs have been feeding you. Wake up and look at reality and not swallow the hype.

Also if you run up against an opponent that is 10% better then you on all their stats. You have 10% more health and armor to get through of theirs while they’re beating you down 10% faster. It’s WAY MORE then just 5-10% better you don’t need it. Math helps just a hint.

At the NO…Effort I was talking about PvP , Your stats are the same in pvp , a Green level 10 item has the same stats as a level 80 Ascended item.

McSlappy.1372

At the NO…Effort I was talking about PvP , Your stats are the same in pvp , a Green level 10 item has the same stats as a level 80 Ascended item.

Last time I was in WvW there was not gear equalization. Okay well in that case I stand corrected if they added gear equalization at some point in the last two years.

masterJP.5048

Last time I was in WvW there was not gear equalization. Okay well in that case I stand corrected if they added gear equalization at some point in the last two years.

Normal spvp

Posted by: dlonie.6547

dlonie.6547

Let’s get back on track guys — we can discuss grind vs. no grind in a new thread if needed

masterJP.5048

WvW is mostly look who has the bigger blob , exept if your roaming in which case I suppose it does make a diffrence

masterJP.5048

Let’s get back on track guys — we can discuss grind vs. no grind in a new thread if needed

Sorry

Posted by: Simzani.4318

Simzani.4318

Indeed. Some (most ? ) of us have this stance. When you see gaile writing that the featureless pack and the next pvp thing are “substantial”, we know we lost them. I think they are honest, and they really think that the normal on-going qol improvment of the game is “substantial”. But that logic is flawed. They even hold the release of their work in this department for 6 months, to make us think that it is a “substantial” update called feature pack. They could patch when it is ready but they don’t. The big thing they are or were working on was collections and other tiny things, they honestly think that.

Gaile said that it is normal if projects are scrapped and return on the drawing board. Yes it is normal once, twice. But not for all projects, not everytime, not tenth time for finally scrap it entirely. That’s why nothing big is added ? Because most of the work of their 350 workers are always held back multiple time then scrapped ? If you ask, I can point you MMO that publish way more work with smaller team. I don’t think the contrary exists ; the only example I have is warhammer online.

And here is the part where I think that something, certainly most of the managers, is kittened up in arenanet. GW2 could have been the king in horizontal progression, but they fail miserably at that. They can’t even monetise their game well. They lack systems and don’t work on it or plan to add. We have no companions, housing, guild halls, mounts, skills to customise and to spend € on. Skin hunting is a thing, and most of other games have it, siding other systems ; they don’t even make the effort to make outfits normal armor parts, so they could sell more. And the xp bar at bottom continue to level again and again for nothing. There is no vertical progression, there is no horizontal progression ; there is no progression, a big flaw in a MMO.

What happened since release ? Wrong persons were promoted managers and break the dev of the game ? It seems rotten deeply in there, and I’d really like NCsoft to put his feets in.

Few last things, we now know that 2 mini-maps/year and a single questline is the maximum that the LS team can do, on top with maybe a dragon wb. And CDI is not a roadmap, it is not even a sign that they think to begin to work on the subject someday.

So gaile, what is arenanet doing ? Do they work on “substantial by arenanet standards” update ? Or do they work on update on par with the rest of MMO studios ? Some of us think that nothing middle-to-big is coming so you can’t talk about things, and looking the 2 years frame we are right. Prove us we are wrong ?

Posted by: Killthehealersffs.8940

Killthehealersffs.8940

A pay to win Legendary is what is in GW2. It is a legendary that you can do everything in game and due to extremely low RNG you will most likely still never get the necessary pieces to make it. The other way is to grind a huge amount of gold to buy it in game or purchase it for a couple hundred from company in this game gem store as your only means to get it.

Boosting a character is an additional service not needed or required to play the game or get the best gear in game. You get one free boost included with the expansion so that you can immediately join your friends in current content without having to play separate for days to catch up to where your buddies are. It reduces grind something GW2 used to be about. Interesting how the wheel turns. If you want more then one character boosted to 90 then you have to pay additional for it to prevent everyone from just boosting everything. It’s about balance which is beyond the scope of explaining in this post.

Legendary too , is not required :P
Only for ppl that like o barbie doll their character :P

And when their balance patches varies humogous every 3 months wilth huge nerf-buffs , in creates the ’’need’’ for ppl to use the 90 boost + lvl up and exploit the ‘’flavor in the month class’’ in the competive pvp scenes :P

I have bought and i am still playing the WoD with my friends till gw2 ‘’upgrade some core elements’’ , but i dont kitten in a game that make 90% less money for 2 years + 1 from the MMO-Champion site :P
But rather , i am trying to help to create ‘’something more’’ to the genre , that other games will copy paste it :P

(edited by Killthehealersffs.8940)

Posted by: nightwulf.1986

nightwulf.1986

I like this answer if only because in its simplicity, the meaning behind it is totally a reflection of the person reading it.

Posted by: Capitol City.4856

Capitol City.4856

I really don’t think there’s a point to this thread anymore, you guys aren’t even complaining about the same thing at this point. The only common complaint I see is that Anet is silent, but that’s already been addressed, so I’m not sure where anyone’s going at this point. I also REALLY don’t see the point in posts such as “I’ve given up on GW2, time to go back to _ MMO”. If that’s the case, why are you even commenting? What’s the point in telling us that you’re no longer playing GW2 in a forum about improving GW2? I’m pretty sure there used to be a point to this thread, but it’s been taken over by angry ex-players who are now incapable of actually contributing to the forums.

Posted by: Xenon.4537

Xenon.4537

…trying to redirect the topic of the thread back on course from another Vayne segué.

First of all, Vayne is only trying to point out logical fallacies.

Vix.6730:

For NA we’re looking at thousands, if not hundreds.

The very same flawed anecdotal metrics you accuse Vayne of using. Arguably, Vayne at least went down his roster and counted. Vix was making up figures off the top of his head. Vayne’s reply to Vix’s this post is perfectly valid.

You can have a thread with perfectly good intentions, but if you are going to fill it with logical fallacies and disrespect, I hardly blame Anet for refusing to respond here.

Posted by: John.5732

John.5732

. . .

• Living World and holidays are important, yes. They are not the only thing on which the team is working, quite clearly, when you see substantial updates coming out on a regular basis. (Case in point: feature packs, the coming PvP update, etc.)
  • We are not “afraid” to lay out a roadmap. Quoting Mike again, “The intention of the CDI threads is to talk with you about the roadmap.” If you’re not participating, you’re missing out on a means of sharing your feedback and a method that we may use to give information, when the time is right.

I have a few issues with these statements. First, as I’m sure you’ve seen over and over, CDI’s are not a roadmap or a discussion on a roadmap. In fact, they are the opposite. It is usually where the Dev talks about an idea freely but with no ties to the development of GW2 in specific. They may frame the discussion in what is possible / likely to be made for GW2, but they never discuss a roadmap the game follows and actively discourage viewing the discussion as anything but a daydreaming idea session.

Second, you and the players in this thread seem to have a very different idea on what “substantial update” is. In fact, even Anet disagrees with you, Gaile, that the feature packs (April and Sept 2014 feature packs) were substantial updates. When players asked why desired content like new weapons for professions, new professions, new legendaries, precursor crafting, new races, new dungeons, new fractals, fixing fractals, and many other requested and discussed ideas were not released in the April and Sept 2014 feature packs, we were told these were QoL changes and features. Content, according to Anet, would not come in feature packs. Are you saying this has changed?

So, let me ask this question clearer: Where are the content updates that would include substantial content like new weapons for professions, new professions, new legendaries, precursor crafting, new races, new dungeons, new fractals, and other large updates?

Leader of the Kingdom of [Shu] Guild
Devona’s Rest

Posted by: Gele.2048

Gele.2048

Arena net you are losing players your police is stupid as hell wake up ,most of them think no expansion no need from me to invest no more time and money in game that got so slow updates and no future this is how me and many of my friends are thinking this is how mmo works u show people what u working on so they play the game knowing it has future as long as there is nothing new and big like expansion not that living story content which is 2 hours in 1 day and u done whit all of it ,i will not support this company gem vise etc and i have bout more then 10 copies for friends family no more

Xenon.4537

So, let me ask this question clearer: Where are the content updates that would include substantial content like new weapons for professions, new professions, new legendaries, precursor crafting, new races, new dungeons, new fractals, and other large updates?

You seem to have a misunderstanding of the difference between “content” and “features”. They are indeed two distinct things in game design. A good rule of thumb to tell the difference is that “Content” is stuff you play through, while “Features” are things you use to play the content.

Of the things you listed, here is the breakdown.

Content:
- new fractals
- new dungeons

Features:
- new weapons
- new professions
- new legendaries
- precursor crafting
- new races

Please don’t take this the wrong way. I want to see more content and features added as much as you do. I just hope I can clarify any misunderstandings. When Anet said they would not add features and content together, what they meant is that they would not add content like a new map (such as Silverwastes) while introducing something like the Wardrobe (a feature) in the same patch.

Anet seems to think we are incapable of digesting more than one thing at a time. It’s beginning to feel like they are treating us like small children. This is the consequence of having people throw temper tantrums on the forums every time Anet tries to add anything meaningful to the game.

Posted by: Tobias Trueflight.8350

Tobias Trueflight.8350

Anet seems to think we are incapable of digesting more than one thing at a time. It’s beginning to feel like they are treating us like small children. This is the consequence of having people throw temper tantrums on the forums every time Anet tries to add anything meaningful to the game.

No, I think it’s a consequence of it but not in that we’re being treated like small children. What I expect is closer to it is if they only work on one thing at a time, it’s less to change at any given time and a greater focus can be made when the forums (inevitably) explode with indignation.

Seeking assistants for the Asuran Catapult Project. Applicants will be tested for aerodynamics.

Posted by: Verificus.4320

Verificus.4320

Don’t know if this has been posted/linked already but Kate Welch, who recently left Anet (you probably know her from the first 5 episodes from PoI) implores developers to be more transparant. I wonder if this is a hint at her previous employer.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jEAUIiD4DHw&list=UUrbBjHMbepzay_485wAsO8A

Posted by: John.5732

John.5732

Xenon, point taken. But, Anet came out and said after the NPE that the things I listed would not be added in a feature pack. So I was asking when and how do those things get added.

Leader of the Kingdom of [Shu] Guild
Devona’s Rest

Xenon.4537

Don’t know if this has been posted/linked already but Kate Welch, who recently left Anet (you probably know her from the first 5 episodes from PoI) implores developers to be more transparant. I wonder if this is a hint at her previous employer.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jEAUIiD4DHw&list=UUrbBjHMbepzay_485wAsO8A

Wow that video really hit me in the feels. Everything she said addressing players was spot on.

Vayne.8563

The simplest answer is that business announce things like expansions when it’s profitable to do so. When SWToR came out, Trion went completely silent about Rift and stayed silent for three months. It wasn’t that they had nothing in the works. It was that they didn’t want to waste advertising dollars, because they knew they couldn’t compete with SWToR.

The WoW expansion has been hyped for months and it’s just come out. Which means that spending time hyping or even mentioning something that would get lost would be a waste of opportunity.

Watching the industry is how you find out what’s going on. Not by guessing.

McSlappy.1372

She’s pretty spot on with one little exception. She’s right they are the best of the best in those positions. I don’t care if anyone believes or not but having worked at a game development company a loooooooooooooong time ago, Pre EQ days they are the best of the best that are willing to take the crappy salaries, super long grueling hours, etc. It was fun for a while but yeah it is no longer business it really does become your job. When you go home the last thing you want to do is play games even if their not the ones or even the type your working on. So a lot of the better people do take the better non gaming jobs. And then complain about game design blah blah =P

Xenon.4537

Xenon, point taken. But, Anet came out and said after the NPE that the things I listed would not be added in a feature pack. So I was asking when and how do those things get added.

Can you link where they said that? Again, some of the things you listed count as features, and some as content, and according to Anet they would not be released simultaneously. That doesn’t mean they would never be added. Features would be added via feature pack, content via content pack.

That said, I’m starting to believe they might be changing their minds on this policy. The story journal with it’s episodic format creates a great opportunity to (for example) add new weapons or traits as part of the new map and story.

Actually I think I made a small mistake. Things like traits and weapons aren’t necessarily content or features. They are really game mechanics. Traits could be added through either type of pack. We saw the 40 new GM traits added in the April Feature pack. However, I see no reason a new set of GM traits could not be unlocked via a new world boss in Silverwastes. A new world boss in a new map counts as content. The same could be said of new weapons, and possibly professions and races, but new professions and races would be a gigantic leap from just traits. I would expect an actual expansion pack for those.

This is all very “what if”. I doubt Anet is willing to shed any light on it in the near future.

Posted by: petespri.6548

petespri.6548

Actually Vayne, he is correct.

You think it is b/c of other releases when 1- anet says it is their policy and 2- that would mean that there is no good time to release info b/c other games come out with new stuff all the time.

No, we have seen anets hand over the last two years. What we have gotten is what they consider substantial updates. For all of you hoping for races, skills, weapons… Forget it, it is not in the cards for the game.

Oh, and if the CDI is communication, I guess that means we get raids in about 12 months, and they will be just as zergy as everything else pve in this game that they refuse to even attempt to resolve.

Posted by: Cole Eyre.8471

Cole Eyre.8471

If there was a forum where my customers were discussing my business the way people here are discussing aNet, I would be very scared for my business.

These forums are filled with a lot of this:

User: please give us anything in the way of information about what you’re actually working on. You’re not communicating with us.

Them: yes we are, we are communicating with you.

Xenon.4537

If there was a forum where my customers were discussing my business the way people here are discussing aNet, I would be very scared for my business.

These forums are filled with a lot of this:

User: please give us anything in the way of information about what you’re actually working on. You’re not communicating with us.

Them: yes we are, we are communicating with you.

Have you ever heard the phrase “he talks a lot but says very little”? That’s kind of what Anet does. They don’t want to commit to empty promises, so they wait until the last possible minute to reveal information when its all set in stone. In the meantime they pay lip service and provide idle chatter.

I think what people really want is to know this game has some kind of bright future. It’s like Kate Welch said in that video above. We want to become personally invested and we want true transparency. That means we want to know what is being developed, how it’s being developed, and we want to be able to provide our feedback on it before it gets dumped in our laps.

We don’t want to be strung along by vague ideas (and gems store items) only to be given content and features that they consider 100% done, when in fact they are sometimes flawed and need further attention. We don’t want to wait until after it’s released to give feedback because once the devs kick it out the door, they tend to want to wipe their hands of it and leap-frog to the next thing; leaving a potentially buggy or flawed thing for months or years before it gets fixed. That’s what we are getting now, and it’s the opposite of transparency.