Tips for Amalgamated Gemstones?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: xikira.3264

xikira.3264

Hello I know you get the gemstone from the daily hero chest and I know that the magic warped pouches sometimes give them. I am aware of that one track in wvw that gives one as well. Are there any other ways to acquire them besides gold farming and purchasing them off the tp?

“My potions are too strong for you, traveler.”
Potion Sella

Posted by: TheGrimm.5624

TheGrimm.5624

Have you checked how many you can craft?

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Amalgamated_Gemstone/Recipes

Also meta events from maps will award them at times.

GW/PoTBS/WAR/Rift/WAR/GW2/CU

De Mortuis Nil Nisi Bonum.

Posted by: xikira.3264

xikira.3264

Thank you! I didnt realize I could craft them :P

“My potions are too strong for you, traveler.”
Potion Sella

Posted by: Faaris.8013

Faaris.8013

Unfortunately, crafting them costs about as much as buying. The wiki says that you can get 10 to 25 gemstones when you use 75 orbs of something (or diamonds etc.)+ 5 globs of ectoplasm. I did it two times a few days ago and got exactly 10 gemstones each time. I calculated a few combinations and unfortunately, and as the market always works out, you cannot get gemstones cheap. People already figured out that crafting is an option and the prices for the ingredients adjusted themselves. If you buy the ingredients and craft 10 gemstones, you might save 1 gold each 23 invested, that’s it.

I know that crafting 2 times and getting 10 gemstones each time is not enough to state that it’s always 10 and never 25. However, if the wiki was right, we would get average 17/18 gemstones each time. Looking at the market, that cannot be true. If it worked like that, people would buy orbs, craft gemstones, sell them and make a profit. Until the prices for orbs rise- The prices for orbs and co. tell me for sure that you always only get 10 gemstones.

I think adding more and more legendary weapons to the game without adjusting the aquisition methods for mystic coins and those gemstones was a bad move. I understand that they time gate the process, but at the end of the day, there will just be more demand than supply, and it just makes stuff more expensive. In the global economy, not all people can buy them, there need to be some who get more than they need. The main solution I see people using is getting additional accounts and use them to farm. We can watch the same happening at Cypress Hill in Malchor’s Leap. Elder wood prices went up when the new legendaries were introduced, so people just place their alts at the Melandru statue, including myself. If you have 20+ alts, you can rotate and when you get to the first character, the trees have regrown.

If that’s how ArenaNet envisioned their players to spend time ingame, that’s all fine. We adjust to the environment that is given to us. In another thread here people discuss what’s more efficient, spending money on character slots or on discounted accounts. Turns out just buying a new account is more efficient in the long run. You can either buy 2 character slots for your account or a full new account with 5 character slots and daily rewards. I don’t like that direction, it will eventually force everybody to do it to be able to buy things.

Herleve – Ruins of Surmia

Posted by: Phoebe Ascension.8437

Phoebe Ascension.8437

If you play wvw, you can do the ‘gift of battle’ reward track, wich gives one at 50%. Also the HoT maps, if you do Meta on those maps, you get every day, (1x, not on second attempt on same map) a chest with a choice. The stone is one of those options (best choice).

Legendary weapons can be hidden now!
No excuse anymore for not giving ‘hide mounts’-option
No thanks to unidentified weapons.

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

Unfortunately, crafting them costs about as much as buying.

Why is that unfortunate? That means you can choose to forge your own or you can pay a few percent extra for others to forge for you.

FYI worst case scenario is that you use the 10-AmGem recipe 25 times to get your stack, but likely you’ll need fewer. It’s not very much work to get 250.

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”

Posted by: Khisanth.2948

Khisanth.2948

Unfortunately, crafting them costs about as much as buying. The wiki says that you can get 10 to 25 gemstones when you use 75 orbs of something (or diamonds etc.)+ 5 globs of ectoplasm. I did it two times a few days ago and got exactly 10 gemstones each time. I calculated a few combinations and unfortunately, and as the market always works out, you cannot get gemstones cheap. People already figured out that crafting is an option and the prices for the ingredients adjusted themselves. If you buy the ingredients and craft 10 gemstones, you might save 1 gold each 23 invested, that’s it.

The 10 recipe generates 10 or 25 not to. Same goes for the 1 recipe, it generates 1 or 5

Posted by: nekretaal.6485

nekretaal.6485

I’ve been throwing T5 orbs into the forge for a random chance at a T6 orb or a gemstone.

#24 leaderboard rank North America.

Posted by: Faaris.8013

Faaris.8013

The 10 recipe generates 10 or 25 not to. Same goes for the 1 recipe, it generates 1 or 5

I have misinterpreted the “10 – 25” the wiki shows. So has anyone ever got 25? I wonder how rarely this occurs then. I’m sure I would reach the number of gemstones I need before I ever see those 25. Not going to craft 100 times to see if it happens once, don’t even have the gold for that.

@Illconceived: Unfortunate because I cannot save gold/time by crafting them. It would be fortunate for me if I could trade time and effort for gold. With some orbs you can save a few percent, but it depends on the price that day. Next day, you could lose money. It takes some time to watch the market for that many recipes, it’s more efficient to just buy the gemstones, unless you automate the market research and get the best deal at any time.

Right now I could buy 75 Coral Orbs for 22g 77s and 5 globs of ectoplasm for 1g 75s and craft 10 gemstones. Total 24g 52s. 10 gemstones cost 25g 35s. But the orbs could easily cost 1 or 2 silver more in an hour, then it would be smarter to just buy the gemstones, if their price stayed the same.

If I could trust that crafting saves you money all the time, I might do it, but if I have to do calculations all the time, it’s just not worth it. Not to mention the time spent going to bank for ectoplasm, then to the mystic forge, splitting the 75 orbs into three stacks, and actually crafting the gemstones.

Time is money, I rather kill a champ or do a fractal for gold instead of spending time doing market research. Or simply chop some elder wood at the Melandru statue and sell it. This is much less effort and time spent than keeping an eye on the market and crafting gemstones.

Herleve – Ruins of Surmia

(edited by Faaris.8013)

Posted by: Dawdler.8521

Dawdler.8521

Last I did the 10 amalgated recipe for my Hope… I kept doing it and earned hundreds of extra gold, lol. Just bought massive amounts of the cheapest ingredient (ie not lillies lol). The thing is, those bonus gemstones actually happened quite frequently. Worst case scenario, you went +- 0.

Prices may have changed now I suppose.

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

I have misinterpreted the “10 – 25” the wiki shows. So has anyone ever got 25?

Yes, pretty much every time I’ve made a stack, it takes less than 25 rolls at the 10-AmGem recipe.

@Illconceived: Unfortunate because I cannot save gold/time by crafting them. It would be fortunate for me if I could trade time and effort for gold. With some orbs you can save a few percent, but it depends on the price that day. Next day, you could lose money. It takes some time to watch the market for that many recipes, it’s more efficient to just buy the gemstones, unless you automate the market research and get the best deal at any time.

That’s fortunate — it’s telling you that you can choose to do whatever you like and simply buy the AmGems directly, if your goal is exchanging time for gold. You can trade time for gold by playing the game and doing …anything.

The only reason to forge your own AmGems is if you are the sort of person who enjoys making everything from scratch. Otherwise, this game is ideally suited to not worrying about it — crafting is so quick & efficient in this game, that market prices adjust over hours, if not faster.

tl;dr Don’t watch the market, just put in an AmGem buy order at the price you’re willing to spend, with the gold you have available to spend. As you gain more gold, you can order more. Prices will go up and down and eventually, you’ll get your AmGems.

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”

Posted by: Danikat.8537

Danikat.8537

If you do the Dragon’s Stand meta-event you get a chest at the end which gives an Amalgamated Gemstone, and if you salvage/sell all the drops you’ll get a fair bit of gold to put towards others as well.

Danielle Aurorel, Dear Dragon We Got Your Cookies [Nom], Desolation (EU).

“Life’s a journey, not a destination.”

Posted by: Khisanth.2948

Khisanth.2948

I have misinterpreted the “10 – 25” the wiki shows. So has anyone ever got 25? I wonder how rarely this occurs then. I’m sure I would reach the number of gemstones I need before I ever see those 25. Not going to craft 100 times to see if it happens once, don’t even have the gold for that.

Twice in my recent forging. That is from somewhere between 5 and 10 tries.

If you ignore the rare outcomes the 10 recipe is also cheaper than the 1 recipe.
9 orbs + .55 ecto for the 1 recipe when ignoring the rare outcome
8.33 orbs + .5 ecto for the 10 recipe when ignoring the rare outcome

Posted by: Wanze.8410

Wanze.8410

the rare outcome of getting 25 AG instead of 10 has a 10% chance, so you get an average of 11.5 AG per recipe

Tin Foil [HATS]-Hardcore BLTC-PvP Guild
Bloin – Running around, tagging Keeps, getting whack on Scoobie Snacks.

Posted by: Wanze.8410

Wanze.8410

Twice in my recent forging. That is from somewhere between 5 and 10 tries.

If you ignore the rare outcomes the 10 recipe is also cheaper than the 1 recipe.
9 orbs + .55 ecto for the 1 recipe when ignoring the rare outcome
8.33 orbs + .5 ecto for the 10 recipe when ignoring the rare outcome

If you dont ignore the rare outcome (10%) and you make 10 forges each,

the dust recipe yields 14 AG for 90 upgrade components (6.43 per AG)

the ecto recipe yields 115 AG for 750 upgrade components (6.52 per AG)

so the dust recipe actually yields more AG per UG and costs less dust/ectos

Tin Foil [HATS]-Hardcore BLTC-PvP Guild
Bloin – Running around, tagging Keeps, getting whack on Scoobie Snacks.