Tipping mesmers for Southsun JP

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: cesmode.4257

cesmode.4257

How much did you guys tip, if any at all, for a portal to the sample/chest ?

Karma is as abundant as air, and as useless as the Kardashians.

Posted by: Breytes.6901

Breytes.6901

I was just goofing off in the area when I saw a portal pop and my initial reaction, learned from countless hours in WvW was to press T and see where it goes, had me sitting on the wrecked ships after all those gysers. I found out who was doing the portals and sent them 25s and a very heartfelt thanks for the time they spent that ended up helping me out.

Breytes Rondoure 80 Guardian of the Blood Legion

Posted by: Rising Dusk.2408

Rising Dusk.2408

I don’t tip. I say thank you and that’s it because that’s all I expect from players when I portal them.

[VZ] Valor Zeal – Stormbluff Isle – Looking for steady, casual-friendly NA raiders!

Posted by: Serval.6458

Serval.6458

I had already done the puzzle myself and jumped off prior to being portal’d, so I just broke a jar of harpy pheromones on the mesmer as thanks.

Posted by: Vol.5241

Vol.5241

10s is the usual tip from me.

If you don’t tip that’s fine but if you run off and don’t say anything that’s disrespectful

[Permabanned on Forums]
[Currently Inactive, Playing BF4]
Magic find works. http://sinasdf.imgur.com/

Posted by: Hilda Raven.8641

Hilda Raven.8641

I gave her a gold since im terrible at JPs and this allowed me to FINALLY complete it.

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

I never tip the mesmers that portal me. Bad enough I let them in the guild. lol

Posted by: Karizee.8076

Karizee.8076

I generally tip based on what I get out of a JP chest. For junk and stuff I may just give them a pebble, a tonic or consumable choir bell – depending on the mesmer

The few times I’ve tried to send silvers they generally get returned. Little gifts seem better received.

Posted by: Dagraan.2854

Dagraan.2854

i don’t because im usually the one of the few that actually make it there with or before the mesmer

Posted by: Penguin.5197

Penguin.5197

I gave 20s. It was fair enough I think.

Posted by: cesmode.4257

cesmode.4257

I never tip the mesmers that portal me. Bad enough I let them in the guild. lol

Haha. I love mesmers, but not in pvp. Hell Ive had half a thought to switch to my mesmer as my main.

I tipped 50 silver i think.

Karma is as abundant as air, and as useless as the Kardashians.

Posted by: Rising Dusk.2408

Rising Dusk.2408

With tips like that, who needs to run CoF? You guys aren’t tipping them, you’re paying their bills.

[VZ] Valor Zeal – Stormbluff Isle – Looking for steady, casual-friendly NA raiders!

Posted by: Dash.7108

Dash.7108

I never tip, I say thanks.

Posted by: ricky markham.8173

ricky markham.8173

i tip if they mention it in there message and actually i must be a cheapskate i tipped only 5 silver. i do portals all the time and never ask for tips so i dont expect any. but hey they took the time to get a mesmer there to do the portal and if they want something for there time then they deserve something. just like runs in gw. its a service they could do it for free or tips or charge. its up the person wanting that service how much they will pay or tip

Posted by: MrBeEfito.7249

MrBeEfito.7249

Tipped my lovely meser friend a rare berzerkers ring i got from the chest. Karma seemed fit to repay me as from one of the instigator chests i did just after yeilded me an exotic Chalice Of The Gods.

Posted by: Stooperdale.3560

Stooperdale.3560

The players setting up these portals are nice but I don’t think this sort of travel and tipping is good for the game. I can remember it back in EQ1 where some classes could move others and save a lot of time, like an hour. Players were tipped. It ultimately just caused friction between those tipping and those expecting tips.

If jumping were not seen as lightweight content the designers would already have
(1) relocated players who log out/in within a jumping puzzle
(2) prevented portals in jumping puzzles.
It is probably only a matter of time until these changes happen and yes it will annoy people who want the rewards from a puzzle without putting the effort into doing it.

(edited by Stooperdale.3560)

Posted by: Mystic.5934

Mystic.5934

how do you survive the fall? is it possible to do a normal jump into the water? I considered using a teleport gun to get far enough, but that can’t be the answer. only tried to give portal rides once, and went splat instead. there was land under that water X(

Posted by: darkace.8925

darkace.8925

I tip, but not money. I keep a small stack of alcohol on my characters and send some with my thanks to those who go above and beyond to help others out.

Posted by: Rezzet.3614

Rezzet.3614

sadly tipping gave most noobs the idea of Selling portals they was Charging 50s per person at least on FA.

good thing my buddy showed up and started helping everyone for Free.

Posted by: darkace.8925

darkace.8925

sadly tipping gave most noobs the idea of Selling portals they was Charging 50s per person at least on FA.

I sincerely hope no one paid them. Players who help other players only for rewards are the kinds of players I think this game could do without.

Posted by: Deamhan.9538

Deamhan.9538

Kinda reminds me of the shiverpeak run in GW1.

Posted by: daimasei.4091

daimasei.4091

Nothing, that’s an exploit (a well known exploit Anet refuse to address) so I don’t use it.

Note: I don’t have nothing against people using this kind of exploits, is their problem, not my, so this is not a complaint.

Why fix the Necromancer for free when we can charge $$$ for the Revenant
-ArenaNet

Posted by: MasterGeese.4756

MasterGeese.4756

I just say Hi and walk past.

Because, you know, I did the puzzle myself instead of standing around for a handout.

Posted by: Folk.2093

Folk.2093

I logged onto my thief and just did the JP myself ;p

Posted by: Luthan.5236

Luthan.5236

Just did it myself which did not take that long. I don’t have money to pay Mesmers… I’d rather buy a 6th char slot and make a Mesmer myself trying to make money this way.

Posted by: Im Mudbone.1437

Im Mudbone.1437

I NEVER ask for payment nor tender payment when I(not a Mesmer) assist someone or am being assisted doing something in the game, it’s called common courtesy with a thank you once done is all that is required for any future assistance.

Blackgate Megaserver – [LaZy] Imperium of LaZy Nation
Mud Bone – Sylvari Ranger

Posted by: Giorgos.4962

Giorgos.4962

I am a mesmer and finished the jp myself because I never did it before, then I messed around with the champion reef rider before I get the sample and got killed where noone would ress me x). so I went back and a fellow mesmer ported me up asap, gave him 1 gold after he sed donations are welcome.

Posted by: Akari Storm.6809

Akari Storm.6809

IMO

Portals to jp’s in Guild Wars 2 is like the only service to be provided player to player.
Like Deamhan, it too reminds me of runs in Guild Wars, enchanting in WoW or crafting services in other games.

Wish crafting played a larger role player to player.

Anyhow, I usually tip 20-25s if I use the portal, If I create it I expect nothing…just helping out is enough for me.

Posted by: ironworkshop.1892

ironworkshop.1892

I have a general rule where if a player explicitly states that he wants tips not to give that player one, however if they are doing it to be nice my normal tip is around 25s.

Posted by: Hilda Raven.8641

Hilda Raven.8641

You people need to calm down,t he southsun mesmer that I, and a great many others took didnt ask for any payment. She said tips appreciated but not necessary. Either way its a good deed and I chose to pay, has nothing to do with encouraging bad behavior or a bunch of unrelated nonsense, its a nice person getting monetary thanks. Nothing wrong with an undemanded/unexpected tip.

Posted by: Tony.6028

Tony.6028

I first did skipping stones a couple of weeks ago only with the help of a fellow mesmer. We kept portaling each other up when one of us fell. I think mesmers’ portals play a very critical role in this game, because they allow us to save each other a lot of frustration.

I offer a port almost every time I complete a jumping puzzle, and never expect or solicit a tip. It makes me happy just to help.

Posted by: Meluna.1764

Meluna.1764

I port for the fun of it. I’m usually happy that I made it somehow through, so I help others. I also do it for other JPs when I happen to be there. In this thread it sounds like Mesmers make incredible sums of porting, since I never ask, I never get anything and I don’t mind.
What I find sad however is how many people just run off at once without a word. I do admit I am expecting a thank you. Some people stay a moment and chat, that is fun too, especially on overflows with foreigners =)

Posted by: Randulf.7614

Randulf.7614

1 gold. The memser in question was incredibly nice and offered to do it for free, but I tipped anyway.

It’s virtual money, it was no skin off my nose. They got a nice surprise and I got my sample – win/win

(for the record, I did genuinely try to the jp, but I lacked the skillz. I also only took the sample and not the jp achievement to give me something to aim for later)

Posted by: Mystic.5934

Mystic.5934

I’d like to point out that it is only possible to tip when the person does NOT ask for it. If they ask for it, that would be called something like moral blackmail.
This is the first I’ve ever heard of someone giving tips for shortcuts, and I’ve been giving people portals to places for months. a good idea, but the mesmer should NEVER expect or ask for tips.
When I did this JP to get the sample, another mesmer happened to be near me at the same time. I’d say we helped each other during different parts of it.

Posted by: Tommyknocker.6089

Tommyknocker.6089

I gave 20s. It was fair enough I think.

Same and it seemed to make the Mesmer quite happy to get it.

Note: With the way I jump it was well worth it to me as it takes me far less time to earn that than what I would lose in frustration trying to do the puzzle.

Posted by: PhelanDisturbed.1650

PhelanDisturbed.1650

I don’t expect nor ask for tips, I do expect a simple Thank you, and I also thank those who tip me, regardless of how little or how much. Hell, I’ve tipped a mesmer who petaled me so I could portal others. I did however used to charge as a runner in gw1… But that involved some form of skill.

Point is; I don’t think we, as mesmers should demand, or even request pay of any kind, but I do think it is acceptable to accept tips… We do make some lives easier… But it requires so little of us.

Posted by: Rhaps.8540

Rhaps.8540

I ported dozens of people up yesterday as my guild was grinding the achievs and I parked my mesmer there as a service for them. Obviously tons of random players used the portals too and nearly every one of them said thanks. I was pretty impressed, quite a polite lot on sfr.

Didn’t get a single tip tho! Ah well, c’est la vie.

Edit: Oh I would like to add that I wasn’t asking for tips but if someone did want to charge for the service I wouldn’t think less of them for it. In Gw1 I made a fair bit of coin as a runner. Lornar’s Pass, all the outposts in the crystal desert and even the occasional run back into Ascalon for factions/nightfall toons, you put in the effort to get people to places without any effort on their part so it’s fair to charge if you want.

Seafarer’s Rest – Guild Leader The Deamon Army [TDA]

(edited by Rhaps.8540)

Posted by: Azure Prower.8701

Azure Prower.8701

I logged onto my thief and just did the JP myself ;p

This.

Though I wouldn’t say no to a portal and say thank you. No tip.

I can live with out portals. Apparently some can’t.

Posted by: Zeefa.3915

Zeefa.3915

I am cheap and didn’t give any tips…. but I did ofc. say thanks very much The mesmer seemed perfectly happy about just getting the gratitude of the ones whom he helped.

I have done every puzzle in the game, except that one without mesmer help. I did try it… several times, without ever getting past the first stepping stones. I hate it more than anything else in the game. So yeah, definitely happy that mesmer was so helpful

Life doesn’t stop being funny just because the dead can’t laugh.

Posted by: poziix.7285

poziix.7285

I offered to pay but was refused. Mesmer portals are like the ferry service in GW1.

Posted by: Chorel.1720

Chorel.1720

When I port I don’t expect tips but they are appreciated.

When I use a port I say thanks and move on with my day.

Posted by: Curo.2483

Curo.2483

As a mesmer, I don’t ask for payment or tips, so the tipping is varied. I can tell you though that the most common amount people tip me is 50s (about 50%). About 25% tip 1g, and the rest are usually 20s or less.

On average, I’d say about 1 in 4 players tip.

Curo Lunesque – “Concerned Citizen and Community Builder”
NSP – northernshiverpeaks.org

(edited by Curo.2483)

Posted by: Dante.1508

Dante.1508

15 silver they don’t have to help and anything that circumvents that stupid jump puzzle in southsun is a win to me.

I literally cannot complete it due to my ping time (which is grossly unfair) i’ve had no issues with any other jump puzzles but this one and the Festival ones.. Timed jump puzzles hurt players outside of America…

Posted by: emikochan.8504

emikochan.8504

I tip 20s (i’d give more but I’m not rich :p) – that puzzle is harsh, though I feel pretty guilty about never doing it (i managed about 75% before giving up :P)

Welcome to my world – http://emikochan13.wordpress.com

(edited by emikochan.8504)

Posted by: caiomacos.1694

caiomacos.1694

how do you survive the fall? is it possible to do a normal jump into the water? I considered using a teleport gun to get far enough, but that can’t be the answer. only tried to give portal rides once, and went splat instead. there was land under that water X(

Probably using the trait that reduces fall damage.

Posted by: stpetemermaid.5947

stpetemermaid.5947

I always tip the Mesmer. I don’t care for JP, because I’m not good at them. I will only do them with my Engineer and trusty rifle. The only one I actually like is the pirate one in LA. I do some easy ones now and again. A hard one if I have to. But a portal saves me aggravation and time.

I tip 40s. I’ve had 50s returned as too much, but 40s has not been returned, so I stick with that. It’s totally worth it to me.

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

15 silver they don’t have to help and anything that circumvents that stupid jump puzzle in southsun is a win to me.

I literally cannot complete it due to my ping time (which is grossly unfair) i’ve had no issues with any other jump puzzles but this one and the Festival ones.. Timed jump puzzles hurt players outside of America…

Holy cow…I agree with you. lol Living in Australia has some serious downsides.

Posted by: Astral Projections.7320

Astral Projections.7320

I tried repeatedly to get that puzzle but couldn’t. Combination of poor jumping skills and bad lag. I gave the Mesmer who ported me 9 omnomberry tarts (didn’t have much in inventory right then) and a thank you.

The person who ported us, left what he was doing and changed toons to the Mesmer for us. I thought that deserved more than just a thanks.

Posted by: Deimos Tel Arin.7391

Deimos Tel Arin.7391

i said thanks via /say and then send a thanks tips mail of 11.88 silvers

Posted by: Draygo.9473

Draygo.9473

I tip a small amount. 5s is usually ok.
I don’t ask for tips or expect them but…
When i’m on my Mesmer if people are not tipping i’m just going to go off and do something else. I don’t ask for tips but I also wont just sit there and be someones mule when I can be going off and having fun in the game. Its very boring waiting up there for portals cooldown and porting people.

Delarme
Apathy Inc [Ai]