Titles~ where did the really cool ones went..

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: pooolj.3512

pooolj.3512

Today talking with some guildies we ended up talking about how cool the titles in GW1 were and now i’m wondering… why we don’t have titles as good as the ones in GW1… i think we need more titles like the ones from GW1… hard to get but so good that you want to show them off.

Posted by: Farzo.8410

Farzo.8410

Coming Soon™ to the Black Lion Trading Company.

Posted by: Nat.4029

Nat.4029

Titles were much better in GW1. In name and in acquisition. Titles were a sort of end-game for GW1. It took me many months to get the “Legendary Vanquisher” title. (Joko’s Domain SUCKED). Even though it was a total pain in the kitten at times, it was still a fun title to work toward. And it was also cool be able to see your name and title when playing the game. Something that’s missing from GW2.

I always liked the “Not Too Shabby” title as well, and “Legendary Survivor” was always stressful.

Valar Morghulis

pooolj.3512

I agree~ they were fun to work toward them like the kurzik and luxon titles~ they were hard to get to max but it was so worth it since you not only got a title but contributed to the faction you were in.

Posted by: Pip.2094

Pip.2094

I wish we had some cool title indeed…something that actually shows we worked towards it but worked for real…not like Dungeon Master…: grind whatever you want, hot choices Queensdale and Frostgorge champs+buy the paths you are missing because too hard=get your title.
This made the title totally worthless, I, who struggled through every dungeon path, as new player with new players, having 3,5 hours long Arah p2 first run and such, don’t find it appealing anymore to show a title I struggled to conquer, because everyone has that same title now, and for doing barely anything. And people who see me, unless they know me, will think I probably bought that title like most of the others. And this pretty much sucks.

\||||||/
O°v°O

Posted by: Lucey.1452

Lucey.1452

Pip, you are right that the title I worked so kitten and thought was kitten (Dungeon Master) has lost almost all value because people can get it so easily now (enough gold and you never even have to kill an enemy in a dungeon). It always pains me to see a DM guardian who camps Bifrost.

That being said, there are still some prestigious titles, such as all the champion titles for tPvP, the Emporer (I know you have to buy to get it, but it’s pretty rare). All the WvW ones would be cool if they were more reasonably obtainable as well.

SoS
Professional Bag Farmer and Under Bridge Resider

Posted by: SingleDoubt.6047

SingleDoubt.6047

Those Anchorman titles ftw!

Posted by: Nage.1520

Nage.1520

Yep, Survivor in Guild Wars 1 was a tough title to get. It took an entire weekend in a solo dungeon. And no one ever got run through dungeons in Guild Wars 1.

I think vanquisher was the only title worth something in that game. The rest of them could be run pretty easily or where massively grindy, or were unnecessarily punishing.

The mapping title comes to mind. Scraping every corner of every map to unfog a single tiny piece….that was just horrible.

pooolj.3512

Gladiator titles were pretty awesome too since they were really hard to get and the title emotes from HA were really nice too, in all the years i played GW1 i never got God walking among mere mortals too -sad-

Posted by: Mazreal Blackknight.1564

Mazreal Blackknight.1564

Legendary cartographer drove me batty! But I did it :p

Posted by: One Note Chord.5031

One Note Chord.5031

Yeah, I agree with Nage, I think nostalgia is tinting the view for some people of these titles in GW. Even vanq was just a grind, really, especially after they added 7 hero parties.

The only ones that really remained impressive were the ones that took years and years to complete. I don’t know how many people got r15, but I’m pretty sure it wasn’t more than a handful. Title tracks like that, pvp or pve, where you unlock different titles the farther you go, might be interesting to bring back.

But everything else will, over time, become more and more common. Even without selling paths, dungeon master would be more common now just because people have had a year and a half to get it. And, to repeat what Nage said, it’s not like these things weren’t being sold in gw. You could buy missions, elite missions, hero-based gate of madness survivor titles, complete books, vanqs, you name it. You could be run past content in prophecies practically from day 1. The only things you couldn’t buy were the things you had to do yourself—cartographer, commander, etc.

Colin Johanson: "Everyone, including casual gamers, by level 80 should have the
best statistical loot in the game. We want everyone on an equal power base.”
Pre-launch, Colin listed things that make MMOs bad. They are all now in GW2.

Posted by: Zabrios.6079

Zabrios.6079

Those were more of an achievement that what we have here in GW2 that is more of a shop list instead of a true achievement that is tied to a title.

Posted by: Junkpile.7439

Junkpile.7439

All ultimate titles are kind of hard to get.

Low quality trolling since launch
Seafarer’s Rest EotM grinch

Posted by: yorick.1305

yorick.1305

Legendary Defender Of Ascalon. I think some people are still trying to get that one done. I got 31 or 32 completed, but never got close to this classic (grinder).

Posted by: OldSomalia.6180

OldSomalia.6180

You could still buy basically every title though..

Vanquisher? Buy that.
Missions? Buy that.
Elite skills? Buy that.
Master of the north? Buy that.
Cartog? Buy that.

Literally everything, you just needed a reputable service runner.

The only difference is that the actual “titles” in GW2 just have lackluster naming schemes.

Posted by: aussieheals.6843

aussieheals.6843

Savior of the luxons <3 Lest we forget

IGN: Aussie Archer

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

I was most proud of my Legendary Cartographer Title, and I thought it was the most fun. But, the title I wore most was Tyrian Grandmaster Cartographer, because Prophesies was my favorite Campaign.

Posted by: SoPP.7034

SoPP.7034

I agree with this thread.

There was a greater connection between you and your titles in GW1 compared to GW2.

Honestly aside from ones that made me laugh (Omnomnivore) the rest were mere passing moments at best.

I got GWAMM in GW1 a long time ago, I’ve seen no reason to swap it out.

A warrior, a guardian, and an elementalist walk into an open field…
The Warrior turns to the guardian and says, “Did you hear something?”
Guardian replies, “No, but how’d the elementalist die?”

Posted by: Nage.1520

Nage.1520

Legendary Defender Of Ascalon. I think some people are still trying to get that one done. I got 31 or 32 completed, but never got close to this classic (grinder).

But the point is it wasn’t hard to get. It just took mindless dedication once per day. And today, with dailies in Pre, you don’t even need to death level to get it.

Posted by: Mungrul.9358

Mungrul.9358

I personally think titles were one of the worst things to happen to Guild Wars 1, and they’ve gotten worse in Guild Wars 2.

They promote repeating content you’ve already played over and over and are a cheap device to extend the amount of time you spend playing the game.
They’re easier and cheaper (ridiculously so) for developers to implement than actual content, which is why the majority of new stuff focuses on titles or their modern counterparts, Achievements.

A modern gaming Achievement is rarely a thing to be proud of. Rather, it’s a brand labelling the wearer as someone who has the stamina and lack of imagination required to repeat content to and beyond the point of boredom.

Please note that due to restrictions placed on my account, I am only allowed 1 post per hour.
Therefore I may take some time replying to you.

Posted by: Katreyn.4218

Katreyn.4218

A lot of the titles were unnecessarily grindy in GW1 imo. But with the way the game was set up in the long run it was beneficial to the game. It kept people playing for years, when most probably would play significantly less after finishing the campaigns/dungeons.

I do wish there was more titles in GW2, but hopefully it is something that will come in time. I was hoping the Living Story would implement a lot more titles then it has so far though. I guess they don’t give so many titles because they give us so many achievements to do instead. :S

Nat.4029

Yep, Survivor in Guild Wars 1 was a tough title to get. It took an entire weekend in a solo dungeon. And no one ever got run through dungeons in Guild Wars 1.

I think vanquisher was the only title worth something in that game. The rest of them could be run pretty easily or where massively grindy, or were unnecessarily punishing.

The mapping title comes to mind. Scraping every corner of every map to unfog a single tiny piece….that was just horrible.

The only way I could force my self to do the Cartographer titles is to do them at the same time that I was vanquishing. Having said that though, I still only 100%‘d Elona. Tyria is a friggin’ pain.

Valar Morghulis

Nat.4029

Vanquisher? Buy that.
Missions? Buy that.
Elite skills? Buy that.
Cartog? Buy that.

The only difference is that the actual “titles” in GW2 just have lackluster naming schemes.

People bought vanquishes? What did they do, just afk at the portal to a map? People are lazy….

Valar Morghulis

Posted by: Belzebu.3912

Belzebu.3912

People bought vanquishes? What did they do, just afk at the portal to a map? People are lazy….

Yes, Yes, Agree.

I was kinda sad in GW1 when my title “I’m Very Important” was upgraded to “I Have Many Leather-Bound Books”.

But yeah, GW1 had really cool titles, such as:
Slayer of All, Secret Agent, Holy Lightbringer and all the Gamer Titles are awesome (Mad Skillz, Über Micro Skillz, T3h Haxz0rz Skillz …).

Charter Vanguard [CV] – HoD
Bardy Belzebuson – Ranger Sir Belzebu – Herald
(and the other 8 elite specs maxed too)

Posted by: mage.3570

mage.3570

I maxed out the account-wide titles in GW1 like the Factions, Treasure Hunter, Widsom, etc, allowing me to get 4 GWAMMs with less effort (didn’t have to get any cartographer titles on any nor do Legendary Vanquisher for 2nd GWAMM onwards)

I opened close to 25,000 locked in chests in GW1, so my favorite title was obviously ‘Grandmaster Treasure Hunter’. The thrill of getting rare combos on Tyrian/Faction skins is what kept me going, and some of them made huge fortune for me.

Been there, done that. What’s next?

Posted by: RashanDale.3609

RashanDale.3609

Legendary defender actually became really easy after they introduced some repeatable quests for the Pre-Searing-Ascalon

“Revenant is actual proof that devs read the necromancer forum” – Pelopidas.2140
Gunnar’s Hold

(edited by RashanDale.3609)

Posted by: OldSomalia.6180

OldSomalia.6180

Vanquisher? Buy that.
Missions? Buy that.
Elite skills? Buy that.
Cartog? Buy that.

Priorities.

My guild farmed DoA hardcore, #1 NA (Pandas represent!) and arguably #2 world in our heydey; many members had more important things to do than vanquish (seeing as you can vanquish H/H but can NOT farm DoA at an exceptionally high level in the same way).

So a friend, for instance, would form DoA runs with me all day, then pay a Euro (with all the mad DoA cash $$$) to vanquish on his account, or ferry his account through vanquishes, while he was asleep.

Replace vanquisher with literally anything. Which is good, because high-end DoA was better than literally everything.

Posted by: Sekai.2987

Sekai.2987

I personally think titles were one of the worst things to happen to Guild Wars 1, and they’ve gotten worse in Guild Wars 2.

They promote repeating content you’ve already played over and over and are a cheap device to extend the amount of time you spend playing the game.
They’re easier and cheaper (ridiculously so) for developers to implement than actual content, which is why the majority of new stuff focuses on titles or their modern counterparts, Achievements.

A modern gaming Achievement is rarely a thing to be proud of. Rather, it’s a brand labelling the wearer as someone who has the stamina and lack of imagination required to repeat content to and beyond the point of boredom.

titels were the only thing that was to be done in gw1, what are you gonna do after you finished the story , and done each dungeon one time ?

you had 3 options on gw1:

opt 1 : titel grind , do all titels and get the “god walking among mere mortals”
opt 2 : skin grind , do a dungeon a thousand times , and hope you get that weapon you want so badly

i remember doing that one dungeon where the bonedragon staff dropt hunderts of time , and never got it…without the drive of skin grind, i would ahve never done it

opt 3: pvp , you didnt care about pve and you were only doing pvp, i think the first person to get r15 took about 3 years ? or longer ? i dont remember, its funny when you see here in gw2 ppl crying about titels that they dont get in half a year

soooo…you know what i did ? i have done them all in a period of 3 years of gameplay, i got the gwamm titel , got r10 in pvp (kittening love the emotes), got all shiny armors and weapons i wanted (except the kittening staff)

so without that titels (pve and pvp) i would propably stoped playing gw1 after the story because ther is simply nothing to achive

ps: getting better gear/titels/skins is the core of every mmo, you need to get the players busy for more then some weeks

pss: i have to laugh every time when someone says gw1 was not grindy , they must be some causuals that used gw1 as a chat program and thinking that grind exists only in lvl grind and getting better gear grind..

(edited by Sekai.2987)