Tipping mesmers for Southsun JP

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: LHound.8964

LHound.8964

I never tip the mesmers that portal me. Bad enough I let them in the guild. lol

Haha. I love mesmers, but not in pvp. Hell Ive had half a thought to switch to my mesmer as my main.

I tipped 50 silver i think.

I believe this was me. Although i didn’t want any silver for doing it (i even sent back to you and you re-sent the silver) thanks for tipping. A simple thanks would be enough.

/cheers

—————— ~~ ~~ —-————-
Charr’s need more Love. All is Vain
—————— ~~ ~~ —-————-

Posted by: Meluna.1764

Meluna.1764

15 silver they don’t have to help and anything that circumvents that stupid jump puzzle in southsun is a win to me.

I literally cannot complete it due to my ping time (which is grossly unfair) i’ve had no issues with any other jump puzzles but this one and the Festival ones.. Timed jump puzzles hurt players outside of America…

I often encounter people like you. When I give them ports, they are so happy. These are the moments I do portal ‘duty’ for. More worth to me helping people out than tips =) And I’m glad to see that the majority of Mesmers seem to think the same.
I think there should be more service abilities like this to strengthen community even more.

Posted by: rfdarko.4639

rfdarko.4639

I’ve TP’d maybe 20-30 people, and received 3 tips. I’d never portaled someone through a JP before, so I was quite surprised when I got my first mail. One guy tipped me 2 gold, but I sent it back to him because I thought that was excessive. The other two were 10s and 20s. Honestly I don’t think it’s necessary to tip, unless you really want to show thanks, or if someone took the time to switch to an alt to port you.

guildless hobo who likes to solo – [x]

Posted by: Yargesh.4965

Yargesh.4965

There was someone this morning asking for 1g in map chat to portal. I put them on my blocked list.

Posted by: marnick.4305

marnick.4305

Feels like cheating, even though it’s perfectly legit. I wouldn’t use the portal.

If I can’t play Guild Wars 2 at work, I won’t work in Guild Wars 2 either.
Delayed content is eventually good. Rushed content is eternally bad. ~ Shigeru Miyamoto

Posted by: Rhaps.8540

Rhaps.8540

how do you survive the fall? is it possible to do a normal jump into the water? I considered using a teleport gun to get far enough, but that can’t be the answer. only tried to give portal rides once, and went splat instead. there was land under that water X(

Probably using the trait that reduces fall damage.

Nope! If you are at the boat/bridge thing just walk off it to the west. There are a couple of ledges you can hop down onto. Then the final jump is onto the back of the shipwreck. You will only take a tiny bit of fall dmg.

Seafarer’s Rest – Guild Leader The Deamon Army [TDA]

Posted by: Meluna.1764

Meluna.1764

how do you survive the fall? is it possible to do a normal jump into the water? I considered using a teleport gun to get far enough, but that can’t be the answer. only tried to give portal rides once, and went splat instead. there was land under that water X(

Probably using the trait that reduces fall damage.

Nope! If you are at the boat/bridge thing just walk off it to the west. There are a couple of ledges you can hop down onto. Then the final jump is onto the back of the shipwreck. You will only take a tiny bit of fall dmg.

Rhaps is correct. At the northern point of the island, where the sample is, you have some ledges you can land on. In the south of the island, just drop down. You faceplant and loose about half your health, but you’ll live. Happy porting ^_^

Posted by: DrixTrix.7168

DrixTrix.7168

i like to put a portal round one side of the island, run to the other and lay it down, quite funny.

however i will help and anounce i will be there for 10 mins if anyone wants a lift, last night i had a fun time with giving lifts up.

- i never expect a tip.

Posted by: Piogre.2164

Piogre.2164

I rarely use the portals because I’m generally good with JP’s if I do it’s because I’m in a rush and have some reason for needing the puzzle finished other than the contents of the chest- so I usually just mail them the contents of the chest

[VIG], SoR
Main: Asuran Engineer — Alt 80’s Ra-T-M-G-El-N-W-En-En-Re-Ra
Doctorate in Applied Jumping

Posted by: crimsonbro.3126

crimsonbro.3126

Since I don’t like that puzzle, I tipped 80s. Too much? Maybe. but considering how tricky that can be when you’re tired, it was worth it for me. And I’m sure it would cover the people that didn’t tip.

Posted by: Escthiil.3210

Escthiil.3210

I will just like to throw out thanks to people who actually tip Mesmers though most, I think, like myself, don’t expect any.

It really perks me up when I do get them, though. But really, the satisfaction of being able to help is more than enough cause of how a pain in the kitten the Southsun JP can be for some people.

Posted by: Mathias.9657

Mathias.9657

The JP is easy enough, if I see a portal up I’ll take it but don’t tip since I’ll do it myself if there isn’t one.

I did it for my first time a couple days ago and only screwed up a couple times but never fell off. It’s like 5 min long if that. You can avoid the steam if you stand on the very edge of those rocks.

Back to WoW, make GW2 fun please.

Posted by: Aly.3429

Aly.3429

Concidering the fact that I am terrible at JP’s, and I do mean terrible… I tipped 25s for the service.

Posted by: dcypher.2590

dcypher.2590

if they ask for a tip i’ll usually give 15copper

Posted by: InfernoCrossing.8063

InfernoCrossing.8063

I tipped one 1s 43c since he was there for a LONG time.

[Stormbluff Isle since September ’12] |VZ|
Ragnarune | Lily Vinheim | Voirdere
Viezza

Posted by: Aerinndis.2730

Aerinndis.2730

I thanked and tipped the mesmer who portaled me. No one was asking for any tips or payment for doing it, so I felt it was an appropriate reward for someone taking the time out of their game playing to help out others. Asking or demanding payment for portaling I don’t feel is appropriate.

Posted by: Leo Paul.1659

Leo Paul.1659

My minimum tip for a portal is 1g because I never do JP’s unless I’m getting a reward that I really want.

Queen Of The Moors (Blackgate)
Deaths Fear [Fear] / The Hardcore Caravan [HC]
Forum Warrior: Black Belt in Ninja Edits

Posted by: GuzziHero.2467

GuzziHero.2467

I tip 10s if they don’t ask for a tip, or say “Donations welcome”. If they simply say “Porting for tips” then that sounds like a payment in which case I will not.

Had one ‘person’ try to verbalise me on this point the other day.

Posted by: Morrigan.2809

Morrigan.2809

How sad is this: My main is a mesmer who can’t jump.
At jumping puzzles I put on my staff and pretend I’m an ele so people won’t ask me for a port :P

So I am very thankfull if a kind soul ports me- I tip 50s, more if I have any on me and say thanks

Gunnar’s Hold

Posted by: phabby.8945

phabby.8945

Well when I was in Southsun ,on Bg, there was 2 guild guys doing the portal for free and they were there for over 1hr porting ppl up and not asking a thing for their time and service.

I had try numerous times to do this jp and failed miserably like normal so I was so thankful to these guys, I gave 1g for their time. I thought this was very reasonable as I would have never gotten that jp finished let alone the sample and they wern’t asking anything just happy to help everyone out. So a big thankyou to them again(wish I could remeber their guild tag)

cheers phabby

Posted by: sostronk.8167

sostronk.8167

I ask them to tip me because I made them feel good about themselves.

Posted by: station.6421

station.6421

I gave 50s because I tried for the longest time to do skipping stones, and was just so happy that someone was there to do it for me. For any other port I usually say thanks, and give a siege plan if EB JP.

Posted by: SirDrygan.1823

SirDrygan.1823

when I play my mesmer and doing the port, I asked for nothing. Some just throw me a tip here and there, but unlike some, I don’t ask for it. Only a hugz. I just want to help people that’s all.

Posted by: lithiumwing.5493

lithiumwing.5493

I usually tip em 2g just because they take their time out of what they could be doing and I doubt many get enough tips. I love jps, but not too fond of Southsun Cove :/

Posted by: Curo.2483

Curo.2483

I hear people bragging about how much money they are making by actually asking for payment or tips. Come on guys, who is actually paying these jerks? I’d never refuse someone a portal because they couldn’t pay. Nor would I pressure someone into paying. Now would I even solicit payment! And here we have the people that are taking advantage of those who can’t jump, and you are actually paying them? Now their bad manners are going to get them financially ahead in the game. And yes, every single person I have ever encountered who charged for a portal has had bad manners.

Please: don’t feed the animals.

Curo Lunesque – “Concerned Citizen and Community Builder”
NSP – northernshiverpeaks.org

Posted by: Caedmon.6798

Caedmon.6798

There was one mesmer who was waiting for people to get their last sample,so she portaled them up.She sticked around well over 2hours just helping people not asking anything in return..So i gave her 50s.

Posted by: judgement.9842

judgement.9842

Just tipped 25s and finally got my tentacle. Back pack thing.

Posted by: alegs.5231

alegs.5231

I am happy to port people in JP, I just do it on my down time or while doing other stuff. I dont ask for any payments or tips, a simple thank you is enough but the biggest tip i got was 2g. The player said it was the last JP needed to complete the achievements.

Posted by: aspirine.6852

aspirine.6852

If I did have a lvl 80 mesmer I’d do the portal once in a while. I would not expect anything but a thanks.

Posted by: Scoundrel.2139

Scoundrel.2139

I don’t tip everytime. I save it for bigger ones, like a surprise chest. I didn’t tip for 3 days. Then today I gave someone 20silver.

Veni, Vidi, Victa.
Quidquid Latine Dictum Sit, Altum Videtur

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

I tried tipping a mesmer, but he just got right back up afterwards.

Posted by: Serophous.9085

Serophous.9085

For the cove jp, 10s, a thanks, and a hug. I did it once on my own, and that was enough.

Now, if you excuse me, i need to roll my own mesmer, get the portal, and wait for the next live story requiring a jp to earn my cash.

Posted by: CETheLucid.3964

CETheLucid.3964

Greedy mesmers couldn’t enforce a payment system even if they wanted to do this.

It’s too simple a thing to simply step inside the portal and use it. People that ask for a tip I don’t tip them. People that do it for free, I tip.

Generally, these same people send my tip back.

Moreover since I roll with friends and guildies more often then not, she does the portal for some of our less jumping inclined and anyone else that happens to be there.

Gotta laugh at the people trying to capitalize on the kindness of strangers. That won’t end well for you.

Posted by: generalraccoon.3857

generalraccoon.3857

Hmm I haven’t really taken someone elses portal to get up there so I have yet to tip anyone. But I did port people up myself, and the last one gave me 60s.

Honestly though, I wouldn’t charge for ports. I accept coins as appreciation, but I’d port ppl for free regardless. Just something I enjoy doing. I feel useful :P