Tired and slightly ashamed

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: DrMatt.9408

DrMatt.9408

So I’ve spent the past day raging on reddit and in game about the expansion price and ascended 5-10%, said anet is a joke and worse etc etc. However now I’m just tired of the whole thing and ashamed of the behaviour of myself and others. Truth is I love the game and want it to be success. I also respect the devs as people who love what they are doing and try their best. People should stop for a second and consider the effect their behaviour is having not only on morale at anet right now but on the future of the game itself. If people want to kill the game they are going about it the right way. Anet have made and continue to make mistakes sure, and I expect them to make amends in some way as they always do. But I think we all need to take a step back, take a deep breath, and start behaving like reasonable people. That goes both ways, radio silence from anet is no more acceptable than rage and insults from the community. I hope we can sort out this mess soon before permanent damage is done.

Posted by: Kaleban.9834

Kaleban.9834

So I’ve spent the past day raging on reddit and in game about the expansion price and ascended 5-10%, said anet is a joke and worse etc etc. However now I’m just tired of the whole thing and ashamed of the behaviour of myself and others. Truth is I love the game and want it to be success. I also respect the devs as people who love what they are doing and try their best. People should stop for a second and consider the effect their behaviour is having not only on morale at anet right now but on the future of the game itself. If people want to kill the game they are going about it the right way. Anet have made and continue to make mistakes sure, and I expect them to make amends in some way as they always do. But I think we all need to take a step back, take a deep breath, and start behaving like reasonable people. That goes both ways, radio silence from anet is no more acceptable than rage and insults from the community. I hope we can sort out this mess soon before permanent damage is done.

The people that kill games are the developers who don’t listen to the community, engage in questionable business practices, and even bait and switch tactics.

Yesterday, the “Standard” version info included a blurb about how it included the base game for free. Because of ANet’s position that LW Season 3 is somehow worth $50, they’ve since removed that bit of clarification. I can only assume its to sidetrack the discussion of ANet screwing over veteran players in favor of new players, but I’m sure they’ll clarify it three years from now.

Posted by: KredasGeekosaure.6139

KredasGeekosaure.6139

But if we stay quiet, nothing will happen.

It’s the same as all the people who are protesting/rioting to assert their rights (poor salary, etc.).

As customers I believe we are entitled to show our discontent. Some just do it with more velocity than others.

As for me, I don’t mind paying 50 bucks IF HoT provides AS MUCH content as Factions, Nightfall or even EotN. Then I’d know it’d be worth my money.
But as of now, I’ll never buy it.

Posted by: Damian.6978

Damian.6978

I get HoT for €45 since I’m an existing player, and what I’ve seen so far is not worth that. For a new player it’s a steal.

(edited by Damian.6978)

Posted by: warbignime.4610

warbignime.4610

Here is answer to all argument. Want it, have money for it, Buy it. Want it, no money for it, save up money.Don’t want it, don’t buy it. It is that simple. All the arguments and rioting are getting ridiculous.

Some must fight so that all may be free.

Posted by: DarkOcean.8746

DarkOcean.8746

Well, in my opinion, there are good ways to go about things and bad ways to go about things. I think you can express your discontent here in a positive and friendly way; that will also help the developers take you more seriously rather than just raging at them. Anyways, good for you for realizing that!

Hopefully the rage will subside and turn into more constructive criticism. I’m also worried about morale at this point. It makes me sad to think of how happy Colin was giving the presentation and what he may possibly be like now with so much rude negative feedback. The developer team just seems so nice.

Posted by: Damian.6978

Damian.6978

I think anyone’s that angry right now is angry at marketing/pr/finance department, not the devs. The devs aren’t responsible for this ridiculous decision.

Posted by: darkdomino.9578

darkdomino.9578

The marketing department for Anet should be fired. No reprimand, no unpaid leave… Clean out your desk by the end of business hours.

The fact that anyone was allowed to market their game this way, with this pricing structure, is either malicious or incompetent… either way they have no business working for you.

Fury of the Departed [Fury] – http://www.furyofthedeparted.net

Posted by: xarallei.4279

xarallei.4279

I’m shocked that so many actually thought it wouldn’t be $50. I was expecting that price, so it didn’t surprise me at all. The only thing that did surprise me was the standard edition not having a character slot.

Now the ascended thing…..that is another story. That’s one change that kittenes me off. At least nerf the mats needed for damask please. Cloth ascended has always been way out of line. And no, please don’t do the opposite and make the other ones obscene like damask. -_-

Posted by: TrcyMcgrdy.2317

TrcyMcgrdy.2317

I agree, the better way would be to just not prepurchase and let the numbers show ANET how the playerbase actually feels. However, it irks me that people who claim the “I’m a three year vet and am excited for HOT, why aren’t you all?!?!?” come here to instigate more anger and rage. It would be best if both parties just didn’t come to fight, but these “vets” should already know the forums are a place to complain and rage anyway.

Posted by: TrcyMcgrdy.2317

TrcyMcgrdy.2317

I’m shocked that so many actually thought it wouldn’t be $50. I was expecting that price, so it didn’t surprise me at all. The only thing that did surprise me was the standard edition not having a character slot.

Now the ascended thing…..that is another story. That’s one change that kittenes me off. At least nerf the mats needed for damask please. Cloth ascended has always been way out of line. And no, please don’t do the opposite and make the other ones obscene like damask. -_-

I don’t think people should be mad. It isn’t like they are adding a new tier of gear. They have given people years to craft these items, and other than time, they really take no skill whatsoever to craft. It would be one thing if they added and entire new gear tier to craft with new mats, but they didn’t. They are just making a change to what is already in game…

Posted by: Huggywuggles.2814

Huggywuggles.2814

I think that long time players have EVERY right to be critical of the pricing structure, Ascended gear getting a boost, etc. But I’ve always maintained that it’s all about HOW you deliver the message, not the message itself.

That being said, I applaud you for putting aside the rage and taking a deep breath and apologizing, not for the message, but in the manner in which you delivered it.

I am a Juicebox Hero. I poke straws in Risen Eyes.

Posted by: Huggywuggles.2814

Huggywuggles.2814

The marketing department for Anet should be fired. No reprimand, no unpaid leave… Clean out your desk by the end of business hours.

The fact that anyone was allowed to market their game this way, with this pricing structure, is either malicious or incompetent… either way they have no business working for you.

Let me ask you this:

Do you think the car salesman who doesn’t give you full value for your used car when you want a newer, improved model three years later should likewise be fired?

Frankly, that’s what this ‘veteran player’ thing is coming across as. I get that people PERCEIVE that they’re being taken for a ride, but in actuality you’re not. Loyalty programs are few and far between in retail/gaming and with the daily log-in gifts rewarding you for…logging in each and every day and being a veteran, you now have more mats, the ability to power level a new revenant, etc. that newer players don’t.

I am a Juicebox Hero. I poke straws in Risen Eyes.

Posted by: WhiteCrow.5310

WhiteCrow.5310

This is the only video you need to see: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Am9gVQB8gss

Concerns about HoT pre-order? Check here!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Am9gVQB8gss

Posted by: Daddar.5971

Daddar.5971

This is the only video you need to see: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Am9gVQB8gss

OMG. I nearly died laughing. That’s the best HoT FAQ there could possibly ever be. I’m still gasping for breath and trying not to pee myself from laughing so hard.

Thanks so much for the comic relief!

‘Elite’ in all 9 professions. I take mediocrity seriously!

Posted by: CrimsonDX.4821

CrimsonDX.4821

Because of ANet’s position that LW Season 3 is somehow worth $50

HoT isn’t “LW Season 3”

The Living World are free updates, this is an expansion which entails a full personal story and the amount of content an expansion would entail. I highly doubt they have revealed everything HoT will contain.

Posted by: Channel.9402

Channel.9402

Lol yea this will give u the therapy u needed haha

Kaleban.9834

Encapsulates my feelings exactly.

And I peed a little.

Posted by: Puck.9612

Puck.9612

But if we stay quiet, nothing will happen.

This. Anet does a kitten poor job of having an actual dialogue with their player base when they make their monthly bad decision. They’ve shown us that the only way to get results is by rioting.

They can either listen to their player base, discuss issues as they emerge, or deal with the bad publicity and try to clean it up afterwards. For some reason they like to go with the third choice which ends up costing them old players who eventually get tired of the crap and new players who read the angry reviews and decide to buy something else.

Jim Hunter when my other account isn’t suspended

Kaleban.9834

Because of ANet’s position that LW Season 3 is somehow worth $50

HoT isn’t “LW Season 3”

The Living World are free updates, this is an expansion which entails a full personal story and the amount of content an expansion would entail. I highly doubt they have revealed everything HoT will contain.

Oh ok, so HoT will include eight new dungeons, multiple new world boss raids, a map area approximately 1/2 to 2/3 the size of what GW2 has now, a new race, a new profession, hundreds of new skills, new (not rehashed) PvP modes that includes full scale GvG, two character slots and more?

Oh, sorry, I’m thinking of GW1 and/or WoW. Carry on as if your point had been made.

Posted by: Blackworm.2167

Blackworm.2167

Common pattern: Legit complaints, then apologetics. It’s about the time for these silly apologetic threads to start popping up. Right on schedule, so I’m not surprised. Some people just don’t have a whole lot of fight in them and give in to the current-day industry quota. The actual issue still stands, however, so this was rather pointless.

GW1 – Dervish / Warrior –
GW2 – Borlis Pass – Revenant & Warrior –
Steam Profile

Posted by: Dsybok.1405

Dsybok.1405

Seems like they decided to screw the loyal players, and reward people who waited two plus years to get into the game. Should be the other way around, don’t you think?

Ferguson’s Crossing
Ascenion of Elements
Sylvari Ele main

Posted by: Blackworm.2167

Blackworm.2167

Seems like they decided to screw the loyal players, and reward people who waited two plus years to get into the game. Should be the other way around, don’t you think?

I agree. I’ll admit, I joined in much later than I should have. My friends were all playing this game at launch, but I was… stubborn, for lack of a better word. I didn’t feel it would live up to its predecessor, which I didn’t want to stop playing (and I was right, to a degree. I still play GW1 as well), so decided I wouldn’t spend the money. A good while later, I bought the game, along with another friend who hadn’t played a GW game before.
We both bought the game, and started playing at around the end of Season 1 (I made a mistake in another thread stating I missed out on Season 1 due to hiatus. I don’t remember ever seeing living world season 1 activities throughout my time playing).

So basically, I bought the game (like everyone should have to), experienced none of the content the “experience” argument wants to say I did. (So in other words, someone could start the game right now and do everything I did.) And now I have to pay the same price for less content than the core game, for a grand total of $100, whereas someone new could pay $50 to get that $100 worth.
…Why? I already paid $50. Either give me HoT for free, or give me the money I spent on my now-valueless core game in some form and it will be fair. That 4000 gems bundle seems reasonable enough.

GW1 – Dervish / Warrior –
GW2 – Borlis Pass – Revenant & Warrior –
Steam Profile

(edited by Blackworm.2167)

Posted by: chemiclord.3978

chemiclord.3978

I guess?

I dunno. That’s the way games are now. The profit margins can be so paper thin you HAVE to constantly try to entice new players. You HAVE to. Your “veteran” players are a constantly degrading group (players will always leave for whatever reason), and the only way to stay afloat is to get new players in.

For all the people griping about $50 expansions… bear in mind that if games had followed the rate of inflation over the last 25 years, you SHOULD be paying close to $90.