Tinfoil Hats

Tinfoil Hats

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: arrownin.3128

arrownin.3128

Seriously folks.
You all need to take them off and calm down. There is so many apocalypse threads, and conspiracy theory threads, and threads made just to complain that it’s like walking into an old folks home discussing their fears of dubstep making children into demons.

I’d actually like to take this time to thank the moderators, the PR staff from ANet, and the developers for having the patience to deal with all of us. Yes, myself included. They’re working their tails off to fix current issues, to make new content, and to keep improving on old content; and they do this all for free. (assuming you don’t buy gems)

Most problems are not really issues.
Class imbalances always exist, even WoW can’t seem to get it right, and btw; that old fable about only two people working on balance in GW2 is false, there are quite a few teams doing this. Ascended armor is not that big of a deal, the stat increases aren’t really going to help all that much. Unless they continue to release more upgrades and more tiers of armor, we don’t need to worry. No, screaming that they are going to, and the game is dead because of it isn’t valid, take off your x-ray glasses and foil hat. The economy took a strange hit because of the one time event that dropped precursors, and that was a mistake on Anet’s part to put such a high drop rate in, but they will fix it in time. Nexon isn’t going to buy out ArenaNet. Improvements will be made. The game will evolve over time.

But really, the point of this post is to say this: There really isn’t much wrong with the game, speculation and worrying will just kill you. Just have fun, and if you aren’t, well you wont lose anything from leaving, the game will be here waiting for you when you get back.

(edited by arrownin.3128)

Tinfoil Hats

Posted by: ShadowGryphon.6257

ShadowGryphon.6257

While I agree with most everything here, I have to agree the most with the idea of items being “soulbound” and the DR.
Useless, useless, useless.

If someone is talking behind your back… Fart.
North Alabama Guild Wars Players
http://tinyurl.com/y9hj2h4b

Tinfoil Hats

arrownin.3128

While I agree with most everything here, I have to agree the most with the idea of items being “soulbound” and the DR.
Useless, useless, useless.

Yeah there’s a few design flaws in the game but there’s nothing too serious. Everything can be fixed. =)

Tinfoil Hats

Posted by: Raine.1394

Raine.1394

You set this up perfectly. There are nutjobs on the prowl with all manner of crazy issues but there are only a relatively small number of “real issues”, which just happen to be your issues. I love this kind of OP because I couldn’t make this stuff up.

Tinfoil Hats

Posted by: Valtameri.2075

Valtameri.2075

I think one of the biggest concerns atm is dead zones, theres nothing fun on passing several DE’s because there’s just no one around and some of them aren’t designed to be done alone.

Tinfoil Hats

arrownin.3128

You set this up perfectly. There are nutjobs on the prowl with all manner of crazy issues but there are only a relatively small number of “real issues”, which just happen to be your issues. I love this kind of OP because I couldn’t make this stuff up.

The blind man said that the music was too loud whilst the deaf man complained about the strobe lights.

Tinfoil Hats

Posted by: nic.5720

nic.5720

Oh well that’s sorted then! You say it must be so. So it must be so. Right?

Stating your opinion is fine. But to belittle other peoples’ valid concerns with suggesting their choice of headgear in such a way is immensely discourteous.

You may also like to do a little bit of homework before making strange claims in your posts.

e.g. Nexon are the majority shareholder (14.7%) in NCSoft. NCSoft own ArenaNet. ArenaNet make Guild Wars 2. I hope that the connection is clear to you.

Tinfoil Hats

arrownin.3128

Stating your opinion is fine. But to belittle other peoples’ valid concerns with suggesting their choice of headgear in such a way is immensely discourteous.

You may also like to do a little bit of homework before making strange claims in your posts.

e.g. Nexon are the majority shareholder (14.7%) in NCSoft. NCSoft own ArenaNet. ArenaNet make Guild Wars 2. I hope that the connection is clear to you.

You are aware that NCSoft is the publisher. They don’t own ArenaNet. ArenaNet as a developer has full control of the final say in their game. You should do a little bit of homework before making strange claims in your replies.

Tinfoil Hats

nic.5720

You might like to know that;

“The company was acquired by NCsoft in 2002”

From information freely available on the interwebs!!!

Nice try arownin!

Tinfoil Hats

Posted by: Serelisk.6573

Serelisk.6573

You are aware that NCSoft is the publisher. They don’t own ArenaNet. ArenaNet as a developer has full control of the final say in their game. You should do a little bit of homework before making strange claims in your replies.

ArenaNet is a wholly owned subsidiary of NCSoft. :P

However, NCSoft for a long time has been seemingly hands off. Now that Nexon is the majority shareholder of NCSoft, (to my understanding) by proxy they have quite a bit of stake and control in what happens in ArenaNet and NCSoft.

I don’t want to believe that they’re intentionally muddying up our game for profits though. In my fan-boy mind, ArenaNet would rather mass-terminate their own jobs and become a 270 man team of unemployed, creative and talented people with a vision that remained intact rather than be the victim studio of corporate idiocy. And that all this fotm and gear treadmills stuff is a misunderstanding and everything will be alright.

Kegmaster

Tinfoil Hats

Posted by: Loic.4367

Loic.4367

Class imbalances always exist, even WoW can’t seem to get it right, and btw; that old fable about only two people working on balance in GW2 is false, there are quite a few teams doing this.

I don’t mean to challenge this statement, since I don’t actually know any more about it than any other player, but speaking just for myself, I believe in this “fable” because I actually saw a red post where a developer straight up said that there were two people working on class balancing.

Again, I’m just raising an eyebrow in doubt. What proof do you have against this? I’m pretty sure people believe the whole “two developers” thing because there’s one huge, solid piece of evidence supporting it.

Tinfoil Hats

Posted by: Arshay Duskbrow.1306

Arshay Duskbrow.1306

Incorrect, as noted above. Maybe next time you should consider practicing what you preach, huh?

Tinfoil Hats

Posted by: Narkosys.5173

Narkosys.5173

Lol NC Soft can tell anet to whatever NC Soft wants and they must obey. As stated above and also they are the money people. They can and do have direct say in how this game progresses. Nexon owns 15% of NC Soft and can tell NC Soft what to do as they have the voting power to do so.

Just because up till now they have been hands off doesnt mean they are now.
Also why do you think EA is such a horrible publisher – because it directly meddles in the companies it owns – the game studios forcing their will to be done.

Yes the pvp devs stated that there are 2 main devs working on balance and that is all.
Search ….

(edited by Narkosys.5173)

Tinfoil Hats

nic.5720

Thanks for the appropriate link Serelisk… A post from ANet themselves carries so much more weight than the link from Wikipedia that I considered posting.

And Loic… I think that this is the post where Jon Peters suggests that there are only 2 designers working on class balance in GW2.

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/professions/ranger/General-Patch-Discussion-merged/746290

I guess that it just goes to show that when it comes to wearing tin foil hats (and maybe even x-ray glasses), people that live in glass houses are advised not to throw stones!

So, whomsoever the cap fits….

Tinfoil Hats

Posted by: Corvindi.5734

Corvindi.5734

My brain will have to fend off the mind controlling dev aliens without help, I didn’t have enough tinfoil to make a hat. I got the important bit covered, though. My wallet is all nice and shiny and will stay that way until I’m convinced this game won’t become a Korean cash shop grinder after all.

(In the interest of fairness and global harmony, I could equally well have said Russian cash shop grinder, given Allods reputation, but the Koreans, bless their little hearts, seem to have gotten the idea first.)

“…we don’t expect you to be forced into dungeons at endgame.”

~ArenaNet

Tinfoil Hats

Posted by: DarcShriek.5829

DarcShriek.5829

Since when is 14.7% voting power? Does anyone have a link to a qualified source that states that 14.7 is the largest voting block?

Tinfoil Hats

nic.5720

DarcShriek… as reported earlier this year;

http://massively.joystiq.com/2012/06/08/nexon-invests-6-8m-in-ncsoft-becomes-largest-shareholder/

When 14.7% makes you the majority shareholder (i.e every other shareholder owns less than 14.7% of the shares) then you have a significant voice in the boardroom. You may still require 51% of shareholders to agree to major changes, but it does tend to make you the loudest voice in the room and when shareholders are after increased profits/dividends that counts for an awful lot!

here’s another link;

http://www.businessweek.com/news/2012-06-08/nexon-buys-685-million-stake-in-ncsoft-becomes-biggest-holder

(edited by nic.5720)

Tinfoil Hats

Posted by: Astraea.6075

Astraea.6075

http://massively.joystiq.com/2012/06/08/nexon-invests-6-8m-in-ncsoft-becomes-largest-shareholder/

When 14.7% makes you the majority shareholder (i.e every other shareholder owns less than 14.7% of the shares) then you have a significant voice in the boardroom. You may still require 51% of shareholders to agree to major changes, but it does tend to make you the loudest voice in the room and when shareholders are after increased profits/dividends that counts for an awful lot!

14.7% may make them the largest shareholder, but they are still far short of a majority. They may get a seat or two in the boardroom of NCSoft, but it’s a stretch to imply from there that they get a direct say in operational matters of one of NCSoft’s subsidiaries.

Edit: and here’s the current board structure for NCSoft I’m unable to find a direct link between the board and Nexon without doing further research, but it seems to dispel any theories that Nexon have a direct influence on NCSoft’s activities beyond that of any other shareholder.

(edited by Moderator)

Tinfoil Hats

Posted by: tigirius.9014

tigirius.9014

Completely agree except the one time event thing.

• DR should be gone, no need for it now.
  • MF should be completely fixed, a score added so we can see our current amount, and it explained in detail, what would fix many problems is make MF function properly in Open World again (instead of dungeons only and it no longer function in dungeons) that would solve the problems dungeoneers are having with people being undergeared for content). (adding this even tho OP didn’t mention it)
  • More ways of getting gear like buying them with karma rather then RNG 24/7 365.
  • Return the drop rates of rares and globs of ecto to their previous value, and please, other forum members, do not reply to this and give me some nonsense about it being completely random, there isn’t an algorithm invented yet that is completely random in our current systems of math, so no it doesn’t work properly the drops are ALWAYS skewed one way or another. (I know I read journals on this portion of science all the time)
Balance Team: Please Fix Mine Toolbelt Positioning!

Tinfoil Hats

nic.5720

14.7% may make them the largest shareholder, but they are still far short of a majority. They may get a seat or two in the boardroom of NCSoft, but it’s a stretch to imply from there that they get a direct say in operational matters of one of NCSoft’s subsidiaries.

I couldn’t agree with you more. But shareholders understandably want to see profits. I don’t believe that Nexon would have invested so heavily in NCSoft if they;

1) couldn’t see an opportunity to make a profit.
2) didn’t already have ideas/plans as to how to make those profits.
3) hadn’t already discussed the matter in depth with NCSoft and the board.

So, as a shareholder, if someone comes along with money to invest and concrete plans as to how to grow that investment and make profits, wouldn’t you be influenced?

I hate to admit it, because I loath corporatism with a passion, but I would certainly give them a chance.

Edit;

Just saw your latest edit re. the board of directors at NCSoft. Nice find! And as you say we will both have to look further to see if there is direct evidence of Nexon influence/membership of the board.

However, the Nexon/NCSoft/ANet connection is no conspiracy theory as arrownin seems to suggest in his original post.

Just as an aside though. ANet appointed a “monetisation manager” earlier this year who is an-ex Nexon employee. I won’t mention her name because the mods don’t like it. But it is easily found via google.

Whilst the timing maybe coincidental and entirely unconnected… how long do you think the negotiations for a $685 million deal take to negotiate? I genuinely don’t know. But I would suspect that we can agree it wasn’t an impulse purchase by Nexon?

(edited by nic.5720)

Tinfoil Hats

arrownin.3128

Anyway guys, I think my point wasn’t understood clearly and most of the attention was focused on my opinions of what the issues were in the game, and what you all thought about them. So I removed that section from the post, and left in the important bits. Worrying about something you have no control over won’t get you anywhere. You can speculate about the future but in the end that helps no one and is a waste of time. I’m off to go play the game now so see ya.

Tinfoil Hats

Posted by: Astraea.6075

Astraea.6075

Just as an aside though. ANet appointed a “monetisation manager” earlier this year who is an-ex Nexon employee. I won’t mention her name because the mods don’t like it. But it is easily found via google.

Whilst the timing maybe coincidental and entirely unconnected… how long do you think the negotiations for a $685 million deal take to negotiate? I genuinely don’t know. But I would suspect that we can agree it wasn’t an impulse purchase by Nexon?

I don’t want to derail the OPs purpose with this thread any further, because I agree with his sentiments that worrying about the future is quite often pointless, but it may in fact be a coincidence.

NCSoft’s is a publically traded company and Nexon’s shares were purchased as part of a private transaction, so this wasn’t a case of NCSoft gaining extra capital as part of the deal, and they probably weren’t even involved in the negotions around this share purchase.

Tinfoil Hats

nic.5720

Agreed Astraea… and as the OP has removed the parts of his post that we have been discussing, it is no longer of relevance….

Re. your second point though, could I just refer you to the Businessweek article I linked to in an earlier post. It states that the share purchase was from the NCSoft chaiman himself.

Tinfoil Hats

Posted by: notebene.3190

notebene.3190

Though it would be funny if they created a town clothes outfit with a tin foil hat and a picket sign that had abilities on it to do different protests.

Tinfoil Hats

Posted by: Hermes.7014

Hermes.7014

Whether something is either wrong or right, someone will always complain about it.