To use SP or not to use SP before HOT

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Mustafa.7684

Mustafa.7684

Since its confirmed that skill points will no longer be obtainable after the expansion, Does anyone know if they will be beneficial after the expansion? Or should I use them now?

Posted by: Behellagh.1468

Behellagh.1468

Early in the Twitch stream they said the new trait system will drop before HoT.

We are heroes. This is what we do!

RIP City of Heroes

Posted by: lukejoe.1592

lukejoe.1592

The site says that skill challenges are becoming hero challenges and hero points will replace skill points, so I’d imagine they would just convert them 1-1.

Posted by: Donari.5237

Donari.5237

You don’t need to use them as a vanishing resource. They are getting converted to a currency. In fact, buying any skills or traits now would be a waste, as when the system changes you will have only as many Hero Points as you’ve gained via leveling and doing the skill challenges in the maps.

I’ve seen another thread commenting on the upsurge in people Forging promoted mats and thus driving prices down on the TP. I’d wager the new currency will work to buy the exact same things skill points are now buying, so that’s futile.

Now, if there is a non-Forge way to make money off skill points, I’d be keen to do that since I don’t use the Forge in any meaningful manner. Thus making gold off my scrolls before they become Forge-only would be of use to me. Anyone know if such a method exists?

Posted by: Just a flesh wound.3589

Just a flesh wound.3589

I wouldn’t use them. I think that all skills and traits will be locked and each char will be given hero points according to their level and amount of content they’ve done. So, if this is true then using the skill points now means that when the update hits, the skills you unlocked with them are now locked and those scrolls are gone and can’t be turned into Mystic Forge crafting currency.

If it were me, I’d try to get as many skill points done in the world to get as many hero points as I can before the skill points are removed and hero challenges are put in.

Be careful what you ask for
ANet may give it to you.

Posted by: lordkrall.7241

lordkrall.7241

The site says that skill challenges are becoming hero challenges and hero points will replace skill points, so I’d imagine they would just convert them 1-1.

Only skill points gained from skill challenges though.
The vast majority of skill points however are gained from Scrolls and leveling, neither which will be converted to Hero Points.

Krall Bloodsword – Mesmer
Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

There is no reason to save them nor to use them up early. If you have excess skill points for your level/map completion progress, they will be converted into currency. That currency will be used to purchase stuff used in the Mystic Forge, which is what we use excess skill points for now.

tl;dr it’s not changing enough to worry about imo

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”

Posted by: Celtic Lady.3729

Celtic Lady.3729

I used all of my SP scrolls I had been saving. Since SP will get turned into currency whether you’ve got them on your characters or in scroll form, it was a waste of space to let the scrolls sit in my bank, so I read them all, dividing them evenly between my characters.

Just a flesh wound.3589

If you just use them to add skills points to a character, then that shouldn’t matter. But if you use them to buy skills and traits that become locked again after the update, then you are wasting them, if I’m understanding it right.

ANet may give it to you.

Illconceived Was Na.9781

If you just use them to add skills points to a character, then that shouldn’t matter. But if you use them to buy skills and traits that become locked again after the update, then you are wasting them, if I’m understanding it right.

I don’t think they said one way or the other. It wouldn’t be hard for them to figure out how many SPs to refund for that.

I’d be more concerned for people who spent gold to unlock traits; it might be easy to figure out the amount they spent, but ANet might not want to distribute that much gold into the economy all at once.

Posted by: Celtic Lady.3729

Celtic Lady.3729

Yeah, I think it’s highly unlikely that they’ll refund gold for traits bought, even though that would be the fair thing to do, especially if people are being required to re-unlock those traits.

Just a flesh wound.3589

I don’t think they said one way or the other. It wouldn’t be hard for them to figure out how many SPs to refund for that.

I’d be more concerned for people who spent gold to unlock traits; it might be easy to figure out the amount they spent, but ANet might not want to distribute that much gold into the economy all at once.

I meant that the scrolls will be a currency later and the skill points you get in the world will go towards hero points (as I understand it).

So, let’s say someone had 50 skill point scrolls and uses them to buy skills. When the game updates, those skills are locked again and the skill point scrolls he could have had to convert to Mystic Forge currency, are gone. If he instead had made an effort to get the ingame skill points to unlock the skills, after the game updated, the skills would be again be locked but he would have some hero points from doing the ingame skill points and 50 scrolls that are converted to Mystic Forge currency.

Or am I misunderstanding it?

ANet may give it to you.

Posted by: darkprecure.6129

darkprecure.6129

They should give out the new Currency or Hero-Points for SP spent on Skills, too.
It would be unfair to those people who bought all Skills when they could have bought Mystic Forge items or just saved them aswell.

Behellagh.1468

They should give out the new Currency or Hero-Points for SP spent on Skills, too.
It would be unfair to those people who bought all Skills when they could have bought Mystic Forge items or just saved them aswell.

Which could be possible if they tracked it. Question is did they have the foresight to track how you got your trait, quest or purchase.

RIP City of Heroes

Posted by: Tacit Ronin.2097

Tacit Ronin.2097

Would it be at all beneficial to save skill points but not actively spend them on skills. Would they all be converted to hero points? Or is there a system where they see what level my character is and which skill challenges he’s completed and I get the hero points from that when I log in after the trait change? and they’ll also know how many scrolls I’ve used on a character and so they’ll gift me however many mats that equates to.

I’m a little confused by this process to be honest.

Just a flesh wound.3589

Would it be at all beneficial to save skill points but not actively spend them on skills.

If you want the Mystic forge scrolls, yes. If not, no

Would they all be converted to hero points? Or is there a system where they see what level my character is and which skill challenges he’s completed and I get the hero points from that when I log in after the trait change?

Probably not a one to one conversion of skill point challenges to hero points but some sort of ratio. As I understand it, at update each char will get hero points, the number of which depends on its level and the number of skill point challenges it has completed.

and they’ll also know how many scrolls I’ve used on a character and so they’ll gift me however many mats that equates to.

I don’t think so. It’s going to be how many you have remaining on your characters hero panel (and sitting in your inventory) that will be converted to Mystic Forge charges/currency. Any scrolls consumed and used to buy skills or items for the MF before the update are gone.

I’m a little confused by this process to be honest.

Yah. Aren’t we all

ANet may give it to you.

Posted by: Alaia Skyhawk.5064

Alaia Skyhawk.5064

Guys, I wouldn’t panic over having stuff unlocked with SP from scrolls being “locked again”. I doubt Anet would penalize players in that way, especially when they didn’t the last time trait unlocking was changed. They’ll probably just “grandfather” existing characters into the new system (with all currently unlocked traits retained) the way they did last time

Posted by: Orpheal.8263

Orpheal.8263

All excess skill points that you have at the moment, where skill points get changed into a limited amount of hero points, will get changed into a new currency material that you will be able to use for Miyani at the Mystic forge.

So it plays no role i would say if you use all your skill point roles now, or later, because if you use them later I guess anet will change the effect of those items to generate directly that new currency material instead of skill points.

So lets say you have a stack of skill poitn scrolls..
If you use themm all now, then you have not 250 skills points more on excess when the hero points come, which will get automatically changed then into that new materil.

If you use the after the change, the changed effect of the scrolls will give you directly than that new material.

Basicalyl both ways would end then just in the same way with you getting just materials that you will be able to use for things like Crystals, philosophers stoens ect. at Miyani, cause skill points won’t exist anymore then after that change.

Personally I like the idea behind sub classes ~ quoted from Chris Whiteside

Posted by: Chobiko.9182

Chobiko.9182

Basically you don’t want to use SP, and you might want to do as many skill challenges as possible before the patch because A: you’ll get more hero points, and B: you’ll get the skill points from the skill challenges converted into the new currency. It’s win-win.

Posted by: Deedrick.4372

Deedrick.4372

I don’t get the panic / confusion. They have said hero points(hp) are coming from x number of current skill points. I am only assuming that the skill points where you have to fight to get your skill points(sp), those I would guess are becoming hp, the others will be sp. While they don’t have a name for the currency ready for public record, they did say the excess sp will become a currency and go in the wallet. So use them now, or later, it will be the same thing. Also It will be very easy to adjust hp and non 80 / non 100 mapped toons, by a level + x sp in the hp group completed. Every thing past that gets converted to sp currency.

So the only real difference is, do you want to drive down trading post prices by trying to "dump" your sp that isn’t going any where anyways. Please do, I like cheap stuff on tp cause noob panic/scares like this.

Posted by: sorudo.9054

sorudo.9054

all i am wondering about is if they actually have something useful to buy ones the SP’s are changed in the different currency, i barely to never use the MF so any change like that would be quite useless unless there is some profit out of this.

Posted by: Guhracie.3419

Guhracie.3419

The vast majority of skill points however are gained from Scrolls and leveling, neither which will be converted to Hero Points.

This is false. Leveling does count for the incoming hero point system. All other skill points will be converted to Djinngots.

“Be angry about legendary weapons, sure, but what about the recent drought of content?”
-Mike O’Brien
Because we can’t be angry about both?

lordkrall.7241

This is false. Leveling does count for the incoming hero point system. All other skill points will be converted to Djinngots.

Yes, leveling does count. But it still won’t be a 1-1 transfer.
It will count for the number of LEVELS you have and the number of skill challenges you have completed.
Skill points themselves will not be converted to Hero Points however.

Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

Posted by: Deedrick.4372

Deedrick.4372

if your level 37 with 1000 sp from scrolls, I doubt they will give you 100% of your hero points. If you have say 0 map completion because you did eotm leeching or something like that, then you would get 37 levels + 0 from map exploration and all the extra sp would go to wallets.

As far as what they are going to be able to purchase, it is all speculation, but I doubt it will very different (if at all) from the items that cost SP from MF attendant. Your basic needs for vision crystals, siege u/g, and MF recipe components.

Posted by: lukejoe.1592

lukejoe.1592

You’d have to tell me where you saw that. There really doesn’t seem for there to be a reason for that to be true. But I clearly remember reading about leveling as a way to gain hero points.

I suppose you could gamble that they will not convert the actual scroll, and might want to find a home for those points on a characters now, but seems like they would be making more work for themselves if they tried to distinguish where your points came from after the fact.

They’d have a billion people claiming they counted their points wrong…and seriously I doubt they have ever built that reporting feature.

Posted by: Kal Spiro.9745

Kal Spiro.9745

You’d have to tell me where you saw that. There really doesn’t seem for there to be a reason for that to be true. But I clearly remember reading about leveling as a way to gain hero points.

I suppose you could gamble that they will not convert the actual scroll, and might want to find a home for those points on a characters now, but seems like they would be making more work for themselves if they tried to distinguish where your points came from after the fact.

They’d have a billion people claiming they counted their points wrong…and seriously I doubt they have ever built that reporting feature.

This is in the blog. All excess skill points and all skill point consumables will be converted to mystic forge mats

Tarnished Coast Kal Spiro – Ranger (80), LB/S-D, Eagle/Wolf, Signet, M/S/WS #SABorRiot
|Daredevil|Ranger|Guardian|Scrapper|Necromancer|Berserker|Dragonhunter|Mesmer|Elementalist
|Deadeye|Warrior|Herald|Daredevil|Reaper|Spellbreaker

Posted by: Pandaman.4758

Pandaman.4758

The Specialization blog states that you will get 400 hero points from leveling to 80, while the Mastery blog states you won’t earn “skill” (now hero) points for leveling past 80, so it’s really quite simple: current total SP – (SP based on level + number challenges completed) = amount of points to be refunded as the new MF material.

(edited by Pandaman.4758)

Just a flesh wound.3589

The Specialization blog states that you will get 400 hero points from leveling to 80, while the Mastery blog states you won’t earn “skill” (now hero) points for leveling past 80, so it’s really quite simple: current total SP – (SP based on level + number challenges completed) = amount of points to be refunded as the new MF material.

My only concern is that it’s a new material and not a new currency. I have 8 characters with around 610 excess skill points each, plus another three stacks of skill scrolls, if they’re converting all of this to a material like geodes or bandit crests, I’m going to lose 20 bank slots instantly – and I’ve only been playing for a year. Two year vets are probably going to lose double that.

From what they have said, it sounds like you get an item in your inventory. When you click on the item it turns into a currency in your wallet. After that, this new item will drop from whatever used to give skill points (PvP, champ bags) and again, you will have to click on it to convert it into currency.

http://massivelyop.net/2015/04/23/exclusive-guild-wars-2-heart-of-thorns-interview-unwraps-specializations-and-traits/
“If you already have Scrolls of Knowledge and a bunch of existing skill points, you will end up with a lot of crafting material that converts into a new currency that will be used in the Mystic Forge.”

https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/specializations-part-two-reward-tracks-and-elite-specializations/
“Old skill points in excess of those earned by leveling and skill challenges will be converted into crafting materials for the Mystic Forge. Items and activities that were previously repeatable sources of skill points will now also provide that same crafting material.”

ANet may give it to you.

(edited by Just a flesh wound.3589)

Pandaman.4758

My only concern is that it’s a new material and not a new currency. I have 8 characters with around 610 excess skill points each, plus another three stacks of skill scrolls, if they’re converting all of this to a material like geodes or bandit crests, I’m going to lose 20 bank slots instantly – and I’ve only been playing for a year. Two year vets are probably going to lose double that.

From what they have said, it sounds like you get an item in your inventory. When you click on the item it turns into a currency in your wallet.

http://massivelyop.net/2015/04/23/exclusive-guild-wars-2-heart-of-thorns-interview-unwraps-specializations-and-traits/
“If you already have Scrolls of Knowledge and a bunch of existing skill points, you will end up with a lot of crafting material that converts into a new currency that will be used in the Mystic Forge.”

After that, this new item will drop from whatever used you give skill points (PvP, champ bags), and again, you will have to clink on it to convert it into currency.

https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/specializations-part-two-reward-tracks-and-elite-specializations/
“Old skill points in excess of those earned by leveling and skill challenges will be converted into crafting materials for the Mystic Forge. Items and activities that were previously repeatable sources of skill points will now also provide that same crafting material.”

Hehe, yes, I looked over the blog again and realized they said the material would be an intermediate step to converting to currency, didn’t edit my post fast enough though.

Posted by: Astralporing.1957

Astralporing.1957

That’s not what they said. They said that only currently posessed skill points in excess of the hero point cap will get converted to crafting currency. That suggests that those up to a cap will get converted to hero points.

Actions, not words.
Remember, remember, 15th of November

Posted by: Mizuki Kusanagi.6584

Mizuki Kusanagi.6584

What’s happening with respect to stuff that costs SP to buy, e.g. various items from http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Miyani
?

Just a flesh wound.3589

What’s happening with respect to stuff that costs SP to buy, e.g. various items from http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Miyani
?

ANet may give it to you.

Pandaman.4758

?

Skill points will be converted into mystic forge materials, which in turn will be converted into a new currency, which in turn will be used to buy materials from Miyani.

Posted by: Kal Spiro.9745

Kal Spiro.9745

That’s not what they said. They said that only currently posessed skill points in excess of the hero point cap will get converted to crafting currency. That suggests that those up to a cap will get converted to hero points.

That cap is based on your level and completed challenges. They can’t give you a single point over what you would have earned in the new system because to do so would interfere with the new system.

Tarnished Coast Kal Spiro – Ranger (80), LB/S-D, Eagle/Wolf, Signet, M/S/WS #SABorRiot
|Daredevil|Ranger|Guardian|Scrapper|Necromancer|Berserker|Dragonhunter|Mesmer|Elementalist
|Deadeye|Warrior|Herald|Daredevil|Reaper|Spellbreaker

Posted by: Lakshmi.5941

Lakshmi.5941

?

The confusing thing is that this sounds like Scroll of Knowledge > mystery crafting mat > Mystic Forge wallet currency. Why make the intermediate conversion at all? Why not go straight from Scroll of Knowledge to the new currency?

Posted by: GummiBear.2756

GummiBear.2756

?

The confusing thing is that this sounds like Scroll of Knowledge > mystery crafting mat > Mystic Forge wallet currency. Why make the intermediate conversion at all? Why not go straight from Scroll of Knowledge to the new currency?

Could be technical reasons for that

Posted by: TheGrimm.5624

TheGrimm.5624

Recommending to people to sit on them if they were doing so before and work on the open world skill challenges. I am theory crafting some of the same above that if they wanted they could do a mass refund, calculate the number of HP that people have based on level and map completion and apply that to the character. This works under the assumption more details would be released and that if you were sitting on SoK before then you weren’t using them anyway and why not get a little more of the map completion done in advance. Either case good hunting theory-crafting to you!

GW/PoTBS/WAR/Rift/WAR/GW2/CU

De Mortuis Nil Nisi Bonum.

Just a flesh wound.3589

?

They will be dropping from containers (PvP and champ bags) so they need an item to drop from the container. Just like transmutation charges, which drop from PvP containers into your inventory and you click on it to make it currency in your wallet.

They could undoubtably have it go directly into the wallet, but they must think that people feel more rewarded when they actually see an item. If it goes directly into the wallet, a lot of people won’t see it and won’t know they got it out of that container.

ANet may give it to you.

(edited by Just a flesh wound.3589)

Behellagh.1468

?

Could be technical reasons for that

Or there could be additional uses for that intermediate material other than converting them to Djingots.

RIP City of Heroes

Posted by: Decrypter.1785

Decrypter.1785

Save em tbh , theyre getting switched to hero points

[WM]give us in game ladder

lordkrall.7241

No they aren’t.

Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

Just a flesh wound.3589

No, they are not.

When the update comes, any unused skill points and skill point scrolls will be converted to the “crafting material” which can be clicked to convert them into a currency in your wallet.

Your char will receive at that time Hero points, a minimum of 400 to a maximum of some finite number (possibly 465). The hero points will be used to unlock your skills and traits.

ANet may give it to you.

Illconceived Was Na.9781

They haven’t specifically said whether the scrolls will automatically turn into the new currency. I think it’s more likely that you’ll still have to consume them (just like we did with transmutation crystals/stones when the wardrobe went live).