To clarify on Ascended Gear...

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Teva.2807

Teva.2807

This is NOT breaking their promise. If people actually use logic, its just another tier. Just like Blues, Just like Greens, Just like yellows, and just like oranges. It is NOT a gear treadmill since you dont get better gear after this. It is just like legendaries being the best. Now its ascended thats the best. It is just more variety, not a broken promise.

Thieftix- Crystal Desert [CLAV] Commander (Aka sexiest thief on CD >:])

(edited by Teva.2807)

Posted by: MajorMelchett.6042

MajorMelchett.6042

Actully i’m pretty sure the complaint was there is no endgame, and endgame does not mean gear grind.

Zilori: Guardian – Desolation.
Zarturo: Elemental – Desolation.

Posted by: JohnnyV.9526

JohnnyV.9526

Can’t fault a community when it ultimately falls on the developer to sift through legit complaints. Also, the community didn’t completely go against the manifesto of the game they only released 2 months ago.

Teva.2807

Can’t fault a community when it ultimately falls on the developer to sift through legit complaints. Also, the community didn’t completely go against the manifesto of the game they only released 2 months ago.

3 months. there is a difference.

Posted by: aaron.7850

aaron.7850

They promised no gear progression, they are now adding gear progression. Of course people are going to get angry.. this was an MMO designed for those that hate traditional MMOs. Or was…..

Posted by: arcqe.6734

arcqe.6734

The problem is, all they saw was the complaint about wanting gear progression.

Never did they see the many people content with how it was.

usually somewhere

Teva.2807

The problem is, all they saw was the complaint about wanting gear progression.

Never did they see the many people content with how it was.

Bacause the amount of QQ’ers overflowed the amount of people that didnt want gear treadmill. Every one person that didnt want gear treadmill i saw like 8 that wanted it.

Posted by: Bertrand.3057

Bertrand.3057

I didn’t realize the community acted as a monolithic entity. Show me one person who asked for gear progression earlier who is complaining now.

Or a 37-page thread that has existed for 12 hours demanding gear progression…

Talleyrand, Captain and Commander of the Bloody Pirates
Asura on patrol in defense of Gandara and Bessie!
Administrator of http://thisisgandara.com

Teva.2807

Look at that 1,900 reply thread. I am sure that those lot that are sad are just people who always supported no gera treadmill.

Posted by: Celestea.4105

Celestea.4105

Everyone does realize it’s only accessories and Back item’s that you can get this month? They are making it very slow, so you have time to get these items before they add more.

Posted by: veldt.5032

veldt.5032

People are crying about a “treadmill”, this is no treadmill, this is just a single step. A new item grade has been added to the game, and how Anet has it in place, 1-2 of each slot will be added each major patch. i.e. this patch is rings and backs, next patch may be gloves, patch after that may be amulets and boots, etc. So that eventually after 1+ years you can have a full ascended set. The stat bonus versus exotics is negligible at best anyway.

But first and foremost, this is ONE new level of gear. ONE. Probably the ONLY one. So you’re going from exotic → ascended. ONE UPGRADE. You people moaning about a treadmill, there already is a tiny ladder in place. You get to 80, probably all in greens. Then you upgrade to rares. Then you upgrade to exotics. A ladder. BUT OH NO, ARENANET HAS ADDED ANOTHER RUNG TO THAT LADDER. Is one more rung really a big deal? Grow up, many people have been wanting some form of meaningful progression, and not just dress up dollhouse all day. Now those people have a SLIGHT form of progression, and the people that don’t like it, GASP, don’t have to do it. And if you feel you HAVE to do it, oh nooooo you have to work to get a whopping TWO ITEMS.

JohnnyV.9526

Everyone does realize it’s only accessories and Back item’s that you can get this month? They are making it very slow, so you have time to get these items before they add more.

What if you aren’t interested in that content but want to do other things that still rely on PvE gear?

Posted by: CaakEE.7109

CaakEE.7109

Posted by: Ebon.7641

Ebon.7641

People would rather roll on the floor and scream than look at this from another perspective.

Posted by: aliquis.9180

aliquis.9180

This IS NOT Arenanet’s fault. This is THE COMMUNITY’s fault. All arenanet wants to do is make the community happy. The community starts QQing 1 month after release saying there is no progression. Arenanet gives them progression. Community QQ’s that they broke a “promise.” Open your eyes, they are trying to make your experience better since you wanted progression. All they did was listen to everyone.

I don’t think you can blame this on the community. The community wasn’t QQing, they were happily playing the game. A small but very vocal group is NOT the community and it’s up to Arenanet to know the difference.

“Otherwise, your MMO becomes all about grinding to get the best gear. We don’t make grindy games.”
-Mike Obrien, President of Arenanet

Posted by: aaron.7850

aaron.7850

This is what happens when developers don’t communicate with their fans, things are misinterpreted, bad decisions are made, and fans are unhappy.

veldt.5032

What if you aren’t interested in that content but want to do other things that still rely on PvE gear?

Pray tell, what content do you want to do that relies on an extra 5 power? Hm? Exploring? Jumping puzzles?

Ebon.7641

You use exotics?

You realize how easy dungeons are with exotics, right? And what other PVE content is there, exactly?

JohnnyV.9526

3 months. there is a difference.

OHHH, sorry…three months. It took them an extra month to go completely against their own manifesto. I’m sorry. Nothing to see here, everyone go after the illustrious carrot A-Net promised we wouldn’t have to run after.

JohnnyV.9526

You use exotics?

You realize how easy dungeons are with exotics, right? And what other PVE content is there, exactly?

There is this little mini-game called WvW. You know, where you take the armor and weapons you’ve earned in other parts of the game. Oh, silly me, it’s such an insignificant part of the game…who cares about those people. Amiright?

Teva.2807

Oh my god. It is not even a carrot! It is just another tier. Just like greens, and blues, and whites, Its progression.

Posted by: Kojiden.8405

Kojiden.8405

Me, personally, I was wanting more game content for higher level characters. That’s not the same as wanting higher tier gear.

Teva.2807

okay i edited my post to clarify this mess better.

Posted by: Dahkeus.8243

Dahkeus.8243

Progression does not have to be done by adding in a gear treadmill.

JohnnyV.9526

Oh my god. It is not even a carrot! It is just another tier. Just like greens, and blues, and whites, Its progression.

Take a deep breath, read what you just wrote and then respond again. Are you unfamiliar with the idea of the carrot metaphor?

Posted by: Venn.8931

Venn.8931

People are crying about a “treadmill”, this is no treadmill, this is just a single step.

Yo do realize what a treadmill actually begins with, right?

JohnnyV.9526

This is NOT breaking their promise. If people actually use logic, its just another tier. Just like Blues, Just like Greens, Just like yellows, and just like oranges. It is NOT a gear treadmill since you dont get better gear after this. It is just like legendaries being the best. Now its ascended thats the best. It is just more variety, not a broken promise.

But Legendaries weren’t better than Exotics in the stat department. Actually, read what they posted about how Legendaries will fare next to the Ascended tier…

“You’ll also see more Legendary items in the future and an update to our existing Legendary weapons. Legendary items were always intended to be on par with other “best-in-slot” items. So fear not, all existing Legendary weapons, which are currently on par with Exotics, will be upgraded to be on par with Ascended weapons at the same time that we add Ascended weapons to the game. Thus Legendaries will remain “best-in-slot” items. All Legendary items going forward will be of Ascended power. We also have plans to add more fun ways to acquire Legendary precursor items with a more “scavenger hunt” feel than they are acquired currently.”

Legendaries were just the step above exotics on the horizontal progression ladder. Now they’ve completely flipped the ladder and have made it vertical again. How can you not see that?

Posted by: Naoko.7096

Naoko.7096

Yeah. I agree.

Those players who feel “betrayed” should see it like this.

Imagine this:
- Exotic Tier wasn’t released during game launch.
- They implant a new tier called exotic in-between rare and legendary on Nov 15.

Isn’t it going to be the same?
There’s no gear treadmill element in this.

Anet still live up to it’s promises. You will still able to explore all content with any tier equipments. It’s not like traditional mmo treadmill where you must get gear X to experience content X. In GW2, you’re able to experience 100% of the content.

Teva.2807

But Legendaries weren’t better than Exotics in the stat department. Actually, read what they posted about how Legendaries will fare next to the Ascended tier…

“You’ll also see more Legendary items in the future and an update to our existing Legendary weapons. Legendary items were always intended to be on par with other “best-in-slot” items. So fear not, all existing Legendary weapons, which are currently on par with Exotics, will be upgraded to be on par with Ascended weapons at the same time that we add Ascended weapons to the game. Thus Legendaries will remain “best-in-slot” items. All Legendary items going forward will be of Ascended power. We also have plans to add more fun ways to acquire Legendary precursor items with a more “scavenger hunt” feel than they are acquired currently.”

Legendaries were just the step above exotics on the horizontal progression ladder. Now they’ve completely flipped the ladder and have made it vertical again. How can you not see that?

Who cares if its vertical? that means there are more to the game now and more progression. That does not mean they broke their promise of no gear treadmills and ruining fun. .-.

Teva.2807

Yeah. I agree.

Imagine this:
- They implant a new tier called exotic in-between rare and legendary on Nov 15.

Anet still live up to it’s promises. You will still able to explore all content with any tier equipments. It’s not like traditional mmo treadmill where you must get gear X to experience content X. In GW2, you’re able to experience 100% of the content.

This. This This This This. This.

Posted by: Celestea.4105

Celestea.4105

You use exotics?

There is this little mini-game called WvW. You know, where you take the armor and weapons you’ve earned in other parts of the game. Oh, silly me, it’s such an insignificant part of the game…who cares about those people. Amiright?

I can agree with you here. They need to make these items available for players who only do WvW. You shouldn’t have to do dungeons in order to be on a even playing field in WvW.

Hopefully they have implemented ways for players to get these items through WvW.

Posted by: Shade.8971

Shade.8971

I can buy exotics off the TP, I now have to grind a dungeon to get new gear with better stats and an infusion slot, a now required defense, in order to progress effectively in the dungeon. I didn’t mind grinding a dungeon for skins, I wasn’t bothered when I couldn’t make a run, but this is different.

veldt.5032

Yeah. I agree.

Imagine this:

This this this this this a thousand times this. I salute you, sir, for having the common sense and decency to see this in a rational light instead of reaching for the nearest torch and pitchfork.

This system changes NOTHING for the core mechanics of the game, everyone try looking at it in a different light like this fine upstanding gentleman has.

Teva.2807

I can buy exotics off the TP, I now have to grind a dungeon to get new gear with better stats and an infusion slot, a now required defense, in order to progress effectively in the dungeon. I didn’t mind grinding a dungeon for skins, I wasn’t bothered when I couldn’t make a run, but this is different.

It was the same before anyways. Its not REQUIRED defense, its a helpful defense. Just like running dungeons with exotics. Its not REQUIRED, but its helpful. If you run dungeons with white armor you are kittened.

JohnnyV.9526

Yeah. I agree.

Imagine this:

Ah, with exotics we’re talking about the last level of end game armor tiers. In terms of “stats”. Yes, I will concede that A-Net doesn’t have “requirements” for dungeons and other aspects of the game.

However, they have stated numerous times in their development cycle how they were going to buck the trend of MMO’s; by not requiring the player-base to continually grind out equipment to remain on an even playing field with even the most hardcore of players. Looking to Guild Wars 1 for the prime example of this ideal. For the entire run of that game, never once did they increase the max ceiling of stats for the last tier of armor/weapons. And that game was out for YEARS. Guild Wars 2 is out for “3 months”, and they’re already telling players that the armor they currently have is already obsolete.

What about those WvW players who are done exploring the PvE side of the game and simply want to fight in the Eternal Battlegrounds? Now they have to take time from doing what they love to do to remain on an even playing field with those who have the Ascended Armor set.

That or they can just spend gold to get it. Which is what this update reeks of, A-Net trying to get people to spend money on gold so they can have the same stat line as everyone else at the “new armor ceiling”.

Also, the Ascended Armor set goes against the whole ideal of “allowing the content to drive the fun of the end-game”. Now it’s getting the pink armor instead of the yellow armor that’s going to be driving the end-game.

(edited by JohnnyV.9526)

Posted by: cesmode.4257

cesmode.4257

Making this gear have the best in slot stats, a term they used in this blog, is breaking their promise. Not to mention, this is the tip of the iceberg, as mentioned in their blog. Not to mention, why release this 2 months after release? We have all poured hours, hundreds of gold, hundreds of thousands of kharma into exotic gear only to be crapped on by ascended.

You sir are completely incorrect.

Karma is as abundant as air, and as useless as the Kardashians.

Posted by: Waffler.1257

Waffler.1257

Yeah. I agree.

Imagine this:

I don’t care about exploring content. I absolutely hate leveling and going through dungeons. All I care about is PvP in WvW, and when someone else is able to beat me not because of skill, but because they have more free time on their hands to do dungeon grinding, the game looses its appeal. Won’t be playing GW2 for a few months until Anet decides what direction they feel like taking the game so I can decide if it’s worth my time.

Posted by: TheDaiBish.9735

TheDaiBish.9735

I still think we’re missing some info:

• Will Ascended armour be upgradable with Runes? If not, increased stats make sense (to bring it on par with runes, and to make up for the lack of bonuses). If this is the case, then Exotics may yet still be the best for WvW (I mean, what would you rather have: that bit of extra power of that bonus that fits your playstyle?).
Life is a journey.
Time is a river.
The door is ajar.

Posted by: Waffler.1257

Waffler.1257

• Will Ascended armour be upgradable with Runes? If not, increased stats make sense (to bring it on par with runes, and to make up for the lack of bonuses). If this is the case, then Exotics may yet still be the best for WvW (I mean, what would you rather have: that bit of extra power of that bonus that fits your playstyle?).

Post says this

“The stats and functionality normally added to gear through upgrade components are actually built into Ascended items. "

So the base stats of ascended items will be slightly better than exotics + upgrade slots and they get the infusion slot.

Posted by: Doomdesire.9365

Doomdesire.9365

Exotics were too easy to get. Gave no purpose in the game to many players including me after earning exotics in a few weeks. This isn’t a treadmill. This is just one step up for the hardcore players. Anet gives the sense that it won’t be overwhelmingly more powerful, and based on the ring picture provided it doesn’t.

Posted by: Swagger.1459

Swagger.1459

@Naoko.7096

read the quote please.

“In the upcoming Fractals of the Mists dungeon, we’ll introduce a new monster condition called Agony.

This extremely dangerous condition ticks percentages of player health away and can’t be cleansed by normal means. Players who wish to delve deep into the Fractals will find that Agony makes progress increasingly difficult, until they reach the point where some defense against this condition is a must. The only way to mitigate Agony damage is by building up resistance through Infusions, a new type of upgrade component that can be acquired in the Mystic Forge.”

i personaly don’t mind gear progression, but using the words “must” AND “mystic forge” are not getting me really excited.

New Main- 80 Thief – P/P- Vault Spam Pro

221 hours over 1,581 days of bank space/hot pve/lion’s arch afk and some wvw.

Posted by: Doctor Fu Manchu.4203

Doctor Fu Manchu.4203

I JUST grinded to all of my Exotics…now they are telling me I have to grind another full tier to be competitive in WvW???!!!! kitten off! Some people don’t have the time or desire to grind dungeons 24/7! I just want to WvW!

Solution: Ban those extra stats from WvW and theres no problem. Let the noobs run their dungeons 300 hours a week with their godly gear all they want. When they enter WvW they should still be owned regardless or not whether they can kill an AI 500 times or not.

Character: Doctor Fu Manchu (Level 80 Thief)
Guild: Sublime Brothers [Bro]
Server: Fort Aspenwood

(edited by Doctor Fu Manchu.4203)

Posted by: Vena.8436

Vena.8436

Except there’s no indication that you cannot get pow/vit/tough gear in Ascended form, giving you 10-15% better stats overall.

Vena/Var – Guardian/Thief
[Eon] – Blackgate

Posted by: Venn.8931

Venn.8931

Hi kids. Today’s word is: “extrapolation”. Extrapolation means creating a tangent line at the end of the known data and extending it beyond that limit.

The known line is 2 items with minor additional stat bonuses within 2 short months. Extrapolate that to 12 months or 36 months and you have a character that’s exponentially and disproportionately more powerful than a character that only played WvW, sPVP or jumping puzzles.

Posted by: LiveSpartan.8206

LiveSpartan.8206

I JUST grinded to all of my Exotics…now they are telling me I have to grind another full tier to be competitive in WvW???!!!! kitten off! Some people don’t have the time or desire to grind dungeons 24/7! I just want to WvW!

Solution: Ban those extra stats from WvW and theres no problem. Let the noobs run their dungeons 300 hours a week with their godly gear all they want. When they enter WvW they should still be owned regardless or not whether they can kill an AI 500 times or not.

The only Ascended gear in this is a ring and back item.

Posted by: Sarrs.4831

Sarrs.4831

I got my current set of gear under the impression I wouldn’t have to get new gear for a good while, possibly being able to keep it forever, unless I decided the looks of some new gear. This impression seems to have been wrong. I am not happy with this revelation.

Nalhadia – Kaineng

Posted by: zaxziakohl.5243

zaxziakohl.5243

Post says this

“The stats and functionality normally added to gear through upgrade components are actually built into Ascended items. "

So the base stats of ascended items will be slightly better than exotics + upgrade slots and they get the infusion slot.

But this also means you can’t pick your bonuses.

So your standard what…3 builds…are set with the ascended gear. The focused builds that took some time and thinking to come up with, the unusual builds, are still better in exotics.

Lack of customization balances out the extra stats. I run a non-standard build, and it was kitten near to impossible for me to find 80 exotics that fit what I wanted (still not entirely satisfied btw..) so I had to take one type of armour and add in the stat bonus I wanted. Which often times varied from the gear stat type. This option will not be available in Ascended gear. This also means that in the armour pieces the runes will be built in and probably specific to that dungeon. This means to get the rune effects you really want, you will need exotics for WvW or be at a disadvantage…

Posted by: Vena.8436

Vena.8436

The only Ascended gear in this is a ring and back item.

It doesn’t matter. They don’t belong in any form of PvP. You can get exotics by WvWing, you can get your whole set through WvW. You should not be forced to PvE in order to WvW.

This garbage should not be allowed in WvW. Period.

It shouldn’t even be in this game but, as can be seen, ArenaNet is no more.

Vena/Var – Guardian/Thief
[Eon] – Blackgate

Ebon.7641

You use exotics?

I don’t consider WvW PVE content, but I realize how the gear carries over. I also realize that it’s a serious problem. I hope they have a solution. I don’t WvW but I understand how this could potentially seriously affect it

Teva.2807

Too many people are kittening dramatic about this. How about you stop complaining and raging and flaming until you ACTUALLY PLAY THE NEW UPDATE. Maybe it isnt as bad and everyone here is exaggerating? It isnt even broken promises anyways.